[Feedback] on Revenant Beta

in Revenant

Posted by: krzysiek.9061

krzysiek.9061

1. Trait
Corruption
* Venom enhancement – Revenant doesn’t make any posion attack, even with weapon. Useless trait. Forget. I’m an idiot.

Invocation

• Shrouding mists – most traits from that trait line are about damage not healing, IMO it doesn’t fit

2. Skills

• Empowering misery - consume conditions would kill build about copying your conditions but without that it’s useless (IMO). What about giving Resistance after healing?
  • Vengeful hammers -remove casting time.
  • Banish Enchantment - that skill encourages you to spam it; instead of applying confusion and removing boons, apply confusion per removed boon (max 5). Remove bonus confusion.

3. Ventari
I used cleric’s set and it was amazing to be a monk. I really need that. I love my hammer/ventari combo.
I understand that Ventari’s tablet wasn’t made to moves with you. It would be impossible to help your team without going to them. People cry about that but please, don’t change it. I needed a time to get used to moving your ventari’s tablet but now it’s not a problem.

But:

• Range for #6 tablet moving is really too short.
  • Natural Harmony – radius is too small
  • With 2 different energy it’s impossible to let the tablet stays after swapping to another legend but is it possible to cast tablet automatically after swapping to Ventari legend?

Weapon
Staff

• dmg is still too low
  • Warding rift – WR should send projectile back to its source; longer duration – 3 sec

Hammer and sword

• Sword damage it too low
  • Intended or not not, I’m still taking damage while leaping through the Mists with Phase Smash and Unrelenting Assault.

Energy
I really don’t like it. IMO cooldowns would be better. Yes, GW1 had energy system but not like this one. My ideas:

• Remove energy system (the best idea)
  • Remove energy from weapons; only cooldowns [THIS!]
  • Make one energy bar for the Revenant not for the legend; with that, make the energy to stay always at 100%.
  • Lower the energy costs. Impossible odds for example, with that stance I can make only few hits?
  • Slow down and lower the energy costs with specific traits.

Revenant:
Lack of swiftness, condi removal, stun breaker (change your legend -really?), boons. You need to work on that.
But Rev will be my main even if he’ll suck after the release. I love healing and I love the idea of battlemage. Thank you for that class.

But I’m worried about one thing. Is Glint specialization going to be another legend? Nobody says that specialization changes your class mechanic but… Necro got GS and new shroud, engi will get hammer to close combat, dh got bow and traps, thief will get staff, druid will get nature magic and staff – you see? It’s something different. What about us? Are we going to get another legend, and then another legend too? Sounds boring. Maybe with Cantha we’ll get a ritualist specialization with ghost spamming. And that sounds different.

Sorry for my english. I did my best.

(edited by krzysiek.9061)

in Revenant

Posted by: Draeyon.4392

Draeyon.4392

My thoughts of Revenant based on playing it solely in WvW (mostly roaming gank).
Revenant was fun to play. Mostly stuck with S/S and used Hammer as I need to (for range or reflect).

• Hammer was relatively slow but I guess it makes up for it with its big bursts (2 and 5 I think?)
  • Sword damage seems reasonable if you can hit Unrelenting Assault (easily telegraphed though) though other threads have stated that it can be buggy at times. Would love a chain skill after activation to stop the assault mid way since an enemy can move back towards his friends and thus pulls me with them.
  • Btw, I was refering to Sword damage vs a single target. Damage seems to scale better for the Revenant the less people there are, same with self sustain.
  • Sword utility is also good. Good CC’s if you can hit the skills.
  • Damage mitigation is there and in somewhat plenty supply, it just requires a bit of know-how but the energy cost debate can be left to others.
  • Stability: Please add a source of self stability (i.e. a 5 stack skill). Wasting a dodge or standing in Inspiring Reinforcement can be deadly in WvW. Maybe add it as a skill to the last Legend?
  • Movement/Swiftness: Revenant sorely lacks any source of swiftness. I ran Traveler runes during the weekend but having to solely rely on them for speed decreases build diversity. Mobility wise is great while in combat but having to rely on a target can be frustrating. Adding a leap skill or an aoe teleport (such as shadow step/blink/lightning flash) would help greatly with Revenant movement.
  • Energy Depletion Out Of Combat: Can you please change the way energy is depleted when you just leave combat? I get that it should be something built up while you are fighting but instantly losing half your combat/survival pool simply because you were out of combat for 1second seems a bit absurd to me. Anyway it could be changed so you lose it at the same speed you gain it maybe?
  • Also boons in general seem to be a bit lacking but this could just be how I played the Revenant over the weekend. Will be enthusiastically awaiting the next weekend since the last Legend looks like it is going to be revealed this week.

That seems to be it from me. Can’t remember anything else that I noticed.

(Listing what I ran simply so people can inform me if my suggestions are already available as a different playstyle)
Legends: Shiro + Jalis
Weapons: Varied between Sword/Axe + Staff to Sword/Sword + Hammer
Traits: http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgYFfAKsA5w~
Equipment: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAscCA-ThRLwAvUi9Q9ns7PAQfANlExUOQKgIWGB-e About 3k less health since its the warrior template.

in Revenant

Posted by: NiBlack.3149

NiBlack.3149

Ok most was being said.

Ventari legend is only about healing. It could use other defensive stuff.
Also doubling time on elite shards (and maybe trait ones) would be nice, also faster cast (because even after cast people still need to pick up shards).
Too much micro managment with healing, and relocating. I found that in more mobile fights I am better to stay with Shiro for healing (…over healing spec… … …).

Shiro is nice one, but for more zerg fights I found it to be more useful to be stun bot (it made me sad when I read that Impact sigils don’t work with it). Super speed was great, especially since Revenant lacks of movement speed.

Jalis because hammer were disabled when near cliffs/walls, then only road was nice… so I didn’t stay much with it.

Hammer was very nice weapon (way better than enginer’s mortar). While a bit slow. I really liked self combo of wall of mist + auto attack (I found base healing a bit low). Wall of mist could be 1s longer. Also skill 2 should be possible to cancel in mid animation.

Staff I also spent lot of time using it. And I quite liked it. Skill 2 need to be changed or at least added 0.25 s daze/stun/interupt for first attack, and 2s knockdown on second attack. For now it is I am looking for big attack and MAYBE I will be able to finish casting before it go off, and MAYBE weakness will work, and MAYBE enemy won’t kill me (too much maybes). Skill 3 could be 1s longer block. Skill 4 have to big energy cost. Skill 5 can be a bit too much niche.

As most stated all “throught the mist” attacks (sword 3, hammer 2, staff 5) are quite deceptive. They look like you should be evading while doing them, but unfortunately you are fully targetable, and receive full dmg. This is more painful because you cannot cancel these attacks. While adding evasion cold be a bit OP (still smokescales have evasion), then at least add a bit dmg resistance/invisibility while casting.

in Revenant

Posted by: nicodemus.3812

nicodemus.3812

• Movement/Swiftness: Revenant sorely lacks any source of swiftness. I ran Traveler runes during the weekend but having to solely rely on them for speed decreases build diversity. Mobility wise is great while in combat but having to rely on a target can be frustrating. Adding a leap skill or an aoe teleport (such as shadow step/blink/lightning flash) would help greatly with Revenant movement.

You do have a source of 100% uptime swiftness. Inspiring Reinforcement and hammer 3,5 blast finishers with rune of the pack will keep it up. It pushes you to hammer and Jalis though.

in Revenant

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

What about animations? I know they pretty and all but waaaaay too flashy. This is a pvp concern cuz anybody will dodge sword 3 for example, your main and only gap closer.

Meanwhile super important skills like corrupt boon, dark path have very generic animations that are identical to staff skills and some things like overcharge shot have no animation at all.

This is also about other classes which got flashy stuff with the new specs as well.

