Feedback/Questions: The Megaserver System: World Bosses and Events

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: downwithdragons.8291

downwithdragons.8291

You severely misunderstand how the megaserver is working then.

And if a player absolutely refuses to cooperate in the smallest means necessary with a run, or has no interest in joining the run to see new content, dead weight is teh most accurate title to slap on them. They’re taking up zone spaces that would otherwise be better used by someone who wanted to participate in the event.

Now, if they’re going to insist on having large guilds deal with bloodtide coast having 20-30 players worth of dead weight wandering the map, they need to increase the capacity of that zone by 50-100 players or drastically tone back how difficult those fights are.
Until the 15th comes around, large guilds are going to be assuming the worst out of necessity. Once it does, they’re going to have a chance to actually test this new system. And believe me, it’s going to be fun watching anet scramble fixes for server stability if guilds like TTS decide to camp maps like weeniedale and poke at the system until it snaps.

That’s neat.. so why would you think the “leet” folks with TTS would try to circumvent and break the new system instead of trying to adapt and work within it? just the type of people they are or what?

Posted by: ExAstris.8527

ExAstris.8527

This feels a bit like tearing down St Paul’s Cathedral and replacing it with a Christian Processing Mega-Facility.

Sure you get to process a lot more Christians, a lot more efficiently but you can’t quantify what you have lost. So it’s impossible to argue against, it happens, we all deal with it and two years later no-one can remember what it was like before.

Stupid progress.

This assumes people are so apathetic towards the changes that they stick around for two years. This is a consumer market. People demonstrate displeasure with their wallets. There happen to be two new high-profile contenders for our money.

And as someone noted in a meeting I was in last night “its really easy to spend more for gems in a month or three months than you would on three months of time in a sub game. This is the first time a subscription could end up saving me money”.

This just makes no sense at all unless ANet just really really misunderstand player needs. In which case we are here to bounce these sort of drastic ideas off of. Does this just demonstrate to us that the CDI is all bread and circuses?

Holy kitten! I’d gotten so used to my monthly gem allotment that I hadn’t really considered that a sub would actually save me money! Well, hell—since the communities I chose are being overruled by communities chose for me by mega server… I’ll be right back. Hitting up Amazon and some review sites.

Gwen Dlynn; human engineer (1st class)
Sir Reginald Doom; Charr necromancer (wip)
Aurora Skykin; Norn guardian (wip)

Posted by: Bigoak.3270

Bigoak.3270

I just realised, that as the times are in CET the 19:00 Tequatl option is also pretty much off the table for working Irish and UK players. For Ireland and the UK the mega boss times fall at 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 17:00, 18:00 and 19:00 (that’s in IST/BST not CET).

As a working man who (like most workers now, I’d imagine) commutes the only real option there is 19:00 and even that is a stretch. This seems like it might push away a lot of working players.

The fair way to do this would be to have more of these windows that “rotate” from different times. A given boss needs to spawn every 5 hours or that each boss spawns 4 times per day at predictable but different times from day to day.

This means that about 1 in every 5 days you won’t get the boss at all during the 4 or so hours that constitute “peak” times in whatever time-zone you’re in but every one will have days where the bosses spawn during their “peak” times.

I have to agree with this. For someone who’s play window is UK time, currently I can fit all the bosses in my play window. With the new proposed times, I will just make Tequatl and completely miss Karka Queen unless my Guild activates it. Sure, some other Guild can activate it, but how am I suppose to know when this happens and even be in the same map? This new system seems very restrictive.

I’m also worried about the smaller bosses and events. Currently my server is sometimes quiet on certain bosses, and can be done with a few people. Now it will be a melt fest with lag and fps drops. You’ll be lucky to get to events in time on maps when they are constantly full. It’s gone from one extreme to the other.

~Bigoak

Posted by: downwithdragons.8291

downwithdragons.8291

(If this is a concern, ask for ANet to modify the event, rather than pretend that it NEEDS 150 perfectly coordinated people. The map doesn’t belong to anyone, raid guild, or event group. I frankly doubt they playtested it with such an absurd requirement.)

If the event is made easier, it effectively negates the entire reason for the guild’s existence. TTS and other guilds were organized specifically for these very difficult encounters. Without them, these communities would be destroyed.

TTS killed wurm last night with 5 seconds to spare. If even 5 people out of the 150 map cap were not in teamspeak doing exactly what they were told, it would have failed. Nearly everyone there was already familiar with the fight – if there were even 5 randoms not from TTS who had never done a serious attempt before, it would have failed. The encounter was designed to be this difficult purposefully – go back and read the dev comments on it at release if you don’t believe me.

Beating the encounter as is feels like a huge accomplishment because it is so difficult. Taking that difficulty away would mean that there’s no need for TTS anymore. The stated goals of this update include bringing communities together. Making wurm easier would destroy the TTS community.

You do understand the the wurm is not TTS’s personal toy, right?

Posted by: Lolindir.3518

Lolindir.3518

(If this is a concern, ask for ANet to modify the event, rather than pretend that it NEEDS 150 perfectly coordinated people. The map doesn’t belong to anyone, raid guild, or event group. I frankly doubt they playtested it with such an absurd requirement.)

If the event is made easier, it effectively negates the entire reason for the guild’s existence. TTS and other guilds were organized specifically for these very difficult encounters. Without them, these communities would be destroyed.

TTS killed wurm last night with 5 seconds to spare. If even 5 people out of the 150 map cap were not in teamspeak doing exactly what they were told, it would have failed. Nearly everyone there was already familiar with the fight – if there were even 5 randoms not from TTS who had never done a serious attempt before, it would have failed. The encounter was designed to be this difficult purposefully – go back and read the dev comments on it at release if you don’t believe me.

Beating the encounter as is feels like a huge accomplishment because it is so difficult. Taking that difficulty away would mean that there’s no need for TTS anymore. The stated goals of this update include bringing communities together. Making wurm easier would destroy the TTS community.

This, the Wurm so far is only doable by organized guilds. If the maps will always be half full this events will be abandoned because of the frustration it will cause to try to take 130-140 guild members on the map.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

Never said it was. The OP said he was offended because someone called him dead weight. Maybe I’m offended at his suggestion that would destroy a community that I’m part of. It works both ways. I don’t consider myself some elite snob and I resent being referred to as such. I’m just willing to put the time and practice into doing the hard stuff, even if it takes me many failed attempts to get right.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

That’s neat.. so why would you think the “leet” folks with TTS would try to circumvent and break the new system instead of trying to adapt and work within it? just the type of people they are or what?

Large guilds and communities cannot adapt to work within it. Have you been reading any of the last oh…ten pages or so?

This is also not limited to TTS. It also includes TxS, Attuned, GHSC, GASM, PHI (not actually sure if these guys are still active), a Christian community guild with over 400 members, a military community multiserver guild that has two chapters of 500 members, guilds that spawned from other gaming communities and social networks. And those are only the ones that come mind initially, and only in the NA. OCE? Pffft. They don’t even get time slots for world boss spawns.

The point that people are trying to drive home here is that GW has been the game of choice for MANY large, multiserver, multi guild communities. And while they weren’t exactly the best, there were always options for those communities to stick together and do map/world events together. Now there are not. Because the megaserver is jamming everyone together without consideration to multiserver/multichapter guilds.

We get a right click option. That does not solve the problem. We can kickstart events. That does not solve the problem.

What we have now is simply better for everyone except those who play in low pop zones on low pop servers. And even some of them don’t want this.

Also, it breaks the #$#$%%#%$##%ing map. Hello out there, do any of you not see that as an issue? Implementing a thing that breaks half a dozen other things and just put a bow on it and call it a feature…seem a bit weird? To anyone else?

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: synk.8762

synk.8762

Also, it breaks the #$#$%%#%$##%ing map. Hello out there, do any of you not see that as an issue? Implementing a thing that breaks half a dozen other things and just put a bow on it and call it a feature…seem a bit weird? To anyone else?

This is the real point that people should be taking away from all this. Forget my complete displeasure with the whole Boss Event schedule. Skip the disruption to communities that have been built up over a year and a half of play. Ignore the game breaking for RPers. The Megaserver is going to make it so you have to waypoint twice and spend twice as much in WP fees, spend more time running, endure multiple loading screens, create lag, have no good route to popular dungeons – this affects everyone, not some small, “elite” set of players. That should be enough to show the player base and Anet that something is severely wrong with this implementation. There has to be a better way to get the results they want.

(edited by synk.8762)

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

1. Seems like these strict timers for WBs defeat the main benefit of the Megaserver system — that if you’re some unfortunate person who can’t play until 10 at night, you can still potentially find enough players, by combining multiple worlds, to complete bosses now. By putting them on timers which may completely fail to overlap with play schedules, you’ve gone from a system where they were likely to fail these encounters to a system where they aren’t allowed to play them at all.

This is actually something i didn’t think about. Basically the system doesn’t even work with the intended goals. Do these ppl even think about what they are doing here?

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

No, they don’t.

AcidicVision.5498

No, they don’t.

Mass generalizations do not suite you. The community makes up over 6,000 active members. Exactly half of the raids they do are hosted on main instances and totally open to the server community.

The leaders frequently go to other servers to teach that server’s commanders how to effectively run things like Wurm and Teq. And this is done at the request of those servers event guilds.

Even wurm is not 100% exclusive as anyone can look at the website and see the schedule or leader list and ask where they need to be. No favoritism is shown between actual members and guests during migration to a server or overflow. It is purely first come first serve.

Some people seem to be under the misconception that its some exclusive club.

That is incorrect. And also off topic. But I felt the need to make the correction because losing large communities like TTS and TxS would havea negative impact on the game. Quite literally every day there are people that get their first wurm or first Teq kill because a large community was there to organize, teach or help. I don’t understand why anyone would feel the need to disparage those efforts.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Instead of having 51 Brisban Wildlands you will end up with 2 (1 US and 1 EU) and the 1-2 players of each Brisban Wildlands will become 25-50 players in each copy of it.

You don’t see this as a problem?
It shouldn’t take merging 20 servers to bring the population of a map up to a whopping 20, while a boss map has filled and spilled over onto generated copies to accommodate them all.
Merging that many servers to have still so few people is a joke. The map is still dead in terms of PvE in this game. There’s still no reason to be there. They’re not adding content or incentive to be there or play together.
All they’re doing is adding the illusion of population by herding everyone to one merged server at boss time. Its going to be same situation it is now. 20ish people spread out over entire maps of dead zones and a herded population zerging bosses on a set schedule complaining about lag and not being able to see or tag anything.

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

I’ve only had one interaction with TTS. They filled up the instance I was in for the wurm, and then all ported out at the last minute to get with a couple of their friends, leaving my instance almost empty right as the wurm was about to start.

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

I’ve only had one interaction with TTS. They filled up the instance I was in for the wurm, and then all ported out at the last minute to get with a couple of their friends, leaving my instance almost empty right as the wurm was about to start.

They fill a map completely to force multi OF maps and try to find a completely empty one, then they will pull only TTS members on TS into that map for the Best chance possible to win.

I fully agree with them doing this, kitten -10 pugs not on TS doing the wrong things could make the event fail for the other 100-120 players.

Note that this is mostly when learning the fights and when they are easily completed they will do them in Mains.

SAB or RIOT

(edited by Faux.1937)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I fully agree with them doing this, kitten -10 pugs not on TS doing the wrong things could make the event fail for the other 100-120 players.

And that’s a flaw in the content design which should be addressed. It is not, however, a valid reason to not fix the population distribution issue.

TTS was formed to address a problem. One would think that the members of TTS would be overjoyed on the day when their guild becomes optional rather than required.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

And that’s a flaw in the content design which should be addressed. It is not, however, a valid reason to not fix the population distribution issue.

TTS was formed to address a problem. One would think that the members of TTS would be overjoyed on the day when their guild becomes optional rather than required.

I am, Im very happy that Anet FINALLY is thinking its ok for a guild to open events on their own time.

I cant wait for my guild to start doing these and getting more players involved, I have hopes that it will bring bigger guilds closer together with each member and more likely to make more guild members jump on VOIPs and try to became a better/more involved player.

SAB or RIOT

AcidicVision.5498

They fill a map completely to force multi OF maps and try to find a completely empty one, then they will pull only TTS members on TS into that map for the Best chance possible to win.

That is not true. If you are on the TS and you hear a leader say “Taxi on me for overflow” or see someone in the TS chat say they are taxiing to overflow, then you can get in. The TS is open to guests and members are usually spamming the address in /m prior to the move to make sure everyone has ample time to get on that wants to participate.

There is zero favoritism shown to members. Even if they wanted to limit it to members only, that is completely impossible since multiple taxis are bringing in so many people so fast. An overflow fills up in seconds. No one is checking that every single person that requests an invite is a member.

This is all way way off topic and should get back on track. Anyone with questions on how TTS works can visit their website. If you have specific questions, feel free to post on the forums and ask. You will get an answer pretty quick.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Update-on-the-MegaServer-roll-out-plan/first#post3858245

Update on Meagserver rollout. this might quell a few arguments and answer some questions.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

You severely misunderstand how the megaserver is working then.

And if a player absolutely refuses to cooperate in the smallest means necessary with a run, or has no interest in joining the run to see new content, dead weight is teh most accurate title to slap on them. They’re taking up zone spaces that would otherwise be better used by someone who wanted to participate in the event.

Now, if they’re going to insist on having large guilds deal with bloodtide coast having 20-30 players worth of dead weight wandering the map, they need to increase the capacity of that zone by 50-100 players or drastically tone back how difficult those fights are.
Until the 15th comes around, large guilds are going to be assuming the worst out of necessity. Once it does, they’re going to have a chance to actually test this new system. And believe me, it’s going to be fun watching anet scramble fixes for server stability if guilds like TTS decide to camp maps like weeniedale and poke at the system until it snaps.

Never. They didn’t choose to be what you call “dead weight”. You are calling them that, and quite unnecessarily so. They didn’t choose to be on what you think should be “your instance” (which it ISN’T). No need to even address them as anything, if you don’t have any other good thing to say about them.

“Dead weight” is on the vocabulary of jerks, pure and simple.

I agree with the toning back, so that it’s perfectly doable with less players. As aforementioned, though, I doubt a few stragglers will “hold you back.”

I disagree with the appropriateness of calling others who weren’t part of your initial planned event run “dead weight”. They are human, and perfectly capable players who happened to be on the map-kitten them for “inconveniencing you”, right? How “selfish” of them to happen to be in the map during the same time you wish to do a world event. Quite obviously, such claims are rather ridiculous and offensive.

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Update-on-the-MegaServer-roll-out-plan/first#post3858245

Update on Meagserver rollout. this might quell a few arguments and answer some questions.

That does not address one of the core concerns. Players with a limited-window play time will not be able to experience certain normal bosses at all with the new schedule.

At a bare minimum, please have the ‘low tier’ bosses run two at a time. As an added benefit, that should hopefully spread players out a bit too. [Edit – Or, just shift the low tier bosses by one ‘slot’ every day.]

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

(edited by Sungak Alkandenes.1369)

AcidicVision.5498

Hello!

Here’s some clarification, as I understand that this whole thing is quite complicated to grasp.

• The roll-out plan ultimately include all maps in the open world, including the cities. The speed at which we’ll roll out the system will depends on how the system performs versus our expectations, but the goal is to ultimately cover the whole open world.
  • The roll-out is done on a per-map basis. Once a map uses the MegaServer system, it uses it for all Worlds (that is the point of the MegaServer system). The “map population” I am referring to is the average population on the map across all Worlds.

Thanks for your comments!
— Samuel

Sam…Sam…we love you Sam. The thing is, it’s not really that complicated to grasp. The thing is that most of us don’t want it. The thing is it hurts more than it helps on a game wide issue. The thing is the implementation is actually breaking simple features (like the map!).

Well, that’s actually three things. Most of us beta tested the game already. We don’t want to again. We had to wait for months post launch to get the guesting service that was a selling point. So we could have control over who we play with instead of an algorithm deciding for us. So we could do the things we want, when we want, as we can. Not so Anet could force us into a schedule and dictate what we can and cant do on our play time.

These are the things.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

(edited by AcidicVision.5498)

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Sam…Sam…we love you Sam. The thing is, it’s not really that complicated to grasp. The thing is that most of us don’t want it. The thing is it hurts more than it helps on a game wide issue. The thing is the implementation is actually breaking simple features (like the map!).

Well, that’s actually three things. Most of us beta tested the game already. We don’t want to again. We had to wait for months post launch to get the guesting service that was a selling point. So we could have control over who we play with instead of an algorithm deciding for us.

These are the things.

Did you want the guesting feature so you can play with your friends or so that you could be separated from some of them while you go join some others.

Do you not still have control by being able to party with them then join in their map?

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

In terms of timers / schedules, why not leave the system as it is, but have the same set of timers across all servers? That way people who play in the same time block of time aren’t stuck with the same block of bosses.

I don’t understand why the current timer system has to change with the move to underflow servers.

pdavis.8031

That does not address one of the core concerns. Players with a limited-window play time will not be able to experience certain normal bosses at all with the new schedule.

At a bare minimum, please have the ‘low tier’ bosses run two at a time. As an added benefit, that should hopefully spread players out a bit too. [Edit – Or, just shift the low tier bosses by one ‘slot’ every day.]

Maybe, but we have no concrete schedule in place. All we have is, what seems to be, an example of a schedule. We do know that there is a 3 hour window for those bosses. Thats it. I would like to give the Devs more credit. They designed the game, they play test the changes long before announcment, and know what they are doing. Its hard to believe that a successful company would just roll out changes without any regard to how it will effect their player base and not take these issues into consideration. We don’t really know anything about the logistics of this system. Alot of assumptions are being made, and made mostly out of ignorance. Until the launch of the patch, and seeing it in action, we can only speculate.

It reminds me of the Y2K problem that everyone was freaking out about, and we all saw how THAT turned out.

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: kmortonson.2154

kmortonson.2154

Maybe, but we have no concrete schedule in place. All we have is, what seems to be, an example of a schedule. We do know that there is a 3 hour window for those bosses. Thats it. I would like to give the Devs more credit. They designed the game, they play test the changes long before announcment, and know what they are doing. Its hard to believe that a successful company would just roll out changes without any regard to how it will effect their player base and not take these issues into consideration. We don’t really know anything about the logistics of this system. Alot of assumptions are being made, and made mostly out of ignorance. Until the launch of the patch, and seeing it in action, we can only speculate.

No, ANet gave us the schedule – it’s right there in the blog post: “See the following schedule for the new twenty-four hour rotation schedule for our bosses.” They have said it’s subject to change for tuning and new content, but for now that IS the schedule.

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

In terms of timers / schedules, why not leave the system as it is, but have the same set of timers across all servers? That way people who play in the same time block of time aren’t stuck with the same block of bosses.

I don’t understand why the current timer system has to change with the move to underflow servers.

The current timer system only worked in ‘Main’ instances that were associated with a server, which stayed up 24×7 until the next reset (which considered the reset time as Start, and began all the timers from that). Overflow instances that are created do not have this timer system added in.

This new system is basically a series of Overflow maps – there is no ‘Main’ instance, except by what majority of players from one server exists in a given instance. They will create and delete at will, so the old timer system does not work – there is no 24×7 instance with a known ‘Start’ time to begin those timers.

Small warning, pulling out the SysAdmin/Programmer hat for this next bit.

What they are implementing to get around this is something akin to Scheduled Tasks or Crontab (look those up in Wikipedia if not familiar). Each instance (which I assume is an individual process) will probably be controlled by a master ‘Timer’ process, that handles the Boss timer unlocks at set times.

There are a couple of ways that the scheduling itself can be implemented; I won’t be certain until I see what the responses from them are. But most common schedule systems can kick off two things at the same time just fine (which is why I suggested that above). A rotating schedule is a bit harder, but doable with a little background fiddling (and could probably re-use code from other areas).

Now, the new Guild Token intrigues me. Once you have an override switch available, if done generically enough you can apply that elsewhere. I suspect this new consumable is just a re-worked Guild Mission unlock. There’s nothing stopping ArenaNet (other than restricting the economy) to have this unlock apply to the ‘Mid Tier’ bosses as well (or make another one for those).

Again, my apologies for getting a little technical here. I hope its helped to some degree anyway.

I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Pretty sure people already posted it, but…

How the heck will a TTS or PSDH or any other world boss guild member be able to get to an empty enough map to accomodate the other 100+ people for the event at any time, even when triggered as a mission? If maps are always being kept relatively filled, it means that, unlike previously when you could mass-guest to a low-pop server, there’ll always be an unremovable dead weight in the map doing anything but what the raid members want.

“Bravo” for calling people you don’t know “unremovable dead weight.” News: not every random player is an idiot who must by necessity ruin your meta world events just by being there. Some despicable attitude right there.

Most probably you’ll be able to accommodate your 100+ “leet” friends on the map there anyway. That’s what has been announced at least, as far as I understand it. The few remaining players won’t affect your run, and may indeed even be helpful if you just opened your mind about other people other than your friends being perfectly capable to play, adapt, and do well (of course, in your mind only your friends and guildies are good enough for you-everyone else must suck and won’t be “carrying their weight.”)

Eeeeehh…

Nope. By “dead weight” I mean players who’re contributing to the event as much as if they were dead bodies; another poster once described them as “20 AFK players hidden on the bottom of a lake”. And by no means “randoms” or “casuals” who’re trying to enjoy the event at their best are a “dead weight”.

The reason why I’m saying it is that I’m not a part of TTS, but a member of a “PUG megaguild” Piken Square Dragon Hunters – and by several events I’ve been to I can say that people who’re taking space in the map (AFKing at waypoints or doing whatever they do there) but not participating really hurt the mostly casual players who’re trying to beat the bugged Tequatl (no damage from megalaser) on a hard-capped non-taxiable map, but who lack experience and DpS. I’ve been to runs we succeeded, I’ve been to runs we didn’t – and I can tell you that to fail at last seconds after a 40-minute organisation and waiting feels just as bad as listening to trolls who stayed at Durmand Priory during Marionette on a hardcapped map and AFKers during Knights event in LA.

And with the Megaserver system, it may get significantly harder to find a mostly empty map to fill with suboptimal – read “casual”, “random”, non-l33t – players who beat their bosses by numbers rather than by skill. Yes, the highly skilled guilds will manage it anyway; but will “casual” guilds? Not anymore.

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

It reminds me of the Y2K problem that everyone was freaking out about, and we all saw how THAT turned out.

I agree, and that’s why I’m reserving some judgement (or at minimum asking for more clarification). But some of what I do at work is to ‘reverse engineer’ how processes are done, to confirm they are sound – and worth the cost (helps with shopping for new vendor solutions). I’ve posted an example of that above, and is usually a SWAG during the initial stages, but is sometimes enough at times.

Also, I worked on the Y2K changes for part of the Financial Sector, it was a three year behind-the-scenes effort so that nothing happened (including several rounds of ‘rushed’ patches from the various vendors). Quite proud of that actually.

(edited by Sungak Alkandenes.1369)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

You must be joking. All evidence points to the fact that Anet doesn’t playtest (see: AC troll cut-and-paste in HoTW for the latest example) and doesn’t know what they’re doing.

That’s why it’s important to speak out — Anet almost certainly hasn’t thought this through sufficiently.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Eeeeehh…

Nope. By “dead weight” I mean players who’re contributing to the event as much as if they were dead bodies; another poster once described them as “20 AFK players hidden on the bottom of a lake”. And by no means “randoms” or “casuals” who’re trying to enjoy the event at their best are a “dead weight”.

There is more than just the one event taking place in any given zone/map. It does not do your position any good to insult or negatively label people who may very well be in the zone playing the game as intended by pursuing hearts or other events. It creates the impression that you believe that you have a monopoly on the, “right way,” to play the game and that anyone who does not play as you do is deserving of scorn and ridicule.

I am not saying that this is intended, but thought you might want to know how it comes across.

Its hard to believe that a successful company would just roll out changes without any regard to how it will effect their player base and not take these issues into consideration.

Even successful companies make mistakes. Consider some of the former big time players that are now shadows of their former selves, or gone completely.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

pdavis.8031

No, ANet gave us the schedule – it’s right there in the blog post: “See the following schedule for the new twenty-four hour rotation schedule for our bosses.” They have said it’s subject to change for tuning and new content, but for now that IS the schedule.

I understand that the schedule posted in the blog is what cause a major concern. However it IS subject to change for “tuning and new content”, as you mentioned. This means that if there are enough people OUTSIDE of that regional prime time specified unable to do the event, the time CAN and WILL change to something in between. So the main prime time players may have to wait until the middle or near the end of their window to play the event. The whole schedule is fluid. There is also the option of guilds poping the event. If a majority of your guild is on the same play schedule as you are, you can still do the event. I’m sure there is at least 1 officer on at any given time to activate it according to guild wishes. Not to mention that ANYONE can join in a guild activated boss event. I don’t think it’ll be too much of a burden for those unable to play during peak hours.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

It seems like this will make doing bosses overly complex. At this time, every reset we do a world event train. This will no longer be possible. Meaning the amount of loot earned is drastically lowered.

I personally do not like the change.

Does this Nerf the ability to do Champion Trains? Yeah!!!! Thank you Anet!!!!!

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

kmortonson.2154

I understand that the schedule posted in the blog is what cause a major concern. However it IS subject to change for “tuning and new content”, as you mentioned. This means that if there are enough people OUTSIDE of that regional prime time specified unable to do the event, the time CAN and WILL change to something in between. So the main prime time players may have to wait until the middle or near the end of their window to play the event. The whole schedule is fluid. There is also the option of guilds poping the event. If a majority of your guild is on the same play schedule as you are, you can still do the event. I’m sure there is at least 1 officer on at any given time to activate it according to guild wishes. Not to mention that ANYONE can join in a guild activated boss event. I don’t think it’ll be too much of a burden for those unable to play during peak hours.

You appear to just be referring to the mega-events – those are the only ones with any flexibility due to the ability of guilds to start them. However, none of the other events allow this – the boss will start at the scheduled time, and if they are not killed in a set time frame, the event will fail. There is nothing fluid about the schedule for the non-megabosses. If you can only play during a set time, you will only see the same few bosses over and over and over. Hence the suggestions to increase the number of bosses spawning at the same time, or to shift the timing so the bosses will spawn at different times each day.

Nerelith.7360

Hate it. And here’s why: I’m part of Attuned, a guild focused on fighting those “Hardcore” mega bosses. While it’s nice we can start the boss whenever we want, it’s terrible that we can no longer commandeer a map for ourselves.

Let me explain. Fights like the Triple Headed Jungle Wurm require coordination by 120~160 people with at least 110 of which in the same teamspeak. To accomplish this, my guild has been guesting to empty servers or forcing an overflow for private use. This ensures that we have only people who we know we can count on in the map and furthermore ensures we can actually accomplish killing the Wurm on a regular basis.

