Can't Decide Between Soldier Professions

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: nate.6143

nate.6143

In every game I play, I choose the class that best represents the fantasy I want to play out, including the types of weapons they use. I cannot and will not deviate from this fantasy, so choosing the right profession is even more crucial to my long-term enjoyment of the game. I’m choosing between Warrior/Revanant/Guardian.

The weapons I’d use would be:

Warrior – sword/sword + sword/shield + greatsword + longbow + rifle
Revenant – sword/sword + sword/shield
Guardian – sword/shield + greatsword + longbow

So out of those 3, how would you rate their effectiveness in solo PvE, PvP, dungeons, fractals, and raids? I intend to choose the best out of these options.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Hi i have the same fantasy restriction upon every RPG i have played.

My main is a warrior, sword master, marksman and mercenery. He uses greatsword, sword shield, longbow and rifle. No matter how i wanted to try dual axe and condi build with mace, the only way for me to do so is to make another warrior.

I am in love with warrior GS rifle build and this is a setup that i can strike through pve, drance inside pvp and roam within wvw. Only raid is where i have to take another weapon besides rifle.

You can try all these classes first before making a call.

Posted by: CAA.9653

CAA.9653

The warrior is pretty easy to play. You mostly just use GS 2 and kill everything and feel like a kitten doing it.

The guardian has very low health, so you have to play smarter. And the damage output often isn’t as high as warriors. But you provide some support to your group.

Both are very effective in PvE and WvW. I use both classes, and both are common in high end fractals. Guardian is probably more common.

I don’t have a lot of experience with Revenant, but I don’t often see them in high level fractals.

Make all three and share gear between them. Ascended stuff is account bound.

Guardian – Cameid, but my friends call me Cam

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Warrior, then guardian, then revenant.

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

If you’re looking to Raid and do Fractals, then I’m afraid you’re gonna have to deviate from your “Fantasy” quite a lot as Meta dictates what is useful and what is not. For example, Warrior wants to run Condition Damage with Sword/Torch + Longbow in Raids and Direct Damage with Greatsword + Mace/Shield in Fractals. You -can- of course run whatever the heck you like in open world PvE or when teaming with friends, however Raids and High-end Fractals are designed to be challenging to the point where playing sub-optimal builds oftentimes just pulls the team down with you.

PvP/WvW is slightly different. There are still optimal builds, but in a player-vs-player environment the win typically goes to the mechanically more skilled player. Running Optimal Builds greatly improve your chance of winning but overall you can coax by with anything if you’re just good enough.

Overall, from the weapons you’ve chosen, I’d say Warrior is your best bet for taking part in every game-mode. Guardian and Revenant are currently lacking in PvE, especially endgame content such as Raids, and even there you’d be expected to run weapons you probably don’t want to run.

With Warrior, if you can fit Torch into your fantasy, then Sword/Torch + Longbow with a Condition Setup will fit you into any Raid (Look up qT’s builds for Raids for optimal builds). In Fractals, Greatsword-camping with a Mace/Shield to swap to when you need CC is typically the way to go.

In PvP most people run a full-throttle Spike build with Greatsword and Mace/Shield, but again if you’re good enough you can probably switch that up a little. Greatsword/Rifle is a fun build to use, as someone stated above.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

^This,

If you like “soldier” professions, there is no harm in trying all three, especially as they can all share their “end-game” gear. Just make 1 ascended set of armor/weapons and have them share it based on whatever you feel like playing at the time.

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

^This,

If you like “soldier” professions, there is no harm in trying all three, especially as they can all share their “end-game” gear. Just make 1 ascended set of armor/weapons and have them share it based on whatever you feel like playing at the time.

True, I didn’t think about that. This is a good idea.

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

Keep this in mind tho: Contrary to what it would seem, Warrior is a support class and Guardian is the heavy hitter. Unless you plan to use condition damage, warrior damage even with greatsword is actually quite lame, and sword is pathetic for pure damage as all its damage comes from stacking bleeding. Go ahead and stick with Fantasy tropes for open world pve, but expect to have it rough on endgame content.