It is kinda funny how for a while every skill got the pindown whirly animation treatment and now all this.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kastiel.1947

Kastiel.1947

Can people stop saying Revs have 12 utility skills ? As of now they have 20 with 10 being active at a time , and with Glint coming this week that’s gonna be 25 with 10 selectable at a time – a pretty good selection , even if they are locked in too sets(legends) of 5 ( which I find enjoyable for differention sake). Other classes must also lockin 5 utilities at a time , but they can choose which ones, we can’t hence we get 10 – simple, fun, fair and different . So please once , just once be cool and stop nagging. Also saw a post bout this , but please don’t remove the bright green from Shiro quickness – IMO looks sweet

in Revenant

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

Something I noticed playing Revenant is that staff skill #4 (Renewing Wave) does not always seem to clears conditions on yourself. Not sure if it’s due to moving during the aftercast or whatever. But it’s kind of annoying getting downed because your condi cleanse doesn’t work reliably.

I actually stopped using staff because of that. I thought it only cleansed conditions on allies. Guess it was a bug o.o

in Revenant

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

Can people stop saying Revs have 12 utility skills ? As of now they have 20 with 10 being active at a time , and with Glint coming this week that’s gonna be 25 with 10 selectable at a time – a pretty good selection , even if they are locked in too sets(legends) of 5 ( which I find enjoyable for differention sake). Other classes must also lockin 5 utilities at a time , but they can choose which ones, we can’t hence we get 10 – simple, fun, fair and different . So please once , just once be cool and stop nagging. Also saw a post bout this , but please don’t remove the bright green from Shiro quickness – IMO looks sweet

Skill #6 and #0 are Healing and Elite and no utilities - if you count that way you also have to count the heals and elites of other classes to compare

the problem is that you’re stuck with utils that you don’t need in the situation you’re in or with the gameplay you choose (and this for ALL Legends) . I Don’t need a shadowstep to target if i run hammer as well as Jade winds in any PvE Situation also i don’t need a ventari shield in CoE or a Displacement in CoF -> just some examples

The Rev coult totally need 2 additional skills per legend – the main idea is still the same but you still can customize your utils for your gameplay and for the current situation.
You shall not be able to choose what you want like all classes – but at least a little bit of tweaking should be possible.

(edited by Loex.5104)

in Revenant

Posted by: zanzoken.7698

zanzoken.7698

First thanks for this awesome class Roy and everybody behind it! I had a blast playing it. Since I mostly played pvp with the class, this would be what I am talking about. Here is a list I would like to see improved on.

Energy Managment

Problem: Too high energy costs, especially noticable after adding weapon swap to the class. Sometimes you are in the middle of fight and only have auto attack available. Then the only option you have to swap legends which forces you to adapt a different play style which you possible dont need at this moment.
Possible Solution: Remove energy costs from weapon skills since they already have cooldown as “punishment”. Or reduce overall energy costs. Also reduce the legend swap cooldown to 5 sec or less.

Minor Problem: Upkeep skills are to unrewarding.
Possible Solution: Reduce the energy drain.

Missing OOC Mobilty

Problem: Except legend swapping with Shiro and spamming super speed (which I belive was unintentional), the revenant felt really slow and I had a hard time to catch up, since there are no kind of teleport and almost no swiftness.
Possible Solution: Keep the superspeed legend swapping and add swiftness to weapons.

Weak heals and few boons

Problem: Shiro heal is almost useless and ventari is not practicable in and out of combat (see ventari section). Other than that the revenant has only few option in regards of boons but tons of resistance (maybe a bit too much).
Possible Solution: Make heals stronger add more boons to utilities.

Ventari legend unusable in pvp

Problem: Ventari legend needs to much micromanagment and offers to few reward.
Possible Solution: Personaly I would prefer a complete rework of this legend. Maybe make the Tablet stick around the revenant and make it possible to attach it to players. If a rework is not feasable then remove the energy cost and cooldown of moving the tablet. Otherwise I wont see a reason to use this legend since gw2 is so focused on mobilty in combat.

Unrelenting assault

Problem: The camera panes at the very last attack to the player. This is especially confusing if the enemy teleports away out of the screens focus. You often find yourself in a bad position and you have to orientate yourself again. Also it should be an evade skills because this skills makes it unusable in aoe fights.
Possible Solution: Add Evade and let the camera follow the player after each teleport.

Necessity for some legends

Problem: Since some legends fullfil some roles, you feel the need to always equip legends like shiro. Without shiro you lose almost all of your ooc and in combat mobility, which makes some fights impossible as a melee centered character.
Possible Solution: Preferably add more utility skills to each legend (too much development time but would be awesome ). Another way would be to add more boons, see above.

Staff 2 skill to weak

Problem: Staff 2 feels to weak and unrewarding.
Solution: Add chill or cripple instead of weakness.

Banish Enchantment

Problem: This could be a problem of the user instead of the system. But I always felt this skill did not connect and had the feeling that I missed with it since I saw no confusion.
Possible Solution: Reduce the casttime.

Inspiring Reinforcement

Problem: Cool skill and cool animation but way too slow.
Possible Solution: Make the skill activation quicker.

No viable options for disengaging

Problem: If you need to disengage a fight you have nearly no tools to do so. Again missing of Swiftness and Teleport/Leap skills make it hard to disengage a fight. The only option is to use superspeed but that alone is not viable enough to disengage a fight.
Possible Solution: Add more leap/teleport skill. Make “Phase Traversal” work without a target.

Legends missing they general purpose

Problem: If you switch your legend you dont immediatly feel that you have become the legend. No legend specific events trigger.
Possible Solution: Add legend specific passiv effects. E.g. make Shiro give you 25% increased run speed or Jalis give you 10% less physical damage (remove 10% from the elite in this case) and so on. This would give the player a immediate feedback that they switched to this legend.

For now this is all I can remember. But I will update this post if I have more issues.

Thanks for reading all of this

(edited by zanzoken.7698)

in Revenant

Posted by: Egron Redmoon.5764

Egron Redmoon.5764

Something I noticed playing Revenant is that staff skill #4 (Renewing Wave) does not always seem to clears conditions on yourself. Not sure if it’s due to moving during the aftercast or whatever. But it’s kind of annoying getting downed because your condi cleanse doesn’t work reliably.

I actually stopped using staff because of that. I thought it only cleansed conditions on allies. Guess it was a bug o.o

The description states it “heals and removes conditions on allies”, but I’m 100% I have seen it remove conditions on myself too, but it’s pretty unreliable in that aspect. I haven’t looked into if/how the healing part applies to you and/or allies. I see 2 possible bugs here:

• It is not supposed to affect you, only allies, but it sometimes does or,
  • It is supposed to affect you but it does not work all the time.

If bug no1 is the case here, that makes staff #4 a pretty terrible skill, since it’s not even self-affecting and therefore useless in any solo situation. Not to mention the rooting…

in Revenant

Posted by: nicodemus.3812

nicodemus.3812

The description states it “heals and removes conditions on allies”, but I’m 100% I have seen it remove conditions on myself too, but it’s pretty unreliable in that aspect. I haven’t looked into if/how the healing part applies to you and/or allies. I see 2 possible bugs here:

• It is not supposed to affect you, only allies, but it sometimes does or,
  • It is supposed to affect you but it does not work all the time.

If bug no1 is the case here, that makes staff #4 a pretty terrible skill, since it’s not even self-affecting and therefore useless in any solo situation. Not to mention the rooting…

I noticed it didnt work on myself a few times when I had blind, but worked at other times without blind.

in Revenant

Posted by: Brit.9726

Brit.9726

I posted mine here, but it goes with what everyone else is saying tbh: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/BWE1-Revenant-Feedback-Suggestions/

This class has alot of potential, and the changes to add Weapon Swap, Legend Swap being instant, Shiro etc is helping it get to that sweet-spot.

FYI I’m talking from a WvW/vs. Player PoV, not PvE – frankly I have no feedback to give regarding that mode so I won’t.

BUT there’s a few things missing, mainly 2(maybe 4) things that I can point out right now.

1) Energy Management – this is always something you have to get used to managing, and finding a good rotation around your Energy up-keeps is something we all have to find eventually; like Thieves and their initiative. But unlike Thieves, and esp. now that we have a Weapon Swap – EVERYTHING we do practically costs Energy. This is a huge problem. Not only that, but we have Energy costs ON TOP OF Cooldowns to manage, which makes for alot of potential Sustain fighting with the added Burst a nightmare.

My Workaround: What I ended up doing is keeping to one Weapons Set and only swaping if I REALLY needed to, and I mean in dire situations.

SOLUTION: as being currently discussed here, either have our Utilities consume Energy, or our Weapon Skills… but not both. Increase the CD’s of those not using Energy if you think a change like that could make the Class OP if you will, and we’ll test it out for you and we can see how it works, but I really think this would be a decent solution to my Energy problem.

2) Shiro DPS – so far I found this to be slightly weak right now, esp. Sword3. IDK if it’s just me, although a Guild member of mine did echo the same thing – but I feel like there’s some DPS missing when using Sword. Maybe this has something to do with managing the Energy system where at times you find yourself in a situation where you can’t use certain skills because you’re out of Energy, but I think either the Sword or Traits need to be looked at more regarding it’s DPS. To give you an idea of what I mean: in terms of DPS/Burst classes, that can also sustain fights too… there are better classes out there that can simply do that alot better so why bother picking a Revenant for a Burst DPS build atm?

While I’m on the subject of Shiro, there are 2 other points I feel weakens this class, using a Build surrounding Shiro… though the first one could be mitigated if the Damage was boosted on Sword (or even a complete change of Skill); 1) the Heal skill, 2) a lack of independent Retreat:

• 1. The Heal skill seems weak, but I think mainly because of what I talked about before regarding both the Energy and Damage on Sword/Shiro… so it would seem like I’m not stealing much Health back.
  • 2. Again, speaking from a WvW/vs. Player perspective, our Teleport’s are targeted, and we only have a stun-break backwards Evade. It’s hard for me to use this Legend currently in a situation going hard as a mofo in fights, deep behind enemy positions, get a burst going and retreat safely away without blowing some major Energy usage omw. Mesmers, Thieves, Warriors even without Stealth can also achieve this… Shiro Rev’s atm no so much. We need a “Blink” or smth similar, something to go HAM with. To give you an idea what it’s like now, it’s like playing an Assassin Champ in LoL, WITHOUT Flash. But ofc this leads me to my final Revenant point…

3. Locked Utilities – I’m fine with locking Utilities if you want to go down that route with this Class, but do you have to deny choices in our Utilities BECAUSE we are currently on a certain Legend? On top of that, each Legend has no multiple options for Utilities so we’re forced to using the same three… and our Opponents will know EXACTLY what we have on our skill-bar if they just see our Legend icon. I mean I can look at other Classes and frankly have no idea what skills they have exactly, With Rev, you know not only the skills, but also the Traits too – all because things seemed tied to each other, so there seems to be little room for diversity. Like I said, IDM the locked Utilities to the Legend you’re currently on, but a few options of Utility choices would be awesome. Weapons also seemed to be tied heavily to Legends but not as much, and with the recent changes to the other weapons before Shiro, it’s slowly breaking away from that Trend.

I had more to talk about, but I forgot some things while writing this down, but I’ll keep adding my feedback to this Thread as and when it comes up.

Chrono B R I T – Mesmer
Furious Cookies [FURY]http://www.furious-gamers.org/
Desolation EU

(edited by Brit.9726)

in Revenant

Posted by: Ackos.7942

Ackos.7942

I really had fun with the revenant. But i have a few things I didn’t really like.

Sword/Sword:
Auto attack: During the chain, there are many damage numbers (around 4). I found this distracting, because I couldn’t see all the numbers clearly so I did not know how much damage I did. A solution is to at the damage numbers of the additional attacks to the normal attacks.
Sword 2: Didn’t really feel usefull in pve.
Sword 3: This skill is lacking something. Increase the damage to a level as hundred blades from a warrior, maybe a bit less. Or make it an evade, I prefer the damage option.
Sword 4: Make it possible to cancel it to change it in an attack or gain some energy. Make it something like counter blow (warrior), or riposte (warrior) or Counterattack (ranger).
Sword 5: A fun skill, but it would be more fun if you can use it at a longer range (600) to use it as a gap closer. You use it, you shadow step to the target, you stab it and pull it back through the mist.

Shiro
Heal: like it, the 1 second interval is a bit long, but doesn’t really have to be changed.
Impossible odds: let us use it permanently out of combat or give Phase Traversal a passive effect of 25% movement speed and a cooldown (20+ seconds).
Phase Traversal: see above.
Jade Winds: Like the idea, not really usefull in pve, but fun. The only thing i would change is the coloring of the effected enemies into the color of the enchanted daggers. The enemies are more grey than jade.

Ventari
I like the idea, but I found it distracting use the tablet during a fight.
A change to the tablet would make it better. Let follow the player and make skill 6 to let it move to a certain place like now and after that change the skill to let it return to you.
Or an other idea is make the tablet something like a kit that also change the first 5 skills. The first 5 skills would other type of skills, like summon roots or summoning a seed turrent and as main attack something like a aoe pulls around the tablet.

And a last a small thing:
Summoning of the tablet: make it a ground target skill, like the moving of the tablet.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

Quoting myself from a different topic:

I’ve tried revenant with Marauder amulet with all the weapons and the overall impression of it is that

—It is a lot of fun.(Might main it since S/D thief is being neglected by balance patches ;( )

—It’s very hard to disengage.

—Very squishy sadly and since hammer is so inversatile, you have to spam the teleport field in mallyx stance to keep all the melee away from you and keep autohitting. This hardcounters warriors and classes that don’t have strong ranged damage but it is quite cheesy and one-sided as a playstyle. It’s also weird that it teleports out players from the whole capture point even if they have stability so (even if it hurts me to say it) it is too powerful in this form. Perhaps let stability ignore it. Otherwise hammer is really getting rekt by melee AND ranged, I feel that the hammer skill 3 (leap) should give you the option to stay at the location you have leapt to. It could be like Sword 4 in a sense that it changes into a different skill after use.
Hammer 4 ought to block ANY ranged attack that comes from outside your shield this skil is completely useless against i.e. mesmers as it is now and they already hard counter revenants.
Hammer 5 is so slow that you literally get murdered by the time you cast it and then they also have time to dodge it -.-". This skill should be sped up tremendously.
Hammer skill are easy to dodge and with their slow nature also easy to blind or block them, while it deals big chunks of dmg on each auto-hit it is very slow so the overall dps is alright thus these hammer buffs would make lots of sense especially since its currently the only ranged option.
Sword 3 should grant evasion because revenant is very squishy overall and especially while channeling that, you can’t dodge or choose where to go. It also should attack only your target and after it stealths or dies, only then engage on a different foe. Maybe if you deliberately change target during cast it could swap the skill’s target too as a fun mechanic.
Perma resistance in mallyx stance(with the resistance trait+utility 1) is the other reason that made revenant viable in the beta weekend but it hard counters pure condi builds just too much in my opinion. DD eles still laugh at it and other hybrid builds because you have to use up almost all your energy to keep that up and they outdamage you through physical means.
Staff 4 could bear an AoE blinding effect added to it. Thematically the dust it creates in the air could blind people but the main reason is that you take more damage while you cast it than you actually heal due to the fact you are rooted during this time.

(edited by Kicker.8203)

in Revenant

Kicker.8203

I agree that it feels unfun that weapon skills consume energy. Often times you can only auto attack because you need to have your stunbreak in shiro ready or you have to keep up the mallyx teleport field.(or any other utility). Having CDs on them is enough… If it becomes too powerful nerf it in an other way maybe slower energy regen or a bit higher cd on wep skills but let us use weapon skills.

EDIT: now after thinking about it there is no need to remove energy from weapons just make them much more impactful and put CDs on certain utilites that you would spamm all the time in some situations(unyielding anguish, resistance skill, shiro stunbreak and perma stability skill)

(edited by Kicker.8203)

in Revenant

krzysiek.9061

Also, a word about downed state. I can’t control #2 skill. It would be great if it worked with camera direction. And I had a big problems with that skill in PvP, especially Skyhammer (at mid point, point B, I guess). Sometimes, that skill instead of teleports your enemy away, teleports your enemy to you. It happens more often, if there is an obstacle around you.

in Revenant

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I think the energy problems people are having is basically because of too much mashing. Over item people will learn to conserve their energy or burst it when they feel it’s safe too. What’s good about it is that it allows for both types of play. Burst or sustain.

Another thing is that I don’t think people are swapping legends enough. It’s a free 50 energy people aren’t utilizing.

Then again, it’s Anets job to make each stance somewhat appealing, and more utilities for each legend would help with that. :P

… I still want tengu.

(edited by Hammerguard.9834)

in Revenant

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I seem to be the only one to actually like the idea of energy management, it’s really interesting!

As a WvW player, the only changes I’d like to see

Weapons

• Sword 3: First of all, it needs a bit more range. Why can I go through the Mists really far with the hammer but not with the sword? 1200 range would be too much, but 450 is way too short. 600 at least, 900 at best. Also, add and evade, because it’s really useless when enemy attacks focus on you (you’re down before you lay the 3rd strike). Also, it fails easily on uneven terrain.
  • Staff: Change the stance please… I know we use it as a melee, but it looks SO heavy and clumsy… (that’s just a personal opinion ^^)

Skills

• Enchanted Daggers: Slightly buff the initial heal, because the jade daggers heal is a bit too insignificant to cope with enemy attacks, as if the heal wan’t useful at all. Also, another heal would be better, like Battle Scars or Meditation of the Reaper, similar to the warrior’s Defiant Stance or the guardian’s Renewed Focus. ED is a bit meh…
  • Forced Engagement: It’s just too expensive to be quite ineffective, just that simple.
  • Rite of the Great Dwarf: A bit too slow to cast, 2 1/4 would be better.
  • General: We need more skills. I barely use some of them (Vengeful Hammers e.g.), and the class quite lacks customization. I’m quite sure we will get some (to have as many possibilities as other classes), because we also do need underwater skills.

Legends

• Shiro: Lacks mobility, really. For an assassin, I was hoping for a bit more than having to cast Impossible Odds all the time… To find myself at 0% energy! The skill is awesome (to flee from/chase an enemy), but when channeling Shiro we need +25% speed, maybe on the attribute Targeted Destruction?
  • Shiro’s comments: Something was odd… Once he says “I will fight by your side!” and another time he says “I demand you release me!”… I know Shiro isn’t an example of mental stability, but these comments are way too opposite to fit. Either make Shiro hate or love fighting by our side, but not both.
  • Jalis: Doesn’t feel that tanky (except for the elite, of course). Need more defensive skills.

I barely played anything else than Shiro/Jalis (a bit of Ventari but since I wasn’t stuffed for it or Mallyx, I stuck to S/J), so it’s my really personal point of view. All I can say is that the Revenant needs a little buff in toughness (feeling like a wet paper bag even when I wasn’t zerker) and more variety in each legendary stance (4 utilities is a minimum, just like every other class). For now, the class is exceptional, I really love it and can’t wait to make it my main! Some animations are just wonderful (how the Revenant seems to scratch their head when using Embrace the Darkness is awesome!), and the skill bar is magnificent Hope my “comments” will help!

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

(edited by VergilDeZaniah.3295)

in Revenant

krzysiek.9061

Hammerguard.9834
What if I want to play with Ventari legend? I have no energy for weapon so I changed my legend. And what? My tablet is gone. And why ANet is forcing me to swap legends? I want to use them because of the situation not because of the “omg I have no energy, I don’t need to use Jalis right now but I need energy” or “omg, stun! I need to change my legend to break it! But what to do with Ventari legend for 10sec?”

in Revenant

Hammerguard.9834

Broseph… If you want to stay in Ventari, then ease up on the energy consumption. It’s as simple as that. Because weapon skills have an energy cost to them, their cooldowns are permitted to be extremely low. Take away that energy cost and you force the weapon cooldowns to rise. Now, what you’re asking for is to basically use skills before the cooldown is up. No bueno. Just stop being selfish with your energy and it’s all good. Aight?

… I still want tengu.

in Revenant

Hammerguard.9834

I can draw a diagram explaining it if you’d like but it’s my bedtime and stuff so you’d have to wait.

… I still want tengu.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Awesome feedback everyone, keep it up! I’m working on changes based on feedback from this last weekend and will likely make a post updating with changes at the end of this week, if not then next week.

Thanks Roy! Whatever you do, don’t change the animations to Sword #2 or Sword #3. They look asthetically fantastic!

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

@Krzysiek

Then simply don’t play revenant. Why? Because it’s clearly not a class you want. You basically changed entire class and its concept by wanting to remove energy cost.

Don’t like energy mechanic? Prefer cooldowns? This isn’t a class for you then. You got plenty of CD based classes that you can choose.

I want to play rev because it’s different and NOT CD based but energy based. They made this class for people like me who wanted something else than CD.

in Revenant

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

Alright so here’s my take on Revenant. I’m mainly a PvE player and right off the bat I can say, Revenants do not work in there. I was quick to notice they were lacking. Oddly enough, I found myself really enjoying them in WvW. My first idea was to play hammer with mallyx after I saw the image of the charr with the tormented hammer and embrace the darkness and I completely fell in love with the look. Funny enough, after many iterations on builds I found out this is what worked best in WvW, so this will be mostly talking from a WvW perspective.

I think most people are just blinded by how “cool” shiro and the swords look. Yes I honestly found myself thinking “man I really wanna use sword cause unralenting asault looks kitten but the rest is so bad” but I finally got over it and equipped my trusty mace; although I ran with hammer most of the itme and didn’t swap to mace often. The only reason to use Shiro was quickness and honestly that energy drain is so obscene it’s not even worth it. I also keep hearing about people saying “oh shiro is amazing cuz it has an evade spam” and all I can think of is what are you even doing. THAT is why so many people are saying revenants need energy on their weapons removed, they run out of energy spamming utilities and blame the weapons for it? The energy costs on weapons are almost non existant, but they allow for Revenants to have impactful skills with relatively short CD.

Admittedly, I didnt do much roaming as I tended to lose in 1v1s (although 80% of those fights were against dragon rank mesmers, I kid you not, they even had the finisher on) and all I could think was “good for you”. You can’t expect people to master a class in 2 days anyway, zerg battles give you more breathing room. Also worth noting, yes, I do think Revenant’s main role is backliner, definitely.

So basically I ended up with this setup they showed in the first revenant reveal, mace/axe and hammer with Jalis and Mallyx. Just so you get an idea, I was running full zerker(or as full as those trinkets let me) and still tanking a lot in zergs, because Revenants are naturally tanky. Not in the sense that they can soak up dmg like warriors or block/protect like guardians. They simply have this one, wonderful trait that makes them an incredible asset in wvw warfare; I’ll get into that on a later post.

in Revenant

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I want to have an emergency escape option where they are temporarily invulnerable but can’t do anything other than move around—similar to mist form and elixir s. Of course, there’s no cooldown on revenant utilities so perhaps the energy cost could be in the upper 50s-60s.

Also, more utilities to fill in the utility difference between the revenant and the other eight classes would be nice.

in Revenant

krzysiek.9061

Heeey, take it easy on me! I’m just saying that because we have something to swap it doesn’t mean that is our class mechanic. Elementalist – you MUST swap if you want to survive; you make combo, dogde, heal and kite like a crazy but you must swap to survive (especially d/d). Do I need to swap kits to survive as an engi? Only for combo: plant bomb, destroy healing turret, use shield and you have combo. But you don’t have to play with switching like elementalist. I make damage from grenades, I switch to flamethrower only for one skill to make combo, and I use elixir gun if I need to heal. So mostly I use grenades.
As you can see there’s some synergy. You can’t see that in the Revenant.

It works with DPS – you make damage with s/s, no energy, you swap to next legend and it doesn’t matter which one because you use mostly use s/s not legend skills.
What about support/healing? To use ventari without waisting energy on hammer I need to become a static priest. Seriously? That is how I should play?

@Killyox.3950
And you play because it’s “different”. You no better than me.

Thief spam too and have initiatives so your argument about “they have no energy cuz they spam #3 from s/s” is invalid. Did you ever try something different than shiro s/s and mallyx?

in Revenant

Hammerguard.9834

I want to have an emergency escape option where they are temporarily invulnerable but can’t do anything other than move around—similar to mist form and elixir s. Of course, there’s no cooldown on revenant utilities so perhaps the energy cost could be in the upper 50s-60s.

Also, more utilities to fill in the utility difference between the revenant and the other eight classes would be nice.

This is a common misconception. People are constantly making an argument that Revenant should be the opposite of thieves, aka, cooldown only on weapon skills and energy only on utilities, though some Revenant utilities DO have cooldowns. Both skill types already use both resources.

Edit: On that note, let’s be honest, Anet. Is 4 seconds taunt on one person or 2 seconds taunt on two people simultaneously such a sin?

… I still want tengu.

(edited by Hammerguard.9834)

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

also thief don’t have an instant 50% initiative generation.

in Revenant

Posted by: Mournilg.4870

Mournilg.4870

i agree that thief/rev comparison isn’t good. Thief is supposed to burn a lot of init to spike the ennemy where Revenant build up energy on the long run. Actual problem is survivability on this long run.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

i agree that thief/rev comparison isn’t good. Thief is supposed to burn a lot of init to spike the ennemy where Revenant build up energy on the long run. Actual problem is survivability on this long run.

Yeah, as I said before Revenant is something between ele, warrior and thief, and very different from all of them.

I agree on survivability (and 0 energy on healing skill would help a lot).

in Revenant

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

This may become my favorite profession when the wrinkles get smoothed out.

Not gonna make this long. I am pretty much on-board with the following assessments:

1. Energy + CD = too much. Adjustments need to be made to several skills.

2. All of the Legends and Weapon skills need some work. The specifics have been covered well in the previous posts.

3. Jalis Elite does need some specific tweaking. Making it interruptible is fine, but its just too easy to interrupt at this time. Ventari Legend also needs some very focused attention.

Quick shout out to Ark Bladesteel…keepin’ it real…For the Henge!

I’d like to say thanks to all of you that have posted, I like seeing people providing constructive help on this forum. Its a refreshing change from the norm.

Thanks Roy, for listening and taking these things into account when you are working out the kinks on this new profession. Knowing sometimes its not possible due to the nature of your job, I want to compliment you on the way you try to keep us in the loop. It is very appreciated.

I look forward to seeing what changes are made.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

(edited by Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209)

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

Now for the actual Revenant skill runover, as I hope my opinions will be useful for the devs. Starting with weapons, mainly from a wvw perspective.

Sword
1- This auto attack is…mediocre. This one needs a damage boost. On full zerker it was hitting for about 1k each hit, going up to about 1’2k with vuln. And that was with crits.
2- This skill is just so bad in every possible way I can’t believe they even left it like this for a beta test. Either increase the damage, the chill duration, the range, or even everything at once and it MIGHT be used. A complete rework would be better IMO though.
3- My main problem with this skill is that it looks too good. So good it makes people want to use sword when in its current state it’s not worth it. I honestly don’t agree with those who say this needs an evade. Think about the person on the other end, it’s a fairly short CD so you could be taking this twice in a fight. There needs to be some counterplay. It could use a slight damage boost. It’s a decent burst against single targets but as soon as there’s mutiple one’s you’re only hitting them for ~1k on each strike. Also, the range is deceptively short. While this is mainly an L2P issue, 450 is such a weird number we’re not used to, it’s bigger than 300 so you think it has moderate range, but not as much as 600 which are considered the mid range weapons. I missed this a lot because I was out of range.
PS: do not use this on guardians
I haven’t played with offhand sword much so I can’t comment on them any more than what others have said.

Hammer
1- I honestly love this skill. Yes it is slow, but the compensation of having a 100% projectile is worth it in my opinion. This works so well with skill 4, Jalis road and Mallyx’s dark field I cannot say anything bad about it. It has moderate damage, hitting for about 3k and piercing. I’d leave this as it is. This, along with perma dark fields has forced me to run around teaching people about lifsteal for occasional PvD, and extra 250 dmg per hit on doors/siege which cannot be crit is actually great. (Later adding up lifsteal traits)
2- Probably my favorite weapon skill. Good damage, low recharge. And guess what, it goes through gates! Although you have to be standing real close to them otherwise only the first hit will come out, so there’s some counterplay there as you’re susceptible to lava fonts and the like. I’m still not quite sure if the 5 target limit is per hit or the whole skill though. I’ll have to test it more next time as I couldn’t pay enough attention mid fight. Again, great skill to proc lifesteal traits.
3- Definitely the worst skill on the hammer’s kitten nal, although this is mostly due to its buggyness with the terrain, fix that and it may have some use.
4- Pretty good skill, needs some getting used to the field being in front of you as it can be a bit deceptive, I tend to find myself turning around so that my projectiles will go through it if I’m strafing. Amazing for lifesteal again. Great support for your party if you position yourself well.
5- Okay this skill, I’ve had it hit way more times than I expected but I think that’s simply people not paying much attention in wvw, as there are too many aoes flying around to be able to dodge them all. However, I’d much appreciate if this skill was changed to work more like ele’s earth staff #2, where you drop the aoe, it takes time to land, but you’re still able to do stuff until it hits. Unlike eles, revenants are actually casting this skill for the full duration until it lands. Meaning if you happen to be blinded, you can’t try to get a quick hammer 2 to get rid of the blind before 5 goes off.

Mace
1- My offhand set for most of my playtime, its auto is pretty good. Even on a power spec it was dealing roughly 100~200 less per hit than sword, that’s not bad for a condi weapon , specially considering its fast attack speed. Ironically as a condi weapon it’s kinda weird as it has a melee auto but ranged skills. I would say the auto should work like necro scepter, but then it wouldn’t cleave, so I’m not sure about that. I think the main problem is that if speccing for condi, you dont have any ranged condi options, so I hope to see one with a future elite spec down the line.
On a side note, the third attack on the chain seemed to bug with quickness, having its standard aftercast, slowing you down.
2- Great skill, spot on.
3- The added torment is great for condis. Love this skill, although it uses the same movement as thief’s heartseeker, making it janky with the terrain. I ended up leaping sideways a lot, which is an issue when you’re trying to blast your very linear combo fields.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

energy on weaponskills is there to punish you if you use too many skills, and to incentivize you to legendswap.

in Revenant

Hammerguard.9834

Need more movement speed. I’m not asking for elementalist level, just something.

Staff 4 – radius too small, pathetic heal, long cast time, could use the “Staggering Blow” treatment.

… I still want tengu.

