Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

This could be very simple.

Some people were asking for the chance to wear Town Clothes as armor. They got their wish, but for technical reasons many Town Clothes wouldn’t convert over to armor as-is.

To keep Town Clothes in the game for the people who bought them, they adopted the “Outfit” system, which bypasses those technical issues at the cost of the ability to mix-and-match individual pieces.

I appreciate that they did what they could to keep us from completely losing our Town Clothes, but they didn’t count on something; that NOBODY who purchased Town Clothes bought them to wear in combat, because you couldn’t wear them in combat. EVERYBODY bought them to wear around town. These were Role Players and people who wanted to create new, individual looks for themselves to show off. If nothing else, it was a way to get attention without flaunting a Legendary weapon or flashing a Commander’s icon.

Unfortunately, the Outfit system does away with the ability to create a unique look. One size fits all, with very limited colors to boot. I’m glad they tried to let us keep our Town Clothes, but Outfits do not fit the people who purchased Town Clothes. I doubt they will see much use, since they are unable to provide the individuality craved by their target audience.

What I see as a solution: Start from scratch if necessary and remake all the old Town Clothes that we bought. Turn them into individual armor skin pieces that work under the new system.

The darker sides of this issue bring forth questions of future trust in the company, as well as anger at being hit in the wallet. I believe both those complaints could be mostly dissolved if they took steps to make all of our old Town Clothing pieces into armor skins. Not one-piece Outfits. Not one-piece undyable tonics. If they tell us this is happening, we will wait as patiently as possible while it gets done.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Brokeback.9543

Brokeback.9543

This could be very simple.

Some people were asking for the chance to wear Town Clothes as armor. They got their wish, but for technical reasons many Town Clothes wouldn’t convert over to armor as-is.

To keep Town Clothes in the game for the people who bought them, they adopted the “Outfit” system, which bypasses those technical issues at the cost of the ability to mix-and-match individual pieces.

I appreciate that they did what they could to keep us from completely losing our Town Clothes, but they didn’t count on something; that NOBODY who purchased Town Clothes bought them to wear in combat, because you couldn’t wear them in combat. EVERYBODY bought them to wear around town. These were Role Players and people who wanted to create new, individual looks for themselves to show off. If nothing else, it was a way to get attention without flaunting a Legendary weapon or flashing a Commander’s icon.

Unfortunately, the Outfit system does away with the ability to create a unique look. One size fits all, with very limited colors to boot. I’m glad they tried to let us keep our Town Clothes, but Outfits do not fit the people who purchased Town Clothes. I doubt they will see much use, since they are unable to provide the individuality craved by their target audience.

What I see as a solution: Start from scratch if necessary and remake all the old Town Clothes that we bought. Turn them into individual armor skin pieces that work under the new system.

The darker sides of this issue bring forth questions of future trust in the company, as well as anger at being hit in the wallet. I believe both those complaints could be mostly dissolved if they took steps to make all of our old Town Clothing pieces into armor skins. Not one-piece Outfits. Not one-piece undyable tonics. If they tell us this is happening, we will wait as patiently as possible while it gets done.

Agreed. If this was the course of action that within say… a year (hopefully less).. we could get access to ALL our town clothes pieces as armor/armor skins under the new warddrobe system… then I could be satisfied to wait once it was clearly announced and promised and either a. I did not have to repay for them or b. was refunded temporarily what it costs for them and could rebuy the armor version when it comes out. I appreciate your solution Hamfast, though I still can’t believe what Arenanet has been saying to customers. Anyway, I don’t see why copying and editing the models and code would be much more difficult than creating 3 brand new armors per named set released.

(edited by Brokeback.9543)

Posted by: Zesbeer.8365

Zesbeer.8365

I am unsure if this has been asked and or answered but will we have to roll 22 characters to get all of the biography armor options? (example: the starter mesmer masks) or are those skins going to be basic unlocks for everyone?

Posted by: Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

I am unsure if this has been asked and or answered but will we have to roll 22 characters to get all of the biography armor options? (example: the starter mesmer masks) or are those skins going to be basic unlocks for everyone?

I believe there was originally a thread for the armor part of the Wardrobe change (technically this is just the Town Clothes/Outfits thread) but it’s probably buried and this one is still pretty darned active, so I don’t blame you for not noticing! It might have been answered in that thread.

And honestly I’m more worried that they’re going to start making it so only characters who chose that biography option can use a given biography skin, given that we used to turn them into account-bound items from soulbound items by using the way Transmutation Stones and white-rarity items interact, so it wasn’t really part of what they intended for us to be able to do. And since they don’t care how we actually used Town Clothes and are trying to make them do what they intended them to do no matter how much we liked what they actually did… I think they might consider “what ANet intends” to win out over “what we liked to do with what we were given.”

Hamfast.8719

I would assume that when you create an Elementalist with the Fire headpiece, then it is unlocked for your account forever after. Then delete that Elementalist and create one with an Earth headpiece. Boom – that one is unlocked for your account forever after. Etc. In about a half hour you could zap through all the Professions and have all the starter-unique armor pieces unlocked forever after I would think.

I’m mostly scared that our starter Town Clothes will probably become one-piece “Outfits”.

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

Posted by: Zesbeer.8365

Zesbeer.8365

I believe there was originally a thread for the armor part of the Wardrobe change (technically this is just the Town Clothes/Outfits thread) but it’s probably buried and this one is still pretty darned active, so I don’t blame you for not noticing! It might have been answered in that thread.

And honestly I’m more worried that they’re going to start making it so only characters who chose that biography option can use a given biography skin, given that we used to turn them into account-bound items from soulbound items by using the way Transmutation Stones and white-rarity items interact, so it wasn’t really part of what they intended for us to be able to do. And since they don’t care how we actually used Town Clothes and are trying to make them do what they intended them to do no matter how much we liked what they actually did… I think they might consider “what ANet intends” to win out over “what we liked to do with what we were given.”

I looked for said thread and could not find it but then again the search function on these forums is awful. so sorry for the hijack if you have a link I would appreciate it.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Keanu Reeves is sad.

What is Sad Keanu sad about?

He is losing this outfit on the 15th. I hope you’re happy ANet. Keanu was already sad about his sandwich. Now this.

Best April 1st 2014 picture. Poor Keanu.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

I looked for said thread and could not find it but then again the search function on these forums is awful. so sorry for the hijack if you have a link I would appreciate it.

Huh, yeah, I can’t find it either. You might try the Dolyak Express: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dolyak-Express-March-28-2014/first The current Dolyak Express is about the feature pack, so your question will fit right in there!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

If we’ve accidentally deleted parts of a paid-for costume set in the past, or regrettably deleted them to make room in our banks, will those parts of the sets still be accessible to us in the wardrobe, or are we S.O.L.?

They stated that if you still have any gemstore armor pieces the entire set will be unlocked for your account, I would assume the same would apply to costume pieces. Actually, it has to, since all costumes are going to become either armor pieces, full-body costumes, or full body tonics.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

1) anet Always said they didn t want to have heavies trasmute light skins and similar die to visual clues.
Seems their principle are Always so easy to change when they want….

2) I, like many Others, got town clothes to use as town clothes (costume brawl and such)…
I don t want to trasmute them on another armor nor i want to waste inventory space on them…
Not to mention the awful design of helms that remove hairs, will force me to switch hair options every time and even worse stuff like halloween horns etc will become unusable….

There is really no reason to change town clothes at all i don t want chefs in WWW with no visual clues on wich class they could be.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

Eh, if you’re inspecting someone you’re trying to kill’s armor visually to try to figure out their class you’re doing it wrong. But with that said, one poster put it well already

everybody who bought town clothes didn’t buy them to wear in combat, because you couldn’t wear them in combat. So this is effectively a big “Well, sucks for you too bad you might be losing what you paid for, so sorry!” to those who did buy them

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

And for all who are saying the final awnser was already given, remember, nothing is ever final in an online game. A change is always possible! ^^

You’re a lot more optimistic than I am about this.

After reading the red responses in the thread already, I don’t feel like ArenaNet cares one way or another about the issue. It’s done, too bad so sad.

I salute the people who are still trying to change ArenaNet’s mind, but I’m out. Of the thread, of the game, I don’t know. The thread, at least. And there’s no way in heck that I’d ever consider spending more money on the gem store again (have I repeated that enough to make the point? Yeah, I think so).

Posted by: sablephoenix.1593

sablephoenix.1593

The endless tonic will grant the appearance of the clothing it replaced. (along with some appropriate complimentary pieces so you’re not naked). They are new tonics, not existing ones.

Only one tonic can be used at one time.

There will be no town-clothes swap any more.. so you won’t be switching to naked.

This is unacceptable.

I specifically purchased the Riding Pants, Riding Boots and Riding Gloves to pair up with the Layered Vest and give my noblewoman a nice outfit for taking air in the country.

A “Riding Gloves” tonic that ONLY carries the gloves and adds everything else as some kind of default “choice” (by which I mean, a removal of choice) defeats the entire purpose.

