Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

But on April 1st, you don’t get to choose if pranks are played on you or not

Or you just stay home and disconnect.

Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: josephleahy.2943

josephleahy.2943

i and im sure many other people missed out on this event because of work. i got home to find that it ended. it ran in EU time so basically any Americans that work lost out on the fun. i cant even waste money to see it. sigh.

~One mans magic is another mans engineering.
RNG engineer~

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Who’s making fun of dead children? Where do you people come from?

Ascalon. How about you?

Hoelbrak, born and bred.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

There might be a gem store item coming out that lets you return to it like the bobblehead one, so keep an eye out of it.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

i and im sure many other people missed out on this event because of work. i got home to find that it ended. it ran in EU time so basically any Americans that work lost out on the fun. i cant even waste money to see it. sigh.

It didn’t run on EU time. It started 30 minutes before reset last night and ended 30 minutes ago.

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

You had a 24 hour window to log in and experience the april fools event.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

As many complaints as everyone has against Anet, if the majority of the player community in fact not like April Fools jokes they would have stopped back in GW1. The same exact comments were made last year saying that bobbleheads were annoying (boohooooo) also asking to toggle on or off. If they cared in the slightest about the complainer’s opinions on April Fools, a prank that lasts only 24 hours, they would have done something about it beforehand. There is nothing you can’t do now in game as you could before.

Once again, your second comment of ‘making everyone happy’ is NEVER going to be possible. Either you are new to the forums or you are ignorant. People will always find things to complain about here. Putting in a toggle would still have people complaining.

You make a fair point, but an anecdote isn’t evidence, nor does it prove anything about a “vast minority”. So maybe we could stop with the hyperbole.

I can’t understand why anyone is so vehemently opposed to a toggle for these pranks. You win, I win, everyone wins. Will people still complain? Yeah, sure. Some of those complaints will be valid, others will be bogus. But just take a look at the number of people saying the exact same thing: “Please let me turn it off.” Not “Get rid of it”, but “give me a switch”.

It’s a reasonable request, which makes those railing against it unreasonable.

I’m not against not having the toggle, and i’m not for it either. The point is it’s not a big deal. They even ended it 30 minutes early and people are so traumatized by it. If they do implement it great, but if not it’s okay too. Just enjoy the game.

Posted by: PirateSpice.8735

PirateSpice.8735

I’m not against not having the toggle, and i’m not for it either. The point is it’s not a big deal. They even ended it 30 minutes early and people are so traumatized by it. If they do implement it great, but if not it’s okay too. Just enjoy the game.

I’m trying to enjoy it, I really am. That’s the point that many of us have been trying to make. This prank interfered with our ability to enjoy the game. I’m a full-time student. So, like many, I have limited time to play. I gave it a shot several times since the prank began, and I just wasn’t having fun after the first minute or two.

I’ve done my best to stay level-headed and civil through this. I think you have, too (which I do appreciate). I just hope it goes to show people (and maybe ArenaNet?) that there are rational people that want and deserve to be able to opt out of this in the future.

Posted by: josephleahy.2943

josephleahy.2943

work 16 hours and tell me i have a 24 hour window… and yes its 12-12 EU time in america it ended at 8pm.

~One mans magic is another mans engineering.
RNG engineer~

RoseofGilead.8907

work 16 hours and tell me i have a 24 hour window… and yes its 12-12 EU time in america it ended at 8pm.

The peak gameplay time in the US is the late afternoon into the late evening/early morning. The event started at 30 minutes before reset last night and then ended 30 minutes before reset tonight. It does suck that you weren’t able to participate, but it’s not like they’re catering only to EU players here.

Posted by: interloper.6892

interloper.6892

it probably ended early when Anet realized how insensitive it was.

like having “airplane day” on 11 September…

d’oh

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

it probably ended early when Anet realized how insensitive it was.

like having “airplane day” on 11 September…

d’oh

It lasted 24 hours, like all the previous April fools events. From 30 minutes before reset to 30 minutes before reset.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

No more airplanes? I was fortunate enough to be online yesterday when they started up, and was looking forward to an evening of it today. Even as I speak, there’s still 7 hours of April 1st remaining PST.

Don’t let the negative Nancy’s get to you, ANet. You usually have a neat April Fool’s trick.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

RoseofGilead.8907

It’s a 24 hour event, and the 24 hours ended. I would have loved more of it, but oh well.

Posted by: shockelite.1602

shockelite.1602

Dang, I missed it.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Here’s why you shouldn’t expect a toggle off option…when someone pranks you on April Fool’s Day do you get the option to opt out of it? No, so why should anyone expect to get the option to opt-out of A.nets April Fool’s Day joke on all of the players?

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Here’s why you shouldn’t expect a toggle off option…when someone pranks you on April Fool’s Day do you get the option to opt out of it? No, so why should anyone expect to get the option to opt-out of A.nets April Fool’s Day joke on all of the players?

^ winner winner chicken dinner!

Hamfast.8719

It’s a 24 hour event, and the 24 hours ended. I would have loved more of it, but oh well.

It isn’t a 24 hour event. It is an April 1st event.

When it began for me, it was still March 31st. Someone pointed out to me that it was April 1st somewhere.

Well I am simply pointing out that it is still April 1st somewhere… including the Pacific Coast where the game is based.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I’m looking forward to the gem store item to recreate the effect.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

It isn’t a 24 hour event. It is an April 1st event.

When it began for me, it was still March 31st. Someone pointed out to me that it was April 1st somewhere.

Well I am simply pointing out that it is still April 1st somewhere… including the Pacific Coast where the game is based.

All game updates run off of server time which is UTC

Posted by: Grok.9725

Grok.9725

This is the beta bug that inspired the joke. Maybe this will soothe the wounds of those mortally wounded souls that had to suffer through this horrible event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CunHb3TJsg

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

You do get the option to sock them in the nose if they persist with it for 24 hours though, and the people who wanted the option paid for the game an an entertainment resource. Not as a point of aggravation.

I liked the mode because it made for a nice break from the normal but after a few hours I had to stop playing because it was just too much. No big deal to me because I have several other games I play but I can understand why so many were irked about losing their game time while the fanboys had a field day on them in forums every time one complained.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

I want a tonic for this! I will pay for it!

LOVED IT!

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

finally gone. hate that effect.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

You do get the option to sock them in the nose if they persist with it for 24 hours though, and the people who wanted the option paid for the game an an entertainment resource. Not as a point of aggravation.

I liked the mode because it made for a nice break from the normal but after a few hours I had to stop playing because it was just too much. No big deal to me because I have several other games I play but I can understand why so many were irked about losing their game time while the fanboys had a field day on them in forums every time one complained.

An individual gets one chance to play a joke on you and there are some jokes that last 24 hours. In the case of this game and many others, the devs one chance lasts 24 hours… GW2 resets every day at 5 pm PDT/4pm PST…so no, no one gets to opt out of the joke. Your option is to not play it for those 24 hours you’re being pranked.

However, if they do choose to give an Opt-out button to everyone, I believe it should auto-log you out of the game and display a message stating the April Fool’s Day joke will end at the next days game reset, enjoy your night away from GW2.

(edited by Zaklex.6308)

Posted by: UlanX.2143

UlanX.2143

Well seems everyone is having their two cents worth on this one so here is my view:

I actually find the people responding so negatively to the appearance of their hero playing aeroplanes like an imaginative little child and twisting it into a comparable event to recent lost of lives to be a disgusting devaluation of the tragedy that has happened.

The families are no doubt going through immense suffering, confusion and a deep sense of loss. They deserve genuine empathy that reflects this. What you are doing by raging about a very innocent in game event is to detract and cheapen what has actually taken place.

If you had a family member killed by a drunk driver would you go to Disney’s website and rage about cartoon cars being insensitive or would you focus on advocating for stricter blood alcohol levels? What is relevant and what actually honours those who have been lost?