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

Axe
4- This one is okay. It seems to not go the full 900 range though. I have the same problem with Shiro’s shadowstep, if you use it when the range indicator disappears on a moving target, they’ll still be out of range. Bumping it to 1200 would make it easier to use, since you have to actually wait for your axe travel time to hit. That said, for a condi weapon it doesn’t quite deliver, I’d add a few stacks of bleeding maybe, as our only source of bleed.
5- Great skill, would increase it’s width a bit as it’s smaller than the effect seems to indicate. Other than that no issues with it.

Staff
1- I actually haven’t played with this since the last test, but even back then without shiro or the devastation line it was doing decent damage for its role. So after the buffs I think this one is okay as is in terms of damage.
The one BIG, BIG THING. The animation on the third skill for charr. PLEASE, I beg of you, change that. It looks unfinished, as if they animated their arms but not their hands. On the past beta when I tried it on the ascalon fractal I really thought it was an unfinished animation, thinking it was supposed to be the typical staff twirl from many action movies, but it just awkwardly floats in your hands instead. Turns out it was the “final” animation. Something needs to be happening with their hands, it looks too awkward.
2- This skill is still too awkward to use, way too long of a cast time for an “interrupt” style attack.
3- Needs a longer block duration. It’s great as it is now, but I’d like to be able to stop a full rapid fire with it.
4- Self root needs to go.
5- Love this skill, although I admit I find it odd that the one mobility skill in our weapons is on a support role weapon. Also, I think they increased the CD from 15 to 20 secs since the last test? Considering we have energy costs, no weapon skill should be higher than 15 seconds. I’m pretty sure I could use it more often last time. Please revert this to 15sec.

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

I think the main problem with revenant atm is traits. Some are incredibly powerful, and some are absurdly underwhelming. Wont go into full detail since forums have a pretty small limit but some traits I want to mention:

Devastation
This one is just a mandatory traitline, not only for the damage boost, but it also gives insane amounts of sustain through lifesteal. I think many people take the executioner trait out of habit, but assassin’s anihilation is way better. Considering the low damage on sword a 20% dmg increase is not that much, compared to a flat 300+ dmg which cannot be reduced by toughness, great for bunkers, plus HEALING SIGNET WORTH OF HEALING, people. Come on, this is one of the strongest traits we have. This one along with the grandmaster minor is amazing sustain damage and healing. This said minor also makes mace a lot more viable with lifsteal procs everywhere with that fire field.
The adept traits need some looking into, the attack speed would be better if dual weilding, not exclusively to sword, as it would also work for condi builds since they only have one weapon option. Also Malicious reprisal needs a shorter CD.
Dismantle fortifications is an interesting trait, but it’s in the wrong place. Also make it so that it removes 2 stacks of defiance as well for PvE.

Corruption
Demonic defiance is BY FAR the strongest trait revenants have. Along with pain absorption this single trait makes you, and 4 allies, basically completely immune to condis. This should be a grandmaster.
Replenishing despair is interesting but competing with the previous one it makes it a non pick. Venom enhancement is laughably bad. We only have poison on one of our auto attacks, with a 6s duration. Who thought of this?
Masters are okay, maybe reduce Frigid Precision to 8s CD.
GM are good in concept, but bad in execution. Diabolic inferno would be better if it pulsed with embrace the darkness. Pulsating pestilence is too random to be effective, and maniacal persistance is…weird. What’s the purpose of this trait? I dont understand it.

Retribution
This is probably the most solid traitline, although many of its procs are on hit, which makes it useless for damage specs since you dont want to get hit.

Salvation
Needs a complete runover, you only take this when you’re a healer spec, it’s way too focused on one thing and even then it doesnt do it all that great. You could get more healing out of devastation lifesteal.

Invocation
Too many fury focused traits when we have literally no access to fury except from traits? Do you honestly expect me to burn my heals for offense? Sure, I could keep legend swapping for a 50% fury uptime, but do you really think we’re like eles? I dont want to offend anyone but this was a very stupid idea. The other traits are alright, they are more versatile and try to incentivise you to manage your energy well.

in Revenant

Posted by: Mournilg.4870

Mournilg.4870

Sword 3 is a hard to balance skill.
We can balance it on many different aspects, depending on what we need the skill to be.

First we must see what are the pros and cons :

Pros :
multi hit attacks
little gap closer
potential hard hitting attack

Cons :
Obvious animation warning (though can be used with IO)
Animation lock → vulnerable
interruptable
relativly high cost (15 energy)

Some options we have :
More damages to make it a hard hitting skill, so no evade or invulnerability maybe 1 stability stack on each hit so you can still interrupt it but not stop it easily.

Evade frames and make it an evade skill more than a hitting skill, some sort of active emergency button. But this kind of skill shouldn’t hit too hard.

Reduce the animation time : same dps but in a smaller window of time, more subject to long lasting blocks and dodge rolls. (like Rapidfire)

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

My final piece of feedback is about the legend skills themselves:

Starting off with Ventari since it’ll be quick. Simply put, the worst legend. It’s not that what it does is bad, but in PvE it’s basically only used for the projectile block, and in wvw it’s too clunky to manage with such chaotic fights. Also, this might be just me, but the skill icons are too similar and I keep mistaking them for one another. I guess changing their order might help though.

Shiro
Shiro is not as amazing as people make it to be. Its skills are too situational imo, and people make the mistake of spamming them instead. Also, impossible odds drains WAY too much energy. it should be a -8 upkeep at most like Embrace the Darkness. I dont see how quickness is worth more in their eyes than AoE condi transfer +10% stat boost to all your stats. The heal skill is terrible, and it’s basically just worth using as a damage boost if you have those (bad) fury on heal traits. Ironically, the most offensive heal that kinda works with those traits is a lifesteal, which means it can’t crit anyway.

Jalis
This one has the most standard skills, by standard I mean they can be used in roughly every situation. The main problem with it is the skills are just not functioning properly, the only reliable skill is the road (although it could use a faster drop rate). Forceful engagement is NOT worth 50 energy, the same as an elite??? It’s a mease 2 second duration taunt. This skill needs so many improvements: reduce the energy cost to 35, make it unblockable (keep this one in mind for later) or increase the duration.
Vengful hammers would be great if it didnt bug out so much. Make the hammers persist, I dont know why they’re vanishing on collision. The elite is fine imo, but it could use a reduced cast time. I think 2 seconds is a good spot, right now it’s almost 3 seconds.
My main complain with Jalis is that it has no actual tank skills other than the elite, and no traits to enhance it. My suggestions would be either a trait that grants protection to anyone affected by its skills (yourself when taunting someone, not the target) although this could be problematic if it stacked with the elite; OR, make vengful hammers not unblockable baseline, and have a trait make your Jalis skills unblockable.

Mallyx
Finally, probably my favorite legend, although it’s not just the skills it’s because of the amazing trait that gives you resistance. That trait alone, for an adept, is incredibly strong, making Mallyx the best legend. It has a great heal, which also works well with Jalis heal, the elite is very versatile, as it can give you a nice boost to defensive stats as well as higher offense, with a reasonable upkeep cost. Also the startup animation is just beautiful <3
The main problems I see with it: the displacement field is problematic. Many people suggest it interacting with stability, but then it would turn it into a very strong stability strip as it pulses per second. On the bright side, this field is spammable for lifesteal finishers. Revenant has made lifesteal as a mechanic grow on me a lot.
Also this idea of taking condis and enhancing yourself is interesting, but not very functional, as it makes taking Demonic Defiance not only a very good choice, but rather a mandatory one. And it kinda promotes you to use your utilities offensively, but I feel like the payoff for being over the threshold is not enough. Imo this makes Mallyx not about condition offense but rather condition defense, and amazingly good at that. Also, Embrace the Darkness has no interaction with this threshold mechanic. It could be boosted so that if you have more than 5(3 would be too low), you would copy two stacks of each condi instead of only one.

in Revenant

Posted by: Chaser.2870

Chaser.2870

inspiring reinforcement < this skill animation is way too slow
TOO SLOW and waste energy cost when I swiftness+ooc

in Revenant

Posted by: Brit.9726

Brit.9726

@Krzysiek

Then simply don’t play revenant. Why? Because it’s clearly not a class you want. You basically changed entire class and its concept by wanting to remove energy cost.

Don’t like energy mechanic? Prefer cooldowns? This isn’t a class for you then. You got plenty of CD based classes that you can choose.

I want to play rev because it’s different and NOT CD based but energy based. They made this class for people like me who wanted something else than CD.

Yet it still has CD. The trick is to find the balance between using the two – but as of right now, it’s exhausting. You have no “safe” skill to take a breather in when you’re building up energy, bar AA and not attacking. For example, even with Classes that only has CD’s, they have options to Retreat or Absorb all DPS as a way of waiting for CDs (as well as mitigating damage on themselves)… Revenant doesn’t atm.

Shiro’s heal isn’t even considered a “safe” skill either, as the initial heal is only 1.64k according to the Wiki… so the only way to achieve that is to use up Energy just like blowing all CD’s just to back off slightly for a while. That or kite for a bit, while you AA.

Again, speaking from a WvW perspective… but so far it does need more work. You can go on record and say “I want to play rev because it’s different” all you won’t, it won’t change how the Energy system is right now.

It’s different… but at the same time it’s using existing mechanics. So in the end it won’t be 100% different. I’m not saying to completely mirror what Thieves have (it’s just a suggestion), but just take a page from that. IF you are gonna use CD’s ON TOP OF Energy…. then they need to balance that out. This class has to work in all three modes of the game, and so far it doesn’t.

Chrono B R I T – Mesmer
Furious Cookies [FURY]http://www.furious-gamers.org/
Desolation EU

in Revenant

Posted by: Fade.5904

Fade.5904

I think Revenant should have NO COOLDOWNS whatsoever.
For a class based around an energy system, cooldowns seem like a timid way of balancing it.
The energy cost of everything should be balanced around no cooldowns, even heals and legend swapping. Personally i think this would open up a much more fluid gameplay and make the class truely diverse.
Do you burn all your energy on dps or manage it efficiently for sustain and healing.

For eg. Heals could cost a full 100% energy but the no cooldown would offset this (numbers would have to be balanced around this)

Swapping legends could still revert you to 50% energy so no heal spamming would be possible but you’d never feel locked into just auto attacking (and swapping legends should reward the decision to do so)

Balance the energy numbers and i don’t see how this would be impossible to do.

Also
Add a 1/2 second evade on crit to sword 3
Keep auto attacks weak but each should restore more energy

in Revenant

Posted by: slayert.5904

slayert.5904

Shiro
Probably the best for melee combat against other direct damage builds but seriously lack the condie cleanse to fight for example a pu condition mesmer or condie engineer. Egineer is even mroe badly because if you use sword #3 against them you just get condie bombed since you are not evade during those attacks so you still take damage from their AoE.
I used Sword/Sword as many probaby did with Shiro. Sword #4 second part just costs too much energy compared to sword #5 which shadowsteps you backwards 600 range and pulls your target. I do found it sometimes difficult to pull this skill off since it didn’t had as big as a reach as the other skills Revenant has on Sword/Sword. It also bugs out most of times not pulling or even doing the shadowstep while I clearly hit someone.

Jalis
This is my go-to ‘ah kitten’ legend. Mostly since the heal is probably the best of every heal Revenant has. Shiro’s heal is good if you can use it right but Jalis heal is beter since… well it heals more and removes conditions.

Forced Engagement is too costly as many other players have said. Lower the energy cost or just buff the skill since it is only 2 seconds of Taunt and Slow.

The swirling hammers bug out on uneven terrain and don’t hit players. The cost to upkeep this skill is like a bit too high. lower the -Energy/second by one I would say.

Staff
I used Staff as my second weapon when running the Shiro Sword/Sword. As I swap to Jalis I also swap to Staff so I got another 1.5k heal and condie cleanse. BUT the staff #4 which cleanses condies only works 10% of the time which killed me probably more since I was just stand still for the duration of the skill and get hit by more conditions or direct damage and end with 1.5k heal and no conditions removed. So clearify if this skill only works if allies are around or not.

Staff #1, the AA, got a proper buff from what it was in the previous Beta.

Staff #2 is… not good, same with sword #2, it is just useless most of times.

Staff #3 It still confuses me on exactly what it does. Is it like Hammer #4 but also sends out projectiles? I just lack information on exactly what it does to use it properly.

Staff #5 is AMAZING if done right. I could get 7k damage on people using Maureder Amulet in sPvP.

| lvl 80 guard | shout DPS roamer |

in Revenant

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

1. Trait
Corruption

• Venom enhancement – Revenant doesn’t make any posion attack, even with weapon. Useless trait.

Mace mainhand… the first attack in the autoattack chain applies poison.

in Revenant

krzysiek.9061

Sorry, I’m retared. I really don’t know what to say.
Now it’s almost 5 sec but confusion or torment would be better, I guess.

in Revenant

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Here are my notes and comments from what I tested (PvP perspective). The build I used.

Traits
I found all traits to be useful and there is good competence on trait slots (good as it makes decision making harder and adds a bit versatility). Sad to see lack of defensive traits. The life siphoning traits were great!

MH Sword
1 is great but the animation is a bit odd.
2 needs something added to it, I only used it to track stealthed enemies.
3 was a death sentence if not used wisely. It should get a channel bar and a way to break the channel mid animation. Or add evasion to the skill, which could be balanced with ‘’unable to contest capture-points’’ as it would be the only evading damage skill that sticks to target (compare to Blurred Frenzy, Pistol Whip).

OH Sword
4 just needs bug fix, which Roy has already done. Good skill overall.
5 needs bug fixing too as it didn’t work over half of the time (teleports me but not my target or nothing happens at all). Maybe lower the energy cost by 5.

Mace
1 is good, nice fast torment stacking auto and poison if you complete the chain.
2 needs imo 2 stacks of burning per tick to bring it in line with the rest burning skills ingame currently. Also making it ground targetable like Jalis IR would help control where the field lands as it’s pretty random when fighting in close ranges.
3 more torment stacking, blast for fire fields and hits good direct dmg. No changes needed.

Axe
4 good skill, no issues and no changes needed.
5 could use with a bit width increase as it’s hard to land if the foe isn’t right on top of the rift.

Hammer
1 solid auto.
2 good dmg from range.
3 could use with evasion during the mist leap.
4 solid anti-projectile.
5 very slow and hard to land but ok skill overall.

Shiro
6 could do with slightly bigger initial heal and removal of the siphon ICD.
7 super useful but I’d lower the energy cost to 30 maybe.
8 another super useful utility, no one can run away from you if they don’t break target with stealth.
9 no changes needed, super useful like above.
10 hefty energy cost but pay off is worth imo.

Mallyx
6 great heal, I many times went back to full hp from very low by using 7 first, then this.
7 love the resistance spam and team support of this skill, no changes needed.
8 spammable boon rip? Love it, no changes.
9 super useful utility, energy cost is in good spot so you can’t really spam this. Great for saving teammates from stomps or from getting chased. Also decap forcing! Stability should counter this spell.
10 not a huge fan of the conditions copying with 1 stacks but it’s a good elite. I used it mostly for sending soft cc back to foes and leaving the form immediately. Maybe a condition threshold could be added to be like the rest of Mallyx skills, maybe to copy your conditions for 5 seconds if you have 3 or more condition on you instead of 3 seconds. Would help with stacking conditions on enemies. Just an idea though.

