Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

They are creating a stat gap between exotic and legendary with ascend being in the middle…… at least thats how it reads in the announcement made by Chris.

That is the whole point. They are creating a stat increase where before there was NONE. So that they can say that ascended are the stop gap for legendaries. They are creating their own need for a stop gap.

The only difference from legendaries and exotics before was aesthetics. Now after creating this new stats gap (in the first place), they are going to fill it up.

It makes no sense, other then to add Gear Progression and Power Creep.

(edited by gadenp.7586)

Posted by: Lequin.1806

Lequin.1806

I can’t see where they said they’ll have better stats.

They said they’ll add more update related items, that’s it.

Do the halloween exotics have better stats? Nope.

@above
At launch we will only have ring and back items, they’re going to add the rest of the slots as they go.

are you serious? did you not even read what Ascended items are? go read the release adn then come back. turn the lights on, and maybe have your browser turned to font 40. it’s in plain as day english, ascended stats are better than Exotic. no if, ands, or buts. They’ve even stated that it’s a new tier, and will make existing content easier for you! (meaning it’ll be a big increase on your character’s performance). Not to mention, it has alot of +magic find, which is the highest rated stat.

It’s the start of the never ending god kitten treadmill. they want to be like WoW for whatever reason despite having success with their original design.

And legendary stats are better then ascended which is also better then exotics? What is your point? Your already grinding for legendary… they are just adding a inbetween gear…. it won’t be the best in the game. Therefore the whole argument about a gear treadmill is totally debunked.

This nothing but this i dont see why people cant understand this

Currently there is no “progression” from exotic to legendary. They have the same stats. The only “reward” is aesthetic.

Now with Ascended gear, you have to grind for them, as their “rewards” are not only aesthetic but also have stat increase.

They are creating a stat gap between exotic and legendary with ascend being in the middle…… at least thats how it reads in the announcement made by Chris.

They are not. They’re adding a gap in between exotic and the new tier, Ascended. There is no gap to legendary (which will be EQUAL to Ascended with the patch), there never was. It was a problem they invented.

to clear stuff up folks (cuz the devs PR is purposely muddy), legendary = same stats as exotic. After patch, legendary = same stats as Ascended.

Exotic, and all the tokens, karma, gold, crafting is now worthless, 3 months after launch.

(edited by Lequin.1806)

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

@above
At launch we will only have ring and back items, they’re going to add the rest of the slots as they go.

are you serious? did you not even read what Ascended items are? go read the release adn then come back. turn the lights on, and maybe have your browser turned to font 40. it’s in plain as day english, ascended stats are better than Exotic. no if, ands, or buts. They’ve even stated that it’s a new tier, and will make existing content easier for you! (meaning it’ll be a big increase on your character’s performance). Not to mention, it has alot of +magic find, which is the highest rated stat.

It’s the start of the never ending god kitten treadmill. they want to be like WoW for whatever reason despite having success with their original design.

And legendary stats are better then ascended which is also better then exotics? What is your point? Your already grinding for legendary… they are just adding a inbetween gear…. it won’t be the best in the game. Therefore the whole argument about a gear treadmill is totally debunked.

I don’t understand how you don’t seem to grasp the concept of a gear treadmill. The fact that Ascended items are not the best, and there will be further tiers is exactly what a gear treadmill is. Endlessly running in place trying to catch up to the highest level. The argument isn’t debunked. It is confirmed without doubt.

who care’s as long as its still as slight as it is between levels i dont, still do A-OK in dungeons and WVW and most of my gear is a mix of level 70 to 75 stuff

I don’t have any exotics yet ((other than a warhorn i don’t use))

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

So, people cry because cannot get a prelegendary, they add 10% magic find item for make u more easy the work, now people cry because that item is op, rofl, that ascended ring its a kitten because magic find its not usefull in dungeon, so u got 5 more power and precision but u lost vitality or cri dmg for example that could got an exotic ring.

Im sure that many of u people cryed for prelegendary drop, anet listen ur cry, they said that they will start to make more accesible for all, well with new patch u will got a 6% more for got a chance.

Im worried about all inmature and brainless people who play this game and cannot see what anet do.

Legendaries will be pumped to ascneded level.

Do you seriously think they make all legendaries have magic find stats?

Or for that matter do you really think ascended sets only have magicfind stats?

seriusly u think that 5 more stats on each item will let u kill giganticus (for example) by one hit? if u are armless u will still diying, and if you know how to play maybe saves u 20 secs of boss fight time.

who gives a kitten about giganticus lol i care about my WvW game, if this goes live it is forcing people to PVE to compete in PVP – whether you want to believe it or not. A 2% – 8% increase is a big difference.

Posted by: rikuharada.3152

rikuharada.3152

But pve wise, I don’t know anyone that doesn’t want to see their character grow…. no matter how small the amount is. New skins are cool but really its just more of the same after a few expansions. Same skills, same everything. Not sure how people cant consider that anymore or less boring.

Nor do I understand the argument about a gear grind….. when HELLO your doing the same thing if it were just a skin…. I mean comon folks pull your heads out!

The reason why GW was special was because the grind process was pretty much voluntary. You can grind for cooler look and stand out from the rest, and that is your reward.

With the stats boost, now that is a different story, now you are in the position of “mandatory” grind just to stay competitive. I been a PVE players since GW1 days, and this sole reason of voluntary grind was y I’m still playing this game today.

Posted by: Bregah.7365

Bregah.7365

I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.

Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores.

Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director

I don’t really see how you can post this, to be honest.

Currently exotic and legendaries have the same stats (we only have legendary weapons). Where do Ascended armor, with BETTER stats than exotic (and therefore legendary – using the current model) fit BETWEEN exotic and legendary?

And if you are buffing legendary to be better than exotic and ascended – why?

You say you do not want to add a gear treadmill, but that you DO want to add progression, and yet you are adding progression via gear treadmills and gear gating.

How is that a good thing for the game?

I guess I’m struggling to find what problem you are “fixing” by adding in something you said you wouldn’t add, and something you are currently saying you don’t want to add (but are in the process of adding).

There are other games that do this kind of gearing thing better than you are proposing – and if I wanted to play a game with a gear treadmill I would choose at least 2 other games before GW2 any day of the week. I’m not playing those games precisely because I don’t want the gear treadmill and gear gating they have, and because you guys said you wouldn’t include them – and now you are.

Also – have you guys not learned from all the other games that have added gear gating mechanisms (resists, radiance and even your own infusion that was originally 1 piece per run, but became all pieces) that players don’t like them? All examples of gating (via a specific stat from “special gear” to counter a specific ability in specific encounters) that I can think of and have experienced have either been removed from those games, or severely diminished in their impact.

So why add the exact same mechanism here? Why add something to GW2 that no one really liked in other games (and that no longer exists in the vast majority of those games)?

It’s almost like you guys are intentionally frustrating your player base.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Only 2.75% stronger and 100 over pages of complaints.
Amazing.

Although 2.75% is insignificant

Your math is off. Instead of doing it again, read this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13529x/ascended_gear_is_a_halftier_increase_math/

TL;DR – it is roughly 8.5% stronger.

2. You don’t understand WvW/PvP players. It could be 0.05% stronger for all we care. What matters is that it is stronger, and anything that isn’t the best isn’t good enough. If you feel like you’re representative of people who enjoy PvE progression and must speak out then by all means do so, but we’d appreciate it if you don’t pretend to speak for the PvPers as well.

Isn’t every 20 stats increment = 1% increment in actual combat?
Were they calculating percentage difference based on “stats” or “stats towards actual combat capabilities”?

If they did not take into consideration that every 20 stats = 1% increment, it would be off.

2. For your info, majority who doesn’t PVE much but played for WvWvW are using the masterwork tier instead of exotic.

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

That is the whole point. They are creating a stat where before there was not.

So that they can say that ascended are the stop gap for legendaries. They are creating their own need for a stop gap.

The only difference from legendaries and exotics before was aesthetics. Now after creating this new stats gap (in the first place), they are going to fill it up.

But this is where you are assuming. You are assuming that they will create a new tier above legendary, if it is a true gear treadmill there is no end.

Creating gear that is lower stat’d then the “best” gear in the game doesn’t scream gear treadmill to me, in the sense of how wow runs things….

Again people are making assumptions and freaking out over it.

