Last Stand at Southsun: Feedback/Opinion

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

Okay, you obviously didn’t figure out the mechanics.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO FIGHT THIS NUDE.

You want as much freakin’ toughness and vitality as you can get. This is the first non-DPS dungeon in the game. Well, non-player-DPS anyway.

The fight with him is all about turning mines green and luring him over them. Just hit 1 on the mine detector and then match the symbol with the disable. Land mines (bomb) use 2, gas mines (green skull) use 3, and caltrops (uh…caltrops) use 4.

Glance down at the chat box from time to time. When you see him getting ready to detonate all his mines, just run to any of the many places where there are no nearby mines and wait. Maybe read a book while you wait. Do your nails…pick belly lint…

You don’t get it don’t you ?

I did it 5m after the event started nude just like the mad king(solo coz grps was bugged) and the clock tower.

And i do it nude to prove its poorly designed,rushed and not funny.Thats how i protest things in GW2 i do them NUDE bcoz gear don’t matter.

(edited by Luna.9640)

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

And that is how to do it… quite different to how people have been saying you have to do it. (use the wrong skill to trigger the mine when Canach is next to it) Something tells me that Anet didn’t make it clear enough.

Seriously. It was completely opaque as far as how to do it right. In order to detonate the mines and deal damage to Knoll, you don’t use the skill that actually detonates them, you use the skill that disarms them… how asinine.

Posted by: undouble.1472

undouble.1472

And, don’t bother trying to inflict “conditions”——————Cranach “successfully” evades ALL attacks against him!!!!!! How “thrilling”!!!

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

What ending? I found Canach sp, and exp. But the patch notes mention a sp story ending instance and I cant find it anywhere.

Is this content that isnt in yet like the karka queen?

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

There seems to be some confusion.

The steam wall leads to a dungeon interface providing both story and explore modes, while you can talk to a nearby NPC to go directly to a single player gimmick fight with Canach.

Rhaps.8540

The steam wall leads to a dungeon interface providing both story and explore modes, while you can talk to a nearby NPC to go directly to a single player gimmick fight with Canach.

No. The steam wall gave access to story/exp mode before the patch. After the patch they split story to solo on the npc and the steam wall only activates exp when you walk into it -after- doing the solo canach via that npc. They already said they released the dungeon too early and hence this bug with not getting rewards (I did the story mode before the patch so no rewards for me but thats a different issue). The part im specifically referring to from the notes is this….

Instances

Added new Canach single-player story boss encounter.
Added explorable multiplayer variant (unlocked if you defeat Canach).
Added new single-player instance for the culmination of the story.

So check off the first 2, where is the 3rd?

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I created a topic during F&F to discuss the merits/flaws of ending primarily solo content with a 5 man dungeon. It turned out to be a pretty contentious topic.

Whether this new ending structure to Southsun was a response to that or planned all along I think it is a great format.

Single player instance that tops off the story for those who cannot fathom entering a 5 man dungeon and an explorable mode on the side for those who do. Thats perfect imo.

Thanks Anet. Jus’ throwin’ it out there that I love that direction!

except that this solo mode (unlike most of the personal story instances and most of F and F) does not allow you to bring any friends with you. And you can’t access the group content without doing the solo content.

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

@ Rhaps Maybe will appear with Karka Queen?

Rhaps.8540

@ Rhaps Maybe will appear with Karka Queen?

Aye maybe, im just wondering if anyone else has found it or if this is just another part of the patch notes that isn’t actually live yet.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I actually didn’t mind the Canach fight mechanics. It was annoying at first as it took me a few minutes to work out how to do it, but I don’t need everything to be handed to me on a silver plate, so that’s cool.

The story was (is) good, in my opinion. Still waiting for everything to climax when the rest of the content is released.

My suggestions for improvements:

• Canach instance: 1-5 player instance
    After people complained so much about “being forced to play with strangers” during Flame & Frost / MF, ANet tried to compromise by giving us both a single player and a multiplayer instance. I really appreciate the extra effort. But people still aren’t happy (…). I think it would be best to just leave it to the players. I know designing instances that scale with the number of players is much more of a pain, but it worked for Cragstead & Hatchery, and the personal story instances.
  • Canach fight mechanic
    The red/green thing is not optimal for people who suffer from colour blindness (I know several GW2 players who are affected); a different sort of visual marker (e.g. glowing aura on/off) would have been better.
  • Cinematics
    Since Ellen Kiel’s and Canach’s dialogue VO was recorded anyway, a dialogue cinematic would have been nice. (Although I could only hear half the dialogue, so not sure what’s going on there.)
  • Avoid spoilers in achievement page
    Option 1: Use the achievement page for teasers, but those teasers shouldn’t give away too much.
    Option 2: Release achievements together with the actual content to avoid spoilers.

