Sword n' Board Guardian?

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Belquerst.9783

Belquerst.9783

Hey.

I’m back to GW2 after almost 2 years pause. I’m really confused how many things have changed.. (And I really like it!)

I always enjoyed Sword+Shield builds (in every game). Is there any good build for a guardian? Maybe something like Tanky DPS?

Thanks for all tips

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Sword was good before, now it’s amazing.

Sheild has also been improved quite a bit, but it still has a defensive focus.

Not sure the weapons themselves give you ‘tanky’ DPS, but definitely sword is a very high DPS weapon now, with the right traits/stats.

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Belquerst.9783

I’d like to focus on PvE in Open World and Fractals/Dungeons..

If anyone know or have a good build, I’ll be happy to see it THanks

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

You can use sword/focus scepter/torch for dps. You can go sword/shield scepter/focus if you wana go more defenmore.

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

For general pve, you can run a full zerker dps build (zeal/radiance/dragonhunter) with sword and shield happily. However shield does draw more aggro from enemies, so in high end pve (like t4 fractals) be wary, as many things will 1 shot you. For that you could probably keep the same build but use some tankier gear (Marauders/cavaliers).

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

You can use sword/focus scepter/torch for dps. You can go sword/shield scepter/focus if you wana go more defenmore.

I’d rather change the offhands. Shield (especially #5) doesn’t harmonise that well with sword, but it’s fine with scepter.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Sword+Shield is very strong against projectiles

Fishsticks

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I’d rather change the offhands. Shield (especially #5) doesn’t harmonise that well with sword, but it’s fine with scepter.

Going sword/shield, scepter/focus creates a more even distribution of defensive skills between both weapon swaps. You get one blind (sword 2) and one block (shield 4) and on weapon swap you get another blind (focus 4) and 3 more blocks (focus 5). You get enough sustain on either weapon swap to comfortably spam your symbols without finding yourself in the uncomfortable situation of being pressured whilst your defensive weapon set is on cooldown.

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’m not sure about that. Ray of Judgement is a bouncing regen/blind, while Shield of Wrath is either two blocks and a blast or three blocks.

Shield of Judgement gives Protection and Aegis and does enough damage in an area that you’re usually not missing out on DPS by using it unless it breaks an AA chain (and Ray of Judgement has the same issue: even if you’re getting three hits on a target, it does less damage than one Sword Wave). Shield of Absorption’s knockback seems counterproductive when using a sword, but it can be used to block projectiles in the way in, or a knockback can be followed up by Zealot’s Defense as the enemy comes back in or a quick teleport by Symbol of Blades. The knockback can also be useful for setting up AoE attacks: you could, for instance, use it to knock Target A next to Target B so that both will be caught in a Symbol of Blades followup. (And it’s also good for breakbars…)

If you want raw DPS, you probably are better off using torch and/or focus. However, I think running sword/shield is occasionally advantageous for the utility that shield brings. If you’re using a scepter as your other weapon, there’s a strong argument for putting the shield with the scepter instead and running a different offhand with sword, because shield often is better at a slight distance from your enemy than right in their face – that said, there are times when it’s useful to have a knockback readily available on your melee set.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

You’re gonna wanna look into Marauder gear. For Guardian/Dragonhunter, the DPS loss is pretty much entirely negliable (6% DPS loss for a 50% gain in Max HP going full Marauder’s) and you get much-needed Vitality to make up for the Minimum Base HP that they carry.

Zeal/Radiance/Dragonhunter provides the most DPS and is the best when fighting large groups of mobs as you can consistently Blind them, but I’d suggest Zeal/Honor/Dragonhunter instead if you’re looking at taking on tougher enemies such as Champions or play 5-man instances. It gets you Vigor-on-Crit, Heal-on-Aegis and Increased Symbol Duration along with Healing Symbols (Which synergizes greatly with the Symbol traits in Zeal), alternately you can Buff your Shouts (Great for open world, just running around and fighting things or zerging) or your HP (+300 Vit and extra outgoing Healing, not really needed with Marauder gear).

However, in Dungeons/Fractals, people will expect you to either camp Hammer for Perma-Protection (Most likely) or Scepter for max DPS (Less likely that they’ll take a Guard for that DPS slot). Sword isn’t faaaaar behind Scepter iirc, but it’s still behind it in terms of DPS.

So keep a Scepter/Torch or Focus handy, alternately a Hammer. I personally like the typical cliché setup of a Sword-n-board + Longbow when running around in Open World. The Longbow’s Spike Damage and Range is a great opening attack that can take care of most weak mobs instantly.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: xelt.2386

xelt.2386

Im pretty much in same boat as you. Came back to gw2 after few years. Been going over build editors for descent build and dont want to use meta as long as i can, i guess. But i have notice that focus works better for me mainly for increase protection duration. So i came up wit this mess. Maybe others can provide us with proper build to roll with.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApd8dl0AhChY/OwRIQTEH1DldCOhQ4GApQMkHxTsJA-TxDBQB77BAkCNCDSHQAOCA8Qdg8oJAAHEgaqEUMKR2iyDZoFgZKhuwJAIIq8cw9HCAcAwv/+7v/+7oAcK-e

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Going sword/shield, scepter/focus creates a more even distribution of defensive skills between both weapon swaps.

Scepter already has massively increased defense by being a ranged weapon, which allows you to virtually shut down most melee only mobs. Against ranged mobs, shield comes to help then. On the other hand, focus defensive utility comes handy in melee range, when there’s more pressure on you anyway. Plus, it doesn’t actively counteract your sword like shield does with #5.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Belquerst.9783

You’re gonna wanna look into Marauder gear. For Guardian/Dragonhunter, the DPS loss is pretty much entirely negliable (6% DPS loss for a 50% gain in Max HP going full Marauder’s) and you get much-needed Vitality to make up for the Minimum Base HP that they carry.

Zeal/Radiance/Dragonhunter provides the most DPS and is the best when fighting large groups of mobs as you can consistently Blind them, but I’d suggest Zeal/Honor/Dragonhunter instead if you’re looking at taking on tougher enemies such as Champions or play 5-man instances. It gets you Vigor-on-Crit, Heal-on-Aegis and Increased Symbol Duration along with Healing Symbols (Which synergizes greatly with the Symbol traits in Zeal), alternately you can Buff your Shouts (Great for open world, just running around and fighting things or zerging) or your HP (+300 Vit and extra outgoing Healing, not really needed with Marauder gear).

However, in Dungeons/Fractals, people will expect you to either camp Hammer for Perma-Protection (Most likely) or Scepter for max DPS (Less likely that they’ll take a Guard for that DPS slot). Sword isn’t faaaaar behind Scepter iirc, but it’s still behind it in terms of DPS.

So keep a Scepter/Torch or Focus handy, alternately a Hammer. I personally like the typical cliché setup of a Sword-n-board + Longbow when running around in Open World. The Longbow’s Spike Damage and Range is a great opening attack that can take care of most weak mobs instantly.

I made something like that. The Zeal/Honor/DH version looks good for what I want.
Is it correct?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAseWn0ABVdiddCOdCEEhF8hqaACgzFrHivDVu9f/+H-ThRBQBA4FAYSlgJU9nMq8DP6Bsy+DAA-e

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Coinhead.7591

Coinhead.7591

Consider Scholar runes for more damage. Also Sigils of Force don’t stack, so get something like a sigil of air.

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Plus, it doesn’t actively counteract your sword like shield does with #5.

Shield of Absorption does no damage, so why would you be activating it when it’s not beneficial for you in the first place? The heal alone is negligible, you are only using this to break stunbars.

Sword n' Board Guardian?

in Guardian

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

I made something like that. The Zeal/Honor/DH version looks good for what I want.
Is it correct?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAseWn0ABVdiddCOdCEEhF8hqaACgzFrHivDVu9f/+H-ThRBQBA4FAYSlgJU9nMq8DP6Bsy+DAA-e

I swapped around some things I would do differently:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAseTn8cClChddCmDBkdil4BTe/FATgVBgHQ9CbJ8f2CA-TxRBQBP4EAQj9HMpSQ8oPAAPAgEq+TGV+BA-e

Btw, never use staff unless you are in a zerg that moves a lot between places. Most notable places to use it are Silverwastes after killing VW and WvW zerging.

And my personal Open World build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAsfTn8cClChddCmDBkdiF/hSO8H/33KAqg6MLCrwLE-TRCBQB5RfAWUecGlgCc/BA8EA0iSMFq+DDOEAQ4EAAA-e

Either way, “Retreat” and JI are mainly for mobility. Sword #2 and #3 comboed will kill trashmobs before you are done channeling 3. Only recommend these for Open World roaming, not dungeons or fractals.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.