Authenticator Questions/Concerns [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Keyloggers are usually related to computers, and phishing, and personal security, and generally are not specific to a game. They are common with bot and exploit programs, which is one of the reasons we discourage the use of third-party programs.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: FauxShow.6250

FauxShow.6250

I tried to unlink “google authenticator” by going to account recovery, since my iphone was swapped by apple. After entering the required info including my email address, serial number and a charactor name, there were 2 buttons available: “reset password” and “unlink authentication”. However, after clicking on the unlink and confirming, I got a message" there’s been an error, contact support". I repeated the process several times, the same result.

Same problem as you, I got my phone replaced and the only reason I am able to get on the forum is because I have my phones IP saved so it doesn’t ask me for the authenticator. However I didn’t save my hard wire connection and trying to play on 3g isn’t going to happen lol. Hopefully they get that link working so I can reset my authenticator.

Posted by: Lelo Marin.6583

Lelo Marin.6583

I created this account when I first played GW + 1 or 2 of the expansions. Hardly ever played since I couldn’t really get a real feel with the game. I still don’t play much so when i got this email I was quite surprised. I used AVG (registered bought version 2013)

Any suggestion what I can do or should I just keep an eye out for another verification email?
I bought GW2 via this site.

Posted by: Zaken.1806

Zaken.1806

It matter not how much you played GW1. No AV can catch 100% viruses. I use a combination of AV and Anit-Malware software. I also block most of the scripts from website. There are a lot of ways people can install unwanted software onto your computer without your knowledge. The best way is not to access websites you do not know anything of.

As Gaile points out, a lot of those level sites and bot programs are also loaded with keyloggers.

You should add authenticator to your account and write down the serial code for the game and remove the email with code from your account. Watch out if there is more attempt, if so, you might want to format your computer if you can’t find the keylogger.

Posted by: Dolcekit.9506

Dolcekit.9506

i just link my ac to google auth , does it work immediately or need a few hours?

Posted by: Zaken.1806

Zaken.1806

If you are connecting through a known/authorized IP, it doesn’t ask you for authentication code.

Posted by: Mecc.6108

Mecc.6108

Ok I have the authenticator linked to my phone. I still had someone hack my account. It was never a problem until the authenticator quit asking for the pin everytime. Is there anyway to make it so I have to put the pin in everytime and can someone tell me how to set up the email authenticator as well?

Posted by: Dolcekit.9506

Dolcekit.9506

same question as above, but my problem is , it never ask for the pin lol

Posted by: darqwonders.5308

darqwonders.5308

My account is no longer asking for a mobile authenticator code even though I have it linked.

Posted by: sandisonwong.1052

sandisonwong.1052

I use the android mobile authenticator for my account . I recently change my phone (also an android) and forget to unlink the authenticator .what should i do now?pls help thanks

Posted by: enteytin.7138

enteytin.7138

Hey,

I’ve got linked the google Authenticator to my account. It used to work for a few days but now it just doesnt ask for that random code when I log in to the game. So I tried to unlink the Authenticator. It requires a current code, and a different. When I write the current it doenst work (tried it several times) I reinstalled the authenticator but now I dont have the Qr code to configure the app.
I can acces to my account w/o any problem and I can play. But when I try to log from a different computer it asks for the Authenticator code.
Can You disable it on my acc please? Thank You in advance

Posted by: OG Crimson.3846

OG Crimson.3846

The game (and the ANet forums) no longer asks for authentication when you visit from a known IP.

Posted by: zzx.1352

zzx.1352

@ darqwonders
I had the same issue… but…
If you read back a page you will see that your computer will get remembered as a trusted source and will no longer ask for the authentication. You can see the full details in the link below.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/879-remember-this-network-for-authenticator-users/

Posted by: Valmyre.8456

Valmyre.8456

Hi,
i just tried to log into the game and each time it now awaits email Authentication and the client sends me an email to verify my login… why has this suddenly happened ? and after i click the verify login email that was sent it lets me into the game which is good, but it has now asked me last 3 times after i previously verified the login…… can anyone please advise?

Posted by: Leira.9702

Leira.9702

You should click “remember thsi network”.
It happens because your ISP isnt carrying the same information at all times like the location.

Please make sure you are certain its you who is trying to login. DOnt allow logins from a different country for example.

Also make sure to use Headlines for threats that tell what they are about. For example “Why do I suddenly have to authorize every of my logins?” or similar would be helpfull here ^^

D.