Maybe I will be able to give more constructive feedback after the release of the rest, but so far this is the only things I would suggest to change in future living story elements.

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

… that you don’t know what he’s doing.

Yes, the chat says when he’s fixing his bombs or going to detonate them all.
But do you always read the chat while fighting?

IMO it is just a very bad designed battle, if you’re forced to read the chat while fighting.

And the worst thing:
it is nothing you can read quickly. At least for me, it’s very hard to see what he’s doing, without focusing the text and reading it to see if he’s repairing or detonating them.
And even then I’m not always sure if he has already done that, or if he’s going to do it again right now

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

Posted by: Bragdras.9572

Bragdras.9572

I don’t really see what else do you need to furthermore help you in this fight – there’s both text and Canach has a specific animation for each of his abilities.

If you’re unable to either read the yellow text that suddenly appears, or see how Canach has a different animation for every attacks / mine related abilities.. There’s not much more Anet can do beside making it a cinematic.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I think there is a Canach animation when he is about to explode the mines (if I remember correctly), in which case the text would be only additional help.

If it was on screen (similar to PvP announcements) it would have been a little easier, I agree.

(But I had no problem finishing it the way it currently is.)

Posted by: gvaughn.4163

gvaughn.4163

a good bit of advice for the fight (and for life in general i suppose) is just to always stay away from the bombs. then it doesn’t matter what he’s doing.

HoD

digiowl.9620

Karka queen seems to be a open world event that will spawn if the various settlements are kept free of trouble for some time. Could be it ties in with the contracts rescue.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I had no issues with Canach as an instance, I can understand some of the grievances though. The main issue I had was the disjointed storytelling. Had I not seen the forums/patch notes/achievement log, suddenly being up against Canach as a major enemy would have been a bit of a shock. There is very little lead in to what he is doing or who he actually is. Yes the info is kinda there, but for a major player, I’d have expected more background

Rhaps.8540

Karka queen seems to be a open world event that will spawn if the various settlements are kept free of trouble for some time. Could be it ties in with the contracts rescue.

It’s not in yet, quote from dev:
“However it is NOT out until next week. We’re actively working on modifying our patch notes.”

I’m wondering if the 3rd single player instance they mention is also not in yet.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Yeah, he mostly did damage on me when he kicked me into a mine; other than that I felt pretty safe.

Posted by: undouble.1472

undouble.1472

“Using” the mines ONLY works until Canach detonates them———then you no longer HAVE the time to id and “disarm” the rest————cuz you’re already downed and dead———cuz your “down” skills DON"T WORK

Pixelpumpkin.4608

If you stay away from the mines when they detonate, they don’t down you.

I had enough time to disarm a new mine (or two) each time.

Posted by: sasoriza.5967

sasoriza.5967

Resetted at 1/4 health – this is pathetic anet, simply pathetic!

digiowl.9620

Canach was a big meh. The poison and bleed mines seemed to do nothing, leading me to go ping hunting for the blast mines.

This while trying to avoid setting off the mines (detonation circle only showing a short time after ping), having a launch happy boss mob chase me around, and sometimes finding the whole room blow up.

This is already high on frustration, but then you have 3 different disarm skills, all GT based, and if you use the wrong one the mine blows up on you.

I don’t have time to look at the boss for hints about what he is doing, i need to find the right type of mine. And the yellow text in the corner is not helping, because, well, it is down in the corner!

The whole thing seems like something hastily hacked together in the last minute by someone that do not understand the finer points of the game mechanics, nor the limits of human information processing capabilities.

Posted by: Paranormal Bear.2539

Paranormal Bear.2539

Traps under my control knock me down, but don’t affect Canach? Simply, do I have to FRAPS it so that whoever is in charge of this dungeon can do something about it?

Honestly, the mechanic changes done-on-the-fly for compensation towards the VOCAL FEW (not even a drastic population number) made it extremely difficult to obtain the Lair-light-foot achievement!

How about sticking to mechanics that work instead of break them? Oh, there’s a thought!

Guild Master – Engineer Bear of Teddy Bears [PAWS].
Come join us in our FA Bear Invasion!
http://toygamers.forumotion.com

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

This is the stupidest game mechanic I ever encountered.

Stop with these kittendropping “FUN” new and oh so interesting ideas already.

Constantly running away while simultaneously trying to dodge his kitten killer attack and then ending up in a trap cull de sac as I only have one mouse to right-click look while trying to left-click aim those frikken tiny disable thingies ..
Keep these funny ideas to the MOTO dungeon, or maybe I need to hire some ADD kid to do this crap for me.

Nobody got time for THAT!
(the above is for solo instance, no idea what´s after that. After 4 tries not really eager to find out if it´s similarly fun)

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So people try this once, fail, and then state it’s poorly designed?

digiowl.9620

I don’t really see what else do you need to furthermore help you in this fight – there’s both text and Canach has a specific animation for each of his abilities.

Animations i never see because he is behind me while i am busy trying to sort the worthless bleed and poison mines from the massive hitting blast mines.

Paranormal Bear.2539

People aren’t criticizing based on try-once. It’s a multiple trial experiment with a lot of bugs involved.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I seriously hate using items for dungeons. I like using my own skills that came with my class. Encounters like these need to stop.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

A massive step down from Molten Facility. You can thank all the people who whined incessantly about a proper dungeon being at the culmination of the last story arc. It was amazing and I’m sad to see it go as temporary content.

Subdirector Null wasn’t particularly hard, nor was it particularly difficult to figure out fight mechanics for anyone paying attention. My first group of first timers wiped only once, and I haven’t died in subsequent runs, even with Null being in love with me

I don’t understand the… ‘nude’ thing. There’s a burn phase. Doing it nude means you will die, for sure. DPS is quite necessary here from what I know, and you can’t achieve that with no gear stats.

All in all: Good encounter. Good single encounter. There’s the flaw… Where’s the rest of the dungeon, seriously? No unique rewards. Beyond perhaps getting the daily bonus chest, there will very quickly be no one running this aside from people who haven’t done it yet.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

hey folks,

our patch notes jumped the gun a bit. Canach instance is NOT the ending of the living story. That will come next week. Stay tuned!

Posted by: Molonlabe.3761

Molonlabe.3761

I’m not sure it CAN be done solo—————————since Canach is totally invulnerable to ANY damage (even his own mines). —-————-another prime example of the “cure being worse than the disease”———-“yes Igor, the brain transplant was a success———-but the patient died (of heart failure)”

I just killed him with mines, on my first try, as a warrior.

Some people really need to develop their reading ability, if not their logical-thinking ability. The NPC in the instance provided more-than-enough instruction on how to “use the detector and mine” to defeat Canach… In fact, the ability list on the detector also provide enough hints on how to use the mines to kill Canach…

On a more serious note: This patch does suck, and boss encounter was a huge disappointment. I expected something similar to F&F, if not better, but instead, I got ONE ROOM WITH ONE MOB as a boss encounter.

ONE ROOM WITH ONE MOB!! Seriously??

Posted by: LTBK.1024

LTBK.1024

Do you know what’s the icing on the cake? Ok, here it goes: pets activate mines too. GL trying to have a fun, not annoy others or get the achievement if you just happen to only play a pet class (fortunately I don’t, but it doesn’t make it better as I wanted to complete it with my ranger).

We’ve been having similar issues with pets since launch, and they can’t still figure it out when making new content. I’m really disappointed, Anet.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

People aren’t criticizing based on try-once. It’s a multiple trial experiment with a lot of bugs involved.

Bugs or people just not learning the mechanics? I’ve seen people call out things as bugged or glitched before when they had no idea how to do it.

digiowl.9620

I’m not sure it CAN be done solo—————————since Canach is totally invulnerable to ANY damage (even his own mines). —-————-another prime example of the “cure being worse than the disease”———-“yes Igor, the brain transplant was a success———-but the patient died (of heart failure)”

Some people really need to develop their reading ability, if not their logical-thinking ability. The NPC in the instance provided more-than-enough instruction on how to “use the detector and mine” to defeat Canach… In fact, the ability list on the detector also provide enough hints on how to use the mines to kill Canach…

The issue is not understanding how, but the amount of work needed to pull it off.

1. watch out for boss attacks that launch you, and later for his mine detonation.

2. pinging mines to see what kind they are and apply the appropriate GROUND TARGETED skill from a set of 3. Apply the wrong one, and the mine explodes on you. And all you get is a hazy icon.

3. do all that while running around so that the boss can’t keep hitting you with his basic attack. And watch out, mines also detonate if you get too close. And they only show the trigger circle for a short while after being pinged.

To me that spells information overload.

Posted by: SquirrelKing.8964

SquirrelKing.8964

I have to say, I’m a bit perturbed by the personal “story” instance. What happened to the dialogue we got when we played F&F? He just says generic Sylvari stuff. He doesn’t have a unique voiceset. He just attacks us with shield bashes right at the outset.

As far as the encounter itself goes. I encountered many bugs that rendered it unplayable. First, about half the sound effects cut out so I was no longer able to hear the bombs “ping” or explode. Then, when Canach started putting down new bombs, they exploded on me before they were even visible. How am I supposed to counter that?

This seemed like something someone built in five minutes. I promptly logged out.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

You shouldn’t be standing in the mine detonation radius to begin with, so the mine detonation makes no real difference. Stay out of red circles. (They don’t change in radius…) Move away from the sparks.

The boss’s ranged attack does pitiful damage, the only thing that’s mildly threatening is his melee stabs, which have a super long cast time in which he’s rooted in place. Simply move away, or better, through him.

Stability helps with his pull, or a reactionary blind, protective boon, evasion, block, what have you.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Paranormal Bear.2539

Bugs or people just not learning the mechanics? I’ve seen people call out things as bugged or glitched before when they had no idea how to do it.

Real annoying bugs such as:
1. Canach no longer voice-talks after he’s captured.
2. No rewards for players who complete either phase.
3. Lair Light-foot achievement not working for some people.
4. Traps are misbehaving – exploding while under your control, not exploding next to Canach/NULL, invisible to Canach/NULL when walked next to or toward into.

and stuff like that. The instances were rushed. Arena Net freaked out the moment a small minority complained on the forums, and they compensated by rush-separating both instances at patch. Thus, a ton of general bugs were created making it really difficult for some individuals to gain their achievements/completion.

I finally got my lair light-foot achievement by having to repeat the solo-instance over 05x because Canach would recover 100% hp after getting hit by gas trap which IS supposed to actually condition dmg him. Go figure.

(edited by Paranormal Bear.2539)

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

we tried it, we succeeded the first try on berserker warriors. It’s just really garbage content

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

It’s half baked. Canach should have a much more obvious tell for what he’s doing – the Flame and Frost boss had dialogue to indicate he was enraged, Canach should have some audio to indicate he is about to recharge a mine as well as better visual queues. It’s often difficult to tell whether he has finished recharging his mines and you’ve managed to convert it afterwards or if you’ve converted it and it will be recharged in a moment. A tiny yellow line of text announcing it’s starting isn’t very helpful.

I’ve also noticed if you charge the mine right after they reappear, quite often they will look green but they will still be red. This encounter needed much more time with QA testing the responsiveness of the mines and the accuracy of the red/green lights when shifting according to what Canach did.

If you charge a mine while Canach is on top of it it won’t trigger and it will stop working for the rest of the instance. This is similair to a Ghost Eater bug after his redesign so I don’t know why we are seeing it again.

The phase where he destroys all the mines is a time sink. It’s not challenging to counter (just don’t stand on the mines, you are already doing that) and during that time you can’t hurt the boss so you just stand there like an idiot waiting for it to pass. It’s frustrating and boring and it just drags out the fight.

I don’t think it’s poorly designed. I personally don’t enjoy trap mechanics, I have a whole bunch of skills and an entire build dedicated to fighting. I hate it when developers make content that replaces my skills unless I get really powerful and fun skills to compensate.

Two of the traps are completely pointless. He doesn’t heal so poison isn’t worth it (it’s also hilariously short duration) and he doesn’t hurt you so crippling him with two short duration bleeds isn’t worth it. All you do is hunt down bombs and use them.

It’s poorly tested. It’s still buggy, it lacks polish and you can fail when you did nothing wrong, because the mines can be deceiving because of bugs. Failing because of a bug is a very annoying thing, especially when it means starting again.

