The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Dear Arena Net,

If you are going to bring Cantha to Guild Wars 2 please use Guild Wars Factions soundtracks like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I17ZUalbY9s. This will evoke nostalgia.

Same love that music!

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

not read every post but I would just like to say:

A Guild Wars game without Cantha is not a Guild Wars game.

The shock of Togo dying, the beauty, the darkness, the Jade Sea and Shing Jea.

I am sure Anet know they couldn’t have Tyria, without having Cantha. Guild Wars factions was the best of them all and so many players got hooked on GW after playing it.

Cantha will return, but if I had to choose, Elona could have sunk into the ocean, annoying game that one

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Posted by: bartrentenaar.8674

bartrentenaar.8674

If they bring Cantha and Elona back, which I really hope, they should make it recognizable. And not make it entirely different from what it was. And they should definitely build it around one big villain and not 20 minor villains. GW 2 was supposed to be centered around the dragons, well we fought Zhaitan and that’s it. Even that boring Scarlet seems to have more impact and influence on the world.

(edited by bartrentenaar.8674)

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

100k views wow, GO CANTHA!

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

Attachments:

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Where would Cantha be located on the map?

Here is a picture of the world. The top square is Tyria, where we are now. The middle square is Elona. The bottom square is Cantha.

Attachments:

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

IF you bring cantha, don’t make us grind from level 1-80. kitten leveling altogether.

Why would you have to start a new char for Cantha?

IMO the only possible playable races that would have starter zones in Cantha would be human and tengu.

Their personal stories would be completely different from Tyria’s personal story and this is what is going to be super hard to implement. Things such as knowing when to crossover to the original story of fighting Zhaitan would be difficult to decide.

IMO I would rather have a personal story where you are rebelling against the current Emperor in Cantha.

If cantha brings new classes… you’ll need a new character.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Lonesamurai.4852

Lonesamurai.4852

Where would Cantha be located on the map?

Here is a picture of the world. The top square is Tyria, where we are now. The middle square is Elona. The bottom square is Cantha.

Great attachment, been looking for that map all week

Owner and GW2 DJ, Sanitarium.FM
Guild Leader – Wolf Pack Samurai
Owner and admin, The Guild-Hall2.net

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Bumping the thread.

People have been asking for Cantha for over a year now and yet still… nothing.
Quite sad they’re ignoring their loyal fan base so much.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Lets see it already. I want to see the rest of this world again.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Floreum.3684

Floreum.3684

I remember I bought prophecies, I wasn’t too into it. But then I did the Faction free trial weekend and was amazed, I pre-ordered it, (EB games sucks and I missed the head start event! )

But I love the theme of Cantha, the over populated city, the echovald forest, the jade sea… was so fun to explore. I’d love to see all that again once day, even though the Jade Sea I hear is no longer Jade.

With the Zephyr living story, I felt like it was a very light taste of Cantha, but I loved it.
Bring on Cantha!

Lonesamurai.4852

What gets me is that we had Factions a year after prophecies release

Ok, I know the campaigns are what hurt ANet with GW1, but would be good if they TOLD us they were working on Cantha, Elona and more

Posted by: Jgr.8765

Jgr.8765

Boom! <3 Cantha

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Hey all, Wanted to provide you the map of Tyria with the 3 “Continents” from the Guild Wars 1 Era. This is the same map Astral posted but larger and with better quality.

Respects go to “That Shaman”

Attachments:

Posted by: dejavu.5031

dejavu.5031

Well lets be real, there are 5 races now in GW2, its not about only humans anymore. Did we see any charr or asura or norn in Cantha and elona? I cant imagine that 5 races suddenly decide to migrate to cantha in 250 years. Sure I would like to see cantha again, BUT a big BUT, I would rather see new areas with new lore .

250 years is 2 centuries and a half, in real life in that time period many countries saw plenty of new races immigrating from their native countries, specially war refugees. Now back to the plot I can definitely see the citizens of tyria (all races) trying to leave to other continents running away from the catastrophes. The grass always look greener on the other side.

I survived the Searing, died and was ascended, ended the affliction plague, killed a God and
saw the dwarfs turn into stone, AMA!

Posted by: dejavu.5031

dejavu.5031

The Deep & Urgoz’s Warren enough said. but here is a paragraph from gw1 wiki.

“The Empire of the Dragon is the sole human nation on the southern continent and it shares its second name with the continent it was founded on. Despite the Kurzicks and Luxons being vassals of the empire, the two factions are hardly bothered by the empire and its demands. The Empire of the Dragon is currently the oldest known human nation.

The empire was formed by the warlord Kaineng Tah when he united the coastal tribes on the continent. Records claim that he was given a message by the Gods of Tyria. When he was killed, his son, Yian Zho took the throne and waged war on the Luxons and later Kurzicks, subjugating them to mass executions until they surrendered into becoming vassals.
The defeat of Shiro Tagachi ended the plague that had afflicted Cantha. However, it took adventurers and members of the imperial guard a few grueling years to track down all of the Afflicted and the remnants of the Shiro’ken army that the Betrayer had unleashed in his final attempt to destroy the empire.
Over the past few years, life has begun to spring up in Echovald Forest as many areas have seen new growth take hold. Some even claim to have seen a change in the Jade Sea—small pools of water forming or even waves moving beneath the frozen surface—but these reports are unsubstantiated rumors at best.
Life has returned to normal for most Canthan residents. Kaineng still struggles under the burdens of bureaucracy, overpopulation, and crime, while the Kurzicks and Luxons remain locked in a never-ending battle over scant resources. Shing Jea Island remains an oasis of pristine valleys and beautiful vistas. Monks come to the island regularly for scholarly pursuits, while the general populace descends in droves for every festival held within the safe confines of Shing Jea Monastery.
Commerce returned to a brisk pace once the Affliction ended, and since then, many Canthans have sought to re-establish old trade routes to Elona and Kryta as well as locate new opportunities farther north. However, recent reports of earthquakes and giant cracks opening in the middle of urban Cantha have some believing this time of relative peace and prosperity has now come to an end."

[img]http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/9/99/Afflicted_Ranger.jpg[/img]

Source:http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Cantha#Trivia

I survived the Searing, died and was ascended, ended the affliction plague, killed a God and
saw the dwarfs turn into stone, AMA!

(edited by dejavu.5031)

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I don’t have a problem with those two screenies, if that’s what Kaineng City is going to look like. My only issue with the original Kaineng was that I usually got lost because the paths through the zones was so convoluted.

If there hadn’t been quests in the Undercity, for example, I probably would’ve never known it existed. Even with the quest markers on my mini-map, it took me forever to find that place the first time.

Bumping the thread.

People have been asking for Cantha for over a year now and yet still… nothing.
Quite sad they’re ignoring their loyal fan base so much.

I honestly don’t think they’re ignoring us on this one.

They responded to these threads a long time ago saying that they do want to bring Cantha back, but that they had to work out how to do so without infringing on any of the restrictions that are placed on NCSoft. Supposedly because it’s a Korean company, and something to do with ‘representing Asian cultures’, but I never saw an understandable explanation as to what the actual restriction was.

I believe that they’re still working on bringing Cantha back, they just don’t have anything more to tell us right now. Honestly, if the restrictions on NCSoft are legal-related, it’s possible that they aren’t allowed to tell us anything more until they reach an agreement.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

TDLR; Cantha is a mix between different cultures and someone who, at that time, worked for NCsoft didn’t like that so they scrapped the idea for Cantha at that moment.

Why does racism like this still exist in 2013?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

This tread will never die .We wont let go off Cantha!

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

As an Asian, I would love to see American culture being portrayed in GW2 by a race and a city. It would be very entertaining to see Wild West cowboy tropes being perpetuated and adds to the diversity of the GW2 universe. Just saying.

Actually, I am also an Asian American and already had an idea for this. Maybe not with a whole new race but the idea of a new continent being discovered that functions as a parallel to early North American settlement with different races falling into different sub-cultural roles.

The Charr become parallels to the Spanish Conquistadors, Norn become early Canadian Settlers, Sylvari set up shop in the south eastern coast and become southern cotton and sugar barons (imagine a sylvari with a thick southern accent and in a white suit), humans become standard New England colonists, and Asura end up in the Not!Caribbean.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Elona Might come first, and I am ok with that. But to leave so much of the original world out just feels like a sham.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Hey all, Wanted to provide you the map of Tyria with the 3 “Continents” from the Guild Wars 1 Era. This is the same map Astral posted but larger and with better quality.

Respects go to “That Shaman”

That is one huge world and we onlyplay in a tiny portion of it. This map shows the ultimate potential of the whole world of Tyria.

Posted by: Vetrie.7804

Vetrie.7804

I have read somewhere, that Anet will do something about Cantha if people show enough interest. I guess we showed them alot of interest for expansion.

But. If that something is only new playable race ( Tengu most likely) and a little bit of story how they came to Tyria, I and many others will be disapointed.

Imo the game needs an expansion. Dont get me wrong. Living story is cool but it gets boring. Grinding achievements for a backpack and few new features. Nothing groundbreaking. Maybe Anet is afraid of putting smth huge into game?

Like that TA new path. I thought all dungeons will get a huge remake. Or they will add a new dungeon or atleast new path . But no, they replaced an existing path.

Little bit off topic there but still. Little changes wont help the game imo.

(edited by Vetrie.7804)

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Ok, I know the campaigns are what hurt ANet with GW1, but would be good if they TOLD us they were working on Cantha, Elona and more

Wait, what? First time I’ve heard this, the campaigns were bad for GW1?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

There was a person working at NCsoft who was Korean I believe, and he didn’t like that ArenaNet mixed cultures. That pretty much means that Cantha, and such, is a mix between Asian cultures, both Japan, China, Korean, etc.

TDLR; Cantha is a mix between different cultures and someone who, at that time, worked for NCsoft didn’t like that so they scrapped the idea for Cantha at that moment.

My story is not 100% correct, but it was something in those lines, about mixing cultures.

ANet originally tried hard to steer clear of anything obviously representative of real-life cultures with Cantha. While it’s clearly an “Asian” themed expansion, anything beyond that is fuzzy. I mean, the Kurziks were almost entirely Gothic in theme.

The problem lies in the fact that those few bits and pieces of content that could be traced back to some real-life examples were put in a huge spotlight. And having those pieces of various cultures mixed together presented a problem apparently. I don’t want to sound insulting or racist, at all, but there is something to be said for the different ways in which different cultures view themselves and each other.

East Asian nations and cultures have a huge history with each other, and much of that involves conflict and violence. I can understand that. For us Americans, we’re used to a melting pot, that isn’t the case so much over there. It’s a little like the Balkans or Palestine…it’s hard to get over centuries of animosity. Even if it’s just a silly video game.

There is one thing I really don’t get though. Why now?? I don’t remember this ever being a problem with GW1. What changed?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Lonesamurai.4852

Wait, what? First time I’ve heard this, the campaigns were bad for GW1?

Never said bad, Factions was my fave campaign (I miss my Ranger/Assassin)

But the way they came out hurt the playerbase, if they bought out more now, they should all be EXPANSIONS on top of the current GW", not stand alone campaigns like Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall were

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

“Guild Wars Factions is the second stand-alone campaign of Guild Wars, released on April 28, 2006 in North America.”
I am guessing Anet has been hiding the fact that they will be opening the gates to Cantha on April 28, 2014.
We have all been told it wont be but lets be honest, we all know its coming just 6 months to wait now =)

Posted by: Darcness.2408

Darcness.2408

This still ways on me lol- I just logged into Factions to visit Cantha again today and- I wandered to the temple just to explore a bit again. I imagined it ruined though- cause the sea dragon probably runs all kinds of hell on that .-. I sadly imagine a lot of Cantha in ruins right now that I think about it. But that give rise to- how does the rest of Cantha look like now? how did it fair against the other dragons?

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Wouldn’t really surprise me if ArenaNet has been working on a larger project in secret behind all the “Living Story” stuff – but I sort of expect an Elder Dragon or two ahead of Cantha in the queue. I guess this thread could have helped convince them to reorder their plans a bit though

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

So after 250 years and isolation, what would your reaction be if this is what Cantha looks like when you first step foot in it in Guild Wars 2?

http://i.imgur.com/IFUmLNJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NLg77f2.jpg

I’d be excited because I desperately want to go back to Cantha! I’m getting bored with our current locations now.

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

“Guild Wars Factions is the second stand-alone campaign of Guild Wars, released on April 28, 2006 in North America.”
I am guessing Anet has been hiding the fact that they will be opening the gates to Cantha on April 28, 2014.
We have all been told it wont be but lets be honest, we all know its coming just 6 months to wait now =)

GW2 is famouse about the failed high expectations. You should just forget Cantha and be happy if they bring it some years later.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

I’d rather fight him again than any dragon……
(picture of Kanaxai)

I want his axe for my warrior….

Shanna.4762

GW2 is famouse about the failed high expectations. You should just forget Cantha and be happy if they bring it some years later.

Um, what? This doesn’t really add anything constructive to the discussion on Cantha in GW2, it just adds unnecessary negativity. GW2 is not famous for failed expectations outside of the frustration with Ascended items when compared to the original “vision” of the game. But that’s another topic altogether. Several developers have stated their desire, and plans for Cantha content in the future, and that was months ago. We just have to wait and see how they go about doing it. It’s getting to be about time that they start to open new regions in the game, as it’s reached it’s 1st year post-launch.

(edited by Shanna.4762)

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

go Cantha! I’d be really happy if this comes to gw2.

There was a person working at NCsoft who was Korean I believe, and he didn’t like that ArenaNet mixed cultures. That pretty much means that Cantha, and such, is a mix between Asian cultures, both Japan, China, Korean, etc.

My story is not 100% correct, but it was something in those lines, about mixing cultures.

ANet originally tried hard to steer clear of anything obviously representative of real-life cultures with Cantha. While it’s clearly an “Asian” themed expansion, anything beyond that is fuzzy. I mean, the Kurziks were almost entirely Gothic in theme.

The problem lies in the fact that those few bits and pieces of content that could be traced back to some real-life examples were put in a huge spotlight. And having those pieces of various cultures mixed together presented a problem apparently. I don’t want to sound insulting or racist, at all, but there is something to be said for the different ways in which different cultures view themselves and each other.

East Asian nations and cultures have a huge history with each other, and much of that involves conflict and violence. I can understand that. For us Americans, we’re used to a melting pot, that isn’t the case so much over there. It’s a little like the Balkans or Palestine…it’s hard to get over centuries of animosity. Even if it’s just a silly video game.

There is one thing I really don’t get though. Why now?? I don’t remember this ever being a problem with GW1. What changed?

gw2 is a game. it is fiction. I dont get how it would have anything relate to real life that would make it a legal issue.

(edited by pho.9412)

Posted by: Night.2034

Night.2034

Hi !
I don’t know exactly where the thread led to, maybe the dev already decided to create a Canthan part in GW2 (or maybe not) but I need to add my opinon. I apologise for my english which is not perfect, it’s not my first language.
I don’t want this post to be another tear for Cantha, but I really think you should create a great canthan part in GW2. The atmosphere of GW Factions was amazing and every part of it was interesting (Shing Jea Island, Echovald Forest, Jade Sea and even the immense city of Kaineng were fabulous). You created an entire world with it’s own history and I think it would be sad to forget and throw it away. Of course, the GW2 canthan part can’t look like the GW one, 200 years has gone, but it’s possible to make a new Cantha, with the same asian influences and some little souvenir from the old one. Moreover, I’m sure lots of people would be delighted to remember the good old days and/or discover another world with a completely different culture than the Tyrian one. You’d lose something taking the decision to ignore Cantha, so please don’t !
Also, we don’t want a tiny and ridiculous content from Living World related to Cantha. Cantha deserves MORE !

This is only one message but if everybody do the same, maybe Arenanet will understand

First message

(edited by Night.2034)

Posted by: Hyperion.9654

Hyperion.9654

Honestly, I’m pretty much sick of the living story. It doesnt add much to the content of the game and in the end its just filler and ultimately goes to trash. Like grinding mad king’s labyrinth is pointless, its pretty much the same thing over and over again and the past few living stories have been pretty boring.The only thing Im afraid of with Cantha (if they ever do release it) is that it would end up like southsun cove which is a huge disappointment. But if Cantha is ever introduced, I feel pretty optimistic about it because the history of the continent is so deep and rich and it would feel like a waste to throw it all away.
Adding Cantha or any other continent would bring back a lot of the gamers who quit and bring back old GW1 players (like me). Hopefully they listen to the interests of the people.

(edited by Hyperion.9654)

Posted by: Hyperion.9654

Hyperion.9654

Oh yeah to those who have yet to learn about the lore of Cantha here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVuIZDdn80&list=PL00553A085339802C

Posted by: FoopOplo.7914

FoopOplo.7914

As a white American guy, I’m offended by the architecture of nearly every building in the game. It would sure be great if you could remove them all please.

I guess I just don’t get Asian culture or something but it makes no sense whatsoever to me. Please bring Cantha back!

Don’t play GUILD wars without a GUILD!

http://www.Vicarious-Gaming.enjin.com

Shanna.4762

I have to agree Hyperion, I’m getting a little bored of this living story thing because it never seems to ramp up into any big epic conclusion or open up the world much at all. It’s achievement farming which is fun for a couple of days, and then nothing really new after. Nothing that lasts, the only time that happened was when we got the new Isles which we’ve abandoned twice leaving settlers there with an incomplete settlement as they get relentlessly slaughtered by karka over and over again. And then the other time was the Captain’s council election, and we’ve yet to see an appearance from Kiel or really anyone from that series of updates all this time later.

Ultimately, we’re just flippantly skipping around all over the place instead of any truly cohesive plot. We see tiny connections here and there to sew them together, but nothing overly concrete. It’s definitely time for them to examine larger, meatier, and more significant updates. Where are all these updates they’ve mentioned several times over the past year? The ones that have been in development but are a secret that can’t be revealed yet? We can’t get any information at all? I want to go back to the iconic places from GW1. That’s Cantha, and Elona. I want to see the Isles of Janthir, I want to find out what happened to the White Mantle, I want to see really significant plots play out instead of fleeting moments that get jumbled in together with the other fleeting moments we’re experiencing.

There really is just not enough tying the two games together. They share the same world, some of the same cities, some of the same bloodlines/dynasty’s (IE: The Queen) etc but there’s little else making it a true sequel. It’s only been 250 years, not 2,500 and honestly you would think it were the latter at this rate.

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

I’d rather they take 1 of the 4 living story teams and have them work on something that matters and get less trash temp content. Such as idk, guild infrastructure, gvgs, alliances etc.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Kozume.9035

Kozume.9035

As a white American guy, I’m offended by the architecture of nearly every building in the game. It would sure be great if you could remove them all please.

I guess I just don’t get Asian culture or something but it makes no sense whatsoever to me. Please bring Cantha back!

If I remember right, Asian nations don’t really like having their cultures mixed around with those of other Asian nations. Mainly a China / Japan thing.

Not to say it isn’t really stupid and childish, because it is, but I’m pretty sure that’s why.

Honestly though, Elona was far better than Cantha. I’d only like Cantha if it wasn’t as dull as it was in GW1, which I doubt it would be if reimagined for this game.

(edited by Kozume.9035)

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

I love how this thread will never die. (not a bad thing)

Ranger | Elementalist

Posted by: Dying Infinity.4805

Dying Infinity.4805

I love how this thread will never die. (not a bad thing)

Me too
Please, please, please bring Cantha back! It had some of the most beautiful places in GW1, and I’d love to see how it would look in GW2 <3

Posted by: Xeypher.9203

Xeypher.9203

JUST GONNA THROW THIS OUT THERE! During Guild Wars 1 I didn’t get fully hooked until Factions came out and it was purely for the sheer awesomeness that was Kaineng City and the Jade Sea! Then Elona came out as well and they blew my mind away even more with another great continent!!!! Tyria COULD NOT stand up either of them in terms of beauty or fun and I spent almost all of my GW1 time in Cantha and Elona… PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE release both of these continents in GW2!!!

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Why spend time with Cantha instead of fixing the game, there are alot of things that work badly, so far i didnt notice anything inovative in this game so its way to soon to move to another continent.
LS or being a only DSP game is far from being a inovative thing its not new.

Before Cantha to do list:
- Bring back GvG
-Housing (Guildhalls) – pitty its an instanced zone and not like lineage 2 lol…
- Fix classes and better defined roles
- Fix/improve some game mechanics (know its never gona happen)

PS. as many players said before this game as a awesome history to be explored, yet it is not going on the good mmo way, instead is turning to a stale gameplay, the game looks like it is dedicated to tablet gammers who like daily achivements and get skins via $$$, and tablet games are all about that.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Original Ninja.4862

Original Ninja.4862

I would like to see cantha added, perhaps as its own expansion as most players are unsatisfied with the living story, as an actually story/lore subsitute. Cantha and the asian theme also add many possibilities for new classes and an expanded world with brand new story.

Nick.6972

Any updates on Cantha?
Have devs mentioned/talked about it recently?

Posted by: Darcness.2408

Darcness.2408

Not that I know of persay- .-. Could we get an update on that sometime??

Nick.6972

And yet they claim that they’ll be more open now about the development now.

Posted by: Jns.1059

Jns.1059

I’d rather fight him again than any dragon……

that guy was pretty crazy looking. the funny thing is that there arent even that many dragons to fight in gw2 lol. Id rather have cantha than more dragons.

Oh yeah. Bring back Cantha! And elite dungeons (with more than five players).