Launcher Issues [merged]

Launcher Issues [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I’m having issues with the launcher as well. It shows initializing but then just puts the launcher in the task bar and won’t show it on screen.

I googled the problem which brought up an old post with a similar problem that said deleting the .dat file (the game makes a new one on launch) might help, but it didn’t : / It still just minimizes after the “initializing…” and won’t show on screen.

Tried to get a new copy of the game, but same thing happens when I try to do that.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

My game client won’t even start! WTH is this?! I can click it till kingdom come and no reaction from the game!

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Splanky.7209

Splanky.7209

same here launcher pops up but disappears a couple seconds later and it just sits like that

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: grubnick.7849

grubnick.7849

I’m having the same problem. The launcher starts but does not accept any inputs into the name and password fields – it appears frozen. If I run it as administrator it changes the look of the launcher but still does not allow any inputs.

Running Win8.1 Pro 64 bit. Compatibility mode with different versions of windows has no effect.

Thief main plus a few alts – Sanctum of Rall

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Splanky.7209

Splanky.7209

like to know an answer to this or at least see a reaction from anet considering a lot of ppl have this problem

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: MrRoobish.7195

MrRoobish.7195

i have this problem too. i just want to play

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Devon.9375

Devon.9375

So much for buying things when they were cheap…. please anet, I don’t wanna pay tons of gold for something I could have gotten for really cheap at release

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Rafal.9062

Rafal.9062

try this one:
1. create shortcut to Gw2.exe
2. right click on newly created shortcut -> Properties and add params like this: “C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -email your@email.com -password yourpassword -nopatchui
3. run from your new shortcut

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: FredVK.4025

FredVK.4025

I have the exact same issue…. Tried repairing the game, re-opening the launcher etc… It even got me to re-install it and now I can’t even click the “Install Guild Wars 2” button -.-

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Funny, I’ve been getting a crash every single time I closed my game since two patches ago. Guess it won’t be fixed in this one, then.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: the shadowdove.2749

the shadowdove.2749

try this one:
2. right click on newly created shortcut -> Properties and add params like this: “C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -email your@email.com -password yourpassword -nopatchui

Is this really a path?

Seems kind of sketchy.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Dayita Godess.3201

Dayita Godess.3201

I am getting the same thing. I can get all the way to my character screen then went I try to load into an area I get a error message.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

try this one:

Logged in just to say thanks, this worked for me!
Good job on finding it.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

Hello,

Like many others, I’ve had the trading post crash the game. I tried to launch it again, but after logging in and pressing the “Play Now” button, I now receive an error message, stating that the 3D output fails, and that I should be checking my DirectX9 settings… A bit strange, considering I was playing a few minutes before.

Restarting the computer does not help, nor does clearing GW2 local data (My Documents/Guild Wars 2/local.dat and AppData/Roaming/Guild Wars2/local .dat).

I’ve read that many people tried to re-install the game to no avail, and this is an option I’d like to avoid, as it takes about 8 hours to complete.

Thank you, and regards.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: HBNole.4396

HBNole.4396

Ditto, Elegie. Same here. I can’t even start the game any more.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Anoyze.6713

Anoyze.6713

The installer freezes also ( in uninstalled and tried to re install)
http://gyazo.com/7a362b993b97977a9ed20ca5f993c65d

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

try this one:

Having same problem as everyone else. Tried this, I bypass the log in screen but end up with a black screen and the GW2 cursor and never actually make it to the character select screen.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: destorsion.2049

destorsion.2049

aswell same thing here it never did this till the patch i t grabbed a few hundred kb and then now it doesnt work

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

Now I can’t even get the new patch

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: TruTexan.1603

TruTexan.1603

Hey, see if this helps!
1. Create a shortcut for GW2
2. Rename it “Guild Wars 2 Repair”
3. Right Click the shortcut
4. Go to properties
5. find “Target” and it should say something like this “C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” add “-repair” to the end so it should look like this

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -repair

6. Press OK
7. Go ahead and double click the shortcut
BTW i had to open it, close it, than open it again for the repair window to come up, hope this works and if it doesn’t, it will take patience but they will fix it! DON’T REINSTALL!!!!

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Evoguyfhp.7409

Evoguyfhp.7409

i tried the repair thing . it didn’t work did it twice.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: juliatomko.8075

juliatomko.8075

i just tried the repair and it froze up at about 25%

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Dricnis.3260

Dricnis.3260

try this one:

Having same problem as everyone else. Tried this, I bypass the log in screen but end up with a black screen and the GW2 cursor and never actually make it to the character select screen.

Warning: Putting your password in a shortcut or a batch file makes it easily accessible to everybody with access to your computer.
Never use this option if you are sharing your computer with other people whom you do not trust completely.

Create a new direct acess and add this: after <…>\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe

Example:
-email myname@myprovider.com -password 12345 -nopatchui
Note If your password includes spaces, it needs to be enclosed in quote marks.
Example:
-email myname@myprovider.com -password “1234 5” -nopatchui

This worked for me, try it.
Remember to enclose you password in quote marks if includes spaces.
It takes a while because it’s downloading the files, but just give it 5 minuts or something.

If you get into a black screen with the cursor only you must have putted something wrong, check it and try again.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Baron of Winters.5697

Baron of Winters.5697

Same issue – launch the program, it went through a downloading screen, but then the login box vanished. Still active in the taskbar, still active in the task manager. But nothing except my regular old desktop… I tried the “Repairing Data Archive” trick, but to no avail.

Windows 7, SP1, 64 bit OS.
4 GB ram, Intel Core2 Quad Q8200,
NVIDIA GeForce GT240
M-Audio FastTrack Pro

Hope Anet informs us when there’s a fix. Cheers.

(edited by Baron of Winters.5697)

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

try this one:

Warning: Putting your password in a shortcut or a batch file makes it easily accessible to everybody with access to your computer.
Never use this option if you are sharing your computer with other people whom you do not trust completely.

Create a new direct acess and add this: after <…>\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe

Example:
-email myname@myprovider.com -password 12345 -nopatchui
Note If your password includes spaces, it needs to be enclosed in quote marks.
Example:
-email myname@myprovider.com -password “1234 5” -nopatchui

This worked for me, try it.
Remember to enclose you password in quote marks if includes spaces.
It takes a while because it’s downloading the files, but just give it 5 minuts or something.

If you get into a black screen with the cursor only you must have putted something wrong, check it and try again.

Didn’t work for me : /

Guess I’ll go play some hearthstone and watch some AOA kpop videos to cheer myself up.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: WildMonkey.6927

WildMonkey.6927

I didnt even get the chance of DOWNLOADING the new patch. The game just worked perfectly yesterday, now it just acts like it is downloading the game, aaaaand…just disappears. it’s still running in taskbar, still in the background, just doing nothing….

I’ve tried everything, I’ve uninstalled any sort of trash programs from starting up with Windows, and downright deleting some others.. I also uninstalled to reinstall, and i just get the same problem without even being able to download ANYTHING. I’ve never had this problem before, is there anyone who may help me with this? I’ve tried solutions mentioned in other forum posts, which also didn’t work lol…

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Sorrow.7384

Sorrow.7384

It’s interesting to note that when you run the setup file, it runs a gw2.exe file in Users > YOUR_USERNAME > AppData > Local > Temp.

While it’s sitting your taskbar unable to maximize or do anything, the gw2.dat file is constantly growing in size in the Temp folder.

I’m going to let it run for a while and see what happens. It’s already at 2gb and in Resource Monitor I can see it downloading stuff from a CDN.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: ObnoxiousProxy.9123

ObnoxiousProxy.9123

I’m having the same problem here. I really wanted to see the new patch… This is brutal. Hopefully we get a fix soon.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Thanks for these reports. Please continue to include details of your experience, as the info you provide may aid in solving the issues.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

Same issues here. Every time I double click on the launcher to open it up, nothing happens. It’s like the computer thinks that it’s still running even though it clearly isn’t.

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Evoguyfhp.7409

this really sucks.. it was my only early day off this week arrg. letting the blank thing run for a bit see if the file tops out while it gets bigger

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: annieoakley.8165

annieoakley.8165

Having the same issue: I try to launch the install launcher, it minimizes to my taskbar and nothing else happens. I’ve rebooted, cleared cache, and even direct connected to the internet via my router instead of wirelessly, still nothing happens.. Thanks a lot Anet!

[BEEP] Explicit
Man has will, but Woman has her way – Oliver Wendell Holmes

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: cruzenpl.3740

cruzenpl.3740

same issues here, I wanted to try reinstall and now my client frezze all the time

Attachments:

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: ObnoxiousProxy.9123

ObnoxiousProxy.9123

Based on my observations, some of the code continues running in the background even though the launcher UI is unresponsive. I was able to finish the update by letting it stay like that for a period of time; however, the problem persists and as such I was unable to login. After some attempts to fix the problem I accidentally uninstalled the game, and now it is reinstalling. Once again it is unresponsive at the launcher menu, but the game itself is downloading. I can see this by looking at my task manager and see that guildwars2.exe is using up 8.4mbps of bandwidth.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Nate Shuuya.9586

Nate Shuuya.9586

Thanks for these reports. Please continue to include details of your experience, as the info you provide may aid in solving the issues.

brilliant way to acknowledge everyone without actually helping!

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Tsye Kizer.1408

Tsye Kizer.1408

Hey, at least it’s being acknowledged. I’d rather have a problem knowing someone is working on it than having a problem and being in the dark about whether anyone is doing anything.

I’ve also been trying to get my launcher to work. I open it up, and it just freezes without being able to do anything about it. I can only close it by right clicking on my task bar or using the task manager. It seems to start up fine, shows the screen where it is initializing, disappears, reappears with the login window filled with my details, but frozen and inaccessible. Very frustrating…

Thief – Razia Alabdulrahman
SBI

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: the shadowdove.2749

the shadowdove.2749

I went to the neighbors and wired into their router….it worked.

came home and hit up the wifi.

fix ed it.

might be something to do with the new patch and wireless security settings.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: WildMonkey.6927

WildMonkey.6927

Thank you for giving an eye on this issue, Arenanet Has there been any fix?

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Nate Shuuya.9586

Nate Shuuya.9586

Hey, at least it’s being acknowledged. I’d rather have a problem knowing someone is working on it than having a problem and being in the dark about whether anyone is doing anything.

I’ve also been trying to get my launcher to work. I open it up, and it just freezes without being able to do anything about it. I can only close it by right clicking on my task bar or using the task manager. It seems to start up fine, shows the screen where it is initializing, disappears, reappears with the login window filled with my details, but frozen and inaccessible. Very frustrating…

I just find it rude that after 50 some odd complaints that is all he has to say. He could say a lot more, explain maybe something that’s going odd. Instead of trying to cover up their mistakes.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Mizukiaki.8590

Mizukiaki.8590

Based on my observations, some of the code continues running in the background even though the launcher UI is unresponsive. I was able to finish the update by letting it stay like that for a period of time; however, the problem persists and as such I was unable to login. After some attempts to fix the problem I accidentally uninstalled the game, and now it is reinstalling. Once again it is unresponsive at the launcher menu, but the game itself is downloading. I can see this by looking at my task manager and see that guildwars2.exe is using up 8.4mbps of bandwidth.

I kinda thought it was doing something in the background so I have been leaving mine open the same way you did. The file count has been dropping on mine.

Great games come and go, but the Awesome games are endless!!
Matron Kaldona Kye, Mesmer GW since launch.
Matron Kaldona Kye, Sylvari Chronomancer GW2 since closed Beta.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Sneaky Kevin.3285

Sneaky Kevin.3285

Really hope this gets fixed soon.
Here’s a bit of the error code if it helps.

Attachments:

Launcher Issues [merged]

Evoguyfhp.7409

how big is the actual game? im like 7 gigs in on the file that keeps growing lol

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Tremont.7612

Tremont.7612

Hey Devs. Let the marketing guys know that I am willing to pay a monthly fee for a more stable game. The last few weeks have been very discouraging. Today’s foolishness makes me want to return to EQ2.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Sorrow.7384

It’s interesting to note that when you run the setup file, it runs a gw2.exe file in Users > YOUR_USERNAME > AppData > Local > Temp.

While it’s sitting your taskbar unable to maximize or do anything, the gw2.dat file is constantly growing in size in the Temp folder.

I’m going to let it run for a while and see what happens. It’s already at 2gb and in Resource Monitor I can see it downloading stuff from a CDN.

Well it finished, flashed in the taskbar but was still unable to maximized. I right click “closed” the application and ran it again and it still just sits there in the taskbar and running in the background.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Slingblade.9134

Slingblade.9134

I have also cleared the cache in my app data folder and it recreates the following files each time I try to launch and freeze out; data 0, data 1, data 2, data 3 and index.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

how big is the actual game? im like 7 gigs in on the file that keeps growing lol

About 18.8 Gigabytes.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Launcher Issues [merged]

Sorrow.7384

This could be a problem with CoherentUI.

I moved gw2.exe, gw2.dat, gw2.tmp from Temp into a folder in My Documents. I made lib/CoherentUI_Host.exe read only and now I get the launcher but the login button is blanked out.

I also see this in Resourcemon under the Disk Tab:

Image PID File Read (B/sec) Write (B/sec) Total (B/sec) I/O Priority Response Time (ms)
System 4 C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_CoherentUI_Host._1efc1b3d816256be3401f99fd4e4bb226bdc9cd_cab_0eb8b3e7 0 74 74 Background 0

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: RobinOh.5207

RobinOh.5207

We have got a second short patch (Germany) but the problem was not fixed. If you start the program normal, the launcher freeze, no login into the game.

So we start the game with param at time, too. See this thread ^^

Launcher Issues [merged]

Evoguyfhp.7409

thank you sir

About 18.8 Gigabytes.

Launcher Issues [merged]

Posted by: Alukard.4275

Alukard.4275

Whenever I launched the client it froze, similar to the reports here. I’ve tried multiple vpns, because I’ve figured it might be a connection issue. Also disabled my firewall ( personal, I don’t have access to the external). Still kept freezing. Tried reinstalling and I still got the same issue.

Lastly, I tethered via my phone. Remarkably this did indeed work. It started downloading the files and it wouldn’t freeze. Obviously I canceled the process since I don’t wanna waste my whole content on downloading a 20gb game.

Windows 7
All drivers up to date.

(edited by Alukard.4275)