If you genuinely care about what has happened regarding the plane crashes, go and do something productive in the real world. Don’t manipulate an unrelated situation to make yourself feel as if you are actually standing up against some great injustice so you can feel warm and fuzzy for what? Absolutely nothing beyond making yourself look like a self absorbed fool.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I always wanted to be a plane. But you took that from me, Arenanet. WHY!!!!!!!!

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Really hoping this gets a gem store treatment. It was awesome.

^_^

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: FunnyCide.5426

FunnyCide.5426

I highly enjoyed the airplane effect as well. I would also be willing to buy a tonic that let my character do that whenever I wanted. Thank you Anet for the good chuckle.

Posted by: Tylak.9163

Tylak.9163

The nightmare is over!

ps: A tonic/item is a great idea, cause it’s optional.

Hamfast.8719

All game updates run off of server time which is UTC

All I know is that last year April Fools Day was on April 1st for me all day. It has always been that way for me all the way through GW1. This year it was on March 31st, and was all over before I could log in on the 1st. I’m glad I had what time I did, but was looking forward to an evening of more daring feats of Aviation.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Dont worry, we had bobblehead last april fools, and we soon got he bobblehead lab in the gemstore; so I assume we will get a similar item in teh gem store for the plane thing.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Seriously? You need to let us opt out of the really, really stupid stuff.
Nothing more needs saying than how disappointed we are.

While we’re at it, I find the talking robot backpack incredibly stupid and annoying and I think I should have a special option to mute it and only it whenever I want.

While we’re at it, Wow!, You actually responded to a let us opt out comment?
SO GLAD I’m not that bored! Disappointment now has pity added to it.

Er… Was that supposed to be a dig? I was in Weather and the Atmosphere at my university. Required elective. You have no idea how bored I was.

My point in the previous post was made via sarcasm, but I think the point itself is solid: just because someone thinks some type of content is “stupid” doesn’t mean the whole game should change because of it.

But to be clear, I really do find those talking robot backpacks annoying.

My apologies. I totally misinterpreted your response.
I agree the whole game doesn’t have to, and shouldn’t change.
The ability to opt out would just be a very nice addition
and possibly easier/cheaper than dealing with hundreds? of posts…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It’ll be extra awesome if the item gives the option to use the sepia/film scratch effect (along with the colorized low-post-processing that still has the scratches) without the arms being stuck. So many screen shots that wouldn’t need creative cropping to turn into portraits!

Posted by: Arahzor.1832

Arahzor.1832

Was good april fools day. In short it was just about massive QQ about people being offended, but also great joy for being an airplane.

Arahor Aure [DVDF]

(edited by Arahzor.1832)

Posted by: KrAzY.7285

KrAzY.7285

After a long hard day at work, I finally got home for GUILD WARS!!! I loaded it up and I was shocked. I thought my game was glitched. I WAS PANICKING. Then I found out it was April Fool’s. I was FURIOUS!!!! I was so upset that Arenanet would screw up my game like that. I’ve invested time and $ into this game and the April Fool’s joke had me seriously considering deleting the game. I was livid. Are there really any gamers ( over 12 years old) that enjoy that nonsense? That was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen a developer do to their game. I couldn’t even bring myself to play for 5 minutes. Wasted evening after such a hard day. THANKS (sarcasm) ARENANET FOR RUINING MY EVENING AND CAUSING MY BLOOD TO BOIL. I vote for whoever’s idea that was to be FIRED!!!!!

Posted by: Adelas.6598

Adelas.6598

I was sick last night when it started. I was lucky enough to have logged in for five minutes this morning, and show my kids, and then figured I’d log in tonight after they went to bed because it would last until midnight game time, but no

well, five minutes was good for a chuckle, anyway. :/

RoseofGilead.8907

After a long hard day at work, I finally got home for GUILD WARS!!! I loaded it up and I was shocked. I thought my game was glitched. I WAS PANICKING. Then I found out it was April Fool’s. I was FURIOUS!!!! I was so upset that Arenanet would screw up my game like that. I’ve invested time and $ into this game and the April Fool’s joke had me seriously considering deleting the game. I was livid. Are there really any gamers ( over 12 years old) that enjoy that nonsense? That was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen a developer do to their game. I couldn’t even bring myself to play for 5 minutes. Wasted evening after such a hard day. THANKS (sarcasm) ARENANET FOR RUINING MY EVENING AND CAUSING MY BLOOD TO BOIL. I vote for whoever’s idea that was to be FIRED!!!!!

Your chosen account name is appropriate.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Your chosen account name is appropriate.

I hope Krazy is joking.

Posted by: chaosdurza.3291

chaosdurza.3291

I am so glad that it is finally gone. If they had simply added a way to disable the feature, a lot of the complaining would’ve never happened. That being said, they really should make it into a gem store item similar to the bobble head thing. So many people really enjoyed this event, it wouldn’t make sense to not do it.

Posted by: ivorycruncher.3192

ivorycruncher.3192

Ditto on gone too soon. I wasn’t playing last night (figured the event would be today), got up this morning, saw the airplane mode thing, but had to work late, and by the time I got home from work and logged on, it was gone. I can’t remember for sure, but could’ve sworn April Fools events in GW1 lasting a lot longer. From what I recall, special events in GW1 typically started/ended at midnight Pacific time, the home time zone for ArenaNet. In fact, I just logged into GW1 this very minute and I see that the special Annihilator quests are still active.

So what’s the deal, ArenaNet? Did you get so much negative feedback on airplane mode that you didn’t let it run for the entirety of April 1st in all time zones? Some people have to work for a living, but would still like to enjoy these events. Seriously, please turn it back on for another day, or at least add the option to enable it on a per-account basis so the haters will be happy.

Posted by: sparc.3649

sparc.3649

Yea I’m sad too, I got to see it / log in when it first hit 00:00 UTC April 1, 2015 – but I was hoping to catch it again today, but by the time I got home there was another update and it was gone :’(

/—————————————\
© sparc.3649 ~ LPC ~ Anvil Rock
\—————————————/

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

Did you get so much negative feedback on airplane mode that you didn’t let it run for the entirety of April 1st in all time zones?

It had been active for more than a day over in the UK.
Not sure what Time zone you are in, or country.

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

Posted by: ivorycruncher.3192

ivorycruncher.3192

Did you get so much negative feedback on airplane mode that you didn’t let it run for the entirety of April 1st in all time zones?

I’m in the USA, Central time zone. Had to work late, didn’t log on until roughly an hour ago. I expected it to last through this evening. Judging by the time this thread was started, even if I had gotten off work on time, it would have been too late.

Posted by: Panites.6798

Panites.6798

Best event so far, Good job Anet.
It was made even better by the people complaining.
Because it affects their life and they cannot live with it, or didn’t know how to turn off sound and post processing.

Posted by: sparc.3649

sparc.3649

I’m in the USA, Central time zone. Had to work late, didn’t log on until roughly an hour ago. I expected it to last through this evening. Judging by the time this thread was started, even if I had gotten off work on time, it would have been too late.

Yea I’m CDT too, and I would guess this was over by 19:00 (7pm) our time… that would have been (almost) exactly 24 hours…

/—————————————\
© sparc.3649 ~ LPC ~ Anvil Rock
\—————————————/

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

Thank you ArenaNet this year April’s Fools Day prank. I really enjoy to be like kid again and played this airplane. Voices were so awesome, it was like my sister’s son who is playing airplane by himself. Now I had chanse to play that airplane too, without having weird faces from my neighbours

I just want to have one request. I will attach it with picture in here.

Attachments:

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

To those who think no apology is necessary, you are simply wrong. This type of black humor has no place here. The dev’s made a mistake and they need to acknowledge it. Bobble heads, etc., while annoying did not allow comparisons to a mass murder. Certainly some took no offense, but for those who did the development team needs to apologize in some manner.

Jesus christ you are a special case.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

Thank you ArenaNet for this year’s April’s Fools Day prank. It was best one, even bit better than last year Bobbleheads. It really made me feel kid again.

That’s why I want to post one humble request.

Attachments:

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I liked it for about 10 mins, after that I just wanted to toggle it off, but of course I couldn’t, so I just didn’t play until it was over.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth