Tempest & Warhorn confirmed – Feedback [merged]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avador.8934

Avador.8934

It’s really weird to take one of the squishiest classes and make its elite spec all about close range support, while locking it out of its main source of survivability, fast att swapping. Also that long casting time for overloading, skills like that should always be at least mid range, we will never be able to channel it in melee without tons of stability, which is again forcing us to take cantrips, which are currently a must for any close range (d/d) ele.
Of course it’s a different playstyle, I am just not sure if it’s the right one. Based on the informations we currently have, I see that Tempest biggest potential will be probably spent in stacking corners in dungeons, which is sad.
But we will see everything on Friday, when they show us everything, we will be able to make our opinion.
( I also really hope that we will hear something like: “Because we felt that scepter as the ele’s weapon wasn’t that good, we decided to make some changes to it…”)

I am lazy to write it over and over. So sorry for my English.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Bottom line is, you haven’t even tried it yet, so you don’t really know if it’s a new play style or not. It’ll be a new play style for me, at any rate, even though I use dagger/dagger.

A new play style doesn’t really have a dictionary definition. Overcharging is a new mechanic for the profession. That’s all there is to it.

People who use the word lie when this is just a matter of interpretation seriously dent their credibility. People who insist on using that language, in my opinion, are the major reason Anet has stopped communicating with us.

No I have not tried, but the faults are still there. Let’s see if the Friday reveal touches on these faults and they say what they thought about them, but right now the spec seems a net loss.

And given the past reveals, I really expected the “fundamental” changes to the play style to be akin to the guardian, which really opened a possibility for the guardian to be a ranged threat – which it is not by any form today. That is fundamentally changing a class.

So when we get more of what we can already do, yeah I get really kittened off. Sure its a new mechanic (which thus far has a ton of flaws), but it does not “fundamentally” changes the class.

And ANET’s communication with its player base was poor since day one and only continued to be.

So yeah I am being overly aggressive with them, but after almost 3 years of them having 0 communication with their own community and then expecting a fundamental difference that, perhaps, could change us from our main bruiser tank role or our severe dependence on boons to survive, sorry if I find this specialization very lacking and not innovative.

Again hyperbole. They’ve have some communication, ie it’s not zero. Can’t you stick too facts. Or are you so worried your actual issues are so weak you have to embellish them.

You say well the guardian is this way, so the ele should be this way. All they said was that it would be a change to play style. I don’t know anything in the game that while you’re triggering it has an effect, which then had a different effect at the end of that time.

It’s going to change MY play style for sure. You want to define what they meant by playstyle by making assumptions go right head. But they’re still assumptions and you’re still overstating your case.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

And here folks is a prime example of inverse ignorance, a malady commonly found on the internet, wherein a person can know more about something because they know nothing about it, because, obviously, if you don’t even know the breadth or depth of the subject, let alone the actual content, it must be small, simple, and easy, right? Like arguing a subject they know so little about they don’t even know what the word mechanic means in context of the argument.

Did you not read the interview? The introduction of overcharging is an entirely new mechanic. It does not exist in the game as of right now. You are acting like a child.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Was I the only one hype for this when I read the article?

First thing that came to mind when I read the article was “staff ele meteor shower fire tornado tornado elite bahahahaha!” (Uh we’re still doing the dramatics thing.. Right?)

I don’t know if I’m in the minority, but I saw an interesting, cool spec. You have a choice to look at the ways it could be bad or list what the other specs can do better, or start figuring out new ideas and ways to make an effective build that you’ll love.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Guizao.4167

Guizao.4167

The beginning of your statement is ambiguous; I can know the CDs of my teammates right after they cast something, because I have in mind how long an specific ability takes to recharge. Thinking about every profession in game there are situations where you have to use your healing abilities with you want to stay alive (almost every), bringing it to guardians, ‘Smite’ recharges in 16s if meditation’s trait is equipped and it’s a viable option to use whenever it’s possible, which means the shout elite is welcome here; Thinking of blink, in team fights if a shatter mesmer can’t get away of a thief or any sneaky profession with good burst they’re pretty sure dead, even more dead if they have to escape from a thief + x profession, which means the elite shout is welcome here.
The shout elite will reduce the recharge of the next skill, and not the current one your allies used.

The thing is that if you are babysitting others so carefully as to know all their cds and calculate perfectly when to ult to maximize their most benefical skills in the middle of a fight without teamspeak or some high coordination with friends…. 1) You have some god-like abilitys or 2) You arent really in the middle of the battle / active helping

1. You don’t need god-like abilities, just observe their playstyles and put you effort into your decisions
  2. In the “middle of the battle” you can still do a couple of things
It’s all about THE COLORS

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avador.8934

Avador.8934

So you can exactly know that now this one is going to use his elite, this one his healing skill and this one some important utility. And what if you are wrong? What if the 1st one decides to use 1 last aa before his elite, 2nd one’s heal skill still have few secs cd and the 3rd one gets interrupted and is going to use another skill (probably aa or some weap. skill) before his utility can be used? Isn’t that a little waste of your elite?

I am lazy to write it over and over. So sorry for my English.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

All of the anti-tempest QQers have gross contradictions in all of their arguments that make me question whether or not they actually play the game, or spend all their time complaining on the forums about problems that don’t exist instead of playing.

Almost as if the problems are being pointed out by different people, that consider different features to be important, and concentrate/put emphasis on different things.
…oh wait

Not in WvW mate. Eles don’t usually run in in WvW. Staff ele is the meta.

And with the prevalent pirate ship approach staff will stay the meta. You aren’t going to see any frontline eles there for sure (well, not used by players that know what they are doing anyway). And for skirmishing d/d will still be way better.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Okay, I’m really in a bad mood, but could you stop fanboying ANet so much? You’re the only one I keep seeing defending it. Just look at it. It does exactly what ele can do already, but it has a kitten mechanics. What’s good about it? Why would you take this over attunement swap which does exactly the same and doesn’t lock you in one attunement?

No point arguing with you, you’re gonna keep saying how awesome it is. Well, there you go. I know the skills and I’m even more disappointed. Happy now?

It can’t be doing “exactly the same thing” and be different at the same time.

Also, while it definitely may not be the optimal offhand ever (then again maybe it is), there will always be people using it.

This self proclaimed optimal build nonsense is only cared about by a very minor group in Guild Wars 2. If the warhorn is fun to play then alot of people will actually play it. You can be in a bad mood over a silly design decision all you want (it’s not worth it), but you’re out of depth if you think no one will use it.

Generally speaking it is a good idea to assume pvp and wvw. In pve anything is viable, the people who dont care are sticking to pve. We are talking big boi stuff not fights against stupid mobs.

Heh. I quoted only one of the posts. If you read you would’ve noticed pvE was mentioned. Even then it is clear to me that you can’t be serious enough in either pvp or wvw to merely discard the offhand without even trying it out.

Big bois? Don’t make me laugh. Too much crying involved.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Demandred.7930

Demandred.7930

Just a thought: compare this elite with guardian’s renewed focus (90s), that recharges team regen (50s) and team aegis (75s), with protection and stab when traited… Nonetheless, it could be very strong in organized teams, I think that the pros are happy with this one. Useless for scrubs like me though :p

in Elementalist

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The problem with the elementalist elite is that it can be used with a very powerful skill or with a very fast one, it’s very situational and requires a lot of communication to pull it off. Moreover, while it’s not that hard to coordinate with an ally so his most powerful skill gets reduced cd, the skill is supposed to affect the entire party. Tell me how are you going to coordinate so everyone in your group gets the benefit of this skill, not even TS is enough.

There is a new boon Mesmers get which is called Alacrity:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Alacrity

Alacrity is a much better mechanic because it affects all your allies equally regardless of which skill they are using. Alacrity also is a boon that affects ALL the skills of your allies and yourself, including the elite skill itself.

66% faster recharge on all the skills of all party members looks way more powerful than 25% cd reduction on one skill (good luck coordinating so the elite affects more than 1)

in Elementalist

maddoctor.2738

Example:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Well_of_Recall

If I understand it correctly, 66% faster recharge means for every 1 sec of alacrity, 3 seconds of recharge pass. Well of Recall applies 3 seconds of Alacrity, which means once those 3 seconds pass, 9 seconds of recharge will be removed, so a net benefit 6 seconds of recharge per skill.

However Alacrity applies to all your skills, so if all your weapon, heal, utility and elite skills are on cd, you will get a massive 6*9=45 second cd reduction, multiply by the amount of players affected (5), and you get 225s cd reduction total. Of course there are also other things affected by Alacrity, second weapon set, profession mechanic recharge, kit, conjure etc recharge, so the benefits of Alacrity will go way up.

