Tempest Changes for Next BWE!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Irenio CalmonHuang

Irenio CalmonHuang

Game Designer

Next

Greetings Tyrians,

Thanks for all the feedback on the Tempest from this last Beta Event! After poring over your posts and doing some of our own testing we’ve made some changes to address issues with Warhorn skills and Elemental Overloads.

You’ll be able to check out each of these changes in the next Beta Weekend Event.

We gathered from you that, on the whole, Warhorn skills felt decent even if a few felt undertuned. We’ve made the following adjustments to bring them more in line with other profession skills.

• Cyclone – Increased damage by 20%.
  • Sand Squall – Now a blast finisher.
  • Lightning Orb – Increased damage by 36%.
  • Wildfire – Increased damage by 32%.

The concepts behind overloading an element were pretty well received, however you called out that the time cost of overloading compared to the final rewards were too unbalanced. Overloads are intended as potent tools which are not always available – to push this feeling each of them has been given a stronger effect to bring some more parity to the risk vs. reward of using them.

• Overload Air – Increased damage by 30% and increased the radius of effect from 240 to 360.
  • Overload Earth – Increased damage by 50% and increased the immobilize upon end from 3 seconds to 4 seconds.
  • Overload Fire – Increased the damage by 20% and increased the duration of burning applied per pulse from 2 seconds to 3 seconds.
  • Overload Water – Increased the amount that healing power affects pulsed healing by 400%. Increased the final heal value by 50%.

We’ll continue hearing your feedback and reading over your excellent discussions from the Beta Weekend.

Catch you in the jungle,
Irenio Calmon-Huang

Edit: Minor formatting change.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Again thanks for the feedback. Any chance some of the tempest traits could get reworked? The elite skill as well?

in Elementalist

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

That’s it? Not a single horrible trait touched?

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well now the weapon skills and overloads will be brought into line to be worth losing, but I still have to say that:

1. Rebound will still be a terrible elite skill

2. Traits will still feel very underwhelming in the strength of the benefits they bring.

But I’m glad the strength of the basic effects has been buffed, that is a good start to putting Tempest back on track.

But seriously though, Tempest has some of the worst traits I’ve ever seen in a video game during all of my days. All of the other elite specs had their traits looked at or adjusted to be rebalanced, and since Tempest has arguably the worst traits of any elite spec so far, I am a bit appalled that they weren’t looked at.

Unless of course you use Robert Gee’s reasoning of not wanting to buff too much all at once.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

(edited by nearlight.3064)

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

What about Rebound? And the traits? And on a higher leve, the fact that this elite does not actually bring a new role to the class? These changes do not address most of the concerns that we have with the Elite.

(edited by The Great Al.2546)

in Elementalist

Posted by: TauTauRa.9348

TauTauRa.9348

Joke post? It took longer to write up these notes? Nothing fundamental about the Tempest has changed, no changes to horrible traits, and no changes to Elite. This is silly compared to the feedback that Reaper and Chronomancer got.

in Elementalist

rotten.9753

Without a rework to some of the traits it doesn’t matter how much you buff warhorn and overloads since you are required to grab those horrible traits. They should be a priority issue.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

This supposed to be a joke?

Seriously?

This does not address a lot of the big issues with the Tempest, such as:

- terrible design. And if it is to be kept because you are too stubborn.
- piece of kitten of Elite Skill; and
- Horrible traits.

This took you so long to write?

Good thing I expected this to be completely alienated from the feedback provided, otherwise I would be even more disappointed.

Can’t believe I bought the ultimate in a pre-order… Man I am a kitten for doing that.

in Elementalist

Posted by: moriz.5473

moriz.5473

these changes are disappointing. instead of addressing the actual issues (warhorn skills moving too slowly, overloads not worth their opportunity costs), anet does what it does best: MAKE BIGGER NUMBERS!!

this is a pathetic showing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

What about the completely useless elite skill?
What about the most serious need for stability on overload?
What about shout/water trait overlap of aura sharing?
What about the lack of synergy in tempest with staff and scepter?
What about the super slow skills on warhorn that are behind you if you are moving forward?
What about the lack of mobility skills/utilities?
What about the lack of any new boons or conditions?
What about not having to camp an attunement for 5 seconds before chanelling for just as long and the lack of synergy with elemental attunement?

Thank you for the effort but it’s like you’ve listened to only 5% of what people have been saying. It’s like you only want to do the minimum work and only change some numbers.

