Mordrem Invasion Feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

boring like silver waste

But at least you get properly rewarded in SW with champ bags/gold, exp and karma. Here you get jackkitten and even have to pay your kitten off for the waypoint costs.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

There are a few problems I see with this event:

1. The incentive to just tag events and run to the next

You get one stack for each event you participate in whether you just kill a mob or stick with the event to the end. This could be resolved by granting stacks based on your reward level (e.g. 1 for bronze, 3 for silver, 5 for gold) or based on anything else measuring your participation and scale the rewards accordingly.

2. Getting to an event that finishes just before you’re there

When you pick the event you want to go to next you have very little indication of its current progress, so you might not get there before it is done which can be frustrating even without considering the time limit. To help players to estimate whether they get there in time these events could show how long they already are active (i.e. how much time other players had to get there) and how much life the crawler has left (e.g. full life, less than full more than half, less than half).

3. No rewards unless you stay the full time

Once you have passed a certain threshold there is only one thing that can deny you your reward and that is leaving the map (whether voluntarily or not), so why not just hand out the rewards once you’ve passed the threshold? To prevent people abusing this by getting the lowest reward over and over again, let people keep their stacks till the event is over.
In addition by having the thresholds for additional rewards so far apart there is an incentive to just stop doing events after you reached them, so having a system like 1 blossom for x events would give an incentive to do events till the end (e.g. 1 blossom for each event up to 10 stacks, 1 blossom for every 2 events from 11 to 20 stacks, 1 blossom for every 4 events from 21+ stacks).

And buff mobs. You’d be surprised at how often the longbow ranger skill that kills everything with one CD or arrow rain are applied at the worst possible moments. A solution could be have all the mobs elite (veterans would get bursted down too fast and with no loot anyway is better to have that durability) with an occasional champion or a legendary that drops exotic loot and stacks of mats like bolt of Damask or even silk and linen.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

My main complaint is the time in between events starting up. I keep missing it somehow because of things going on outside of the game, so I have yet to actually participate in this. Couldn’t it have been constantly going on?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Lol. This event reminds me of the joke where the guy is beating his head on a wall. A friend comes up and asks him, “Why are you beating your head on that wall?” The guy answers, “Because it feels so good when I stop!”

Thank you very much ANet for providing a “blossom wall” to beat my head on. I’ve stopped beating my head on it and it feels great. I’m off now to Dry Top to finish my ambrite weapons. That’s a map where I know I can work towards what I want far more consistently and not lose gold while doing so.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: pandora.8475

pandora.8475

Trust me your not missing much it huge waste of time.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I had a thought this morning on how the whole thing could feel much more rewarding:

At the end of each vine combat, a chest spawns in the middle of the fighting area. It contains blooms. Your participation level determines how much: 5 for gold, 3 for silver, 1 for bronze. This encourages people to stay and finish the events and to work at them to boot. Add on the daily plus the stacks reward, and the flow of blooms will feel much more worth the effort and let people feasibly get more than one vendor reward if they want.

I’m sure it’s too late to implement that this weekend, both for coding reasons and for the wave of complaints that would come from those who’ve already been farming, but for future invasions (if any) this could solve a number of issues.

Of course I’m no game designer and there could be some huge exploitable flaw in my suggestion.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

SW is awesome, there’s always people in there and you are rewarded for your time. Not this failed event.

Posted by: SpiroTris.3748

SpiroTris.3748

It would’ve made a lot more sense to make the goal something like X mordrem kills instead of events completed. That way everyone could’ve stayed at each site until it was finished before moving on.

As it is right now I’m spending half the event looking at loading screens jumping between sites. My laptop is pretty bad so loading times aren’t the the best either..

And like other posters mentioned, it’s not such a big issue for us long-time players as we’ve seen this before. But players who recently picked up gw2 and get exposed to this…. It’s not a very good experience to be exposed to at an early stage of trying out what otherwise is a great game.

Having said that, for me as an experienced player with an account full of lvl 80s this is a lot better than nothing new at all. Anything that gives us something to do other than running one of the grindfests or doing map completion on yet another alt is much appreciated.

Posted by: Ildrid Ildhjertet.2489

Ildrid Ildhjertet.2489

I love how the events track map progression, yet it does nothing. I was on a map during the first Mordrem Assault, and we saw the tracker for how many events our map had completed. I got really excited, we spread out all over the map and completed like 50 events or so mapwide. Amazing community work right there. Well, the rewards were obviously buggy, but now it’s (mostly) fixed it’s plain to see that map success counts for nothing, and personal ability to tag events counts for everything. This is really sad.

There is one flaw in mapwide rewards that I can think of, and that is people finding a good map and then afk-ing the whole event. At any rate, I guess it is too late to fix now, and I hope stuff will get better in HoT. Already pre purchased, already hyped, but if this is how open world is gonna progress then I might as well stick to my dungeons/fractals/raiding runs.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I love how the events track map progression, yet it does nothing. I was on a map during the first Mordrem Assault, and we saw the tracker for how many events our map had completed. I got really excited, we spread out all over the map and completed like 50 events or so mapwide. Amazing community work right there. Well, the rewards were obviously buggy, but now it’s (mostly) fixed it’s plain to see that map success counts for nothing, and personal ability to tag events counts for everything. This is really sad.

There is one flaw in mapwide rewards that I can think of, and that is people finding a good map and then afk-ing the whole event. At any rate, I guess it is too late to fix now, and I hope stuff will get better in HoT. Already pre purchased, already hyped, but if this is how open world is gonna progress then I might as well stick to my dungeons/fractals/raiding runs.

I do think it be nice maybe for next time you get one bloom for every 2 or so event completed map wide on top of your own completion prizes

Posted by: Amelia Brigita.3940

Amelia Brigita.3940

There are books written here, so don’t want to add another version, but I’m so vastly disappointed for the first time with ANet, I can’t NOT post something….

The reward structure on this event is heart-wrenching in levels of disappointment. As has been stated, the time:reward ratio is insultingly weak.

What’s baffling is why would you guys not even offer a hint of consistency? Why reinvent the wheel when you have a perfectly valid reward structure in Silverwastes? Why not carry it over to this event? Its seems kinda a no-brainer…

Aim an event at lowbies and then offer no incentive to participate, no loot to benefit them, no xp, no karma. Make an event to please people who missed rewards from previous events, but make the blooms so time-gated as to be impossible to achieve with any rational playstyle…someone already said this, too, but it rings loudly in my mind: GG, Anet, you brought us an event disappointing to old and new players alike.

Amelia Syleste / Amelia Robles / Abra Cadavher
Moderator – /r/guildwarsdyejob
Get your fashion fix.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

There are books written here, so don’t want to add another version, but I’m so vastly disappointed for the first time with ANet, I can’t NOT post something….

The reward structure on this event is heart-wrenching in levels of disappointment. As has been stated, the time:reward ratio is insultingly weak.

What’s baffling is why would you guys not even offer a hint of consistency? Why reinvent the wheel when you have a perfectly valid reward structure in Silverwastes? Why not carry it over to this event? Its seems kinda a no-brainer…

Aim an event at lowbies and then offer no incentive to participate, no loot to benefit them, no xp, no karma. Make an event to please people who missed rewards from previous events, but make the blooms so time-gated as to be impossible to achieve with any rational playstyle…someone already said this, too, but it rings loudly in my mind: GG, Anet, you brought us an event disappointing to old and new players alike.

Yea probabely have been said before cant be kitten d to read through 400 posts, but not taking the mini map reward from sw after each event and give it 1 bloom, would have solved the problems people have that dc with 1-15 stacks and get nothing instead.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

What’s truly sad is how this even passed internal QA and review…..
Like really anet? you have 3 years of experience and knowledge when it comes to creating these types of open world events…. and you somehow PASS this event into live servers?

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

In all honesty, this is one of the reasons I haven’t jumped into prepurchasing Heart of Thorns yet. I’m very disheartened by the direction this game is taking.

Anet just seems to be cutting too many corners lately. They give us a years worth of content drought with the excuse that they’re working on the expansion, and even then the content shown for the expansion so far seems very sparse. They give us lots of outfit releases in the gem store instead of armor that can be customized, because apparently outfits are cheaper and easier for them to create. And now when they do finally give us one new event, it’s very sub-par, with recycled rewards, enemies and mechanics from past events, only with less loot, exp, karma and gold earning capabilities.

I honestly see little reason to support a game that the developers themselves seem to show little interesting in supporting from their side. This is coming from someone who in the past would have prepurchased the expansion in a heartbeat without giving it two thoughts but who has, over this past year, lost a lot of faith in this game.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

The only way I find this event fun is to only do it for the daily reward. I get 20 blooms for showing up + whatever I can stack. After this, I quit. I try my luck at getting dyes from the Scarlet box. Reign <3

Then go back to what I do normally.

This event feels like questing from any other MMORPG. Kill mobs, return. Kill mobs, return. And that wait between maps is the most exciting thing about the whole ordeal. xD NAP TIME!!

It’s not just the grind part that makes me a bit salty. It’s the gold prices. As if it wasn’t enough that I must waypoint constantly to get the most out of the event (there goes a good chunk of silver) but the prices I must pay in gold for the prizes themselves.

It could really stand for some improvement. I’ve invested more into doing the event than I’ve gotten out of it. And as someone who cares about new players experience I can’t imagine this being their first event and them really wanted to partake in the next. Please for the love of the players new and old at least give some response.

It’s not as if we are greedy, we just want to enjoy the event. Which isn’t too much to ask.

Posted by: Ronorra.1530

Ronorra.1530

Sorry to say but this is one of the worst events I have ever experienced in any MMO. Anet is dropping the ball an awfull lot lately.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

I wasn’t surprised at the bugged situation when the event was started, as I was waiting to have a look at it. When I finally did go to have a look, I think I waypointed 5 times, only to see the events completed right before I reached it. When I did actually get to one of the events, even the husks would die pretty much immediately, and as that event was about to be completed, I was d/c’d from the game. While I can’t say for sure the d/c wasn’t my provider, everything else appeared to work fine and I rarely get d/c’d. So I’d have to say “I’m not impressed.”

I was hoping for something a little more than ‘tag 1 mob and then go for next event while knowing you won’t make it in time’. I probably won’t bother unless bored. It just seems to be a farming event without the loot. LA invasion was more interesting than this. Rewards are lackluster, but… what is with the increased usage of Gem Store items as available without gems?

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

Posted by: Ruke.7062

Ruke.7062

Just underwhelming. Disappointed. Events feel heavy and slow. I feel for the new comers of the F2P there first world event is sooooooo disappointing. 4 day event released on NFL opening day and over the opening weekend. Really was this a Seahawk fan rage on the Patriots for Butler BLOWING UP THE ROUTE. I hope not.

please I know you guys are busy But you can fix this.

suggestions:
make the event: the map defeats X amount of Mordrem spawn events. then A Mordrem Guard spawns. bam event fun and we get a taste of HoT

make it easier to move from one event to the next. (movement boost, make them closer to each other, make more events pop… etc..)
make events closer to accessible way points.
increase the length of the event. What’s the rush? Why 4 days only?
unlock loot for mobs make MF worth something
why is there an hour break?

Rewards are awesome

I believe in Anet.
Your loyal Ruke D AP rank 900 US Server

It came to me this morning.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Did we get an official comment from Anet yet? Like sorry guys, we kittened up.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Well, after having completed an invasion or two, I would also like to throw in my two cents.

First of all, about advertising: If my memory serves me right, this event was advertised as a big “this is a good time to be in a guild now” kind of thing with guilds being asked to recruit people and so on and so forth. Could anyone please elaborate how the hell this event has any kind of relevance to guilds? This is a big open-world zerg-fest, nothing else. There is no point to be in a guild for this.

Secondly, the events itself: You spam auto-attack and aoe-heavy skills in order to tag as many mobs as possible. Together with the questionable reward system (I’ll come to that later), a player is even encouraged to hop from event to event without finishing them in order to get credit for as many as possible. There is an absolute minimum of coordination required that kinda sorts itself out due to the nature of the zerg. All this makes the invasion incredibly boring after a couple of minutes. However, the things lasts for a whole 30 minutes, testing my patience rather than my gaming abilities.

Lastly, the rewards: While I consider it a great idea to bring some old LS1 rewards back (personally I don’t need them anymore, luckily), the cost of these compared to the actual rewards of a single invasion – daily aside – is completely off. A max of 15 tokens for a half an hour event? Time-gated, nevertheless. I’ll leave the calcs to those more seasoned with maths than me, but it should be quite obvious nevertheless that you’d have to put a sick amount of hours grinding those events if you wanted to get anything past a reward item or two. Considering how boring these events actually are, no thank you.

To conclude: Poor advertising, poor gameplay and even worse rewards. That’s not the kind of things I overly enjoy.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The other depressing part about this is that there seems to be nothing ArenaNet is planning to do to rectify how awful the experience has been for players. Being head and shoulders above the competition means bending over backwards to provide the best game play experience for your players. There hasn’t been a hint of communication on this.

People that want this thing to go for 2 more weeks are part and parcel with the problem. Adding more time to this event does not fix the flaws in the event. I would want to have two more weeks in this event if the entire reward structure was revamped, if the encounters were made vastly better, if we got to see some of the new AI tech they have been puffing their chest out about and any of the content actually hinted at the fact these were new enemy designs from HoT. They aren’t though.

This event is an unmitigated debacle from a game play, communication, and design standpoint.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

I’m trying to find something constructive to say here, but it’s really hard, since I feel the event is really really wrong, and for a number of reasons (all of which have been stated countless times):

• The events feel quite stale, like old bread – it’s 3 basic events that’s been done to death, so already from the start it didn’t feel very inspiring to take part. I more felt like “ok, I’ll try this once, but I sure hope there’s a decent reward”, and that’s not right – events really should be entertaining to give the “yes! I like this” feeling instead. I wish I could come up with ideas on how else to design this, but alas, I’m no game designer.
  • Due to the reward structure, it really encourages people to “tag and run”, since that’s the only readily available way to get to the 20+ that seems to be required for maximum drops. A far far better design would be to base the reward on how many events you really stayed to completion, and then lower the required number for maximum reward., possibly coupled with a count of how many events the map cleared. That would give people an incentive to stay for event completion, and also work together on getting many events done.
  • Since the events themselves, and the mobs, do not give any reward whatsoever (no XP, loot, karma, or anything) it becomes a substantial cost just to zap around to the different events, and in the end we have nothing to offset the cost. (Sure, for veterans it might not be too bad, but even so having to WP maybe 110-15 times during an event runs up to 25 silver, which may be a significant cost to many, especially the newer ones the event is supposedly for.) The events themselves should at least grant enough silver to not lose us that much money, plus some karma and a random piece of loot, blue or better – nothing fancy, just a little something.
  • The limited duration of the event, coupled with the high number of blossoms (?) required for items makes it feel really grindy if one wants a nice item. For me, it just made me walk away from the entire thing, and I have no plans whatsoever to take part in them, but for those who desperately want the items, it’s going to take a huge amount of playtime just to work these events. A possible solution here would be to either let the event run for the “usual” 2 weeks, or to make a substantial change to the cost structure for the items, such that people with less playtime could get the items.
  • If the event is really for the newer players (as has been said by many, though I personally haven’t seen that in writing), having the items cost quite a few gold on top of the very limited number of blossoms, also seems strange – a new player probably won’t have lots of gold to dish out on a vanity item. This could possibly be changed such that the cost becomes a factor of the total play time accumulated by the account? If I’ve played 10 hours, items cost 10s, while if I’ve played 5K hours they might cost 50g (just throwing numbers around here as an example)

Overall, I would recommend that you take down the event and re-think the entire structure, then come back with an event that feels more balanced.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

boring like silver waste

No.

Silverwaste is pure gold compared to this. It can actually be quite fun and requires at least some players who know what they are doing rather than defeated meta-zerkers who don’t waypoint out.

This however…

Absolutely…. I definitely required someone to show me how to dig 30-40 holes in the sand every 20mins all day long every day…

Oooh you meant Vinewrath my apologies… couldn’t agree more AFK’ing through the event after tagging a mob or two takes a lot of coordinated effort and balls of steel to master that.

Wasteofsilver sure is a 10/10 for map/content development – - heck I would prefer having Trinity and Gear treadmills to this hamster wheel mullarkey.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Most common complaint? Lack of rewards in general.

I like the stacking mechanic, and it would be useful, if it weren’t so arcane and, well, use_less_.

I would have recommended:

• Each stack has a (stack)% chance for defeated enemies to drop a bloom. Granted, that contributes to tag-and-run, but there’s other ideas.
  • At the end of the event, instead of 20, the granted blooms = Stack x Map Victories x modifier (10%). So a really active player on a coordinated map (12 stacks, 55 victories) would secure a lot more blooms, rather than the minuscule amount we get in comparison to the costs.
  • As someone specified above, rewards show up in a chest per map completed (the central bloom in the middle is an ideal location). This stops a fair amount of the tag-and-run.
  • During invasions, always have locations refreshing. Later into the invasion, it was hard to find locations that weren’t fully crowded. When the timer’s done, set the final reward after the last event is completed.
  • Possibly have smaller event cycles. 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off. And for Gaheron’s sake, use more than one map. Probably use all 3 maps at once.
Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Glitch from yesterday aside, I was looking forward to this event. After participating in it I an very disappointed. Much of my disappointment has already been covered by previous, very constructive comments.
– Lack of drops
- Ridiculous cost of items(10 gold? – really?)
- Lack of sufficient reward for the time invested
- Stack system is not very fair. Should have gone with zone success instead. It would promote cooperation much more than getting stacks per individual.

