The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Darcness.2408

Darcness.2408

Rooftop free running anyone?

You totally have my attention now. I remember all these roofs and amazing mazes of streets. I always got lost in Kaineng.

Just imagine all the amazing jumping puzzles possible in Kaineng Slams!!:P

Aaaand just like that, at the prospect of having to see Kaineng City again, I’m not behind this idea. No, seriously, I really was not fond of that part of Factions, I was more a fan of the stone forests which were slowly recovering and the sea which was turned into solid jade.

Kaineng City, assuming there even is one anymore, would most likely be vastly different. We’re talking 200+ years different. Just like LA, Divinity’s Reach, and all other areas that have changed drastically in one way or another. I doubt the ole’ Hong Kong slums would be even there. It wasn’t my favorite part either, but it did look very much like Kowloon, and I enjoyed it simply because of that.

Either way, Cantha as a whole is a much different place than what we know about it from Guild Wars Factions. Echovald is de-petrified, and the Jade Sea isn’t so jaded anymore. All-and-all, I, and possibly millions of other players would be greatly disappointed if Cantha’s not revisited. It’s just too big to write off like that.

200+ years ago, Divinity’s Reach didn’t exist But I do get your point . . . my point was that people imagining freerunning the slums as awesome was not as appealing to me. I mean, I do like my jumping puzzles from time to time.

(Except for the northern one in Southsun Cove with the steamvents.)

But I really don’t like that spot. My apologies, it was both interesting and boring at the same time. I mean, sure it felt like slums and like a city which had been active and restructured several dozen times. But on the other hand, it all kinda blurred into one bit lump in my awareness as I ran through it dodging Afflicted. Or, later, Ministry.

Doh! You’re right, it wasn’t Divinity’s Reach, it was Divinity’s Coast. Oopsies. That sucks! And here I was thinking I was pretty solid on the lore of GW. Oh well.

I agree though, navigating KC was a pain. I still got lost, turned around, completely going the wrong way etc…almost 7 years in. It took a really long amount of time for me to personally appreciate KC as a whole, but I really understand where you come from. The old Afflicted were annoying, and amazingly, pretty solid due to their Ritualists and Monks even if they were running a Smite/Prot hybrid. The updated ones made me want to QQ while finally finishing Cartographer. Even in NM those darn things were pretty tough for Sabway since their Necros could steal Minions ( was never a fan of Discordway ). Luckily I finished prior to PO’ing the Ministry, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have even finished.

I think the area in Factions that has me most excited to see redone, is probably Shing Jea Island, and the Jade Sea. I was always partial to Luxons, and hardly sided with the Kurzicks. While the art was nice for Echovald, I loved the Jade Sea because of all the eye candy it held ( old ships stuck in the water, huge waves that were about to crash into things, and I think it was a squid stuck in the Jade in one of the maps ). I just thought it was a work of genius lol.

Can you imagine what the jumping puzzles in that area would be like? Imagine what the actual area could potentially be tbh, it’s alluring to think about. As such, the Tengu influence from the Dominion of the Four winds probably still around there somewhere (as the land USED to be theirs). I mean, does anyone else remember the whole headmaster stint? :P The temple itself has probably been built and destroyed over again- Orr rising from the depths probably affected it just as it LA and the rest of the Tarnished coast and the Sea of Sorrows.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

You totally have my attention now. I remember all these roofs and amazing mazes of streets. I always got lost in Kaineng.

Aaaand just like that, at the prospect of having to see Kaineng City again, I’m not behind this idea. No, seriously, I really was not fond of that part of Factions, I was more a fan of the stone forests which were slowly recovering and the sea which was turned into solid jade.

Kaineng City, assuming there even is one anymore, would most likely be vastly different. We’re talking 200+ years different. Just like LA, Divinity’s Reach, and all other areas that have changed drastically in one way or another. I doubt the ole’ Hong Kong slums would be even there. It wasn’t my favorite part either, but it did look very much like Kowloon, and I enjoyed it simply because of that.

Either way, Cantha as a whole is a much different place than what we know about it from Guild Wars Factions. Echovald is de-petrified, and the Jade Sea isn’t so jaded anymore. All-and-all, I, and possibly millions of other players would be greatly disappointed if Cantha’s not revisited. It’s just too big to write off like that.

200+ years ago, Divinity’s Reach didn’t exist But I do get your point . . . my point was that people imagining freerunning the slums as awesome was not as appealing to me. I mean, I do like my jumping puzzles from time to time.

But I really don’t like that spot. My apologies, it was both interesting and boring at the same time. I mean, sure it felt like slums and like a city which had been active and restructured several dozen times. But on the other hand, it all kinda blurred into one bit lump in my awareness as I ran through it dodging Afflicted. Or, later, Ministry.

Doh! You’re right, it wasn’t Divinity’s Reach, it was Divinity’s Coast. Oopsies. That sucks! And here I was thinking I was pretty solid on the lore of GW. Oh well.

I agree though, navigating KC was a pain. I still got lost, turned around, completely going the wrong way etc…almost 7 years in. It took a really long amount of time for me to personally appreciate KC as a whole, but I really understand where you come from. The old Afflicted were annoying, and amazingly, pretty solid due to their Ritualists and Monks even if they were running a Smite/Prot hybrid. The updated ones made me want to QQ while finally finishing Cartographer. Even in NM those darn things were pretty tough for Sabway since their Necros could steal Minions ( was never a fan of Discordway ). Luckily I finished prior to PO’ing the Ministry, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have even finished.

I think the area in Factions that has me most excited to see redone, is probably Shing Jea Island, and the Jade Sea. I was always partial to Luxons, and hardly sided with the Kurzicks. While the art was nice for Echovald, I loved the Jade Sea because of all the eye candy it held ( old ships stuck in the water, huge waves that were about to crash into things, and I think it was a squid stuck in the Jade in one of the maps ). I just thought it was a work of genius lol.

Can you imagine what the jumping puzzles in that area would be like? Imagine what the actual area could potentially be tbh, it’s alluring to think about. As such, the Tengu influence from the Dominion of the Four winds probably still around there somewhere (as the land USED to be theirs). I mean, does anyone else remember the whole headmaster stint? :P The temple itself has probably been built and destroyed over again- Orr rising from the depths probably affected it just as it LA and the rest of the Tarnished coast and the Sea of Sorrows.

Oh yeah, I’m 99% sure that place would be a Jumping Puzzle-lovers dream come true.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Jumping puzzles in the Jade sea area would be either on islands or in underwater caves? If I am correct the jade sea was turning back into water right?

Posted by: Skaan.1423

Skaan.1423

Echovald Forest could make for a very interesting zone aswell. Imagine being able to climb all those huge trees. The zone could also have different layers (like ground level, mid-tree level, and in some rare places even exploring the canopy)

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Not before Elona desert.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Where is my Cantha? Where is Elona for that matter?

It is terribly sad that Anet couldn’t include these continents on release. I mean they are present on GW1 so why are they not on GW2 standard? Seems like they took a step backward or didn’t have the time to finish the game.

Its like they never existed!

Posted by: romgav.9471

romgav.9471

i didn’t play GW1 but i’ve been reading/watching about its lore recently… GW2 is amazing and it would be even more amazing if the areas and lore in GW1 can be revisited (and updated!) for us GW2 players! reward the loyal and hardcore fans, introduce us new players to Tyria’s expanded history! make this epic thing come true! bring back Cantha! <3 thank you Anet!

“do what you love and do it often”

(edited by romgav.9471)

Copestetic.5174

i didn’t play GW1 but i’ve been reading/watching about its lore recently… GW2 is amazing and it would be even more amazing if the areas and lore in GW1 can be revisited (and updated!) for us GW2 players! reward the loyal and hardcore fans, introduce us new players to Tyria’s expanded history! make this epic thing come true! bring back Cantha! <3 thank you Anet!

If I were you, I’d buy a cheap copy of Factions. In all honesty, you’re missing out. Even to date, the graphics ( on high ) are really good, and the scenery blows you away. It’s worth the 20 bucks, and is a great diversion for a week ( if you’re casual ) and 2-3 days if you’re really pushin’ it.

Posted by: Calsifer.6079

Calsifer.6079

NO! We can’t let this thread die! We want Cantha!

Ninja Stokk – Thief. CD.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

NO! We can’t let this thread die! We want Cantha!

31 pages and no confirmation. Posting my support once again for Cantha to return.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I don’t think I want Cantha in GW2 any more. I’d rather not see it trashed, and that’s exactly what I expect today’s anet would do to it. I’m not talking about how it would look; I’m sure it would look great. But the lore… the story… everything else…

At this point, I think it would be best to just leave Cantha – and Elona – alone. Leave them in the old game, where we can revisit them when we feel nostalgic. I believe we’d all be happier with our fond memories of those wondrous places unsullied by some ill-conceived, half-baked, wham bam thank you ma’am Living World update.

This is, of course, only my opinion, as formed during the course of GW2’s first year and delivered upon the eve of GW2’s first anniversary.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Thighum.7295

Thighum.7295

I really want both Cantha and Elona added into the game. Hopefully, they are just saving Cantha for after the game is launched in China. Then they’d be able to say “Look at all of the cool asian stuff we added in celebration of gw2 coming to China!” <- would probably be pretty awesome marketing.

Copestetic.5174

I really want both Cantha and Elona added into the game. Hopefully, they are just saving Cantha for after the game is launched in China. Then they’d be able to say “Look at all of the cool asian stuff we added in celebration of gw2 coming to China!” <- would probably be pretty awesome marketing.

Unless Cantha is still a mix-and-mash of the three “major” Asian cultures ( Japan, S.Korea and China ). Then the QQ’ing would be on!

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

Interesting link: Into The Pixel 2013 Winners – ArenaNet Teases Something Big
http://www.awesome-robo.com/2013/06/into-pixel-2013-winners-arenanet-teases.html

Now in it’s tenth year, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) and The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) just announced this years lineup of winning pieces for their yearly Into The Pixel competition, which honors the best art from professional concept artists in the industry. Featuring a mix of production art and game concepts I was intrigued to find a winning piece among the entries for a completely unannounced title, the above piece from Daniel Dociu, the art director of Arenanet and Guild Wars 2. Titled ‘Crossroads,’ the piece is attached to an unannounced project, featuring an impossibly vertical futuristic city with a distinctly Asian flair.

Attachments:

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Cantha would be cool in a 1920’s / steampunk style.

Motorized boats, cars, phones…

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Laryakan.1684

Laryakan.1684

As I remember, ArenaNet always said that Cantha and Elona would be reachable in GW2. The real question is: When ?
Because we know why we can’t go here.

We can’t go to Cantha because :
- Zaithan fleet is in the Sea of Sorrow NO MORE
- The Deep Sea Dragon is somewhere

(For Elona : Kralkatorrik is is the Cristal’s Desert)

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

Cantha would be cool in a 1920’s / steampunk style.

Motorized boats, cars, phones…

You mean like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TheywPWInTI
Check out that shield throw (Engineer shield skill 5) at 2:53, lol.

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

About the new Zodiac weapon skins…They are based on the old Zodiac weapons that only dropped in GW1, Factions, elite missions: Urgoz’s Warren and The Deep.

Can this be viewed as a good sign to a future Cantha!?
Or are they giving us this kind of things just to make us happier, knowing that Cantha will never be done?
What you guys think?

I highlited the line I think :/

With basically leaving no weapon skins for a Canthan expansion, I feel no hope…

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I’m thinking that I’d just rather see them make an entirely new game, and that could be in Cantha. I don’t think I want to see my beloved Cantha in GW2, as an expansion, or otherwise.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Korea, China, and Japan all have major issues with each other. While stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, we were always told not to talk about China or S.Korea with Japanese Civilians. Basically, they all dislike ( putting it lightly ) each other because of past war crimes, namely in WWII.

And this doesn’t happen in Europe, since we’re all a big loving family with no past incidents on the scale of WWII… oh wait.

I never implied that at all. Please, don’t put words in my mouth. Was Europe the inspiration of the Factions campaign? No.

But prophecies (and lot of gw2, or MMO’s in general) do run on such european cultural mix. I just don’t buy it that this is not a problem, but doing exactly the same with asian cultures somehow is.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Draven.7210

Draven.7210

Take my money! I would pay so~ much ridiculous money for a full on Factions 2.0 here in Guild Wars 2! :O

Prophecies was good, but man did Factions bring me so hard into the game. It wasn’t even the asian style of it. It was just so kitten awesome. The forests, the Jade sea…beautiful and so atmospheric! I really loved Assassin and Ritualist as well!

Please ANet! You know you want! You know we want it! You know we want you to know we want it cuz you know you want us to want it and you’ll want it more too!

Posted by: Mist.6217

Mist.6217

Would love to see Cantha come back. It is where I met some very good friends and also where I was introduced to my now wife. Please bring it back!

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

About the new Zodiac weapon skins…They are based on the old Zodiac weapons that only dropped in GW1, Factions, elite missions: Urgoz’s Warren and The Deep.

Can this be viewed as a good sign to a future Cantha!?
Or are they giving us this kind of things just to make us happier, knowing that Cantha will never be done?
What you guys think?

I highlited the line I think :/

With basically leaving no weapon skins for a Canthan expansion, I feel no hope…

Sadly, i agree with you also. IMHO it’s signs that they have no intention to make Cantha!

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Many developers at this point have come out and publicly mentioned their wishes and intentions to go to Cantha. I guess it’s more a matter of when, and most importantly – how?

I’m definitely on board with people wanting to see the forest de-petrified, and the jade sea melted would be pretty neat as well although I’m curious what they would be doing to bring us to the Jade Sea at that point. I think it’s vital that Cantha keeps it’s oriental culture both visually and structurally. Whether or not they’ve advanced or not makes little difference to me. I just wanna go back and I want to go back to the places I loved from GW1 and for at least a chunk of Cantha to be unchanged.

Copestetic.5174

http://www.awesome-robo.com/2013/06/into-pixel-2013-winners-arenanet-teases.html

Now in it’s tenth year, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) and The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) just announced this years lineup of winning pieces for their yearly Into The Pixel competition, which honors the best art from professional concept artists in the industry. Featuring a mix of production art and game concepts I was intrigued to find a winning piece among the entries for a completely unannounced title, the above piece from Daniel Dociu, the art director of Arenanet and Guild Wars 2. Titled ‘Crossroads,’ the piece is attached to an unannounced project, featuring an impossibly vertical futuristic city with a distinctly Asian flair.

As much as that looks like a snapshot of a modern Asian city, I don’t think it’s related to Cantha. It looks a little too modern to me. Or at least, it doesn’t quite fit with how I personally have viewed Cantha after 250 years. Sure, it could potentially be more advanced than Tyria since they seemed to have the better end of the deal against dragons and all, but I can’t see them being like a 1950’s steampunk Tokyo vs Tyria that’s like, early 1400’s?

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

As much as that looks like a snapshot of a modern Asian city, I don’t think it’s related to Cantha. It looks a little too modern to me. Or at least, it doesn’t quite fit with how I personally have viewed Cantha after 250 years. Sure, it could potentially be more advanced than Tyria since they seemed to have the better end of the deal against dragons and all, but I can’t see them being like a 1950’s steampunk Tokyo vs Tyria that’s like, early 1400’s?

If that’s what they’re making modern day Cantha to be, I say “YES PLEASE!”

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If that’s what they’re making modern day Cantha to be, I say “YES PLEASE!”

If that was really the picture of current cantha, then it would mean we wouldn’t be seeing it anytime soon. We wouldn’t want Canthans to show up in tyria and just nuke all the remaining elder dragons in first battle, would we?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

You can easily have a mixture of architecture like we did before, just separate them by areas. Empires are usually a collection of cultures conquered by one culture anyway. It would be a little more work than having them all mixed in the same area but in the end we would still have the Cantha we all loved from the first expansion.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Posted by: Deathwalker.6810

Deathwalker.6810

Without ourselves knowing the true situation and full extent of the decision, maybe we players shouldn’t fill in the blanks with “NCSoft Overlords perma-banned Cantha!?!?” I for one will try to stay open and keep hoping!

Indeed. I’ve been in this industry for 16 years and worked with a several publishers including Interplay, Sierra, THQ and now NCSoft. And for what it’s worth, the amount of creative freedom that NCSoft gives ArenaNet is MASSIVE compared to the others. NCSoft is crazy successful for a reason. They recognize the talent here and support us with a very hands-off policy in general. They give us a LOT of feedback and data to work with, but I’ve never got the impression that they are overlords like I have with the other publishers I’ve worked under.

Here’s the thing with this quote. I like the idea of it, I like what it has in mind. However, I take it with a grain of salt. This is simply because even if NCSoft was the strictest company imaginable, I really doubt a developer would do anything but praise it on the publicly viewable forums. It’s understandable, if I were a dev, I wouldn’t want to do anything that risks my job, but it leaves this quote in question.

This being said,
I fear that NCSoft or whatever other entity, possibly within ANet itself, dismissing the idea is rather at a disconnect from these forums, simply because whatever comes from them is a rough idea – It’s really hard to estimate what proportion of the population agrees with the whole Cantha idea from just this forum – This isn’t to say that this forum shouldn’t be here, and that we should not keep trying this methodology, as it at least gives awareness to the issue to a larger sect of the GW2 population – it simply means that other means might not be a bad idea. There was a petition mentioned earlier – this is a good idea, because it gives a minimum cut-off of supporters, and is at least slightly more tangible data. Of course, we need more people to sign that, but if we rally our people, our guilds, our sheer numbers, that can easily, easily happen.

It’s really as simple as signing.

Another way to help is to simply suggest ideas. This shows developers and anyone else with access to the forums that we really, really are serious about Cantha, rather than just saying that we are serious about Cantha.

I have one in particular that I think can work pretty well – Integrate parts of Cantha into the WvW schematic as maps as well as the normal PvE story.

I have a feeling that a lot of the things that exist in Cantha can make for excellent use in WvW (In fact, I think someone mentioned earlier that they don’t need golems, they want siege turtles!) and the Jade Sea and the Echovald Forest can make interesting maps, especially with the stronger vertical dimension capabilities in gw2 (imagine a zerg coming down from the trees, or setting up ACs and other siege there!)

Perhaps the narrow canyonlike nature of Kaineng can make for an interesting challenge as well, as there would be all sorts of choke points that could be used in narrow alleyways, plus all sorts of places for mesmers to hide.

Another thing we can do is simply be creative. Hold Cantha Lore parties in places like LA or other towns. Maybe Cantha quizzes with fun and prizes, really show that supporting Cantha can be fun and something others want to do.

This being said, I do not see Cantha as simply just a matter of “we either get it, or we don’t.” Many people have already mentioned how integral Cantha is to the lore of the game, and I can’t help but agree. However, its meaning has become more than that.

The Battle for Cantha now represents the strength of the GW2 population to advocate for a positive outlook, in a positive way.

By continuing to post here –
By inviting others to do the same –
…and above all, to never falter nor give up,
I feel that we, as the GW2 community can help bring back Cantha, and all the wonders within, back to life.
And I understand some people’s pessimism – but is that reason not to try? Even a footstep can begin our journey to Cantha.

Grubs are good.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I posted my theory about it earlier in this thread.

I believe that in the 250 years since the Winds of Change and the Canthan Purge, the Canthans, including the Luxons and Kurzicks, settled their wars and utilizing the technology from the Kaineng Asura Gate they disassembled, exploded into a huge age of technology, secluded from the outside world while the rest of Tyria stayed in the dark ages, so to speak.

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

Isolationist policies usually result in the opposite, where the isolated nation is left behind by the rest of the world.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

Isolationist policies usually result in the opposite, where the isolated nation is left behind by the rest of the world.

Exactly, Isolationist policies are anti-evolution by nature!
But we can’t follow pure logic in a Fictional game…can’t we?!:)

In the end we just don’t know about how a “modern Catha” would be this days!
That would be in the “God’s secrets” until they decide to tell us!

About that “futuristic Asian” City pic some one posted before:
– Just hated!!!!! What is happening with you guys? Just passed 250 years…not 2500!!!
A “Bloodrunner” the movie, Style Cantha will never work!!

(edited by Draconicus.7564)

Posted by: phiplayer.2865

phiplayer.2865

Ha… We are coming to 100k views

Ranger pet needs mechanic changes.

Posted by: niki king.3904

niki king.3904

im gonna write again to show my support for cantha and elona this 2 continets were great.shing jae island was my favourite place in the whole guild wars 2 and the morbid story of nightfall was just brilliant.I also hope they will return old classes like dervish,ritualist,paragon.

Pls ANET we need cantha and elona.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

False, actually. The U.S. had an isolationist policy up until World War II when we were forced out of seclusion due to the attack on Pearl Harbor, and was the fastest progressing nation in the world both industrially and artistically. Cantha could be the same way, opened up by the rise of Bubbles who guards the Unending Ocean.

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

I loved Shing Jea Island, but all that cluttered city part was much less appealing.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

i imagine they will finish introducing the maps of tyria before they add in cantha. though the lore doesn’t make sense because if cantha is isolated because of zhaitan, and zhaitan has been dead for a year and we also have airships, then ?????

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

Posted by: coryorth.5289

coryorth.5289

The one reason Cantha hasn’t been made or commented on (And the district removed) is because of NCsoft and their concerns about the mixing of cultural designs.
One of the questions that should be asked is who did NCsoft really speak to about this?
When China gets Guild Wars 2. I want the same questions asked to their community. Show them Cantha. Show them the screenshots from the Canthan district that got removed and ask them “Does these structures bother you in any way?”

So I don’t know how it can be done. Whether or not China has a reddit. But if it can be done. I’d like to shove the polls in NCsofts and Anets face and say “Look how many people don’t care. Make Cantha already.”

(edited by coryorth.5289)

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

I have this | much hope Cantha will be made.

That’s actually two lines. There’s just zero space between them.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

False, actually. The U.S. had an isolationist policy up until World War II when we were forced out of seclusion due to the attack on Pearl Harbor, and was the fastest progressing nation in the world both industrially and artistically. Cantha could be the same way, opened up by the rise of Bubbles who guards the Unending Ocean.

That was only a kind of political isolationism, where the US chose not to involve itself in foreign affairs. It was still heavily dependent on trade – otherwise, the Great Depression wouldn’t have affected the rest of the world.

If it were completely incommunicado like Cantha is, the US would probably not have out-developed the rest of the world – you’re basically competing on relative sizes of economy and investment in science – where the smaller fraction of humanity is at an automatic disadvantage.

Of course… even counting other races… it’s possible that Cantha actually has the upper hand in the world of Tyria. There are also other, more deus-ex-machina, explanations you could pull out of the hat.

I still wouldn’t assume Daniel Dociu’s art piece actually means anything, though. We’ve seen a “futuristic” (or at least close to modern-day) work from him before, which was in fact a GW2 piece, but the explanation from ArenaNet was that it was more for sense of scale purposes than to illustrate actual content. Perhaps this is in a similar vein; or perhaps it’s for a different game outside of ArenaNet.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: JGBarbarian.3579

JGBarbarian.3579

Bad example, the Canthan isolation is more along the lines of the Edo period in Japan.

Posted by: CookieNoodle.6503

CookieNoodle.6503

Rumors told me that there will be no expansion or update where the player can travel to Cantha? Why?!?!?!?!
Honesty, it’s a favoured continent with so much history and mystery by the time of GW2. Players would LOVE to explore this continent, just as they would love exploring Elona. Not only the GW1 players but new ones too, so this strucked me as a big mistake if it is true. Please, add Cantha. We wanna know what happened and how it looks today!

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Before EotN came out Anet back then said they didn’t want to add more continents because it would just make the world bigger and bigger and the population too spread out. When they announced GW2 was in the make. This argument was repeated.

But we know that the people who worked there then are generally not the people who are there now. There are indications going in both directions. Anet doesn’t really want to commit to whether or not there will ever be an expansion. They say it’s unlikely but that doesn’t mean no.

There are also indications that maybe or maybe not cantha will be brought back. Who knows really?

What I am thinking is that they are releasing GW2 in China shortly. That will bring lots of cash in for them hopefully and then 6 months to a year after that might be the time to reconsider an expansion idea.

Personally, I don’t know if they will or not…but if they do, I wouldn’t expect it in the next year or so.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Nothing is certain as to whether Cantha (and Elona, for that matter) will be returning.

However, they haven’t been completely ruled out.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Shew.6827

Shew.6827

Looking forward to the day when the living story connects us to Cantha. Or, you know, when we flat out get Cantha!

Copestetic.5174

Looking forward to the day when the living story connects us to Cantha. Or, you know, when we flat out get Cantha!

No kidding. I’d feel like a little kid stepping foot back into Shing Jea Monastery after 250 years. I doubt I’d ever leave, other than exploring the rest of the continent.

Posted by: Dark FQ.1038

Dark FQ.1038

I’d love to see Cantha back in Gw2 , Factions was my personal favorite expansion from gw1 . I’d love to see Echovald Forrest again in a newer Engine.

Dark Fq (Desolation and Gandara)all classes condi. http://www.youtube.com/user/FQDark

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

TheDaiBish.9735
Nothing is certain as to whether Cantha (and Elona, for that matter) will be returning.
However, they haven’t been completely ruled out.

Zadorojny interview referred to by TheDaiBish:
He further stressed that the game has added what he considers to be an entire region’s worth of content since its launch,

I hope Zadorojny is not implying that “an entire region’s worth of content” is the same as adding a new expansion because it clearly is not. An expansion is content around a new zone (usually) with a related theme and new quests, races, mobs, skills, areas to explore, etc. I’m thinking of Eye of the North and how that was a lot more fun to play than an equivalent amount of content that was distributed in bits and pieces here and there.

I can’t believe that Crystal Desert, Elona, and Cantha aren’t at the top of their list of priorities in developing new content for GW2. This game was suppose to keep everything we loved about the original game. Surely we loved more than just the first campaign. Please bring back those areas to GW2.

Posted by: Nevren.6105

Nevren.6105

Throwing in my support for Cantha. My main in GW1 was Canthan and carried a lot of pride with that. Was hoping for content regarding Cantha when I ran across this thread. Let’s see it return!