I get the feeling this encounter was originally much more challenging and they nerfed it repeatedly to the point where it’s only hard if you are clueless or have difficulty managing the buggy trap system. If Canach had regen the poison traps might mean more (with a duration boost) and if he actually did damage the cripple traps might help with strafing. As it currently is, those two traps seem primarily designed to hinder you (they are easy to avoid).

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Calling this a dungeon is an insult to MMORPG’s.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Do you know what’s the icing on the cake? Ok, here it goes: pets activate mines too. GL trying to have a fun, not annoy others or get the achievement if you just happen to only play a pet class (fortunately I don’t, but it doesn’t make it better as I wanted to complete it with my ranger).

We’ve been having similar issues with pets since launch, and they can’t still figure it out when making new content. I’m really disappointed, Anet.

Don’t go talking bad just yet. I got the achievement, and my pet had set off several mines. As long as you, the player, do not set them off by stepping in them, you’ll get the achievement.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

So how’s the strategy to kill him fast and get the the achievements? Somehow he seems to activate the mines again and I get hit and he regenerates health wtf?

Posted by: Bry.8140

Bry.8140

This solo garbage has just killed my interest in this game stone dead.

Posted by: Molonlabe.3761

Molonlabe.3761

The issue is not understanding how, but the amount of work needed to pull it off.

1. watch out for boss attacks that launch you, and later for his mine detonation.

2. pinging mines to see what kind they are and apply the appropriate GROUND TARGETED skill from a set of 3. Apply the wrong one, and the mine explodes on you. And all you get is a hazy icon.

3. do all that while running around so that the boss can’t keep hitting you with his basic attack. And watch out, mines also detonate if you get too close. And they only show the trigger circle for a short while after being pinged.

To me that spells information overload.

You can’t be serious. How could this be information overload? If this is indeed information overload, how do you handle regular school/work loads?

You don’t need to remember all the mine types with one ping. You only need to memorize at least two and preferably three due to the skill cool-down timer.

If I remember it correctly, detector skill 5 can interrupt his mine-detonation skill. His base-auto-attack does so little damage to my full-zerker warrior with a 2h sword, full-zerker mesmer, and hybrid condition necro.

I guess ArenaNet can no longer release a more challenge content, otherwise it will be information mega-overload.

Posted by: derLoko.2185

derLoko.2185

really? i had no idea.
i think a lot of players are going to miss this…

Posted by: wolfshirt.8459

wolfshirt.8459

The multiplayer dungeon is great, I love it.

the singleplayer instance, however, is a NIGHTMARE.

Posted by: Lifelost.5627

Lifelost.5627

Worst game mechanic ever. not fun.

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Did the singleplayer now… is easy but the achievement without getting hit… nearly impossible. If they at least showed the message that he is detonating traps or rearming them in the middle of the screen… I don’t pay much attention to the chat and then I’m getting hit.

Boring bullkitten and I’ll just go back do my dailiy “only doing dailiy achievements” until next weak and trying the karka queen and contracts. Not doing multiplayer or the not getting hit achievement. Lucky they are not counting to meta achievement. First time I’m not completing everything. Such a boring solo dungeon…

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Did the singleplayer now… is easy but the achievement without getting hit… nearly impossible. If they at least showed the message that he is detonating traps or rearming them in the middle of the screen… I don’t pay much attention to the chat and then I’m getting hit.

Boring bullkitten and I’ll just go back do my dailiy “only doing dailiy achievements” until next weak and trying the karka queen and contracts. Not doing multiplayer or the not getting hit achievement. Lucky they are not counting to meta achievement. First time I’m not completing everything. Such a boring solo dungeon…

Is it so hard to look on chat? C’mon my little sister can do this probably…

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

Cannach takes 5 minutes once you get used to it.

I’ve now completed it using every single class. Mezzie can cheat via confusion. A couple other classes can as well with ground targeted condition applying skills. That said, it’s so much faster to use the mines.

Bunker builds are easier than zerker, but the only threat Cannach presents is possibly knocking you into a land mine. Neither Cannach’s other attacks nor the other mines are a threat. Since he telegraphs the hell out of that attack, easy to dodge or step behind a rock or something.

It also has a solid reward, although perhaps a bit too much given that it really does get down to a 5 minute-per-run time making it about a 12g per hour or so. Not as much as Union could be pre-nerf, but better than any other dungeon but CoF path 1 speed run.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?