Anyway, I’m sad that I lost interest so fast.
-

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

It’s an event for new players, and the rewards are bugged. They were pretty clear in the blogpost that players level 18 could participate, so I’m not sure why 80s thought it would be challenging.

The reward bug is crappy for sure, though.

The problem: Anet forgot about their players’ gaming habits.

Historically, events on the lowbie maps usually scale up based on how many people are in the event circle. The Mordrem Invasion event doesn’t scale up.

Anet forgot that people have been preparing for HoT by leveling their characters.

They forgot about the guilds who hold weekly map completion for the public or events like Crusade Across Tyria (rpcd.enjin.com). Newbies can easily join these groups and leave lowbie-dom behind.

They forgot about tomes given as log-in rewards or PvP prizes. People zoom to level 80 in this game.

They forgot that 80s always flood the map when a new event is added to the game. If there are too many 80s in a low level zone, the monster will be instantly downed. Worse, the lowbies won’t be able to get a hit in and receive their share of the loot. It’s not a secret that lowbies at level 18 are slow and have limited skill sets.

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

Loot needs to drop from mobs or we be rewarded immediately with blooms after an event finishes. My game froze 2 min. to the end of the event – luckily I had the presence of mind to just leave it alone hoping that the game servers still thought I was playing. When I felt the event was over I eventually end-tasked the game and restarted and my chest was there.

But I would’ve been livid if after 28 minutes I received nothing because of a game error.

Little late but this event needs to end and be rethought and restarted at a later date.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I posted this idea this morning but I apparently quoted a deleted post and it pulled me down with it …

I know it’s likely too late for this weekend, but in future the reward structure might work better if we retained the overall completion rewards but also had a chest appear in the middle of each fight area at the completion of each vine event. It would contain blooms, the number depending on your contribution. 5 for gold, 3 for silver, 1 for bronze. That way people have incentive to stick around and to work at completing each event.

Beyond the rewards, I feel there should be more lore impact of this. Right now we just have vine pinatas that don’t do anything bad if they aren’t killed and don’t have a lot of explanation for why Mordy is bothering to fling them at the maps. While I’m folding it all into my RP head canon, I have to work at it, unlike the LA invasion which really did have global impact in the game. It’d be nice if the invasions figured into a greater plot. Right now it’s more, well, hey, we have a jungle dragon who can send stuff through the ground, let’s randomly have that happen.

Now, I understand you want to avoid map-wide failure that can be deliberately triggered. Still, there should be some impact from failure, or some greater benefit from greater success for the map as a whole.

Posted by: Exile.2745

Exile.2745

Spent my time on GW2 today in SW instead of the event. Felt I enjoyed my playtime a lot more than the day I spent on the “event”. Some players in my guild played the event for the first time today and it seemed they found it less-than-enjoyable. I wouldn’t ignore this one, ANet, you need to fix it.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

For the blooms, I don’t understand why the Spawners don’t drop them after they die, like the Toxic Offshoots did (and still do). If each Spawner dropped 3-5 then there’d be a real incentive for people to actually stick around rather than run to the next one.

They could also give real awards when the invasion ends a Vine-Covered Crate for each 10 or so events completed by the map and bags of loot etc for each event you personally complete.

As it is, I can’t be bothered with this event anymore. Doing anything else is more rewarding.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

On top of the terrible design there has been zero acknowledgement that our concerns are even being taken into account. I am not talking about disagreeing with what the majority of players are saying in this thread. Youc an disagree and think the design is 100% working as intended and that it’s a good event. I am talking about simply acknowledging how a lot of posters in this thread feel about the event. It’s salt in the would for lack of a better term.

A simple, “We hear your concerns, while nothing may change about this event and we may not even share your feelings about it, we understand this wasn’t to the liking of a majority of players in this thread.”

You know who else does a poor job of communicating that they hear my concerns?

Comcast

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

Let me tell you the design of this event. You are expected to focus on the STORY, that Tyria is under attacked. You, as a citizen, the “hero”, have the obligation to protect your home country regardless whether there is any “reward”. But you know, Anet is so kind to give you some rewards by doing so. Be thankful guys.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

How the event should’ve been:

• The majority of the reward should’ve been based on how many events the WHOLE ZONE got completed, not individual. Zone completes 50 events? get 30 blooms, etc etc (numbers made up).
  • The personal buff should’ve had a cap, like 5 or 10, and gives bonus Blooms or the crate when you hit max.