With the changes to the current system, it sounds like there will be no such thing as overflows, and no such thing as “empty maps” to guest to. In this case, it seems impossible to purge our runs of PUGs who are either geared incorrectly or unable/unwilling to follow commander instruction. Thus, this system makes future endeavors at killing the wurm (or any future, more-difficult boss) futile and impossible. Our guild is very dismayed over the fact that there has been no considerations for this situation and are skeptical that when this patch hits we’ll be able to kill wurm at all anymore due to the excessive amount of incompetent PUGs that will always be inside our (now merged) Bloodtide Coast.

" Oh noes, we will be forced to rub elbows with…riff raff!!!"

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Eeeeehh…

There is more than just the one event taking place in any given zone/map. It does not do your position any good to insult or negatively label people who may very well be in the zone playing the game as intended by pursuing hearts or other events. It creates the impression that you believe that you have a monopoly on the, “right way,” to play the game and that anyone who does not play as you do is deserving of scorn and ridicule.

I am not saying that this is intended, but thought you might want to know how it comes across.

I’m perfectly aware of it (and I even have a whole thread about it); there’s “play how you want”, but that works both ways. 100 people want to slay Tequatl; 10 people want to do hearts; 10 people want to forget their chars at waypoint and go watch TV. 20 people “play how they want”, 100 people “fail to play how they want” because of the first 20. Who is to blame for it?

ANet. For designing the boss to require a whole map of suboptimal players but introducing counter-productive goals and failing to provide ways to access it as an instance so everyone is happy.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Treebeard The Swift.9620

Treebeard The Swift.9620

The thing is – no-one from anet has stated that you will be able to get into a zone with your friends 100%. With the caps on maps and the guild events etc that go on all over the world you will constantly be bumped into different areas and split up. If you’re planning on doing shadow behemoth with your mates – theres how many champ farms running?
Suddenly all those people are in your queue, if their shard is full – their overflow gets dropped down to the next shard.
The algorithm will try to get you into a spot on your home server but queens will fill in seconds. This will be the same with large world bosses, and with a timer every complete newbie knows where to go to get in on it.
The chances of getting anything guild related done in any fairly populated area will be a complete pain in the kitten .
Also – as your guild starts filling a zone – suddenly its a popular zone (due to numbers) so now any people zoning in get bumped into your area you’re trying to fill (its not a seperate overflow its now an area with a growing population).
edit: Also – when the new zergy content LS2 shows up, those areas are going to be hit with the same issues. Good luck trying to do a guild event when the ls has 90% of the population zerging the area your guild events in.
Imagine trying to do a mega boss while another guild is trying to get their rush/jumping done in the same zone? trying to do teq while there’s 40 people wandering around doing mapping or dynamic events. The overflow system enabled you to get the people you needed, where you needed them. If i’m harvesting nodes and helping 6 guildies map sparkfly and teq pops – i’m dead weight. I’m not interested in doing teq, they’re all minimum level guildies in cheap gear with low dps. Guilds like TTS suddenly are STUCK with me and my roving band, so yes, we are dead weight and eating up slots that would help them succeed. The system is a shocking idea. Dead zones will still be dead because theres no kitten reason to be in there, nothing has changed for the better.

(edited by Treebeard The Swift.9620)

pdavis.8031

You appear to just be referring to the mega-events – those are the only ones with any flexibility due to the ability of guilds to start them. However, none of the other events allow this – the boss will start at the scheduled time, and if they are not killed in a set time frame, the event will fail. There is nothing fluid about the schedule for the non-megabosses. If you can only play during a set time, you will only see the same few bosses over and over and over. Hence the suggestions to increase the number of bosses spawning at the same time, or to shift the timing so the bosses will spawn at different times each day.

I can see that, however, in my specific play time window I can do almost every WB. (2015-2330ish). Guesting is still an option, why not guest to an Eastern (or Pacific) server to get the events, and maybe a EU server if needed? It shouldn’t matter which one as they will all be linked via Megaserver, and you’ll not go over your guesting limit. Just an idea. There are still options for being able to do those events.

Yes I was refering mostly to the mega events, but the point I believe is the same. There is no reason you’ll not be able to do ALL of the WB on any given play schedule.

recognize my command!”

Nerelith.7360

Wait, so we’re not going to be able to know when temple events are up when this gets to Orr? The blog says temple events aren’t being synchronized…so they’re going to be random on every map and thus impossible to get timers for?

With the fact that a whopping one waypoint in every Orr zone will be unlocked (since you’re locking all possible contested WPs until you load into the map), this is going to be extremely inefficient, having to constantly run around to see if any of the meta events for the temples are up.

Who thought this was a brilliant idea, again?

This IS a Brilliant Idea!

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

There should be a way to spin up private instances (raids?) for world bosses.

