[Merged] Request: Race Change

in Suggestions

Posted by: SrebX.6498

SrebX.6498

This is something thats been bugging me for a while…. why is there no race change?
I mean yea, it’s probably a bit troublesome with the personal story and everything but this can be solved for sure. Or maybe just make this option available only after the completion of the personal story all together…

I have a Charr Guardian that I’ve put a lot of time and money in, and I’ve been wanting to make him a Norn for a lot of time now… [Armors on Charr are awful]

Also, there’s this weird concept of soulbinding everything to the character meaning that even if I’m willing to spend all the time and effort to reroll a character, I also have to regear him for some reason that is unclear to me… it seems kittened really >< I never understood why everything in this is soulbound…..

Anyhow, I know that it’s a troublesome function to implant, but I’m sure it’s a handy one that a lot of people will use and pay a lot for

Do you agree?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians, Fort Aspenwood
Violette Glory [Warrior]
Bala Rama [Herald]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daesyn.4781

Daesyn.4781

No. You chose your race, you stick with it. If you really want a Norn Guardian, then just reroll your character. It makes absolutely zero sense to be able to change your race on little more than a whim.

They soulbind everything because gear is cheap and pretty easy to get when you think about it. If they changed it so that everything was tradable, they would need to make gear much harder to get to compensate. The game economy would crash if they didn’t. Though with gear being harder to get, the price of everything would go through the roof.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

reroll and get over it.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

No I do not agree.
It baffles me that it can take that long to realise you don’t like your chosen race.
Aside from Ascended, gear is really easy to get.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SrebX.6498

SrebX.6498

No. You chose your race, you stick with it. If you really want a Norn Guardian, then just reroll your character. It makes absolutely zero sense to be able to change your race on little more than a whim.

They soulbind everything because gear is cheap and pretty easy to get when you think about it. If they changed it so that everything was tradable, they would need to make gear much harder to get to compensate. The game economy would crash if they didn’t. Though with gear being harder to get, the price of everything would go through the roof.

You’re right, which is why Account bounding makes sense, not soulbinding…

And with a price of 2~3k Gems [which sounds about reasonable] I don’t think it’s “a little more than a whim”
Also you can easily limit the amout of changes and whatnot …

Anyhow,personally, I can’t just reroll a character… I’ve recently joined the army, I’m home for the weekend once in 2 weeks, I really don’t have the time to reroll a character ><

[EG] Ethereal Guardians, Fort Aspenwood
Violette Glory [Warrior]
Bala Rama [Herald]

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

One thing I see in the ‘race change’ threads often are statements about how much time they have in their character but want to change to a different race. I don’t get this at all. How much time spent playing a character does it take before you decide you don’t like the race you are playing? I know from my experience it didn’t take me long to discover I don’t like playing Charr so I nuked it a rerolled. The same thing for me was playing a Norn. After my first jump puzzle I said ‘no thanks’ and rerolled. I didn’t just keep playing it despite how much I disliked it for the heck of it.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daesyn.4781

Daesyn.4781

You’re right, which is why Account bounding makes sense, not soulbinding…

And with a price of 2~3k Gems [which sounds about reasonable] I don’t think it’s “a little more than a whim”
Also you can easily limit the amout of changes and whatnot …

So if you get sick of your level 80, and decided to reroll a new character, you end up with a ton of really OP gear for your level… just so you can steamroll through everything like its nothing? That doesn’t make much sense to me in quite a few different ways. If they try to balance the game for that kind of behavior, you’ll end up with a bunch of newbies quitting because they can’t make it through a single quest.

In the long run it’s better for the game if they just keep it as soulbound.

You would be surprised. There are a lot of people out there who would pay that much on a whim. Look at very pay to win MMO in existence if you don’t believe me (and there are a LOT of those).

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaBreadMan.8926

NinjaBreadMan.8926

I dont understand why whenever the argument of race change comes up, people say its unfair because the new 80 will have really good gear and its not fair for new players? This does not make any sense to me seeing as how you already were level 80 and you already worked your kitten off for ALL that op gear… It’s not like anet is becoming pay to win if you want to change something completely aesthetic about your character.

Maguuma: Good Fights
Incinerary: 80 Elementalist S/d Glass 0/30/0/20/20 D/d Bunker 0/20/0/20/30

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

This is something thats been bugging me for a while…. why is there no race change?
I mean yea, it’s probably a bit troublesome with the personal story and everything but this can be solved for sure. Or maybe just make this option available only after the completion of the personal story all together…

I have a Charr Guardian that I’ve put a lot of time and money in, and I’ve been wanting to make him a Norn for a lot of time now… [Armors on Charr are awful]

Also, there’s this weird concept of soulbinding everything to the character meaning that even if I’m willing to spend all the time and effort to reroll a character, I also have to regear him for some reason that is unclear to me… it seems kittened really >< I never understood why everything in this is soulbound…..

Anyhow, I know that it’s a troublesome function to implant, but I’m sure it’s a handy one that a lot of people will use and pay a lot for

Do you agree?

Don’t worry, eventually it will happen. Its one of those things that’s win-win (Money for Anet, and You’re happy). And it’s very doable, won’t break the game, won’t destroy immersion (no more than sex change does), and has absolutely zero effect on anyone other than yourself.

That said, there’s a new breed of finger-wagging schoolmarms in games now, that if anyone else somewhere in the universe would like an option they don’t like (or can’t afford) – they throw a forum tantrum. Learn to just ignore them; these busybodies can’t be reasoned with.

So I honestly think that eventually you will see it. The process and details would however be time consuming for Anet. So look for a large gem/cash charge for it, and a short wait after ordering the change, due to the individual recoding that would be involved.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Ignore all the “immersion” hypocrites saying that it shouldnt be done, after all, nothing else kills immersion more than seeing a person changing gender and name 4 times in 10 minutes, yet, you dont see this people complaining about it.

The only reason it has not been done is simple; too much programming behind it. They would have to reset your personal story, the way NPCs in the world treat you, cultural armors acquired, order and amrors, etc etc etc. Too much work for Anet, although I dont doubt they might be working already on it since they are well aware of how much money they are losing for not having this feature.

Just keep waiting for it nad dont lose hope, at the pace Anet works it should be in game anywhere before 2017, heck, even before Gw3 !

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sylvana.7095

Sylvana.7095

Your own character wouldn’t be so unique anymore, after running through different ‘personal stories’. Oh, they’re not very personal after race change.
It works in another kind of MMOS, but not in GW2.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zoidberg.7801

zoidberg.7801

Not to be mean or anything, but they give you five character slots for this specific purpose.

Kaineng 4 lyfe yo
Samuel Stormwalker

in Suggestions

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Wait, you’re asking for a race change to take the easy way out? Do you know how easy it is to level to 80 in this game? It takes less than a week. LESS THAN A WEEK. In most MMOs it takes at least 2 weeks to hit level cap. So no. NO.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Another week, another race change thread.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

This is a roleplaying game and changing race would be very unrealistic. By the time you finish making a character and do your tutorial you have already made some permanent, irreversible choices about your character which would affect your personal story. Changing race would mean you have to make changes there too.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SaltyDave.7346

SaltyDave.7346

I guess I’m not alone if I say that I have a character I’m really not feeling comfortable with. Started as a different race (first alt) to discover the new story stuff, but endgame I really dislike being in that race.

For obvious locked content reasons, race change isn’t possible: story-wise your character is tied to others that come from your race’s story, and techniqually it is impossible to just change everything. Still a race change would be a very welcome addition to the game store, and this how:

Requirements and restrictions.

Personal Story finished
Racial skills are not or all of them are unlocked. You pay the price with skill points too, equal to the racial skill costs together.
1000 gems / character.
Character cannot change race anymore.
Is obviously unable to modify past changes (choosen order for example).

The first post below this will say “just level up another character”. Maybe it’s a shock for some, but many of us out there can’t afford the time for that, and it would be especially boring to level up the same class I already have at 80, just with a different race. Since the lv up scrolls can’t stack and only useful for 20 levels, crafts are only 7 levels plus most of them skyrocketed in prices, I think a purely cosmetical change (well, racial skills are not cosmetical, but never used and isn’t pay to win balance change), I see no reason why not to have this as an OPTION with the requirements and restrictions written above.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

This is a roleplaying game and changing race would be very unrealistic. By the time you finish making a character and do your tutorial you have already made some permanent, irreversible choices about your character which would affect your personal story. Changing race would mean you have to make changes there too.

No more unrealistic than gender changing which they have in the game already. Unless you are gonna RP that you went to the doctor and got injections and a major operation, I don’t see the difference. And like the OP said, just make it only available once you have finished your personal story all the way through. I personally see nothing wrong with it and it would make Anet/NCsoft a ton of cash which anyone who has played other NCsoft games knows, they are all about microtransaction and that bottom line. Hell I’ve blown tons of cash buying those splitters to move legendaries around between chars. I sure in hell would blow cash to switch races as well

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

I agree. I mean they have gender changing for god’s sakes, why not race changing. It would only be another form of revenue for their bottom line as I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to pay.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

in Suggestions

ShiningSquirrel.3751

in Suggestions

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I played another NCSoft game, and I didn’t feel it was all about microtransactions.

It was a pretty cool game, too. It was called Guild Wars.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Still in favor. It’s totally pathetic that you can’t get a new race on your character because of the lame story nobody cares about.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Still in favor. It’s totally pathetic that you can’t get a new race on your character because of the lame story nobody cares about.

No, it’s totally pathetic that you can’t be bothered rolling a new character because you aren’t interested in the story.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I really care about the story and that is the reason I have 2 of each race, so don’t make assumptions, I didn’t make 3 of each race because I finished the PS up to lvl 20 with every race during betas.

@OP
Maybe Anet can make a race change in the future, but that is a very complicated thing to do, gender change only change the look of the armor, race change involves so many things in the game that makes it nearly impossible, the solutions you gave cover most of the problems, but we don’t know if Anet can track all those things for the changes.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

The story means nothing… from level 20 it’s the same for every race. And no I can’t be bothered re-leveling a class because I don’t like the race, only because they think “You’ll miss part of the story”. That’s pathetic. If they asked me to complete the racial story, sure. The racial story is pretty good. Post level 20 sucks though, so why make me level 60 more levels? It’s utterly brainless.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

What will happen to Cultural armors purchased and worn?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

in Suggestions

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

in Suggestions

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Yeah, the search function is terrible on here. The worst part about this thread is when the OP made it, there was another thread on the same subject only a few lines below it. Some people will not even try see if there is already a thread, they just make duplicates over and over.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Story is really the only justification for not having race change in the game. I don’t know, but it would appear that Anet is currently de-emphasizing story so we may yet see the ability to change races. But take heart OP as any change in any direction appears to have an equal likelihood of happening.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

The problem everyone is talking about is the STORY
Well, you know what? they could reset the story for you at the same time as you change race. So you can now fill in your changed race biography and start your new story.