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

Unfortunately much of this goes way back. There were people who took advantage of certain events in the past when loot was dropped and it was used as a horrible excuse to make creatures no longer drop loot, xp, or stacks. It’s a very empty feeling to kill hundreds of mobs for 30 minutes that aren’t even real just to get nothing. It was a lazy fix instead of actually addressing the design elements that led to events being farmed instead of completed. I don’t think there is some evil conspiracy to take our loots, but if you think there isn’t some serious thought of the gold to gem exchange process that goes into making rewards then you may be just as extreme at the opposite end of the spectrum. Another huge gold sink event release in coincidence to the anniversary sale and coming expansion may just be bad planning on Anets part. I mean they are REALLY busy right now and it would be understandable if mistakes were made. However even if innocent it breeds the same contempt in the player base. It saddens me more to think of all the new players who have no idea that these events used to be fun and helped to make gold/ mats to achieve your end game goals. In spite of the Scarlet invasions difficulties that help to lead to this sort of soulless event, they will never know the fun that those invasions were in comparison to this. They’ll never know the first Queen’s Jamboree and how much most people loved it. Silverwaste was a rare example of events done mostly right in terms of rewards, but bundles upon bundles of chances of loot that are not affected by magic find is just as disheartening. Rewards in this game have always been a sensitive subject. Whether it is the many who feel they are not appropriately rewarded vs the many who prefer the content over rewards. The economy vs gold to gem conversion argument as to why things are so unrewarding is an old topic too. No matter where you stand there is no doubt this is a beautiful and fun game to play. I admit I can be overly passionate about the game, but it’s because I love it so much. There’s nothing better out there in my humble opinion. The rest of my long post is my input to all of the new players that may be joining us (even if they can’t post here yet as they are enjoying the free accounts) I just want the new players who may be reading this to not give up because of of this event. If you love the game make your voice heard. Realize that although there will be those who can be very defensive of your criticism, that they just love the game a lot too. Also that’s it’s actually a good thing to voice that criticism here constructively. Which I myself am working on the constructively part, but thanks to wonderful people like Gayle who have a gentle way of letting you know you’re acting like a butthead without insulting you I am learning (which by the way whatever they pay her they need to double because Gayle rocks). Discussion is after all what shapes the game. Just because you have a problem with the game doesn’t mean you hate the whole game and should “just not play”. Anet is pretty good about listening when the community speaks in unison. So if you are new or old to the game and love it as much as most of us do then help make it the game YOU would want to play.

Posted by: Wicked Felina.3605

Wicked Felina.3605

• The majority of the reward should’ve been based on how many events the WHOLE ZONE got completed, not individual. Zone completes 50 events? get 30 blooms, etc etc (numbers made up).
  • The personal buff should’ve had a cap, like 5 or 10, and gives bonus Blooms or the crate when you hit max.

This is how it should have been! All other gripes aside change this and it is a much better and enjoyable event.

Posted by: Lauriewonnacott.9841

Lauriewonnacott.9841

I enjoy doing this and am glad to have the opportunity to do this as an experienced player. The only part of the game I didn’t experience was LS1 despite having played the game lots at launch, and so to be able to get the Toxic Skins is great. Once HoT starts things like the Toxic skins might be put fully to rest and never return to the gem store for all we know.

Duhsziu – Revenant
Polyscia – Elementalist
Mercedene Underfoot – Thief

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

This is how it should have been! All other gripes aside change this and it is a much better and enjoyable event.

Only problem is, how does it deal with the AFKer’s? In which case, the buff could’ve been used again to even qualify for loot.

if anything…

Upon reaching 50 events wide done, max prize is 50 blooms

• getting a buff 1-9 gets you 15
  • getting a buff 10 – 19 gets you 30
  • getting 20+ gets you the 50

in other words, 50 is the max you could get out of the 50 available. So if the map got 40 bloom reward, then reaching 20+ would net you 40, and so on.

Its too late to change this now, but should be considered for future events

Posted by: UncrushablePigeon.8760

UncrushablePigeon.8760

I too am quite disappointed with this event.

1) launched with a bug that prevents players from getting rewards!
2) only 4 days to gather blooms with an inadequate reward system, expecting players to grind like crazy if going for 450 blooms – if you’re lucky not to get dc’d – people just cannot play that much
3) the break during the events
4) the cost of the items is too high, new players don’t have 10 g lying around
5) enemies not scaling up and dying so fast you can’t even hit them

In general i’m really sick of the instability of the servers too, just repeating that here. I’m sure there’s more but yeah this event has done nothing but stress me. Sad.

Posted by: Brown Fang Thump.9482

Brown Fang Thump.9482

This event managed to crash my client (Mac) twice: no rewards for me, since all rewards are based on being present in map for entire period.

Once again, ArenaNet has successfully added “new” content to the game that ignores effort while rewarding presence and mindless zerging.

The most fun I got out of this event so far, after attempting to play it for 2 hours, over 2 days, is being able to say, “the client crash ate my rewards [homework].”

This really feels like a technology demonstration rather than a well thought out set of game mechanics that challenges and entertains players. As a guild leader, it is really hard for me to recommend playing this content with my members, though I feel obligated to help them play if they are so inclined. Having to warn them that any disconnection or map travel can result in them losing all progress toward rewards is ridiculous.

In map chat, players are advocating “tagging in” to each place where there is action and moving on, without even attempting to help complete the local event, in order to maximize rewards. These players are reporting 20 or more blooms per run within a single map. Meanwhile, those of us who are actually attempting to finish a group of mordrem off before moving on are getting 10 or less. There’s nothing fair, strategic or fun about those ratios.

I’ve lost a lot of enthusiasm for the game playing this poorly conceived mess.

The reward system here feels more like an attempt to micromanage how we play, how long we play and where we play. It certainly doesn’t feel like any real recognition for engaging challenging content and overcoming real adversity. Unfortunately, this type of system seems to be the new normal for the game that inevitably has to be tweaked after the fact.

The real question is: what was so wrong with the looting and reward chest systems previously in the game that this new, poorly designed reward system was implemented; and, who’s the “visionary” who approved this new system for public consumption?

(edited by Brown Fang Thump.9482)

Posted by: Rachiia.6045

Rachiia.6045

Clearly the worse event ever done in Guild Wars 2. The sad thing is it does nothing to motivate the F2P players to buy the expansion. It probably makes them think, “What a sucky game. I’m going back to [fill in the blank].”

I’m a bit surprised by the usually sharp marketing team on this one. It seems they should have been smart enough to showcase an awesome event for new players to upsale them on HoT. Guess not.

And that really sucks, because this is an awesome game.

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

Day 2, post-patch that supposedly fixed people not getting rewards, still no rewards. Whatever the problem causing the daily completion reward per map not working is exacerbated heavily if you happen to disconnect even if you still manage to build back up to 10 stacks before it’s over. Whether you tag and leach from spawn to spawn purely for stacks or actually properly stick around to clear areas out, it makes no difference.

Whether the event is made for new players to have a chance at rewards from prior living stories, or for veterans to get rewards they missed out on, 4 days is NOT ENOUGH TIME for anyone to reasonably get even just one of the 450 cost items.

4 hours a day is a generous estimate of the BARE MINIMUM. If the game just decides not to reward you even once, you basically have to double that. The design and reward structure of this event expects people to give up their lives outside of the game if they want to make sure they actually get anything they want out of it. And not having any tertiary rewards like coppers, XP or karma from doing this makes it all the worse.

This is more than a mess. This is outright malicious design.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

The other depressing part about this is that there seems to be nothing ArenaNet is planning to do to rectify how awful the experience has been for players. Being head and shoulders above the competition means bending over backwards to provide the best game play experience for your players. There hasn’t been a hint of communication on this.

People that want this thing to go for 2 more weeks are part and parcel with the problem. Adding more time to this event does not fix the flaws in the event. I would want to have two more weeks in this event if the entire reward structure was revamped, if the encounters were made vastly better, if we got to see some of the new AI tech they have been puffing their chest out about and any of the content actually hinted at the fact these were new enemy designs from HoT. They aren’t though.

This event is an unmitigated debacle from a game play, communication, and design standpoint.

It doesn’t fix all the flaws but it still fixes some important ones like how expensive the prizes are relative to the time one has to farm the events. In two weeks suddenly the shoulders and potions look achievable in a reasonable time.

As for the other flaw (no loot drops from mobs or karma, coins, and experience from the events) it’s a simple enough fix.

Posted by: SSGroguey.5841

SSGroguey.5841

Why isn’t this event just a month or so long as a lead up to the expac dropping? Someone did the math on reddit and supposedly you’ll get 1.5k blossoms if lucky, if you’re on an intense grinding spree.