Misc
Right now the Revenant feels super squishy. It really needs more defensive capabilities and I hope Glint will bring that, but that would force to always spec for Glint as right now Revenant gets eaten alive by most meta builds. Though I must say towards the end of the beta my survivability had increased, so part of feeling so squishy can be a result of people not knowing how to play the class properly yet.
Another thing I’d love to see is the removal of energy cost on healing skills. Got me killed a few times when I was using an upkeep and hitting heal, only to run out of energy and dying. I know, it’s my fault of not paying attention, but it would be a nice change.

I loved the feel of the class and it was really fun to play. Channeling Shiro and porting like a thief, only to swap to Mallyx and really feast on those conditions. I miss my Revenant already and can’t wait to play it again!

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

(edited by My Sweet Lily.1952)

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I miss my Revenant already and can’t wait to play it again!

I’m already going through Revy withdrawal symptoms!!

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Revenant

Kicker.8203

Utility skill should have CDs. Example: against condi: resistance spam+autohit=win, against melee: unyielding anguish spam+ranged hammer autohit=win. if you had no utilities however you would die in seconds. Uptime on these should be reduced to half or a bit less.

However, since revenants almost exclusively rely on utilities to survive, the weapon defenses should be improved greatly. by that i mean +1/2 defensive properties to each set (sword2 – 1/4s daze but on longer cd, sword 3, staff 2 – evade, staff 4 – blind, hammer 3 should let you choose if you want to stay at your destination, hammer 5 – way faster cast, hammer 4 would apply slow to foes who are in it, sword 5 teleport backwards even if it doesnt hit a foe, axe 4 blind, mace 3 evade)

These wouldn’t be op because limiting utilities is a great throwback but if they aren’t limited they lead to cheesy & boring gameplay.

Stealth seems to fit thematically for revenant but there is none. It could be also added here and there instead of an evade or something. It’d be also a great shiro utility #4 if they decide to increase the number of utilities to 5 for each legend. Defensive traits are also too weak.

(edited by Kicker.8203)

in Revenant

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Awesome feedback everyone, keep it up! I’m working on changes based on feedback from this last weekend and will likely make a post updating with changes at the end of this week, if not then next week.

I realize crowd-management is not the balance team’s strong suit, but you might encourage the Devs in charge of the Chronomancer, Dragonhunter, Reaper, and Tempest to come out and post similar hand-holding “Hey, we heard you and we’re working on them” statements in the boards for those classes.

Just a thought.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Revenant

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

My Feedback:
Overall I know I still have something to learn when it comes to energy management, but boy spamming 111111 all day is not fun. If the current pace of using skills is to be maintained, every skill needs more “oomph”. When I play other professions I can put out WAY more skills and many of them are even more powerful than Rev. If the Rev is supposed to choose their skills carefully they need to be way more powerful. Otherwise if Revs should use skills at the same pace as everyone else they really need work with energy usage. Either Weapons don’t use energy or we need some drastic reductions across the board. Others have gone into way more depth with this, their writeups are better than anything else I could say on the matter.

Weapons
Mace: Seems much better with the increased speed, but doesn’t put out enough conditions to actually spec for condi damage. Rev doesn’t really have a lot of condi generation I don’t think, Mallyx is mostly about controlling the ones you have and spreading them slowly. The Mace is the main source of Condi it seems like but it just doesn’t have enough. Also terrain really screws with #3, but that seems to be a game-wide problem right now. Terrain is OP, nerf it.
Axe: This weapon is great, it’s a better pair with MH Sword than an offhand sword IMO. My only issue with it is that #4 should reverse the camera. It’s nice that it is landing the damage consistently, but it’s annoying to have my camera facing the wrong way (character is facing the right way so that’s good, but even more weird…).
Staff: Staff feels pretty good now. I still don’t think #2 is worth using but overall I like the weapon. Auto attack damage is slightly low for a melee weapon (a slow-ish 2H especially) but it’s not bad. If I could make one ridiculous suggestion that probably won’t be implemented… I would LOVE to see a “return skill” added to #5. Step back through the mists to your original location after charging forward. Bring target with you. This would allow you to use it normally and charge forward and attack but you would also have the option to come back to your group and into the fields that are all behind you now. That would be cray-cray.
Hammer: Hammer is great now I like it. Terrain is OP against #2, but again this is an issue throughout the game right now. #3 should have evade on it, you can eat too much damage for a skill that doesn’t let you move and forces you do go into dangerous melee situations. #5 cast time is sort of silly, I would like to see a short cast time with a delayed effect (like Orbital Strike for Engis) to keep the same time for the enemy to react but not lock up the Rev so much.
MH Sword: This weapon is pretty fun, #2 seems underwhelming. I like the Chilled condition but frankly it seems unnecessary with all the other tools Shiro/Sword users have to catch up to fleeing/ranged targets. I would like to see #2 do something more useful. #3 has the main problems that everyone else says. It’s not good when there’s more targets (ironic for how the skill looks) and you just eat so much damage. Needs evade badly, and something to make it worth using with multiple targets. It sucks to be in AOE situations and just stare at that skill knowing you shouldn’t use it even though it’s awesome looking.
OH Sword: The block is pretty cool actually, it took me a little bit to figure out how the second attack you get from it worked. The teleport/pull #5 skill is weird… hard to judge it with the terrain issues. I think it’s a good skill that works well in that spot on the skill bar if it would actually work at all.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Revenant

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

My Feedback (cont.):
Legends
I gave it a chance through two opportunities to play it now… and I just have to say Legends need some options. I think we need to have 5 options for utility skills for each legend, 6 would be ideal so that two Revs using the same Legend could actually have different skills. I’m not looking for a huge utility menu like other professions, I don’t want that I understand the Rev works differently. What I do think we need, just like we needed weapon swap, is the ability to have some amount of customization.

Right now the Legends are so locked into their predefined role that even with the two different Legends you choose you have very minimal flexibility.

The benefits would be two-fold. Not only do you get more customization but this is a chance to improve some weaknesses of the Rev that need it (of course we need to retain some weaknesses, but even the Engi isn’t this bad at removing condis!). I know there’s only a month or two to create these skills for a launch that’s probably in December but I think it’s really important.

I think this is a really quick and dirty rough draft of the types of skills that could be added that shore up some glaring weaknesses but don’t make the Rev master of everything and weak to nothing:
Shiro – Give a condi removal, something defensive or vampiric, and something to grant fury.
Ventari – Give a couple skills that do damage and give something like an aura around the tablet to buff players like banners.
Jalis – Give a condi removal and some real support like Guards have (Regen, Protection, Aegis).
Mallyx – Give some skills that generate meaningful condi damage.

Overall notes on legends:
Shiro – stun break is a nice addition but ruined by energy cost. I admit there’s a lot I have to learn when it comes to managing energy and I might not understand it all yet… but I think requiring energy to break a stun is not a good idea. Even Thieves have some skills that don’t require Initiative (and what do ya know, no stun break requires Inititative!). I love the other two skills, overall energy management issues notwithstanding.
Jalis – Elite needs something else… I liked the idea I saw somewhere that said to apply the effects to the Rev at the start of the cast. The taunt is really bad. Not just at 50e, but just as a skill. It needs some other effect in addition to a huge energy reduction. Hammers and road are cool. I’d love road to give swiftness baseline, it is a road afterall!
Ventari – It plays okay but I’m just not into the pure healing play style. I don’t think I could accurately and fairly review this legend as it plays right now.
Mallyx – Oh Mallyx… I love and hate you. The displacement on Unyielding Anguish needs to go, the novelty of using it in pvp is gone and now it’s just annoying. It’s 4s of not being able to do anything to your target as they teleport around you. I like how you can spec to be basically immune to condis but I just don’t feel that the generation of condis is good enough in this Legend. I would like to see some more bleeds and torment on the skills, something to not just be annoying to your opponent but to actually be a threat.

Traits
There’s some serious pigeon holing going on in the traits, but that’s been covered more in depth by others. I would like to see some more meaningful trait choices, I feel like the Revenant is using traits from before the trait revamp a few months back.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry