Open world Duels [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: jayb.1329

jayb.1329

I never saw Anet say that dueling would come out sometimes after launch. And every thread about it is filled with opposition to it.

you should also mention that all the opposition to dueling is baseless and usually confined to “i dont want to see people dueling” or “i don’t want to be spammed with duel requests” when we’ve already recommended a filter for duel requests

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wryog.5073

Wryog.5073

I got a reason better than “but balance”. Ever thought what would happen if duels were made official? A bunch of qq posts would flood the forums about how imbalanced this game is for 1v1. Anet are just saving themselves from a huge headache. 1v1 the ability for eles to instakill/instadown people would be OP. Mesmers would be ridiculous. St unlock warriors would be just lolmode. At the same time those are relatively balanced in the rest of the game.

Wryog [WBC] – elementalist
Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

@Araris.7839 exactly what u said.

“don’t want to look bad or like a coward when someone asks them to duel and they decline”

Is the only reason they dont want this system.

Or is there another reason? please let us know, because is unfair that we dont have the oportunity to fight with our friends with our pve gear just to have fun because of you.

I dont see how this will affect any person, a easy to add a option to decline automatically any duel.

Ohh I will look bad if I decline?
hahahaha! that is the kind of argument I expect when my 6 year old dares me

It is unfair that you come to my game and demand a feature that goes against all PvE design choices just because you want it

I can just decline- exactly how many times in 5 min would you like me to do that?
How do you want anyone to actually PvE with a bunch of “I want to duel you dude” spam going when you are trying to play " what you too bad kitten? coward"

Yes no thanks
@ OP use the search button next time

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

in Suggestions

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

There are a lot of QQ post already, that will never end.

In a duel u have to accept the duel invitation. Is not a must.

So i honestly have read all the opinion and lets be honest.

The only reason people dont want a duel system in open world is because they will look like cowards if they reject a fight.

Well anyways, if Anet give us a zone to duel with ou friends and clan members with our pve gear will be greate.

My main idea about this is to actually practice and improve my gaming by training with a guild member to counter different professions and builds.

Maybe this will fix a lot of the QQ saying that:

Necro terormancer is op
Stealth thief is op
Rangers regen BM is op,
Guardian retalation is op
Warriors 100b blade or bow damage is op
Engi bomb is op
Mesmer/Phatom burst is op
D/D Ele is op

If people train with their friends how to counter this “OP” builds, a lot more less real QQ will be in this forum.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

@ Atlas: well it goes to show that I’m not too lore savvy. Did you know that certain companies force cheap useless components whose sole purpose is to break in their products? I’ll call those “Kormirs” from now on!

@ Morrigan: OoOOOOoooOOOOooh, I see, this is YOUR game I have come to. Well no reason to discuss this any further guys, one of the stockholders says he doesn’t want dueling.

By the way it doesn’t go against any PvE design choices because it’s not PvE I can see why there would be problems with dynamic events and such, but you are dead in your idea so I truly see no reason to discuss this further.

I’ll stop posting here because it fall on deaf ears.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Yes I really want to be at a TP or crafting station at some outpost trying to find an item or decide what I want to put up for sale and have a bunch of attack skill effects all over my screen with combat sounds and /map and /say filled with trash talk. I would be willing to wager these are the areas people would select to duel in so everyone can witness their “greatness” or more likely to get on people’s nerves. Then I use my “decline option” or what ever and have some nimrod following me around the map jumping up and down and doing other obnoxious things trying to provoke me into accepting his duel request. Sounds like great fun.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

“don’t want to look bad or like a coward when someone asks them to duel and they decline”

Or is there another reason? please let us know, because is unfair that we dont have the oportunity to fight with our friends with our pve gear just to have fun because of you.

I dont see how this will affect any person, a easy to add a option to decline automatically any duel.

It is unfair that you come to my game and demand a feature that goes against all PvE design choices just because you want it

I can just decline- exactly how many times in 5 min would you like me to do that?
How do you want anyone to actually PvE with a bunch of “I want to duel you dude” spam going when you are trying to play " what you too bad kitten? coward"

Yes no thanks

What part of ading a function to block or autodecline duels you didnt understand?

Please man instead of raging read first a little bit.

Anyways, i dont want to mess with ur “killing computer mobs super experience”.

We just want a zone to practive with our friends with our PVE gear that we actually use in WvW.

Is this hard to understand? or even hard to do?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

If there are custom areas for dueling currently I see no reason for it to be expanded. Those that want to duel have an area to do so, and it doesn’t bleed over into anyone elses game.

in Suggestions

Morrigan.2809

OoOOOOoooOOOOooh, I see, this is YOUR game I have come to. Well no reason to discuss this any further guys, one of the stockholders says he doesn’t want dueling.

By the way it doesn’t go against any PvE design choices because it’s not PvE

I’ll stop posting here because it fall on deaf ears.

If you are talking to me I am so very flattered that you consider me one of the stockholders.

The idea goes against the design choices of
being unable to:
kill steal
loot steal,
resource steal.

Being able to hop in and help anywhere, being able to heal anyone, being able to share personal story.. really the list goes on and on
All this should really have given you a clue that this game is not desigened around open world PvE.
This is the game

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

I got a reason better than “but balance”. Ever thought what would happen if duels were made official? A bunch of qq posts would flood the forums about how imbalanced this game is for 1v1. Anet are just saving themselves from a huge headache. 1v1 the ability for eles to instakill/instadown people would be OP. Mesmers would be ridiculous. St unlock warriors would be just lolmode. At the same time those are relatively balanced in the rest of the game.

Sorry, I don’t get your first sentence. As it seems to be contradicted two sentences later, but the Pro Duel people are right. Just look at the WvW forums. The cries for nerf are already there.

Do you really think people have a problem with thieves in WvW because they are amazing in sieges? Or because we have so much utility? Nope, they want thieves nerfed because 1v1 they are one of the best.

I have played just about every major MMO ever and most of them had the option to duel.
Were they balanced for it? Nope.
Did people QQ on forums because they got smashed by a class better suited for 1v1? You bet.
Did I see the horrible game changing things alot of people in this thread are saying will happen if this is implemented? No.

So really guys… Let them eat cake!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

it creates a certain community

Yes, it does. That’s part of what I’m afraid of.

Just let there be an option to be turn off dueling requests and not see duels happening. I don’t care otherwise.

it promotes kitten mentality or school yard bully mentality. There is enough of that in WVW, where 29 years old act like 16 picking on others.

in Suggestions

Morrigan.2809

Yes no thanks

What part of ading a function to block or autodecline duels you didnt understand?

Please man instead of raging read first a little bit.

Anyways, i dont want to mess with ur “killing computer mobs super experience”.

We just want a zone to practive with our friends with our PVE gear that we actually use in WvW.

Is this hard to understand? or even hard to do?

My apologies since I did not read as you said but instead dropped in at the end and blew my top because the title said duel.
I am very sorry.

If this is truly what you want I will put a suggestion here that I put months ago.

Place an arena in each city where players can duel- have a spectator mode if you want- heck charge tickets and bet on your favorite gladiator so people can get some ranks and achievements- make it a feature
That way and it will greatly enhance the cities and keep duels out of the landscape when you re running DE’s.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

SoLeciTO.3490 and Wolfheart.1938, you do realize you two’s posts comprise most of this thread right? It looks like a lot of pro dueling posts, but they are mostly from you two.

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

it creates a certain community

Yes, it does. That’s part of what I’m afraid of.

Just let there be an option to be turn off dueling requests and not see duels happening. I don’t care otherwise.

it promotes kitten mentality or school yard bully mentality. There is enough of that in WVW, where 29 years old act like 16 picking on others.

May I see evidence from one of the many MMOs that has allowed open world dueling that this sort of behavior is normal? Because this seems to be a big fear for the anti dueling crowd, and I think it is a straw man, as I have played many MMOs with this feature and it has never been a problem.

Again, I am sure there will be a few cases of people being jerks. It happens on the internet for many reasons, but you know something beautiful thing about this game? You can ignore them or report them for harassment and POOF! Problem is gone.

I have heard people say “I don’t want to see people fighting in my PvE world.” and to that I can only say; How do you live with costume brawls?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

SoLeciTO.3490 and Wolfheart.1938, you do realize you two’s posts comprise most of this thread right? It looks like a lot of pro dueling posts, but they are mostly from you two.

Yes, I post more than I should. For example, I should’ve ignored this meaningless post, but here I go : you do realize that with 25 players posting, this thread means less than nothing?

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I have heard people say “I don’t want to see people fighting in my PvE world.” and to that I can only say; How do you live with costume brawls?

Costume brawls which rarely, if ever, show up on the PvE map but mostly in Lion’s Arch?
Seriously I don’t remember ever seeing anyone do Costume Brawl outside of Lion’s Arch because they know of the dangers that reside in doing that “outside”.

I just simply shrug because they aren’t in the outside game world, but rather an instanced area. Which is why I recommend that any dueling component be put in a instanced spot.

@ Atlas: well it goes to show that I’m not too lore savvy. Did you know that certain companies force cheap useless components whose sole purpose is to break in their products? I’ll call those “Kormirs” from now on!

Glad I could help create a new phrase for those things. I hate them too!

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

(edited by Atlas.9704)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

It was said during beta that they where working on open world duels as well as custom arena 1 vs 1 after launch.

I personally want open world duels, because to me, dueling is more of a fun mini game activity than actual pvp. 1 vs 1 is not balanced, but it’s fun to do in the real world. I am not a fan of going to the mists. it doesnt feel like my character, it feels like a tutorial mini game lobby full of ghosts.

you cant have your entire guild dancing around you like that.

I don’t see how open world dueling effects people who don’t want it. just give them a box in options so they can auto-ignore duels, and let those of us who wants it, have it. please:D

NO, I don’t think there will ever be open world dueling. Anet did give a reason as to why there is no dueling , it being do to Harassment. I really think that people who want dueling badly they should just go back to wow and while they are there they can see the harassment in action. I’m not saying it always end up with a harassment but it does happen. Anet is infamous for the use of the almighty banned hammer on verbal abuse/harassment, just think how much more bigger would that banned list get with the implement of dueling.

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

Costume brawls which rarely, if ever show up on the PvE map, but mostly in Lion’s Arch?
Seriously I don’t remember ever seeing anyone do Costume Brawl outside of Lion’s Arch because they know of the dangers that reside in doing that “outside”.

I just simply shrug because they aren’t in the outside game world, but rather an instanced area. Which is why I recommend that any dueling component be put in a instanced spot.

You are exactly right. People tend to avoid areas that will interfere with what they are doing.

So, just like how right now people can costume brawl all over Tyria but don’t. Duels if implemented will be centered around a few select areas that favor uninterrupted 1v1 fights.

My point is, it is not going to hurt anyone if they add this. I get it a lot of people hate PvP and that is awesome for them. Give those people ways to ignore it, but to me it seems selfish to openly try to shoot down something another group of players would love to see all because YOU (Not necessarily you, Atlas) don’t like it.

@Diekido – By all means let those kittens taste the hammer. If they are harassing someone they should be gone.

(edited by Banono.4597)

in Suggestions

Atlas.9704

My point is, it is not going to hurt anyone if they add this. I get it a lot of people hate PvP and that is awesome for them. Give those people ways to ignore it, but to me it seems selfish to openly try to shoot down something another group of players would love to see all because YOU (Not necessarily you, Atlas) don’t like it.

Oh don’t worry I won’t take offense because I’ve already stated my mind on it.
In fact my post history still reflects that even in earlier discussions about this.
I just always want to make sure that if such a thing is put in it will be done correctly and will benefit the game modes so players have a richer experience.

I for one might never play duels, but if WvW finally received an update for instanced dueling or even if Arenas could allow PvE equipment I’d say “good on ya”.

Sadly though I give this thread a day before it gets merged into the other duel thread lol.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wryog.5073

Wryog.5073

Sorry, I don’t get your first sentence. As it seems to be contradicted two sentences later, but the Pro Duel people are right. Just look at the WvW forums. The cries for nerf are already there.

Do you really think people have a problem with thieves in WvW because they are amazing in sieges? Or because we have so much utility? Nope, they want thieves nerfed because 1v1 they are one of the best.

I have played just about every major MMO ever and most of them had the option to duel.
Were they balanced for it? Nope.
Did people QQ on forums because they got smashed by a class better suited for 1v1? You bet.
Did I see the horrible game changing things alot of people in this thread are saying will happen if this is implemented? No.

So really guys… Let them eat cake!

As you said there’s already a LOT of imbalance threads caused by people getting owned 1v1. The thing about this game is that you have a ton of build options. For example I have an ele build that uses a 3 min cool down to burst down a single person from full to dead. There’s only a few professions/builds that can do anything about it fast enough to save themselves. Can’t make a video of it and show you atm but it’s basically abusing the hell out of fiery greatsword. In a team it’s completely useless but 1v1 it’s a complete shutdown to some builds. At the same time there’s CC warriors but there aren’t that many “OPOPOP” posts about them because there’s usually a whole team to help you. And mesmers… I don’t really have to explain this, do I?
The game is barely balanced for its “main” mode, adding more modes would just increase the amount of qq. If people really want to duel in their shiny PvE gear that much then something like dueling people on your friends list for training would be OK I guess.

Wryog [WBC] – elementalist
Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I despise dueling and in games that feature it, I always have duels set to auto-decline.

That said, I can think of no good reason to deny duels to people who enjoy them. It doesn’t affect me in the slightest. And in over 15 years of playing MMOs, I can count on one hand the number of times a dueler said something to me about declining his request, and they all went on ignore. Problem solved.

Besides, duels are occasionally fun to watch. Sometimes its cool when you’re walking through the city and suddenly a fight breaks out. I mean, as much as the “Living World” concept has been shoved down my throat… aren’t street fights something that happens in a Living World?

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

Oh don’t worry I won’t take offense because I’ve already stated my mind on it.
In fact my post history still reflects that even in earlier discussions about this.
I just always want to make sure that if such a thing is put in it will be done correctly and will benefit the game modes so players have a richer experience.

I for one might never play duels, but if WvW finally received an update for instanced dueling or even if Arenas could allow PvE equipment I’d say “good on ya”.

Sadly though I give this thread a day before it gets merged into the other duel thread lol.

lol I am sure it will and a few infractions handed out for something (I always seem to get infractions that make me wonder how there are trolls still alive in here, but I am getting off topic here… Uh oh!)

I just want to be able to have quick and easy duels. I know we could make duels happen in Spvp, but it is lame. As mentioned different builds and gear, but also you have to buy the tokens, make the server, get in the server and what if you want to duel your necro buddy after a few rounds with the warrior friend?

It is just a pain in the kitten , you know? Being able to just right click, pick duel and 3 seconds later you and a buddy are going at it, just sounds so much better and will be used so much more in my opinion.

in Suggestions

Atlas.9704

I just want to be able to have quick and easy duels. I know we could make duels happen in Spvp, but it is lame. As mentioned different builds and gear, but also you have to buy the tokens, make the server, get in the server and what if you want to duel your necro buddy after a few rounds with the warrior friend?

It is just a pain in the kitten , you know? Being able to just right click, pick duel and 3 seconds later you and a buddy are going at it, just sounds so much better and will be used so much more in my opinion.

Oh I understand completely, that’s why I would hope the changes would go into WvW mostly. Though you know how ANet looooves their gem store and I can see them utilize such a change to custom arenas as yet another point in purchasing the server.
Plus it would give the more affluent guilds another reason to keep their custom arena servers going. Want to challenge the head boss for a fun game? Have at thee! I could see how some of the Charr roleplayers could really get into using that for guild affairs.

The complexities of PVE skill balancing versus PvP will eventually lead to certain skills being altered for one but not the other. We saw that with GW1 and I will harbor no fantasies whatsoever that they’ll never do it here.

Sadly that’s the nature of the beast, so if duels were allowed they would still be in the PvP Mist area where sPvP and WvW reside. Thus it would be easier if (or when) such things will occur.

Being able to right click, pick duel, and battle a buddy in PvE map does sound easier. Though I worry about the PvE trolls, or worse yet the truly absent minded, who would just run by with a trail of mobs following. That would disrupt your fun.
Sure you could just move to an area in the map where there aren’t any mobs, but then you’ve willingly segregated yourself from the PvE activity only to fight with a friend who equally has to make this effort to join you.

It would be so much easier if you could click, get sent to the duel designated instance, and then hammer your buddy straight into the Mists!
I guess the other reason why I support it being in WvW as a selectable instance would be for the foot traffic there. It could pull some of the sPvP players out into WvW to at least give it a look before dueling with a friend.

Well now I’m going back to where I started, which means pretty much I’m out of contributions to this thread. Take care, I have more grumping about map completion and WvW in other threads to do.

(edited by Atlas.9704)

in Suggestions

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Big no to PvE dueling.

The last thing we need is a bunch of people who lost duels due to poor builds, wrong food choices, or being undergeared coming on the forums to whine about how X class is OP because they lost to it. It’s bad enough that we have noobs from hot join doing this, and there food is absent and gear is standardized.

You want to duel? Go to a dueling PvP server. At least there’s a semblance of balance there.

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

Big no to PvE dueling.

The last thing we need is a bunch of people who lost duels due to poor builds, wrong food choices, or being undergeared coming on the forums to whine about how X class is OP because they lost to it. It’s bad enough that we have noobs from hot join doing this, and there food is absent and gear is standardized.

You want to duel? Go to a dueling PvP server. At least there’s a semblance of balance there.

People are complaining that there isn’t dueling. So, by that logic we should add it to shut us up, right?

If QQ is a reason to exclude something, then lets first just scrap the living world idea because 50% of the threads here are someone not liking something about it, get rid of thieves, get rid of ascended gear… I could go on.

If Anet were to add this I would expect two things.

1). an ignore feature.
2). A post saying “Here it guys! Keep in mind this is NOT a supported PvP mode and will NOT be balanced.”

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

Big no to PvE dueling.

People are complaining that there isn’t dueling. So, by that logic we should add it to shut us up, right?

If QQ is a reason to exclude something, then lets first just scrap the living world idea because 50% of the threads here are someone not liking something about it, get rid of thieves, get rid of ascended gear… I could go on.

1). an ignore feature.
2). A post saying “Here it guys! Keep in mind this is NOT a supported PvP mode and will NOT be balanced.”

Answer me this question: what balancing has happened because of a lack of dueling? Now answer this one: what balancing has happened because of QQing on the forums?

Maybe you see my point now? See how horribly you misinterpreted it?

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

Big no to PvE dueling.

1). an ignore feature.

Answer me this question: what balancing has happened because of a lack of dueling? Now answer this one: what balancing has happened because of QQing on the forums?

I would hope the answer would be “None” to both of those questions.

The first one because obviously it doesn’t exist. The second one because people QQ on the forums about EVERYTHING. Paper says scissors is OP, scissors says rock is, and rock as you probably have guessed wants that paper nerf.

Again this is not some radical new idea. It has been in MMOs since forever, and none of them balance their game for 1v1. You can go into those games forums and watch most the QQ oon the subject get shut down with that very fact.

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

Big no to PvE dueling.

1). an ignore feature.

I would hope the answer would be “None” to both of those questions.

The first one because obviously it doesn’t exist. The second one because people QQ on the forums about EVERYTHING. Paper says scissors is OP, scissors says rock is, and rock as you probably have guessed wants that paper nerf.

Again this is not some radical new idea. It has been in MMOs since forever, and none of them balance their game for 1v1. You can go into those games forums and watch most the QQ oon the subject get shut down with that very fact.

The answer to the first is none.

The answer to the second one is not. Lots of balance changes have been made due to sPvP whining. Heck, go to the sPvP sub-forum now and you can see dev posts ASKING for people to suggest balancing changes. No joke.

And saying that no games have been balanced due to 1v1 dueling complaints is incredibly naive.

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

The answer to the second one is not. Lots of balance changes have been made due to sPvP whining. Heck, go to the sPvP sub-forum now and you can see dev posts ASKING for people to suggest balancing changes. No joke.

And saying that no games have been balanced due to 1v1 dueling complaints is incredibly naive.

I will not argue that, hence why I said “I hope the answer is ‘None’” and I will say that is a bone headed move by a DEV to do such things.

I am not a huge fan of dueling. You will never see me spend hours standing around in a circle fight clubbing.

The thing is I see no harm in adding it as long as the two conditions I stated before apply: an ignore feature and Anet having the stance that it will never be balanced.

(edited by Banono.4597)

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

I really wish some dev show here and share his opinion to this.

We just want a zone to fight with our friends or guild member with our PVE gear to improve our gaming in WvW.

Please anet is not that hard as the current content you temp introduce, just a zone where we can fight each other and learn how to counter other professions and builds.

If PVE players that loves The Sims modes doesnt want open world pvp, it is ok for us, just give us a instance, that will be good enough.

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

I will not argue that, hence why I said “I hope the answer is ‘None’” and I will say that is a bone headed move by a DEV to do such things.

I am not a huge fan of dueling. You will never see me spend hours standing around in a circle fight clubbing.

The thing is I see no harm in adding it as long as the two conditions I stated before apply: an ignore feature and Anet having the stance that it will never be balanced.

Right, I agree with you in theory. In practice though, we know that forum whining influences balance decisions in this game. So, as a practical matter, I am against open world dueling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

I despise dueling and in games that feature it, I always have duels set to auto-decline.

That said, I can think of no good reason to deny duels to people who enjoy them. It doesn’t affect me in the slightest. And in over 15 years of playing MMOs, I can count on one hand the number of times a dueler said something to me about declining his request, and they all went on ignore. Problem solved.

Besides, duels are occasionally fun to watch. Sometimes its cool when you’re walking through the city and suddenly a fight breaks out. I mean, as much as the “Living World” concept has been shoved down my throat… aren’t street fights something that happens in a Living World?

Thanks for being reasonable and understanding the views of those that have differing interests from yourself. I’d give you a high-five if I could.

In response to some of the rest of you:

1: Auto-Ignore Checkbox. Solves the being spammed problem and whoever is sending you requests is ten times more likely to assume you’re afk than that you’re denying him or something.

2: Balance. People QQing over getting beat 1v1 by builds that are better at 1v1? Sounds exactly like what happens in WvW right now. No change.

3: “I don’t wanna get ganked.” What about “1v1 requested duels” are you not getting?

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

2: Balance. People QQing over getting beat 1v1 by builds that are better at 1v1? Sounds exactly like what happens in WvW right now. No change.

Except that ANet can look at WvW and say “it’s not supposed to be balanced around 1v1”. How on earth could they say that about duels?

Don’t just dismiss people’s reasons simply because they’re contrary to yours.

in Suggestions

Posted by: negerleif.2106

negerleif.2106

Its just unaccaptable that there isnt a dueling system in game yet.

Spvp arenalike matches are tragic because the majority of players want to play with their “real characters” full equiped, i want to duel with my characters that i spend hours of gameplay to progress, i want to duel friends and guildmates even testing attacks etc.

As long as dueling (and GvG) missing from this game WvW will turn garbage day by day with people trying to find a corner in a map to duel random people getting ganked by others that happend passing by and be frustrating cause you have to do 50 other things and waste time searching for a duel instead of clicking a button like in every other game.

Its unaccaptable that no one from arenanet answering this thread so people know what to expect.

Its unaccaptable in a 10 months mmorpg game in 2013 STILL ASKING FOR A DUEL SYSTEM.

you think just like me i said something very much like this a while back so i cant do anything else then agree with you to a 100% i really liked reading your words!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

iWHANT DUELING SOOO bad

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

this is why i am switching to tes online, the gw2 community just has no clue what a good game is, they’d rather have mini games as their main story driven content, with new items only available outside of the game in a store, then an OPTIONAL addition that any good mmo should have (like dueling)

Also the people who never played an mmo before, telling people to go back to wow or or leave gw2, wow didn’t invent
dueling/raids/pvp/ wow didn’t event any of the stuff, wow copied everquest! wow had dueling because mmos should have dueling.

(edited by Blissified.8369)

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

…because mmos should have dueling.

And which big book of MMO laws did you find this in?

Guild Wars 2 set out to be an MMo that defied a lot of MMO conventions (successful or not). Why now are you arguing that it needs to stick to conventions?

in Suggestions

Blissified.8369

Because this is a MMO

Massive Multiplayer Online games are ment for playing WITH other people which includes playing against, basicly “INTERACTING” with people.

Also its COMPLETELTY OPTIONAL click the option “automaticly deney duel requests” if you get so buthurt over a tiny little message.

dueling as being a mmo convention is silly, dueling is a form of player activity, player activity is a convention of online games, not mmos.

thats like saying every other game has dungeons, so why should this gw2

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

Because this is a MMO

Massive Multiplayer Online games are ment for playing WITH other people which includes playing against, basicly “INTERACTING” with people.

Also its COMPLETELTY OPTIONAL click the option “automaticly deney duel requests” if you get so buthurt over a tiny little message.

dueling as being a mmo convention is silly, dueling is a form of player activity, player activity is a convention of online games, not mmos.

So because my workplace says “employee client face-to-face interaction is highly recommended” I should be dueling my clients, eh?

Your reasoning just isn’t sound. At all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Dueling is an eyesore and makes lots of noise. That’s why we got costume brawl instead. XD
Dueling would be neat. Maybe someday.

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

Except that ANet can look at WvW and say “it’s not supposed to be balanced around 1v1”. How on earth could they say that about duels?

By saying “The game is not balanced for duels or 1v1.”

But it feels like I am talking in circles because this straw man keeps popping up.

Now dueling customers at work? Honestly, you have gone from strawman to just out there…

(edited by Banono.4597)

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

Again, just like they said it wasn’t going to be balanced for tournaments…until it was. Then it wasn’t going to be balanced for hot joins…until it was. You see what happens here? You introduce a new game type, especially one that causes the tears that duels do, and it’s a slippery slope before you’re balancing for it.

in Suggestions

Blissified.8369

Because this is a MMO

So because my workplace says “employee client face-to-face interaction is highly recommended” I should be dueling my clients, eh?

Your reasoning just isn’t sound. At all.

Are you trolling me?

Is you’re work an online computer game?

you’re post did make me lol though, so thanx :P

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

Again, just like they said it wasn’t going to be balanced for tournaments…until it was. Then it wasn’t going to be balanced for hot joins…until it was. You see what happens here? You introduce a new game type, especially one that causes the tears that duels do, and it’s a slippery slope before you’re balancing for it.

Tpvp is their baby… They have been pushing for E-sport status since the game came out.

I would love to see the post where they said they would never balance Tpvp.

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

I would love to see the post where they said they would never balance Tpvp.

For.

You forgot the key word.

There’s a world of difference between balancing tPvP and balancing FOR tPvP. One implies that the game mode is balanced, the other implies the other game modes take a backseat to the one being balanced for. Understand?

PS:

JonathanSharp.7094:

As Allie said, we want to be careful to balance their (classes) WvW/PvE potential against their PvP potential, and then inside of PvP, we have to be careful to watch how they perform at high ranks vs. low ranks.

(edited by NewTrain.7549)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Let me help explain it to some people here, the people opposed to dueling don’t want to look bad or like a coward when someone asks them to duel and they decline. That’s it, there’s no other real reason, simply put, they don’t want the feature implemented because it makes them uncomfortable.

+1 for dueling. It’s fun.

A mind reader you’re not.

I don’t want dueling because the type of player that is attracted to that stuff isn’t at all generally attacted to the type of game I want or play. In general I think the duelist community is incompatible with the community I’d rather see in the game. I feel the same about open world PvP of any kind.

Open world PvPers call those of us who don’t want that sort of that carebears. I also don’t want to see the flood of my profession isn’t balanced posts, because the game was never meant to be balanced for 1v1.

Thinking that I’d be embarrassed to refuse a duel request isn’t just wrong…it’s completely wrong. I’d be PROUD to refuse a duel request.

in Suggestions

Blissified.8369

so we shouldn’t have dueling because people might ask a.net to ballence it?

I just don’t get the logic here, dueling may never be 100 percent ballenced but then a.net can say that, but if dueling becomes so big people are asking a.net to ballence it i see that as a good thing.

The cool thingf games like these is the players can ballence stuff themselves atleast somewhat (it happend in gw2) say someone runs flavor of the month build a, then people start running a counter to fotm build a, thats build b, then build b may become flavor of the month.

Dueling isn’t about being completely ballenced, dueling is about fun, sometimes fun>ballenced and i already duel A LOT in wvw by meeting people in the forums on different servers and i can tell you its VERY FUN and not that unballenced at all, if you get owned its you’re own fault.

in Suggestions

Blissified.8369

Let me help explain it to some people here, the people opposed to dueling don’t want to look bad or like a coward when someone asks them to duel and they decline. That’s it, there’s no other real reason, simply put, they don’t want the feature implemented because it makes them uncomfortable.

+1 for dueling. It’s fun.

A mind reader you’re not.

I don’t want dueling because the type of player that is attracted to that stuff isn’t at all generally attacted to the type of game I want or play. In general I think the duelist community is incompatible with the community I’d rather see in the game. I feel the same about open world PvP of any kind.

Open world PvPers call those of us who don’t want that sort of that carebears. I also don’t want to see the flood of my profession isn’t balanced posts, because the game was never meant to be balanced for 1v1.

Thinking that I’d be embarrassed to refuse a duel request isn’t just wrong…it’s completely wrong. I’d be PROUD to refuse a duel request.

dueling isn’t open world pvp. dueling means two players have to accept.

So you dont want people who like to duel to have fun because they MIGHT not like the same stuff as you?
Everyone i know wants dueling, even the people who only do pve, and the people i know that do pvp and wvw also play pve so i dont understand..

Im big on pve and immersion and all that, but i find it fun to duel people while waiting for dungeons, lfg’ing for people for an activity, or while waiting to figure out somthing to do, or to settle a score, or just to have a bit of competetive fun.

what do you like?

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

I just don’t get the logic here, dueling may never be 100 percent ballenced but then a.net can say that, but if dueling becomes so big people are asking a.net to ballence it i see that as a good thing.

You would see it as a good thing even if is negatively affected a class in other game modes? Have you thought about this?

in Suggestions

Blissified.8369

yes
Pvp is ballenced seperately
WvW is ballenced Seperately

Dueling can be ballenced seperatelyt
or just leave it and only ballence game breaking things (qq doenst count)
or lump dueling ballence in with pvp / wve ballence

OR learn that good ballencing takes into account all game modes, like all the other mmos do.

Most other mmos only have pvp / pve skill ballencing and that accounts for all types of pvp 1v1 to 50v50 and it works out good enough.

I 1v1 all the time in wvw and can tell you the classes are ballenced enough, and i duel really good players and we communicate via forums / mumble to set up these matchs, remember most of the people saying things arn’t ballenced on the forums are just bad players that need to learn, that in some sitations one class / build may excel more then the other

The omg but anet might have to ballence it and it could be hard arguement is a joke.

Anet can do this, we pay them to do these things remember, if everyone els can do it a.net can to don’t worry everything will be fine.

Not every single game mode needs to have its own ballence, it works in other games, most of the qqing about ballence on forums isn’t legit, and theirs strats to take down people.