Posted by: Valmyre.8456

Valmyre.8456

Thanks Leira that has solved the issue , seems strange that this has just happened though after months of playing…
Yes i did make sure it was my ip address , location before allowing..
Thanks for your help

(edited by Valmyre.8456)

Posted by: Leira.9702

Leira.9702

It might be that after certain patches the saved networks get reset so you have to add them to the list again.
I think that might be the case since I remember to had to add my usual network as well 2 days ago or sth like that.

Posted by: Novalice.5239

Novalice.5239

Are there any thoughts on possibly adding the option to use a Key-Chain device Authentication to log in with?

On a subscription MMO that I left in the past there was the feeling of: ‘We will just lock your account when it is compromised.’ instead of a ‘Lets add a feature to help make the accounts more secure.’. I realize that computer security is an illusion at all levels, that the only completely secure system is the one you never power up. However, it is up to a developer to decide how much to invest in defenses and what is an acceptable level of risk. For me the feeling I had about locking the account after it was compromised was lacking of a subscription game, or any game with a substantial price tag associated to it.

Novalice Savril (Novalice.5239)
Exemplar of the Melcindomien
www.Melc.Guildportal.com

enteytin.7138

Yes, but I wanted to log from another place where it required the authenticator. Now I have deleted the program from my phone so I can’t login from another place. Can’t even unlock the authenticator from the account

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Are there any thoughts on possibly adding the option to use a Key-Chain device Authentication to log in with?

No plans at this time, although it has been discussed. There are issues with any system, and I don’t think we’re heading down that road.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I see quite a few questions for which you can find answers on the Knowledge Base.

For questions about E-mail Authentication, see this post.

For questions about Two-Factor (mobile) Authentication, please see our FAQ.

If you continue to have questions, please read through this thread for player-to-player assistance, or contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

enteytin.7138

I see your point, but I’m still unable to unlink the authenticator. When I click on it, it requires the current code. But I don’t have the app on my mobile any more. ( If I try to reinstall the app on the mobile it requires QR code which I cant get )

Posted by: Alesthes.4287

Alesthes.4287

Any news on the bar code recognition not working while setting up the mobile App?
I still get an error message for invalid code.
I already joined two forum threads about the issue but the problem was never addressed.
Maybe I have missed something? Thanks…

- Guild Wars 2 Roleplayers Community
Piken Square – EU Unofficial RP server
Tarnished Coast – US Unofficial RP server

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

No plans at this time, although it has been discussed. There are issues with any system, and I don’t think we’re heading down that road.

This can already be done easily with any TOTP capable device (if ANet correctly implemented TOTP according to RFC 6238, wich they did according to the FAQ), please see my post and Keiko’s very good detailed reply on how to do it with a Yubikey here. The Battle.net authenticator Blizzard offers also is just a branded Vasco DIGIPASS GO 6, so this device could also be used (it’s more expensive but also a bit more secure because it doesn’t require a client component).
Also see this thread. Should I create a separate thread on that topic? Seems to be asked frequently. You could also add it to the FAQ for convenience.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

(edited by Iruwen.3164)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

This can already be done easily with any TOTP capable device (if ANet correctly implemented TOTP according to RFC 6238, wich they did according to the FAQ), please see my post and Keiko’s very good detailed reply on how to do it with a Yubikey here. The Battle.net authenticator Blizzard offers also is just a branded Vasco DIGIPASS GO 6, so this device could also be used (it’s more expensive but also a bit more secure because it doesn’t require a client component).
Also see this thread. Should I create a separate thread on that topic? Seems to be asked frequently. You could also add it to the FAQ for convenience.

Thanks for the info, Iruwen! I’m sure that folks who are asking this will be wise enough to search this thread and find the details you’ve provided. I’m not sure about adding it to the FAQ because since we are not offering the “dongle,” we cannot support it, and having it in the FAQ might confuse the issue.

But this is good info and thanks again for posting.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The FAQ already states that any software supporting RFC compliant TOTP can be used, so adding that any hardware device doing this will also work probably won’t hurt:

Can I use a different app with Guild Wars 2?

Any app which supports the TOTP/OATH standard (IETF RFC 6238) can be used with the Guild Wars 2 two-factor authentication scheme. Please consult the provider of your app to determine if it meets this standard.

