Staff #3 skill needs improvement

in Thief

Posted by: Sparrow.5936

Sparrow.5936

I’m liking the staff so far, but compared to all of our other weapons, ability 3 is a bit lackluster.
4 ini, remove cripple and immobilize. 1/2s evade. weak damage.

Ok.. it’s a utility skill .. fine. However although there is no mention of a cast time, the evade doesn’t take place until after you strike with staff, so there is a delay on it, which can really mess you up and becomes unreliable.

For a melee weapon , I was hoping for a little more survivability built into the weapon.
S/P can pistol whip – evade plus good damage
S/D larcenous strikes – evade plus damage (can also stealth with CnD)
D/D death blossom – evade plus condi damage (meh) – (can stealth though)
D/P shadow shot – shadowstep away and blind – (can stealth at will with bp and hs)

Against regular mobs and other players, all melee is ‘ok’ , but when fighting bosses like in fractals, not having extra evades or stealth mechanic to fall back on is not nice. If I time my dodges wrong, or if I’m overzealous with bounding leap for example, I can find myself relying on a #3 skill (with a bit of a delay) to save my butt and no stealth if I’m really in trouble.

It’s a damage weapon, I get it , but content is getting harder now, and we can’t rely just on our dodges to get through things (just wait until raids). We need better survivability on staff. Period.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

I’m liking the staff so far, but compared to all of our other weapons, ability 3 is a bit lackluster.

I agree. I personally don’t use Staff #3 since I can already cleanse cripple and immobilized using Unhindered (Dash). It’s a waste of weapon skill slot and a waste of initiatives.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Yas, plz. I never use it. Another cursed 3 skill.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

I agree. I personally don’t use Staff #3 since I can already cleanse cripple and immobilized using Unhindered (Dash). It’s a waste of weapon skill slot and a waste of initiatives.

One does not always use Dash as a Grandmaster.

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

One does not always use Dash as a Grandmaster.

I use staff 3 quite a bit because I use Dash. I get that the skill is a little f’d up but it’s in a weird useful way for me. Aside from it’s base effects it contributes a little to healing on evade along with any other evade modifiers you have going on and the shorter evade distance is actually what I like about it, especially on HoT maps and the new Borderlands where I need to evade but still remain in the kill box and not fly off a cliff.

I do agree having the evade proc after the strike is annoying but it can be timed well enough. I hope it stays how it is for the most part but I wouldn’t throw a fit if it was changed based on the majority of peoples feedback, I would just assume I’m missing something and take every ones word for it.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

My point was that for me #3 is mainly a skill that negates immo/cripple almost always, ofc a lot more useful when not using Dash since it overlaps that functionality with the trait.

in Thief

Posted by: Tribunus.6237

Tribunus.6237

Im pretty sure it removes immobilize and applies cripple, not remove both. I could swear on occasions I have had cripple and its not removed it.

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Yeah staff #3 applies cripple. It doesn’t cleanse cripple.

Personally I’d find this skill more useful with a daze rather than a cripple. It would feel useful against break bar, and would provide a safer dodge against mobs with an AoE interrupt.
(And with impacting disruption it would be so satisfying)

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

in Thief

Posted by: Tribunus.6237

Tribunus.6237

Personally I’d find this skill more useful with a daze rather than a cripple. It would feel useful against break bar, and would provide a safer dodge against mobs with an AoE interrupt.
(And with impacting disruption it would be so satisfying)

I like this idea, it would make staff synergise with its own trait much better. I dont feel adding a cripple does anything for me unless im trying to gtfo and I have enough access to dodges and vault to do that.

in Thief

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

am i the only one that feels the skill is really weird when used to evade? just something about its animation. i always mess it up.

as for buffing it, give it daze and leap range

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

In pve I find that this skill and dash hard to use resoucefully. What I mean is, both are great at getting out of harms way, but they both move so fast it’s hard to actually get and “evade” and so traits don’t proc. It W’s also quite tricky use it in pvp as well (on pvped Las weekend). Might be a case that I just need to time them better.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: Terimac.5871

Terimac.5871

If i use dash i wont use #3. With bound i will use #3 when its needed.

Btw what about staff #4 guys? Do you think adding a 2 sec smokefield would be too op or a nice buff?

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Btw what about staff #4 guys? Do you think adding a 2 sec smokefield would be too op or a nice buff?

I want the Smokescale’s Smoke Cloud skill as our Staff #4. I’d definitely use the skill more often if this is the case.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Posted by: Eisenwald.8562

Eisenwald.8562

@ Sir Vincent III – I like the idea of a smoke field, but I’m not sure it promotes the type of play style intended for the daredevil. I would rather them buff the staff in some other fashion that would enhance our non-stealth combat, preferably in some kind of defensive manner.

@ OP – I agree this skill needs something changed. People who run the dash dodge trait simply never use this ability. For those that don’t use the dash dodge, it is very strange how it takes 1/4 a second or so before the evade frames kick in. This makes it completely unusable as a skillful dodge unless you’re dodging a hella long cast animation. Feels very clunky

in Thief

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

I 1000% agree ..the #3 Skill looks, feels , and functions terribly.. It is by far the worst skill thief has as a whole. I have played daredevil exclusively in pvp since its earliest beta until now and this skill isn’t getting any better.. Please change it.

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

Fix ideas:
1) make next attack a guaranteed crit on successful evade,
2) restore 1 initiative on successful evade.
3) buff damage by 100%.

Meanwhile, don’t forget body shot, which exceeds all limits when it comes to uselessness.

Signed, level 1 alt

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

@ Sir Vincent III – I like the idea of a smoke field, but I’m not sure it promotes the type of play style intended for the daredevil. I would rather them buff the staff in some other fashion that would enhance our non-stealth combat, preferably in some kind of defensive manner.

I’m talking about Smoke Cloud not Smoke Field. If you’ve fought a Smokescale, you’ll know what I’m talking about.

in Thief

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Make it a short Daze or Stun imo. It’s pretty much useless as it is now.

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Stun breaks. Boom, useful.

Edit: Did not read thread, but decided title said all =P Sorry if off topic.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Thief

Posted by: BFMV.3198

BFMV.3198

Right now, we all know that the staff is in a decent place, but does ened some improvements, mainly skill 3. I myself never use this skill because all the others are much better and I have dash.
The improvements I would like to propose are this
1. Remove the evade from skill 3 and add it to Weakening charge. Weakening charge having the evade instead would make a lot more sense, especially since it is quite a slow skill.
2. Speed up the animation of Weakening charge and decrease its aftercast
3. Thieves do not have access to stuns apart from pistol whip. A staff seems like the perfect place to give us this. Remove staff 3 and exchange it with a charge stun of 600 range.
“Charge forward with your staff and deliver a crushing blow to sun your foe”
This gives us a chance to land vaults and weakening charge.
4. I actually really like skill 4, it fires fast, does decent damage and blinds. I have seen some suggestions for a smoke field but for once I disagree with this as this weaponset does not need stealth, and it would just detract from its main use.
I saw a suggestion for a “Smoke cloud” which seems like a great idea.
“Create a cloud of smoke for the caster to hide within, evading and becoming immune to incoming conditions”.
Duration: 1.5s
Radius. Radius: 240
This allows us to deal with conditions and gives us a decent way to mitigate damage with the blind.
So these are my proposed changes. I think this would put staff in a very viable place and might begin to be the start of the much needed buff
Thank you

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

A Daze instead of Cripple on Staff #3 would be nice, and help it to better synergize with its own traitline.

in Thief

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

If a Daze is added to Staff 3, then the Dodge Component becomes kinda superfluous unless fighting Multiple enemies. In fact, it’d be counter-intuitive as the Daze no doubt would be short in duration, meaning dodging away results in the Daredevil being unable to capitalize on an Interrupt.

I’d rather they moved the Dodge Component to Staff 2, and gave Staff 3 the Chain-Skill-on-Interrupt treatment where Interrupting an enemy with the first quick strike gives you access to another skill, such as an overhead strike that stacks Vulnerability and Cripples the target, or even a short-distance Knockback (Since you’d have to actively Interrupt a target with the Daze, a Knockback component wouldn’t be particularily OP even without CD) in order to add more CC to the Staff.

Just my two cents.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

People would use that as a gimmick rather then a dodge skill

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge