WvW Lag March 2015

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

GW2 runs on outdated NCSoft servers which is shared with all their other MMOs.

The lag is here to stay no matter how much they reduce the cap for WvW or optimize the netcode because the bottleneck is the hardware.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Kasteros.9847

Kasteros.9847

How long till cap will be released? Yesterday lot of guilds cancelled raids cos of ridiculous queues, also only 2 – 25 man guilds could get to 1 map.

[One][SiOn][dF]
16.03.15 We remember! R.I.P. MT
Shocking interview with Anet WvW Dev

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: sander.5830

sander.5830

That went really well. Tiny bit of spell lag. Now I’m dead and people are dancing on my anet corpse.

Does this seem familiar?

Attachments:

Mesmer/Engineer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian/Warrior/Necromancer/Ranger
Order Of Intoxication [Psy] Leader

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Rainshadow.4926

Rainshadow.4926

Stephen please join us on the Blackgate borderland map during NA prime (around 8pm EST) and we can show you what a 3 way garrison fight does for our skill lag. All three servers would be more than happy to demonstrate for you. The green map has consistently been the worst as far as lag for a while now.

Rainshadow
Blackgate
Tempest Wolves[TW]

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: this is wrekks.7602

this is wrekks.7602

I would like to say thank you to Stephen. I know that people on the interwebs are dirtbags and that the GW2 community is pretty much full of trolls and people acting horribly. But communication>no communication every day of the week. And I think it makes us respect Anet more and we are more apt to interact with Devs in more positive and helpful ways while also tying the devs to the community tighter so a real relationship can actually form that would be helpful to everyone involved in the game, players and devs.

People that know me know that I am pretty much the first person to be negative about this game and how it is going, but this gives me hope that maybe anet will see the mostly positive aspect of communicating to your playerbase.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

Yeah, Stephen is amazing. Devs giving WvW serious attention and letting us all know he’s doing it. Is this my birthday?

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

That went really well. Tiny bit of spell lag. Now I’m dead and people are dancing on my anet corpse.

Does this seem familiar?

So there is a dev in the game finally and you bunch of nitwits decided to kill him and dance on his body? Genius….

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I think it’s all in good fun, except maybe all should agree to let him alone so he can test the lag. It’s hard to see if you are dead!

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Does this seem familiar?

So there is a dev in the game finally and you bunch of nitwits decided to kill him and dance on his body? Genius….

Well yeah, it’s extra data being sent to his client which in turn will increase his lag whenever it occurs. As he said, he didnt get lag when he was at spawn even though everyone else was; he then joined the zerg and he got the lag.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: sander.5830

sander.5830

Does this seem familiar?

Yeah and it was even more fun when 7/8 ish ppl showed up to safe him after the screen shot and they ended up dead as well.

Mesmer/Engineer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian/Warrior/Necromancer/Ranger
Order Of Intoxication [Psy] Leader

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

aspirine.6852

Does this seem familiar?

Yeah and it was even more fun when 7/8 ish ppl showed up to safe him after the screen shot and they ended up dead as well.

Please tell me you are on vizunah and not on GH…. pretty please..

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: blim.6320

blim.6320

Why on earth don’t they have a god mode for the moderators already when the game has been out how long? says alot about the situation!

And why a director who doesn’t even make money from the business they are meant to direct. Hence the name, so why does he even have control over the servers!

Something smell fishy here!?!

I’m feeling a bit misled.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

aspirine.6852

Why on earth don’t they have a god mode for the moderators already when the game has been out how long? says alot about the situation!

And why a director who doesn’t even make money from the business they are meant to direct. Hence the name, so why does he even have control over the servers!

They can make themselves friendly, like an npc so no-one can attack them. But he probably wanted to experience the skill lag so he decided to fight perhaps? Just a guess.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I… I’m not sure what to say. First of all, he’s not a moderator or a GM. And the GMs do have “god mode” including lots of other nifty tools as detailed here. Second of all, he’s a technical director, and I’m going to assume you have no idea what that is by the relative bizarreness of your post. Tech directors lead the programming/engineering teams, essentially the top of the food chain in the tech sector of game development. If there’s anyone that should have control over the servers, it’s the tech director.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

No one suggested that they didn’t. Seems to me you are purely jumping to conclusion, for no good reason, and with out all of the information.