Four days (including 1 day that was buggy and didn’t give proper rewards) just feels like S1 all over again, limited time to experience an event and maybe get some goodies. :|

Posted by: UncrushablePigeon.8760

UncrushablePigeon.8760

Quoting King of Aces (https://www.reddit.com/user/KingofAces) on reddit:

“Its everything they talked about not wanting to teach players…
Selfishly tagging and moving on, not helping others, zerging, repetitive and grindy. Individually based instead of rewarding an entire map for working together (say they kill 29 total in 30minutes rather than 20 individually) There’s no regular drops from mobs, and crazy amount of grind for rewards.
It just feels lazy and really disappointingly unlike Gw2, it feels like they’ve taken a step backwards from all the progress they made with mawdrey and SW, or even old content like nightmare of towers. just wtf is this?”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3khpjc/mordrem_bloom_income_rate_feels_low_and/cuxnro3

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They didn’t expect players to figure out the minimal work required to count as “helping” at each event. They should have tied it to medal level as well (bronze/silver/gold is 1/3/5 or 1/5/10) and then set up the reward scale appropriately.

Problem with in house testing is everyone will play it as intended and not “how do I game the reward mechanism?”.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

Why isn’t this event just a month or so long as a lead up to the expac dropping? Someone did the math on reddit and supposedly you’ll get 1.5k blossoms if lucky, if you’re on an intense grinding spree.

Four days (including 1 day that was buggy and didn’t give proper rewards) just feels like S1 all over again, limited time to experience an event and maybe get some goodies. :|

I just wanna make clear, that math for 1.5k blossoms? That’s if you never log out, disconnect, sleep, or do anything else but play the events on each map every time they start, from the first spawn yesterday to the final spawn on Sunday.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Only problem is, how does it deal with the AFKer’s? In which case, the buff could’ve been used again to even qualify for loot.

if anything…

Upon reaching 50 events wide done, max prize is 50 blooms

• getting a buff 1-9 gets you 15
  • getting a buff 10 – 19 gets you 30
  • getting 20+ gets you the 50

in other words, 50 is the max you could get out of the 50 available. So if the map got 40 bloom reward, then reaching 20+ would net you 40, and so on.

Its too late to change this now, but should be considered for future events

Although I agree with this in theory with the numbers you give it’s a bit broken and does reward people who run to an event tag it and move on to the next rather than finish the first: actually joining and completing 20+ of these events in 30 minutes is practically impossible if we take into account the time it takes to run from event location to event location or the time it takes the game to load after waypointing. You could, however, run to 20+ events hit a few mobs and run to the next hoping someone else finishes your “homework” for you.

That said, there are a number of ways of making people stay around though, for example, a buff that starts when you get involved in an event so you can only participate in one event at a time so it’s in your best interest, a chest or other lootable object that spawns at the end of the event with your reward for the event, like how the toxic offshoot could be looted for pristine toxic spores, or have the event change to a second, much shorter “phase” after the first one was up, so for example, the spawner could turned into a secondary mob a champion/legendary “punchbag” that people had to kill in order to get the event reward.

This is the kind of discussion that they should be having in ArenaNet though. How do we encourage people to complete an event rather than encourage event tagging or worse reward situations where failing is better than succeeding.

From what I can see here this is not something they considered. I wonder how much they’ve actually learned from previous events like this. If you continue to repeat the same mistakes you cannot really claim to be learning.

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

Which is interesting, considering I’d love that selflessness potion.

I tag every Mordrem Invasion I get across. I make sure to kill a mob or two, damage the Spawner if I’m able – and then I run away, either towards the next event on the map, or enough until I get out of combat so that I can use the waygate.

I don’t stop to help ressurect dead or dying players. There’s no time, I have 30 minutes to get 20 stacks. Sometimes, my buff won’t get updated when I’ve participated in an event – it doesn’t seem to matter if I was just there to tag a mob, or if I stayed to deal some damage first. Seemingly at random, it just won’t count.

After I’m done with my 20 stacks (if I even reach that far) I’m stricken with how boring and exhausting the entire thing was, so I just go afk to get myself a drink. There’s no reason to continue helping out once you’ve got max stacks – especially since, sometimes, you still won’t receive the rewards due to bugs.

So yeah. I’ve never played this game this selfishly before- and I don’t care to do so in the future. It makes me feel bad, like a leech, but it’s also the most effective (some would say only) way to play this event.

Let’s hope this event is not a preview of what’s to come in Heart of Thorns.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Yeah… you are.

Congratulations.

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Well, I get 10 stacks and then afk, so I suppose Im a selfish player too….

M I L K B O I S