6th playable race, what's your top 3 pick?

in Lore

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

1. Dwarfes, 2. Dwarfes, 3. Dwarfes

in Lore

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

1.Quaggan 2.Tengu. 3. Regular Pengu and Ceramic Pengu. In a far off land to the south the Pengu are close relatives of the Tengu with penguin features and are roughly the same size. A subset of Pengu to defend themselves and their Emperor against a fiery threat used magic to transform themselves into ceramic to gain invulnerability against the threat and sharpen their claws in the process (in before penguins don’t have claws on flippers they still need digits for tool handling and they’re at the end of their flipper arms). The threat still looms (why waste a good narrative?) and the Pengu can use your help…

in Lore

Posted by: Brokensunday.4098

Brokensunday.4098

Tengu, Dwarves, Jotun, Centaurs and margonites

in Lore

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

Do I really have to repeat my spiel?

DWARVES: Going extinct. Even the females have beards (this is actual canon!?) so lack of customization options.
MURSAAT, MARGONITES: Ancient villains. There is only one remaining Mursaat, who’s likely to show up in LS3, so those are out. As for Margonites… how? How could they be playable? I just don’t get it.
PENGU: Seriously, WTF?
CENTAURS, JOTUN, KRAIT, UNDEAD, HARPIES, DREDGE…: These are officially “villain” races. Due to inherent storyline problems and armor modeling issues, they won’t happen.
SKRITT, HYLEK, OGRES, QUAGGAN, GRAWL, EXALTED…: These are the “ally” races that only help out later on. So they’re out, for the same reasons as the “villain” races.
KODAN: Their VAs are just too hilarious. Also, as with dwarves, lack of customization options because only the Voice of Koda can be a color/pattern other than solid white.
LARGOS: Meant to be mysterious. They’re water drow anyway. Also, those wings would clip with literally everything. Still my second choice, though, because armor modeling wouldn’t be THAT bad.
TENGU: Already half-finished, and their models are similar to those of charr, so they’re the most realistic and my first choice. Also, birb people, what could go wrong besides storyline stuff?

in Lore

Agemnon.4608

PENGU: Seriously, WTF?

We can consider them alternate face and body types of regular Tengu to keep things simple. There really aren’t enough penguin people in fiction (no Happy Feet doesn’t count they’re straight up penguins who can talk not humanoid penguins.)

LARGOS: Meant to be mysterious. They’re water drow anyway. Also, those wings would clip with literally everything. Still my second choice, though, because armor modeling wouldn’t be THAT bad.

Too close to humans (already have norn and sylvari) as well as their wings would have issues with current wings.

KODAN: Their VAs are just too hilarious. Also, as with dwarves, lack of customization options because only the Voice of Koda can be a color/pattern other than solid white.

They can make up different types of Kodan to justify different fur colors. Like we could have Koda from lands the series hasn’t even touched upon.

in Lore

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

skritt
skritt
skritt

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

in Lore

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

1. Canthans
2. Elonians
3. Ancient Orrians (time-traveling yay)

in Lore

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

1. Tengu
2. Kodan
3. (And just for the lulz) Dredge. Or maybe Skritt. I don’t know.

Sadly, judging by the many rants I’ve seen from passionate Charr and Asura players, I think ANET should probably stick to more humanoid-ish species so armor clipping won’t be so much of a nightmare for the designers.

Tengu would be really nice though. <3 Birdpeople.

in Lore

Agemnon.4608

Dredge would be way OP because they’re immune to blind.

Agree with you on Tengu game needs playable birdpeople.

in Lore

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

I was going to say Centaur, but can you imagine how ridiculous Jumping Puzzles would then be?

“Gadkitten, I missed that last floating rock because I couldn’t see where my legs were landing again!”

in Lore

Posted by: zeronatras.3280

zeronatras.3280

Ley Line Dudes, before raid it’s easly to assume that Thaumanova Anomaly is one of them (probably older brother VG), and green/red/blue Guardians are kids of the Vale Guardian and now we have Yellow Anomaly, the younger brother of VG who swore his revenge upon us.
I think the new race will be enemy of the rest.

in Lore

Posted by: starhunter.6015

starhunter.6015

I have a few choices and a few that I feel couldn’t work.
Playable Races 1) Tengu they have been around since GW1, they already share animations with the Charr and have already been considered. Plus who wouldn’t want a giant samurai Bird.
Race 2) Largos, mysterious and aquatic which will work well with DSD. They are humanoid so armor would be easier to model . Animations mostly human I would think. we have seen a few of them in world and personal story.
Race 3) Quaggan . They have been shown to have variants so customizing would work. Able to hulk out when enraged. Since HoT they have improved some of the Quaggan story wise, able to speak better. As for armor would have to make the leggings for them be tail covers, Boots = ankle armor,

As for races I think that wouldn’t work specially at current time
Race 1) Kodan, no real difference in their appearance. Would need to introduce a few variants in-world first through Living Story or Events. (personally would love to play one)
Race 2) Dwarf, they are pretty much extinct. Turned to stone fighting to keep a Elder Dragon at bay. So no flesh an blood dwarfs seem to exist .
Race 3) Ogre’s suffer similar to that of the Kodan, cool race but no customization. They all look alike.

in Lore

Posted by: Dawanarth.4601

Dawanarth.4601

starhunter is totaly rigth they will integrate the largos with the DSD,the tengu with Primorduis( since we’ve heard that they have problem with the destroyer),and the quaggan as a joke that will become a real race because of all the comunity

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Ogres actually have a lot of room for customization. From the spine/forehead horns (or lack of) to skin tones to body shapes and facial features. Kodan really just has body shapes and facial features.

That said, quaggan’s in the same camp as ogre – and grawl, skritt, and hylek. They’re sympathetic (note: lesser) races. They don’t have the numbers or resources to be a “major” (aka playable) race.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: jonoth.2308

jonoth.2308

I’d love Centaurs in any game to be playable. Unlikely in GW2, but if they did their racials could be centered around swiftness buffs and charges/knockdowns.

Tengu have the most things working in their favor (been around a while, have a yet to be revealed but established capital city, factions, a culture unique compared to most of the existing playable races, etc). So they require the least work of pretty much any existing race, with the Kodan coming in a close second.

I like Kodan a lot, and Far Shiverpeaks gives an opportunity to have a decent capital, but personality-wise they are too close to Norn (they come off as more spiritual, perma-bearform Norn to me). If they are introducing a new race, I’d think they’d want something that stands out more against the others.

I really like Orges and Skritt (they’d be my #2 and #3 for races I’d want), but they both lack room for a major capital city, and like Centaurs I can see their major bonuses coming from racials (especially Skritt, who should have buffs/skills that scale with group size). I don’t see Guild wars revamping their racial abilities anytime soon, so it puts them somewhat out of the running.

Largos and Quaggan are both plausible in that they are primary water races, so there is plenty of room under the sea snicker to build a capital for either. Quaggan get the shorter end due to armor (Largos could use slightly modified human armor as mentioned before, whereas Quaggan armor will need a huge amount of work).

Grawl, Hylek, Jotun, Harpies, Ettin, and Krait could all be interesting, but have many of the same limitations as the above races.

I know someone probably read Ettin and thought “What the heck?!”, but I think a playable race with a very clear lack of relative “intellect” would be one of the most fun options, since throwing logic on its behind would make the most unpredictable gameplay. Plus, cut scenes where they watch both your heads argue about what to do would be hilarious.

“Good news, everyone!”

in Lore

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

Largos, skritt, tengu for me.

let the sky fall

in Lore

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

1. Tengu

2. Largos

3. ….Tengu.

NSPride <3

in Lore

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

I don’t find that the Kodan and the Norns are close spiritually or culturally. Quite the contrary in fact. The Kodan are aloof, possessing a sense of superiority (almost a God-Complex, in fact) which makes them think that they have the innate right to judge the whole world and its races. They’re a lot more secretive than the Norns, a lot less open to outsiders (most of the Kodan refugees who can be found in the Norns zones are arrogant, if not downright rude toward the players, if I remember right).

I think that Tengu will be the only playable race from Tyria added in the game, at least as long as we do not move away from Tyria itself to discover new continents.

in Lore

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

In terms of mechanics, gameplay and lore, the only viable ones are:

The Tengu

Why:
Because their race was initally planned to be amoung the launch races but was swapped at the concept stages of the game.

How:
Unlike most races, Tengu had a recent update with their animations and models allowing them to use swords with unique animations while before they could only have unique bow animations. This suggests A-net has plans to give them more animation options and styles before they’re done.

Lore:
I am not a fan of the Tengu personally, but their storyline is most likely going to be linked to either Cantha, or Primordus. Their “isolation” storyline feels a bit naff and weak and doesnt give us enough culture, lore rich and vast to seperate them from other races, but it has promise.

They will likely show up as a playable race when Cantha finally becomes a thing due to their hatred of the humans that lived there for driving them away. They could help the humans of Kryta deal with the white mantle due to their prejudices and style but I dont really think that blend makes any sense personally.