And these number changes will not make tempest worth taking over d/d or d/f, nor justify the price tag for the expansion, if that is all we are getting for our main class.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

This supposed to be a joke?

Seriously?

This does not address a lot of the big issues with the Tempest, such as:

- terrible design. And if it is to be kept because you are too stubborn.
- piece of kitten of Elite Skill; and
- Horrible traits.

This took you so long to write?

Good thing I expected this to be completely alienated from the feedback provided, otherwise I would be even more disappointed.

Can’t believe I bought the ultimate in a pre-order… Man I am a kitten for doing that.

Yea as you said before Tempest is not only a numbers issue but apparently the devs don’t seem to understand this.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

This was exactly what I was afraid off – you not properly reading the feedback and only tweaking numbers when there are tons of mechanical issues with the skills. The fact not a single trait was touched or the fact we still have the worst elite in history of this game makes me think that the devs responsible for ele and tempest have no clue about the class. It just comes from the fuindamental idea of the spec which wasn’t recieved very well and I would argue overcharging was like you say. There were many issue with the spec that weren’t about numbers at all, but somehow that goes by unnoticed.

It’s not only bad for tempest, but for also for the whole game. One thing is not being able to actually make the spec good, second thing is the fact d/d hasn’t been nerfed for ages now. This imo just comes from the simple fact you just fail to balance it so we either have something broken or something too weak. That’s how the whole class have been since the launch.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Is this some sort of bad taste joke, or you just don’t care about your playerbase and feedback?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/The-Elite
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Rebound-Tempest-elite-skill
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Tempest-Beta-Feedback-Thread

Are you really going to give a middle finger and spit on our faces? Ignore the most discussed problems (Elite, Time LoadingxReward, Traits) and make a dirt “Fix” to the smallest problems that most don’t care about?

I hate the fact that I love this freaking game, and still i can get so much disappointed with some actions like this.

Congratz dev team, for upseting your playerbase once again.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Head buried in sand confirmed.

Upping the numbers of the overloads do not address the issue that the Overloads are still too risky to ever channel and don’t offer more than what you can normally get by just doing standard rotations except for the updated water Overload. I’ll give you that. Add some more effects to the kitten overloads. More numbers don’t make it more rewarding. Add a daze to the Air Overload at the end.

Without touching the ramp up time or the cooldown these wont be worth it. Reduce the ramp up time to 3 seconds and reduce the cooldown by 4 seconds. Also, make Lucid Singularity give a pulsing 1 stack of stability every 2 seconds. Then we’re talking.

The amount of changes done to other classes vs this is absurd.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

(edited by Raif.9507)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Athanielle.3016

Athanielle.3016

Hahaha nice joke guys, now show us the real changes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: KarlusDavius.1024

KarlusDavius.1024

Ok forum warriors, time to calm down.

Remind yourselves that this is a BETA post. We will be having more of these. There is no point in buffing and changing EVERYTHING only to find you over cooked it. Getting the basics right first is obviously the dev’s priority. The traits are probably being looked at but won’t be available for the next upcoming event.

If you have read the feedback given, it seems the mechanics of these new changes are pretty complex. Give them time and keep giving them feedback like they have asked.

The dev’s have shown that they care and listen. Assume they are doing the same until proven otherwise.

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

in Elementalist

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

This is sad… you listen to feedback but ignore the ones that take actual time and effort to make happen

how were NONE of the AWFUL traits even touched or looked at??

Yet again anet takes the EASY path by just saying “oh, well, we can just bump up some numbers, hows that for you? sounds great? good! enjoy!”

Honestly sad. Guess we’ll have to wait another month to see the next set of changes.
Because this did absolutely NOTHING for tempest…

in Elementalist

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

This is obviously a joke. No way this is serious.

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

Can you please explain why Rebound was not changed?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Salocin.2783

Salocin.2783

Hahahahahahaha.

…This is terrible.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Remind yourselves that this is a BETA post. We will be having more of these. There is no point in buffing and changing EVERYTHING only to find you over cooked it. Getting the basics right first is obviously the dev’s priority. The traits are probably being looked at but won’t be available for the next upcoming event.

If you have read the feedback given, it seems the mechanics of these new changes are pretty complex. Give them time and keep giving them feedback like they have asked.

The dev’s have shown that they care and listen. Assume they are doing the same until proven otherwise.

First of all, stop calling people forum warriors. They have every right to complain.

Second of all: They do not read the feedback. If they did they would know people didn’t want simple number tweaks. The issues with the spec are deeper than that.

Third of all: Compare the changes other specs are getting to this one. It’s a complete joke.

No point giving them feedback anymore when they can’t either properly read it or just do not care. And if their priority is tweaking numbers over fixing mechanical issues then I do fear for the class.

in Elementalist

Posted by: zorokai.1486

zorokai.1486

LOL 2 day delay and only this was done – not even any REALLY needed changes.

Sorry but RIP tempest if they seriously do not put more love and care into this trait.

That said – Warhorn still no where near as good as a D/D ele so yea RIP spec anyway.

Baldur [SL]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aerial Melodies.4938

Aerial Melodies.4938

I’m not sure what perspective the other eles are posting from, but from a WvW-oriented one the traits and the abilities were great at allowing eles to leave the staff-only meta in small guild fights (or keep staff but try some new ideas with the tempest line). I can see where if you’re riding solo as you are more likely to do in PvP that the traits have less purpose.

I agree that the elite wasn’t worth taking. I still took fgs as an escape only or possibly the elemental glyph, but every ele elite still remains lackluster. It would be amazing to get a nice elite like Feel My Wrath but instead I’m used to never touching my elite as an ele unless I’m doing dungeon runs, and even then FGS nerf makes it more like remembering old times than anything else.

Ele for Hire

in Elementalist

zorokai.1486

Clearly a troll – Clearly does not play the ELE – Clearly does not see the major issues with the spec (super underwhelming, out classed by the D/D already on the ELE)

Dev’s level of care… well no comment i’ll just ssay have a look at the Revenants BWE1 feedback post. Ill let you judge for yourself.

Baldur [SL]

in Elementalist

Posted by: QQing.3089

QQing.3089

Cool, I’ve only been playing d/d for ~3 years. I might as well take the challenge of playing d/d with two functional trait lines and one kitten one. Dragonhunter even got it’s traits looked at and it isn’t borked as much as Tempest is, smh …

(edited by QQing.3089)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Is this a joke? BUFFS?!

What the hell

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

I’m not sure what perspective the other eles are posting from, but from a WvW-oriented one the traits and the abilities were great at allowing eles to leave the staff-only meta in small guild fights (or keep staff but try some new ideas with the tempest line). I can see where if you’re riding solo as you are more likely to do in PvP that the traits have less purpose.

I agree that the elite wasn’t worth taking. I still took fgs as an escape only or possibly the elemental glyph, but every ele elite still remains lackluster. It would be amazing to get a nice elite like Feel My Wrath but instead I’m used to never touching my elite as an ele unless I’m doing dungeon runs, and even then FGS nerf makes it more like remembering old times than anything else.

None of the traits allowed you to leave your self imposed staff only meta. What the -40% damage instead of -33% damage? The bubbles healing? The terrible overloads? Seriously? You think that’s what would have helped? The traits were one of the more worthless parts of the elite.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Poliator.7021

Poliator.7021

First of all, there will be more BWE to come. I don’t know why are you all complaining about. Did you expect the Devs to fix everything in one go?

Good job guys, that’s how you encourage developers to balance things, telling them they suck.

in Elementalist

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

“The concepts behind overloading an element were pretty well received” – you must have been reading another forum, because in the ele forum here overloads were mostly doomed.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Guys, keep in mind that these are “changes for the next BWE,” so they were never likely to be more than tweaking a few numbers here and there. I do hope that they replace the Elite, but that would involve a lot more work than they could get done by the next test (which I would assume is within a month or so).

As for bigger changes to how powers work, I imagine that even if they are considering it, they want to do some internal testing before announcing anything.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Honestly if I would have known they would have rushed the elementalist elite profession I would not have bought the expansion in advance. I don’t play PvE much, everyone is getting the new WvW and PvP map anyway, and Tempest is doesn’t offer anything new, unlike the Chronomancer which is getting new boons and conditions as well as a class mechanic that improves the class instead of crippling it.

Forgive me, but I love the elementalist class too much to see it get something barely half-functioning.

in Elementalist

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

First of all, there will be more BWE to come. I don’t know why are you all complaining about. Did you expect the Devs to fix everything in one go?

Good job guys, that’s how you encourage developers to balance things, telling them they suck.

Take a look at the changes made to Reaper and Chronomancer and then try to say this again with a straight face.
It would be a lot weirder if people weren’t complaining at this point.

in Elementalist

zorokai.1486

Pretty much did for the revenant….. reaper had major adjustments.,…

Just not the tempest

Baldur [SL]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aerial Melodies.4938

Aerial Melodies.4938

None of the traits allowed you to leave your self imposed staff only meta. What the -40% damage instead of -33% damage? The bubbles healing? The terrible overloads? Seriously? You think that’s what would have helped? The traits were one of the more worthless parts of the elite.

Had plenty of guildmates not running with staff and trying out different combinations of trait lines. Believe it or not, eles are one of the most diverse classes in terms of builds – ever talk to a guardian? Just because you personally think the traits are bad doesn’t mean someone else can’t enjoy trying to figure out how to make it viable in their game mode and playstyle. The attacks in this forum are probably why no one actually wants to listen to anyone; it’s just a lot of hot air and noise with little substance. Thanks, though, for attempting to show me how my opinion is somehow worthless compared to the greatness of your own. I regret to inform you it has fallen on deaf ears.

Ele for Hire

in Elementalist

Honestly if I would have known they would have rushed the elementalist elite profession I would not have bought the expansion in advance. I don’t play PvE much, everyone is getting the new WvW and PvP map anyway, and Tempest is doesn’t offer anything new, unlike the Chronomancer which is getting new boons and conditions as well as a class mechanic that improves the class instead of crippling it.

Forgive me, but I love the elementalist class too much to see it get something barely half-functioning.

I’ve been playing Ele almost exclusively, and about 99% in PVP since release. As it looks right now I’m gonna main Mesmer in HOT.

As fun as DD cantrip ele is, after 3 years of the same spec I’m looking for something new which apparently Tempest won’t provide.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

This is… awkward.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Poliator.7021

Poliator.7021

Take a look at the changes made to Reaper and Chronomancer and then try to say this again with a straight face.
It would be a lot weirder if people weren’t complaining at this point.

And do you think they did something great on Reaper? Greatsword is still worthless in PvP and PvE with other weapons being more useful. Shouts will still be crap with the heal being nonsense. Want me to continue? There are more BWE coming and you guys are being jerks to the developers.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

Had plenty of guildmates not running with staff and trying out different combinations of trait lines. Believe it or not, eles are one of the most diverse classes in terms of builds – ever talk to a guardian? Just because you personally think the traits are bad doesn’t mean someone else can’t enjoy trying to figure out how to make it viable in their game mode and playstyle. The attacks in this forum are probably why no one actually wants to listen to anyone; it’s just a lot of hot air and noise with little substance. Thanks, though, for attempting to show me how my opinion is somehow worthless compared to the greatness of your own. I regret to inform you it has fallen on deaf ears.

If you thought that was an attack, get some thicker skin. It was a snarky way of asking if you were serious or trolling and what exactly made you think what you think.

We all theory crafted and tested and went through many iterations, just like you. With guildies as well, some of us have those too. You can enjoy theory crafting as much as anyone, I certainly do, but at the end of the day the traits are bad and offer nothing that can do what you claim it did. The question I asked (which apparently the phrasing of which hurt your feelings) is “what makes you think that? I think they’re bad.”

But hey, keep on going with that attitude.

in Elementalist

Not a single trait change? Not even 20% recharge bonuses on the shout trait?

I am disappoint.

I get that you can’t completely rework Rebound in a short time frame (and I really hope that you’ll completely rework Rebound based on the overwhelmingly bad feedback on it, otherwise I’m gonna lose the last bit of hope I have in ele devs), but a few minor trait changes like 20% recharge should have been possible…

And what’s the point of auras on overload AFTER you finished channeling them, not at the start?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fade.1743

Fade.1743

Except we’ve been talking about these exact problems since Warhorn was datamined. We have good offhand options and adding one more doesn’t help. Hell, the Warhorn is the BEST part of the elite spec right now and they just made it better. Does it surpass our expectations? No, it’s exactly what most of us expected!

The IDEA of overload for current mainhands is AWFUL. None them work by staying in an attunement for longer than a few second, let alone 5 to get to the overload…and then making yourself a GIANT target for interrupt spammers. Now, if we were given a mainhand that made us WANT to stick to an attunement (say very low CD skills) then yeah…overloads could be great. BUT THEY DON"T WORK NOW.

The shouts and traits add NOTHING to the current mix. In fact, you can get better condi cleanses just from water alone. The heal MIGHT be able to be good for group healing, but really…that’s it. The traits have no damage mods…so no reason to bring Tempest as a traitline to PvE. Everything revolves around the group…so being solo gets you no benefit. There’s no reason to play this in PvE when our current setup is better and works for solo and group play.

And none of this addresses the problem of Ele relying on the broken stacking tactic used by groups. If you have bosses that can move on their own (you know…with improved AI), or bosses that can reflect projectiles (grawl shaman), or bosses with higher toughness but low vit (like some of the changes talked about for the new fractal fights), then Ele begins to wane in terms of damage and support. This was an excellent time to bring in a high mobility, low CD weapon that allows us to be in the attunement that fits the fight rather than camping the only good one for damage (Fire staff) or swapping through them rapidly (dagger and scepter). But no, we get this.

Magichemist Zeke – Asura Elementalist [TC]
An Insane(ly Intelligent) Genius!
“Did you just tell me the rules? Never tell me the rules!”

in Elementalist

rotten.9753

When I first read dragonhunter changes I noticed traps trait giving now 20% cooldown reduction. Wasn’t disappointed when I couldn’t see shouts trait update here.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jade Arkadian.9280

Jade Arkadian.9280

I don’t think “Moar damage” it’s the correct answer to player’s BWE1 feedback :/

in Elementalist

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

I find it hilarious that a fair number of the posts in this thread are complaining that Tempest did nothing to improve d/d or staff ele or eles in PvE.

So the elite spec didn’t improve 3 places where the ele has been top of the charts for 2 years?

Now this definitely did not fix a good bit of the issues with the lite spec but expecting tempest to totally replace d/d and staff in all game types is just a joke.

in Elementalist

Posted by: KreatE.7612

KreatE.7612

We gathered from you that, on the whole, Warhorn skills felt decent even if a few felt undertuned. We’ve made the following adjustments to bring them more in line with other profession skills.

The concepts behind overloading an element were pretty well received, however you called out that the time cost of overloading compared to the final rewards were too unbalanced. Overloads are intended as potent tools which are not always available – to push this feeling each of them has been given a stronger effect to bring some more parity to the risk vs. reward of using them.

Definitely headed a good step in the right direction! Thanks for listening to feedback anet

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

I find it hilarious that a fair number of the posts in this thread are complaining that Tempest did nothing to improve d/d or staff ele or eles in PvE.

So the elite spec didn’t improve 3 places where the ele has been top of the charts for 2 years?

Now this definitely did not fix a good bit of the issues with the lite spec but expecting tempest to totally replace d/d and staff in all game types is just a joke.

Except that a lot of people are saying that the main issue with the Tempest is the fact it aims at replacing D/D ele in its brawler / group support role.

And the biggest issue with the post made by ANET is that they showed they don’t give a kitten about the numerous pages of feedback that have been posted.

These changes won’t affect at all how the next BWE will provide feedback on the Tempest because the same core issues still exist.

Worst of all they don’t even acknowledge the core issues and think that just giving a damage% bonus will solve everything.

End result. Pathetic changes.

in Elementalist

rotten.9753

Tempest doesn’t replace ele in any of the game modes and is considered a joke.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Just not the tempest

The revenant had two feedback changes so far, as there was a beta for them before BWE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Just not the tempest

The revenant had two feedback changes so far, as there was a beta for them before BWE.

So far, every elite spec has had trait revamps/core mechanic tweaks.
ACTUAL changes on all other elite specs

What do they do with tempest? eh heres some bigger numbers? enjoy!
oh, nothing on your crappy traits or elite thou, thats too much work!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The Reaper and Chronomancer changes were numbers tweaks too. And besides, the Tempest was in a really great place in the last build, so the changes needed were more minimal.

Except we’ve been talking about these exact problems since Warhorn was datamined. We have good offhand options and adding one more doesn’t help. Hell, the Warhorn is the BEST part of the elite spec right now and they just made it better. Does it surpass our expectations? No, it’s exactly what most of us expected!

Eles will not be getting a mainhand weapon anytime soon. Just stop beating that dead horse.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aeolus Skylla.5037

Aeolus Skylla.5037

Wow, this subforum…. Anet did miss the ball here, that’s for sure. Some of you are wayyyy over-exaggerating how bad the Tempest is though. What exactly is wrong with the traits? There are really only a few that need to be looked at… as for the warhorn, I’d argue it has potential to be better than dagger offhand. Some of the animations need to be sped up or changed (water 4 and earth 5 need to work a bit faster, water 5’s waterfield should move with the caster). Other than that, I see no problem with the warhorn.