Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Where will the blogpost be? Main guildwars2.com page?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

better stats is better. even if it is a .01% increase, that will still be the maxed armor. exotics will become subpar.

everybody wants to max stuff. and for those who invested lots of gold/real cash in exotic armors for their character, this better stat ascended is bad news, unless there’s a way for them to convert their maxed exotics to ascended.

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Hi everyone,

We’re going to publish a blogpost about the new ascended items on the Guild Wars 2 website. This should answer most of the community’s questions before the content is live this weekend.

Thanks for your patience!

thanks so we can clean up these forums.

inb4 anet we love you cause we where totally wrong about ascended gear and but you know how mmo players are. we overreact and are impatient.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Posted by: Tyr.1965

Tyr.1965

Yes another person who gets it! GW2 is supposed to evolve!! Even though some people think this is ok.

This is an MMO! Things change good or bad. You have to accept it or leave. (And if you leave there isn’t one MMO out there that will have gear stay the same thru out it’s lifetime).

Why does the game have to evolve towards vertical progression when the game’s horizontal progression is the very thing that made it evolve past every other MMO on the market?

I swear the people defending this decision are probably the same crowd that cried on the WoW forums for change then jumped shipped to GW2 and are now crying for this game to become WoW. Stop ruining games with your flakiness.

Stop wanting the game to stay the same and never change. Go back to single player games if you don’t like it.

Changing the game’s entire philosophy all for the sake of change itself is a good way to alienate the majority of the player base that has been supporting ArenaNet since Guild Wars 1.

It sounds like you dont like the fact that this game doesnt offer vertical progression. If you don’t like it, why don’t you go back to any of the other MMO’s on the market?

Posted by: Azarul.2064

Azarul.2064

I have no problems with another tier level as long as its as easy to obtain as the exotics are now. The people saying go back to WoW are just idiots also, sorry but its true. In WoW without the highest tier you are at a big dissadvantage in high in raids. In GW2 its not like that, someone in all yellows can easily do just as good as exotics.

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

Hi everyone,

We’re going to publish a blogpost about the new ascended items on the Guild Wars 2 website. This should answer most of the community’s questions before the content is live this weekend.

Alright then. I will reserve judgement until reading and thinking very carefully about whatever is written therein.

I’ve thus far always been happy with ANet decisions regarding this game, and I hold out hope that I will be pleasantly surprised again today.

You guys should know though… this blog post could be the most important one you’ve ever released in the history of GW2, and may in fact determine the future success of this game.

No pressure! Good luck!

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

They give you something to work towards and you all take a temper tantrum. Nice to see the kinda people i’m playing along with.
What if this was in at launch would any of you complained that there was an extra tier of gear? NO!!!!!!

Actually we would because we don’t like vertical gear progression. Go back to Warcraft if that’s what you want.

Grow up and stop using the “Go back to Warcraft” crap. EVERY MMO uses vertical gear progression. At least I can’t think of one who doesn’t besides Guild Wars 2.

Just because YOU don’t like something doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. What about all the players who DO want it? Don’t you think they should have something they want also?

Maybe YOU shouldn’t play MMO’s?

Just because you like something doesn’t mean it should exist in every game. What about all the players that don’t like it. Are you that selfish that you must have the same thing in every game you play.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

better stats is better. even if it is a .01% increase, that still is the maxed armor now. your exotics are subpar now. everybody wants to max stuff. and for those who invested lots of gold/real cash in exotic armors for their character, this better stat ascended is bad news, unless there’s a way for them to convert their maxed exotics to ascended.

Nothing anywhere even mentions an increase in stats. More powerful can simply mean they make you more powerful against a particular mob… like the Karka… the new enemy the entire content update revolves around… which are invincible and players need to find a way to kill… through likely infused Ascended gear….

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

Yes another person who gets it! GW2 is supposed to evolve!! Even though some people think this is ok.

This is an MMO! Things change good or bad. You have to accept it or leave. (And if you leave there isn’t one MMO out there that will have gear stay the same thru out it’s lifetime).

Why does the game have to evolve towards vertical progression when the game’s horizontal progression is the very thing that made it evolve past every other MMO on the market?

I swear the people defending this decision are probably the same crowd that cried on the WoW forums for change then jumped shipped to GW2 and are now crying for this game to become WoW. Stop ruining games with your flakiness.

Stop wanting the game to stay the same and never change. Go back to single player games if you don’t like it.

I don’t think folks mind change, but changing a game to be like ‘every other game’ out there may get nauseating to some.

Some are tired of playing the same ol same ol perhaps, and thats why they came here.

Tyr.1965

I have no problems with another tier level as long as its as easy to obtain as the exotics are now. The people saying go back to WoW are just idiots also, sorry but its true. In WoW without the highest tier you are at a big dissadvantage in high in raids. In GW2 its not like that, someone in all yellows can easily do just as good as exotics.

We’re saying “go back to WoW” because its a more logical option for the vertical progression addicts than trying to force this game to be more like WoW.

Posted by: Mimaktorn.4769

Mimaktorn.4769

what’s the point of adding in a new tier of gear? more grind? seriously why would you do this? i chose to play this game to avoid the stats grinding i might just quit after this.

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

Well…
16 Pages
749 Replies
14,037 Views, in 4 hours…
At least we know the community is still very much alive and active for GW2
#alwaysasilverlining

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Posted by: Norb.4253

Norb.4253

I have no problem with this

tkalamba.2541

what’s the point of adding in a new tier of gear? more grind? seriously why would you do this? i chose to play this game to avoid the stats grinding i might just quit after this.

To fight the “nigh-invincible” Karka? there’s your point… makes you powerful against the new enemy that doesn’t die easily otherwise.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Hi everyone,

Merci!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Moon.7310

Moon.7310

Can’t believe you are really doing this. You are downgrading an amazing game to just another MMO where you have to run after new maximum gear every few months. Really don’t see why we need that now, and just because some players want it, does not mean all players want it. And I always believed GW1 was a succesfull game and it worked for seven years now without stupid changes to maximum gear.
You are just reducing the fun in playing and making it into a gear grind.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

Just because YOU don’t like something doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. What about all the players who DO want it? Don’t you think they should have something they want also?

Grinding is assuming you are no better than a horse chasing a carrot dangling from a stick in front of its face. Doing content you do not enjoy and in which you do not have fun just because it gives a shiny reward in the end is the same as lowering yourself to the level of a mindless animal.

I don’t know why so many players, who love traditional MMOs, fall for it. GW2 was being different in that it was dealing with their players as human beings. It appears players don’t want to be treated as human beings and instead see themselves more as mindless animals, but I’m still surprised that ArenaNet changed its mind so soon.

Grinding is bad. It’s bad design, and the fact it sells – or used to sell, considering how almost all recent MMOs have failed – doesn’t change how it’s bad design.

heh I had to LOL on this one!

So what are the point of Dungeons then? I take it you don’t like to run dungeons?
Thats all they are is a grind! A grind to get the gear you want. All of you complaining and who run dungeons are already doing the gear grind but you don’t even want to admit it. Just in this case you are grinding for looks and not stats.

If you don’t like dungeons then what do you do? Level alts? (Grinding levels?)
You like to craft? (Gotta grind for mats).

Next time you call people mindless animals maybe you should take a look in the mirror.

tkalamba.2541

Can’t believe you are really doing this. You are downgrading an amazing game to just another MMO where you have to run after new maximum gear every few months. Really don’t see why we need that now, and just because some players want it, does not mean all players want it. And I always believed GW1 was a succesfull game and it worked for seven years now without stupid changes to maximum gear.
You are just reducing the fun in playing and making it into a gear grind.

Its going to be exactly like in GW1. The Ascended gear was required to survive against the Mursaat. Now it is required to kill the karka… the enemy the new content revolves around… watch, the blog post will likely say this.

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

If we go with a tiered system… why would I play this game? I already have characters and accounts on a dozen (yea I been at this since 1999) MMO games that have the same kind of system. This game was suppose to be relaxed, casual and fun. No way to slip behind in gear.. drop in and play anytime.

If you become like everyone else.. You offer me nothing.

Posted by: Leandir.4310

Leandir.4310

The changes sound exciting to me. A shame so many people act ridiculously dramatic about it. I’ll look forward to the blogpost.

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Ever since I read this in the morning, I havent logged in. I just found it difficult to log in knowing that any gear I obtain on my main might be replaced in a few days.

Going to log in now, on my alts I’d imagine, but I haven’t had the urge to log in and obtain some dungeon gear today just because of this.

You play an MMO. MMO’s are about progression and additions. Stuff will change. If you haven’t figured this out by now, then I don’t think MMO’s are the type of game for you.

Not this MMO. Not verticle progression. If I wanted a gear treadmill I’ll do it via raiding. Not by simple fact of purchasing gear.

With that logic, why have gear at all?

This game is too big to not have something to do at level 80. Reward your level 80’s eventually. Playing barbie will only go so far.

Reward with what? Bigger numbers? Or making the game slightly easier to play?

Proponents of stat progression sure love throwing out the word “rewards” without explaining their meaning. If the reward is the ability to access certain content because you have gear that’s better than what others have, that means precisely the kind of elitism and gear grind that would put a lot of players off GW2, because that’s not the game they bought.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Tyr.1965

Grinding is assuming you are no better than a horse chasing a carrot dangling from a stick in front of its face. Doing content you do not enjoy and in which you do not have fun just because it gives a shiny reward in the end is the same as lowering yourself to the level of a mindless animal.

I don’t know why so many players, who love traditional MMOs, fall for it. GW2 was being different in that it was dealing with their players as human beings. It appears players don’t want to be treated as human beings and instead see themselves more as mindless animals, but I’m still surprised that ArenaNet changed its mind so soon.

Grinding is bad. It’s bad design, and the fact it sells – or used to sell, considering how almost all recent MMOs have failed – doesn’t change how it’s bad design.

So what are the point of Dungeons then? I take it you don’t like to run dungeons?
Thats all they are is a grind! A grind to get the gear you want. All of you complaining and who run dungeons are already doing the gear grind but you don’t even want to admit it. Just in this case you are grinding for looks and not stats.

Next time you call people mindless animals maybe you should take a look in the mirror.

It comes down to the incentive to grind. As it is now, people grind dungeons for different cosmetic looks. They could just as easily get the same quality gear through various other avenues. They grind dungeons because they WANT to, not because they are FORCED to like other MMO’s.

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Unless the blog post clarifies that “better” just means they have the same stats as Exotic weapons but you can double-jump to get through the new jumping puzzles, I’m out.

I mean I won’t throw a big entertaining rage-fit, but I will definitely stop playing the game. Guild Wars 2 already has too much vertical progression; if the trajectory of the game’s development is to add more instead of reducing what’s already there, then I’ve got better ways to spend my free time.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I’m pretty sure that the faction of people who prefer only visual updates in GW2 is much bigger than the guys who want to become more powerful. Now it seems the later ones are the more vocal ones… :-/

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I don’t like it. We were not supposed to have end game gear inflation, but here it is.

I’m going to speak a harsh truth. I love Arenanet and the game, but sometimes truth needs to be spoken to power.

The concept of cosmetic skins as incentive for dungeon “grind” was not an unreasonable alternative to stat inflation. The concept fell apart, however, due to two things:

1. Dungeons that were advertised as being non-grindy where made grindy at release. Running a dungeon a few times for skins was reasonable. Running a dungeon several dozen times for skins made the reward seem not worth the time investment.

2. (The Harsh part). Cosmetic Skins as incentive for “grind” relies heavily on said skins being worth the effort to acquire. Unfortunately, a very high percentage of dungeon armor skins are mediocre to horrible. The game and even a large percentage of armors show great artistic skill and aesthetic appeal. However, it seems that some of the artists tasked with making armor for the game were just no where near talented enough for the task. You can’t expect armor skins to provide incentive for grind when so many of those skins are just plain bad.

I guess adding gear inflation is a lot easier than finding artists talented enough to make armor skins actually worth grinding for, but I find it pretty sad. Here’s to hoping this is a band-aid approach and the plan does not rely on future gear inflation as the game moves forward.

Arenanet, please do what ever you need to do to get artists into the fold that can make armor skins people would actually want to work hard to earn. This would also benefit the gem store armor skin model as well, as the current offerings there are really not up to par either. (The light armor is horrible and the other two have unnecessary flaws).

Maybe even with awesome skins the community will demand gear inflation, I don’t know, but I do know that the “cosmetics as incentive” model didn’t really have much of a chance to succeed when more than half of the dungeon armors where pure kitten aesthetically!

(edited by Fiontar.4695)

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

They give you something to work towards and you all take a temper tantrum. Nice to see the kinda people i’m playing along with.
What if this was in at launch would any of you complained that there was an extra tier of gear? NO!!!!!!

Actually we would because we don’t like vertical gear progression. Go back to Warcraft if that’s what you want.

Grow up and stop using the “Go back to Warcraft” crap. EVERY MMO uses vertical gear progression. At least I can’t think of one who doesn’t besides Guild Wars 2.

Just because you like something doesn’t mean it should exist in every game. What about all the players that don’t like it. Are you that selfish that you must have the same thing in every game you play.

No I am perfectly fine with having both. I understand that people on both sides need something to do. From the gear grinders to people like yourself.

If a new gear comes out that gives better stats than exotic, then we have something new to work for. That equals something more to do in game. If you don’t want to do it, then you don’t have to. But for those of us who enjoy it, then why not?

We don’t even know what the stats are going to be like, so why freak out about it?

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

Bingo!! (in a sense)

running dungeons over and over and over to progress, is dull and tedious.

but lets check their blog, shall we?

Posted by: Dynheart.5402

Dynheart.5402

I’m just gonna say it.

The whole no gear progression thing worked for GW1. It was a small game with a low level cap…very VERY pvp based.

That will not fly here. GW2 is already losing numbers; and will continue to. There is nothing to do at level 80! Playing dress up only goes so far.

A gear treadmill would be where you are constantly powering up your gear (look at traditional MMOs). If Anet employs this every 3-6 months…How in the heck is that a treadmill (upgrading your armor every 3-6 months…or what ever is NOT a treadmill..geez)? For an actual gamer, that’s still slow as kitten. All the while, you’re still stuck at level 80.

This game will continue to lose more players if there’s isn’t anything to do on the PVE side of things. Right now, the end game is playing dress up…and I’m already done with that.

New skins? What if I don’t like them? Stuck waiting for the next batch.

For an actual gamer like me. I play lots of other games. Devoting months of play time to keep up with a gear curb is a nightmare for me. It becomes a job. During gw1 there were years of time I didn’t spend playing, but I could always pick the game back up and be with the best of the best. I didn’t have to grind badge gear so I can be told I needed t10 to do a t9 raid.

This is what I don’t get.

You run your dungeons, you get the gear. You would have anyway to gasp get the new skins! Which you guys where OK with anyway.

So we are OK with a meaningless skin grinds. But if they add stats to it, which are all static btw, once and awhile…shame on them!

People are comparing this to raids and whatnot. Most likely, this will take a little long that your usual exotic, with dungeon runs. You’re done in a week. Yay! Even the most hardcore of hardcore’s weren’t even fully geared in traditional MMO’s after few months in.

The difference? One is super casual. The other is a time investment/treadmill…feels like you’re going nowhere. Hence the reason the word was used. How treadmill is even used in GW2 is beyond me.

I kinda have a feeling this gear will be stupid easy to get…and everyone here will look like dummies for making a big deal over nothing. 6 months from now? Another upgrade? Good! I’m sick of feeling like I’m going nowhere in these games (meaning having nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs/chat to my guild). Grind for a week…get that set. /cheer

I remember reading threads that if they were to have gear progression, make it easy at least. Gear is stupid easy to get in this game. This new kitten? Probably the same.

Chrisiana Dynheart – Guardian
[FIRE] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: pixelrevision.5192

pixelrevision.5192

“Ascended armors are ‘slightly more powerful than exotics’ and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions”

Tread lightly Anet. A lot of us are still sticking with this game and have defended a lot of bugs and questionable content on the basis of not seeing the stat treadmill. I realize a ton of players are crying for more powerful rewards, but introducing a treadmill will:
1) Not make them happy they will have this stuff in 3 weeks and be crying for more/complaining about nothing to do.
2) A lot of your content is being trivialized by exotics already. Power creep will only push this further.
3) It will alienate a lot of us who are just sick of seeing this sort of thing in this genre and want to move on from that.

The thing that makes this game great to me is the fact that I can count on Ascalonian Catacombs being relevant as an activity in another year and that while I may want to make different decisions about my gear I am never “falling behind”. I understand you guys are having issues pushing people towards the content you want them to see but this is not the way. Strong creative direction and alternative itemization based on the same item budgets would be better places to start.

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

I think it would make perfect sense for them to implement gear that only works for these specific dungeons. How many people complain about the desire for gear progression? Give it to them in a segmented portion of the game while retaining the stat flat top of the rest of the game.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Seriously guys…

We don’t even know what this new “more powerful” gear means. Lets wait for the details of the actual change before we disagree/agree with it.

For those of you who played GW1, you would know you had to “Infuse” your armor so that you became resistant against one particular type of enemies (Mursaat). Your gear did not become more powerful, you just became more resistant to one type of enemy. It could very well be that this is all the change is.

But again, the point of this thread is that I have no idea. None of you have any idea. So can we uh, be a little patient, wait till we see what the change is exactly, and then complain/agree wholeheartedly about it?

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Noone’s forcing anyone to do anything. I could choose to get a exotic magic find set, but seeing it doesn’t actually offer a significant amount of additional magic find, I stuck with the rares for armor set and masterwork for jewelry. If they had gear that was better than exotics, and I didn’t want to get it, then I wouldn’t – you’re not being forced into anything.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Tyr.1965

Its going to be exactly like in GW1. The Ascended gear was required to survive against the Mursaat. Now it is required to kill the karka… the enemy the new content revolves around… watch, the blog post will likely say this.

If its like that, then it will be ok. It will be a new set of gear to grind for progression within a new dungeon. It shouldnt offer an advantage over current gear anywhere else in the world.

Posted by: Bluezero.9723

Bluezero.9723

Hi everyone,

So where does the blogpost get published?

80 Norn Warrior
Using Yojack’s build: Sword/Warhorn | Rifle
Gate of Madness Black Fade [BF]

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Perhaps have a look here and you might understand that there is more than one way.

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

Now I always take these statements with a grain of salt, however, the main direction should stay this way – otherwise it will become the same as all the others and I don’t think they should try to compete with that.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Xaielao.8510

Xaielao.8510

People are going a little overboard here. All we know is that this new dungeon will contain Ascended Armor that has higher stats than Exotic armor. It seems to me this armor will be on the same level as Legendary Weapons, IE about 10 point boost over exotics stat wise. Haven’t people been asking for Legendary equivalent Armor? Seems to me this is the answer.

I’m glad they are adding a deep, multi-tiered dungeon for those who really love dungeons, and having Legendary equivalent armor available is IMHO, a good thing. I just hope they are fairly hard to obtain. Perhaps not the mind numbing grind and money sink that is the Legendary formula, but hopefully hard enough to give prestige to those who like such things, but like Legendaries, not necessary in the least, and with a stat increase that has very little impact in WvW.

Can we stop screaming that the sky is falling already?

Posted by: Astartes.2380

Astartes.2380

You guys who support or want stat increases in GW….um….
Go back to Wow..or basically any other MMO out there.
What are you doing trying to bring that nonsense to GW?

You have no sense of accomplishment or progression so you leave?
Well if stat increases are what give you that….then you’re lacking the finesse to appreciate this new concept GW is trying to put forward.
A game where everyone can take part in all things without having to spend hours grinding for gear. Competition is cosmetic.
You knew it was this at the start….so why didn’t you just stay in Wow or whatever you’re from?

If you need to be lame enough to want better stats to beat people in pvp as opposed to skill….if you need to spend 6/7/8/9 hours every day raiding/instancing for better gear…..and this is what makes you feel a game is worth playing….then please…..by all means, leave.
But don’t come to GW and try to create a situation where you force professional people who don’t have much time…aka the casual player….to HAVE to do that nonsense as well or not be able to play.
That was the whole point of GW.

GW has a large enough population without you lot trying to morph it into that twisted nonsense. If you cannot find things to do in this game then you’re blind…or you have WAY too much time on your hands.

Being able to compete in pvp or pve just because you have the time to spend hours and hours grinding stuff each time an new ‘upgrade’ comes out is ridiculous. It is a concept for the no lifer elites. Not all of us are no lifers.
Go back to your mule treadmill and let the rest of us enjoy GW for being a far more professional, beautiful and unique game than that hamster wheel rubbish.

Posted by: corvo.8341

corvo.8341

It’s going to be funny when all these people complaining about this new tier realize the “Increased Power” is intended for the Dungeon and isn’t going to be more powerful than exotics.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

I bought this game because it wasn’t a WoW clone with enforced dungeon farming to get the best gear.

If you are removing that, why would people choose a B2P game like GW2 over the many F2P WoW clones?

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I don’t care if it’s just slightly better and doesn’t affect PvP.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

People are going a little overboard here. All we know is that this new dungeon will contain Ascended Armor that has higher stats than Exotic armor. It seems to me this armor will be on the same level as Legendary Weapons, IE about 10 point boost over exotics stat wise. Haven’t people been asking for Legendary equivalent Armor? Seems to me this is the answer.

I’m glad they are adding a deep, multi-tiered dungeon for those who really love dungeons, and having Legendary equivalent armor available is IMHO, a good thing. I just hope they are fairly hard to obtain. Perhaps not the mind numbing grind and money sink that is the Legendary formula, but hopefully hard enough to give prestige to those who like such things, but like Legendaries, not necessary in the least, and with a stat increase that has very little impact in WvW.

Legendaries have exactly the same stats as exotics.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Then don’t do dungeons. If you don’t want to grind, don’t grind. Do you think this means you won’t end with enough gold to buy a full set of exotic armor and weapons? Then you would be wrong; had you been right, people would also complain about it.

The difference is that the grind that exists in the game doesn’t make you any more powerful. Legendaries are, for now, a huge grind – which gives you a nice skin. Armor with better stats that require an endless dungeon to be grinded over and over, in other hand, is not giving people the option to grind for a skin – it’s telling players to grind, or remain subpar.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Rain King.5914

Rain King.5914

We do not want power creep in GW2.

The mini weekend events are a great idea: unique items that are only available for a short period of time. That is perfectly fine and drives sales in the gem store but power creep is going t ruin the game.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Changing the game’s entire philosophy all for the sake of change itself is a good way to alienate the majority of the player base that has been supporting ArenaNet since Guild Wars 1.

Changing the game’s entire philosophy like putting higher stats items, or scrapping Conquest and bringing back monks, etc. is a major blemish to their word of honor.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Even though if we don’t have a lot of information, we react before it’s too late, and we might be able to make a change.

People just show ArenaNet what they DON’T want, and people don’t want treadmills, like ArenaNet promised themselves.

Even though this was not ArenaNet was creating, a gear treadmill, the community showed where they shouldn’t cross the line.

Posted by: CaakEE.7109

CaakEE.7109

(edited by CaakEE.7109)

Posted by: Dynheart.5402

Dynheart.5402

Ever since I read this in the morning, I havent logged in. I just found it difficult to log in knowing that any gear I obtain on my main might be replaced in a few days.

Going to log in now, on my alts I’d imagine, but I haven’t had the urge to log in and obtain some dungeon gear today just because of this.

You play an MMO. MMO’s are about progression and additions. Stuff will change. If you haven’t figured this out by now, then I don’t think MMO’s are the type of game for you.

Not this MMO. Not verticle progression. If I wanted a gear treadmill I’ll do it via raiding. Not by simple fact of purchasing gear.

With that logic, why have gear at all?

This game is too big to not have something to do at level 80. Reward your level 80’s eventually. Playing barbie will only go so far.

Reward with what? Bigger numbers? Or making the game slightly easier to play?

Proponents of stat progression sure love throwing out the word “rewards” without explaining their meaning. If the reward is the ability to access certain content because you have gear that’s better than what others have, that means precisely the kind of elitism and gear grind that would put a lot of players off GW2, because that’s not the game they bought.

What elitism, though?

The gear in this game is way to easy to get to brag about. The new stuff? I will bet it’s the same thing!

All this is is to give us level 80’s something to do other than playing dress up. You people who like to play dress up? You’ll benefit, as you will run the dungeon anyway to get the skins/set you want.

If this required mass amounts of time to get the gear/level 80…I would get your argument. But…it doesn’t hold water in this game at all. Maybe for a legendary, but they don’t have stat boosts. Sooo, you can die looking pretty in WvW is about what that amounts to.

Grinding for skins/sets = not a grind is what I’m getting in this thread. 100’s of dungeon runs.

Doing just enough to get your upgrades is a grind, even though you are doing to get the skins/set…is a grind.

This doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Chrisiana Dynheart – Guardian
[FIRE] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Asmodeus.8491

Asmodeus.8491

I’m just adding my voice to the chorus:

Im not happy about the possiblity of a new gear tier. One of the things I like about GW2 is no crazy gear grind. “No gear tradmill” is one thing that makes (made?) this game special. If they add a “gear teadmill”, then their game is not any different than the other MMOs out there.

I will wait and see, but ANET’s apparent silence on this issue bothers me.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

A bunch of QQ’ing going on here, before any real information has been shown.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!