in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Kitten, did twilight go crazy again?

Is Scarlet a Villain Sue? [Merged ]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

I am serious when I say this but the Mad King felt threatening, minus past 4 of halloween which should be deleted where as a lot of these other bad guys do not or a joke. He feels a cross from the joker in the original batman movie with the new one!

Again Aetherplate pirates are clowns with bad batteries.

The Mad King is more deserving of the title as the personal nemesis than Scarlet is. I mean, I am eagerly anticipating his arrival. He’s nemesis material.

I really really like him! I started playing around Halloween which sucked me into GW2 but its pretty downhill for the most part from there in terms of story. Molten Alliance seemed like it was going be awesome but was meh for me anyways…

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

…I think we still have much to find out rather than “we know all we will ever find out”.

There is a lot more to come. The Living World story is paced very differently than other content in the game, partially due to the nature of how we build and release it. I won’t spoil anything other than say that we’ll reveal more in time.

Your ‘pacing’ is too slow. I don’t remember what happened last content update…some politics or a party or something. By the time you tie this story in with the others, I will have forgotten it too.

Aside from the poor/lazy/unintelligible storytelling, these Living Story ‘chapters’ don’t work very well if you keep ripping them from the book once they are read.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

I don’t get it. The way i see it is that she just wants to be evil for the
fun of it and acts like a lunatic.

This is basically the same as Kefka and everyone loves that guy,
he is by many considered to be the best villain of the whole FF series,
so why the whole Scarlett bashing?
Don’t get me wrong, i think the character could have been done better
but the way the LS is structured i think the writers did a decent job,
i mean if you go down the route of ’’I’m doing this just because i am so evil. Harrharr!‘’
then it’s better to create a character similar to Scarlett insted of for example
Baelfire who didn’t have a motive at all but was evil
‘for some reason i guess(?)’

baelfire wants to be the supreme ruler of the charr, as well as become a god or some kitten. he has reasons.

Yes that makes sense but a reason to seek power doesn’t equal a reason for being evil.
Also i’m not familiar with gw1 lore so… It’s just that the point was brought up that
not many villains in that universe seem to have good reasons for what they do.

I just think that a ‘Deadpool’ does make more sense than a ‘serious’ villain
who’s lacking purpose.

flame legion used to be the top guys of the charr hierarchy, because they found some “gods” (that turns out were just titans) and used the power of the searing cauldron to kitten up humans.

but they were sexists (which eventually led to a female charr revolt), and their magic kinda ruined the place the charr wanted to take back and live in. that, among other things, led the flame legion to be kicked out by the other legions and become outcasts.

baelfire wants those glory days of the flame legion back, and he wants to be the “god” that pushes that forward. he DOES have good motives, even though they’re evil motives.

but that’s going off topic.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Heizero.9183

Heizero.9183

I really like Scarlet’s character… i feel like she’s alot of fun. she was supposed to come off as a lunatic with cheesy 1 liners, which i think is kind of refreshing and fun to play against…

Commander Unyielding Shadow – Human Thief
Champion Shadow
Better Luck Next Time [BLNT]-Sea of Sorrows

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

…I think we still have much to find out rather than “we know all we will ever find out”.

There is a lot more to come. The Living World story is paced very differently than other content in the game, partially due to the nature of how we build and release it. I won’t spoil anything other than say that we’ll reveal more in time.

Your ‘pacing’ is too slow. I don’t remember what happened last content update…some politics or a party or something. By the time you tie this story in with the others, I will have forgotten it too.

Aside from the poor/lazy/unintelligible storytelling, these Living Story ‘chapters’ don’t work very well if you keep ripping them from the book once they are read.

I really think they need to instance and/or phased this stuff including entire areas yes. For example with Molten Alliance LS, the entire area of Wayfarer hills has a seperate Wayfarer Hills which is instance but focuses soley on the invasion. You can run around the whole are like before but it will focus MA events and stuff. Plus they could even juice up more since it wouldn’t interfer with lowbies such as MA attack forts and towns. Hoelbrak gets burned to the ground? No problem cause that part is a seperate instance.

WoW actually did this where Orgrimmar nad Undercity, the Orc and Undeadcaptial city was completely phased for people who were on a certain quest line. You could go anywhere in the city like usual unless certain parts were blocked off for story purposed cause it was under martial law/invasion depending which one you were in.

Aion has a battleground that was a main hub city in a previous expansion. The city still remains there for others to enjoy but you can do the instance version for the new expansion as it was pretty much razed.

For like DR you have the hole still there, phased out. until you do a certain part of the story to open up the Gauntlet and rebuilding of the hole.

(edited by Meriem.3504)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

The only problem I had here was that Scarlet’s personality (while humorous and much more fun than Canach) seems to have come out of no where. I’m hoping that we get to learn a bit more about her backstory (such as reuse the whole vision thing used to find out about Caladbolg) so the mania isn’t so out of left field. Flame and Frost made the person behind the scenes seem to be cloak and daggers, not coocoo for cocoa puffs.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Cliff.8679

Cliff.8679

Just wanted to add my personal feedback.

I think Tara Strong does a brilliant job with the voiceacting for Scarlet, as well as whoever’s been writing her dialogue, and that alone really elevates her into a character I’ve been enjoying as being part of the story. She’s a fun character.

That being said, I’m also bothered by her background. It’s just a little too ridiculous, and it’s definitely where the whole “Villain Sue” accusations come from. A sylvari that got special dispensation and graduated from all three asura colleges in record time? Who’s apparently more intelligent and devious than any character we’ve met in the game (even compared to asura?) Come on. Especially considering she’s the insane type, which already brings down her credibility as being the mastermind; she seems like she would work better as a prominent minion that carries out the mastermind’s plans. Trahearne was bad enough, and now we have another sylvari that has no business being portrayed the way the story portrays them. Honestly, I think there’s a pretty big problem with how the story positions sylvari characters throughout the entirety of GW2 (second-in-command of the Vigil, for example) but that’s another topic entirely.

I’m really, really hoping that there’s a good explanation for Scarlet’s outrageous and unrealistic backstory. I’m having trouble coming up with one myself, though. If there isn’t, and Scarlet’s background is exactly what it seems, then I really hope you guys can temper your future story characters to be more believable within the context of Tyria.

I do want to mention that you guys do a lot of things right. The way you’ve handled Faren in particular, has been very enjoyable. I wasn’t really a huge fan of him during the personal story, but you guys really made him come into his own during the living story. I also like what you’ve done with Logan (the cutscene with the bomb going off and him using his guardian magic to protect the child was a great touch). The cutscenes have been getting a lot better, and Rox and Braham’s banter has been fun (if a little cringe-worthy sometimes…Kuh-Braham!). Revisiting places like Cragstead, North Nolan Hatchery, etc. that show a lasting impact on the story is when the living story really shines. And even though you guys have had some bugs preventing it from triggering at times, characters recognizing you and what you’ve done in previous living story events really go a long way to include us in a story that very easily runs the risk of making the player just feel like they’re along for the ride rather than being a major influence.

Looking forward to seeing how the story plays out, and I’m sure you’ll continue to improve your approaches to the living story and the characters you populate it with. Thanks again for all the hard work.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

The presentation of her background bothers me, but the character can be salvaged. Assuming she has been insane for a while, I think the odds are heavily against her having complied with the Colleges’ rules to graduate legitimately.

As for her having “studied” with the other races, we have no idea what that means. Rumors have a way of blowing things out of proportion, so I’m going to ignore this part until/unless we hear more about it.

She has been hinted at since Flame & Frost, but is so far detached from the players’ experiences that she has been irrelevant. This is the biggest problem.

Players could have met her early on as a slightly broken but non-evil savant of interest, watched the emerging Aetherblades make promises to her that they couldn’t keep, followed her as she pushed herself through experiments to expand her capabilities, rescued College heads she kidnapped when they wouldn’t give her degrees in subjects she barely understood, stood by masters from all the races as she challenged them one-by-one and was beaten.

We could have come to care for her, and been saddened whenever a new crack appeared in the facade of her sanity as she was pushed further and further by the Aetherblade Admirals who kept making more and more promises.

It could have been SO MUCH STORY, and all we got was a maniacal laugh.

