World Linking 8/26/2016

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Thea Cherry.6327

Thea Cherry.6327

Hm guess we need to swear more so that a moderator comes by. ^^

Srsly, they don’t really care about us WvW players, that’s quite obvious.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

kitten

Attachments:

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Thea Cherry.6327

kitten

Are you kitten with me?

Attachments:

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

kitten

Aw, that’s a cute little one. I want to cuddle it.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

I agree that arenanet probably had the tiers in mind when balancing out the matchups in NA. BUT they made it also in a way that tier 4 and tier 3 are comparably strong and tier 1 and tier 2 are similarly strong. When you make matchups you cannot adjust for everything (it just takes too many small servers to be able to compete with blackgate) and imho in NA they made a gap between t2 and t3 that wasn’t meant to be passed.

The problem is, that population and activity in wvw isn’t stable. DB lost a lot of people and activity, YB gained a lot of people and activity this loss/gain is more than the difference between the two groups. This is something arenanet couldn’t predict when making the linkings. So the linkings were very balanced and fair, I would say as good as you are able to make them.

But again: the matchmaking system isn’t fast enough with adapting to changes, although it should be and there is too much randomness included. Europe still has the problem with the languages, but I still don’t understand why worlds cannot be linked because of language differences. We have lots of koreans and spanish-speaking people on NA as well.

Matchmaking suggestion: Every person on a server has a record of “participation” (if someone transfers it is the record that person has on the previous server) that you could use to calculate the total participation of all players on a server. Adjust this participation for when this participation is done (so off-hours or prime-time, because off-time participation is worth more as other servers are unlikely to match it) and you have a predictor for how well a server can and will perform and make matchups depending on that. Not all problems would be solved by that, because not all problems are solvable, but it would be better than Glicko system.

(edited by Rink.6108)

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

People who transfers should get its wvw rank at zero, they should start fresh in that server.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Jana.6831

People who transfers should get its wvw rank at zero, they should start fresh in that server.

The problem right now (on at least EU) isn’t transfers, it’s mainly anet who just gave “free transfers” to hundreds by merging servers in a way that created monsterblob-servers, because they think that servers on EU couldn’t compete against each other anyway, so they created an artificial ranking.

I just created a new account – it’s no real punishment to start at wvw rank 0.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Here’s what they should do…make it so transferring has a 3 month cooldown. Server links every 2 months. Congrats, you can change servers, but you’ll be stuck there for a while after they relink.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Here’s what they should do…make it so transferring has a 3 month cooldown. Server links every 2 months. Congrats, you can change servers, but you’ll be stuck there for a while after they relink.

So basicly, force them to be in a place they maybe dont want to be in for half a link.
Yes, that will surely make them love WvW and not make them toxic at all.

We’re in a rather silly situation when Anet creates a problem we the players saw coming a mile away when links was announced, but then players propose that the solution is to punish other players for it.

We could propose fixing the problem Anet created instead, but what the kitten do I know.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

RyuDragnier.9476

So basicly, force them to be in a place they maybe dont want to be in for half a link.
Yes, that will surely make them love WvW and not make them toxic at all.

We’re in a rather silly situation when Anet creates a problem we the players saw coming a mile away when links was announced, but then players propose that the solution is to punish other players for it.

We could propose fixing the problem Anet created instead, but what the kitten do I know.

I mean, it’s not like it’s the players choice to switch servers, we all know Anet forces server switches and the players have no control over it… /sarcasm

This is a fix to punish the servers that purposefully have guilds move to their linked server so their main server stays open and not full like they should be. And don’t say they don’t, there’s a kitten good reason why a server currently in NA T1 is not full and yet 2 servers in T2, one of which is falling down to T3, are declared full. Besides, who do you know in WvW who switches servers multiple times in the course of 3 months? Only those gaming the current server linking.

[hS]

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

This is a fix to punish the servers that purposefully have guilds move to their linked server so their main server stays open and not full like they should be. And don’t say they don’t, there’s a kitten good reason why a server currently in NA T1 is not full and yet 2 servers in T2, one of which is falling down to T3, are declared full. Besides, who do you know in WvW who switches servers multiple times in the course of 3 months? Only those gaming the current server linking.

2 servers in T1 are not full, the system is riven with exploits and servers who choose not to purposefully exploit get punished. Its absurd. At this point they should just do server merges and leave it at that.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

You don’t know why the servers are not full… there are in fact reasons for 1 of those servers to be open. Cause and effect… you only see the effect if your not directly involved.

Mags will lock up soon I’m sure of it.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

morrolan.9608

You don’t know why the servers are not full… there are in fact reasons for 1 of those servers to be open. Cause and effect… you only see the effect if your not directly involved.

Mags will lock up soon I’m sure of it.

You’re being naive, it is easy to earn the gold to transfer around low ranked servers every 2 months. Why wouldn’t they do it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

You’re being naive, it is easy to earn the gold to transfer around low ranked servers every 2 months. Why wouldn’t they do it.

Why should they do it? Do you think they get the gold back if they transfer to another server?

In my opinion transfers are not the problem. If people want to pay for changing servers, let them. It is a lot better than forcing them to stay in a place they don’t want to be/play in. Of course transfers can lead to imbalances as well, but other things like people not playing (hybernating servers) do as well. So if the matchmaking reacts fast enough on them, then there is no big problem. But the matchmaking system needs to react faster and work better for balanced matchups.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Why should they do it?

To ensure their server remains open and has a linked server.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

RyuDragnier.9476

Why should they do it?

To ensure their server remains open and has a linked server.

This. You’d be surprised how much serious business WvW is for some…they’ll do anything to win, even though you get nothing for winning.

[hS]

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Anet originally had the host servers artificially marked as Full and there were quite a lot of complaints about this on this forum. ¯\(?)

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: MaLeVoLenT.8129

MaLeVoLenT.8129

2 servers in T1 are not full, the system is riven with exploits and servers who choose not to purposefully exploit get punished. Its absurd. At this point they should just do server merges and leave it at that.

Although I agree with server merges, there are more negatives than positives when you transfer a guild to a linked server and not your home server to gain coverage.

The biggest negative comes from the fact, if you succeed and gain more coverage through your linked server, you have a high chance of being reevaluated in 2 months and losing those said guilds. The guilds then have a high chance of going to another server because it’s hard to get back to the original host. In fact, guilds literally have been split in half and forced to move to be whole again.

Those guilds that are moving around like that, are being forced to move around till they find a healthy community in which they all reside on and a lot are quitting the game. They don’t want to continually pay money every 2 months to find a community. The communities don’t want to lose someone they want to play with and everyone wants to fight good competition.

Most of everyone applies old WvW meta and dynamics to this “live beta” and that’s the problem. Servers that “stack” with their linked pair, are the servers with the hi risk loss of player base come 2 month cycle every time. As this is happening, the players that move from the paired server all choose (based off preference) their next destination. 2 servers in “T1” not being full is irrelevant when those 2 servers could be in “T2” next week. Good fights last week in Tier 1 FA.

Any server or community that sees this as a benefit is fooling themselves. The server being punished is the server relying on the paired server for stability when the objective is overall balance.

~The Mad Court~ [OnS]Onslaught GM
Malevolent Omen -Guardian
Mad King Mal -Rev

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Anet originally had the host servers artificially marked as Full and there were quite a lot of complaints about this on this forum. ¯\(?)

And rightly so. Imagine if Gunnar’s Hold were marked as full now – it’s a ridiculous notion.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

Thanks Anet for another week of complete boredom, deserted borderlands,camped spawns and constant outnumbered buff.

I´m curious if you can top that in todays reset and bring an even more kittened matchup on the table. I believe in you……….

Attachments:

(edited by mordran.4750)

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Well apparently according to anets figures JQ has a higher pop than Maguuma so I think its fair to say the way they calculate players numbers is completely kittened up.

Of course this also shows that anet do not come onto most servers to actually get 1st hand experience of how the servers are going.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Thanks Anet for another week of complete boredom, deserted borderlands,camped spawns and constant outnumbered buff.

I´m curious if you can top that in todays reset and bring an even more kittened matchup on the table. I believe in you……….

Next week: FSP vs BB vs Kodash.

You know it. Its gonna be glorious.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Thea Cherry.6327

Next week: FSP vs BB vs Kodash.

You know it. Its gonna be glorious.

I bet its gonna be Kodash – FSP – Vizu. ANet just hates us.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Gunner Morton.8340

Gunner Morton.8340

ArenaNet killed Gunnars Hold server with this linking, GG devs.

Will never purchase gems again just to show my disgust with the situation.

I used to play WvW on Gunnar’s Hold, then I took a flawed serverlink to the knee.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I guess most people who moved to Vabbi when it was linked with Deso are gone, unsurprisingly.

People rarely stay on their linked servers, after they change links, I doubt that would change if it was every month, rather than two.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Jana.6831

My bet is on Piken, sorry FSP (PS has got Jayne).
Also, after this matchup, I’d really love to hear what the devs are planning for the future.
That is without snark, btw.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

I am on FSP and even my bet is on Piken. 2 links overstacking us my kitten , lol.

We where running on Piken border with a whooping 25 man zerg on average (outmanned for 10 minutes on reset). Best moment of the evening was when defending bay against Piken – they where meeting us outside south inner with at least 30 people yet there where swords inside inner as another even bigger group was killing the lord. Trying to get back after death to fight some more? 50+ BB on the south outer gate as Piken capped the keep made that difficult.

But resets not to mention weekends is always zergy I suppose.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Jana.6831

I am on FSP and even my bet is on Piken. 2 links overstacking us my kitten , lol.

Yeah well, that’s when the skill comes in and piken is probably a bit more skilled.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Yeah well, that’s when the skill comes in and piken is probably a bit more skilled.

Skill does come naturally when you just run straight forward pushing 1 repeatedly wiht a zerg twice the size. But true, the veteran core of FSP has been considerably smaller than Piken for a long, long time. Links did little to improve that (and much of that core moving to Piken earlier this year didnt help either).

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Also, after this matchup, I’d really love to hear what the devs are planning for the future.

Bet on Piken
… Wuh?

Please don’t say you mean bandwagon.

*cries.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Jana.6831

Bet on Piken
… Wuh?

Please don’t say you mean bandwagon.

*cries.

No, I bet you guys win that MU – I’m on Gandara, you guys are safe from me, while Gandara has won a rallybot.

ETA: And maybe next month I will be somewhere else – I could pay NA a visit again.

(edited by Jana.6831)

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think there a major problem with world linking when you have a T1 world linked with lower pop then a t2 / t3 that is linked. In some way ppl being able to bandwagon after a linking set up messes up the system.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Napo.1230

Napo.1230

Every time I have an opinion on this I seem to get a message telling me I’ve been naughty and can’t comment for a few days.
But seriously why is anet so quiet on this issue, my dog can understand this doesn’t work.
9 pages in but it’s business as usual nothing to see here move along.
It’s almost like they want this game mode to disappear, every friend I had in wvw has stopped it seems every week we lose a guild.
Just man up admit it was a mistake and try again if you want to save it, other wise keep your head in the sand.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Prepare to be underwhelmed.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Two months to relink, is too long at this rate, but your not going to stop that revolving door of transfers once they relink, unless there’s tighter. There isn’t the population left to spread out as there used to be, some servers should be probably be merged, it would work out better.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

But seriously why is anet so quiet on this issue, my dog can understand this doesn’t work.

They don´t understand the issue because they don´t play WvW and therefore have no clue how it feels and second WvW for them is another form of PvE, so they don´t give a kitten about competitiveness.

They have created extremely predictable matchups by matching up single servers with linked ones and they are refusing to link some servers with the ridiculous excuse that they do not want to mix national with international servers. Somehow they seem to think that we don´t speak english….. , what an ignorant attitude. At the moment they simply destroy some national servers with this tactic. Why should people go out and fight if it is clear from the start of the matchup that you can´t win because you will never have the amount of people your enemy from the linked server has, it´s simply pointless.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: EKAN.4051

EKAN.4051

“oh my T1 server is dead because it can’t win a matchup”

Pu-lease…

I dont want to be on dead servers, I want to play on servers that have large zergs and queues.
I transfer where the activity is and not where Anets weird idea of server balance is. Anet should just merge all servers into 3 or 6 already instead of this useless linking.

Umm…if it’s T1, it’s not a dead server. It has to be T3 or lower to be considered dead nowadays. :/

It was T1 before the relink, it feels just as dead as SFR now which I left before. Now after relink it feels like dead SFR and people + guilds transfer away in droves.

SFR lost good comanders and whatever, dunno realy exactly what happend, then for awhile went bad in the matches. For a few months it went better again, but not for long. Now after that merge no wins, and seams like those who was left and played wvw are gone. 13th place now. 1800 gems for a transfer becouse I wanted to play with a server wit hreputaion and big zergs. Think it was over a year and a half I did transfer from FSP (lol). Ohwell…….

“Death is just another path”

(edited by EKAN.4051)

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: calcium.5942

calcium.5942

i have 11 friends who transferred to vabbi when it used to be linked with deso , because
they couldnt transfer to deso because it was full … they ofc used GEMS .. now they are
left alone in vabbi and cant play with us in deso .. * claps * goodjob .

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

i have 11 friends who transferred to vabbi when it used to be linked with deso , because
they couldnt transfer to deso because it was full … they ofc used GEMS .. now they are
left alone in vabbi and cant play with us in deso .. * claps * goodjob .

They knew what they where doing. Just like we knew this was going to be a major issue before the link system even went live as it was more obvious than a horde of elephants in your backyard.

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Problem is. What is a ‘good match up?’ I’d like to hear it from ANET, and I guess you too. Can’t really claim to have that goal if there isn’t a definition for it really. I can only assume it means even competition but even that’s vague.

TBH, you will never get a good match up for anything that last longer than 2 hours (e.g. we’d have to abandon 24/7 persistence). That’s if you want things mildly competitive past a gauge of who plays longer like the current WvW.

My definition that leads to good Match-Ups…would have us opening restaurants.

Why not treat each server like a restaurant?

Players are both Owner & a Customer of restaurants.

Really good restaurants naturally attract a lot of customers.

Allow owners & customers to visit any restaurant using World Guesting.

In this solution…players don’t Guest to other Server’s Home BL to defend it.

Players Guest to their Customer’s restaurant to wreck it.

Players can only defend the restaurant that they Own.

1. Use World Guesting & “tailor” it for WvW to let players pick their own match-ups, but keep track of their server fight choices…then weekly limit players on how many & which servers that they can fight on. Player’s choices then get reset every week to keep things fresh.
  2. Give each World Server a single Home map to defend…then allow players to visit any Enemy World Server BL map to fight on…within their weekly limits. The number of maps that a single World Server has to defend can later be increased/decreased to accommodate player capacity demands.

Reserve seating for Owners, Customers, and ANet (Health Department).

45% = Owner Seating
45% = Customer Seating
10% = ANet Seating

Owners & Customers are allowed to visit any restaurant, but will need to wait if they expect to get a table at a #1 Ranked Restaurant.

Let Owners & Customers figure out for themselves if they want to wait or visit another restaurant if tables (maps) are full.

The solution is practical & it already works in the real world when you go out for dinner.

Yours truly,
Diku

For a Better Long Term Solution to WvW – Try a Google Search for – wvg world vs globes

1.) I really like this. This would def take some time and dedication for ANet to work this system out, but its fesable

2.) kitten you , I am hungry now

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

@Dayra.7405

Love that old video, and it does sum up WvW pretty perfectly.

Now if that is all that 90% of the population want, blobbing over opposition effortlessly, then the current WvW structure doesn’t even encourage that unless you merge everything into 3 servers, 1 of which has 90% of population. And then what cycling around so random players are the 5% on each of the other servers ?

That sounds so utterly boring for anyone interested in something resembling fair fights or competition. And once the more “hardcore” players leave because of that, you’re left with only fairweathers to fill those 10% ? Then you have 90% vs 0% and 0%. Doubt they would find that much fun.

Keep wondering if they should adopt something closer to Aion’s system, of having 1vs1vsAI instead of the 1vs1vs1 server structure we have now. At least the ones that just want to karma train can run over the enemy AI instead or when the other side isn’t showing up.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

World Linking 8/26/2016

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

@Dayra.7405

Love that old video, and it does sum up WvW pretty perfectly.

Thanks to sminkiottone.6972 for this discovery 2 years ago, here the link again for those who don’t know it
“WvW – always the best gaming experience for the majority of our players”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKgkYxWoZ-M

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!