Problems:
While I do think Tengu are likely going to be playable, I dislike the notion of them being playable, in essense, they are very similar culturally to the Charr, and that similarity makes their only real appeal the fact they have asian themes around their culture which is about the “only” thing I can see making any real reason for them being a playable race.

Now lets move onto number 2, my favorate option:

The Largos

Why:
The Largos are actually “perfect” in terms of racial choice, they have a mysterious, dark background with little lore on them presently which fits the theme of Steve perfectly (Deep Sea Dragon) and weaves into their culture well.

How:
They have defined male and female character models, and could easily be updated to have new rigging, models and textures making them much like Sylvari/Humans while Tengu would only need a rigging like Charr/Asura.

Lore:
The mystery behind this race is what gives it potential, we dont know much about them, they are similar to predator in terms of lore, dark, mysterious, hunt enemies mostly alone on glorified murder/assassination tasks by their Tethyos Houses. They have a very atlantean vibe about them, or nomadic culture, I kept fanon seeing them living in a fleet of giant submarines.

The Largos would work well as a culture because of the fact they fit a missing piece in the world. I feel they would be a more ideal choice because they have the potential to be.

The Problem:
The lack of knowladge about their physical characteristics and lore could also be a void A-net may struggle to fill without delving into the depths (pun intended) which requires alot of underwater combat revamping and other underwater things. Plus their wings (though that can be resolved by updated lore about their species).

Number 3 is my wildcard, I had alot of optoins for this, Skritt, Centaurs, Stone Dwarves, Kodan even, all I like the idea of and all even Margonites and Mursaat which would be AMAZING by the way.

But I think number 3… will be:

The Undead

Why:
Palawa Joko is a villian, undoubtedly a villian, but a villian we may “need” to defeat our enemies, and his undead elonian armies, may be the key to scoring an equal playing field against Kralkatorrik.

How:
New, interesting decrepid mummy style appearences/figures decompusre but not quite necrosis on humanoid characters resembling former humans could be added to make this happen.

Lore:
Ever heard the phrase, the enemy of my enemy? Joko’s armies could be located on the edge of the desert connecting Elona to Tyria, allowing us to use that as a new starting point as the Pact gains a new foothold to launch campaigns from. Joko denies us access to Elona, but on an uneasy promise, agrees to help us defeat Kralkatorrik and join us “if” we respect his rule over the border and beyond.

A reluctant unholy alliance would make an interesting new play since it would create a new route for the story to take, the concept of undead being allies, rather than enemies.

The Problem:
A Self explaintary Wildcard, much like the idea of Margonites or Mursaat being playable, this requires extensive depth and lore and a willingness for A-net to look at darker but more interesting plot twists in Gw2 to move its world forwards.

It could work, it could even happen, but I dont think it will, it would be AWESOME if it did, but who knows.

in Lore

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Squirrels

Attachments:

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

(edited by Burtnik.5218)

in Lore

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Dwarfs,
Tengu,
Kodan.

RP enthusiast

in Lore

Posted by: Luke.1402

Luke.1402

I would actually love to play as a Largo.

I know many people might be uninterested by their human like appearances, but trust me, it’ll probably be the 2nd most played race after human. Funny because people say the human race is generic/boring..

I want more largo

in Lore

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

My Top 3 are:
1. Tengu, and possibly in the upcoming Expansion Pack (explaining why they have so many people working for so long on it). I don’t think we’re going to get the Canthan breed here – they’ve been burned too many times by humans. and will likely be as hostile as the Coztic Hylek are. Instead, we’d be getting the Tengu of the Dominion of Winds. We’ve already got space for their starter and capitol map, they have a unique culture and lore (And they aren’t really similar to the Charr, except maybe in the ‘somewhat militant" sense.), and are being pressured by Primordous, the currently-waking Dragon. Trying to decide whether or not to join the Five Race Alliance is going from “Something we may have to think about eventually” to "OH kitten DRAGON IS KILLING US WHAT THE kitten DO WE DO!? Oh, right, we’re surrounded by a bunch of guys who ALSO want the dragon dead!". They were also on the table to being one of the races before launch.

Pros:
- Already strong groundwork for them, in space, lore, and model allocation.
- High Demand

Cons:
- Some people whine about everything, including playable Tengu.

2. Palowa Joko’s Undead. Sure, we see Palowa Joko as a villain in the first game, but we also saw the Charr as such as well. Who know’s what he’s going to be up to now that he has control? He might even help us Make Tyria Great Again! … sorry. Couldn’t resist. But it’s still an option. Also – Undead are ugly, but in an awesome way. We can recruit them when, after finishing Primordus and gaining the Tengu, we march on the Crystal Desert and Kralkatorrik.

3. Dredge. Okay. This is a distant third, but there’s space in the Steamspur Mountains/Deldrimor Front area for them. Problem is that they’re ugly, but not in a cool way. (The ‘blind’ immunity can be ignored for playable Dredge). Sure, the vast majority of the race we meet were Moletariate forces – but there’s a revolution going on. If the Inquest gets outed as hostile to Dredge interests, and if Primordus’ damage to Kryta is enough to cause human (The ancient allies of the Dwarven Oppressors) influence to wane over the pact, and Charr influence to spread in the wake of Kralkatorrik’s defeat. (Remember – humans get defeated and beat back by dudes with horsebutts. Charr are stalemated on a 3-front war of attrition against personnel-hijacking dragon minions, rapidly-reproducing religious zealots, and infinitely-respawning ghosts). Unfortunately, them already having so much presence in the game would end up working against them, since they’re reduced to ‘trash mobs with a single weapon set" – Unless the developers were to rename those assets (And make Dredge weapons in-game the T1 or T2 cultural weapons, possibly renamed to “Steamspur Weapons”. They do have a distinct culture and architecture from the Charr they’re otherwise kind of similar to.

Largos, for me, are at the very bottom of "Playable races’, somewhere behind Google-Eyed Earth Elementals.

in Lore

Posted by: Nuriya.7354

Nuriya.7354

1. Largos
2. Tengu
3. Monkeyish new Race

in Lore

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

Largos, Largos… and Largos

in Lore

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

Tengus.
I’ll pay the price of two extensions for it. They’re just great.

in Lore

Posted by: TriEdge.5149

TriEdge.5149

Kodan
Quagan
Skritt

[KILL]SlavicVarg / Fissue of Woe /
Should I go left where nothing is right,
or right where nothing is left?

in Lore

Posted by: Seiroxena.6350

Seiroxena.6350

Quaggan is life Quaggan is love

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

We’ll never see a new race as long as people whine about trivial little things like clipping issues

in Lore

Posted by: pikkunana.7495

pikkunana.7495

1. Largos , interesting more about their homes and maybe see water dragon?
2. Tengu , what is the wall…
3. Warden ,cantah! ;3 what happen to them after…

Orge and Etting would be funny…need ugly and stupit creatures too!

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

Destroyers, by a mile!

in Lore

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

After seeing the trailer for LS3 ep2 now I want to play a kitten Skritt like the Skritt Pirate!

in Lore

Posted by: magmarhydreigon.4863

magmarhydreigon.4863

I think Tengu is pretty up there for me. They have their own city, which we haven’t seen, there’s a whole bunch of empty map space, and it would be great to see them come out of their shells. Plus, they seem to have the diversity that would be expected of playable races.

Kodan, I love bears and they have their own cities, but I don’t think they are as likely as Tengu, if they will add a new race at all.

Largos would be cool, we know very little of them, and it’d be pretty cool to see them come out of the waters, if Steve ever attacks, or if the remaining Orr undead push them out.

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

After seeing the trailer for LS3 ep2 now I want to play a kitten Skritt like the Skritt Pirate!

Skritt only have a society/commodity when in big groups. Kingdoms and Pirates (in this case) have a ‘somewhat poor, but still excuse’ right to call themselves functioning creatures. When a skritt is alone, he posesses the ability to process one thought at a time, making them so dumb that they wouldn’t be able to fight well. A lone skritt would use rifles as hammers and pistols as maces.

in Lore

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

Undead, been playing too much Legion…..about time we get undead characters.

then maybe trolls and dwarfs.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I’m with the majority in that the tengu are definitely the leading nomination for a new playable race. They could be really cool, and we have at least one show up in the original personal story. I don’t think I need to give any more support than that.

I think the kodan could become an interesting race. People keep saying there isn’t enough customization with them, but that could always be retconned. Add in some topfur for hair, maybe paint to give them tattoos (assuming it’s not too much of a cultural taboo) and a few other stylized choices. Maybe there are some black bear kodan somewhere, or brown bear kodan. Nothing says the kodan we know are the only tribes around.

For the third, the largos seems like the best choice, but I’m going to deviate and suggest that we meet another short, diminutive race. We have the asura, yes, but why not another short-statured race? Let’s not be heightist here. Small, agile creatures can be as much an asset as large, strong races.