I should be writing.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Well we did get Kiel (which people still hated). But I agree the problem here is her suddenly active role in the story when so far she was very much in the background.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: unseenone.1463

unseenone.1463

I must say I was REALLY hoping that the story was going to be more than some crazy person. I want to see a multifaceted character, something realistic, not all bad or all good, someone with complicated motivations. This scarlet was far too simple of a stereotypical bady guy, and far too much like the joker from batman. (which could be ok, if for example someone like anise started down a path of darkness)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Bearlin.7238

Bearlin.7238

Scarlet’s character bothers me as much as Kiel’s does. Both feel like very flat characters (at least that’s how they are presented now). I was hoping they would reveal more, considering that they said that this patch was going to be a “wrap up” of what is going on exactly. I was so creeped out by the vandalism that went on in the patch release website, thinking that we would at least get a little darker with the storyline. And yet, we still get this absurd story about Scarlet being asura-trained and whatnot. I am hoping that the “Battle of Divinity’s Reach” from the asura personal story is connected to what is going on now so we can get a sensible reason for Scarlet’s madness, but I am definitely lowering my expectations for Living Story now.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

The problem is that Jeff and Ree are either very busy with building the overarching lore (and giving into the subpar ideas of the new writers) or are held back so the LS writing team can have their “fun.”

I can’t comment on what Ree and Jeff are working on, but I can say that I’m ultimately responsible for the quality of the Living World story. I don’t imagine we’ll please everyone with our new direction, but that’s true of any story. That stated, I encourage people to leave their feedback. Just please be respectful.

Mm, no, the problem might be that the LS writers are trying to have it be “fun and entertaining” as opposed to “stirring and exquisite writing”. Which is good, because people shooting for “stirring and exquisite writing” sometimes risk missing the mark and moving right on into “boring and pretentious” or too far into “just plain boring”. Like shooting for Inception and instead getting Minority Report.

This is true.

. . . on a semi-related note? Who is voicing Scarlet Briar?

Tara Strong

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0152839/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

We have Dil Pickles, Bubbles, Raven, Ben Tennyson, Poof, and Ted’s “I Love You!” Box all rolled into one character?

Attachments:

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The problem is that Jeff and Ree are either very busy with building the overarching lore (and giving into the subpar ideas of the new writers) or are held back so the LS writing team can have their “fun.”

I can’t comment on what Ree and Jeff are working on, but I can say that I’m ultimately responsible for the quality of the Living World story. I don’t imagine we’ll please everyone with our new direction, but that’s true of any story. That stated, I encourage people to leave their feedback. Just please be respectful.

Mm, no, the problem might be that the LS writers are trying to have it be “fun and entertaining” as opposed to “stirring and exquisite writing”. Which is good, because people shooting for “stirring and exquisite writing” sometimes risk missing the mark and moving right on into “boring and pretentious” or too far into “just plain boring”. Like shooting for Inception and instead getting Minority Report.

This is true.

. . . on a semi-related note? Who is voicing Scarlet Briar?

Tara Strong

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0152839/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

We have Dil Pickles, Bubbles, Raven, Ben Tennyson, Poof, and Ted’s “I Love You!” Box all rolled into one character?

Now if only they can get Rob Paulsen to VA some asura . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: John Kemp.2736

John Kemp.2736

i hate scarlet. the way the character was introduced in passing at the end of aetherblades was kittened. the defying of numerous game engineering rules kittened. the control of the molten alliance, aetherblades, and the messing with dragon bash kittened. maybe anet should build characters or slowly show the rise in power of a villain maybe even have a forum vote on some of the direction to take the game. otherwise well kittened. it cheapens the game and story for a kitten villain to pop up out of no where and just be like im better then everything watch me be able to do stuff you cant oh and by the way you should respect me as a villain. oh and anet if any of you read this no you have lost my respect long ago. ill type what I want and you can take it down if you want but it doesn’t change my opinion.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Clip.

you nailed it. This is a problem with a lot of the characters, especially the Sylvari. The manufactured “awesomeness” of the characters, especially the dainty ones who are “deceptively powerful” is painful.
Forgal? Awesome. not because I was told he was awesome, but because he was cool & believable. Caithe? I’m TOLD she’s awesome with “she killed a bajillion xyz” but she’s mopey & annoying. Oola? she was cool. not over done, not breaking everything with her fists, she played a part, had a memorable personality & was cool & funny. Master of Whispers? awesome. commanded respect, showed his wisdom & had a cool, controlled attitude. Gwen? annoying bossy “commander” who never proves her worth except by being angry & “tough”. Even Margrid the Sly was cooler than Scarlet. & she had like 2 scenes..

Scarlet is, at best, a side kick or a #2. She probably should have been the replacement for Canach. She commands no respect or authority, has no strong presence. I don’t see her leading anyone but maybe some hounds. If it’s supposed to be Joker-esque, i’m afraid it totally failed. Besides, a bonkers woo-woo villain isn’t going to coordinate this kind of force.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I see this ‘she graduated from 3 colleges, omg she’s smarter than the asura’ thing pop up plenty of times and I just have to say that’s not necessarily true.

Putting aside the fact that she was able to join each of the colleges (which is pretty absurd), it’s a known fact that by Asuran standards these colleges look down upon each other. As is usual for Asura, they each feel that they are the best.

I think it’s not the case that an Asura would not be able to graduate from all the college’s, but more a case of they don’t want to. I’m sure graduating from one college gives you no advantage or prestige when joining a different one, ‘because those were just amateurs’ anyway. After graduating they would just start focussing on their own achievements, rather than waste time on lesser studies.

As for Scarlet Briar herself… she’s freakishly weird. There was however one line in the invasions that grabbed my attention.

“Have you met my Aetherblades? They follow me because, well, they like to live!”

I found it interesting because it made me think what she meant by that. Did she mean, they listen or I’ll kill them? I find that less likely considering they’re quite powerful and Scarlet seems smart and cunning, but not exactly a powerhouse.

The other explanation is that Scarlet knows of something which is going to create mass death (in the future) and the Aetherblades chose to join her in averting this (and thus live on if they don’t get butchered) rather than die then.

Then again, they do still act like your run of the mill pirate, so I shouldn’t look for too much purpose in them I guess.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

(edited by Evans.6347)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I see this ‘she graduated from 3 colleges, omg she’s smarter than the asura’ thing pop up plenty of times and I just have to say that’s not necessarily true.

Putting aside the fact that she was able to join each of the colleges (which is pretty absurd), it’s a known fact that by Asuran standards these colleges look down upon each other. As is usual for Asura, they each feel that they are the best.

I think it’s not the case that an Asura would not be able to graduate from all the college’s, but more a case of they don’t want to. I’m sure graduating from one college gives you no advantage or prestige when joining a different one, ‘because those were just amateurs’ anyway. After graduating they would just start focussing on their own achievements, rather than waste time on lesser studies.

I think the point ppl are making is that for any non-asuran (especially Sylvari) person you be able to study all that in record time, top of the class & have seen the eternal alchemy is jump-the-shark moment where Anet is trying to give weight to Mrs Bonkers Woo-woo. It’s painful.

If it were a Mursaat? ok, it all makes sense.. Sylvari? ughhh.. stop trying to make me think they are cool by making them amazing at everything. my eyes can only roll so much.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Scarlet is, at best, a side kick or a #2. She commands no respect or authority, has no strong presence. I don’t see her leading anyone but maybe some hounds. If it’s supposed to be Joker-esque, i’m afraid it totally failed. Besides, a bonkers villian isn’t going to coordinate this kind of force.

I have to agree. She seems more of a second in command to me. I’m sure it has happened many times in history before, but I still have a hard time seeing an such insane person pulling off running an multi-race/international allied army like this. While also having the time to build legions of evil clockworks monsters…

For all that is holy and unholy, please let Lazarus the Dire be the one pulling her strings! It would make all of this make much more sense.

As for the main Sue topic, I kinda think the better question is: is there such a thing as an original character now? All heroes and villains can be boiled down and fit into easy stereotypes. Once that happens, all roads lead back to tvtropes nowadays, and people shouting exclamations of “Sue!” at the first sight of archetype.

in Clockwork Chaos

Evans.6347

You have to take it all with a grain of salt after all.
But Scarlet has seen something all right. And Sylvari are arguably closer to the Mists than any other race.

Also interesting about her mechanical minions… the green vibe, the fact that they rebuild eachother from ‘dead’ scraps.
“Necromancy and golemancy have long been destined to collide.”

(edited by Evans.6347)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

@BobbyStein, you also worked on the GW series. Please, don’t forget your roots. It’s not like some people don’t like this ‘new direction’, it’s like almost everyone hates it. And that’s a difference.

I know you are awesome! Stop this childish copy-joker Scooby Doo level bosses, most of the audience isn’t 8 years old.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Evans.6347

Oh I see, it’s that time again.
You know, the time to pull facts out of our derrières.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

She’s a anime villain.

Note that despite being uber genious and perfect, she made a huge mistake in forgetting Jehnna is a mesmer, and another in giving her enemies a means to attack her.

Let’s not forget she acts like she’s 10.

Yeah, villains like King Koopa Dr Claw Cobra Commander Skeletor Dr Evil Scarlet are prone to mistakes like that.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

It’s not like some people don’t like this ‘new direction’, it’s like almost everyone hates it. And that’s a difference.