Perhaps using them would alter the experience needed, to actually experience the actual issues or run the test he was running, in order to get the same effect that the average player does

I do know GM Proheals stated in a recent post that they had changed the GM tools and that he was in the process of familiarizing himself with them and teaching the others how to use them. So it is possible he is not familiar with them, as he is not in need of them as a tech guy as much as a GW would be.

(I see Ark Bladesteele beat me to it on a similar explanation)

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

they have GM accounts but theres all kinds of red tape that would prolly both stop him from using skills and take him a few days to wade through just to set up an account

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Slow Lightning.4592

Slow Lightning.4592

Hi Stephen,

Thanks a lot for taking time to looking at this issue. Just checking what changes you have made to the map cap though. My server (Piken) rarely has map queues at prime time apart from EB but tonight all our maps are full with big queues and a lot of the guilds/players cant get in. The various communities are ‘geared’ up at certain population levels so would like to think this reduced map cap is very temporary while an actual solution is found?

thanks a lot

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Ins.7139

Ins.7139

Thanks for trying to root cause and resolve this issue however … can we please have the default map cap for population restored between your tests etc. Better to play WvW with lag than not at all because of Q’s

[PT] Ins For Da Waaagh
www.twitch.tv/ins_for_da_wagh
PuG Commander, blobbing it up since 2012!

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: vicar.7085

vicar.7085

Agreed, Piken never had queues, now there are 20 on every BL, so Guilds cannot get into the Bl’s the way they used to, so very little of ‘Guild Wars’ can happen now. People would rather play with some lag than ot play at all

VcY Human Resources (Stabability Dept)
Office 317, 3rd Floor Corporation Street

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Pls keep the low queues! Its much more fun playing now with less zerglings on the maps.
Thank you for trying to fix the issues + communicate with us.
As for ppl jumping on your poor corpse. I think its in great fun. They will of course enjoy it a lot if you make them hostile to all 3 servers.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

blim.6320

From my understanding of the business world a director makes decisions but doesn’t get their hands durty.

So basically he should be telling the guys at the top what to do not doing it him self.

Thats all I’m saying, your the ones taking it out of hand. Maybe you see a problem with the situation too but don’t want to admit it so you attack me

One thing that does strike me a strange is how he thinks the ingame ping reading of 0 means anything at all. It’s not even directly linked to the lag just a tool on the side malfunctioning like a broken sensor.

(edited by blim.6320)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: this is wrekks.7602

this is wrekks.7602

Uhhhhhhhhhh.

He was just pointing out that you were wrong and are still wrong.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

blim.6320

Wrong about a director doing the work of the a GM. A director who by law isn’t allowed to profit from his position financially.

Believe me, in the business world when a director has to stand in. It’s not a good thing for the guys at the top who’s original decisions landed the company in the situation in the first place!

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

From my understanding of the business world a director makes decisions but doesn’t get their hands durty.

So basically he should be telling the guys at the top what to do not doing it him self.

Thats all I’m saying, your the ones taking it out of hand. Maybe you see a problem with the situation too but don’t want to admit it so you attack me

One thing that does strike me a strange is how he thinks the ingame ping reading of 0 means anything at all. It’s not even directly linked to the lag just a tool on the side malfunctioning like a broken sensor.

If I was putting myself in his shoes, it would be something I’d notice that would concern me (it’s a bug!). Whether or not it’s linked to what’s causing the latency issues is irrelevant, but I’d consider it a breadcrumb that might be worth following and something I’d want to look into fixing. It also can’t be treated like a “broken sensor” because it’s not mechanical in nature; it doesn’t wear out, it’s only the code that can be considered broken in some way and that warrants a look.

Here’s the thing. I work in the games industry, and I was trying to correct your misconceptions of how things work, which hardly qualifies as an attack. Technical directors are every bit in the trenches as any other programmer, in fact sometimes moreso because they are the ones who define the guidelines and standards for the rest of the tech teams. If there is something wrong enough for the CTO or tech lead to look into it, you should consider it a good sign that they are taking this really seriously.

I’m not going to spend a page-long post trying to explain how the hierarchy of game development works, so just take my word for it that you don’t really know what you’re talking about.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

blim.6320

I’m not saying your wrong, you missed the point. Read my last post.

Try not to rage post you might understand what I’m talking about from within your bubble.

(edited by blim.6320)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Cri Up.9638

Cri Up.9638

Agree… this map cap seriously needs to be raised again, its even worse than having the lag – rather than playing and lagging a bit, now people simply cannot play at all (and still get lag anyway)

(Been stuck in a 20 man queue for almost 1 hour and a half and I’m only queue position #5)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Stephen ClarkeWillson

Previous

Stephen ClarkeWillson

ArenaNet Studio Technical Director

Next

Hi all. “Studio Technical Director” at ArenaNet means I’m responsible for the engineering of the game and related tools (hardware and software). “Head of Engineering” is more descriptive of the role. I’ve been at ArenaNet nine years; I started as a server programmer on Guild Wars 1. That’s why I pay attention to server perf among many other things.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Thadriel.3682

Thadriel.3682

Please raise the cap..We are having a 17 man queue @OS – And it’s only 2 guilds in…Same goes for the borderlands. If you are unlucky, you are stuck in queue for ages.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Previous

Stephen ClarkeWillson

Next

Okay – back to the issues. My graphs say “server induced lag” is greatly reduced (not perfect but very playable) but many people here are telling me they get a lot of skill lag and disconnects. I’m going to call that “communications induced lag” and it sounds like a very serious problem. Sadly I’ve never run into it. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen – I believe you all have a valid complaint! It’s just much harder to diagnose than a problem that happens to me. It could be our servers fail to send updates for some reason, or the client fails to process them for some reason, or some other communications channel problem. Yesterday in-game a person contacted me and said their guild chat and guild status was broken. I suggested using “/clientport 443” to see if they got a better connection and they did and their guild problems were solved. To me that means they were a victim of traffic shaping. I understand nobody wants me to blame the internet – so I won’t. I’ll assume this is a problem on our side that gets exercised in big battles.

As for zero ping being interesting to me … I go by something I call “Pat’s Dictum” which I learned from Pat Wyatt. If something seems a bit off in asynchronous programming you should check it out! It could be a simple UI bug or it could be that there is a broken communication path to the game! I won’t know until I or one of the programming staff figures it out. It might be nothing or it might be very important.

So I’ll be turning my attention to “communications induced lag” and trying to find a way to measure it across the player base since it doesn’t happen to me. I have no idea how long this will take but it’s very important to me to figure it out.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

It’s still lagging pretty badly for everyone on EB atm ( consistent)…EU,Far shiverpeaks matchup.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Previous

Stephen ClarkeWillson

Next

I’ll log into the Far Shiverpeaks map and have a look. (It’s lunchtime for me so a good time to play WvW!)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I’ll log into the Far Shiverpeaks map and have a look. (It’s lunchtime for me so a good time to play WvW!)

It’s on EB to be clear…Thanks alot for taking a look,appreciate it !

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

to be fair, lowering cap in wvw can’t be the fix. We hardly had any queue in Piken, now we have 2 evenings queue and on the map it is dead silent.

Piken Square

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

aspirine.6852

Just to be sure, why dont we try to reroll the stability changes and see if the lag is gone

I was chasing a thief who used his shadowstep skills, perhaps the server is in doubt if the shadowstep was allowed or not :P

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

so you Decreased the Border Map Cap Anet, so you fix your stuff with a small bandaid on a bleeding wound that just keeps bleeding ? This is utter fail and a complete slap in the face for us WvW players. We have ques in t 3-5 now in ALL Borders and when Exp comes how will u solve it then ? You (Anet) messed something up when u introduced the Stab-patch and u try fix it with this, pathetic decrease… its NOT a solution. You just creating a bigger issue by not dealing with the mess you made…

get it together, also I wont be silent no matter how many infractions u give me.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

coglin.1867

for us WvW players.

Please do not post your off topic, negative attacks here, and claim to speak for everyone else.

Do everyone a favor, and stick to speaking for yourself if you don’t mind.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

ImLegion.4018

for us WvW players.

Please do not post your off topic, negative attacks here, and claim to speak for everyone else.

You are only allowed positive feedback or nothing at all?

Piken Square

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

coglin.1867

for us WvW players.

No, you are not allowed to speak for me, or disingenuously claim to speak for others at all, for that matter, in my opinion. I thought I was fairly clear on that aspect, given what I quoted.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

ImLegion.4018

for us WvW players.

No, you are not allowed to speak for me in my opinion. I thought I was fairly clear on that aspect, given what I quoted.

Speaking of going offtopic then…It’s not just about you. We are all in it and if you think that’s not the case it’s fine. But lowering the cap isnt the solution, at next lag they will simply lower cap again, because it is the quickest way of “fixing” it.

Piken Square

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

coglin.1867

for us WvW players.

No, you are not allowed to speak for me in my opinion. I thought I was fairly clear on that aspect, given what I quoted.

Speaking of going offtopic then…It’s not just about you. We are all in it and if you think that’s not the case it’s fine. But lowering the cap isnt the solution, at next lag they will simply lower cap again, because it is the quickest way of “fixing” it.

Personally, I do not feel it is a solution either. Nor did I like the idea in the first place. Although, I am in favor of it, in the context, and only in the context, of it being used to root out the original problem and being used as a tool to test what they need to, in order to solve the issue as a whole, as long as the cap is reverted to normal, in the end.

At what point does that justify another poster, disingenuously claiming to speak for me, or any other player?

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.9610

Shadow.9610

Huge lag spike on Riverside Borderland (Bay Fight).
About 15 minutes of lag. Might be clientside.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

blim.6320

Stephen ClarkeWillson as “Studio Technical Director” I hope you deal with the person or people responsible for introducing a patch of this nature just before a holiday and then go off on holiday themselves. As a director, I couldn’t think of a worse situation to be put in and full respect to you for trying to deal with it in your holiday time.

Just for the record I have played next to no WvW over the last few days and it’s been very frustrating for me and many others. Even now things are not perfect but come tuesday I’m sure the team will ffind the bug and fix it.

Thanks for your time.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

No where did he say lowering the cap was the solution.. I recall players asking him to lower the cap before he even did to see if that made a difference.

Trial and Error:
A method of reaching a correct solution or satisfactory result by trying out various means or theories until error is sufficiently reduced or eliminated.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Lag aside, I worry that the lower cap will greatly upset zerg balance and force players out of WvW. Think about it. At max cap, thats just one guild and a slightly larger pug zerg. If they face the same setup, its goimg to be boring as hell because only the two guilds will match each other, the pugs will be eaten alive by them. And what if its a large guild? The border will basicly be deserted becauze no other guild can go there.

Very worried indeed.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Tiffany.8576

Tiffany.8576

After a relatively lag-free weekend, game has been unplayable all day for me from UK. Ping spikes to 4,000+. Tried cycling my connection and using -clientport switch to no avail. QQ. Seems to be packet loss related:

Ping statistics for 64.25.38.168:
Packets: Sent = 82, Received = 68, Lost = 14 (17% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 210ms, Maximum = 213ms, Average = 211ms
————————————————————————————

I do not have packet loss to anything else other than ANet servers.

Tiff | [TW] Tempest Wolves | WvW Staff Tempest Guide
NA/EU sPvP Elementalist

(edited by Tiffany.8576)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Caps should be increased not lowered. I play WvW to see huge armies not small troops.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: GusTheBus.3204

GusTheBus.3204

The real problem about the lags is that the client most times just disconnects from server while everything is working fine in computer (you can check while talking in ts with guildmates, the conversation never is interrupted but you still got disconnected form game).

I think the treshold the game has, to detect a un-snchronize with the client is so low permissive, the minimum thing makes the game either spike lag (freeze for 10-15 seconds and then superspeed) or either makes the game disconnect directly.

Again, I know these problems are different from the one being “investigated” in this post, just wanted to point it out.

About the problems being discussed here,today it was still lag sometimes, it was less than usual tbh (maybe because of lower the population) but still lag on big fights

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Valin.6873

Valin.6873

The Gate of Madness server and match up is seeing lag in eb if u want.. littery no big fights happens yet were all jumping around. Im not the only one.. map chat says it to. :/

<Dagger/Dagger Elementalist> <Gates of Madness>

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Previous

Stephen ClarkeWillson

Next

I’ve increased the map caps on all of the Borderland maps. I continue to explore why people get disconnected in zergs (as I said, it has never happened to me, even when I visited a zerg where other people told me it happened in that exact zerg).

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Peter.9241

Peter.9241

Did your co workers believed your ping of 0?!