6th playable race, what's your top 3 pick?

in Lore

Posted by: Darcness.2408

Darcness.2408

my nominations would be

1. Largos
2. Tengu
3. Kodan (they would need more customization options tho)

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

If Quaggans become playable, I leave this game.

Personally, the Largos seem too elusive for them to become so wide-spread and common, so with story developments it seems most logic the choice would fall on Tengu or Kodan – subject to improving their customization options.

I know I listed Veldrunners (the pride from Elona) previously, but you’d have some explaining to do running around Kryta killing all your four-legged brethren… but then again, all the other races do so why not (Asura v Inquest, Norn vs Svanir, Charr vs Flame Legion, Sylvari vs Nightmare, Humans vs all) :P

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: Klofange.6854

Klofange.6854

A unique reptilian or insectoid race linked with the crystal desert

Look up the Forgotten.

I’d have to say firstly Tengu, if only because it’s the only one I couldn’t see a problem trying to adapt.

Second, Largos are interesting enough to warrant a look at, though them being primarily aquatic makes me nervous.

Thirdly . . . the Forgotten.

I am aware of the forgotten, but their serpentine appearance and 4 arms would cause significant extra work for the developers so it makes them somewhat unlikely

in Lore

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Dredge. Racial utility skill: “No, No, No! No, No, No!”

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Lore

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Tengu have a long history in GW, and in this game there are already several models of Tengu bodies and armors. It would probably be the easiest to flesh out for the devs, and there’s already a Tengu starting area walled off from the rest of Tyria.

Tengu get my vote.

in Lore

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

1) TENGU
2) Forgotten
3) Jotun, Ogres or something that isn’t a Largos, Skritt, Kodan or Quaggan.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’ve noticed that nobody ever asks for playable Dredge. XD

in Lore

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Tengu
Tengu
Tengu.

If we could have the quaggans and sylvari wage a war of mutual genocide, that’d be nice too. (Sorry, getting sick of all the cute that oozes out of every single part of a world that’s in peril because a dragon is bringing the dead back to life.)

in Lore

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I hate to be a downer of sorts, but some of these have absolutely no chance of being a playable race.

1) Centaur: They can’t swim. Nothing more that needs to be said.

For the umpteenth time, horses can swim, from birth in fact. Swimming is even used as a training tool for race horses and was once a method for breaking wild horses.

The only reason centaurs do not swim in game because they have no swimming animation. Something shared with quite a few NPC races, and easily rectified in this case, as horses swim almost exactly like they walk. Which if you think about it is probably why they can swim from birth in the first place.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Lore

Posted by: Zelu.1692

Zelu.1692

1) Kodan

9) Tengu

I do not particularly feel the need for another race, but if at all, the Kodan race would be great! Although some combinations seem really weird and culturally inappropriate: Kodan Mesmer?? Kodan Thief? Hmmm… Not sure about that.

Then if at all yet another one, maybe the Tengu, but far behind the Kodans.

Zel Silverleaf – 80 Guardian
Zelyahine – 80 Ranger
Victory is Life Eternal [VILE] – Desolation

in Lore

Posted by: A Nifty Unicorn.4358

A Nifty Unicorn.4358

I hate to be a downer of sorts, but some of these have absolutely no chance of being a playable race.

For the umpteenth time, horses can swim, from birth in fact. Swimming is even used as a training tool for race horses and was once a method for breaking wild horses.

The only reason centaurs do not swim in game because they have no swimming animation. Something shared with quite a few NPC races, and easily rectified in this case, as horses swim almost exactly like they walk. Which if you think about it is probably why they can swim from birth in the first place.

I can understand the whole thing about no swimming animation, but as far as I’m concerned, if Centaurs were supposed to swim they would have an animation for it. Considering the fact that they’re a massive part of the early level areas, I can’t see why they wouldn’t have a swimming animation if they are supposed to be able to.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

I can understand the whole thing about no swimming animation, but as far as I’m concerned, if Centaurs were supposed to swim they would have an animation for it. Considering the fact that they’re a massive part of the early level areas, I can’t see why they wouldn’t have a swimming animation if they are supposed to be able to.

because a centaur diving would be ridiculous.

and think of all the extra work to remake every single armor to fit them. they’re too far from humanoid to be doable.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: ElysianEternity.6215

ElysianEternity.6215

Yeah, Krait is pretty much out of the question, but I think the Naga (or possibly the Forgotten) may be possible alternatives as a serpentoid race. If the Tengu make their appearance as part of a Canthan expansion, the Naga may also be a possible new race. They were not always hostile to humanity, after all; they only turned to raiding to survive after their traditional homes and hunting grounds were destroyed by the Jade Wind. If the Naga fled from Cantha (just as the Tengu did) during Emperor Usoku’s purges, they probably would not need to retain their raider lifestyle if they managed to settle in rich areas.

I wouldn’t mind playable Kodan (making a Kodan Guardian if they become playable!), although I think they are unlikely due to the fact that Kodan are very similar to Norn in terms of gaming clichés (they are both big, physically powerful arctic-dwelling races), which means they’d have trouble standing out on their own.

Woops, I didn’t see that was a reply to my post :p

And Krait possibly aren’t that much out of question anymore.
Emphasis on ‘possibly’.
With the direction the LS has taken, a Krait-civil war as consequence of the failure that was the Tower of Nightmares would open up possibilities. (Actually, their society slithering away without any consequences is really bothersome and unbelievable…)
You could either have an even more vicious Krait-faction that actively hunts down landdwelling races to revenge their killed ‘Prophet’…
…or you could have a faction of Krait that is devastated by their first major defeat and being lied at by their priesthood not only about the tower but also for generations about their whole religion, thus revolting against the Oratuss.

They have a ridiculous amount of possible character customization and save for shooting animations that are fairly simple to do, they already have all underwater battle animations covered.

So lore aside, the only hurdle is how to animate them jumping (not only as in snakes leaping but considering their tails and hitboxes when doing JPs), armor (well for foot armor it could wrap around their tail, kinda like Charr-foot armor does too around their feet, but what are the chances of Anet bothering that much again?) aaand certain skills that involve acrobatic jumping or kicking. (Which probably would take custom animation and that might be too much effort)

I know they’re the black-hat race, but for all we know they could simply be kept as black-hat race so it can change one day.
And that for a change REALLY would put the ‘living’ in ‘living story’.

Aaaand for the Kodan. There’s that story of a Kodan-tribe that went lost which the Kodan assume refer to the Norn. But hey what if it turned out that the lost Kodan tribe settled in the Woodland Cascades and now there’s some more variations of fur-coats akin to other bears there? Cue reunion and troublesome faction?
I’m just spouting vague ideas but man how I’d love for that to happen. :P

in Lore

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

I think it’s pretty obvious that Tengu and Largos are happening.

Tengu for obvious reasons; Anet having to cut the content & save it for later due to development issues and due dates and they already have the same body structure as the charr so armor won’t be an issue.

Largos will probably come along with the introduction of the water dragon and like the tengu they have similar body structures to humans/norns, therefore less work with when it comes to armor. Also the mention of them having “Tethyos” houses is a big pointer to personal story arcs.

After that, I don’t know what they’ll pick.
Kodan are already too similar to the Norn in terms of culture, geography, size, etc and wouldn’t offer very many customization options. Quaggans will never happen because they’re the designated ‘cute mascot race’ and designing/fitting armor on their round bodies would be a huge issue. Skritt seem like a possibility but their lore and lack of individual intelligence kind of prevents them from being such. Dredge have cool tech and the hylek have some potential lore to work with but both would be too “ugly” for the average player to roll with. Centaurs and Krait have been made into the black sheep races for the personal storylines. Either they’ll come up with a brand new race via sylvari/largos or we’ll see another human-like race such as the margonites or the dwaves, since human-like races are far more popular than beast races when it comes to the average gamer.

Personally I would really love to see the skritt and a reptilian race like the naga or the forgotten. Skritt have a ton of potential especially with their habit of living in caves or underground, I can see some of their zones focusing on the Tyrian depths and such. Also there’s their king who’s trying to increase the intelligence of their race. Maybe there’s a population of intelligent ones living deep underground and they’re forced to the surface due to Primordus like the Asura were in GW1?

Naga/forgotten would be amazing potential for lore stuff, but armor and jumping puzzles would be a major issue.

in Lore

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

At this point…I’ll take anything, as long as we don’t have to wait another year for it.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

1) Skritt
2) Skritt!
3) Shiny!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

1) Skritt
2) Skritt!
3) Shiny!

i remember someone made a concept for a skritt race, it was basically 3 skritt on top of each other wearing human-sized armor :P

in Lore

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Hrm… I’m surprised that I’ve never written in this thread before… Though I have posted in similar threads, so go figure!

Anyway, here’s my list:

1. Tengu – Makes the most sense since they actually were going to be a playable race at the start of the game. Sadly, they were cut early in development due to ArenaNet deciding that they’ll add the race later on. Though really, I believe this decision was made sometime when the Canthan District was destroyed, and retconed into the Arts District. Since tengu drew a lot of parallels with Asian culture, it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of their architecture and designs had a strong Asian flare to them. A flare that had to be put out because they didn’t want to misinterpret Asian cultures… or whatever.
  2. Largos – Makes some sense. We don’t know much about them, but their society is structured similarly to how the current playable races are. They are divided into houses, which can be paralleled with sylvari seasons, asuran colleges, norn animal spirits, etc. and their models are similar to humans, which would make their armor conversion easy. Their wings could suffer the horn and tail clipping issues charr currently suffer from.
  3. Kodan – This is more wishful thinking from my part. Kodan don’t seem to have a varied appearance to them, which would make it hard to develop distinct appearances for the. I mean, they’re polar-bear people. You can’t pick their fur color, since all polar bears have white-looking fur, so the most they could get is maybe fur markings to aid in distinguishing them from one another.
IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

in Lore

Posted by: JerekLo.5893

JerekLo.5893

1.) Tengu! It has to happen! My warrior slot awaits patiently for Tengu…

2.) Dredge! You people think I’m crazy, but can you imagine all the crazy soviet era maddness you could cook up for the dredge? Chairman Mole would be pleased.

I don’t know about 3. Kodan would be kitten, but they just don’t have many options look wise. Largo is a good bet eventually. Hell, skritt! Shiney!

Edit: Okay I’m selling myself on Largos: Dune. Underwater. It could be amazing. :x

Jerek Lo | Singh | Slagg Blackclaw | Wilhelm von Wilhelm | Viscerious
Sorrow’s Furnace
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

(edited by JerekLo.5893)

in Lore

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The tengu would make the most sense.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Lore

Posted by: Aidan.4602

Aidan.4602

1)Tengu
2)Kodan
3)Quaggan
—-
But knowing that quaggan won’t happen (:D), maybe Dwarves and their awakening?

Aidan Vilesight, a Charr engineer – Desolation

in Lore

Posted by: Paraka.9724

Paraka.9724

My choices, and this is only going by what is available currently in game, are as follows;

1. Dwarves

2. Tengu

3. Kodan

These are the ones I don’t naturally pick in favor of, but the ones that, with the storyline following, seem to play a key role in being playable later on.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I personally don’t think Largos is very likely, for the following reasons:

1. The Largos are a primarily aquatic-dwelling race. It would not make logical sense to suddenly have hundreds, maybe even thousands, of Largos leaving their underwater homes and adventuring across the land for weeks, months or even years at a time. (For the same reason, I think that Quaggan as a playable race is a remote possibility.)

2. Those wings would be a clipping nightmare for armor artists to work with. The Charr already have enough problems with their tail clipping with many armor sets, but at least tails are set low and only have a single point of contact. How much worse would it be for a race with two huge wings sprouting from their back and obscuring backpieces/weapons/shields?

3. Part of the appeal the Largos have to many players is their mystique and their rarity. If you turn them into a playable race, that mystique will be entirely destroyed once you see a Largos down every street. (Not to mention that you know that every single Largos PC is going to be a Thief. :P Possibly a Necromancer.)

in Lore

Posted by: cerulean moth.2743

cerulean moth.2743

Hylek

Krait

These are really all I care about

in Lore

Posted by: Koneko.8420

Koneko.8420

I bought a 6th slot solely for the purpose of ‘just in case we get a new race in 2014’.

Tengu are my personal ‘I WANT!’ I have liked them since Factions, and was extremely pleased to see that the race got an appearance upgrade for GW2. While I’ve only seen males so far, I don’t imagine the females look too terribly different(similar to the Charr), and I’m perfectly okay with that.

Skritt are a new race to me, and I loved them from the get-go. I think it’d be pretty nifty if they were playable. Not likely to happen, due to the way their collective intellect works, but if Anet could make it work I certainly wouldn’t complain.

If I had to pick a 3rd, it’d be Hylek. They’re not so ‘fave’ as Tengu and Skritt, but they are unique- and they’d be hella fun to customize.

in Lore

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Tengu is most likely
I won’t be playing a Tengu myself- but I am dying to get behind their wall

My personal choice is Largos- I am extremely curious about their culture.
I would love an underwater city.

I don’t think their fins/wings would be any more of a problem than the winged backpieces we already have and soooo many people are wearing those.

As for it being weird having Largos running around on land- same can be said for non aquatic races swimming around under water.
We do see them on land now
I never got the impression that they were purely aquatic anyway, more amphibian – despite them being from the deep ocean

oh just give me Largos :p

Don’t have a third choice.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Lore

Posted by: Gusmaozin.4076

Gusmaozin.4076

I see no one here mentioned the Kappa. They seem pretty cool

in Lore

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

1. Largos
2. Stone Dwarves
3. Tengu

Tengu is last because, if it has “clipping” issues like Charr, I’ll most likely not make it.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

1. Largos
2. Stone Dwarves
3. Tengu

Tengu is last because, if it has “clipping” issues like Charr, I’ll most likely not make it.

and you think the largos with their giant fins won’t have clipping issues?

in Lore

Posted by: Imperios.2543

Imperios.2543

1: Dredge
2: Tengu
3: PJ’s undead

in Lore

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

1. Kodan
2. Largos
3. Tengu

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Lore

Posted by: Neverminder.3296

Neverminder.3296

Kodan could happen. Just look at Panderan for WoW. You can have different fur markings, and different shades of white… anywhere from like a blue, frosty white to a yellowed egg color to light gray.

in Lore

Posted by: Cometknight.9473

Cometknight.9473

1.Skritt – I mean c’mon who wouldnt want a Toon named “quite as a Mouse”…along with saying " skritt , im hit……." but you can see some of the skritt models weilding swords rifle ..even shields. And dont tell me the lobber dont remind you of the Engs…as in terms of lore, the asuran were conducting experiments on them to make them smart.. maybe we could be escape from a inquest lab and set up a new colony were these newly breed skritt are smart……also Shiny!!!

Kodan- your ship sails in from the forgotten sea.. the tropical climate has evolved your fur to different pigmentations……a new beast race emerges from the coasts of south sun…..idk but definitely on my list .. armor can also be seen on some of the sentries

3-Tengu- we have all seen where The LS is going and some people have even seen the spoilers.but scarlet could easily attack that wall in LA that goes to the Dominion of Wind..the are also some of the most wanted races of the game right now…lets be honest Tengu + bow = *droool

5 lvl80 Warriors……..and counting

in Lore

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

1-Tengu
2-Skritt
3-Largos

in Lore

Posted by: Guerbe.7068

Guerbe.7068

1.) Margonite
After the defeat of Abaddon, I recall there being a single Margonite who wished to create a new society dedicated to the reconstruction of the glory of their old race. What happened with that? He was a good guy. Gave you quests and whatnot.
2.) Tengu
I’ve been waiting for them since Guild Wars 1, and teasing us with them before GW2 released wasn’t very nice at all.
3.) Palawa Joko’s Undead
Come on. C’mooooooonnnn. Please? Do it. Doooooo it. Do it.

in Lore

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Kodan – They have Legate Lanius’s voice which… my hand is down my pants how did this happen
Elonian Undead – They might be close to Forsaken but they’d be more similar to, say, Tomb Kings than Vampire Counts, if you’re much of a Warhammer nut. I also think that the playable factions would be ‘okay’ with allying with Palawa Joko- I mean, we did it before, right?
Tengu – caw

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Lore

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Krait, Tengu, Largos.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Lore

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

Mursaat?

(some random text because this message is too short)

in Lore

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

-slams fists on the table-
LARGOS.
I will accept nothing more or less.

Incursiön [iN]

in Lore

Posted by: Ian Kennedy.4563

Ian Kennedy.4563

Back to the whole Crocodile race idea. What about that area in Brisban Wildlands with the broken bridge. The race could be from across that area and in conflict with the jungle dragon in the west. The largos would be fighting the deep sea dragon and the tengu are just the tengu.

in Lore

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

First of all, people need to know the lore and how a certain race fits into the storyline before they just say CENTAUR cuz dat wood be kewl!! But all of the centaurs are evil so that wouldnt make sense. no centaurs, no koda, no largos, no skrit. just stahp.

Anyways my top three are:
1. Tengu
2. Stone Dwarves
3. Hylek

in Lore

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

First of all, people need to know the lore and how a certain race fits into the storyline before they just say CENTAUR cuz dat wood be kewl!! But all of the centaurs are evil so that wouldnt make sense. no centaurs, no koda, no largos, no skrit. just stahp.

1. Tengu
2. Stone Dwarves
3. Hylek

We got centaur that helped us ( hell the entire sylvari race exist because of a centaur and human being buddies) and we kinda killed the main bad guy centaur who made all centaur go insane… well we are farming his remains at least.
Largos and Krait despite their usual ruthless behaviour have shown to care about not getting slaughtered by dragons and that is a better reason than why most charr stopped being hostile monsters.
Kodan are a proud race of warriors, poets and protectors of balance and just as Tengu got hurt quite a lot because of the activities from other races, both have equal chance to be playable.

Dwarves is impossible since they cant reproduce anymore and the rare existing ones are fighting the destroyers. Hylek and skritt are too stupid to be called a actually sentient race so ok no point removed there for half a correct guess.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Lore

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

1. Tengu
2. Stone Dwarves
3. Hylek

First of all there are centaur that lived in Elona that were friendly/tolerant to humans, so they aren’t “evil”, also search for Ventari …

Secondly, you talk about look at the lore before suggesting races and you suggest “Stone Dwarves” as playable race … ? The race that we only know 1 alive and the devs stated that there are so few still alive, if any, that they wouldn’t appear in the story, imagine be a playable race.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Lore

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

Tengu, Largos, and humans from Cantha and Elona (if you can’t tell I really want these continents back lol).

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

in Lore

Posted by: Beckett.9371

Beckett.9371

Largos
or-
Orrian

in Lore

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

1 Largos
2 Skritt
3 Centaur Or Kodan Or Tengu

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Lore

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

1 Largos
2 Skritt
3 Centaur Or Kodan Or Tengu

in Lore

Posted by: Chris.4670

Chris.4670

-Tengu
-Mursaat
-an Enemy, because they always get improved versions from our Skills ^^

in Lore

Posted by: bird.5920

bird.5920

1 Tengu
2 Birds
3 Tengu Birds

The entire fact they were originally drafted for a playable race makes them the BEST candidate. I will happily delete my warrior, ele, and ranger characters in order to make three tengu (one for each path!).

in Lore

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

I’m still waiting to see a Kodan monk. Give them staff-fighting and take from City of Hero’s Eye of The Storm, give it to the staff as it’s number 2.

(edited by Ronin.7381)