Hall of Monuments Update?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VaegaVic.6394

VaegaVic.6394

I think the general consensus is,

“Yes, we understand these things take time and yes we’re happy to wait. BUT. The lack of communication throughout this has been annoying and fuel these fires far more than it needed to”

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

“Yes, we understand these things take time and yes we’re happy to wait. BUT. The lack of communication throughout this has been annoying and fuel these fires far more than it needed to”

The main issue is that people ignore the communication that actually happens.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

When the communications are either vague, stand in contradiction to things we’ve assumed up until now, or sound as if they are addressing the wrong part of the issue, then its not helping the community understand…. it simply raises more questions in addition to unanswered initial one.

Its like saying “Trust us, we got this” when they’ve shown up until now that they can’t be trusted to even follow through on an idea before changing to something else. Thats a major gripe to LS 1, which left tons of abandoned content lingering in the world. And the parts we actually did like, we can’t go back and reexperience.

Then theres SAB, which they only recently addressed saying fixing it is bigger then they thought, despite saying they’ve planned to fix it for over a year. A let us not forget Polymock, which was in development even before Day 1 of the game.

Posted by: Jinath.1298

Jinath.1298

Do you mean like the “We’re close, seriously!” comment over a month back?

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

I’ll go ahead and comment on this thread, as it seems to be the most recent of the HOM ones.

I’ll try to explain this without getting too technical, and some parts are probably going to have to be left out.

The bug that caused players to unlock achievements/skins/titles and achievement points was caused when the GW1 server that stores the HOM status talks to the GW2 server that controls new character creation. Basically it was sending bad data to the GW2 server, and unlocking achievements that should not have been unlocked.

This means that there were multiple problem points that need to be cleaned up. The first thing to be cleaned up was the bug that caused this to happen, and that was fixed within a few hours. However, the removal of the rewards is an entirely different problem.

We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed. Unfortunately, this came at a time where our resources are tapped to the max, so it’s taking longer than we would like to fix this.

Thankfully (lol), when the HOM rewards bug was happening, the actual HOM was not accessible, and those players were not able to claim any other HOM entitlements…so the damage was somewhat limited.

We are working on this, I assure you, and we will remove the rewards from players that should not have received them. I do not have a timeframe, as modifying accounts at this type of level is not something we would ever take lightly, and as long as we keep a majority of the entitlements locked there is less for us to clean up.

I really don’t care if some random person get HoM rewards tbh. They aren’t that big of a deal… You are basicly locking the content for everyone, just because some people got rewards they don’t “deserve”? Who cares, HoM skins are neither prestigious or rare to see in the game… Just reopen it, if it won’t happen again, just call the people that got it lucky and move on. But don’t lock it. If there is anything that is not worth putting rescources in it’s removing these.

Players can’t rage about it cause there is no way to know it that person actually had GW1 HoM rewards or not. Just flip it back on and don’t try to fix something that doesn’t need fixing…

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Posted by: DPDude.7205

DPDude.7205

I’ve just created a ranger, possibly my most hated class of all, and i thought ‘hey, this would be a great character to go to the HoM with, and charm all those lovely pets I unlocked by playing Guild Wars and all of it’s expansions so long ago’.

I arrive at the HoM, and what do i see? 4 ghosts and 2 trolly Xunlai chests. None of the pets are there.

How about you enable the HoM again, people? It’s been 4 months since you disabled it. Surely fixing that GWAMM bug shouldn’t take you that long.

May the Foefire take you!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

There are several other threads about this already. And yes, apparently fixing it DOES take this long. Just keep on waiting like the rest of us.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Yes it is taking that long due to it being extremely complicated. THey cant just “turn it on”, if that was viable, it would have been done. We all want it back up and running, them included.

DPDude.7205

There are several other threads about this already. And yes, apparently fixing it DOES take this long. Just keep on waiting like the rest of us.

No, it does NOT take this long. They probably aren’t even working on it. All they’re doing is trying to figure out why their ‘expansion scam’ isn’t selling as well as the pet rock did.

RoseofGilead.8907

No, it does NOT take this long. They probably aren’t even working on it. All they’re doing is trying to figure out why their ‘expansion scam’ isn’t selling as well as the pet rock did.

Oh, so you’re familiar with their set up and the fix they’re having to create from scratch to undo the error the bug created? Wow, if only they had you working for them! Surely, if you worked for them, the issue would have been fixed three months ago.

Sarcasm off now: They’ve made several updates on the issue already saying that they have it being worked on, and it’s still being tested to make sure it fully works properly. If that’s not good enough for you, that’s fine. Just don’t try to act like you know how long a fix should take.

DPDude.7205

Oh, so you’re familiar with their set up and the fix they’re having to create from scratch to undo the error the bug created? Wow, if only they had you working for them! Surely, if you worked for them, the issue would have been fixed three months ago.

Sarcasm off now: They’ve made several updates on the issue already saying that they have it being worked on, and it’s still being tested to make sure it fully works properly. If that’s not good enough for you, that’s fine. Just don’t try to act like you know how long a fix should take.

This is exciting. I didn’t expect to get an Arenanet white knight responder right off the bat. Interesting.

It wouldn’t matter if i worked for them or not. It’s upper management that decides what gets priority. If you had worked for ANY big company, you would know this. And all upper management cares about right now is trying to make as much cash off of the expansion as possible to limit their losses. Which, with the current price scheme, will be pretty difficult.

It’s absolute BS that they turn off game features for this long without giving evidence of what they’re doing. I don’t trust ‘community managers’, because they’ll ALWAYS say what you want to hear. They’ll say ‘Yeah, we’re working on that, guise, I pwomise. It’s just taking longer than expected. Sowwy!‘, and the sheeples have been calmed. It’s your kind of attitude that lets them get away with this nonsense to begin with.

Randulf.7614

Except many of the posts in the bug subforum have come from the main QA/bug team actually fixing it and explaining the issue.

Your anger is not really necessary. Its a complicated code they are working with and a complex problem for them to solve. They jumped on when they dont take time to fix a bug and jumped on when they they do take the right amount of time.

It will be opened when they have resolved the issue. There isnt really any more on the matter

RoseofGilead.8907

This is exciting. I didn’t expect to get an Arenanet white knight responder right off the bat. Interesting.

It wouldn’t matter if i worked for them or not. It’s upper management that decides what gets priority. If you had worked for ANY big company, you would know this. And all upper management cares about right now is trying to make as much cash off of the expansion as possible to limit their losses. Which, with the current price scheme, will be pretty difficult.

It’s absolute BS that they turn off game features for this long without giving evidence of what they’re doing. I don’t trust ‘community managers’, because they’ll ALWAYS say what you want to hear. They’ll say ‘Yeah, we’re working on that, guise, I pwomise. It’s just taking longer than expected. Sowwy!‘, and the sheeples have been calmed. It’s your kind of attitude that lets them get away with this nonsense to begin with.

I think that’s one of the first times I’ve ever been called a white knight. It’s kind of precious.

As I said, if their response isn’t good enough for you, that’s fine. I’m not trying to tell you to feel a different way. I am telling you that they are working on it. And there’s not really anything else we can do about it. The issue has been brought up many, many, many times now. We couldn’t be any louder about it if we tried. So, the only thing left to do is wait. And while you’re incensed and filled with apparent rage, I’m just filled with mostly apathy. Sure, I’d really like to get my black widow pet on my ranger. But I just don’t care about it enough to fret. It’ll be back at some point, I’ll get my pet, and then I’ll go back to playing the game (like I’m already doing now).

DPDude.7205

Except many of the posts in the bug subforum have come from the main QA/bug team actually fixing it and explaining the issue.

Your anger is not really necessary. Its a complicated code they are working with and a complex problem for them to solve. They jumped on when they dont take time to fix a bug and jumped on when they they do take the right amount of time.

It will be opened when they have resolved the issue. There isnt really any more on the matter

With the HoM being disabled for this long, and everything being behind a korea style level lock now, there really is no reason to start a new character, ever. I guess the guy’ll have to sit idle for the rest of his life. (or until i collect enough tomes of knowledge to not have to deal with the level lock)

Randulf.7614

With the HoM being disabled for this long, and everything being behind a korea style level lock now, there really is no reason to start a new character, ever. I guess the guy’ll have to sit idle for the rest of his life. (or until i collect enough tomes of knowledge to not have to deal with the level lock)

Just played through a new alt last couple of weeks and didnt encounter any Korean style level lock at any point. Hope that helps relieve your concerns

DPDude.7205

Just played through a new alt last couple of weeks and didnt encounter any Korean style level lock at any point. Hope that helps relieve your concerns

Well, i just started a ranger, and even the friggin PET PANEL is locked in a lvl 5 prison of awful.
White knight all you want, but the leveling system was FINE before they changed it to this hideous korean style level lock system.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

About a month ago they were “close.” But what is close? What does that mean? Just like in all things there is only so much tether. Close, to me, means under a month. Past a month you weren’t close, you still had a lot to work through, or you were seriously underestimating the effort needed. If they get to two months then close wasn’t even in the ballpark and they need to give us another update to let us know why it’s still taking so long.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

lordkrall.7241

About a month ago they were “close.” But what is close? What does that mean? Just like in all things there is only so much tether. Close, to me, means under a month. Past a month you weren’t close, you still had a lot to work through, or you were seriously underestimating the effort needed. If they get to two months then close wasn’t even in the ballpark and they need to give us another update to let us know why it’s still taking so long.

Or maybe, just maybe they were close, but something came up in the last round of testing that would have broken stuff even more and thus they couldn’t release it?
Should they post here every single time something changes? Then they will not have time to do anything other than keeping people updated here. Things happen, that is just the nature of programming.

Point still remains that they have communicated quite a bit with us about this issue, and yet people still claim that they are telling us nothing.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Kal Spiro.9745

Or maybe, just maybe they were close, but something came up in the last round of testing that would have broken stuff even more and thus they couldn’t release it?
Should they post here every single time something changes? Then they will not have time to do anything other than keeping people updated here. Things happen, that is just the nature of programming.

Point still remains that they have communicated quite a bit with us about this issue, and yet people still claim that they are telling us nothing.

Um, actually yes. That’s why they have Gaile. Gaile isn’t doing any of the work. “Hey Gaile, we ran into a snag. Let them know on the forum that it’s going to take longer than we thought. We were close, but something came up. We don’t have a time table, we’ll let them know as soon as that changes.”

“Sure, no problem, that’s what I’m here for, communicating with the community so you guys can continue to do your work.”

Does that not make sense for some reason?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

lordkrall.7241

It doesn’t make sense because we don’t need to know every single thing that ever happens.
I am sure that Gaile have plenty of other things to take care of other than giving us updates 5 times a day on the same issue.

And we also all know how people here react to delays.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Kal Spiro.9745

It doesn’t make sense because we don’t need to know every single thing that ever happens.
I am sure that Gaile have plenty of other things to take care of other than giving us updates 5 times a day on the same issue.

You’re exaggerating at an absurd level. We don’t need updates 5 times a day. That’s not a thing, and no one is asking for it. Even once a week might be a bit much. When the answer is, “We don’t have an eta yet,” then any amount of time is really available.

This isn’t any of those things. This is them saying it’s nearly done and then a month later there is still nothing. It’s about time for another update. When it’s practically done then more updates are prudent. I know ANet has a policy against communication, and I know why, because we’re just terrible all the time. But I think it’s a bad reason and a bad policy. Keeping us informed is better than leaving us in the dark, and since they have a team whose entire purpose in the company is to do just that, they should utilize them more for their purpose.

It doesn’t take that long to write a paragraph, or even just a couple lines to explain where certain things are. I don’t need a play by play, but when the situation changes it would be nice to know.

lordkrall.7241

And will people really accept a paragraph that potentially say: “We found an error with the solution so we had to go back to square one again, and currently don’t know when it will get fixed”? I find that highly unlikely.

Reporting stuff before there is something to actually report is usually rather pointless and just creates rage and anger.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Kal Spiro.9745

And will people really accept a paragraph that potentially say: “We found an error with the solution so we had to go back to square one again, and currently don’t know when it will get fixed”? I find that highly unlikely.

Reporting stuff before there is something to actually report is usually rather pointless and just creates rage and anger.

I could really care less what you find likely. I know that a bunch of people will kitten, because people on this forum will kitten about literally anything. It doesn’t change the fact that knowing is generally better than not knowing. Being a company that informs its clients would be appreciated, even if they have to be careful about how they phrase the information.

Correct, but at this point, there is something to report. That is a better clarification of what close meant, or an explanation that something changed. Or a possible third option, it’s done and they’ll be implementing it in an upcoming patch with some other stuff.

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

Question about that HoM bugged, did that bugged only apply to those who had never owned GW or rather did not link the GW1 account to 2?
Just asking cos I kinda annoyed that I missed it out assuming if there is no consequences to it. Sure I’m 41/50 but I really want the rest of the AP!

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Its actually not hard at all. All it would take is a brief, semi-technical description of the blocking bug. Something as simple as “we’ve narrowed it down some, but theres still a problem where duplicate titles between characters each count toward the total” is not only hugely insightful, it indirectly gives people some sense of scale with the issue.

Even on a more vague side “we still haven’t found the cause of Valor issuing more points then it should.” is still satisfactory, because the context indicates they know where part of the problem is.

A lot indie studios do weekly, or monthly bug roll up reports so the community has a sense of what they are up to. Even some AAA MMO studios are being more active in doing this, as it shows both awareness AND progress of issues. You’d be surprised how prophetic a community can be with even that kind of limited information. Being able to call out bad ideas a mile away, and even predicting (with high accuracy) the outcome of tweaks and mechanical changes.

On a side note; the reason this hasn’t worked with the Revanent is the hugely incomplete, or even conflicting information that prevents us from seeing the Rev as a whole concept.

Posted by: Poke Storm.7983

Poke Storm.7983

I can understand having to fix the issue but if your going to make it so nobody can claim the rewards till it is fixed then those who got lucky enough to collect rewards before all this shouldn’t be able to walk around with these pets and titles and so on till everybody else can, this should be a major concern, but its been over 3 months now without the HoM it should be fixed by now as much as I hate being the guy to say it but major/minor doesn’t matter its been long enough to patch up the issue.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I could really care less what you find likely. I know that a bunch of people will kitten, because people on this forum will kitten about literally anything. It doesn’t change the fact that knowing is generally better than not knowing. Being a company that informs its clients would be appreciated, even if they have to be careful about how they phrase the information.

Correct, but at this point, there is something to report. That is a better clarification of what close meant, or an explanation that something changed. Or a possible third option, it’s done and they’ll be implementing it in an upcoming patch with some other stuff.

This.

If you are going to remove access to something for which people have paid it is a good idea to keep them in the loop to a greater degree than we are seeing here.

If one or two minutes a week spent giving Gaile an update that she can post here negatively impacts development to an appreciable degree then Anet really needs to look into their staffing, management, and processes.

lordkrall.7241

This.

If you are going to remove access to something for which people have paid it is a good idea to keep them in the loop to a greater degree than we are seeing here.

If one or two minutes a week spent giving Gaile an update that she can post here negatively impacts development to an appreciable degree then Anet really needs to look into their staffing, management, and processes.

Except that no one have actually paid for HoM access.
We have paid for GW1 access, nothing else. Heck, when I paid for GW1 it didn’t even give access to stuff in GW2.

Yes, they could give updates once a week, but wouldn’t it be completely pointless to just keep saying: “We are working on it, no ETA at this time” week after week?
People actually complain like mad about updates like that, because they are “just writing something because we whine, but they aren’t telling us anything!!”

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This.

We have paid for GW1 access, nothing else. Heck, when I paid for GW1 it didn’t even give access to stuff in GW2.

Yes, they could give updates once a week, but wouldn’t it be completely pointless to just keep saying: “We are working on it, no ETA at this time” week after week?
People actually complain like mad about updates like that, because they are “just writing something because we whine, but they aren’t telling us anything!!”

HoM access, and its contents, has been declared as an official benefit of buying into GW1 and linking it to one’s GW2 account. People have bought GW1 specifically for the declared HoM rewards. If you pay for X which is described as including Y then you have paid for Y.

Kal Spiro.9745

This.

HoM access, and its contents, has been declared as an official benefit of buying into GW1 and linking it to one’s GW2 account. People have bought GW1 specifically for the declared HoM rewards. If you pay for X which is described as including Y then you have paid for Y.

I’m one of them. I can’t stand GW1, I really wish I could cause I would have more in HoM, but I really only bothered because I was guaranteed to get something out of GW2 which I had already preordered by that point.

Some day I might actually be willing to put in the work to get up to 30 points and get all the substantial rewards. It would be nice if they were accessible.

That being said, no, it wouldn’t be worthwhile if all they were going to tell us is “No ETA,” but that’s really not what we’re talking about here at all. We’re talking about a situation where they claimed it was getting finished, they said close. Well every day it’s not done, after a month, makes that claim less and less reasonable. So any kind of update would not be the same as telling us more of the same.

“We’re still on track, but were maybe a little over zealous in our initial estimates.”

“There is a snag and we’ve been held up on a specific issue.”

“It’s done, we just haven’t decided on a release date.”

“There was a delay in production due to a sudden need to shift resources.”

These are all perfectly reasonable responses, and no, most of them won’t get the best reception, but at least we’d be informed. I would rather be informed. Based on your consistently vehement rejection to the very nothing on being kept informed I assume you would rather live in the dark with only occasional tantalizing glimpses at something resembling light. That’s really not for most people.

Posted by: Radnar.9814

Radnar.9814

Wonder if it will get out before heart of thorns or not, i really hope so but i also really doubt it.

Posted by: Ixionic.7095

Ixionic.7095

I am not buying the Heart of Thorns expansion until this is fixed. Only when ArenaNet releases the fix live into the game and all of the Hall of Monuments content is back and working fully will they get their $50 on the expansion from me. I am not purchasing anything on gem store either until this is fixed. ArenaNet won’t get a single cent from me until HOM fix goes live and I think other customers feel the same way.

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Please release Hall of Monuments Update. Its ridiculous that it is closed for such a long time. This game itself is 3 years old. What’s wrong w/ everyone having the skins anyway?

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Radnar.9814

Agreed, i really miss the HoM.

After all the time people spend getting the points this is a huge screw you. especially since so many people dont even care a few got a couple of AP or skins when they didnt do it.

Posted by: Raven.3957

Raven.3957

Remember about five pages back when I said MY eta was a year, far after HoT released? Well, were only about 9 months away from that being true.

Anet is too busy breaking everything else while also trying to make HoT.. This just isnt even on their list of important crap to deal with.

They say it wasn’t backburnered, because they haven’t put it on the side… Its more or less like dedicating 0.00001% CPU to working on this, while putting the remaining 99.9999% on everything else; TECHNICALLY NOT BACKBURNERED!

Oh and PS, anet DOES test their stuff… on us.. We test all of their bugs and help them work it out. That is their testing process: Make kitten, release it, people find the bugs, they fix it (Eventualy.)

/rant.

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I’d also like to add my voice to this issue. Returning player, so I haven’t had to deal with as long of a wait as many other players; however, upon returning, the first thing I wanted to do was add all of my rewards to my wardrobe and mini’s to my miniatures. When I first saw the disabled comment, I shrugged and googled. I was absolutely floored to see this has been disabled for so long.

I’m not asking to put aside the work into fixing those accounts that received undeserved rewards, but there absolutely should have been some sort of temporary fix to allow those that had rewards to still be able to add them to their wardrobes.

Also, I completely agree there should be some form of compensation. It may sound entitled, whiny, and unreasonable, but as complex of an issue as this is, any gesture to the player base over this would be welcomed imo considering the length of time that has passed.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Do you guys how hard it is to sort out what you need from milions of accounts?

I think by now I could have written several SQL queries that would have isolated the necessary values in the variables, even if I had to hardcode those values one at a time.

lordkrall.7241

I think by now I could have written several SQL queries that would have isolated the necessary values in the variables, even if I had to hardcode those values one at a time.

Which would work for a single situation and not really work all that well to be reused if needed for something else in the future.

Doing it with pure SQL-queries is also a rather stupid way to do it, due to it being rather hard to track and test. Using pure SQL-queries to do something like this is not something that would be recommended I would say.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Radnar.9814

But this has taken so long its obvious its not something they’ve got lots of people actively working on, either it IS on the backburner or they’ve just left one guy to try sort it all out. Just hope it gets back before the end of the month anyway.

Posted by: Riablo.5842

Riablo.5842

Wow. This issue still isn’t fixed? This is getting embarrassing lol.

As someone who works as a systems analyst for a living, a broken app feature with no customer work around is normally usually classified as a high-ish priority change. If the implementing the change affects the scope of a project, generally the project board/stakeholders provide special approval to implement the change ASAP.

My recommendation to ANET would be for them to reassess how they’re approaching this bug/change. Either the project/change manager is prioritizing the wrong changes or not enough resources have been assigned to this one.

lordkrall.7241

As someone who works as a systems analyst for a living, a broken app feature with no customer work around is normally usually classified as a high-ish priority change. If the implementing the change affects the scope of a project, generally the project board/stakeholders provide special approval to implement the change ASAP.

My recommendation to ANET would be for them to reassess how they’re approaching this bug/change. Either the project/change manager is prioritizing the wrong changes or not enough resources have been assigned to this one.

Or maybe, just maybe, an issue that in no way or form effect the playability of the game will not get high priority when they are preparing for a major release?

Sure if it had been a game-breaking (or even game-effecting) issue I would have agreed with you, but since it is not it really seems illogical for them to take away resources from more important places in order to rush out a fix.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

But this has taken so long its obvious its not something they’ve got lots of people actively working on, either it IS on the backburner or they’ve just left one guy to try sort it all out.

Pretty much what I figured from this post almost a month ago in the original topic from the bugs forum; not sure if a lot of posters in this thread has seen it so I’ll post it here:

Hey guys!

No release date yet, but it looks REALLY promising right now. Not for next release though, I don’t want to get your hopes up and dash them on tuesday.

FWIW the programmer doing the fix is extremely meticulous and wants this to be 10000% right when it goes out. It is not an easy fix and it has been being worked on since it broke.

If we can all be patient just a little bit longer then we will have more Gods Walking Amongs Mere Morals in the future… but sadly one of them won’t be me.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Instant-God-Walking-Amongst-Mere-Mortals/page/12#post5237935

When this bug hit I was 26/50 and now 32/50 and slowly rising while playing and enjoying GW1 during this downtime of new GW2 content. I really want to use the axe skin and black widow spider when this all gets fixed.

RoseofGilead.8907

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Notsoperky.4291

Notsoperky.4291

Work in any company for a while, and try the ’we’ve got nothing so we won’t bother saying anything’ and see how long you have a job for.

They could release regular updates that would take all of 2 minutes to type out. Even something as simple as ’we’ve worked on 20,000 lines of code so far and haven’t found it, there are another 80,000 to review’ would go wonders towards keeping people updated.

Saying nothing just says ‘we don’t care’ loud and clear.

Notsoperky.4291

Or maybe, just maybe, an issue that in no way or form effect the playability of the game will not get high priority when they are preparing for a major release?

Sure if it had been a game-breaking (or even game-effecting) issue I would have agreed with you, but since it is not it really seems illogical for them to take away resources from more important places in order to rush out a fix.

Ah, you mean like the golem exploits and bugs and huge boosts on all toons that got reported all week, and totally ruined wvw? Yep, they sure jumped on that real fast…it’s pretty clear it’s all hands on the new release and everything else can go swing.

Makes me happy I didn’t prepay for whatever it is that they come up with (I’m not that gullible, I like to find out what’s being sold and WHEN before committing to a purchase).

Posted by: Riablo.5842

Riablo.5842

Work in any company for a while, and try the ’we’ve got nothing so we won’t bother saying anything’ and see how long you have a job for.

They could release regular updates that would take all of 2 minutes to type out. Even something as simple as ’we’ve worked on 20,000 lines of code so far and haven’t found it, there are another 80,000 to review’ would go wonders towards keeping people updated.

Saying nothing just says ‘we don’t care’ loud and clear.

Communication can really make or break the change management process. In my opinion ANET hasn’t done enough “good communication” on this issue. Vague developer comments on the forums aren’t really adequate to communicate the resolution process to concerned users. What you really want is emails, log in messages, detailed forum posts, news item posts etc.

At my company, we get complaints from the users/stakeholders if our communication is not up to scratch.

Posted by: nexusone.2367

nexusone.2367

I completed my 30/50 from I think it was 20/50 back then just around the time they managed to break it, and i’m still waiting to get all the other nice skins etc.

So after 4 months, any news on this?

lordkrall.7241

I completed my 30/50 from I think it was 20/50 back then just around the time they managed to break it, and i’m still waiting to get all the other nice skins etc.

So after 4 months, any news on this?

Is it really too much to ask to at least read the last page of a thread you post in?
Just a few posts over yours there is a link with a post from yesterday.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

For those that still don’t understand, I’m just going to put this here.

Quote from Chris Cleary on why it is STILL down:

I’ll try to explain this without getting too technical, and some parts are probably going to have to be left out.

The bug that caused players to unlock achievements/skins/titles and achievement points was caused when the GW1 server that stores the HOM status talks to the GW2 server that controls new character creation. Basically it was sending bad data to the GW2 server, and unlocking achievements that should not have been unlocked.

This means that there were multiple problem points that need to be cleaned up. The first thing to be cleaned up was the bug that caused this to happen, and that was fixed within a few hours. However, the removal of the rewards is an entirely different problem.

We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed. Unfortunately, this came at a time where our resources are tapped to the max, so it’s taking longer than we would like to fix this.

Thankfully (lol), when the HOM rewards bug was happening, the actual HOM was not accessible, and those players were not able to claim any other HOM entitlements…so the damage was somewhat limited.

We are working on this, I assure you, and we will remove the rewards from players that should not have received them. I do not have a timeframe, as modifying accounts at this type of level is not something we would ever take lightly, and as long as we keep a majority of the entitlements locked there is less for us to clean up.

So it sums up to basically this.

They fixed the bug a long time ago (like literally hours after it happened). That was easy. No more bug, done and gone.

The reason why we are still waiting for months and being denied access to our earned rewards is because they haven’t removed the rewards from those who didn’t earn them. So those of us who earned our rewards, are being denied them till then.

Nothing needs to be fixed. The bug is fixed already. They are just denying us our rewards that we earned and making us wait until they can come up with a way to remove rewards from those who didn’t deserve them. Even though, the bug is already fixed and they could re-enable the HoM whenever and then remove rewards later, but they’d rather do it this way instead.

So there ya go.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

(edited by SpyderArachnid.5619)

Notsoperky.4291

Ah thanks for the clarity Spyder -basically it’s a case of ‘we don’t care about you honest folks, we want to deny the few who might have got something cosmetic’ and until they can be bothered to do that (oops, I mean ‘devote the necessary time and resources’) we’re stuck not being able to access a function of the game.

So no change and no likely date for it to get back online, just more promises of ‘soon’.