That’s all I have to say before you destroy every single large scale PvE guild and leave thousands of players with nothing left to do in the game.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

(edited by Spiuk.8421)

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

There should be a way to spawn private instances (raids?) for world bosses.

That’s all I have to say before you destroy every single large scale PvE guild and leave thousands of players with nothing left to do in the game.

That’s exactly what they’re doing. Allowing guilds to start spawns.

Or, do you really mean ‘Private’ where no one else can get a piece of the action?

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

kmortonson.2154

I can see that, however, in my specific play time window I can do almost every WB. (2015-2330ish). Guesting is still an option, why not guest to an Eastern (or Pacific) server to get the events, and maybe a EU server if needed? It shouldn’t matter which one as they will all be linked via Megaserver, and you’ll not go over your guesting limit. Just an idea. There are still options for being able to do those events.

Yes I was refering mostly to the mega events, but the point I believe is the same. There is no reason you’ll not be able to do ALL of the WB on any given play schedule.

Guesting is not an option – ALL the servers/maps will be launching the same boss at the same time. If it’s Shadow Behemoth’s turn, Shadow Behemoth will be the only world boss launching – time zone and NA/EU have no effect on it.

If, for example, you can only play between 8:15 PM and 10:15PM PST – you will never see Claw, Golem or Ulgoth. No matter where you guest to (if guesting is even still possible), you will never be able to fight these bosses.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

There should be a way to spawn private instances (raids?) for world bosses.

That’s exactly what they’re doing. Allowing guilds to start spawns.

Or, do you really mean ’Private’ where no one else can get a piece of the action?

Private as you need to be invited to get into that particular instance, like a dungeon.

I’ll switch "spawn" with "spin up" so it is more clear.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

(edited by Spiuk.8421)

pdavis.8031

Guesting is not an option – ALL the servers/maps will be launching the same boss at the same time. If it’s Shadow Behemoth’s turn, Shadow Behemoth will be the only world boss launching – time zone and NA/EU have no effect on it.

If, for example, you can only play between 8:15 PM and 10:15PM PST – you will never see Claw, Golem or Ulgoth. No matter where you guest to (if guesting is even still possible), you will never be able to fight these bosses.

It would appear that I misread the schedule. In any case it seems that there should be something already in place that hasn’t been mentioned by the Devs to work around this issue. Perhaps a Dev can comment on this? Thanks!

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

I’m sure this will get moved to the huge thread about the Boss timers/events. However, I would like to ask for Dev clarification.

According to the current posted boss event schedule, there are many who will NEVER be able to do any of the mega events, and will be stuck with just a few bosses all the time. I am one of those. For us, it is simply impossible for us to change our play schedule due to job and family obligations. Will there be a way for us to do those other events? Like being able to guest to an eastern time zone server, or EU server? I know that guilds can activate the mega events, but that doesn’t solve the problem of ONLY being able to do some of the events. Please clarify. Thanks!!

Merged thread

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: Noctology.7238

Noctology.7238

Please just make dungeons “open” all the time. With the LFG system it’s already irksome to manage cross servers, now hiding the status of a place until you go there?

Just keep the dungeons open all the time, the world will not suffer.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

How about having our contact list affect our map placing? Or, give us the ability to join more guilds, please?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: MrFlump.8725

MrFlump.8725

You could have just read the whole blog posts and known this but I’ll post it for you.

Guild World Events

Looking at the schedule, you may already be thinking that these times won’t work out for you and your guild if you want to go after the most difficult hard-core mega bosses, or perhaps you’re wishing for a chance to take on Tequatl more than three times a day. Fortunately for you, we’re introducing a very exciting feature with this change that will allow guilds to activate some of these events at their leisure!

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

I posted a different suggestion that appeases both the people in favor of this idea and the people opposed to this idea. I hope the link works. I for one feel that my suggestion is a better way forward than this forced idea that Anet has. I know not everyone will agree but I think most will agree it is better (I hope!).

Check it out: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Update-on-the-MegaServer-roll-out-plan/page/2#post3858740

www.vanquishing.enjin.com

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

The mega bosses will occur during fixed time every 8 hours regardless of what time zone you’re in. If the time conflict your schedule you can always join guilds that can activate these mega events during times you are available. There is no other ways.

Posted by: village idiot.1436

village idiot.1436

Update fails miserably to address any of my concerns. People with similar play times each day will be permanently synced into the same schedule of events each day and locked out of events that don’t fall within it.

More choices over events is desirable not less. Heading in entirely the wrong direction.

Make the very difficult meta bosses like wurm and tequatl occur in an instanced version of the map so that only the people wanting to participate in that event are present.

Downtimes between events is far too long. This event schedule is a terrible idea that will ruin open world pve for me.