Dye Changes Feedback/Questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Changing dye won’t cost any charge. What you quote was about the preview, how now preview of dye will be much more precise since you can preview different dye on specific part of the armor. Not like right now that you preview a dye and they randomly preview it across your skin.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

So unidentified dyes will no longer be drops — in short these will phase out? Can we only get them via laurels?

Also with the blog post, it seems there’s a self-described exploit where every Player can go and set themselves up with 100’s of unidentified dyes when the patch goes live. NOTE: I am not describing how the exploit would occur, but it seems pretty obvious from the blog.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

In my case I didn’t dislike the skins but ran out of storage room, so I’m also really interested in whether I’ll have all the gem store stuff I’ve bought unlocked, or if I’ll have to buy it again.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

So unidentified dyes will no longer be drops — in short these will phase out? Can we only get them via laurels?

Also with the blog post, it seems there’s a self-described exploit where every Player can go and set themselves up with 100’s of unidentified dyes when the patch goes live. NOTE: I am not describing how the exploit would occur, but it seems pretty obvious from the blog.

You’ll be able to get the dyes for Bifrost from the Mystic Forge (happy gambling!) or from “rewards” (undefined at this time).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Hmm. Doesn’t seem like unidentified dyes are changing that much. 65 silver right now.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

juno.1840

HA — nice job ANet — every single “cheap” dye on the TP has shot up 10x in price.

I’m at a loss of words… “incompetent” is the first that pops to mind though.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

sorry, I have only spent laurels once and that was in LA before it was destroyed, since then I didnt know where else I could.

Every other main city has a Laurel Vendor. The Rata Sum one is pretty easy to find.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

HA — nice job ANet — every single “cheap” dye on the TP has shot up 10x in price.

I fail to see how it’s Anets fault… you had the same opportunity as everyone else to buy some extra dyes if you wanted.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Every racial city has a laurel dealer. Go to any of them and they are easy to find.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

What? Why? Oh come on, you’re just being purposefully complainy.

mtpelion.4562

That’s to be expected when transitioning from one system to a completely new one. What it really means is that there will be a LOT more Unidentified Dyes on patch day which will cause a big price fall on day one. I’m going to move as many dyes as I can today at peak price, then wait for patch day to buy back and hold because the price will eventually go up again.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

can’t you craft dyes for the gift?
crafted dyes are not affected t all as far as I understand

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

You’ll be able to get the dyes for Bifrost from the Mystic Forge (happy gambling!) or from “rewards” (undefined at this time).

and from crafting …. (see cooking)

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

juno.1840

I fail to see how it’s Anets fault… you had the same opportunity as everyone else to buy some extra dyes if you wanted.

Cause and effect is pretty clear. And opportunity is not the same.

It’s pretty obvious from the blog this would happen — any internal review at ANet should have identified it as such. In short, the information regarding dye drops and duplicate dyes should not have been release in the blog. Agreed the same thing would happen immediately after the patch but at that point the entire system is live.

This is not the first time, nor will it be the last. I suspect there are further details not included in the blog that will still impact the market. In some ways that’s worse as it’s almost like a little internal joke around the water cooler at Anet.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

you still have 20 days to get the dyes as drops

its better that they gave us this much heads up, it’ll allow the market to resettle.

mtpelion.4562

and from crafting …. (see cooking)

You can’t currently craft an unidentified dye that is able to be used for the Gift of Color. They may change this, but that’s why I left it off the list.

Posted by: MangoMan.3218

MangoMan.3218

In my experience getting dye right Requires changing the colors and going Into the Game. This is both necessary for seeing the actual color and for getting a feel for the best setup on new skins. The Current Preview screen is just Too Small, and does not allow Lighting Changes. I see NOTHING to suggest the new Preview screen is any better.

You’re right, I hate this update now that we have to click one more button to confirm our changes. I hate clicking buttons. I just think MMOs should not have buttons.

Please excuse me for that.

Just vanquishing the hate. | Ziios, TC
http://www.youtube.com/MangoMiner

Posted by: Seraphina.6859

Seraphina.6859

I’m very interested in this question, too. I deleted 2 gemstore armor sets for the same reason as Sitkaz.5463. I’d be glad if the new system could track my purchases and unlock these skins in my wardrobe.

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

Just reading through the dyes article now.

I have a quick question:

“When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.”

Does this mean current dye that is unlocked on characters, such as a Celestial Dye that I only have on my Guardian, will not be account bound after this update? Or do current dyes that individual characters own cross over to account-bound dyes? If not, I’m going to be a bit upset.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

They could make it possible to craft unidentified dyes, and / or lower the amount of dyes required for the gift of colors.

mtpelion.4562

Your currently “used” Celestial Dye will become account bound so all of your characters will now have it.

Once the patch goes live, all future dyes will be account bound on use.

Posted by: Silencer.7614

Silencer.7614

I think you are gonna be upset since they said only dyes that you have duplicates on more then 1 char currently, will become account bound. So there fore you will most likely need to buy another celestial.

I’m in the same boat I have Abyss and White unlocked currently on only 1 character each so I’m probably going to be stuck having to buy a second one of each if I want to continue using them.

I hope I’m wrong but that’s how I understood it.

My other concern is with unidentified dyes no longer dropping after the patch goes live the amount of dyes available on TP will dwindle fast and prices will skyrocket. In fact they already have, even the super cheap dyes have jumped drastically in price since the blog post went live. I really think they need to rethink this slightly.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Would this be considered an exploit to cash in on this unidye bubble?

No, but it’s very short sighted, Laurels are gated, gold is not, you really need gold that quick?

You may have some 300 laurels you don’t need, but if Anet remembers to get something cool up there you’re looking at months to get it.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

^ Or achievment-unlocked skins for that matter.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

mtpelion.4562

I think you are gonna be upset since they said only dyes that you have duplicates on more then 1 char currently, will become account bound. So there fore you will most likely need to buy another celestial.

I’m in the same boat I have Abyss and White unlocked currently on only 1 character each so I’m probably going to be stuck having to buy a second one of each if I want to continue using them.

I hope I’m wrong but that’s how I understood it.

My other concern is with unidentified dyes no longer dropping after the patch goes live the amount of dyes available on TP will dwindle fast and prices will skyrocket. In fact they already have, even the super cheap dyes have jumped drastically in price since the blog post went live. I really think they need to rethink this slightly.

You misunderstood.

Your Abyss and White dye will be available for ALL of your characters on patch day. If you had learned Abyss on more than one character, you will also get an Unidentified Dye for each extra Abyss you had learned.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Is it a better deal than the T6 bag? At 55 silver per dye, doesn’t seem that big a difference.

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

Thanks guys, hope this is how it works out (since it wasn’t clearly detailed in the article, unfortunately.)

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

o.O

• Purchased unique skins.
  • Decided didn’t like.
  • Overwrote the skins.
  • Concern over having to re-buy said skins that were not liked in the first place

Why would one consider re-buying skins that they already knows they don’t like?

Because you can only buy them in a complete set. Meaning, I changed my mind on the leggings, and I’m wondering if I’ll have to re-buy the full set or if they have a way of tracking purchases.

Posted by: Link.6157

Link.6157

Every unlocked dye should be unlocked account wide after patch. But will we be able to stack the newly account bound unidentified dyes with the ones we have now account bound to a 250 stack (from pvp etc)?

Posted by: Silencer.7614

Silencer.7614

TY Mtpelion I reread the article and I see what you mean.

Posted by: zeus.2375

zeus.2375

No, you can still make it. Heck it’s probably will still be easier than getting a stack of silver doubloon to make Juggernaut. Yes, i’m still bitter.

Look on the bright side, at least you got a heads up.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

What would you have them do?
Silence? To be accused yet again of poor communication?

Just hope the compensation ones are account bound.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

We know our gem store purchases are tracked (you can see them in the gem store window) so they’ll be able to tell who bought which armor. We just need confirmation if they’re going to translate that into the wardrobe regardless of where each skin piece is now.

Posted by: Anton.1769

Anton.1769

Congratulation to those first people downloaded the game update and bought all dyes by old price! xD

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Would this be considered an exploit to cash in on this unidye bubble?

No. Take for example crafting dyes in PvP. When you make the dye in PvP, the unid’d dye is account bound. The Laurel ones are not.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Yup you were quick as hell. There were already all at 20+ silver when i figure out the trick to get a kitten load of unidentified dye on the 15th.

Too bad. Stupid work always interfering with GW2 lol

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

It would be very funny if ANET decides to change their mind and refund the specific colored dyes instead of unids dye for those who unlocked extra

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

There’s been no downloaded update yet.

It’s all speculation. The thing is, if everyone relists those dyes right now, the supply will gradually increase and profit margins will gradually diminish.

The smart investors will hold onto these until after the feature patch, and either cash in on the increased demand or wait even longer as supply dwindles further.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Arsalan.5240

Arsalan.5240

Does anyone know if this means that if I have 2 chars with the same dye unlocked and if I log on to my other chars, every single one of them will get an unid dye? It’s not very clear on that.

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

I did this long ago when blogs dates where posted nothing about today’s post made me realize the need for them.

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

It would be very funny if ANET decides to change their mind and refund the specific colored dyes instead of unids dye for those who unlocked extra

That would be a mistake. It would flood the market with specific dye palettes instead of…RNG dyes. It’s this way in order to not crash specific dye markets.

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

I managed to cash a lot of my laurels for over 100g so I’m quite happy.

Retired Leader of TTS

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I’m willing to bet those unidentified dyes will be account bound like the pvp ones… and a lot of people were expecting them not to be and to resell as unidentified dyes.. once the patch comes and all of those unidentified dyes they receive are account bound, they’ll just open them.. to receive a bunch of common dyes they already have and so in jumping on this “opportunity” they actually just threw away a lot of gold. If I were an investing man.. I’d resell now while other people are unaware of this possibility.. too late!

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Does anyone know if this means that if I have 2 chars with the same dye unlocked and if I log on to my other chars, every single one of them will get an unid dye? It’s not very clear on that.

No.

You have 2 characters that have that dye unlocked, so the 1 instance of the dye would be saved and applied to all characters on patch day.

The 1 extra dye will be converted to an UNID bottle, and that will only occur once.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

I’m willing to bet those unidentified dyes will be account bound like the pvp ones… and a lot of people were expecting them not to be and to resell as unidentified dyes.. once the patch comes and all of those unidentified dyes they receive are account bound, they’ll just open them.. to receive a bunch of common dyes they already have and so in jumping on this “opportunity” they actually just threw away a lot of gold. If I were an investing man.. I’d resell now while other people are unaware of this possibility.. too late!

even if they were account bound,im still getting several stacks of unid dyes-at least some of them have to be celestial/abyss.
In conclusion $$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: Mad Pig.2890

Mad Pig.2890

Being the genius trader that i am. I suspect people will rush to buy dyes to make the most use of the new system, however as time goes by there will be a increasingly lower demand for them and that will lead to them becoming cheaper than they once were.

You think your life is hard? You don’t even main a Ranger.
~Desolation~

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

If you look at the image in the article, the dye change cost 0 transmutations.

If you look at the image yes it shows 0 cost, but then we don’t know if any dye was put on the armor in that screen shot, at least on the armor change video we could see the cost change as the dev changed the armor pieces,

As of right now it seriously looks like they are going to add a cost to change armor colour under the new system, it would be awesome for a dev to comfirm whether they are adding a charge to a system which is currently free.

Posted by: Anton.1769

Anton.1769

Yup you were quick as hell. There were already all at 20+ silver when i figure out the trick to get a kitten load of unidentified dye on the 15th.

Too bad. Stupid work always interfering with GW2 lol

Sadly, but when I wanted to buy 100500 50c dyes to sharewith my alts they already were 20s (

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

They list a charge cost because you can now preview all the skin transmutations and any dye changes, and then make all the changes at once with a single click.

The cost is there only for transmutations, not dye changes. In that picture the player is changing dye colors, but is not transmuting anything, so the cost is zero.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

even if they were account bound,im still getting several stacks of unid dyes-at least some of them have to be celestial/abyss.
In conclusion $$$$$$$$$$$

That is gambling… I realize investing and gambling go hand in hand.. but I would not make that particular gamble. There are 2 dyes that you want out of a possible 382 dyes and I don’t believe the “drop rate” of each dye is the same, odds are stacked against you.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unidentified_Dye

Slow down and smell the pixels.