[Suggestion] Color Blind Mode (merged)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

A couple of posts have arisen in recent days about ways to accommodate players who are color blind. This is a merged thread so that everyone can keep up on the discussion without having to track different threads.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: aleeex.6452

aleeex.6452

Hello! Dardy here, or Alex, whatever you want to call me. Basically, I’m one of many who are either colour-blind or colour-defective. This means that I, and others, find it difficult to read certain text colours when chatting. Me, personally, find /me and /party text colour difficult to read.

I appreciate the variety of commander icons. These have helped me follow players much easier unlike before.

I’m just asking whether it’s possible to edit text colour, and/or any possible development of this in the future?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

This would help far more than the color-blind. Everyone has different colors that catch their eye and it can be hard to pick out some of the designated colors as mattering.

For instance, the dull grey of emote text. (Yes, I’ve mentioned this before. I’ve been mentioning it since beta. It’s a terrible color for any chat channel, let alone one that is used to convey a lot of complex non-routine information).

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

+1 For request to add in customizable font colours.

aleeex.6452

Thanks for the support. It would be far more friendly if we could customize it. Even if it’s a small variety. If it can be included as part of a collection, reward, or “dye”, I wouldn’t mind. This is just way to frustrating. After two years of struggling I thought it’d be best to voice my opinion.

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

I say they should add it. I have a color blind friend and he has a lot of difficulty in EotM/WvW because he has issues with the commander tags, he sometimes gets them confused. It would also be nice just to have the option to do so, somewhere in the graphics options. +1

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

Not color-blind, but I support your request.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Thanks for the support. It would be far more friendly if we could customize it. Even if it’s a small variety. If it can be included as part of a collection, reward, or “dye”, I wouldn’t mind. This is just way to frustrating. After two years of struggling I thought it’d be best to voice my opinion.

I think that would over complicate it – I think a straightforward colour change option would be the way forward. I think what is being suggested is a very good and reasonable proposal overall though

Saying that, using your collected dyes to colour your text/UI just sounds funky!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Not the first time this has been posted, but I support it every time. Possibly because I’m colorblind. lol

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I have more trouble seeing the red circles than anything else. When they came out with those orange-ish filled in circles I thought my prayers had been answered, only to find out those aren’t used for all enemy AoEs, but I guess really powerful attacks.

There are some encounters that are in areas with specific light effects that make those circles nearly identical to player AoEs, and when you have a bunch of circles on the ground and can’t tell them apart, it typically spells disaster.

I think all enemy AoE should be that obvious orange color. But that’s me.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Bunter.3795

Bunter.3795

I support this request as well. I have no problem with seeing the red circles but my problem lies with the green and blue in wvw. Unless they are close to one another I cannot tell them apart since the change in color some time ago. The old dark blue was great as I could easily tell the difference. It would be nice to be able to change the color.

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

I do not take credit for this, but this seems like a really solid point. So I figured the subject needs to be brought to light.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2v9341/why_is_there_no_colourblind_option_yet/

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

Because AOE designs as they currently stand, are not favorable to a colorblind option.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I may sound quite ignorant on this, but which colours are causing such problems? To my knowledge, white and red are not ever confused, and those are the most important ones. I can see the green friendly versus the red snarlies might be a problem, but the fact that the snarlies attack you while the green do not should be a hint which ones you need to hit.

Now that I say all that, I do recall a few instances where the enemy names are in green until a certain point and then they turn red, but in those cases they usually say something to indicate they are about to attack. When they do swap, they pause for about a second before taking that action. Is that delay not long enough to know you need to attack them then?

Note: Please don’t read into my language as being sarcastic or nasty. I genuinely don’t see the colour choices being confusing enough that a colourblind mode is needed, but if a good example or two is presented, I can definitely change my position.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I may sound quite ignorant on this, but which colours are causing such problems? To my knowledge, white and red are not ever confused, and those are the most important ones. I can see the green friendly versus the red snarlies might be a problem, but the fact that the snarlies attack you while the green do not should be a hint which ones you need to hit.

Now that I say all that, I do recall a few instances where the enemy names are in green until a certain point and then they turn red, but in those cases they usually say something to indicate they are about to attack. When they do swap, they pause for about a second before taking that action. Is that delay not long enough to know you need to attack them then?

Note: Please don’t read into my language as being sarcastic or nasty. I genuinely don’t see the colour choices being confusing enough that a colourblind mode is needed, but if a good example or two is presented, I can definitely change my position.

As I understand it, it’s more to do with thin red lines on green terrain becoming invisible.

Posted by: Elegy.2159

Elegy.2159

As I understand it, it’s more to do with thin red lines on green terrain becoming invisible.

This is indeed the problem. I have intermittent color blindness due to MS, and I usually just accept the fact that I die a lot when gaming during those times.

There are a few things that help though, depending on which kind of terrain the AoE rings are disappearing on. Playing with gamma, shaders, and postprocessing can sometimes make the red lines (barely) visible. It makes the whole game look worse than it usually does with vision problems, but I find it worth doing in some situations. TA, CM, and PvP for example.

I also tried a program with visual filters (SweetFX I think). Making the entire display black and white made it possible to see everything (of course, with no color.) It was murder for my FPS though – I could only keep it running if I got rid of other programs like skype, music, browser, etc. I’ll probably give it another try at some point. I’m going to choose music over seeing thin red lines almost every time though. It would be amazing if Anet could integrate something like that into the game itself.

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Still better then having to watch the ME3 endings when colorblind ^^

In any case at least with the nvidia driver you could color shift red or green (or both, and do other stuff) to maybe make it more visible for you.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Given that upwards of 8% of males (and 0.5-1% of females) have some degree of colour blindness, I don’t understand why this isn’t a priority to fix.

The new style AoE circles do help, because even though the colours might appear close, the contrast is different enough to see immediately. The old style circles are not.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

I have a hard time telling red rings from green rings, e.g. am I standing in a friendly guardian’s symbol or a hostile NPC’s AoE that’s about to hit.

Also, for example, it’s hard for me to see red rings in Twighlight Arbor. The last boss, the big tree, which partly hides the rings is especially bad. It’s not like you can adjust the camera angle very well in there either.

If the video/control options had a couple of drop downs for “friendly colour” and “hostile colour”, so I could change green and red to blue and yellow, that’d be great.

(edited by Morte.5916)

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Btw in certain situation and with post effects setting high some of the old rings are even hard to make out for non colorblind people ^^

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

I think telling the difference from armor type is a big issue as well. Maybe some little symbol in the corner of each item.. like M for masterwork L for legendary, ect..

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

I think telling the difference from armor type is a big issue as well. Maybe some little symbol in the corner of each item.. like M for masterwork L for legendary, ect..

….or they could hover the cursor over the item and see what rarity a piece of equipment is.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Still better then having to watch the ME3 endings when colorblind ^^

They would get only one ending lmao.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Rognik.2579

The colour band around the items is a new option, one that can be turned off, and as people said, hovering over the item will say what the rarity is. This is a minor complaint, one not quite important enough just to help colourblindness. (Besides, I doubt the green masterworks will be confused with the orange exotics, and the ascended gear is a pink and so much harder to get.)

The thin red lines on green grass, though, I can see as being a problem. Not quite sure what change would be appropriate here, though.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

….or they could hover the cursor over the item and see what rarity a piece of equipment is.

If you aren’t colorblind you really aren’t in a position to tell colorblind people to just get over it with a comment like that.

There are some workarounds but if you think colorblind people should just hover over all the gear and read the details would YOU like them to take away the functionality you have to see a gears rarity WITHOUT hovering?

Wouldn’t it be annoying having to hover over every drop instead of just knowing if it’s an exotic from a glance?

They added some other new UI elements that are optional to toggle on and off. It would be nice if they could have a UI accessibility team. I would like to be able to toggle some features myself that bother my eyes.

They could add circle options for AoE that show a different line pattern instead of a different color and/or a ring that comes up off the ground so it’s easier to differentiate from the terrain.

Colorblindness is only one visual issue that affects some of the playerbase. There are plenty of visual issues that make the game troublesome to play. They say they try to make the skills really easy to read in sPvP so you can react to them, but I can’t tell what the hell is going on with my eyes. I don’t know what’s supposed to be obvious but most skill activations aren’t obvious to me. The heal skills are the only things that are extremely obvious and that’s it for me.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: Wolfheart.1879

Wolfheart.1879

Seems a very clunky and slow way of doing it. While the colourblind section of the playerbase are likely a minority, I don’t think it is incumbent upon them to create workarounds. Accessibility is something that can only benefit the game, and would certainly support any options Anet give that allow for that.

Divinity’s Reach is home to some top-tier criminal masterminds.
The kind of people who will set an orphanage on fire after locking themselves inside it.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Hard to come up with a good scheme to resolve the issue for all terrain types. Maybe some kind of orange + black-colored circle using stripe-patterned indicators for incoming enemy effects? I don’t think making it a different solid color would help at all, especially since terrains/textures can and will change and it subsequently may cause limitations in the future as well.

Obviously nothing is perfect in that regard due to the inability for color-blind players to make out the very fine changes in color on the ground, but I think maybe these mixed would create a relatively safe means of keeping them identifiable from terrain and allied indicators?

I know ANet stated this was something they were planning on addressing a LONG time ago. Would be nice to see these options pursued more over UI reworks which end up being largely detrimental.

Elegy.2159

Hard to come up with a good scheme to resolve the issue for all terrain types. Maybe some kind of orange + black-colored circle using stripe-patterned indicators for incoming enemy effects? I don’t think making it a different solid color would help at all, especially since terrains/textures can and will change and it subsequently may cause limitations in the future as well.

High contrast patterns would help a lot. It wouldn’t need to be something terribly obvious to people seeing a full spectrum of color, just alternating white and black ticks in a pattern. Maybe one distinct pattern for hostiles, another for friendlies. It could be semi-transparent even, it just needs to have enough contrast to be seen.

In situations like WvW/huge zergs, I often wish AoE indicators could also indicate which profession they belong to. With effect LoD turned off (which is necessary in WvW even on very good machines) I have no idea whether a circle is a warrior’s combustive shot or a ranger’s healing spring. Obviously, a profession indicator wouldn’t tell me exactly what kind of field it is, but I could make a more educated guess, and everyone should be familiar with the profession icons. Just for friendly fields I mean, hostiles can keep their anonymity.

Rognik.2579

High contrast patterns would help a lot. It wouldn’t need to be something terribly obvious to people seeing a full spectrum of color, just alternating white and black ticks in a pattern. Maybe one distinct pattern for hostiles, another for friendlies. It could be semi-transparent even, it just needs to have enough contrast to be seen.

In situations like WvW/huge zergs, I often wish AoE indicators could also indicate which profession they belong to. With effect LoD turned off (which is necessary in WvW even on very good machines) I have no idea whether a circle is a warrior’s combustive shot or a ranger’s healing spring. Obviously, a profession indicator wouldn’t tell me exactly what kind of field it is, but I could make a more educated guess, and everyone should be familiar with the profession icons. Just for friendly fields I mean, hostiles can keep their anonymity.

Well, with ranger’s Healing Spring, there’s a small fountain that springs up in the center. For necromancer wells, its profession icons appear in the center. I’m not sure if this is what you mean by LoD but there are the indicators. Also, if it’s a friendly field, does it matter which profession it comes from? Your pal’s warrior skills will never hurt while the enemies always will. Plus, how will you tell the difference between a ranger’s barrage shot and healing spring; two circle skills from the same ally, but with very different effects.

Although on that subject, I just realized that ground-targeted skills are also a problem to colourblind people, with green being valid and red being invalid. It could be really hard to tell if it’s out of range or not on any landscape, and I don’t think this can be passed off as “just learn the distance”. I’m not colourblind, been playing since launch, and I still have no idea what “Range: 600” means.

Elegy.2159

Well, with ranger’s Healing Spring, there’s a small fountain that springs up in the center. For necromancer wells, its profession icons appear in the center. I’m not sure if this is what you mean by LoD but there are the indicators. Also, if it’s a friendly field, does it matter which profession it comes from? Your pal’s warrior skills will never hurt while the enemies always will. Plus, how will you tell the difference between a ranger’s barrage shot and healing spring; two circle skills from the same ally, but with very different effects.

Oh yes, I know they won’t hurt me! The small fountain from healing spring is a particle effect, as are the flames from combustive shot. When using graphics settings that limit the amount of particle effects (to reduce lag) these tells don’t always appear. Using a blast finisher in a water field (healing spring) will area heal, while using a blast finisher in a fire field (combustive shot) gives area might. Two very helpful and very different effects. Usually I’m looking for healing – I know warriors and necromancers (just for instance) won’t be laying down any water fields. So if I could look for a ranger or elementalist symbol, I’d at least increase my odds of finding one!

Posted by: CrimeDog.5614

CrimeDog.5614

I just wanted to stop by and say that I am a color blind gamer; I have known it every since the 4th grade and I’m currently 28. As far as gaming it affects me in a very insignificant way. Honestly, the only issue I have is dying armor. I cannot tell the difference in colors, even when they’re separated by hue. I usually use a limited amount of color on my armor, or have my roommate set it for me since he has good taste ha.

For those that do not know, color blindness is genetic and is brought about by not having one or more of the three color cone cells (red, green, blue) inside the eye, or one or more not working properly. It is an unfortunate issue, but I’m sure like everyone else who is color blind, they has learned to live with it.

As far as having a color blind setting in the game, I can’t see how this would even be possible. I actually, for the most part, see the same colors as anyone else. My eyes just cannot tell my brain what color I’m seeing since I’m missing a color cone cell. I know, for example, the game Peggle has a color blind setting, however they just place symbols inside the different colors for association. I can’t imagine how you’d be able to set particle effects, AOE rings, item rarity, or what have you to a color blind mode and it be beneficial to anyone, while not taking away any beauty or aesthetics of the game. However, I am open to any suggestions. (Edit: I decided to read some of the posts and there are some decent suggestions out there. But since this affects such a low population of games, I wouldn’t assume that there will ever be any additions to help color blind gamers.) At any rate, there’s my two cents, for what it’s worth. :P

(edited by CrimeDog.5614)

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

… if you manage to find your mouse cursor in a cluttered screen.
A series of game screenshots can successfully substitute the Ishihara test for colourblind people. How long does it take to change the cursor to make it more visible , possibly to add an option to no longer hide it when you right- click? This issue has been raised from the beginning , there were many open threads , then lost in the forum’s depths, unanswered, unsolved. I am afraid that this thread will have the same fate , unfortunately, because colourblind people are a minority and there are more important things to solve.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

It might be cool if the aoe circles and mouse pointers would invert the colors of the terrain beneath them. They would never be invisible no matter what at that point.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

aleeex.6452

Could I get a response as to if this will happen?

Posted by: Templar.3418

Templar.3418

I feel the title is yelling at me.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

Please make it an option since there are so many degrees of color blindness, and not just in the chat, give us a level play field already.

Rognik.2579

Link to the last conversation on this topic: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-is-there-no-colourblind-option-yet/

Just so stuff doesn’t have to be repeated over and over again.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I did some research on this back in the early days of Guild Wars, and I was surprised to learn that about 11% of the male population is colour blind, so I can understand how this request is not one that would serve only a small number of players.

I have seen it discussed, but I believe there are quite a few elements that would need to be addressed in order to implement this. I’ll see if there’s any info to share on this. (And I’m super happy to hear the variety of Commander tags colours are helpful!)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: humfrid.2615

humfrid.2615

Thanks for giving this some attention Gaile!

There have been threads about the issues for colour blind people pretty much since launch, especially in regard to the red circles for AoE attacks. On that topic I wanted to mention that the newer versions of the red circle are not ideal but MUCH better than the old thin red line circles.

HOWEVER, the old thin red circles are still in use in some parts of the game like e.g. the guild rushes, which means that I always need a guildie playing guidance dog for me, when I want to complete one of those. Presumably looking into that and changing those remaining old versions of the circles should not be too much of a problem?

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I am not colour blind, but I just want to say I support the idea for a colour blind mode toggle in the options menu.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I am one of those colorblind players.

Most things in the game cause little to no issue. The only significant one is the red circles vs green terrain or light red circles issue. An option to change those colors would be tremendously valuable.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

It is important to remember is that there are several different forms of colour blindness so what works for one won’t necessarily help with another form. For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ishihara_compare_1.jpg
(From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness )

Based on (possibly mis-remembered) conversations about colour-blindness support in the past a lot of effects of colour blindness can be alleviated by using different selectable, high contrast colour schemes in the UI. Especially around the area of ground targeting markers.

The best way would be if people could choose their own colours for UI text and good and bad ground markers (and if they wanted them “filled in”) at least.

Not being familiar with your code base that might be a hundred tiny changes in a hundred places rather than one single change in a single place. From the fact that we didn’t have a global switch to the new marker style I suspect that it would be quite a lot of quite similar changes to a lot of places. But, hey, that’s what interns are for.

Also, it would be great if the different Commander colours had different icon shapes too, blue dorito, gold circle, red triangle, purple square and so on and a high contrast/outline option. That would help a lot I think.

Posted by: GamerOnline.3650

GamerOnline.3650

Would an aura that extends upwards from the thin ring on the ground be suitable? Not too tall but enough to make it more visible. Perhaps allow a player to select the size (and transparency) via their options.

In appearance, I envision a ring with an aura (semi-transparent) extending upwards. It could even have symbols added to the aura for enhancement and identification purposes.

Skulls for poison.
Flame for burning.
Etc.

Pretty much it could use the same symbols as conditions. Unless of course this would give too much information to the player beyond the fact that something bad is about to happen.

Edit: The same could be applied to beneficial/player AOE as well.

Farm responsibly, for you are not alone. Share the love, not the hate.
Support your local environmentally friendly farmers.
Asuran Mesmer Mind Tricks: “These aren’t the golems you’re looking for.”

(edited by GamerOnline.3650)

Posted by: Lantesh.7680

Lantesh.7680

I recently picked up this game during the 75% off sale and am a colorblind player.

I have to say that this game is one of the more colorblind unfriendly games I’ve played. I simply cannot tell whether an aoe circle on the ground is friendly or hostile. I do my best to stay out of all circles now since I have no idea which ones I’m supposed to be in.

I also cannot tell the difference between the rarity of items in my inventory at a glance. I have to hover over each one to see what it is that I have.

I would love to see changes made to be more colorblind friendly. It’s a bit hard for me to play because of this. I do like the game though, was worth the $10. :P

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I’m colour confused, and my best friend who is a Guild Wars 1/2 player (and not forum user) is colour blind.

In my own case, I find myself horribly disadvantaged to play the red side, because I have a heck of a time figuring out which red is enemy red and which red is ally red. Why not Blue and Yellow?

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Thank you for highlighting this, Gaile!
Other threads have not had the same luck. The following are some of the fallen.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Mouse-Cursor-Visibility
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/suggestion-Make-mouse-arrow-HIGHLY-visible/page/2
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Mouse-Pointer
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Higher-Visibility-Pointer
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Cursor-Mid-Combat
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/mouse-pointer-cursor-visibility-targeting
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mouse-pointer
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Mouse-Pointer
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Where-s-the-mouse-pointer-Long-server-names
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Cursor-Needle-in-the-haystack
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Losing-track-of-cursor-terrible-tab-targeting
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/More-noticable-mouse-pointer
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/mouse-pointer-hard-to-spot
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Ground-targeted-AOE-fast-cast-mouse-look-bug
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Do-the-devs-care-about-color-blind-gamers
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-Make-color-blind-graphic-options
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Color-Blind-Support
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Ringing-the-right-notes-colour-blind-option
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Colorblind-Mode
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Target-is-not-colorblind-friendly
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/For-red-green-color-blind-people
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Colorblind-issue
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/I-m-colour-blind-here-are-some-major-problems-I-have
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Do-you-plan-for-a-Color-blind-mode
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/PLEASE-option-for-colorblind-assist
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Colorblind-assist
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Red-Circles-Hard-to-See-R-G-Colorblind
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-question-to-the-devs-regarding-aoe-circles
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Consider-making-exotics-red
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Color-blindness-support-options
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/GL-and-colorblindness
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Color-Blindness-Accommodations
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Color-Blindness
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/This-is-what-color-blindness-looks-like
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Color-Blind-Disability-Assist
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lwd/Pact-Assault-sucks-for-color-blind-people
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Lacking-visibility
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Pointer-and-commander-visibility
And a special request from my tormented pinky
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-stop-making-us-press-CTRL-constantly
Please don’t let this thread die.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I did some research on this back in the early days of Guild Wars, and I was surprised to learn that about 11% of the male population is colour blind, so I can understand how this request is not one that would serve only a small number of players.

I have seen it discussed, but I believe there are quite a few elements that would need to be addressed in order to implement this. I’ll see if there’s any info to share on this. (And I’m super happy to hear the variety of Commander tags colours are helpful!)

We in that estimated 8-11% are a very commonly overlooked minority. Those that are not colorblind don’t tend to even think about it. I’ve worked at one place in my 17 years of being part of the workforce that accommodated in any way for color blindness, and that was one particular Taco Bell I slung tacos at as a teenager, and only there because the manager was also color blind.

Its not a crippling thing in most respects, so its also not uncommon for it not to really be taken seriously. We’re not ‘sick’, and we’re not fricken making it up either, contrary to what my 3rd grade teacher was eager to believe when she gave me after-school detention 16 times because she thought I was ‘being difficult on purpose’ and ‘making up lies and stories’ when I’d call red things orange and lighter blue things grey.

So yeah, it’d be cool if something could be looked into up in the Anet Eagle’s Nest to do with this.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Biggest issues for me are the enemy AoEs (not the solid, blatantly obvious orange ones—I love those so much), the ones with the thin red outline. In some lighting it’s no problem, but in others its pretty much impossible for me to tell quickly which is which. TA spider area is a good example. That ground color or texture or whatever it is, it’s like they are invisible to me!

Then of course the inventory items. I still can’t see the difference between the yellow and green. That super thin little border does very little for me. I’m not sure what would be a better solution on that one. Yellow and green (light green) are really hard for me to tell apart. I even mix up exotics sometimes with the green.

Outside of those I don’t really have an issue differentiating anything.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

I am partially color blind so every time I participate in a boss battle I lose my mouse pointer in the explosion of colors on the screen. All I really need to overcome this is an option for a larger pointer or to be able to choose a bold, base color that will stand out from mess.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

One glaring issue is that during the same mega-event (Tequatl), you have both types of AoE circles used. The solid/patterned ones are quite easy to see, even in the water; but the light red circles are not, even on land.

Making the GW2 client honor your cursor settings on your computer (ie the high contrast or inverted options) would also really help. I’m not colourblind and still prefer the inverted cursors for contrast both on my home PC and my workstations on the job.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]