Well of Recall also does damage, applies chill on foes and has a 45 sec CD (39s overall if you count the 3s of Alacrity)

If the Elementalist elite has about 20s recharge (or less) it might be worth it otherwise it won’t even be worth the elite slot

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Argol Vazin.3061

Argol Vazin.3061

So after the ten ton hammer article…I will paraphrase a movie quote for this

You Maniacs! You ruined it!, kitten you! God kitten you all to hell!

in Elementalist

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

In case people have NO kittenING IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, here’s a link:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/guild-wars-2/guild-wars-2-tempest-revealed

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Elementalist

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

Why u all think that it will affect the skills your allies are using? For me its really more natural think the shout will affect the skills AFTER u had cast it. If it is not like this, arenanet srsly need to make it work in this way.
In this way u can even coordinate that without TS. A buff icon that say you that next skill u use will have CD reduced will be welcome.

I really think it has a lot of potential, at least in pvp. Surely 50% CD reduction would be really better

But that’s still bad because it either forces people to use high cooldown skills at suboptimal times to get the CD reduction, or waste the buff on a low cooldown skill that they planned to use in the current situation.

25% isn’t much either – if you use it on a 180 seconds CD skill it’s down to 135 seconds – meaning if you use the skill now for the elite you still won’t be able to use it again in the current fight.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Hmm, so a lot of players didn’t take to the provided news. Can’t say that this caught me off guard.

I’m curious though, what did people actually want out of this spec? They say this spec gives them nothing new and just more of what ele already has but fail to acknowledge what they need. So what do they need? Are you going to say burst damage? Just going to tell you, it’s unlikely anyone is getting a burst spec, at least not in the fashion people are requesting. You’re not going to get a moderate cooldown, short/instant activation, easily aimed high damage burst rotation. It’ll either require wind up or sacrifice and for this spec, the sacrifice for burst effects (damage and support) seems to be in the wind up + cooldown angle.

Crying that it’s warhorn doesn’t help either, as if you’d get something novel out of sword lol. Sword likely wouldn’t have been powerful either, just come cleave at moderate cast time and moderate recharge skills that are mild PBAoE.

From what I do hear of the spec, it will get some control which I think would actually work well for Scepter (if they improve it some). AoE immo for my dragon tooth and phoenix? Sounds good. They just need to make water skills useful enough to stick in for its cooldown to overcharge it.

My perspective on what this spec brings to the players is effect for sacrifice, that sacrifice being holding off on swapping attunements to get a greater effect. Many players complained that the only viable way to play ele was attunement dancing, to the point that people will blindly say you are WRONG if you don’t dance your attunement rotation. Some people don’t like that spammy style and want a more calculated high-effect type of play. Currently you can’t really do that on ele, you need to swap and throw down your high cooldowns, not hold off and overcharge skills for greater effect. Basically, there is no advantage to holding off on certain skills and it’s all about what skills are off cooldown and which attunement they are in.

I just hope those overcharges are quite decent. From how it was explained, you have to basically wait until the attunement gets off cooldown after you swap into it (likely goes on reg attunement cooldown upon entering combat) before you have the option to overcharge it. Once you overcharge it, you can ride out the cooldown if you need that effect so you can perform it soonest or let it go into exhaust mode (overcharge cooldown + attunement cooldown upon swapping back in) to use another overcharge. The obvious goal isn’t to overcharge as much as you can, just what is needed. Pulling this off isn’t as easy as spamming skills either. I’ll wait to see just what effects we’re going to get out of overcharge.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

20s locked out of an attunement and a 2.5 to 5 second casting time?! No one is going to use Tempest for PvP or WvW … especially with all the interrupt build chronomancers that are going to be around. This has to be one of the worst designed specialization I have seen to date. It is as if the developer never even considered 2/3rds of the game in his/her design.

80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

Maybe can also try to see if on glyph of renewal will be not bad. I mean if u are specced into air and u take the glyph CD reducer and the shout u can ress 3 people every 100sec…

This is the thing I find HILARIOUS. Every other class has elites with effects that are like “OMG, that is so strong, watch out for it!!!”

Ele elites are all like “well maybe if the stars align, it can be ‘not that bad’!”

Necromancer. Our elites are WORSE than yours. And that is saying something. And don’t tell me Lich is strong, no one in their right mind will actually get hit by the slowest autos of all time (you can literally run circles around the lich and not get hit), and the only other useful skill on it is the mark that spawns jagged horrors…and Reaper gets that as an always avaiable shout (if he hiots 5 targets, anyway…).

Also note I’m talking normal Necro elites, Reapers shout is actually quite good although 2 second casttime is BS. In return the Tempests utility and healshouts sound better than Reapers.. And the “gets stronger with each foe hit” mechanic sucks balls. It should be base as if you hit 3 and better if you hit more than 3… anyway, wrong forum to rant, so I’ll stop here.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

(edited by Shiki.7148)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Icelin.8412

Icelin.8412

I’m not happy about this at all, my first character was an ele. It has stayed my main all these years, I have put a lot into her and it’s a big disappointment. That’s what I really wanted for my class was to be forced to be even more of a support class…when we were supportive enough as it is.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I think it’s pretty boring, but not weak compared to the rest. It’ll depends highly on the recharge, but a consistent ability to reduce other skill’s recharge isn’t bad compared to elites that you mostly just leave alone on your bar.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Argol Vazin.3061

Argol Vazin.3061

My perspective on what this spec brings to the players is effect for sacrifice, that sacrifice being holding off on swapping attunements to get a greater effect. Many players complained that the only viable way to play ele was attunement dancing, to the point that people will blindly say you are WRONG if you don’t dance your attunement rotation. Some people don’t like that spammy style and want a more calculated high-effect type of play. Currently you can’t really do that on ele, you need to swap and throw down your high cooldowns, not hold off and overcharge skills for greater effect. Basically, there is no advantage to holding off on certain skills and it’s all about what skills are off cooldown and which attunement they are in.

Staff, you are basically the master of AoE and you camp fire on Staff since you just have massive AoE DPS, add in ice bow/glyph of storms. arcane blast for fury and your good to go. not to mention with constant lava font there is no end to the might stacking.

Camp water for healing support…if healing actually meant anything.

Tempest offers nothing that staff alone already does, in fact the entire elite spec could be converted to a single elite skill that would be better for us as a whole.

Elemental fury (Formaly tornado form): Unleash the fury of the elements in spectacular ways based on your current attunment. Becomes stronger the longer you are in an attunment before using it.
As you can imagine. each of the overcharges whatever they’re called would be represented in this single elite skill

(edited by Argol Vazin.3061)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

Maybe can also try to see if on glyph of renewal will be not bad. I mean if u are specced into air and u take the glyph CD reducer and the shout u can ress 3 people every 100sec…

This is the thing I find HILARIOUS. Every other class has elites with effects that are like “OMG, that is so strong, watch out for it!!!”

Ele elites are all like “well maybe if the stars align, it can be ‘not that bad’!”

Necromancer. Our elites are WORSE than yours. And that is saying something. And don’t tell me Lich is strong, no one in their right mind will actually get hit by the slowest autos of all time (you can literally run circles around the lich and not get hit), and the only other useful skill on it is the mark that spawns jagged horrors…and Reaper gets that as an always avaiable shout (if he hiots 5 targets, anyway…).

Also note I’m talking normal Necro elites, Reapers shout is actually quite good although 2 second casttime is BS. In return the Tempests utility and healshouts sound better than Reapers.. And the “gets stronger with each foe hit” mechanic sucks balls. It should be base as if you hit 3 and better if you hit more than 3… anyway, wrong forum to rant, so I’ll stop here.

i would trade ele elites for necro elites in the blink of an eye. and no, reaper shout is trash; if it had a 50s cd with 1s casting time it would be good.

guardian’s quickness shout is on a 24s cd with the trait so i hope we will get a similar cooldown. would be happy with 45 -20% from trait.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Elementalist

Posted by: FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but maybe (just maybe) alacrity would fit into the concept of the skill? Even if the alacrity was short duration, it would wipe out the possibility of someone using an ‘incorrect skill’ at the ‘wrong time’. Yes, they did say that alacrity would probably be Chronomancer/Mesmer exclusive – it’s just something to think about.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pazu.8320

Pazu.8320

Arcane will impact overload recharge, so most probably we will be forced to go Water/Arcane/Tempest.

But that’s why you’d take Fresh Air instead of Arcane. Arcane won’t affect the overload I believe, just the attunement recharge. Maybe I read it wrong, but the two are still separate cooldowns. I’d also like to try this out. There’s also the option to take a conjure to fill in any gaps… though the thought of that scares me a bit. I really have no idea, but I will certainly be trying out Tempest/Air/X for a bit.

Paul Lukische (ele), Pazu Plus One (ranger), Oh The Pazubilities (mes) et al – Sanctum of Rall
Champion Titles: Legionnaire, Genius, Magus, Paragon, Illusionist, Phantom, Shadow, Ritualist
Spectral Legion [SL] is recruiting! spectrallegion.com

(edited by Pazu.8320)

in Elementalist

maddoctor.2738

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but maybe (just maybe) alacrity would fit into the concept of the skill? Even if the alacrity was short duration, it would wipe out the possibility of someone using an ‘incorrect skill’ at the ‘wrong time’. Yes, they did say that alacrity would probably be Chronomancer/Mesmer exclusive – it’s just something to think about.

I already did the comparison between Ele elite and Well of Recall (Mesmer Utility).

The Well will give a 6s cd reduction on ALL recharging skills of ALL party members. The Well also does damage and chills foes, while the shout does nothing of the sort.

For a class with access to a huge number of skills like the Elementalist, the shout is lacking. With Alacrity a solo Elementalist could reduce by 6 seconds all weapon skills (potential 4*4=16 Weapon skills on cooldown) + all your slot skills (5) for a grand total of 21*6=126 seconds of cooldown removed from all your skills.

With the shout you will reduce the cooldown of ONE skill by 25%, best used with Glyph of Renewal which has a 165 second cd, that will save you 41.25 seconds. 126s vs 41.25s at BEST is what you will get from both skills. That’s without taking into account the damage and the chill of the well. All that with a 45 sec CD (39s if you account for the Alacrity)

The Elementalist shout needs a 20s cd, anything above that and it will be severely lacking.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Not in WvW mate. Eles don’t usually run in in WvW. Staff ele is the meta.

And with the prevalent pirate ship approach staff will stay the meta. You aren’t going to see any frontline eles there for sure (well, not used by players that know what they are doing anyway). And for skirmishing d/d will still be way better.

Eh, maybe. With Elementalists getting shouts, you could potentially have front-line Soldier rune/gear boon-sharing, shout-condi-cleanse elementalists like you have with some Guardians. They may not be in heavy armor, but they could sure act like it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

“Elite specializations keep the base profession core skills and traits in addition to the new ones provided by that elite specialization, while offering new profession mechanics or changing existing ones.”

Source: wiki

First, your quote is wrong (I remember when I first wrote that quoting from an early interview, and I stand correct to this moment). Second, you can’t change the attunements! They are the core of this profession and will always exist! Elite specs will work on top of attunements, and this is expected.

So, please, avoid quoting false information and understand the underlying approach for elite specs.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

Guizao.4167

So you can exactly know that now this one is going to use his elite, this one his healing skill and this one some important utility. And what if you are wrong? What if the 1st one decides to use 1 last aa before his elite, 2nd one’s heal skill still have few secs cd and the 3rd one gets interrupted and is going to use another skill (probably aa or some weap. skill) before his utility can be used? Isn’t that a little waste of your elite?

I never said exactly nor pretended to suppose. If you don’t have enough communication means with your teammates then you gotta figure out their rotation.

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Tempest will offer different ways to cleanse conditions so you may not need water attunement at all.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

How uninsipiring have the Ele Elites becomes, it makes me wanna cry.

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Tempest may offer different ways to cleanse conditions so you may not need water attunement at all.

FTFY. So far all we know is that the Water overload cleanses conditions (we don’t know how many) and that the heal cleanses some (don’t know how many). For all we knnow it will cleanse 4 between these 2 on long cooldowns.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

How uninsipiring have the Ele Elites becomes, it makes me wanna cry.

Don’t cry, it isn’t worth the tears.

I wish I could be terrible at my job and still have a job for three years.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Naurgalen.2374

Naurgalen.2374

1. You don’t need god-like abilities, just observe their playstyles and put you effort into your decisions

1) Looking at 4 total strangers for less than 20 secs and totally knowing how they all play + calculating when to ult to maximize all their long cd skills in the middle of multiple fights (because you will need to know how they respond in different situations) seems pretty god-like to me. And that´s just normal PvP.
2) When you observe others play-style how are you focusing in doing what the team needs? (healing someone, capturing a point, defending the treb, chasing or whatever) What if they play separated, attacking all points at the same time? You probably will benefit only 1 teammate, reducing the ults potential a lot.

I agree that in most PvE environments it can be made. An depending on CDs and how it works may be even broken (in the OP sense) in coordinated teams. But in normal PvP? Not really.

in Elementalist

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Please somebody tell me this also works for ele itself?

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

in Elementalist

Valento.9852

This elite is ridiculous. For Jesus Christ’s sake, you had ONE JOB, ArenaNet! I’m so kittening disappointed I just can’t even see this crap anymore. 0/10

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Markin.9167

Markin.9167

Another bad elite, poor ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

Well if the elite has a reasonable cd, (=<60s) it could be worth it.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ragmon.6350

Ragmon.6350

I wanted something more flashy, but oh well.
The usefulness will depend on the elites cool-down and duration.
Mist Form and Armor of Earth will see a significant boost from the elite, IMO.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Captain Prinny.6492

Captain Prinny.6492

Yeah, I will log in now and protest with all my shouts I have on my Elementalist!

I suppose we are completely ignoring the fact that the Overcharged Attunements that are a thing will lock you out of said attunement for x amount of time? That will very much change how the Elementalists is played, since you can just go around aimlessly changing attunements with that and so on.

People also love to throw around the word promise everywhere. I think people need to actually learn what it means.

Give this man a medal, he deserves it!

It is not a lie at all OP, and no broken promise. If your definition of “completely changing the way class X is played” needs to have so fundamental changes like “riding a unicorn over a rainbow while shooting lazorguns is the new way to play your ele” get lost. I am completely fine with the Elite Spec’s spicing things up a bit not changing eles into Storm Troopers dual-wielding Chainsaws or into a T-Rex with back equipped Catapults.

Please be a bit more resonable in your expectations. The more over-the-top the “fundamental” changed gameplay is for every class the more nightmare the game-balancing gets/development cycles get longer and longer, etc… And I rather play HoT 2015/16 than 2020…

If they manage to realease 2-3 other elite specs over the coming years THEN and only then I expect them to go all out crazy…but before they do that I rather wish for yet another overhaul of the spec system than them going banananas over “changing the way classes are to be played”

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Staff, you are basically the master of AoE and you camp fire on Staff since you just have massive AoE DPS, add in ice bow/glyph of storms. arcane blast for fury and your good to go. not to mention with constant lava font there is no end to the might stacking.

Camp water for healing support…if healing actually meant anything.

Tempest offers nothing that staff alone already does, in fact the entire elite spec could be converted to a single elite skill that would be better for us as a whole.

Elemental fury (Formaly tornado form): Unleash the fury of the elements in spectacular ways based on your current attunment. Becomes stronger the longer you are in an attunment before using it.
As you can imagine. each of the overcharges whatever they’re called would be represented in this single elite skill

The way I see it the warhorn will bring staff like AoE damage and CC skills that will be useful to use with the sustained damage and PbAoE of an MH dagger, which we couldn’t do before. In pve anything works so whatever, but in pvp this could be a cool new combo since the staff builds had powerful support for pvp, but the dagger builds always outclassed it in damage and flexibility, especially in smaller fights.

So I agree with Leo G.

All this spec needs to be viable is anything that makes it better, or as good as blinding ashes and the fire can trip trait. So far we know that getting more mileage out of protection and the ability to use game changing abilities every once in a while seems like a fair tradeoff so far compared to the fire line in cele pvp builds.

I’m personally excited to see what traits it offers that don’t apply to the channels.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Posted by: Notsoperky.4291

Notsoperky.4291

Lots of pretty animations to make it even more impossible to see anything or dodge enemy damage, what’s not to like? Lag- never mind, at least it’s pretty!

Can the overcharge be channeled whilst moving? Otherwise standing still for 3-5 seconds in any sort of pvp is usually termed ‘suicide’. Does the range even warrant it’s use?

I feel this has been designed by a dev who glanced into spvp and saw only d/d eles, without considering wvw or staff eles at all.

Can’t wait for some organised group feedback to see how it works in practice.

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

Please somebody tell me this also works for ele itself?

Shouts always work on yourself.

in Elementalist

Valento.9852

I wanted something more flashy, but oh well.
The usefulness will depend on the elites cool-down and duration.
Mist Form and Armor of Earth will see a significant boost from the elite, IMO.

Depending on the overload you use, you must use AoE, they’re kinda forcing us back into cantrips once more. I don’t even…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I feel like this skill would be infinitely more useful if they changed it to grant 5s of alacrity. with a 30-kitten CD, like a different version of the guardian elite.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

“Elite specializations keep the base profession core skills and traits in addition to the new ones provided by that elite specialization, while offering new profession mechanics or changing existing ones.”

Source: wiki

First, your quote is wrong (I remember when I first wrote that quoting from an early interview, and I stand correct to this moment). Second, you can’t change the attunements! They are the core of this profession and will always exist! Elite specs will work on top of attunements, and this is expected.

So, please, avoid quoting false information and understand the underlying approach for elite specs.

:)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns#Elite_specializations

Next time read the material on the wiki too before accusing of false quotes.

And to the guy above, no your idea certainly involved a lot of consumption of heavy stuff… but I guess that is what you need if you think that Elementalist can not group buff and group heal today, always needing to watch their positioning so the effects they get from swapping attunement, making and blasting fields, etc produce the most tide turning effect in battle.

I mean, it is not like elementalists today:

have a trait that let’s you give AoE boons on a very short cooldown; or
are able to heal 2 times for a sizeable amount and cure up to 3 conditions of himself and allies by simply dodge rolling while swapping to water (or 3 times and 4 conditions if they also use Dagger OH 5); or
share their auras (which they have good access to); or
provide up to 9 AoE might stacks by using a standard might generation rotation just once, which depends on a positioning to get the best effect.

They definitely did not have any of that in melee / close range so the new elite spec comes to fill in this HUGE void in group support that the elementalist had.

(edited by Azel.4786)

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Lots of pretty animations to make it even more impossible to see anything or dodge enemy damage, what’s not to like? Lag- never mind, at least it’s pretty!

Can the overcharge be channeled whilst moving? Otherwise standing still for 3-5 seconds in any sort of pvp is usually termed ‘suicide’. Does the range even warrant it’s use?

I feel this has been designed by a dev who glanced into spvp and saw only d/d eles, without considering wvw or staff eles at all.

Can’t wait for some organised group feedback to see how it works in practice.

Yes you can move while channeling. The articles mention traits that give you swiftness while channeling (supersede would be better imo) as well as protection healing and immunity to chill/immob.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

The new elite shout is so bad I don’t even believe it’s real. It maybe useful in pve – but even then only when you’re in teamspeak. In pvp it’s basically unusable.

25% less recharge isn’t much, it’s only really useful for skills with cooldowns above 2 minutes, i.e. other elites. So eles get an elite that doesn’t even do anything for them. Wow.

“Elite for teamplay? wtf? Dat bad” no it isnt, its a Capability aimed at other playstyles such as premades and Support, not everything has to make u uber tbh…. I’d of prefered a more offensive capability for elite yes, its alittle annoying that they put this down given the fact most of our elites is team giving capability anyway to have a more selfish elite would have been nice.

but it isnt bad, it does have potiental and its place, a very hard place to get to but if ur playing with friends its worth the pick up.

in Elementalist

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Ele is already stupidly strong at support even when going for damage.

Staff is not a stand at 1200 range and support from a fair, if built right, you want to be near the action so you can support as best you can.

I also think it’s not addressing the glaring issue with ele scepter especially when deliberately side stepped it by saying “warhorn will synergize well with mainhand dagger.”

I just can’t understand why eles need this, just as I don’t understand why eles that suffer from a massive flip flop between weak as kittens to Zeus on steriods didn’t get the complete rework with specializations.

in Elementalist

Guizao.4167

1) Looking at 4 total strangers for less than 20 secs and totally knowing how they all play + calculating when to ult to maximize all their long cd skills in the middle of multiple fights (because you will need to know how they respond in different situations) seems pretty god-like to me. And that´s just normal PvP.
2) When you observe others play-style how are you focusing in doing what the team needs? (healing someone, capturing a point, defending the treb, chasing or whatever) What if they play separated, attacking all points at the same time? You probably will benefit only 1 teammate, reducing the ults potential a lot.

I agree that in most PvE environments it can be made. An depending on CDs and how it works may be even broken (in the OP sense) in coordinated teams. But in normal PvP? Not really.

1. I didn’t specify the duration (less than 20s of looking to total strangers and then decide this is the best time to use the elite is pretty dumb)
  2. Playing with them? LOL, and benefit someone is already something, you don’t have to benefit all the 4, i.e. you and other teammate are fighting to secure a point

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

Calling it bad now isnt really… Excusable right what has been given has shown we are being given Resistance to most things During the cast time

100% Reduced Conditional Damage
55% Reduced Direct Damage
Stability for first 2 Seconds.
Takes 2/3 interupts to break.

So no fully casting isnt Impossible, Now tempest does have capability in PvP, but i feel like it’ll be more WvW Focus’d Because:

how the Tempest is going to work will well have capability 1v1 providing ur not going to headbutt ur hardest hitting spells and hope they go off in time, during the teamfight when u will want to call on that AoE Capability ur going to need a team which actually will take notice of u using these spells and React when the team try to stop you.

you’ll also need to track what spells are being used and capable of knowing what proffessions are currently there fighting you, ur not going to want to slap on the Longest channeling One (5seconds) Against 3 Mesmers who are targetting you, Cause they’ll Just spam Mantra Disrupt you til it breaks it off of you.

REMEMBER also

Although the mechanics are pretty set, the Balancing is not, things can be buffed Just like the revenant nobody saw anything in it til they saw Shiro and things which was coming for it.

20second Lock out maybe written now, doesnt mean it’ll stay that high, imho 15seconds would be better.

Fresh air Resets Air Instantly, so just make use of the Elemental Air more as it seems to be the way its pushing us when going into this zerker build, i hope the abilities on warhorn wont be centered around using those Overloads as it isnt always possible to manage… to have those as ONLY a bonus would be nice and to see some nice Fire field Finishers to synergize, and Some mobility to make up for what we lose on the off hand Dagger.

Also like to see More Burst capability in the 8 skills

I’d just wait for tomorrow to see whats Really happening.

Fact is, Every proffession released on paper was called bad, Every Elite was raged on apart from Reaper but theres just the ongoing joke it’ll be weak and rubbish if anything NEcro is born to be the underdog of the elite speccs, to hold a specc with 0 mobility 0 leaps and Hammer Slow attacks is just going to be Kited every 5 seconds not to mention focus’d the hell out of..

Dont fear, Tempest might not be as good as Chronomancer, but it’ll never be as bad as Final result Reaper

I expect it to be terrible in 1v1 fights. I do see potential for it as an on point bunker in pvp.
For wvw its kind of a waste for on the move waters since staff water fields are normally passively blasted anyways on the engages and you still need to retreat for empowers.
All in all, I feel it is going to be overshadowed by better builds.

imho we cant possibly know that without knowing the 8 skills we get with warhorn, Zerker is the Meta and this is super Zerker focus’d with massive damage, providing the theme runs into the Abilities and aslong as the 8 skills we get are Worth it, we could be strong.

I cant see it outdoing staff on bunker though, Remember this IS our Zerker specc, this is what Every zerker build for the next 3 Years will be, We’re going to have 0 Tanky in this build, it’ll be like Playing a Thief by my thinking tbh.

its the one playstyle our Proffession is actually missing, no matter how much people say we needed sword so badly, We do not have Anything for a actual Zerker all in build, we have Just sustain and bunker builds running left right and centre, so to have this option on the board will actually be really nice.

Im waiting out to see the 8 skills tbh, It looks Melee, but we dont really know much else tbh. the Mechanics will never come out as shown now for any elite tbh, no point taking cast times and CDs etc etc into account til its release, they’ll be changed almost garunteed to the ideas just to show u what the Ability will actually do

Take everything but what the Actual effect is with a grain of salt tbh, I mean we all hated rev saying it sucked…. Yet they COMPELTELY changed it 1 day after Beta… these elites will hit Beta weekend at one point and We’ll Say if its bad or good and they’ll fix it 1 day later in the exact same order…

We’ll be fine, dont doomsday it yet.

(edited by Drayos.8759)

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

For those of you who don’t know, the current implentation of tempest’s new f1 skill is the ability to overload an attunement to gain access to pulsing skills that correlate with that attunement. Here is the catch 22, if you leave that attunement after it is overloaded, you will be locked out of that attunement.

Here is a couple problems with this idea. Sometimes an ele may unintentionally stay in the attunement too long and lose access to key skills they may need at clutch moments.

Another problem is that the overload skills can probably be interrupted, making your reason for staying in that attunement a waste and locking you out anyways.

Keep in mind, this is only my assumption of how overload will work.

If anet wants to promote single attunement play they can’t cause singularity to crutch the elementalist.

My proposed changes will make single attunement feel worthwhile and won’t prevent them from accessing water skills if they need to throw a heal down or air skills if they need to throw some cc down.

Singularity-This skill will function different from before. Now, if the elementalist stays in an attunement for more than 10 seconds, the skills in that attunement will have a reduced recharge of 25%. This skill will be affected by other reduced cooldown traits. For example, if you have -20% fire recharge from a trait, it will calulate that, then reduce that by 25%.

Yes, that means you potentionally have 15s meteors or 24s healing rains.

Overload-this now becomes a grandmaster trait that procs automatically after you reach the overload threshold. Overload fire, overload water, overload air, overload earth.

Additionally, players will not be locked out of that attunement if they need to switch out of it.

I feel this would more effectively promote single attunement play, while not crippling the concept itself.

Bad Elementalist