What has happened to your manifesto!?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Smoosh.2718

Smoosh.2718

Quoting your own manifesto carried out in 2011, you stated (sorry Colin for dropping you in here) ‘We just dont want players to grind in Guild Wars 2’.
The old way of making legendary weapons was fine, so why was there a need to go completely over the top with the time gating of materials along with a stupidly high number of the same material you can only make one of per day, just for the new precursors. Surely with a system like this in place you should remove the daily craft restriction on all T7 materials.

Looking at the new list of what is needed for the new legendary weapons this is the most grindy thing I’ve seen in this game, which goes against the 2011 statement on what direction you guys wanted this game to go in.

https://youtu.be/FU1JUwPqzQY?t=1m22s

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

This has been answered so many times as it is now ridiculous to even think about bringing up something that was just a “this is what we would like” and as things change and grow things get cut and added.
As for the grinding …… I have been playing since head-start/beta and I have yet to grind. Not once have I grinded and I have played just about every day. I am not only doing the old Bolt but also every other new legendary weapon in the game at the moment. I am collecting as I go and not worrying about how fast I get them done. For me it is not a contest to see how fast I get them done. I am just letting the pieces come when they come. Having too much fun just playing to think about “oh crap I don’t have this legendary yet”

Smoosh.2718

Ok, picture yourself as someone who has just hit level 80 been playing for 3 or 4 months and wants to get the new legendary weapon. How on earth are they to get the gold or materials without resorting to heavy heavy grind?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Ohhhhh —-- you wanted a legendary to be easy? It took almost 3 yrs before I had a precursor drop for the one I am working on now. I did not spend my gold or RL money just to play the mystic toilet to try for one. It’s a legendary which to me means it will take time and lots of it since I will not grind. I will just let it happen. Since I had sold lots of stuff on the TP for gold, no I was not playing it, just selling there for more than at merchants, I had lots of gold to get the ability to try for all at once while just playing all over the core and HoT areas.

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

By playing for another year, collecting things as you go and play the game, obviously.

Seriously, Legendaries are hard work, they were designed to be a long-term goal for players to work towards… Not something handed out as a participation award to every bloke who hit 80.

There is no grind involved. Legendaries are not substantially better than other gear, they’re on par with Ascended weapons. The one thing they have going for them is Stat Changing, and that’s nothing short of a QoL addition that rewards those who work towards it. Legendaries are not required to play the game anywhere, or to progress past some sort of wall. They’re vanity items. Bragging rights for those who worked towards them. And that’s it.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Ok, picture yourself as someone who has just hit level 80 been playing for 3 or 4 months and wants to get the new legendary weapon. How on earth are they to get the gold or materials without resorting to heavy heavy grind?

It’s funny that you make it sound like being a 3-4 month old player is something special to be catered to … if you have played more than 3-4 months, you’ve BEEN there and somehow, managed to get through it.

How to get gold, etc… the same way everyone who have been playing since beta does … being ingame only 3-4 months is NOT a barrier to doing anything in this game.

Smoosh.2718

To clarify I’ve been playing for over a year and a bit, have 4 legendary weapons and put in over 3k hours into this game. This topic isnt just about the legendary weapons but more about the actual manifesto for the direction of the game. Why has the no grind policy been thrown out the window?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

To clarify I’ve been playing for over a year and a bit, have 4 legendary weapons and put in over 3k hours into this game. This topic isnt just about the legendary weapons but more about the actual manifesto for the direction of the game. Why has the no grind policy been thrown out the window?

It havent they just noticed oh kitten people need stuff to do or they wont play our game.
So they put in stuff for you to do.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Quoting your own manifesto carried out in 2011, you stated (sorry Colin for dropping you in here) ‘We just dont want players to grind in Guild Wars 2’.
The old way of making legendary weapons was fine, so why was there a need to go completely over the top with the time gating of materials along with a stupidly high number of the same material you can only make one of per day, just for the new precursors. Surely with a system like this in place you should remove the daily craft restriction on all T7 materials.

Looking at the new list of what is needed for the new legendary weapons this is the most grindy thing I’ve seen in this game, which goes against the 2011 statement on what direction you guys wanted this game to go in.

• Colin used “grind” to mean collect a new tier of gear every time the game changed. And guess what? We don’t do that in GW2 (since HoT didn’t introduce new tiers of gear).
  • The community overwhelming asked for scavenger hunts in their legendary journeys (I still don’t like the idea, but I have to admit that others do).
  • The community also asked that it wouldn’t be easy or fast to create legendaries.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

Because legendaries are an optional cosmetic/convenience items only and are meant as long term end game content. They arent required to take part in any content whatsoever and therefore you dont have to grind for them at all if you dont want to.

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

They buy gold from Anet.

I’m not being facetious. This is the new business model for the game. We’ll see more of it in the future. And as people get used to it, it will be more blatant.

And, btw, I have all ascended, and my legendary(s) for my one (1) toon. So I don’t care about the difficulty anymore. I got mine.

When I saw the direction the game was headed with HoT, I deleted my Alts, and sold all the Ascended Mats I was collecting for them and then sold it for a small fortune on TP.

(edited by Soon.5240)

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

• Colin used “grind” to mean collect a new tier of gear every time the game changed. And guess what? We don’t do that in GW2 (since HoT didn’t introduce new tiers of gear).
  • The community overwhelming asked for scavenger hunts in their legendary journeys (I still don’t like the idea, but I have to admit that others do).
  • The community also asked that it wouldn’t be easy or fast to create legendaries.

legendary armor says Hi
exotics where suppose to be ok for raids the players say NOPE full ascended or gtfo
once legendary armor is out that will be the new MUST have to raid later raids that come out, Why ? simple the ability to change stats boss 1 condi is better so every one go condi boss 2 pure zerk physical dmg so so this will be the new gear grind pve over world for exotic then get full ascended to do noob raids for full legendary then you can finally raid the new raids … that’s the new gear grind don’t matter if that’s not how they intended it raiders from other games will make there own elite rules any way

Raids should be removed ASAP

Obtena.7952

There is nothing that says the game direction can’t change. I’m not schooling you on ‘no-grind’; there are multiple threads correcting people that believe it.

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

exotics where suppose to be ok for raids the players say NOPE full ascended or gtfo…

…. that’s the new gear grind don’t matter if that’s not how they intended it raiders from other games will make there own elite rules any way

Raids should be removed ASAP

While I don’t necessarily agree about the removal of Raids, you are absolutely right about the direction the game is headed. And sooner or later, it will be possible to purchase Legendary armor, weapons, etc.

Oh, you will need to make some minor “accomplishment” prior to making the purchase – just to give the illusion that the game is not Pay 2 Play. And players who so choose will still be able to farm and craft for items.

But, like it or not, a year from now, the game won’t even be recognizable from it’s release.

This is the new business model.

(edited by Soon.5240)

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

They buy gold from Anet.

I’m not being facetious. This is the new business model for the game. We’ll see more of it in the future. And as people get used to it, it will be more blatant.

And, btw, I have all ascended, and my legendary(s) for my one (1) toon. So I don’t care about the difficulty anymore. I got mine.

When I saw the direction the game was headed with HoT, I deleted my Alts, and sold all the Ascended Mats I was collecting for them and then sold it for a small fortune on TP.

Be sure to thank John Smith, the dev behind all the income “redistribution” and the crafting changes, and the higher ups that approved those ideas.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Don’t think of the manifesto as a list of promises of what they will and won’t do. Instead, it seems it’s best to think of it as a check list of “we never said it was a promise” promises to break as time goes on.

That’s not to say that they WANT to do this. Rather, it’s to say that they don’t have the capacity and talent to live up to it. The “not promises” are restraints on them, and every time things get tough, they toss off another restraint to make it easier on themselves.

When they’re all gone, we’ll be left with World of Clonecraft 2.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Mastercard + Gem Store

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

They buy gold from Anet.

You know the one thing that keeps me buying a lot of gems? The cost is too high. It’s like 40 dollars for a set of tools, that’s the price of a new game… so what do you think I’ll spend that 40 dollars on? Tools or hours of entertainment with another game? I think the only thing I’m a little okay on price wise is outfits, 10 bucks doesn’t seem terrible. And don’t get me started on black lion ticket scraps. The gem cost of those with an alleged 32.6% drop rate? HA! HAHAHAHAHA!!! No. And before you go “Coyote you suck you don’t support the game” Not including the expansion I’ve spent about 70 dollars on gw2 alone this year. And converted gold into over a 100 dollars worth of gems.

And with gem store items starting to appear in the game, I’ve even more wary. Like I converted gems to buy a finisher since I thought 10 bucks is way too high price tag. It was a toss up between Llama and Chickenado, I went with Llama and you know what? I just bought chickenado off the AH for 4.5g. Dodge a bullet, because the cost of that finisher was 140g-ish or 8 bucks.

Whatever happened to micro transactions? I don’t think 8+ dollars per item is very micro…

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Maguuma masteries, which must be gotten by playing only on 4 maps, does feel pretty dang grindy to me.

I mean, there’s just only so many times that I can be dazzled by Faren’s swordmastery in a loincloth before it’s, you know…can we skip all the events and go straight to the part where I toss him in the chopper and be done with it?

I’m still trying to get speed mushrooms and advanced gliding, for crying in the bucket!

But I digress. I feel like, given the design decisions they went with for HoT, they really didn’t have much of a choice than to come up with some major slowing of content consumption, and grinding out masteries does this fairly well. At least, it has for me.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

are you people mad? why do you think they make the achievement point back skins most will never get close to so great and the legendary back items so dam ugly? this game is not about grind its about getting your credit card out.look at the ascended armour skins,thats another reskin job.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

legendary armor says Hi
exotics where suppose to be ok for raids the players say NOPE full ascended or gtfo
once legendary armor is out that will be the new MUST have to raid later raids that come out, Why ? simple the ability to change stats boss 1 condi is better so every one go condi boss 2 pure zerk physical dmg so so this will be the new gear grind pve over world for exotic then get full ascended to do noob raids for full legendary then you can finally raid the new raids … that’s the new gear grind don’t matter if that’s not how they intended it raiders from other games will make there own elite rules any way

Except that stat changing on legendary items doesn’t change anything else about them.

Without sigil/rune changing, it’s basically worthless for the purposes that you’re suggesting it for.

On the other hand, for the same cost you could just buy ascended sets for multiple requirements and maintain different runes in each of them.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

legendary armor says Hi

Legendary armor says, “ba-bye”, since it has identical stats to ascended. The only difference: it’s more convenient (and cheaper) to swap stats. Exotic continues to be viable in all forms of the game, ascended provides a satisfying boost (for some players), and legendary gear offers shinier version of ascended, with the convenience of never having to spend time or money to change prefixes.

So again, by the context in which Colin used the word, there is no ‘grind’ to maintain your gear in GW2.

Moreover, since exotic is trivial to obtain, people get to choose whether they want to spend additional time, effort, or money to go for ascended or legendary gear. And even then, you only have to “grind” (using the more common meaning of the term rather than Colin’s) if you want those shinies fast.

(And yes, I’m deliberately ignore raids, because (a) some people are succeeding using exotic gear and (b) it’s elite content, so more people are choosing to get higher-stat gear for it.)

tl;dr using Colin’s definition, there’s no grind — your old gear remains viable in the new content. Using the common meaning, there’s only grind for people who want shiny or new stuff now; you can choose to grind, but you aren’t forced to.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

The new manifesto is “Play our way or GTFO”.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

The community asked that we had to hunt for our precursors/legendaries. We asked that it was hard to do so.

We never asked that it was so hard and time consuming that simply grinding the gold to flat-out buy the precursors was actually far easier.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The new manifesto is “Play our way or GTFO”.

GTW – Grind To Win

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The manifesto is still on the official website. Anet, in their own minds, have never deviated from it. ANet uses a very specific definition of grind, and that kind of grind is absent from GW2. Legendary items were and are the end-all cosmetic items. These items are totally optional. There is nothing in the game that you cannot do because you don’t have a Legendary.

While I understand your desire to have such an item sooner, these items serve the purpose of being a long-term goal. MMO’s must have long-term goals to survive. If they cave to player impatience — which is what you’re expressing — they’d have to introduce a new long-term goal very soon, or lose players to, “Nothing to do.”

As to how is a newer player supposed to get the mats to make one? The same way older players did. One mat at a time.

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Q. What has happened to your manifesto!?
A. Goat ate it.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Ascended armor/weapons would have been better if they only allowed infusions and did not have extra base stats over the exotics. The change with HoT to require more leather for all ascended armor should have been reconsidered.

HoT is a husk of the manifesto. The only place things haven’t changed as much is sPvP , but good luck if you are fighting elite specs with older ones. The balance on some elite specs needs to be retuned. This situation is magnified by their efforts to make GW2 an e-sport.

PvE ? Masteries are catered towards “progression”. Rewards-centric hardcore players complained about not enough to do so now we have meaningless “progression”. Full elite specs are gated behind 250 hero points per character. Some events require hours to complete, how is that going to work for casual players?

WvW ? Guilds that had certain buffs need to PvE and spend hundreds if not thousands of gold to get where they were before. The maps are mazes made by a jump puzzle dev or something. So many people complain about not being able to find the way to the commander tag. This is on top of a number of bugs that did not exist before.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

TLDR; I want the new end-game stuff NOW and I also don’t wanna work much for them.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Well they actually did up the gear grind. Look at the new requirements for ascended crafting. I know it’s not a new tier of armor but the mats to get them got increased.

Smoosh.2718

TLDR; I want the new end-game stuff NOW and I also don’t wanna work much for them.

Compare what you need now to what you needed before. Compare launch to now, Title of this topic was not ‘I want this, give me this’, this topic was addressing the across the board increase in materials, level EXP and gold required to carry out X* objective, which clearly goes against the manifesto on launch.
I myself already have ‘Endgame stuff’ what ever you want to call that, but I’m thinking more for the newer players, or the ‘mid term’ players. You don’t want to turn them away because later down the line they find out they have to grind away their time to get X items or level up by X amount to get to X.

• Replace X with anything appropriate: e.g. X = level up mastery to get Mushroom jumping or X = Craft your first bit of armour (which now costs more than it did before.)

EDIT:
See the new craft as an example, Scribing, 5,000 Gold to get to 400, for very very very little in return ( Lets have a look at Tyrian Globe: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tyrian_Globe Now go have a look at it, all that grind for nothing back essentially)

(edited by Smoosh.2718)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

There’s nothing in HoT what I want. Not a single skin or whatever it has to offer by way of rewards.

I’d have settled for a fun game, but that went nowhere either.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

HoT?

Send me a PM if I win anything, Thanks.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Compare what you need now to what you needed before. Compare launch to now, Title of this topic was not ‘I want this, give me this’, this topic was addressing the across the board increase in materials, level EXP and gold required to carry out X* objective, which clearly goes against the manifesto on launch.
I myself already have ‘Endgame stuff’ what ever you want to call that, but I’m thinking more for the newer players, or the ‘mid term’ players. You don’t want to turn them away because later down the line they find out they have to grind away their time to get X items or level up by X amount to get to X.

• Replace X with anything appropriate: e.g. X = level up mastery to get Mushroom jumping or X = Craft your first bit of armour (which now costs more than it did before.)

EDIT:
See the new craft as an example, Scribing, 5,000 Gold to get to 400, for very very very little in return ( Lets have a look at Tyrian Globe: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tyrian_Globe Now go have a look at it, all that grind for nothing back essentially)

If there’s nothing in it for you, why does it matter how much it takes? Just ignore it.

Posted by: demetry.9541

demetry.9541

+1 But… it’s not only about “skin farming” mastery farming too and….
Also they said: We dont want “holy trinity” (tank\healer\dd) in a game. But now… raids looks like… they want brin it back (and it works terrible… because basic sistem still the same).

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

Anet seem to have forgot in there arrogance who the most important people in this whole equation are.The paying customer who have been paying there salary for years.
If this game isnt what we want we just go somewhere else.

Smoosh.2718

If there’s nothing in it for you, why does it matter how much it takes? Just ignore it.

Well there is something in it for me, and everyone actually, and that’s a thriving community and a game that draws people in rather than push them away. I’d rather have more people playing the game than quit because its become too grindy for them.

Also, if we all do ignore this, you’ll see requirements slowly escalate upwards, ‘100 Silk too little? now 200 per damask.’

Anyway I presume we all will see a huge change on a few of these things on December the 1st.

Posted by: KhanKatir.4038

KhanKatir.4038

Since all the fanboys and fangirls decided to derail your original question:
The “Manifesto” was a marketing strategy.
You bought the game because of what it said.
You purchased the game.
End of story.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

A manifesto is a statement of intent, not a guarantee of delivery. Anet tried to make a completely cosmetic end game with no grind and found it didn’t hold people in the game. They changed to add ascended gear, still my least favorite update.

On the other hand, the grind is mostly optional. There are two areas of hard end game content you have to work towards. Those are for people who want to grind. It’s a compromise. It happens.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Since all the fanboys and fangirls decided to derail your original question:
The “Manifesto” was a marketing strategy.
You bought the game because of what it said.
You purchased the game.
End of story.

And now the game in now way resembles it so people were sold a bill of goods hence they are upset.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Obtena.7952

Those people are just being obtuse for the most part. This argument has been had hundreds of times. Something wasn’t working, they adjusted their approach.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Those people are just being obtuse for the most part. This argument has been had hundreds of times. Something wasn’t working, they adjusted their approach.

Mike O’Brien brought up the manifesto himself at the HoT announcement. If they had abandoned it as you claim, why then do they continue referencing it? Before you call customers obtuse be sure you’re right.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

ArenaNet iterated.

They still do.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

They buy gold from Anet.

Anet don’t sell gold, players do.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Mike O’Brien brought up the manifesto himself at the HoT announcement. If they had abandoned it as you claim, why then do they continue referencing it? Before you call customers obtuse be sure you’re right.

checking forum in general.. yep. He is right.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The old way of making legendary weapons was fine

What?

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

Useless and off-topic.

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

Useless and off-topic.

Useless and off-topic… so is this..

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Useless and off-topic.

There was no real point to begin with. OP has no clue what grinding really means. He also does not seem to understand that end-game rewards do not come easy.

The previous LI system was a problematic system that required RNG drop and tons of actual grinding. Running each and every dungeon every day, doing the exact same thing as fast as possible, repeating it for months and months with your only goal the reward, is the definition of grind.

If you fail to see that, you never played a serious MMO before, and you just cry on the forums because with HoT, you can’t just finish all the content the game has to offer within 3 hours of release while pressing #1. Something you could totally do in the vanilla version of the game.

The core GW2 was not an MMO able to keep players playing for a decent amount of time. It was so facerolling easy that an enormous amount of the total population was taking huge breaks very often out of boredom and lack of end-game content. A big percentage of the population was just logging in to do the daily (or just logged-in since they changed the system to give you rewards for logging in…), and logged out right after because there was literally nothing else to do.
In addition to that every single Living world episode could be completed within 2 hours from release.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

There was no real point to begin with. OP has no clue what grinding really means. He also does not seem to understand that end-game rewards do not come easy.

The previous LI system was a problematic system that required RNG drop and tons of actual grinding. Running each and every dungeon every day, doing the exact same thing as fast as possible, repeating it for months and months with your only goal the reward, is the definition of grind.

If you fail to see that, you never played a serious MMO before, and you just cry on the forums because with HoT, you can’t just finish all the content the game has to offer within 3 hours of release while pressing #1. Something you could totally do in the vanilla version of the game.

The core GW2 was not an MMO able to keep players playing for a decent amount of time. It was so facerolling easy that an enormous amount of the total population was taking huge breaks very often out of boredom and lack of end-game content. A big percentage of the population was just logging in to do the daily (or just logged-in since they changed the system to give you rewards for logging in…), and logged out right after because there was literally nothing else to do.
In addition to that every single Living world episode could be completed within 2 hours from release.

Grind is relative.

You’re basing your standards of “grind” off of other games. EQ, WoW, and the like, I’m guessing. They’re basing their standards of “grind” off of the rest of GW2. There’s a rather huge difference between the two, but both are correct from their own point of view.

The problem is, this is not one of those other games, and it is GW2. GW2 was supposed to be different, not just a copy of other MMORPGs. The grind may be small by the standards of other games, but those are not the standards we should be using. If GW2 is meant to stand as its own thing, we should measure it as such.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.