My Winter outfit changing my entire appearance at once without being able to segment it is also unacceptable.

In general I like the wardrobe system as it’s been explained, but the removal of town clothing is simply asinine.

I’m going to demand a refund of my gems spent on all my town clothes, regardless of whether they’re tonics or not.

Posted by: Darcness.2408

Darcness.2408

I know the feeling, I and others have the Fancy Winter outfit, and while I love the coat and skirt, I do not like the rest. On my mesmer, in combat, they would look amazing. ON the other hand, if I were to use them, I have to use that fugly hat that makes me bald or the shoulder shawl that clips through my hair? Ugh- No. NO thank you Arena. I will be requesting a refund cause there was no other character I wanted those clothes for.

Posted by: Blueskylightdragon.4876

Blueskylightdragon.4876

If Devs decide to make only some outfit available as armor while some exclude as armor, this will be one of the most stupid decision.

SO PLEASE MAKE KHAKI CARGO SHORTS AND ALL ITEMS AVAILABLE AS ARMOR IN THE FUTURE PLEASE! D’:

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

If Devs decide to make only some outfit available as armor while some exclude as armor, this will be one of the most stupid decision.

SO PLEASE MAKE KHAKI CARGO SHORTS AND ALL ITEMS AVAILABLE AS ARMOR IN THE FUTURE PLEASE! D’:

I can’t agree more, but sadly, they’ve already basically given us a big middle finger here. They’re taking items we paid for, breaking half of them, and then only giving us refunds on that half, despite the fact that the pieces we bought to go WITH that half are now useless to us as a result.

I don’t think anyone really “got their wish” here except for Anet, who gets to keep our money for products they have basically broken on us. I have yet to meet a single person who wanted town clothes as armor who would be ok with this implementation. We would have liked to use town clothes as armor, but not at the expense of having our town clothes pieces broken so they no longer work WITH EACH OTHER.

I’m going to demand a refund of my gems spent on all my town clothes, regardless of whether they’re tonics or not.

Same here, and I’ve actively encouraged everyone I run into who is upset by this to do the same. These items were sold to us with the express description and intent that they be used with other items in the same category. Now a substantial portion of those items are no longer compatible with each other, making ALL of them useless to many of us. It’s tantamount to a bait-and-switch.

(edited by Alfador.7649)

Posted by: Kallandra.2610

Kallandra.2610

I just want to keep town clothes the way they are now. I don’t want to have them as ‘armour skins’ I want them as normal everyday clothes. You don’t wear plate armour to go to bed do you?

I’m a roleplayer, and my private detective character relies on having a horrifically coloured shirt on when he meets clients! Now I won’t be able to colour it.

As for my asura, she loves to dress as an explorer when going to cities, and other relatively safe areas in Tyria. As I understand it, this outfit will not be possible in the new ‘Wardrobe’ system.

Attachments:

(edited by Kallandra.2610)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I just want to keep town clothes the way they are now. I don’t want to have them as ‘armour skins’ I want them as normal everyday clothes. You don’t wear plate armour to go to bed do you?

I’m a roleplayer, and my private detective character relies on having a horrifically coloured shirt on when he meets clients! Now I won’t be able to colour it.

As for my asura, she loves to dress as an explorer when going to cities, and other relatively safe areas in Tyria. As I understand it, this outfit will not be possible in the new ‘Wardrobe’ system.

I feel your pain. I feel the same way. Some of my characters enjoy having an “after work” life and wearing casual clothes instead of their adventuring gear.

Posted by: Titan Cronus.9216

Titan Cronus.9216

I feel your pain. I feel the same way. Some of my characters enjoy having an “after work” life and wearing casual clothes instead of their adventuring gear.

Exactly. The Town Clothes function, as it stands at the moment, is amazing. It does exactly what it says on the tin. A forth armour class that all characters can wear while not at work (in combat). Its like, non-cambat clothes for non-combat maps (not necessarily exclusive to non-combat maps ofc). Town clothes for when in towns, like how much more straight forward than that could it be?! Just leave it alone!

Crónus : Human male Eelementalist, Desolation.
17 level 80 characters, all races, all professions.

Posted by: Beet.5768

Beet.5768

Being a roleplayer, I do currently look at town clothes for consideration for outfits because of the convenience of having a customisable out-of-combat outfit ‘slot’ available to all my characters. If the changes to town clothes go in, it’ll remove any current and future town clothing from even consideration to purchase, as well as removing my engineer’s lounging outfit.

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

While I’m not disappointed yet, as I’ve yet to see what the rest of these tonic outfits will have, I find it entirely curious as to why specific pieces have been given full body tonics, full sets converted to outfits and the remainder get the armour skin treatment.

As I understand it; the outfit slot overrides armour entirely so why couldn’t all the town clothes use this outfit slot?

I have one of the shirts, the leather hoodie and the khaki shorts. The original colours were hideous so being able to dye them really sold it for me as did combining them, avoiding the Charr open-chest frills shirt and the belly dancer pants (and incidentally what happens to the old default town clothes too?).

Attachments:

Posted by: Jaric.5679

Jaric.5679

(snip)

(snip)

I agree with every single one of your points in your post, just shortened the quote. Your bold point at this stage is the only way I can see this being able to work. The wardrobe was a great idea, and very needed.

But the slap in the face to anyone who purchased town clothes to mix and match (you know, the majority of the people who purchased town clothes) for an individual look (Wasn’t that the point of being able to transmutate? To get a personalised look?) reeks of not even being discussed or thought of. It seems like something completely forgotten about, except it was a gaping wound of a problem. Now they’ve slapped a band-aid on it, hoping it will fix the issue. It obviously won’t.

I’m more than happy for the wardrobe. I’m delighted that all those skins I have in my bank that I cannot figure out to give to which character can now be given to them all if I want. And even though I have not purchased any town clothes, I am not sure this was worth the trade off for loss of town clothes customisation. I really don’t care about being able to wear town clothes in combat, to me it makes little sense. But that’s not what this discussion is about.

ArenaNet talks about ‘Collaborative Development’, but let’s be honest here – it isn’t. Anet thinks up an idea, implements it, goes ‘How did we do?’, and then tries to deal with the fallout. This is not the definition of ‘collaboration’. You are reading this, you have internet, I presume you can look up that definition on your own.

To be truly collaborative, ArenaNet should bring up these ideas before they announce them going live, or start work on them. While there has been a fair amount of vitriol spewed out by a number of people, there have been some very constructive posts and some excellent criticism as to why it is a bad idea, and even some suggestions on how to make it work better.

You have a large community here, Anet, who are invested in a great game. Your collaboration idea is great, but you need to actually do it. I know that development/programming/testing/etc of ideas can take a long time, but I for one would be happier knowing something that was worked on by devs and the community together was coming, rather than having it sprung on me with some inherently bad flaws. There are obviously some things that could never be agreed upon, or be capable of developing at all. In these cases it’s more than fair that you would be able to say ‘No’ to.

But please, give us a chance to give input! You have done so much good and right already. Make this a true collaborative effort, make this MMO a true community between devs and users.

Posted by: Sonia.7910

Sonia.7910

Seems ANET has decided they have already given us all the answers they’re willing to give. Which are more or less “That’s what it is, we’re not going to change our mind, take it or leave it”.

It is unnacceptable, but I guess as long as they don’t read this thread anymore (I guess they’re now focused in the new megaserver feedback threads) we won’t get anything.

As far as I’m concerned, though, I will try to keep this thread up to be seen and if they continue ignoring us, I’m willing to open new threads once the change is done, to request our tonics to be changed into outfits as a first step, and to request outfits to be changed into mix-and-match pieces as a second one.

I’m that stubborn.

Little lost clumsy thief in Tarnished Coast

Kallandra.2610

Would it be worth organising an in-game Town Clothes protest day, using both here and the GW2 RP forums? Just to show the devs just how many of us actually make use of Town Clothes?

Kallandra.2610

Another idea. Why not keep Town Clothes as Town Clothes, as they are now… but have the armour skin options as well ?

Sonia.7910

I like the Town Clothes day event!!!! But it should be soon since we only have one week left!

Kallandra.2610

I’ve put a post up on the GW2 Forum, and suggested Wednesday 9th April at 7pm GMT. I know it probably won’t make a difference, but I can’t think of anything else to do. I just feel like we’re not being listened to

http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/home/m/2737230/viewthread/12104598-town-clothes-protest-day/page/1

Sonia.7910

Awesome! Count me in!!!

EDIT: Where? In all the Major Cities? In Divinity’s Reach? Or whenever we happen to be at the moment?

(edited by Sonia.7910)

Titan Cronus.9216

Another idea. Why not keep Town Clothes as Town Clothes, as they are now… but have the armour skin options as well ?

Aye, Town clothes are perfect as they are. I really don’t see why they want to change them. Because some peoplel want to use them in combat? C’mon, don’t be fecking daft, they’re Town Clothes! The whole idea should have been laugh off like someone asking for Tequatl as a Ranger pet!

