Guide to Thief Guides

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

(Props to the Mesmer forum, I’m borrowing this idea from them c; )
Rather than having a big ol’ guide to the wide world of thieves, I think I’m just going to post this here as an aggregate of a ton of thief builds and guides to help players get started, or improve their play as a thief.

If you have any suggestions for things to add to this list, please post them in the comments section. I’d much appreciate it. c:

Also, if you see anything by you that you want taken down from here (I tried to borrow as much stuff from here as possible from the forums. That way I don’t get burned at the stake for messing up a build. c;) please inform me. If you see a link that would be better replaced, please inform me of that as well.

sPvP Builds

~S/D~

2/6/0/6/0 S/D, SB Damage Thief (Lady Nag Nag)

0/6/0/6/2 Jumper’s Dual S/D build- tPvP (Jumper)

2/0/0/6/6 – Regeneration S/D (Arganthium)

~S/P~

2/6/0/0/6 S/P Build (pantsforbirds)

2/6/0/0/6 S/P SB Interrupt Burster Build- Geiir’s take on the weapon set (Geiir)

2/6/0/0/6 S/P + SB- Toker’s Meta Build (Magic Toker)

~D/D~
0/0/10/30/30 D/D Leaping Death Blossom Unicorn Build (Lowell)

5/0/5/30/30 PvP- Void’s Condition Build (Void)

0/0/10/30/30 Bunker/Condition Thief (Husty)

~D/P~

Cruuk’s Decapitation Build (Cruuk)

10/30/0/0/30 Trickery D/P + SB Burst Thief

25/30/0/0/15 D/P + SB Burst

WvW Builds

~D/P~

0/20/30/20/0 WvW D/P Backstab Build (pantsforbirds)

~S/D~

30/0/30/0/10 PvE/WvW Venom Share Tank (Adaneshade)

~D/D~

D/D / SB WvW Thief (Jacion)

1/0/1/6/6 WvW – Yess Man’s condijumping build (Yess Man)

~P/D~

P/D Condition Thief (Aberrant)

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

(edited by Arganthium.5638)

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

[reserved for future edits]

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: zaxon.6819

zaxon.6819

nice start, getting bad link on a couple though.. double check.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

nice start, getting bad link on a couple though.. double check.

Thanks.
I saw those links too, figured I’d edit them later. I’ll go back and check through them, and make edits where necessary.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Done. Think I’ve fixed all of the bad links.

Going to check one more time.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Edit: Added in a link to Authority’s thread about countering other professions, looks great.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Bren Ranger.3725

Bren Ranger.3725

Nice working putting this together. Keep it clean and updated and we might get it stickied like the Mesmer’s index.

[HARD] ~Isle of Janthir~ Commander.
Bren the Ele
80: Thief, Mesmer, Ranger, Ele, Warrior.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Nice working putting this together. Keep it clean and updated and we might get it stickied like the Mesmer’s index.

That’s my goal. We need more representation here. I hate seeing other professions whine about how “OP” we are (haha… Right), and I hate seeing the same build being used by every single thief. I sure don’t want this profession to become another ele profession, with the overwhelming majority of eles playing D/D nowadays. -_-

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Authority.6145

Authority.6145

Edit: Added in a link to Authority’s thread about countering other professions, looks great.

Was meant to post to your thread. Apologies for the late reply. And thanks a lot.

By the way this build looks intriguing.

PvP Lifesteal Thief
http://www.gw2build.com/builds/pvp-lifesteal-thief-updated-4-02-2013-pvp-pistols-lifesteal-4861.html

There was a youtube video that inspired me to make an effort to create a “support” build as a thief. Still not done with it because I am still playing around with runes and amulet just to figure out the best possible stats for my vision of “support” as well as utilities, ect.

Bunker/Damage has been posted on the d/p theory crafting so check it out too and let me know what you think.

(edited by Authority.6145)

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Was meant to post to your thread. Apologies for the late reply. And thanks a lot.

PvP Lifesteal Thief
http://www.gw2build.com/builds/pvp-lifesteal-thief-updated-4-02-2013-pvp-pistols-lifesteal-4861.html

There was a youtube video that inspired me to make an effort to create a “support” build as a thief. Still not done with it because I am still playing around with runes and amulet just to figure out the best possible stats for my vision of “support” as well as utilities, ect.

Bunker/Damage has been posted on the d/p theory crafting so check it out too and let me know what you think.

Thanks Authority.

I’ll add those builds on, I think (I’ve been playing a lot of bunker/damage D/P thief too recently, so I’d be interested in posting that on here for sure). Outside of that, there are a few other updates I’ll be adding to make the list more complete.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

That’s my goal. We need more representation here. I hate seeing other professions whine about how “OP” we are (haha… Right), and I hate seeing the same build being used by every single thief. I sure don’t want this profession to become another ele profession, with the overwhelming majority of eles playing D/D nowadays. -_-

Popularity, the whole “assassin of shadows of doom” concept and… well, something that gives immediate results without perseverence. Aaaand… Well. There are more reasons to ‘Why are Thieves infesting the WvW grounds’.

I still wish you luck on your quest, I really mean it, at least in order to meet more humble ‘duelist types’, and less ‘ego-stroking-ninja-assassins’.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

~Shadowkat

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Authority.6145

PvP Lifesteal Thief

Thanks Authority.

I’ll add those builds on, I think (I’ve been playing a lot of bunker/damage D/P thief too recently, so I’d be interested in posting that on here for sure). Outside of that, there are a few other updates I’ll be adding to make the list more complete.

Well I am twitching the final version for it.

Right now going for 0/30/20/20/0. Seems more balanced all around for condi enemies (jesus christ getting tired of seeing so many condi players). Will re-post the second version when completely done.

And comment on it as well.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

PvP Lifesteal Thief

Thanks Authority.

Right now going for 0/30/20/20/0. Seems more balanced all around for condi enemies (jesus christ getting tired of seeing so many condi players). Will re-post the second version when completely done.

Alright, that would be great. The more material we have, the better it will be for thieves and the more likely we can actually get this stickied.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

Hey, could we get a Mod to sticky this please? Great information for new thieves in this thread.

~Shadowkat

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Authority.6145

PvP Lifesteal Thief

Thanks Authority.

Alright, that would be great. The more material we have, the better it will be for thieves and the more likely we can actually get this stickied.

Hopefully. This is the “Support D/P Build” still in progress.

Runes: Monk
Sigil: Chill on dagger force on pistol.

Attachments:

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Cool, thanks. Adding a link to the comment now.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Authority.6145

Bunker/Damage final version.

Runes: Scholar, Strength or anything with Dolyak
Amulet: Berserker or Soldier.
Sigils: Chill + Quickness on dagger and pistol, fire on SB.

Copy Paste It.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoalYm6Oncy5E95Ex2jeKUiypIpFtTxVtKA;TkAA1U5YyRkjNHXOycGXMLA

D/P Support final version.

Runes: Dolyak

Copy Paste it.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoalUmaPHfS5E95EBnCnmUPFkdsdP4qWlPA;TcAg0U2YsRYj1GnNSbA

D/P Countering Condition build.

Amultet: Berserker or Cleric or Soldier.

Copy Paste it.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoalUmaPHfy5E+5ExWhdy9wpGtpdP4qVlPA;TcAgzUeZ8S4l1LnXSvA

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Authority.6145

Re-edited previous post.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Thunderbrew.7034

Thunderbrew.7034

Good idea, but some of those links when I go to them
dont show the point allocation, they are just blank.

IMO a forum of guides should be actual guides and not
just showing where the points go. There are allot of guides
out there that actually talk about the build AND playstyle,
which is what I think people look for to make them better.

Just my 2 coppers.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Authority.6145

Arga will post the build I will use mainly for D/P soon since I am currently undergoing training mode with PvP Thief Teacher. Probably in a week or so just to nail down the last touches with stealth changes.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Just my 2 coppers.

/sigh

As it just so happens, I don’t have time to search through thousands of thief builds all over the Internet just to find one that isn’t completely screwy. A lot of the builds here I designed myself through Skill Editor because, honestly, I wasn’t even going to bother trying to look for them. So I apologize.

This is why I need people commenting new builds, however.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Authority.6145

Just my 2 coppers.

/sigh

As it just so happens, I don’t have time to search through thousands of thief builds all over the Internet just to find one that isn’t completely screwy. A lot of the builds here I designed myself through Skill Editor because, honestly, I wasn’t even going to bother trying to look for them. So I apologize.

Forgot to add quickness sigil on pistol on all of them. Apologies again :/

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Just my 2 coppers.

/sigh

Forgot to add quickness sigil on pistol on all of them. Apologies again :/

No, no, it’s fine. As a matter of fact, thank you for your comments up to now, they’ve been very helpful.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Madnek.7921

Madnek.7921

I have made a d/d condition build, the build offers alot dmg evasion, quite high armor, but most of all stacking up for high bleed ticks.

http://full.sc/Y2jqEK

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

I have made a d/d condition build, the build offers alot dmg evasion, quite high armor, but most of all stacking up for high bleed ticks.

Thanks, adding this now.

Also, your thief has some pretty BA armor.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Also, about the build, and this is just a small thing I’d like to throw in here:

I’d take out at least 10 in Shadow Arts and put it into Acrobatics instead. That way, you’re getting the buff for having <100% endurance (which seems to be the case most of the time with your build), and you can also get the Trait Quick Recovery for the extra init regeneration. The problem that I see with having 20 in SA is that you really only use it for the utility that you get from stealing. That’s not entirely a bad thing, but even with 30% less Steal cool down, you’re waiting 31.5 seconds to be able to steal again. Then, when you do steal, sure, you get 5 initiative and Stealth, but with your build, it seems like you come out of stealth almost instantly after you Steal. That 5 initiative, also, is only 2 more than you’re already getting when you steal.

If you took out 20 in SA, then you would be getting more than 3 times more initiative per second than you’re getting right now with IX in Acrobatics. You could then also put 10 into Critical Strikes to get either increased health or increased pistol damage. This is what your build would look like then:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAqa4YlYmCO3dy8E+5ExWBg694rkNsdPuqV1KA

Or, you could just take out 10 in SA and still have 10 more in SA, in which case you would have something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAqa4YlYmCO3dy8E+5ECXBL07xXRWhV3jryq0KA

Just my two cents for you.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Copy Paste It.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoalYm6Oncy5E95Ex2jeKUiypIpFtTxVtKA;TkAA1U5YyRkjNHXOycGXMLA

Copy Paste it.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoalUmaPHfS5E95EBnCnmUPFkdsdP4qWlPA;TcAg0U2YsRYj1GnNSbA

Copy Paste it.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoalUmaPHfy5E+5ExWhdy9wpGtpdP4qVlPA;TcAgzUeZ8S4l1LnXSvA

I’m adding these builds and editing the Support build right now.
Btw, I noticed that you didn’t have a secondary weapon on any of your builds, so I added SB to all of them (because SB is a generally very safe option to have when you don’t know what else to have as your secondary).

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Authority.6145

Copy Paste It.

Copy Paste it.

Copy Paste it.

I’m adding these builds and editing the Support build right now.
Btw, I noticed that you didn’t have a secondary weapon on any of your builds, so I added SB to all of them (because SB is a generally very safe option to have when you don’t know what else to have as your secondary).

Definitely SB.

Decided to stick with a specific build for D/P.

Will provide the link to it right now.

Typical D/P Build.

Copy Paste It.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoaVlYmaPHdy5E95Ex2jdqTe6fgs6MoZLB;ToAg0UcZ4SwllLHXSuWWMuYOC

Runes: Scolar
Amulet: Berserker
Sigils: Chill on dagger, quickness on pistol, fire on Shortbow.

Maximizing the ini has always been important to me even when I was a D/D so hence the 15 on trickery. Tried the whole initiative regen but hated to death.

Would like to add that experimenting builds as a solo thief in WVW is more justifiable than SPvP (different stats altogether). In SPvP, creativity with builds are limited.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Madnek.7921

Madnek.7921

Also, about the build, and this is just a small thing I’d like to throw in here:

I’d take out at least 10 in Shadow Arts and put it into Acrobatics instead. That way, you’re getting the buff for having <100% endurance (which seems to be the case most of the time with your build), and you can also get the Trait Quick Recovery for the extra init regeneration. The problem that I see with having 20 in SA is that you really only use it for the utility that you get from stealing. That’s not entirely a bad thing, but even with 30% less Steal cool down, you’re waiting 31.5 seconds to be able to steal again. Then, when you do steal, sure, you get 5 initiative and Stealth, but with your build, it seems like you come out of stealth almost instantly after you Steal. That 5 initiative, also, is only 2 more than you’re already getting when you steal.

If you took out 20 in SA, then you would be getting more than 3 times more initiative per second than you’re getting right now with IX in Acrobatics. You could then also put 10 into Critical Strikes to get either increased health or increased pistol damage. This is what your build would look like then:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAqa4YlYmCO3dy8E+5ExWBg694rkNsdPuqV1KA

Or, you could just take out 10 in SA and still have 10 more in SA, in which case you would have something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAqa4YlYmCO3dy8E+5ECXBL07xXRWhV3jryq0KA

Just my two cents for you.

Does increase dmg by +X% also effect conditions dmg? If not then its quite pointless to go for.

I went for 20 in SA not only for stealing but also for toughness and the extra +heal I get, since I mostly use Withdraw. I do use steal mainly for the ini refill, but its useful when I get the stealth I can hit with a backstab, which is also extra to the dmg done.

But those are my 2 cents.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: DuskTwilight.4862

DuskTwilight.4862

To the OP: You may want to remove the link to my build. It was just a concept that upon playing around with just didn’t work out the way I had hoped. Too little focus made me suffer overall and I went back to the established P/D bleed build.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

To the OP: You may want to remove the link to my build. It was just a concept that upon playing around with just didn’t work out the way I had hoped. Too little focus made me suffer overall and I went back to the established P/D bleed build.

Done, thanks for the tip.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Also, if somebody could post something connecting to this “legendary” P/D build that everybody seems to be talking about, that would be great.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Rok.5260

Rok.5260

Would like this stickied…

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Didn’t see it on the list, but this is the P/D build that I use… not really an original one by me, just something I saw and tweaked a tiny bit.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqYVlUmiO3ey5E+JFB3Djm0m6p4rjVXQ/hrC

First 2 major traits in shadow arts are flexible… swapping one of them for remove condition in stealth works well too. Just personal preference.

Alternatively take the 5 out of deadly arts and put it into acrobatics for vigor on heal or assassin’s reward, but I like the pois on steal (gives you something other than ONLY having bleeds) and I don’t find myself needing any more dodge/hp regen.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Didn’t see it on the list, but this is the P/D build that I use… not really an original one by me, just something I saw and tweaked a tiny bit.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqYVlUmiO3ey5E+JFB3Djm0m6p4rjVXQ/hrC

First 2 major traits in shadow arts are flexible… swapping one of them for remove condition in stealth works well too. Just personal preference.

Alternatively take the 5 out of deadly arts and put it into acrobatics for vigor on heal or assassin’s reward, but I like the pois on steal (gives you something other than ONLY having bleeds) and I don’t find myself needing any more dodge/hp regen.

Thanks, and I agree with the poison idea- at the very least, it’s an interesting and very cheap idea to use. Posting now.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

EDIT: Working on fixing a few bad links here and there, also going to look at some ways to make builds more specific than “Backstab Build”.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Lilsteele.4567

Lilsteele.4567

Great work, thank you.

I hope that it will be made sticky, and that it will be kept up to date.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Great work, thank you.

I hope that it will be made sticky, and that it will be kept up to date.

Thanks, I hope so too.

I’ll keep it as up to date as possible. c:

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Anybody that can give me info about post-patch build changes, would be much appreciated.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Authority.6145

If you invest more traits in making stealth last longer does it trade off or negate the impact with the nerf patch changes? Would like to know that from any X/D users who have experimented with that.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

^ True.

I’ve been playing my usual D/P build with S/D instead recently (the two weaponsets, different as they are, happen to be extremely interchangeable), and I’ve found that the weapon-set, post-update, still works great.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: Mujen.5287

Mujen.5287

Thank you for taking the time out to make this.

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

Would like to add my newly created “Venom share tank” build. Crazy high survivability and great group utility (possibly the strongest sPvP build I’ve ever run).

PVE/WvW:
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/thief/?7.4|c.1c.h1e.8.1c.h8|5.1c.h1e|1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c|1c.64.1c.64.1c.64.1c.64.1c.64.1c.64|u48c.0.u49c.0.a5|54.7|59.5q.5r.5t.5u|e

PvP:
Same traits with 5x soldier and 1x guardian rune, stacking crit sigil on all weapons, and Soldier’s amulet socketed with knight’s jewel.

~Shadowkat

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Thank you for taking the time out to make this.

No problem!

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Would like to add my newly created “Venom share tank” build. Crazy high survivability and great group utility (possibly the strongest sPvP build I’ve ever run).

PVE/WvW:
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/thief/?7.4|c.1c.h1e.8.1c.h8|5.1c.h1e|1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c|1c.64.1c.64.1c.64.1c.64.1c.64.1c.64|u48c.0.u49c.0.a5|54.7|59.5q.5r.5t.5u|e

PvP:
Same traits with 5x soldier and 1x guardian rune, stacking crit sigil on all weapons, and Soldier’s amulet socketed with knight’s jewel.

Adding now.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Arganthium.5638

Bumpity bump bump bump.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Guide to Thief Guides

in Thief

Posted by: iBlasiannn.4279

iBlasiannn.4279

Bump please, tired of complaining and such.

Februaryy – That one thief on Blackgate
Januarry – I play Ele sometimes because I hate my existence
[oPP] – Over Powered People