Since the question just came up here again it may be worth a try, I doubt people actually look this up in the FAQ before asking though, so it’s probably a just waste of effort

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

How does one un-remember a network from your GW2 account? I tried disconnecting logins from my account, but I simply get a page not found error.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Shako.3456

Shako.3456

Ok here is the deal. I have activated Email Authentication, and I have had it for a looooong time. But suddenly, the past few days, when I login it does not send an email. You know, that email where it gives you a link and in the link you must permit or deny the access that is being tried on your account. It just instantly logs me in. And this is scary. This makes me vulnerable. I have talked with you before. You guys just ignored me after resetting my password and mya ccount like a hundred times, you just ignored me. But now I am asking you to fix this please.I do not feel safe. I even tried the google autheticator and it is the same deal.

Posted by: zhouyenyen.9581

zhouyenyen.9581

I’m also looking for a way to delete remembered network from my account. I accidentally ticked “remember this network” box when my intention was going to click Allow. I was logging in from my tunnel connection (pingzapper). I submitted a ticket and the answers provided are unsatisfactory.

First, the support replied by asking my serial number, paypal transaction number, 4 last digit credit card number used to purchase GW2 account, my display name and the invoice ID to verify my ownerships of the account. Having provided all of those information, the support replied with subject : Account restored. I followed the link and turns out it’s password reset link. This is totally different from my question.

I replied once more pointing out that I want to delete remembered network, the support merely replied :
“The ability to manage previously approved or denied locations is not available at this time. If this feature becomes available in the future, this would be posted on our Guild Wars 2 Official site. Also, please keep an eye on the Facebook and/or Twitter page for updates.”

If ArenaNet is to going to provide “Remember this network” option, then there should be a control panel in my account to manage these remembered networks. I do hope the “near future” in the reply won’t take too long. Who can I blame if there something happened to my account? I’m sure it’s me even when I have requested for support. Oh and please put “remember this network” box somewhere not too close with “Allow” button.

Posted by: Ortonius.1042

Ortonius.1042

Good evening,

At about 1:30 today I got an e-mail stating that someone was trying to access my account from overseas, clearly from an ISP that I did not recognize. When I tried to deny access I was given an error message on this website. Unfortunately I was at work so there wasn’t much I could do.

Upon arriving home I have now changed my password. I was trying to set up the mobile authenticator but I’m getting the error message that the barcode I am scanning is not valid. Any ideas on this? I really feel like I need to add this for extra security.

Posted by: Genev.2450

Genev.2450

Copy-pasted from a post I made since I hadn’t realised this thread was for e-mail authentification too
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Security-issue/first#post894107

Hej,

Today, 2 of my guildmembers got hacked, one lost all characters and legendary, the other “just” lost all of his stuff. Neither got an e-mail about anyone else trying to access their account, 1 got told it was done from her IP (Couldn’t have happened), 1 is waiting for an answer from support atm since he was out all day and only just checked.

This made me and some others paranoid and change our passwords. None of us got an e-mail our passwords were changed, when the first guildmate’s password got changed by ANet, even though she’d already changed it, she got no e-mail about it either, just sudden password change.

We all have the correct e-mail adresses linked to our accounts.

This really makes me worry about security, the fact that apparently people can log in despite e-mail authentication (and i don’t have a smartphone so can’t get a mobile one) and change passwords without anyone finding out until they log in again, get into our accounts, whatever.

Is the e-mail system still active? Has there been a security breach somewhere on ArenaNet’s side?

Thank you,
Gen

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

This isn’t too much of an issue but I have told the email authenticator to remember my IP address but occasionally it makes me authenticate again even though I never use a different computer. Mostly I am asking out of curiosity as to why that would be (like I said to start as long as I follow the authentication process there are no issues and I’m not being hacked or anything).

Cheers

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Sigil Baram.8561

Sigil Baram.8561

This isn’t too much of an issue but I have told the email authenticator to remember my IP address but occasionally it makes me authenticate again even though I never use a different computer. Mostly I am asking out of curiosity as to why that would be (like I said to start as long as I follow the authentication process there are no issues and I’m not being hacked or anything).

Cheers

You, like everyone else in the world who doesn’t pay extra money for a static IP address, have a Dynamic IP address. Some other random person now has the ‘network’ you told ANet to memorize. See my earlier post in this thread.

DON’T CHECK THE REMEMBER BOX. It might be annoying but the network you are saving isn’t YOURS. It is your ISP’s and they pass it around to all their clients every time your modem reboots or even more often depending on your ISP.

@ANet:

So no comment on a system besides authorizing random IP addresses? I’m really confused how the fact that most the world has Dynamic IP address was a surprise or that the fact seems to be ignored and you are still letting people have them authorized permanently…

I really love your games, but this ignored annoyance/security issue is kind of disappointing.

(edited by Sigil Baram.8561)

Posted by: Praetor.3081

Praetor.3081

the authenticator isn’t working. it just keeps asking me to enter the numeric secret code regardless whether i use it or scan the QR code with my phone.

i am sick of having to go to my email to authorize access.

Posted by: Wakwazu.3281

Wakwazu.3281

First, the Google App will say the QR code is wrong even though it matches the code displayed.

Second, when I type in the code instead of using the QR scanner, then go to type in the provided authenticator key the screen just resets with a new code.

Third, I make a sad face, and pet my cat to calm me down.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

You, like everyone else in the world who doesn’t pay extra money for a static IP address, have a Dynamic IP address. Some other random person now has the ‘network’ you told ANet to memorize. See my earlier post in this thread.

DON’T CHECK THE REMEMBER BOX. It might be annoying but the network you are saving isn’t YOURS. It is your ISP’s and they pass it around to all their clients every time your modem reboots or even more often depending on your ISP.

Oh alright I suppose that makes sense, thanks for the reply.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Belryn.1456

Belryn.1456

Lots of talk, but how do I disable this useless Mail Authentication nonsense now?

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

I added one to my account but it doesn’t ask for the code when I sign in?

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: Cyrus.8261

Cyrus.8261

It doesn’t ask for a code when logging in from IP addresses (networks) you previously set to remember while using the email authentication. If you try to log in from a different IP range, you do get a prompt for a code.

Arsenic Touch.7960

It doesn’t ask for a code when logging in from IP addresses (networks) you previously set to remember while using the email authentication. If you try to log in from a different IP range, you do get a prompt for a code.

That’s not what it says after you put it on there it says you’ll need to authenticate every time you play or log onto the forum. Neither time prompted the authentication.

Posted by: Cyrus.8261

Cyrus.8261

It used to be that way for a few weeks, and then ArenaNet listened to the people that prefer convenience over security and changed it so that you don’t have to enter a code when coming from remembered networks.

I prefer the old way, still hoping they give us an option for that.

Arsenic Touch.7960

That’s bad. Should have an option to prompt it at all times. Just in case they some how get a hold of your network or remote access your computer.

Posted by: zbrkesbr.4173

zbrkesbr.4173

I always thought that those who install authenticator DO WANT to input code on every log in, for everybody else there is mail auth system where you can remember your network…
It seems A-Nets thinks otherwise.

War doesn’t determine who is right, only who is left.

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

It used to be that way for a few weeks, and then ArenaNet listened to the people that prefer convenience over security and changed it so that you don’t have to enter a code when coming from remembered networks.

I prefer the old way, still hoping they give us an option for that.

That makes it almost useless in my opinion. It should ask all the time.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Once you remember a location, the mobile authenticator does not ask you about that particular location again. It will ask you about different locations, of course.

The two-factor/mobile authentication system is still in beta form, and I believe that in the final form, you will have the option to tell it “Don’t remember locations; ask me every time” which I believe is what a few of you would like to see.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: AnonEMouse.7932

AnonEMouse.7932

I’d also like to see an option to request the code every so often (like 1, 2, or 4 weeks), regardless of setting.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Cheers

@ANet:

So no comment on a system besides authorizing random IP addresses? I’m really confused how the fact that most the world has Dynamic IP address was a surprise or that the fact seems to be ignored and you are still letting people have them authorized permanently…

I really love your games, but this ignored annoyance/security issue is kind of disappointing.

The issue is those who selected it in the past but still were asked for a code. That was totally fine. Having it not ask for a code at all with a remembered network is baffling. It’s also further worsened by the fact you can’t forget any remembered network.

Hell, last time I checked, you can’t even disconnect someone from your account page without getting a page error. I would rather that ANet change the system back to asking a code every time rather than leaving it based on IP check that we can’t even manage if we happened to click it once.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: callannn.4761

callannn.4761

Hi there,

I am currently on Step 2: Link Your Account and I have entered my secret code into the app but then when I enter the code I receive to test the link it just refreshes the page and gives me a new secret code. Is it meant to do this?

Thanks

Posted by: Avorniel.5708

Avorniel.5708

today me and my gf keep getting Emails asking us to verify where we are connecting through which isn’t a problem but so far the Ip Address,City,Region,Country are the same with every email we get,so any idea what is going on or is it just a glitch?

Thnks

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

No, it’s not supposed to do that.

I was looking at the Authentication FAQ., and I don’t know that there’s anything there that would help you. Perhaps another player can respond here if they have overcome this “refresh” situation, but if not, I’d suggest you contact Support.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet