Ranger Changes on July 23, 2013

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

Ranger:

• Entangle: Updated the damage and bleeding skill facts to properly display their actual effects.
  • Rapid Fire: This skill now applies vulnerability on each hit.
  • Hunter’s Shot: This skill no longer applies vulnerability on each hit, but now grantss the ranger stealth for 3 seconds.
  • Point Blank Shot: Increased the range from 600 to 900.
  • Maul: This skill now applies vulnerability instead of bleeding.
  • Counterattack—Crippling Throw: This skill can now be used while moving. Increased the cripple duration to 5 seconds.
  • Whirling Defense: This skill now grants 4 seconds of retaliation for the duration of the skill.
  • Call of the Wild: This skill is now a blast finisher.
  • Remorseless: This trait now reapplies Opening Strike when the ranger gains stealth or kills an enemy.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/july-23-content-release-notes/

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

These are really great changes

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Ranger

Posted by: idevourwater.3149

idevourwater.3149

It’s the best!!!! I love it!

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

Stealth and a blast finisher in the same patch! Remorseless got buffed too! Hellooo opening strikes every 12 seconds!

I feel the ANet love <3

The vulnerability is now spread out across 10 shots instead of one shot, so having it blocked isn’t as big of a deal as it was before, and Rapid Fire now has a reason to be used even at 1000+ range.

Hunter’s Shot now has synergy with Remorseless(!), and rangers have an effective stealth that isn’t a trait!

PBS got a buff with that range increase.

And probably the biggest update yet: player controlled Blast Finisher!

Discuss.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Pakki.4175

Pakki.4175

YESSSS

AT LAST THE BLAST FINISHER!!!!! IN THE HAND OF RANGER XD

but really, I’m glad that they didn’t nerf anything on ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Best patch ever…Im so kitten happy right now

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

excellent! finally! bravo anet!

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Are these for real? Sounds too good to be true!

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

great… After playing my toon one way since the start of the game, yesterday I did a complete respect armor and all to change how I play and now this…. great…

I suppose I should be happy…

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Croustibat.7035

Croustibat.7035

BRB, going to craft a longbow !

Excellent stuff.

in Ranger

Posted by: Meeks.1079

Meeks.1079

Just need to take the range requirement off the longbow and it will be perfect.

in Ranger

Dardamaniac.1295

Honestly this almost gave me heart attack,i didnt expecting such good changes to happen before the PAX….

in Ranger

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Not played my Ranger since reading last months patch notes…

But 3 secs stealth on a 12 sec cooldown is probably enough to try my Ranger out again…

But this is just trying to make amends for last months Ranger horror show least we forget…

in Ranger

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

I honestly don’t see the point of giving stealth to Hunter’s Shot. IMO, it would be perfect for the shortbow after the range nerf, but the longbow is meant to be used at very long range, where it’s easier to avoid ranged attacks, and it already has a counter against melee attacks in Point Blank Shot.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Ranger

Posted by: Sam.6483

Sam.6483

Can’t believe it yet. Easier to believe I messed up the dates and now is 1 April then rangers got buff. And that was not enough but 3 sec stealth on longbow!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Diehard.1432

Diehard.1432

REBIRTH OF THE MIGHTY LONGBOW!

ALL HAIL THE LONGBOW!

Garuda X, lvl 80 human Siamoth Ranger JQ SEA
[VaL]

in Ranger

jubskie.3152

I honestly don’t see the point of giving stealth to Hunter’s Shot. IMO, it would be perfect for the shortbow after the range nerf, but the longbow is meant to be used at very long range, where it’s easier to avoid ranged attacks, and it already has a counter against melee attacks in Point Blank Shot.

It’s a tie-up to the Remorseless buff. Remorseless and LB now work so well together it’s gonna be a tough choice between SotBM and Remorseless for LB rangers!

Also, it’s ANet’s solution to the LB having no way to defend itself.

Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Can it be true? Ranger has a finally received a good set of patch notes?

We have waited 8 years brothers and sisters!

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

I think the logic is that those 3 seconds of stealth allow you to regain range, Point Blank Shot only really buys you a couple of seconds. I think it’s a really good change, in combination with greatsword swoop you have great escape tactics now.

Also, let’s not forget the change to Maul. They don’t say how much vulnerability this skill will apply, but it should improve GS autoattack damage and hopefully overall GS damage output.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

The shortbow already has Quick Shot, Crippling Shot, and Concussion Shot, that can all help you escape if you need to. The longbow only has a knockback. Further more, the longbow is a direct damage weapon, which means that your second hand weapon set will most likely be greatsword or sword. So the longbow defiantly needs the stealth.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

I think the logic is that those 3 seconds of stealth allow you to regain range, Point Blank Shot only really buys you a couple of seconds. I think it’s a really good change, in combination with greatsword swoop you have great escape tactics now.

Also, let’s not forget the change to Maul. They don’t say how much vulnerability this skill will apply, but it should improve GS autoattack damage and hopefully overall GS damage output.

Looking at the amount of vuln we might be able to apply now between GS, LB and remorseless, I am going to guess that is the next thing sPvPers will complain about.

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

It’s a tie-up to the Remorseless buff. Remorseless and LB now work so well together it’s gonna be a tough choice between SotBM and Remorseless for LB rangers!

Also, it’s ANet’s solution to the LB having no way to defend itself.

Yeah, Remorseless is definitely more appealing now. I still doubt it will be able to oust SotB for me though, I’ll have to play around with it a bit and see. It’d be hard to give up stability and invulnerability.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilandros.2098

Kilandros.2098

Stealth for Ranger is an AWESOME addition.

But why wasn’t it put on SB?

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

I honestly thought these were fake when I first read them.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

NargofWoV.4267

“The shortbow already has Quick Shot, Crippling Shot, and Concussion Shot, that can all help you escape if you need to. "

Two-three posts up.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

Looking at the amount of vuln we might be able to apply now between GS, LB and remorseless, I am going to guess that is the next thing sPvPers will complain about.

It’ll be great in dungeons, vulnerability is really strong in party combat.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

G kittening G. AMAZING buffs.

in Ranger

Posted by: hyjaxxx.1584

hyjaxxx.1584

All we need is a Smoke Field now and this blast finisher from horn will be sexy time! Aoe Stealth coming from a ranger would be totally amazing, and really fits in with the ranger class.

its nice to see ranger notes going the right direction. But just so rangers everywhere dont get over confident the long bow has been nerfed to 400 range….hehe.

awesome changes guys! even though you couldnt put a bow in my hand for a million bucks i know lots of you guys are getting some long needed lovins!

Whoajaxx the Ranger
Re-Port331,331R,DD331,Re-portV
Currently looking for wvw guild@henge

in Ranger

Meeks.1079

The most important part of these changes is now the Longbow really has skills that synergize with each other, and with your traits, to provide a way for player skill to take the weapon to the next level.

On the other hand the shortbow is still barely changed by traits and is left auto attacking constantly and using 2-5 situationally. The shortbow has been using its damage as a crutch for a poorly designed weapon since day one. They nerfed auto attack damage because they wanted us to do something other than just auto attack, but have yet to provide that something.

in Ranger

Dardamaniac.1295

Every change is awesome,i never thought that Axe offhand was a bad weapon but now its so good….Is the patch live yet?

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

While longbow will most certainly be more fun now and the added utility might actually make it good, the class as a whole still doesn’t do that well with power builds imo. Poor trait layout and a complete lack of ranged burst in addition to the mostly single target damage is still an enormous problem for this class.

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

Ditto. And I’d rather not rain on anyone’s parade, but we’re not out of the whole yet, though we are climbing out with everything we’ve got.

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

It’ll be great in dungeons, vulnerability is really strong in party combat.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Won’t get us into the speed clears but pugs might want us along now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Grayback.7148

Grayback.7148

Ditto. And I’d rather not rain on anyone’s parade, but we’re not out of the whole yet, though we are climbing out with everything we’ve got.