I like the Town Clothes day event!!!! But it should be soon since we only have one week left!

Sounds like an Ace idea. Maybe a protest and Town Clothes fashon show in one. Get some really good screen shots in case we lose them.
How about Lion’s Arch as it’s empty right now. Im on the Desolation server and I reckon that’s as good a server as any to hold it. Is ther another forum on here that would be better for advertising it though? : )

Edit Actually, why even a day, if we were to pick a server and a map, I wonder could we camp it till the update. Accross all servers and timezones, I reckon we proibly have enough people to always have a few online form now till the update. Maybe im being stupidly optimistic. : /

(edited by Titan Cronus.9216)

Posted by: ProsaicPudding.6437

ProsaicPudding.6437

I’ve put a post up on the GW2 Forum, and suggested Wednesday 9th April at 7pm GMT. I know it probably won’t make a difference, but I can’t think of anything else to do. I just feel like we’re not being listened to

http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/home/m/2737230/viewthread/12104598-town-clothes-protest-day/page/1

What server/ingame location?

I can feel that to a degree. They did say they wanted us to try out the new system. I’m willing to humor them on that… But what I’d like to know is if we try it, and it sucks as much as we expect, have they left themselves any room to go back on this? I mean, all we want is what we already have, right? Maybe they’l; have to polish up the old town clothes UI to fit in with the rest of the new wardrobe interface, but really, it doesn’t seem like so much to ask. They can even keep their one piece costumes. Just leave an extra slot for that, and see how many people really want to buy them (not many, I suspect).

That got really depressing really fast. Anyway, where is the event? I’d like to go.

Kallandra.2610

Awesome! Count me in!!!

EDIT: Where? In all the Major Cities? In Divinity’s Reach? Or whenever we happen to be at the moment?

I’m on Piken Square server, and was thinking the major cities, or Divinity’s Reach depending on what people want to do.

Edit I’m not sure if people would all want to guest on one server, or hold it across several.

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

They did say they wanted us to try out the new system. I’m willing to humor them on that… But what I’d like to know is if we try it, and it sucks as much as we expect, have they left themselves any room to go back on this?

I am willing to test this and see how it works. If it is a fail, then I would like to see them put up a merchant or something that allows us to sell the non-working town clothes back for gems.

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

Still hoping they keep our system as is or drastically change their vision of what they’re doing to town clothing. They don’t ever have to add new town clothes and I’d still be happy. They can just start making -new- stuff for the wardrobe.

It’s sad that this news has been consuming me for weeks. I haven’t even wanted to log on. And a town clothing get together would make me too sad… Sadder than a pile of dead quaggans.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

If town clothes can now be utilized in combat, what the heck is the point of the tonics and forcing former town clothes and outfits to be “all or nothing”?!?!?!?

Can’t we just get a full Costume tab that includes all the body part slots: Helm, Chest, Hands, Feet, Legs? If there are some parts of special outfits that can’t be split, like the top/bottom of a Wintersday gown, then just weld those two pieces into a single item that takes up both the chest and leg slots. Only weld pieces where absolutely necessary and give players the ability to mix and match pieces just like with ordinary armor.

It’s not brain surgery.

The only reason they aren’t offering a completely free form outfit tab where any piece of armor or piece of outfit can substitute for the pieces with stats is because they don’t want to lose Transmutation Stone revenue. Why not just make it so Transmutation Stones convert an item from a stat based item to a purely cosmetic one, which can then be used a multi-slot Costume tab? You lose potential revenue from players not having to buy transmutation stones to preserve a look every time they acquire pieces with better stats, but lets be honest, that system has probably limited the sale of gem Store armors more than anything. It may be close to a wash and players would feel less nickle and dimed by a system that punishes them for finding armor with better stats once they’ve already transmuted their desired look onto their armor.

It also avoids this convoluted and dissatisfying “solution” where purely cosmetic items can’t be mix/matched in the Costume tab.

(edited by Fiontar.4695)

Hamfast.8719

I would love to participate in a gathering. Unfortunately, that is 2 in the afternoon on a work day for me (EST). And 11 in the morning PST (GW2 server) time. And of course if you are in GMT, you would have to be online at about 3 AM to hit the PST servers in their evening Prime-Time hours.

And might I suggest the traditional RP servers? More support there. People who don’t read the forums could spot us and join in.

Everyone needs to take screen caps of the gathering and post them here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Share-your-Mix-n-Match-TOWN-CLOTHES

Posted by: Peacenote.1698

Peacenote.1698

Obligatory disclaimers:

• I have never purchased town clothes, since they weren’t wearable in combat and I found the switching tiresome
  • Overall, I am happy and excited about the new wardrobe system and think it is a step in the right direction

While I have yet to purchase town clothes, I can say that the idea of using town clothes in combat makes all of the novelty items much more appealing to me. I would have gone out and bought many of them immediately had I not read about how most of them are being turned into tonics or outfits. I feel the pain of everyone who has purchased town clothes. I also think that, for a game that has emphasized a character’s unique look over gear from the beginning, the decision to limit the mix and match option seems extremely short-sighted, from a profit standpoint. I have also felt, all along, that the gem store model of GW2 is perfectly suited for cosmetic changes. Not only am I willing to pay for them personally, but I think keeping gem store purchases luxury, nice-to-have items vs. “pay-to-win” items are the perfect way to have a successful micro-transaction game. I am willing to buy items to support GW2 as long as the items make sense. I want GW2 to make money — I like this game, and it is to the community’s benefit that it is successful.

So I have some suggestions.

1. Roll with the proposed changes for now, with a promise to implement the following changes in the future.
  2. All town clothes outfits and tonics will be slowly added as armor skins. Prioritize by purchase sales – most purchased outfits should be converted first. Anyone who previously purchased these outfits will get these skins free of charge, and they can keep any endless tonics received in the April patch. Many people, myself included, will happily pay for these sets of skins if they can be used in combat, so there is still a large profit to be had here. I don’t even care if you pull all town clothes from the gem store before you announce this; at least it will be more fair to folks that have already purchased the items.
  3. Implement outfit templates. These templates can be customized with armor skins and dyes, and they can be applied at no charge, like the outfit idea, “covering” your armor without changing your stats. Outfit templates can be edited at any time with any known skins and dyes, since the biggest use case for these will be switching often between looks. People will buy them, so don’t penalize them for wanting to adjust one dye shade or the boots, etc.
  4. Charge a high amount of gems for each outfit template. Enough so that it costs significantly more than using transmutation charges to apply skins. This way, people who used town clothes for role playing will not have to transmute back and forth or use up inventory, but can still mix and match and dye. More profits here as people like me will buy them since they can now be used in combat. To maximize profits, make them soul-bound vs. account bound.
  5. All current players will receive one free outfit template, as “compensation” for the loss of town clothes, and to allow us to use the “free” skins we might have been saving like dragon wings, etc.
  6. Anyone who has purchased at least one full set of town clothes will receive one additional free outfit template.
  7. For folks who have purchased lots and lots of town clothes, grant an additional outfit template for, say, each three outfits purchased or something like that. Do enough analysis on sales for this to be fair compensation.
  8. Going forward, ALL styles in the gem store will be armor skins that can be transmuted or added to an outfit template.
  9. Allow transmutation charges to be acquired through game play, but, besides historical rewards, outfit templates will be via gem purchase only.

There we go. A way for ArenaNet to still profit from cosmetic looks while allowing folks who have invested in the game to keep what they paid for. More flexible, while giving the community a choice to apply different outfits vs. running with one outfit by transmuting.

Personally, the best outfit system I’ve experienced is the one in DCUO. However I know that freely applying any discovered skin at any time wouldn’t work with GW2’s business model, and I’m OK with that. I’m willing to pay extra for convenient, cosmetic benefits in order to continue to get “free” content updates.

Posted by: Risa Aerulight.3914

Risa Aerulight.3914

Those are really good suggestions Peacenote.

The protest event sounds splendid, I’ll be there, with friends who share our concerns.

I finally finished compiling an image of all my characters in their current town clothes arrangements. I am one miserable girl now because of the seemingly impending doom to all these combinations and color options ;_; why must you make me cry such tears Anet?

Attachments:

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Aye, Town clothes are perfect as they are. I really don’t see why they want to change them. Because some peoplel want to use them in combat? C’mon, don’t be fecking daft, they’re Town Clothes! The whole idea should have been laugh off like someone asking for Tequatl as a Ranger pet!

Sounds like an Ace idea. Maybe a protest and Town Clothes fashon show in one. Get some really good screen shots in case we lose them.
How about Lion’s Arch as it’s empty right now. Im on the Desolation server and I reckon that’s as good a server as any to hold it. Is ther another forum on here that would be better for advertising it though? : )

Edit Actually, why even a day, if we were to pick a server and a map, I wonder could we camp it till the update. Accross all servers and timezones, I reckon we proibly have enough people to always have a few online form now till the update. Maybe im being stupidly optimistic. : /

Town clothes aren’t perfect as they are. They suck as they are. I’d never spend a single gem on town clothes as they are.

To me, if I want to wear a baseball cap into battle, I should have the option to do so. That the clothes disappear when I fight, that’s far too annoying for me. I can have a look here, but if I step four steps away I lose the look?

To me town clothes, as they exist now, are a complete waste of gems. I did buy a couple of outfits early on, before I understood the limitations, but I would buy another ever if they kept the same system.

I’d rather have costumes like Guild Wars 1 did that I could wear all the time if I wanted to.

Titan Cronus.9216

To me, if I want to wear a baseball cap into battle, I should have the option to do so. That the clothes disappear when I fight, that’s far too annoying for me. I can have a look here, but if I step four steps away I lose the look?

It’s nothing to do with taking four steps this way or that, it simply if you enter combat or take damage.
If you want to wear a baseball cap to work, that’s fine but depending on you job, you are going to get a fired, injured or even killed (because you should have been wearing a helmet instead of your favourit baseball hat). How hard a concept is it to grasp, not all clothes are appropriate for wearing to work, or in this game, in combat. If ppl don’t understand that, then they’re being stubborn and if they do but still want to wear them in combat, then they’re being unreasonable. About as unreasonable as me demading Tequatl as a Ranger Pet!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

One of the biggest questions in the room about this is will they at long last do something about hobosacks and legendaries for engineers?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Combination NC.9813

Combination NC.9813

Town clothes are perfect as they are as town clothes; perfect to wear in a town, a non-combat area. It is fine to want to be able to use them as armour skins, but for what they have so far been intended as (something you wear in towns) they have been perfect.

I am quite frankly disgusted by how Anet has been treating us in this. No answers/deliberately misreading questions to answer to something completely different, no refunds for items we will no longer be able to use for what we bought them as, keeping affected items in the gem store without noting that the use will change soon, etc.

I usually tell my friends about the game and encourage them to try it out whenever there are free trials or price cuts, but this time I have not done so, because I do not feel like I can recommend a game managed by a company that treats their customers this way.

Knights of the Round Vegetable [SASS], Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

It’s nothing to do with taking four steps this way or that, it simply if you enter combat or take damage.
If you want to wear a baseball cap to work, that’s fine but depending on you job, you are going to get a fired, injured or even killed (because you should have been wearing a helmet instead of your favourit baseball hat). How hard a concept is it to grasp, not all clothes are appropriate for wearing to work, or in this game, in combat. If ppl don’t understand that, then they’re being stubborn and if they do but still want to wear them in combat, then they’re being unreasonable. About as unreasonable as me demading Tequatl as a Ranger Pet!

It’s not a real hard concept to grasp. I’m sure my female elementalist in her skimpy bikini silk armor is far more protected than any baseball cap an ever be.

In a game with cloth “armor”, why even try to argue realism?

Kallandra.2610

I’ve had to change the day of the Piken Square protest to Friday 11th April, due to it clashing with a big RP event. It’ll still be at 7pm GMT in the garden at the centre of Divinity’s Reach.

I want to keep it a peaceful event, with people wearing their best mix and match town clothes outfits, so we can take screenshots. Maybe even do some dancing.

I doubt it will make any difference to ArenaNet’s plans for the clothes, but at least we’ll hopefully get some good screenshots and memories of what our characters used to look like, and have some fun doing it.

Sonia.7910

It’s not a real hard concept to grasp. I’m sure my female elementalist in her skimpy bikini silk armor is far more protected than any baseball cap an ever be.

It may make sense compared to light armor and even some medium ones, but it makes no sense at all compared to heavy one.

Anyway what most of us are complaining here is not the fact that they become wearable in combat (I personally have no special interest in it but I can understand people wanting it, and it is true that some look more protective than those silly female light “armors” which are probably more effective as distraction than as protection), but the fact that some of them are going to become tonics, thus, still not wearable in combat and besides, not dieable, nor mixable nor anything. That is, they will be useless for that portion of players who wants town clothes to be used in combat, and useless for the ones who used them for roleplaying or just because we thought having “non armor” options was a good and realistic idea.

I still don’t understand how can’t they just be treated as a fourth armor weight, wearable by all classes and with no stats at all. If you want to wear them in combat is ok, but they will grant no protection, as they’re town clothes after all. But since it seems (for what they suggest, since there has been no clear answer to it) there are too many technical difficulties for it…

… at least they would turn ALL of them into outfits, and ignore those stupid tonics nobody is going to use!

Posted by: Julischka Bean.7491

Julischka Bean.7491

I am late to the party, but I want to add my voice to those upset about the Town Clothes changes. I am utterly, utterly thrilled about being able to wear glasses into battle, but, but, but, I want to be able to wear my shorts and hoodies into battle too

Tonics…hmmm…I will have to wait for the patch and see what occurs with that . If it is stupid, and looks ugly on my characters I will be in line with everyone else with my grubby paws out for a refund…and…I have many characters for whom I bought Town Clothes.

But, I am squeeing about turning my glasses into armor

Posted by: Risa Aerulight.3914

Risa Aerulight.3914

I’ve had to change the day of the Piken Square protest to Friday 11th April, due to it clashing with a big RP event. It’ll still be at 7pm in the garden at the centre of Divinity’s Reach.

I want to keep it a peaceful event, with people wearing their best mix and match town clothes outfits, so we can take screenshots. Maybe even do some dancing.

I doubt it will make any difference to ArenaNet’s plans for the clothes, but at least we’ll hopefully get some good screenshots and memories of what our characters used to look like, and have some fun doing it.

Still GMT? That would be 1pm CST for me if I am doing the math right. I can make that time work =)

Titan Cronus.9216

Aye, I get what your saying. : )

Some of the armour for the spell caster professions seem woefully lacking but there are several things that are generally assumed in games of this type (games based on D&D games). The spell casters are generally back line fighters in parties and the idea is that because they are the least likely party members to be involved in melee combat, heavier armour is less important. Their form of attacking is casting spells and that often requires them to perform fast elaborate gestures with their arms and so light armour is very practical. Also, almost all D&D above avarage armour is magically imbued with protective qualities and its taken that it is the same with games like this.

The thing is, GW2 made the distinction between “armour” and “clothes” way back at day one. Actually, one of its selling points before release was its unique town clothes feature. I remember reading all about monthes (maybe even years) before we even got to play the beta. Now they plan on removing them, or merging them. Either way, we will not have what we payed for.

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

The Feature Pack Q&A livestream just finished up. Apparently it was meant to answer people’s questions who don’t go on the forums, so anyone on the forums wouldn’t have necessarily gleaned any new information from it. Also, they weren’t answering questions from chat, just questions they’d pre-selected… from the forums? (ANet logic, everyone.) The most significant thing is:

They’ll be giving refunds for Outfitized Town Clothes “on a case-by-case basis” if you send in a ticket.

In other words… rather than fix the problem itself, they’re going to go over every single ticket one by one. That’s either going to cost them a lot of money paying extra customer support people or paying their existing customer support folks overtime, or it’s going to make getting any ticket reviewed very slow as they suddenly have all those tickets to deal with. And yet they still see this as a better alternative to putting in the time to make seams for having separate pieces of Outfit.

I did, however, manage to get Danicia to confirm, “We have been pulling together concerns along with general questions.” So however many grains of salt you take that with, I’m pretty sure that’s the first actual act of a Dev saying that they understand we have concerns that need addressing, not just questions that need answering, since this whole mess began. I am very grateful to have gotten that answer at all, but still feel like I shouldn’t be in a position where I have to ask specifically for confirmation that they realize we’ve got problems and not just questions.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

will there be individual mix and match pieces in future releases? Or will they all be complete sets?

We will continue to release mix and match armor skin pieces

Plz add above the waist only shirts for medium/all armor like the town clothes shirts/vest/hoodies/tshirts, or like sylvari starter racial. :o

I deeply crave a normal shirt.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

They’ll be giving refunds for Outfitized Town Clothes “on a case-by-case basis” if you send in a ticket.

In other words… rather than fix the problem itself, they’re going to go over every single ticket one by one. That’s either going to cost them a lot of money paying extra customer support people or paying their existing customer support folks overtime, or it’s going to make getting any ticket reviewed very slow as they suddenly have all those tickets to deal with. And yet they still see this as a better alternative to putting in the time to make seams for having separate pieces of Outfit.

What it also does, perhaps most importantly, is make getting a refund a pain in the rear end. The more of a problem you make it for someone to file a complaint, or get a refund, the less likely they are to do it. This is the sort of thing that makes service providers able to, for example, incrementally raise their monthly prices on providing said service. You want to complain, and you know if you call you might be able to make a deal.. but you also know a call is going to require you to sit on the phone for who knows how long speaking with someone who is being paid to obfuscate and delay. So, even though you know you could call and probably should call, you don’t just to avoid the hassle.