Most Common Mistakes Made by SoloQers

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

If you run towards a revenant in a full set of heavy scale armor you’re gonna have a bad time.

in PvP

Posted by: Aeryn.9813

Aeryn.9813

Please be courteous. If you’re trying out a new build, queue unranked or hotjoin first.

Fantaram – ele
I Hate Dumb Teams – nec

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Leave home and go mid when someone from your team is respawning.

When respawning go home if nobody is protecting it.

in PvP

Aeryn.9813

Queuing on weekends :/

Fantaram – ele
I Hate Dumb Teams – nec

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

You make it sound like weekends are a bad time to queue. The increase in player population is a very positive thing. Queuing on weekends should be promoted not avoided.

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

You make it sound like weekends are a bad time to queue. The increase in player population is a very positive thing. Queuing on weekends should be promoted not avoided.

I had much better games earlier today than lately. This is the time when premades are out in full force. Oh well, may as well do bell choir until the farmers go to bed.

in PvP

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

So, judging from this thread, heading far is very situational? Hmm, makes me think my team needs a re-evaluation.

From personal experience, my team of 3 (Which is the oh-so-cheesy Herald/Chrono/Tempest combo. Bite me, I’ve mained Ele/Engi since a year before HoT.)
So far, our splits have generally consisted of sending Chrono/Herald to mid, while a snatch one of the PuGs and head far, leaving the last to cap home and then reinforce mid.

The reasoning for this split is to Contest Far long enough for us to gain a headstart from capping Home, while Chrono/Herald bunkers mid 2v3 or 2v4 until our homeboy comes in. Depending on enemy reactions, one of the Far team guys run back to Mid to make it a 4v4 there, or 1/2 of their guys return to their Home node to fight us 2v2 or 3v2 (if it’s the latter, we’ve generally counted the game as a win). Once Home and Mid are capped, we retreat and bunker up until the timer goes off.

So far, we’ve won most our games this way (Even against other meta combos), the few times we’ve lost has been because, and believe me I hate to say this, we’ve had a Thief on our team. Or the enemy team was simply better than us, happened too.

Have we just been insanely lucky to get this far? For comparison, our Herald’s in Diamond League, while Chrono/Tempest are Sapphire, sniffing on Ruby. Will we positively crash and burn later on?

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

in PvP

Posted by: Arutha.9874

Arutha.9874

So, judging from this thread, heading far is very situational? Hmm, makes me think my team needs a re-evaluation.

From personal experience, my team of 3 (Which is the oh-so-cheesy Herald/Chrono/Tempest combo. Bite me, I’ve mained Ele/Engi since a year before HoT.)
So far, our splits have generally consisted of sending Chrono/Herald to mid, while a snatch one of the PuGs and head far, leaving the last to cap home and then reinforce mid.

The reasoning for this split is to Contest Far long enough for us to gain a headstart from capping Home, while Chrono/Herald bunkers mid 2v3 or 2v4 until our homeboy comes in. Depending on enemy reactions, one of the Far team guys run back to Mid to make it a 4v4 there, or 1/2 of their guys return to their Home node to fight us 2v2 or 3v2 (if it’s the latter, we’ve generally counted the game as a win). Once Home and Mid are capped, we retreat and bunker up until the timer goes off.

So far, we’ve won most our games this way (Even against other meta combos), the few times we’ve lost has been because, and believe me I hate to say this, we’ve had a Thief on our team. Or the enemy team was simply better than us, happened too.

Have we just been insanely lucky to get this far? For comparison, our Herald’s in Diamond League, while Chrono/Tempest are Sapphire, sniffing on Ruby. Will we positively crash and burn later on?

See the reason you are doing well with this tactic is because you know there is two good and synergistic bunkers on mid so they survive. Unfortunately in solo queue you can assume everyone is on a squishy dps even if on the most meta build for their class.

The one thing to point is it sounds a bit poor that you say take 2 to far and not cap it?
With two you should be able to take home comfortably but it would be better with a dedicated 1v1er going far and changing to mid if over pressured.

Well conclusion is it is much easier to go far if you have a team, but that was obvious and the thread is about SoloQ and you cant rely on your team so you are much more valuable in mid as you would probably be the only heal/bunk there.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

@TheSwede,

This thread is really for SoloQ players. Pre-made teams of players on TS and who have played together a bit usually have the coordination to pull off other kinds of strategies that random pugs thrown together cannot really accomplish.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I agree with mostly all but one ting that annoys me a lot because I’m someone like that.

Asking ppl to only play meta build is none of your kitten business. If you hate other players that don’t only play the purest cheese only just don’t soloq yourself and you will have no problem. There is only a problem if you yourself do not assume the inherent risk of soloquing.

I’m allergic to playing what millions are playing… Like I said, I’m like that… I still win more than I loose and do my best to win and cooperate but what I play is only your business if we agree prior to match about what we will do. Otherwise…

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

Thanks for sharing your team’s strat. I started this guide as a means to help or “remind” SoloQuers basic conquest principles. Communication with 4 random pugs will always be an uphill battle. That’s why everyone should know what we’re really fighting for – ownership of nodes. It’s unreal how many lose track or forget that one simple objective.

An organized 3 man queue has the leverage to carry the rest of the team. You guys have already mapped out a plan which gives you such an enormous advantage over a 5 man pug team. You guys aren’t winning because you’re lucky, you are winning because you are prepared.

Sending one far is a risky proposition for SoloQers. It fails most of the time. But in the case of an organized team, if you arrive there before they cap, then the strategy may work. Giving the home capper and far runner mobility is critical at the start.

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

I agree with mostly all but one ting that annoys me a lot because I’m someone like that.

Asking ppl to only play meta build is none of your kitten business. If you hate other players that don’t only play the purest cheese only just don’t soloq yourself and you will have no problem. There is only a problem if you yourself do not assume the inherent risk of soloquing.

I’m allergic to playing what millions are playing… Like I said, I’m like that… I still win more than I loose and do my best to win and cooperate but what I play is only your business if we agree prior to match about what we will do. Otherwise…

I don’t impose people to play the meta builds. In fact the word annoys me because it’s shallow and narrow minded for people to follow it religiously even if it doesn’t apply to them.

What makes me sad is when people bring in garbage builds. The build may be good but their lack of practice still make them garbage and useless. As SoloQuers we should expect everyone including ourselves, to bring in builds we will contribute positively with.

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

I had much better games earlier today than lately. This is the time when premades are out in full force. Oh well, may as well do bell choir until the farmers go to bed.

Same. Weekends dont turn out too well for me. I do far better on weeknights during primetime.

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

in PvP

Posted by: mastergreki.8017

mastergreki.8017

I’d like to add my 2 copper to the lot

Write your intentions in team chat before match start
Your team can only benefit the more you communicate and when roles/positions are assigned. Dont be shy, be one of the bunch.

Understand well your build and role
If you are an auramancer Tempest, or a boon signet Revenant, or a Druid heavily focused on healing, your place is most likely in the big fight. A capable player running a support build can probably fair very well in duels or aggressive capping as well, but its potential is wasted as his value is greatly superior when fighting together with 2 or 3 allies. Know your role, and understand what you bring to the field.

If you’re running dangerously low on health in the middle of the fight: DISENGAGE!
It’s the best decision- try to anticipate the outcome of the fight. If you run away from the field, contrary to common belief you’re not a coward. You take time to replenish your health and avoid the 30-60 seconds you loose when you die, plus the 5 points your enemy wins for killing you.

Use your UI tools!
The map and team health bars are your most valuable information. Learn to read them, and make a habit of looking at them often. If you’ve just respawned and see 3 other team mates health to zero, stop. Don’t rush to mid. Look at the map and understand where everyone is headed, regroup. Dont initiate the 1v4 kill/spawn roundabout. The reason why many new players blindly jump to their death is lack of interface usage.

Choose and FOCUS on a target
Probably the biggest setback during a fight is having every team member engaging a different opponent. It doesnt matter if you are outnumbering the enemy. You will loose. Open your keyboard settings window and assign your key to Target a chosen enemy. The rest of the team will see a crosshair on the target’s name and will be able to assist. This should be the first thing you do when starting an engagement. Choose a new target when the previous is dead/downed or has fled the battle.

Don’t fight between points, unless…
If your intention is to capture a certain point on the map, head there and dont fight along the way. Fight on top of the point as much as possible to maximize your team score. The exception to this is the other side of the medal: if you see an enemy heading to one of your points, it is a good decision to intercept them on the way and force them into a fight off the point you are holding, negating him a chance to decap your point.

Going all 5 at mid (so zero at close or far) at match start can sometimes be a good decision
You are very likely to win the initial 5v4 or 5v3, permitting you to easily take back close while the enemy is slowly respawing 1 by 1. You might sacrifice a few points initially but can result in having your full team alive and ready to control the rest of the match.

(edited by mastergreki.8017)

in PvP

Posted by: chibbi.3706

chibbi.3706

When you respawn and your team just got wiped, don’t run straight to a defended point, either cap a undefended one if possible (most of the time it won’t be) or just wait for your team. I see people do this all the time, and everytime they just die, respawn, and do it again.

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

Thank you @ mastergreki & chibbi.

It’s 2 copper to you but priceless to those that want to improve their enjoyment out of pvp!

in PvP

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

Not much seems to get stickied in these forums, but this thread is close to warranting a sticky.

No matter what our other complaints may be in PvP (and I have plenty), good tactics will always help. I’ve already learned a thing or two on this thread.

One thing I will say is you get better results from your teammates with honey than with salt. Add “Please” to your chat messages and don’t bother starting flamewars because the time you spend typing could be spent capping, and you can sometimes win a match that seems hopeless at the time. I’ve noticed that teams that are good at fighting are not necessarily good at map rotation.

Keep an eye on the map every few seconds and grab the empty node if everyone is having a battle royale. Any player no matter how underpowered can do this.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

in PvP

Posted by: TheOneWhoSighs.7513

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

I personally get discouraged when teammates hp drop to red and then black in a matter of seconds.

So don’t bring ChronoShatter, got it.

“Unused Development Initiative. We care so much
about your feedback, that we don’t even read it.” ~ Crystal Suzuki

in PvP

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

most common mistake, hitting the queue button, srsly, all of the above is moot until they split the queues.

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

I personally get discouraged when teammates hp drop to red and then black in a matter of seconds.

So don’t bring ChronoShatter, got it.

i dont care if you bring your condi warrior w/ assassin ammy or power scepter necro with magi ammy as long as you know what you’re doing.

in PvP

Aeryn.9813

I know this is minor but try to incorporate high mobility in your build.

Fantaram – ele
I Hate Dumb Teams – nec

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

The two most important things that solo quers can start doing:

On the spot organization for the initial split Quickly discuss who is going where. If your team comp is poor, swap characters. Devise a general strategy on how to approach the opponent’s team. This can be hard to do with solo quers but it is important to do now with the new league system in ranked.
Communicate If you have time to type in /t chat, call enemy numbers, where they are, where they are headed and how many there are. It isn’t hard to quick type “3 inc mid” or “2 home”. The same goes for when enemies are on respawn. Call it out “1 DH respawn”. Even brief text communication will seriously increase the accuracy of a PUG team’s positioning/rotations.

Remember that the only thing that seperates PUG teams from premades is indeed superior organization & communication factor.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

(edited by Trevor Boyer.6524)

in PvP

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

1. Defend the points you just capped.

Everyone read this.

Why bother even capping the point if you just run off so the enemy can take it immediately ? Why did you stand there and waste your time just to lose it 1 second later ? It blows my kittening mind.

460-380 ahead and all we need to do is get 1 point and hold it. Guy caps close I’m like GG Nice job !! – Guy walks off it a second later. Lose.
?=?=?=?!=?!=?!=!?=!?!=!?=!?=!?!=?!=+10
This happens way too often.
I literally start banging my head against my desk when kitten like that happens.
The stupidity is unreal.

I don’t mind if someone makes mechanical mistakes or is just unskilled, that’s understandable, but if you don’t use your kittening brain (because I’m 100% sure you have one) and don’t think logically… even if someone is typing in chat what you need to do, then kitten me please stop playing multiplayer computer games and go play tetris or do some sudoku…

in PvP

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

Not true, if you get players who don’t work as a team (or don’t communicate) that is a negative not a positive. Numbers don’t mean everything. I rather have less but higher quality players

(edited by CuRtoKy.8576)

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

1. Defend the points you just capped.

Everyone read this.

Why bother even capping the point if you just run off so the enemy can take it immediately ? Why did you stand there and waste your time just to lose it 1 second later ? It blows my kittening mind.

<sarcasm>But, but, but… capping more points instead of keeping one gives me a better personal score… and so does double capping (if you think ill let my teammate steal my personal glory!! duh!)!! We all know the higher your personal score is the better you are and the better the decision you make for the team… </sarcasm>

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

Not much seems to get stickied in these forums, but this thread is close to warranting a sticky.

No matter what our other complaints may be in PvP (and I have plenty), good tactics will always help. I’ve already learned a thing or two on this thread.

One thing I will say is you get better results from your teammates with honey than with salt. Add “Please” to your chat messages and don’t bother starting flamewars because the time you spend typing could be spent capping, and you can sometimes win a match that seems hopeless at the time. I’ve noticed that teams that are good at fighting are not necessarily good at map rotation.

Keep an eye on the map every few seconds and grab the empty node if everyone is having a battle royale. Any player no matter how underpowered can do this.

Thank you for your kinds words and yes, charm goes a long way. Sadly, many are lacking in that department, myself included.

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

TY @ Trevor, Aeryn, Aphix for reiterating the importance of communication, defense and mobility.

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

PLEASE STOP GOING FAR

If you’re not in an organized team and not on a high mobility class, you will fail. Please trust me on that. Your incompetence will cost your team an early wipe than may lead to them feeling deflated and not want to push any harder.

So dont be an imbecile, stop going far.

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Aeryn.9813

Do the math:

1 point every 2 seconds on each node capped

Capturing and defending points is how you really win. It’s the fastest way to get to 500.
So please stop chasing the mesmer.

Fantaram – ele
I Hate Dumb Teams – nec

in PvP

Arutha.9874

Do the math:

Capturing and defending points is how you really win. It’s the fastest way to get to 500.

Although that math is also useful the other way:
Dying = 5 points so unless you believe you can delay their decap by 5 seconds you are better off going somewhere else or pressuring from off point to get them to chase you.
Delaying opposition capture while on a neutral is even stupider you need to delay at least 10 seconds before you die to make it worth it.
Sometimes you really think that you can delay long enough for allies to come help but if you got no support never engage outnumbered as any 2 person team can spike even a Mesmer out in 10 seconds.

I agree that your situation happens a lot more in low MMR, but hopefully when those mistakes are gradually trained away you will have to think about this situation more.

PS. Map awareness, map awareness, map awareness! You are 1v1 at controlled home, bunker Mesmer furiously trying to run, you know you are going to die unless you move away. kittening stay and die and come +1 that point in 20 seconds, instead of letting decap and probably still dying. To be honest those situations are 100% the only cases where I think team communication would actually matter and make me believe people’s obsession with team vs soloQ unfairness, but still team comms is just a replacement for good map awareness and math.

(edited by Arutha.9874)

in PvP

Aeryn.9813

Do the math:

Dying = 5 points so unless you believe you can delay their decap by 5 seconds you are better off going somewhere else or pressuring from off point to get them to chase you.
Delaying opposition capture while on a neutral is even stupider you need to delay at least 10 seconds before you die to make it worth it.
Sometimes you really think that you can delay long enough for allies to come help but if you got no support never engage outnumbered as any 2 person team can spike even a Mesmer out in 10 seconds.

I agree that your situation happens a lot more in low MMR, but hopefully when those mistakes are gradually trained away you will have to think about this situation more.

PS. Map awareness, map awareness, map awareness! You are 1v1 at controlled home, bunker Mesmer furiously trying to run, you know you are going to die unless you move away. kittening stay and die and come +1 that point in 20 seconds, instead of letting decap and probably still dying. To be honest those situations are 100% the only cases where I think team communication would actually matter and make me believe people’s obsession with team vs soloQ unfairness, but still team comms is just a replacement for good map awareness and math.

Please lay off the drugs.

Had no idea my short comment created fantasies in your mind about my rotation and MMR.

Btw, only an inexperienced person would say team comms is a replacement for good map awareness. Tournament tier players have superior map awareness, much better than yours and what you’re suggesting is they no longer need it. You are laughable. Get over yourself.

Fantaram – ele
I Hate Dumb Teams – nec

in PvP

Arutha.9874

Do the math:

Had no idea my short comment created fantasies in your mind about my rotation and MMR.

Btw, only an inexperienced person would say team comms is a replacement for good map awareness. Tournament tier players have superior map awareness, much better than yours and what you’re suggesting is they no longer need it. You are laughable. Get over yourself.

I am sorry I did suggest that there was nothing wrong with your statement I am sorry if it came across the opposite way.

Firstly I am not saying that with comms you can close your eyes just that bad players get better with comms because they can call out eg “2 inc mid and Mesmer at home” whereas if you have good map awareness your team knows that already from map.
But I am saying that if tournament tier players switched off their comms but still played in a group yes they would destroy any non tournament tier group regardless of their comms or not. Comms are a crutch for mistakes so the better your team is (assuming all equal skilled) the less you Need comms.

I apologise for phrasing in a way the implied the quoted was the one with low MMR, I intended to make a statement addressing the whole community saying low MMR games will tend to have a lot of the “chasing mistakes”, while mid tier MMR will have a lot of the “sacrifice in the name of holding mistakes” and “abandon without checking for incoming support mistakes.” The latter two a miscalculation based off the first.
Watch out for all of these situations as you advance play.

PS. I was just happy to build on your idea Aeryn, hell I am more of an observer myself not even playing enough to get to Ruby yet. I see the single sentence your(Aeryn) and you(everyone) that I wrote and it didn’t quite read that way in my mind, I do apologise.

(edited by Arutha.9874)

in PvP

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

6. accept the fact that you’re playing with 4 other strangers and anything can happen

in which case, this thread is unnecessary

in PvP

Arutha.9874

6. accept the fact that you’re playing with 4 other strangers and anything can happen

Controlling that chaos is what this thread is about.

in PvP

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

Controlling that chaos is what this thread is about.

option 1: be at peace accepting the fact that anything can happen
option 2: attempt to control complete strangers and stress out when they slightly deviate

in PvP

Aeryn.9813

Do the math:

I am sorry I did suggest that there was nothing wrong with your statement I am sorry if it came across the opposite way.

Firstly I am not saying that with comms you can close your eyes just that bad players get better with comms because they can call out eg “2 inc mid and Mesmer at home” whereas if you have good map awareness your team knows that already from map.
But I am saying that if tournament tier players switched off their comms but still played in a group yes they would destroy any non tournament tier group regardless of their comms or not. Comms are a crutch for mistakes so the better your team is (assuming all equal skilled) the less you Need comms.

I apologise for phrasing in a way the implied the quoted was the one with low MMR, I intended to make a statement addressing the whole community saying low MMR games will tend to have a lot of the “chasing mistakes”, while mid tier MMR will have a lot of the “sacrifice in the name of holding mistakes” and “abandon without checking for incoming support mistakes.” The latter two a miscalculation based off the first.
Watch out for all of these situations as you advance play.

PS. I was just happy to build on your idea Aeryn, hell I am more of an observer myself not even playing enough to get to Ruby yet. I see the single sentence your(Aeryn) and you(everyone) that I wrote and it didn’t quite read that way in my mind, I do apologise.

Im sorry too, I love you.

Fantaram – ele
I Hate Dumb Teams – nec

in PvP

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

Ok, so I’m back with a scenario this time:

Imagine a Mirror match where everyone are PuGs of equal skill level in actual fights. Setup is Chrono, Tempest, Rev, Reaper and Scrapper. Map is Forest.

At the start of the match, you notice that the Scrapper is gonna head far and he doesn’t listen to /t. What should you do in this case?

A/ Ignore him, go 3 to mid and hope to hold out long enough for your Home-point capper to reinforce and make it a 4v4?
B/ Send 1 other player with him in a 2-2-1 split, hoping they’ll be able to decap or steal the opponent’s Home Point despite you obviously losing Mid?
C/ Abandon Mid completely and rush people to far?
D/ Sigh, count a lost pip and just fight a losing battle as you normally would cause there’s no saving that?

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

in PvP

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I think the OP needs to change the title of this thread. I have seen more than enough premades do the same things as listed above. What’s worse is when you get a bad premade since they should be in communication and still run around not knowing what to do next. Same rules apply. Key is to pay attention and don’t blame others for your own mis-plays, understand them and try and do better next time.

Really would love to see statistics on queues to see how many matches are premades of what sizes.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in PvP

TheGrimm.5624

Sharing tactics is fine and can be useful. This thread reads more like someone lost and they are playing the blame game. A lot of players believe there is one and only on tactic that will work and aren’t very open minded. No plan survives first contact is an axiom for a reason. People may have tactics that work well for their group and makeup, which is fine if they are playing a full 5. Its when its not a full 5 that the problem occurs. Its sadly human nature, well we lost, it must have been that random person versus John, I mean John never makes a mistake, right?

in PvP

TheGrimm.5624

Teamwork beats solo play every time. Every time.

Winning the fight will always win you the point. Winning the point will not always win you the fight.

Defending a point is not limited to standing on said point

That’s correct. It’s not really defending when the bunk sits at home breathing through his mouth while his teammates are out struggling in an outnumbered battle.

I think this is one of biggest points of contention and a great example. If a point is never threatened, then you just made your team fight handicapped everywhere else. The same tactic does not always work. Be aware, be ready to change up and react if needed. One size does not fit all. Playing as a full 5 man, have fun and pre-set all you want. If you don’t then be as ready to change up as you expect that random person to change up for you.

In either case, if you are courteous to that random then odds are a little better they might be back. Go straight in with preconceptions and attitude and you can expect to get what you give and you just hurt your entire team.

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

Teamwork beats solo play every time. Every time.

Winning the fight will always win you the point. Winning the point will not always win you the fight.

Defending a point is not limited to standing on said point

That’s correct. It’s not really defending when the bunk sits at home breathing through his mouth while his teammates are out struggling in an outnumbered battle.

I think this is one of biggest points of contention and a great example. If a point is never threatened, then you just made your team fight handicapped everywhere else. The same tactic does not always work. Be aware, be ready to change up and react if needed. One size does not fit all. Playing as a full 5 man, have fun and pre-set all you want. If you don’t then be as ready to change up as you expect that random person to change up for you.

In either case, if you are courteous to that random then odds are a little better they might be back. Go straight in with preconceptions and attitude and you can expect to get what you give and you just hurt your entire team.

The matches are not one-size-fits-all and that’s why SoloQ is exciting to me. Of course it can also be highly frustrating.

There’s no need to sit and bunk home if the opponents aren’t aggressive enough to contest or cap it. The most exciting matches are the ones with constant momentum.

Mobility is almost mandatory and one of the reasons why Chronobunkers are still amazing despite the precog nerf. There are so many tactics one could do with superior mobility – from quick decaps while opponents are spawning, assaulting gate in forefire to get their bunker off home, etc.

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

Ok, so I’m back with a scenario this time:

Imagine a Mirror match where everyone are PuGs of equal skill level in actual fights. Setup is Chrono, Tempest, Rev, Reaper and Scrapper. Map is Forest.

At the start of the match, you notice that the Scrapper is gonna head far and he doesn’t listen to /t. What should you do in this case?

A/ Ignore him, go 3 to mid and hope to hold out long enough for your Home-point capper to reinforce and make it a 4v4?
B/ Send 1 other player with him in a 2-2-1 split, hoping they’ll be able to decap or steal the opponent’s Home Point despite you obviously losing Mid?
C/ Abandon Mid completely and rush people to far?
D/ Sigh, count a lost pip and just fight a losing battle as you normally would cause there’s no saving that?

Unless it’s a high mobility build, going far at the start will always fail.

It’s a risky thing to do in a pug team.

The intent for doing it is not capping but preventing the opponents from scoring. Most people that run far don’t even know why they are going there in the first place. Many many many many many times I’ve seen teammates engage in a far fight after the opponents have capped it.

It gives me the urge to want to yell till their ears bleed.

What do I do when that happens? If no one is getting home, Im usually at home and would rush to mid after capping. Then at mid, I prepare for the outnumbered fight and rez or stomp as quickly as I can. That’s pretty much all I can do.

If far is already capped., it’s a waste of resource to send 2 people there. Because consider mid gone. And after opponents cap mid, guess where they will go next?

in PvP

Vapour.7348

Unless it’s a high mobility build, going far at the start will always fail.

Most people that run far don’t even know why they are going there in the first place. Many many many many many times I’ve seen teammates engage in a far fight after the opponents have capped it.

It gives me the urge to want to yell till their ears bleed.

omfg so much THIS

in PvP

Vapour.7348

I think the OP needs to change the title of this thread. I have seen more than enough premades do the same things as listed above. What’s worse is when you get a bad premade since they should be in communication and still run around not knowing what to do next. Same rules apply. Key is to pay attention and don’t blame others for your own mis-plays, understand them and try and do better next time.

Really would love to see statistics on queues to see how many matches are premades of what sizes.

What would you think is a more fitting title?
“Communicate, dumb plebs”
“Dont bring crappy builds to rank, stupid pleb”
“Please uninstall”

All jokes aside, the OP of this thread has a very good understanding of conquest but if his teammates are worthless, it’s not right for him to blame himself. Because in SoloQ, it’s common to get worthless teammates. You just need one to ruin the match for everyone else.

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

hey soloQers, I plagiarized the content below from Interpret Interrupt.3824 who has been pvping for 3+ yrs.

Mesmer pro tip. If you are using mesmer heal skill well, cast it so it benefits your team as well. They get the heal.

Ele pro tip. Just because your health bar is full does not mean that you should ignore water attunement. Use it to heal your teammates. Similarly using magnetic aura to protect your team. Ele is the least selfish class in the game that is often played the most selfishly.

Engi pro tip. Stop using stralth gyro on your capped node. Save it for teammate downs for perfect rezzing. You are decapping yourself.

Rev pro tip. You have the best kill pursuit in the game. Our necro should not be chasing that guy, you should teleport to him.

Warriror pro tip. Sometimes its better to HB on a downed teammate instead of rezzing. It has certainly won me some 2v2s.

Necro pro tip. Save that fear mark for the cheesy rev blocks. Instant ride turner.

Thief pro tip. Time the elite so that the first two strikes hit before the downing. Then it is an instant finisher.

Guard pro tip. Drop longbow 5 when people cluster for downs.

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

“Please uninstall”

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

Blaming others feels good because it gets the burden of responsibility off our shoulders.

Besides, we are perfect little creatures and it’s never our fault. Right?

However if we want to progress in this game (and in life), we need the help and cooperation of others. Often, blaming them is counter-productive. A better alternative is to teach those who are receptive to advice. Doing so will slowly improve the enjoyment everyone gets out of the game.

in PvP

Posted by: TheOneWhoSighs.7513

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

Blaming others feels good because it gets the burden of responsibility off our shoulders.

However if we want to progress in this game (and in life), we need the help and cooperation of others. Often, blaming them is counter-productive. A better alternative is to teach those who are receptive to advice. Doing so will slowly improve the enjoyment everyone gets out of the game.

Your post reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjI0ilcMNTM

Someone else posted that before. It’s fricken hilarious.

“Unused Development Initiative. We care so much
about your feedback, that we don’t even read it.” ~ Crystal Suzuki

in PvP

Pimsley.3681

Your post reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjI0ilcMNTM

Someone else posted that before. It’s fricken hilarious.

That was hilarious. I was a little kid when Street Fighter 2 came out in the arcade and remember seeing people waiting in line to play.

Was sarcastic about being perfect. I blush when I think about the hopeless noob crap I did in the past.

in PvP

Vapour.7348

Ele pro tip. Just because your health bar is full does not mean that you should ignore water attunement. Use it to heal your teammates. Similarly using magnetic aura to protect your team. Ele is the least selfish class in the game that is often played the most selfishly.

I can t believe there are soloQ eles running cleansing water instead of powerful aura. More victories are experienced by those who are unselfish. I know it’s hard in soloQ coz you’re put with a bunch of strangers. But those same 4 strangers are needed to win so might as well be useful and help your teammates succeed.