Adopt-a-Dev for the WvW Fall Tournament

in WvW

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

There were a handful of other tweaks brought up in our discussions that we are planning. These include reducing the number of people who can rally off of a kill.

Thank you so much John for addressing this issue! IMO currently unlimited rally creates a huge imbalance and snowball effect. Entire zerg can rally off of one person – that doesn’t sound right at all

On the other hand removing white swords doesn’t sound like a good idea. I bet it was suggested by someone who considers himself a dedicated scout and wants to feel special. I’m sure you can find another way to reward scouting.

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

(edited by Skady.5916)

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Not sure about removal of white swords. Everything else sounds great. The extra communication is fantastic

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

Removing white swords from objectives to give defenders a stronger role in alerting their team as well as giving attackers more of a chance to get through having their siege disabled.

This would be a mistake.

Very much so, it would be fine for full servers, but for those with low populations it would be a disaster….

+1 please DO NOT DO THIS…

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie

in WvW

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

The extra communication is fantastic

As negative as my earlier replies were, I agree with this. This is a fantastic example of the sort of communication I’d like to see more of. It gives people the opportunity to raise objections before things are finalized and implemented, even if their objections are ultimately ignored.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

in WvW

Posted by: KidShogun.8509

KidShogun.8509

Please proceed with caution, Devs.

There were several changes in the Sept 9th patch (mainly level-progression stuff) that just reeked of “hey let’s change something because if we aren’t changing something then we must not be doing our jobs.”

There’s certainly room for some positive tweaks to WvW, but “let’s make defending more active/rewarding by getting rid of the white swords” is a bit misguided.

in WvW

Posted by: Liz.1497

Liz.1497

Let me just chime in with the “for the love of God DO NOT REMOVE SWORDS”-crowd.
I’m from Sorrow’s Furnace and enjoy the lack of zerg vs zerg going on in our tier (it does happen, but only a couple of times a week). Our “zergs” usually consist of no more than 10 people, so if the commander has to send some of those scouting in order to have even just a touch of an idea what’s happening on the map… that would pretty much kill anything outside roaming and maybe “wvw guild nights”.
In fact, our league is sometimes so empty that we can’t find anyone to pvp! So we walk to the enemy’s keep, hit the door until it gets swords and wait for people to show up so we have someone to fight.

I also don’t know how I feel about rewarding kills on a server-score level for two reasons:
number one: it punishes high risk high reward wonky suicide missions and let’s be honest: those are usually the most fun
number two: this has the potential to create a toxic environment for people that are new to WvW, aren’t the best PvPers, or uplevels. Imagine people watch the score go down and start yelling in map chat asking which noob is wasting our precious server points today? I’m not gonna lie, I’d get upset watching the points go down because people are too stupid to take out the oil before they hit the door and then die like flies too (yes this happens, makes me sad to see, but at least I can just have a good laugh and roll my eyes with the current system)

(edited by Liz.1497)

in WvW

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

If your gonna remove swords then you might as well give people on low pop servers free transfers up or merge servers because you will most likely keep more people playing the game.
Maybe at prime time on a low pop server it would be ok but outside of that people shouldn’t even bother playing against a server with a larger population. Also what do you get for defending and upgrading (its nothing) low pop servers don’t have a k-train going most of the time for a player to recoup some of what the spend on upgrades and siege and you get nothing for sitting in a tower.

All I see this as is not one dev played on a low pop server and if they did maybe it was at prime time on reset nights.

in WvW

Posted by: Tiffany.8576

Tiffany.8576

When are the unachievable ‘achievements’ finally going to be addressed?

Tiff | [TW] Tempest Wolves | WvW Staff Tempest Guide
NA/EU sPvP Elementalist

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Please do not remove white swords. In fact you need to do the opposite, or at least alternative.

Remove white swords for the servers that are losing by a certain amount. Make it like an outmanned buff but based on score.

Remove white swords for taps. It takes a siege attack or a large number of attackers to generate white swords.

Edit. The more I think about it. What in the world made you think removing white swords was a good idea? What discussion led to that decision? None that I saw on the forum. Who could have possibly been for that?

And as for player kills. No, bad idea. Bad bad bad. You’re going to discourage fights.

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I’m not sure how PPK will benefit the group that’s outnumbered on a map really, it’ll just make things worse such as blobbing and ganking, which’ll mean more people avoiding certain fights rather than risk giving away easy points.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

Removing white swords from objectives to give defenders a stronger role in alerting their team as well as giving attackers more of a chance to get through having their siege disabled.

I am going to join the crowd here in saying that removing white contested swords would be a HUGE mistake. Attackers already have the advantage in attacking a tower/keep in that contested white swords don’t show up for 30 seconds. That is enough time for a zerg to use 3 or more rams/catapults to destroy or majorly weaken the tower. Lower tier servers do NOT have the manpower to stage a scout in each and every tower and keep. This will do nothing but give karma train zergs another advantage. Removing white swords would make it literally required to have a scout in each tower and keep AT ALL TIMES. Maybe Tier 1 servers could manage it…but other servers could not manage it.
Please do not remove white contested swords, I’m begging you here Anet. This would be a huge mistake. The 30 second delay on white swords showing up is enough as it is.

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Syndictive discussed this concept with our developer briefly, but I hope this was brought to the table:

Removing the ability to hard-rez fully-dead players while in combat, or putting a timer on WHEN you can rez fully-dead players. (IE, 2:00 after they die)

This thought arises from the issue that if my guild (a skill group) is fighting 20v50, we manage to kill a lot of players on our first pass, say 10. The next players push up into us, and make us kite back from the dead-state players. The players in the back of this massive group then rez the fully-dead players nullifying our work. This makes fights against double our numbers nearly impossible – they become simple attrition battles no matter our organization or skill level.

This change would empower skill groups and outnumbered servers during open-field and in-keep fighting without completely destroying numbers advantage.

This change I suggested, in addition to your new PPK system, could easily break down social barriers that exist in WvW currently between the fights/GvG guilds and the PPT focused players. The rift could essentially be non-existent if the kills are a substantial part of the score as well. The only worry that I have is that now PPT-focused groups and players will only run away from skill groups, because they would be afraid to hurt the server score.

Not just that. There is a bug with the revive mechanic at the moment that is allowing players to bypass the limit on the number of resurrectors.

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Removal of white swords? That’s going to be horrendous for low population servers. Seems like a change that is really not needed.

It will increase PvD scenarios as there will be defenders completely unaware that an objective is under siege. It’s completely unreasonable to think anyone is going to sit in a tower or keep for hours waiting to see if anyone is coming along for a fight. How very dull.

It’s also going to be detrimental for new and casual players that just want to hop into WvW and find some immediate objective related action.

Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Bugabuga.9721

Bugabuga.9721

Sigh
I think this “remove swords” thing came from devs only playing on high-population servers. When you have no manpower to have scouts everywhere not being able to see that something is attacked at all is going to be woooorse. Heck, this now will be “keep randomly flipped because two thieves hid there and pulled and soloed everything over 10 minutes” or “zerg with 5 catas quietly broke outer and inner and killed lord” thing :P

I wish disabler not following line of sight (as “just throw it inside the door, it’ll work”) problem would be addressed before anyone even thinks on changing how contest/under attack is displayed on the map. Heck, for outmanned cases swords should show up sooner than 30 seconds

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

It’s not only an objective oriented nuisance to take away white swords. White swords as always been used to know where there are people in the map that you could fight as a fighting guild, as a group of roamers or solo roaming. Removing that would affect negatively everyone in world vs world!!!

To be franc I think it is completely stupid to implement this.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: Slow Lightning.4592

Slow Lightning.4592

@ admins lending my voice to the ‘do not remove white swords’ camp… this would kill servers that don’t have the population to scout properly or who prefer a fight oriented game play to a siege/arrow cart everything in site style.

PPK is also a massive change and was one of the ideas discussed in the coverage thread so should be thought through in the context of that discussion.

in WvW

Posted by: Dei Veien.2456

Dei Veien.2456

GFoing to add a little something here, already a large zerg, if well co-ordinated has the opportunity to go around without being seen. Orange swords don;t pop up unless 20 or so people are in combat after all.
If you have a group of 50 people who are back away from a door and the white swords are removed not only do you not realize something is under attack but you have no accurate understanding of what kind of threat your keep is under. They could easily get threw to the keep lord and have the 50 man team melt the lord within seconds without anyone being able to respond.
These sort of sneak attacks do happen btw, I have seen it a lot where a zerg will come onto a map with full sups build a few omegas and start heading straight for garrison.
Normally with mid tier servers, if hb isn’t under serious threat there aren’t a lot of people running around there, a few roamers at most. With a sneaky enemy zerg and no white swords I can see the potential for a lot of keeps short of having a wp in them flipping very very quickly.

Order of Intoxication [PSY]

in WvW

Posted by: Avit.3165

Avit.3165

Suggestion to the Devs, you should do this Adopt-a-Dev once every /lets say/ 4 months for 1 week, so you can always be “UpDated” of what’s going on at WvW and what the problems are.Reading the forums its must , but its always better to see it on your own, also like many people say it here, join the low population servers, because they have different kind of problems.

in WvW

Posted by: jpersson.7368

jpersson.7368

Siege traps are not relevant for camps, will they still have swords?

I’m a roamer on a well-to-do EU server (Desolation), I’ve been playing for two other servers earlier, and… let me put it this way — do you mind expanding your thoughts on this even further?

Relax… nothing is under control

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s not just low tier servers that are going to have problems with removal of white swords. Even in T4 there are large periods of time when there aren’t enough people in a BL to have even one person in every tower and camp.

And even if there were, that’s not enough: you need responders who aren’t tied to their towers/camps otherwise it’d be too easy to split your attack to steal a tower (again, because no more white swords).

This is going to be a massive disaster… and is of course the result of the the adopt-a-dev devs all going to T1.

in WvW

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

In the wee hours we are lucky if we have 5 people on our BL. With the removal of the white swords 2 people can take a fully upgraded keep or a tower by planting a cata in an out of the way corner. A defender would have to check every wall and gate for damage.

Not very well thought through at all.

Theftwind (HoD)

in WvW

Posted by: Scryeless.1924

Scryeless.1924

Removing white swords should come with some balancing, such as removing cannon decay as well as making Bay, Hills, and Garri way points permanently accessible even if the locations are under attack. Maybe not these two items specifically but the removal of white swords seems like a poor idea for T2 and below. Maybe implement/remove different handicap items like this at different Tier levels.

SoS – Ele – Burn Me, Freeze Me, Blind Me, Pound Me — Wait…What?
Warrior – The New Burninator! Strongbad would be so proud!
Guardian – Burn for you, heal for me, block for me and uh…sorry Im all out of gifts.

in WvW

Posted by: Waikd.4632

Waikd.4632

Interesting changes! I believe these changes will mostly work for the better, but we’ll see how it ends up working out. As long as the changes are monitored and reverted in case there is a negative effect, there will be no harm done.

The points per kill sounds really interesting, I wonder how this is going to work? Is the active effect from bloodlust going to be changed to 1 point per kill rather than 1 point per stomp? Perhaps rewarding a server that has all 3 bloodlusts with 2 points per kill rather than just 1 would help incentivize playing in smaller groups to hold the bloodlusts?

Regarding the white swords, I think removing them provides a wonderful incentive to scout. From a tier 1 perspective: I don’t really understand the issues that many people seem to have with it. It would take just a few people to scout inside your most important objectives (e.g. spawn tower(s), keep). Large groups will still inadvertantly draw orange swords.
I belive it makes for a more active WvW environment, where you cannot sit back and rely on the enemies to knock on the door to let you know they are coming. Instead you will have people trailing after them, and scouting for their positions. It will make map awareness play a larger role too. E.g. if a group just took a camp from you, the tower nearest to that camp might be attacked soon, and someone should go check that out.

All in all I think these have the potential to be wonderful changes. I believe that as a community, rather than glossing over the massive upsides and focusing on the possibility of a negative, we should see these changes as what they are – improvements.

in WvW

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

As others have already said, this would be a disaster for low population periods in the lower tiers where there might be only a couple of people on who can’t possibly scout everything. Elsewhere, I’ve recommended:

• Defender Outnumbered = No Delay Before White Swords
  • Attacker Outnumbered = No White Swords.
  • No Outnumbered Buffs = White Swords with existing delay

This would allow ninja attacks against superior forces that have the numbers to scout but also help outnumbered servers defend their stuff from much larger forces.

The Outnumbered buff only applies to population on that map. The other three maps might be fully queued, for all the game knows. Certainly, it says nothing about overall server WvW population at any point in time.

Also, if you tie any substantive benefits to the Outnumbered buff, it just encourages elitist guild groups trying to harass all other players off the map, so they can get the benefits for themselves.

I disagree with any change to the white swords mechanic. Leave it as it is.

in WvW

Posted by: Bigsexy.8302

Bigsexy.8302

Hello!
John

Is this some kind of a joke? There are some servers(cough, germans) who build bunch of superior rams even for wooden towers. I can clearly see what this is going to lead to.
A keep with building wp or nearly t3 tower will be gone before we even realize because simply there was no alert, neither we can afford scouts in every tower.
Whose idea was that???
This is only encourages people to sit and sleep in towers and not go outside to fight.

(edited by Bigsexy.8302)

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I would like to adopt a dev to sit in our towers/keeps for hours to scout it out for us and see if its so much fun as they think it is. Would be probably the BIGGEST mistake they can do with WvW but hey whats new.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

This would be a mistake.

Seriously. As a defender, I don’t need a “stronger role”. The commanders already take me seriously. How about a few rewards for my role? Even I can only scout for so long before I want to go for a run too, but there is no one to take my place.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

This would be a mistake.

Seriously. As a defender, I don’t need a “stronger role”. The commanders already take me seriously. How about a few rewards for my role? Even I can only scout for so long before I want to go for a run too, but there is no one to take my place.

Exactly. I scout way to much and i dont mind it and i find my roll strong enough. If they really remove white swords what am i supposed to do, doing nothing but checking all gates and walls every ff – ing minute to see if theres probably an attack on it? Come on Anet scout stuff for yourself and see how EXCITING it is right now. And imagine how EXCITING it will be without a notification on the attacked structure.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Veeber.3192

Veeber.3192

Seems like anet wants WvW to be a mindless karma train like EotM is. What next, no visible contested timers, lower wall and gate health, defenders debuff.

in WvW

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

Removing white swords – this is the biggest mistake ever IMHO for WvW.
In Europe the only server with the numbers to scout 24/7 would be SFR – why not give them an even bigger advantage than they already have.
PPK? I guess this would be fine for US T1 or T2, but in fights of roughly even skill the larger zerg/blob will always have the advantage which will give benefit to the server with the greater coverage outside peak hours.
Are the Dev’s working from US server experience? If they are then their experience is totally flawed.

Perhaps you could tie these in to the “Outnumbered” buff – perhaps if you are “Outnumbered” you don’t pop white swords quite so quickly, if you are “Outnumbered” you don’t give away points for being killed?

One other thing – at the moment, the only person who can exert control over a piece of siege is the person who put down the original blueprint.
How many times does the commander throw down multiple rams, then once ramming starts you notice that most of the rammers aren’t even showing the “Iron Hide” icon?
Perhaps they should allow people with higher levels of mastery on a particular piece of siege to displace those with lower?

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I’m positive about this overall.

If there have to be changes:

• I think this could be tied into the “outmanned/outnumbered” buffs. If you are outmanned you get the white swords as normal.

OR

• it could be tied to the score: The higher the difference between your score & the lowest score, the longer the swords take to appear
Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG!

Omg who did you guys talk to?! This is all wrong!

The only right thing is changing siege disablers. Is this really all you got from 4 weeks with the WvW community?!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: Olterin Fire.5960

Olterin Fire.5960

I’ll just chime in here and say that completely removing white swords in all cases is a terrible idea – any server that does not have 24/7 coverage for a(ll) map(s) will be forced to spread their already scarce resources even thinner, in many cases meaning people won’t bother to defend at all. However, removing white swords, or at least delaying them by anywhere up to 2 minutes, when a server currently enjoying the “outnumbered” buff would have triggered them, is not that bad of an idea, I think. Conversely, outnumbered defenders should always have the luxury of white swords, perhaps even near-instant ones – although this last bit is debatable given how it’s feasible to generate arbitrarily outnumbered situations for defenders in the mid tiers by leaving just a few people behind to defend and go wreck havoc on another map in the meantime.

Points per kill … I’d rather this stayed as Points-per-Stomp, like Bloodlust. If that’s not an option, then it should at least be tied into the “outnumbered” buff – when outnumbered, you don’t give points for being killed, and/or get double points for kills. But really, stomps are better here, for the same reason why the Bloodlust buff doesn’t give points for “mere” kills but requires actually using a finisher on an opponent.

… That said, the amount of communication is much improved!

WIthout light, there can be no darkness. Without darkness, there can be no light.

Sword Of Justice – Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Regarding the white swords, From a tier 1 perspective: I don’t really understand the issues that many people seem to have with it.

Regarding the white swords, I don’t really understand the issues that many people seem to have with it.

From a tier 1 perspective.

That’s why you don’t understand.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I’ll just chime in here and say that completely removing white swords in all cases is a terrible idea – any server that does not have 24/7 coverage for a(ll) map(s) will be forced to spread their already scarce resources even thinner, in many cases meaning people won’t bother to defend at all. \

… which in and of itself isn’t such a bad thing. This change could turn a defendy-oriented server into an attack-minded berserkerfest!

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

I have concerns about this.

Right now worlds who have bad coverage (whatever the reason is) are already struggling with defence. This will even make it worse for them. I can’t really understand the point of this, since the main problem with scouting is the no-reward (unless some people in the community decide to pay the volunteering scouts but this is rare and it shouldn’t be like this!). Seriously, has any dev took the job of scouting objectives during the Tournament? Because if you have, you know this isn’t okay. If you haven’t, I don’t even know why you made this decision.
Another problem is that right now you can tell if an enemy objective is tagged only from the white swords, since the defence event can only be seen by those who own the objective.

My idea: make NPCs a bit more useful for defending. How?
We have NPCs at every objective. Veteran Scouts are present everywhere and Veteran Archers are present at walled objectives. My solution would be this: if you remove the white swords, make these two types of guards act like the Sentry Turrets in EotM. They can mark enemies in their aggro range (Archers have a larger range). When they die, they stop marking the enemies. There were discussions earlier about making NPCs help defend. This doesn’t really require much coding like making them use siege (which I bet is not an easy task) and it still falls into the “NPCs helping to defend” category. This way Veteran Scouts (and of course Archers) would live up to their names.

in WvW

Posted by: WingzofIsis.4809

WingzofIsis.4809

Will there be an adopt a Dev for Pve?

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

• Defender Outnumbered = No Delay Before White Swords
  • Attacker Outnumbered = No White Swords.
  • No Outnumbered Buffs = White Swords with existing delay

This would allow ninja attacks against superior forces that have the numbers to scout but also help outnumbered servers defend their stuff from much larger forces.

It would also allow superior forces to coordinate to have minimal forces go in and figure out the outnumber buff. Then, after making sure they keep outnumbered, knock down the walls, open all the gates or whatever, before calling in the horde to take everything quickly without swords popping until the very last second. Imagine 5 players using catas on 5 different targets. Right as they knock down the wall to inner bay, hills and 3 towers they call in the zerg. The zerg splits into 5 groups and they take all five targets within seconds. I can only imagine seeing 2 keeps and 3 towers all changing color simultaneously.

The swords idea(not yours specifically) altogether is bad, very bad.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Posted by: TheAndoman.9317

TheAndoman.9317

There were some really good ideas in this thread for tweaks. If you remove the white swords, please add a trick or trap that can compensate, or add a defensive upgrade that will ping a warning when gates at 50% or so.
Possibly tweak the NPC defenders to offer a bit more resistance to blobs.
Make better use of racial story elements from pve. Asura are technological geniuses (they’ll even tell you that), so why not have Asuran Laser Defense Penetration Devices (remotely controlled laser rams), or Charr Gate Destroyers (steam powered gate chain saws – you build them and then feed them fire wood like the booster bonfires). More mobile siege (Charr tanks, Norn dolyak-mounted turrets).
How about more WvW mastery skills? Add a step to build mastery that increases the defense rating of siege (like the Engineer trait for turrets).
Please get rid of rallying off of wildlife, unless that creature is what downed you.
Just some additional thoughts.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawntree.7246

Dawntree.7246

White sword (cross post from the related topic in the section)

Being mainly a roamer (alone or with 2/3 people max usually in enemy BL) I do like the advantage I would get, but I don’t like helping big blobs killing my keeps easily on the other side.

If I understand correctly, white sword are an effect of “defend xxxx” event (the one with the 3 minutes timer)

How about use event scaling as a way to delay the sword?

Example
1 attacker -> event will never trigger, no sword, could be a way to reduce troll tags. People able to solo towers or keep are rewarded with some extra stealth.
2 -5 attackers -> event (or just swords) will trigger in 1 minute
6-10 -> 30 seconds
11-20 -> 15 seconds
Up tp 30 -> 10 seconds
More than 30 -> 5 seconds

This will also be an incentive for people to form small groups instead of constantly blobbing.

PPK

PPK should be a part of the score, but not the main part, like in pvp killing someone gives us the same amount of points as holding a node for 10 seconds. Important but not that important.

If we are going to “test” this, please clearly show us how much is that part of the score.

Emanuel Dawntree – Nord Guardian of [TasH] – 9×80
Whiteside Ridge

(edited by Dawntree.7246)

in WvW

Posted by: KaiDarius.8723

KaiDarius.8723

Hello!

The adopted devs got together again earlier this week for a lunch meeting to bring feedback from their guilds and discuss their observations. The team has already begun addressing some of the feedback the devs brought back as well as some of the issues that you have brought up on our forums.

Coming with the build next week, build sites for rams will be trimmed down in size. This is to reduce the visual clutter with build sites, since rams are often built very close to each other, and make it easier to tell a ram apart from other siege when you are building it. There are also changes coming later to label the build interacts with what you are building. So you should see “Build Ram”, “Build Catapult” etc. instead of just “Build”. These were suggestions taken from the discussion on siege trolls.

We are going to make a balance pass on Siege Disablers. This was one of the most common pieces of feedback both from our adopted devs and from the forums. We really believe that Siege Disablers were a great addition to the game. They gave defenders a better chance of holding off attackers, they created new strategies and they created some fun fights outside of objectives by buying some time. But we agree that they need to be adjusted. We will be looking at things like radius, cooldowns and duration of the effect.

There were a handful of other tweaks brought up in our discussions that we are planning. These include reducing the number of people who can rally off of a kill. Removing white swords from objectives to give defenders a stronger role in alerting their team as well as giving attackers more of a chance to get through having their siege disabled. We are also going to test out awarding points per kill. PPK was part of the scoring discussion and something we wanted to try. We will be looking for your feedback on that change after it goes live.

Some bigger issues are factoring into longer term work. For example, we have been discussing what we have learned from our conversations on the forums as well as the feedback our adopted devs brought back from their guilds on the topics of population imbalance and scoring. These are bigger changes and are factoring into longer term solutions that the team is working on.

The team has a lot to chew on but some areas that I’d like to discuss more with the community in the near future are rewards and supporting some vital roles like scouting and defending. I’ll kick off some discussions on these areas in the next couple of weeks.

I was happy to hear from the devs that they would all love to do this again and felt it was a very fun and valuable way to spend their free time. Many of them have made some great new friends and they all felt like this was a great way to really connect with the community by playing side by side with new faces and getting new perspectives on Guild Wars 2.

Thanks again to everyone who signed up for or hosted a dev! We had a great time!

John

Removing white swords would be a terrible idea, especially for lower tiers who already have it bad enough, you put your devs in blob servers, which aren’t the problem. GG anet.

Ehmry Bay Strong
Ele Fanatic

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

white swords…

please dont make it harder to defend objectives because we just wont bother if you do. it is harder to defend something when you need to have a person there to know about an attack. only high tiers have resources to waste on sitting around doing nothing. and it isnt fun to sit around in a tower waiting for an attack. almost no one likes to just sit around.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

I have a question – Why can’t Tower/Keep workers carry out repairs using the supply in store?

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

I like white sword removal , but it will hurt the game for a lot of low pop servers. So maybe wait on that . Fix population issues first.

I like ppk, but it will hurt casual players in wvw, thus hurting long term health of the game. So test it in eotm first.

in WvW

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Hello!

The adopted devs got together again earlier this week for a lunch meeting to bring feedback from their guilds and discuss their observations. The team has already begun addressing some of the feedback the devs brought back as well as some of the issues that you have brought up on our forums.

here’s some feedback on this

Coming with the build next week, build sites for rams will be trimmed down in size. This is to reduce the visual clutter with build sites, since rams are often built very close to each other, and make it easier to tell a ram apart from other siege when you are building it. There are also changes coming later to label the build interacts with what you are building. So you should see “Build Ram”, “Build Catapult” etc. instead of just “Build”. These were suggestions taken from the discussion on siege trolls.

Good change, in fact the one I’m most positive about. I can’t comment about siege disabler changes cause I’m not sure what you’re going to do yet, just don’t smiter’s boon them.

There were a handful of other tweaks brought up in our discussions that we are planning. These include reducing the number of people who can rally off of a kill.

As an elementalist, this is worrisome. Rallying is important to us as #1, we’re a vulnerable target, we get downed if there is any focus on us at all, that’s just going to happen. We can blow through our ways to avoid damage in about 5s, after that we’re exhausted and just going to get hit that’s end of story. We have paper armor and low health unless you gear specifically to boost those, and if you do, you have next to no ranged pressure. “Eles, necros, suppress that parapet” .. that doesn’t work with 2k damage meteor shower ticks because you have all of about 10% crit chance. So if you want some damage, you’re going to have at most, about 15-16k health, that’s with 10-20 points in water, and vit food, and a little bit of gear to help boost your health while still keeping over 30% crit and 200% crit damage so you can provide ranged pressure.
#2, we aoe, so if we do get downed after we aoe’ed a lot of people, there’s a decent chance we may rally if some people we aoe’d die. That balances out how squishy we are.

If there’s less rallying, that means more running back from waypoints, that means less fun playing ele in wvw, that means eles may just say screw it and go to a class that can have their cake and eat it too, like warrior or necro that even in full berserker gear have 20k+ health. Warriors build tanky as a part of a hammer train, they’re not expected to suppress or bomb areas, so they don’t really have to worry about damage.

I don’t like it, it’s manageable on large population servers, but on low population servers they just don’t have the spare bodies to sentry every tower, so they’ll just flip with no warning. Even on large servers, it forces more need to sentry, and sentry is the most boring, unrewarding, thankless job in wvw. While you’re on teamspeak or mumble hearing about all these battles you’re missing out on, and all the loot bags and champ bags from towers your team is taking, all the wxp you’re missing out on.. and all you get to do for an hour is tick siege. If you only have a few hours a day to play and want to WvW, you don’t want to spend 1 hour of your time ticking siege.

We are also going to test out awarding points per kill. PPK was part of the scoring discussion and something we wanted to try. We will be looking for your feedback on that change after it goes live.

Terrible idea for 2 reasons. #1 it undermines the core gameplay of WvW which is taking objectives and defending them for the tick. It’ll encourage spawnpoint camping
#2, we already have bloodlust, which encourages using finishers rather than just caking the guy in aoes to finish them off. Encouraging a finisher gives the downed a chance to rally, or a chance for their team to throw a bunch of aoes on their downed to save them. If you get points for just unloading on the downed instead of needing to use a finisher, there’s next to no chance of rally.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in WvW

Posted by: vifesprit.3514

vifesprit.3514

I agree with everything that has been said.

If you are part of a large guild WvW on a high population server T1, you get the benefits provided by the changes. For others, go play EOTM = – (

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Will there be an adopt a Dev for Pve?

“why are we not always about me”

-.- can you not?

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Remove the white swords from sPvP and see how well it goes over there. SMH.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Alinora Targew.1679

Alinora Targew.1679

Bad idea…

If you want people to defend give better rewards.

Make us “help” upgrading the tower/keep that will make us stay there longer or something that we wont feel bored waiting hours looking at the grass (i do love the view but…)

you want to liven up the wvw?

get the quaggens back..

or try to work on new maps that are not the same
(I know that’s not going to happen but let a girl dream :P)

in WvW

Posted by: foxy tigeress.6854

foxy tigeress.6854

With the number of ballistas that have been thrown on my dead body, I expect someone to send a video of it!

Sorry we shame sieged you so much!! We had a blast doing it though.. hope you had fun with it too! If you do not have any video of it yet I am sure one of us might have some laying around.

Foxy
[IX] The Nînth Legion