Also thought they were fake or again some kind of wishlist from someone…
But, ok, I like it, gonna have to try GS/LB when the changes are online. Vulnerability everywhere…

in Ranger

NargofWoV.4267

One thing for certain, removing of agro by using stealth will make the LB the weapon of choice for leveling. Wonder if it will work that way in Dungeons.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

Oooh… retaliation and stealth. Two things I’ve been getting from my Siamoth but can now get elsewhere.

in Ranger

Posted by: Oidmetala.8426

Oidmetala.8426

finaly i can write it

THANK YOU ANET

i think it need some more fixes on ranger in future, but this is now finaly a good one
now some condi removal maybe also when not skill in wildnes survive would be nice :P
and not passiv ones

Team Erotic Solitude Legends [ESL]
Spirit Ranger Yilvina Darnus
Bunker Guardian Morwenna Darnus

(edited by Oidmetala.8426)

in Ranger

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Already extremely defensive?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

0.o

Today we hunt!

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: AydenStar.4216

AydenStar.4216

OMG Anet you are the best!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Stealth is an insanely powerful defensive skill so having it on the longbow is probably going to be a huge bonus. Not only does it help avoid damage, it helps you reposition to make use of the longbow’s strengths. Unlike a thief, the ranger has a pet which can continue to DPS throughout the stealth’s duration, so the longbow might become much more viable in PvP with this change. In PvE it doesn’t hurt either.

The ability to renew remorseless while in combat without relying on a kill is something this mechanic needed to prevent it from being almost pointless 95% of the time. It’s weapon specific so it’s not that big a change, still, longbow contributes to a group better than before and it has more survivability. This should have come before the shortbow nerf, the shortbow wouldn’t have needed the nerf if they were actively fixing the longbow.

Blast finishers are awesome. Having one on the warhorn is really nice. I can see this fitting into the meta nicely (especially given the strengths of the warhorn as a buffing tool already).

They finally removed that kittenty bleed from maul. The great sword is a power weapon, I’m glad ArenaNet realised that. I would have prefered a blast finisher, but vulnerability is still good (especially with its short cooldowns). Vulnerability is a great way to help your group.

I’m still not a fan of off-hand axe, especially now that it competes with a blast finisher. If my group needs reflection, I’d be amazed if we didn’t have a guardian or a mesmer, two classes that do it better. If I need the reflection it’s there, but I doubt I will be running axe with this change.

What happened the PvE spirit and pet survivability buffs they talked about in the lat SotG?

This is a good patch for ranger, but it follows on the heals of the abomination that was pet DPS and shortbow range nerfs. Still, they delivered on power weapons and stealth rangers are going to be a lot of fun to play with.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

T_T I’m just so…happy!

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

My mouth literally dropped open. After all this time, I did not think it would happen.
These are some very good very necessary additions to our profession.

A blast finisher on our standard WvW weapon? Friggin awesome! Cripple on the move? Finally! And for a decent amount of time, too! Oh man I’m gonna enjoy this so much. And the longbow, ahhhh, it just got buffed good. There’s finally a real point (pun intended) to start using it again.

This. Is. A. Good. Day. Thank you for listening Anet.

in Ranger

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Dont think this will make me switch to longbow for PvE though.. not yet >_>

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

Guaranteed crit every 12 secs that also applies vulnerability. It sicks the pet on your target, while you go stealth. This is really awesome!

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Not a single nerf and some very welcome buffs…someone pinch me.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Ranger

Meeks.1079

Big issue in pve for longbow is still that to be close enough to your group to get aoe buffs you are too close to do good auto attack damage. Get rid of the range requirement!

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I’m giddy right now…SO GIDDY! THANK YOU ANET! THANK YOU!

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Wow amazing patch, thanks anet <3

in Ranger

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Among other benefits the stealth on hunters also let’s you cast the beginning of barrage without detection.