6th playable race, what's your top 3 pick?

in Lore

Posted by: Matteo.9154

Matteo.9154

1) Largo (They look amazing and are quite a mysterious race)

2) Tengu (An amazing unique feel comes from this race. They are put out to be an agile and walled-up race, and I would love to be a bird person!)

3) Kodan (I don’t see it happening, but they are an interesting, almost nomadic, race of people which this game needs more of)

in Lore

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

Seer – the ancient enemies of the mursaat and the creators of the bloodstones (hey the naga came back from near extinction come on you know you want to).

Mursaat – floating mighty spellcasters, the former “gods” of kryta and the power of spectral agony at their command.

Tengu – … to fill out list

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Lore

Posted by: Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

When people mention the lack of customisation options we could have for the Kodan, I only really see a problem with fur colour. You could have plenty of customisation for their faces, body type, eyes and noses, etc.

And even with fur colour… look at the Asura! If they had been left out as a playable race, we’d be counting them out because there’s not enough customisation options for a race that are all just gray.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My three picks would have to be:

1) Tengu – I love the Tengu culture and philosophy as it’s expressed in both GW1/2, and coupled with the fact that Tengu were originally slated to be a playable race means it’s highly likely we’ll see them next.

2) Skritt – I find the Skritt to be absolutely adorable, even when they’re trying to kill me (“Quick! Kill it!”), although the fact that they’re a Sympathy race means it’s highly unlikely they’ll become a playable race in their own right. Plus, the fact that their intelligence changes depending on how many members of their race are in close proximity means that it’ll be extremely difficult to write a story for them.

3) Krait/Naga – I’ve always loved snakes and serpentoids, and to my knowledge no MMO has ever been made which allowed you to play as a serpentoid (reptilian humanoids, yes, but no snake-like characters). There’s sufficient graphical variation between different krait and between male/female krait to allow player customisation, and their unusual body shape could allow for a lot of creative freedom for artists to design armor for them. Given their pretty unredeemable attitudes, the Krait may be out as a whole, but if we return to Cantha, we might see the introduction of a more peaceable society of Naga who banded together with other non-humans for defense following Emperor Usoku’s Purges.

in Lore

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

I will love to have Tengu as the 6th playable race for one reason : they have wings for hand. WINGS ! Look at the number of possibilities with type of racial skills Tengu can have with wings – gliding, fanning…. heck if Tengu can flap their wings fast enough, it can be a frontal AOE attack that has stun & knockback effect aka Fus Ro Dah!!!

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in Lore

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

I think the most reasonable are probably Tengu, Quaggan, and Largos.

I want Kodan, Tengu and Quaggan though. Please give us Quaggan before Largos though! Quaggan/Tengu in an update would be cool.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

When people mention the lack of customisation options we could have for the Kodan, I only really see a problem with fur colour. You could have plenty of customisation for their faces, body type, eyes and noses, etc.

And even with fur colour… look at the Asura! If they had been left out as a playable race, we’d be counting them out because there’s not enough customisation options for a race that are all just gray.

But they’re varying shades of gray…maybe even 50!
Bad joke, but still, white fur is white fur, asura can be an off shade of tan all the way to black

in Lore

Posted by: Rubykuby.3427

Rubykuby.3427

I secretly hope that another Jade Wind strikes Cantha, and the Luxons and Kurzicks are turned into amazing races respectively.

And Tengu.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I will love to have Tengu as the 6th playable race for one reason : they have wings for hand. WINGS ! Look at the number of possibilities with type of racial skills Tengu can have with wings – gliding, fanning…. heck if Tengu can flap their wings fast enough, it can be a frontal AOE attack that has stun & knockback effect aka Fus Ro Dah!!!

Uhm… they don’t have wings.

Just very feathery arms.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Son of Elias.5420

Son of Elias.5420

So they use their very feathery arms to glibe, fan, or make a stun/knockback frontal AoE. Semantics, Konig!

I still support Quaggan. Not because of any game mechanic reason, but because I find them adorable. Coo.

“A man who trusts everyone is a fool.
And a man who trusts no one is a fool.
We are all fools, if we live long enough.”

in Lore

Posted by: Dirk Axeraider.5473

Dirk Axeraider.5473

Everyone else seems to be voting Tengu, but I’m definitely down for Grawl. They would be sick.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Everyone else seems to be voting Tengu, but I’m definitely down for Grawl. They would be sick.

I preferred the Grawl back when their vocabulary consisted purely of “Ook!” XD Their modern language and vocabulary just seems to be too refined for a race that everybody else derides as being laughably primitive and simplistic.

in Lore

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

Skritt, because they’ve stolen my shinies heart.

I think I’ve stated else where, don’t care much for Tengu. I’m sure they will be introduced, but I find them boring. Same goes for Quaggans who I view mostly as things that must be saved.

Kodan are probably right next to Skritt in terms of favourite race, but even then they’re cool because I’m not them. If that makes sense. They’re aloof and mysterious and keep their distance, but not so much so that I have no knowledge of how they’re actually fairing (ie Tengu). So I guess I like the Kodan because they’re aren’t player characters running around as polar bears calling me a newb or scrub.

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

in Lore

Posted by: SolitaryJr.9654

SolitaryJr.9654

Well, I like those beast looking character so…
1. Kodan
2. Tengu
3. Quanggans – Need a character that who is really good in underwater combat…

Charrs – Thief(80), Guardian(80), Engineer(80), Warrior(80)
[Resting atm :)]

in Lore

Posted by: Jenosavel.1756

Jenosavel.1756

1. Tengu
2. Centaur (...I miss Zhed)

I like a lot of the other races, but they don’t feel right to be playable to me. Quaggans wouldn’t be quite as cute as players; Skritt wouldn’t be quite as funny... could just be me though.

Leaves and Embers - a fan written GW2 novel (complete!)
Servants of Fortuna [SoF] - We serve fortuna; may she grant us a smile.

in Lore

Posted by: ThatOddOne.4387

ThatOddOne.4387

in Lore

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

1. Centaurs. I’d hand ANet $100 for an expansion that let me play a centaur. Hand it over without so much as blinking. Here you go. Take it. Seriously.

2. Tengu. As much to see their racial weapons and armor as to play them.

3. Harpies. I’d like to see all those hover animations put to use for players.

I think we can rule out all the races that you have quests to go recruit for the Pact, which is sort of a shame, because I like the Hylek (and their fairly obvious race-specific utilty skills) reasonably well.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Lore

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

1.) Tengu. I love the way they look in general and that look seems like it would lend itself well to customization. I like the few glimpses of their culture you get. And they seem the most set-up of all the races to become playable (no doubt partially because they were going to be playable at some point). They’ve got a currently inaccessible home area that sits right in with the current world to the point where it literally borders some current zones, and the population of the race and somewhat decent frequency they appear within the current game means that that them suddenly showing up everywhere as playable characters wouldn’t be THAT odd.

2.) Largos. I love the way these things look, they could be another vibrantly colorful race which the game is somewhat lacking ATM, with only Sylvari really filling that niche. I really like the concept of a water-dwelling race as well, would be a nice change IMO anyway, though I know a lot of people seem to hate the water content in this game, personally I enjoy it. These guys aren’t nearly as set-up as the Tengu are (I’ve only seen 2 Largos in the game, the one tied to the Karka event and the “Unseen Hunter” boss in the Brisban Wildlands, though I’m by no means claiming to have experienced everything so I’m sure there are others) so having them playable would be less natural, but all the same I still hope it happens.

I don’t really have a 3rd that I’m really dying to play. Kodan would be alright, not really too amazed with them but wouldn’t mind them certainly. Centaur would be a big stretch with how they’re currently portrayed in-game, but would be interesting for their body type if nothing else. I don’t have much GW lore knowledge, haven’t really studied any outside lore and never even played GW1, but I did notice a few people mentioning Naga being peaceful serpentine people, that would be really cool to have as a playable character, though probably quite difficult to implement with gear.

Definately don’t want to see any of the “lesser races” playable. They really don’t fit well as playable characters IMO, they don’t typically wear armor (and if they do its scattered tribal stuff, not actual armor suits), some of the weapon types would be odd with some of them (stuff like Grawl using guns or Skritt using magic), and as a whole they just have a general lack of sophistication to do some of the stuff players do on a constant basis.

in Lore

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

Largos and tengu are the two I’d like to see, and also the two I think are likely to be added of the races we’ve had contact with so far. A distant third is centaur. I’d roll one in a heartbeat if they were playable, but I think it’s unlikely that they ever will be.

in Lore

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Kodan
Dwarves
Skritt

in Lore

Posted by: Umei.7052

Umei.7052

1 Largos (I wouldn’t want the breathing mask on though xD but they are so cooooool)
2 Tengu
3 Elonian Undead

in Lore

Posted by: Gugus.1462

Gugus.1462

Cool (not-so-human) looks and an interesting philosophy, that’s all I’m hoping for in the possible sixth race.
Obviously, my choice are the Tengu then!
Also, the Hylek and Quaggan really appear to me but which I think both sadly have a rather low probability to ever become playable.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

in Lore

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

as far as probability goes, I’d say any of the Racial Sympathy choices has next to zero chances of ever becoming playable, unless they completely change that part of the game.

I doubt we’ll ever see playable Skritt, Grawl, Hylek, Ogres or Quaggan

and that’s fine, because i don’t think that’s what this thread is about

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Lore

Gugus.1462

as far as probability goes, I’d say any of the Racial Sympathy choices has next to zero chances of ever becoming playable, unless they completely change that part of the game.

I doubt we’ll ever see playable Skritt, Grawl, Hylek, Ogres or Quaggan

and that’s fine, because i don’t think that’s what this thread is about

Well if you’d sort them out, what’s left? Well, Tengu of course, since they were once meant to be playable… Krait/Naga/Centaurs? Rather unlikely. At least I’ve never seen playable races with no or more than two feet in any MMO! And quite frankly, it also would be weird in my opinion. Seers or Mursaat? Besides that there is barely any information about them included in GW2, they are just too powerful compared to a mere human or any of the other races.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Counterquestion, how many races do you want to be added? Tengu, Largos and Kodan (the most likely imo) would be 3 already. That makes 8 for 8 professions. That’s more than enough, we don’t the lesser races to be added as playables, nor do we need the elder races like dwarves, Mursaat and so on.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Gugus.1462

Dwarves might be pretty interesting actually. Of course, as of now it doesn’t look good for the little beardos but mayyyyyybe, one day we might discover a group of dwarves that didn’t undergo the ritual of the great dwarf and thus stayed fleshy and fully capable of reproducing…

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Mursaat

Skillbar:

1- Spectral Agony
2- Spectral Agony
3- Spectral Agony
4- Spectral Agony
5- Spectral Agony With A Side Of Curses

6- Leave Combat With Adventurers For Five Seconds

7- Summon Jade Bow
8- Summon Jade Hammer
9- Deceive Semi-Important Plot NPC

0- Also Spectral Agony

(You had an option of “Shell Road in Predictable Pattern” as an Elite, but everyone knows that one’s gimp.)

On second thought… balance could be an issue.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Just saying wich ones make the most sense, for wich expansion

3.Tengu, got a city, lore behind them, probaply getting released in the Primodus Expansion

2.Centaurs, probaply the Elona expansion

1.Dredge, probaply in the Canthan expansion

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Lore

Posted by: Captain Seyo.4285

Captain Seyo.4285

Alright…time for my two cents.

Any of the 5 in the race section of the storyline will no be an option as the new race’s story would have to merge at the same point. It would be weird to see Quaggans investigating Quaggans. So that is a no for Quaggans, Hylek, Skritt, Ogres, and Grawl.

The Tengu have the highest probability with a known location for their home city within the Domains of Winds.

If we explore further north, we may find a sanctuary for Kodan.

We could also find Largos. Where? IDK. But with how Trahearne introduces us to one, That may also end up being kinda weird.

Forgotten in the Crystal desert. But armoring them would be weird with no feet. Plus, how would that affect lore.

Dwarves can’t be made again. So, I doubt it.

This one is off the wall that off the original wall. Glint’s children, I believe, survived and we could have dragon warriors to fight the other dragons. =D (yea its ridiculous, I know)

There is also the ability of Anet to do what ever they like.

in Lore

Posted by: Downfall.9835

Downfall.9835

My top 3 options for new races would be:

1: The tengu, for the nostalgia, all the atmosphere that’s around them, the probability to see them as a playable race and last but not least, the feeling of creating a tengu as awesome as THE vakarian, for the sake of calibration.

2: Luxon, just… seeing how 200 years of freeing themselves from the jade wind, to be conquered by the empire would be for them, and they are just awesome… is that, or the nostalgia.

3: Kodan, well, apart from customization issues of a race of clonic polar bears, it would be awesome to see more of them, just to see how Anet would make the artwork while making this race deeper into the GW lore.

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Luxons are humans though…

in Lore

Posted by: Downfall.9835

Downfall.9835

yes… but are so different from the reinassance culture that rules the humans in kryta that they can easily be a race on their own

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Any of the 5 in the race section of the storyline will no be an option as the new race’s story would have to merge at the same point. It would be weird to see Quaggans investigating Quaggans. So that is a no for Quaggans, Hylek, Skritt, Ogres, and Grawl.

Do note that not all of those tribal races are available to each major race – it’s three each. It wouldn’t be a stretch to prevent the race from investigating itself. That doesn’t remove all the roadblocks to the above races, of course.

I guess my three “most-likely” picks would be, in order of probability -
1. Tengu
2. Largos
3. Probably something we haven’t seen yet.

However, there are a couple that knock on the door; it’s not inconceivable that kodan could take that 3 slot, since they have all, or nearly all, the requirements of a playable race. Also, once Elona opens up, it may not be out of the question for friendly centaurs to show up; the artists and animators would have their work cut out for them adapting armor and actions to their rather unique anatomy though.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Lore

Posted by: Son of Elias.5420

Son of Elias.5420

Centaur will never happen. There’s a reason you never see quadrupedal races in MMOs. It’s annoying as heck to code, the armour would make no sense, it would look odd doing half the maneuvers, they’d have a weird hitbox, etc etc. Same reason you’ll never see krait.

Skritt, quaggan, tengu, and largos are all possibilities. Racial sympathy, like Sirius mentioned, isn’t a factor – a norn, for example, can’t investigate quaggan. So obviously you could just have those races not investigate themselves.

“A man who trusts everyone is a fool.
And a man who trusts no one is a fool.
We are all fools, if we live long enough.”

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

The minor races, not ever being playable is not a question of story line, but if they are capable of contributing in the same way the big 5 do. The problem the minor races have, none of them has a nation. They are split apart locally and in allegiance.
Notice how one Skritt burrow will welcome you, while another attacks you on sight. Grawl are even known to fight among each other over religous matters, same with Hylek, though it’s more territorial fighting here.
The most unified seem to be the quaggan, as in they are not attacking each other or other races, but they are, to be blunt, just to stupid to be playable race. I highly doubt a quaggan could ever be an engineer, even if he had the dexterity, he still lacks the intelligence. Same for Skritt, you had to play atleast 10 Skritt at once to be able to hold your ground. Ogre and Grawl also don’t seem to be keen on technology.
Granted, Norn don’t have a nation too, and they are also less technological advanced than the other races. However, they don’t fight amongst themself (except Sons of Svanir), and they are also intelligent enough to use machinery.
Last but not least, some of those races have aspects about them that make them hard to balance. Ogres are always beastmasters, Hylek are immune to poison and the Skritt as mentioned before would need to be always in a group to be playable.

in Lore

Posted by: Luquatic.3825

Luquatic.3825

My list would be:

1. Largos
This because I love playing thief and atm I am running a human thief. This race would really fit for me as a thief! However if this race will be playable I really hope they will do something that we can use the wings.

2. Stone Dwarf
Normally I never play a dwarf but because if their lore in Guild Wars I really want to know what happend with their lives after the ritual. How their life in the mountains is etc etc.

3. Kodan
I really like the way how they look but not really how they think. I also think they haven’t been introduced very well in Guild Wars 2. They’re suddenly all over in the Shiverpeaks and that it’s supposed to be normal that they’ve suddenly bommed the Shiverpeaks.

A Thief on Desolation

in Lore

Posted by: Ponder.3647

Ponder.3647

1) SKRITT!

2) Dredge.

3) Hylekk.

I’d reroll immediately to play as one of those races, but Skritt would be my preferred choice.

in Lore

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

Mursaat

Skillbar:

1- Spectral Agony
2- Spectral Agony
3- Spectral Agony
4- Spectral Agony

7- Summon Jade Bow
8- Summon Jade Hammer

0- Also Spectral Agony

(You had an option of “Shell Road in Predictable Pattern” as an Elite, but everyone knows that one’s gimp.)

Awesomeness hahaha

As much as I hate to admit it, Konig is probably right. Tengu have already had the groundwork laid and they seem like they’d be the easiest to implement. The Largos are just screaming “we are the race opposed to the deep sea dragon”. And as for the Kodan I don’t really see them becoming a race of their own until Jormag is defeated.

As for another race, there are a few that I can see in lore that might be made into a playable race. The Wardens of Cantha (if they still exist) could be an option now that the curse of the Jade Wind is lifting/lifted. Tyrian Centaurs have been painted as a purely evil race but the Centaurs of Elona could be another option if they haven’t been utterly wiped out (knowing Joko that seems like the kind of kitten move he’d pull). The Naga of Cantha could also be another one if they’ve not been wiped out too. They were apparently sentient enough to trade with and share knowledge with the Canthans who lived before the Jade Wind.

in Lore

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

If we’re not getting an original race not yet seen, my vote goes to Tengu or Largos — both in terms of what I’d most want to see, and what’s most likely.

Quaggan? Maybe years down the road, if ArenaNet runs out of ideas and releases a Mists of Quaggania expansion. :-P

in Lore

Posted by: ManiacMike.3290

ManiacMike.3290

1.) Tengu

2.) Largos

3.) Kodan

I would love to have all three!

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

1) Kodan
Can’t wait to see these playable, love the Kodan!
2) Tengu
Assuming these make it in at some point, looks like an amazing race.
3) Veldrunner(Centaurs)
If GW2 proceeds into Elona, centaurs could become playable as the veldrunner pride features as part of the resistance to the plague that has befallen Elona.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

1) Tengu

2) Kodan

3) Skritt

# Asura because I’m worth it!

in Lore

Posted by: Yinello.7068

Yinello.7068

You. I like you. And your choices.

Ginni Gruesome, Necromancer of the College of Synergetics

in Lore

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Mursaat

Skillbar:

1- Spectral Agony
2- Spectral Agony
3- Spectral Agony
4- Spectral Agony

7- Summon Jade Bow
8- Summon Jade Hammer

0- Also Spectral Agony

lol of course that would need some balancing. Maybe a complete rehaul from their previous form. :P

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in Lore

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Besides that, not all classes would make sense for undead. While there were undead rangers in GW1, they never used pets (and if a few did, which I may forgot about, I bet their pets weren’t alive anymore) and I doubt living pets would follow an undead master. I also doubt Anet would give us an undead re-skin for every pet.

As I said before, I wouldn’t hesitate a second to play a servant of Joko, if given the opportunity. He’s one of my favorite characters in GW’s lore.

Why do Sylvari Hounds follow a Charr Ranger?

in Lore

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

First, you gotta look at reqs:
Land & Underwater travel
Wield All Weapons
Both “Good” & “Dark” sides/factions (or the possibly of such)
Execution of all current animations and emotes.

This leaves (in my mind)
1. Tengu It was intended, but scrapped
2. Largos? I’m not that familiar, but seem to fit. Mystery makes things easier too.
3. Hylek Collector’s edition stated NOT playable race.
4. Grawl Involved in many hearts, events, etc. Though they’re correctable with the right verbiage.
5. Skritt Experimented on by Asura… You’d have to change like all the hearts in metrica providence.

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

Why do Sylvari Hounds follow a Charr Ranger?

Sylvari Hounds behave like normal dogs and therefore follow the same masters a normal dog would. Why can the pale tree produce them? I don’t know, Mary-Sue power-hour I guess.

in Lore

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

also, just wanted to point out for those of you that can’t wrap your mind around it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPPOFbLb3c

in Lore

Posted by: MonkyTales.2098

MonkyTales.2098

For an Expansion which plays in the North I would like to see that the Stone Dwarves of Deldrimor established a stronghold underground. This would be their city!
Next to that did we never ever seen a female dwarve in gw1.

For an Expansion which plays in the Maguuma I would like to see Tengu, With DoW as their capitol ofc!

For an Expansion into the Crystal Desert I would like to see something new that looks like the human race. Maybe now that Abaddon is dead, Kormir set the Margonites free and put them back to where once their homeland the crystal sea was. Because they were demons before they still resemble some of those purple aura aspects. Their cultural armor would be nomad like! Furthermore I believe Anet could make a great more imaginary race of this!

in Lore

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

zip Next to that did we never ever seen a female dwarve in gw1. zip

Quote Ogden Stonehealer: “How do you know you haven’t already met a female dwarf? Eh? Eh?”

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ogden_Stonehealer

I don’t believe dwarves will become playable, I think that turning them to stone, would be Anets way of saying: not gonna happen.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.