The same difference as in “I speak for myself” and “I am omniscient and know what everybody think”.
Please, don’t speak for me or anyone that isn’t you, because apparently you aren’t omniscient, and this new direction isn’t as hated as you make it out to be.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I think Scarlet is entertaining and funny. But she doesn’t seem like a very deep character to me. What are are her motivations? Or is she just evil for the sake of being evil?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

I would love these Scarlet-is-more-than-she-appears theories to be true, but let’s face it. This is coming from the same people who gave us Trahearne. If ANet ever learns, they’ll kick the Living Story people and employ Wooden Potatoes.

This game seriously needs more “villainy” of Grand Admiral Thrawn’s kind.

If only we could get Timothy Zahn. Though Jeff Grubb is working somewhere in there, I thought I heard, so there’s that.

Agreed.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Lakanna.2073

Lakanna.2073

“The other common overlap is the God Mode Sue, with a ridiculous power level, forcing the heroes to hold the Idiot Ball, and/or requiring Deus ex Machina in order for the protagonists to stand a chance of defeating them”

ridiculous power level? yep
Forces the heros to hold the idiot ball? yep
Deus ex machina? We’ll see.

Villain Sue. From Nobody to Nightmare, too.

“entitled”: Ad Hominem fallacy condensed to a single word.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: AuroraW.7149

AuroraW.7149

Still if she would appear in any serious AAA (or even lower) RPG she would be considered a bad joke.

Maybe she is a joke, was meant to be a joke? ;-)

Booga: I took the bullets out of their guns. That was smart, huh?
Tank Girl: Booga, that was very smart.
Gath Gealaich | Rémi Heltzer [GN] – Elona [D]

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

It’s not like some people don’t like this ‘new direction’, it’s like almost everyone hates it. And that’s a difference.

The same difference as in “I speak for myself” and “I am omniscient and know what everybody think”.
Please, don’t speak for me or anyone that isn’t you, because apparently you aren’t omniscient, and this new direction isn’t as hated as you make it out to be.

The almost everybody stands for almost everybody, not actually everdbody. I thought this is obvious. Check the feedbacks on the lore + living story forums about all the LS contents.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Gandarel.5091

Still if she would appear in any serious AAA (or even lower) RPG she would be considered a bad joke.

Maybe she is a joke, was meant to be a joke? ;-)

This was designed to be a serious content. If you totally think they wanted to make this a joke, they failed so hard I can’t tell.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

The almost everybody stands for almost everybody, not actually everdbody. I thought this is obvious. Check the feedbacks on the lore + living story forums about all the LS contents.

People who feel the need to comment on forums are often the people who disagree with a direction or decision. People who are fine with the content are more likely to keep quiet.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

in Clockwork Chaos

Cyan.6904

I think Scarlet is entertaining and funny. But she doesn’t seem like a very deep character to me. What are are her motivations? Or is she just evil for the sake of being evil?

I think there is a lot more behind her than we know of, and like Bobby Stein said in this topic there is still more te come. About her motivations, I think there will be a deeper reason behind it, but she is also clearly quite insane. She shows signs of narcissistic, theatrical, maniacal and bipolar disorders. However, how did she get this messed up?
I’d love to have a consult with her.

I do like Scarlet, her voice acting is spot on, her looks match her behaviour. She isn’t just showing up, there were enough hints along the way. The only thing that bugs me is that some NPC’s knew more about her and that they didn’t tell me about is some sooner.

(edited by Cyan.6904)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

I’m really, really hoping that there’s a good explanation for Scarlet’s outrageous and unrealistic backstory. I’m having trouble coming up with one myself, though.

“Wanna know how I got these scars?”

“The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.”

There’s something there that even the asurans are flabbergasted over, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

You mean to tell me that we’ve been trying to find out information about a super-villain named Scarlet… and all we would have had to do was to check the University of Rata Sum’s student register?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Namica.2951

Namica.2951

She’s a female Traehearne.

Traehearne: Oh so perfect Slyvari who took all the glory from former heroes. United good guy factions despite them being more interesting standing on their own rather than merged into one generic blob.

Scarlet: Oh so perfect Slyvari who took all the glory from former villains. United bad guy factions despite them being more interesting standing on their own rather than merged into one generic blob.

Characters that are this perfect are just boring. “My name is Scarlet. I’m the smartest person in Tyria who united two factions of xenophobes, and another two factions, one being major xenophobes, the other being transdimensional pirates. Despite me apparently having a silver tongue, I talk and act like I’m a partially insane 12 year old!”

in Clockwork Chaos

Namica.2951

You mean to tell me that we’ve been trying to find out information about a super-villain named Scarlet… and all we would have had to do was to check the University of Rata Sum’s student register?

Similar to how we should have just known about the Zephyrites, we were supposed to know about this Scarlet that has been making such a splakitten

’s poor writing. You can’t just keep making stuff up like this that’s is common knowledge to everyone but the player. It just kills any immersion the world may have had.

in Clockwork Chaos

Namica.2951

People who feel the need to comment on forums are often the people who disagree with a direction or decision. People who are fine with the content are more likely to keep quiet.

You can’t automatically discredit a whole swath of people like that. A lot of people just like going to game forums.

in Clockwork Chaos

Evans.6347

The almost everybody stands for almost everybody, not actually everdbody.

And thus the trap has been sprung. I’m so glad I decided to circumvent it in my earlier reply to your silly “fact”.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The Sylvari is perfect on paper, but in the dungeon she’s an extreme pushover.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Clockwork Chaos

Cyan.6904

You can’t automatically discredit a whole swath of people like that. A lot of people just like going to game forums.

I didn’t say people only visit forums to point out that they disagree with a direction or decision. I do say that they might be more frequently present, because they want to point out their concerns and would like to be heard.

Now people who are fine with the content feel less need to tell that (sadly). I just want to point out that the quantity of complains do not reflect “almost everybody”.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

As said, problem of Scarlet is having 0 build-up. No reasons. No hints or evens happening due to her acting behind the scenes – aside Aetherblades attack.

Appears out of thin air, do some crazy talk, smash some stuff and say “I’ll make my minion invade Tyria, cause i can and i like to”.

And for the “Crazy Villain” my trophy goes to Handsome Jack, btw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SfDiD8tUT8

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

(edited by AndrewSX.3794)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I like Scarlet. She is a fun over the top villain. This is a game it is supposed to be fun, if you want deep and thought provoking there are plenty of books out there.

I’m hoping this will all eventually tie back into the dragon story line… I mean something had to make her that crazy.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

She is Buggy the Clown’s sister.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: MadDemon.7548

MadDemon.7548

Let’s see:

- She’s super educated beyond what can be reasonably expected of a Sylvari or any normal being for that matter
- She likes to taunt and insult the player during battle
- She appears to be both insane, with an inexplicable lust for power to boot
- She has a tendency to laugh and cackle
- She teleports
- etc. etc.

She seems too much like a cardboard villain that adheres to a bunch of tropes to feel like a real threat.

Wondering what a Villain Sue is? See:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainSue
http://www.catnip4writers.com/tools/cliche_villain.htm

She could be a villain sue…
OR…
she could be someone who is being controlled by an outside force, possibly another dragon, and is responsible for her knowledge, powers, and insanity. I am pretty sure there are several entities in Guild Wars lore capable of doing this, just don’t know which ones…

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Scarlet: What’s the matter, don’t you like me? aww c’mon give me a chaunce. ;p
Scarlet: Die die die DiE die die die die die

I think Scarlet is high off the mushroom growing out of her ears.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

The feedbacks, as has being stated, is more often than not conveyed by people who don’t like something. It’s like checking the “complaint department” of a company and saying “nobody like our products, they all come in infuriated”. Add to that the still numerous “good job ANet” or “Best update so far” posts to prove you wrong.
Between that and the fact most of GW2 players don’t come to the forum, ever, I stand my point. You are in no position to talk about “almost everybody”.

Putting “almost” in a sentence isn’t a card to get out-of-sources free. It’s just a weasel world to be able to dismiss people who have different opinion as “just a vocal minority”, like you just did (maybe unconsciously).
As long as you don’t bring numbers, you are just stating your opinions. There is no shame in that, so why disguising it as “the community’s opinion”?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

she could be someone who is being controlled by an outside force, possibly another dragon, and is responsible for her knowledge, powers, and insanity. I am pretty sure there are several entities in Guild Wars lore capable of doing this, just don’t know which ones…

/e looks up from his light reading in the hunting lodge basement. “Ah, cooooould beeeeee….”

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Amyami.7153

Amyami.7153

I think Scarlet was just sniffing on too many Aether fumes that made her go crazy.

in Clockwork Chaos

Evans.6347

Anyone who claims to have seen the meaning of life would be mentally unstable.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Anyone who claims to have seen the meaning of life would be mentally unstable.

I saw it… thought it was rather funny. Like this skit here.

#TeamJadeQuarry

(edited by VOLKON.1290)