Had GW2 launched with exotic > ascend > Legendary, you would not be throwing a fit right now. And thats the truth of it.

Also on that note GW2 has no progression you get to 80 get all your discovries and such done and thats it really, grind for your legendary. There is no progression there is nothing to hold a good majority of people in the game. If you think they are adding this based solely on forum postings, you are sadly mistaken. They probably have a great deal of data behind this choice.

(edited by Namu.5712)

Posted by: Synitare.3176

Synitare.3176

Wow, to think that people are complaining this much about a new tier or armor, what about when they raise the level cap and you gotta get it all again. Hahaha, it’s a game, deal with it. Arenanet aren’t stupid, and I like this idea.

/ilovethisgame.

Great. There are dozens of other games that offer endless gear grinding for you. People came to GW2 because it was promised that there would be no such thing. They were lied to. Not everyone likes having a carrot dangled in front of them for eternity. Some of us just want to play the game and have fun without being forced into content we have zero interest in just to remain on level ground.

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

After reading the post from Chris Whiteside I just want to say thank you so much for taking the time to reply to such a hot topic right now! With so many MMOs being all about the gear grind, and many gating content through gear, its scary when we read the term “item progression”.

We’re looking from the outside and have no idea what part of the complete design this plays. Speaking for myself, I just LOVE this game very much! I have been with Guild Wars for seven years and I’m very glad to hear you have no intentions of straying from your design philosophies for Guild Wars 2.

I know there are still bugs to patch and bots to catch, but so far I’m amazed by Guild Wars 2! I think you guys did one hell of a job both with the game and continuously communicating with us even when it may be more advantageous (or maybe just safe) to keep quiet and hope things blow over! Thank you for being my most trusted company and for finding a way to reinforce that feeling every single time my confidence waivers!

Posted by: Aether Cerulean.3675

Aether Cerulean.3675

I pre-ordered this game, and bought a large number of gems, MOSTLY because of the firm commitment to anti-grind expressed by the devs over a long period of time. If you abandon this commitment by introducing a gear treadmill, or anything remotely similar, then you will NEVER get another dollar from me; and I will be quite proactive in expressing my disappointment to any gamer I know.

UnderdogSMO.9428

@above

Currently there is no “progression” from exotic to legendary. They have the same stats. The only “reward” is aesthetic.

Now with Ascended gear, you have to grind for them, as their “rewards” are not only aesthetic but also have stat increase.

They are not. They’re adding a gap in between exotic and the new tier, Ascended. There is no gap to legendary (which will be EQUAL to Ascended with the patch), there never was. It was a problem they invented.

to clear stuff up folks (cuz the devs PR is purposely muddy), legendary = same stats as exotic. After patch, legendary = same stats as Ascended.

so dose this mean if we get our legendery we NEVER have to worry about a “gear grind” again as it will always be the equivalent to the strongst wepon?

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

So that they can say that ascended are the stop gap for legendaries. They are creating their own need for a stop gap.

I really don’t think this is going to establish a Power Creep. Exotic gear was far too easy to obtain. I’ve mulled my way to 80, and around a bit after that, and have obtained a number of Exotics with little direct effort. Were I to gear out, my only course of action after that would to be to look towards legendaries. Which are so far out of my league, I would never obtain them.

That’s the gap they’re intending to fill. Something rarer (We would assume) than exotics, but not quite as insane to obtain as legendaries.

As for the stat increase…I have no idea. So you want it more?

UnderdogSMO.9428

if there going to up the stats of the lagandarys every time they come out with a new set of equip ment just get it over with and get a lagandary :P

Its clear they dont entend to make any thing stronger than what lagandarys will become I am OK with that

Posted by: xeph.8410

xeph.8410

Only 2.75% stronger and 100 over pages of complaints.
Amazing.

Although 2.75% is insignificant

Your math is off. Instead of doing it again, read this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13529x/ascended_gear_is_a_halftier_increase_math/

TL;DR – it is roughly 8.5% stronger.

2. You don’t understand WvW/PvP players. It could be 0.05% stronger for all we care. What matters is that it is stronger, and anything that isn’t the best isn’t good enough. If you feel like you’re representative of people who enjoy PvE progression and must speak out then by all means do so, but we’d appreciate it if you don’t pretend to speak for the PvPers as well.

Were they calculating percentage difference based on “stats” or “stats towards actual combat capabilities”?

If they did not take into consideration that every 20 stats = 1% increment, it would be off.

2. For your info, majority who doesn’t PVE much but played for WvWvW are using the masterwork tier instead of exotic.

1. Please explain “actual combat” metric that you speak of. Actual combat is affected by too many variables. Stats are stats.

2. For your info, the majority of the statements that are sweeping generalisations turn out to be incorrect. Please support your statement with data and let us know what assumptions you are making. I play on a T1 server, and I assure you that any group you face in WvW in this matchup will be kit out in exotics.

See? I can do this too.
It doens’t matter if the “majority” of players wear masterwork, play the game naked in front of their PCs, or enjoy singing in the rain. That’s besides the point.

The point is, there is a new tier of gear, it is significant stats-wise, and WvW/PvP players dislike gear progression.

(edited by xeph.8410)

Posted by: Lequin.1806

Lequin.1806

@above

so dose this mean if we get our legendery we NEVER have to worry about a “gear grind” again as it will always be the equivalent to the strongst wepon?

For the patch this week, yes. Legendary will be equivalent to Ascended. For the future, who knows. (judging from other MMOs “item progression”, dont count on it.)

There was never any stat gap between legendary and exotics anyway, so the entire Ascended thing with better stats is why people are pissed. We all bought the game to get away from stuff like that since that is what they marketed GW2 as.

Synitare.3176

I really don’t think this is going to establish a Power Creep. Exotic gear was far too easy to obtain. I’ve mulled my way to 80, and around a bit after that, and have obtained a number of Exotics with little direct effort. Were I to gear out, my only course of action after that would to be to look towards legendaries. Which are so far out of my league, I would never obtain them.

That’s the gap they’re intending to fill. Something rarer (We would assume) than exotics, but not quite as insane to obtain as legendaries.

As for the stat increase…I have no idea. So you want it more?

Being easy to obtain was the point. Their original design philosophy was to make it so that max level items were easily obtained in order to keep everyone on level playing ground. This is the way it worked in GW1, and the way it worked up until now. The idea that you have to “work” in a game is absurd. Games are meant to be fun, entertaining. If you wanted something extra, you were to be able to get different unique item skins, but the stats were always the same.

They threw that philosophy out the window, shot it like a clay pigeon and pissed on the remains.

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

But pve wise, I don’t know anyone that doesn’t want to see their character grow…. no matter how small the amount is. New skins are cool but really its just more of the same after a few expansions. Same skills, same everything. Not sure how people cant consider that anymore or less boring.

Let me get this straight… you are claiming new skins are more boring than having the number ‘50’ instead of the number ‘48’ in your character window? Nothing is more boring than pointless stat creep.

Nor do I understand the argument about a gear grind….. when HELLO your doing the same thing if it were just a skin…. I mean comon folks pull your heads out!

Once you had a skin you are happy with, nobody was going to come along and make it unpleasant looking so you had to get a new one. You could not play for 6 months and your character would still look nice. With a gear treadmill, 6 months of activity means you are out of the loop and your friends are out grinding content that you can’t. That’s so cool!

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

gadenp.7586

But this is where you are assuming. You are assuming that they will create a new tier above legendary, if it is a true gear treadmill there is no end.

Creating gear that is lower stat’d then the “best” gear in the game doesn’t scream gear treadmill to me, in the sense of how wow runs things….

Had GW2 launched with exotic > ascend > Legendary, you would not be throwing a fit right now. And thats the truth of it.

Yes I am unhappy, because they went back on their promise made.

Here is one of their quote:
“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Anet is clearly going back on their promise to all of us. I and many others came to GW2 because it was promised there was no gear grind or “brand new gear that is better then the current best” releases.

Exotic and Legendaries stats are ON par with each other pre-15th Nov.

If Ascended was introduced before GW2 came out. They would have been the best, stat wise, from the start of GW2.

It was not introduced when GW2 came out. Instead exotics were.

So clearly Anet broken their own promise. What is keeping them from doing it again in 6 months time when the grinder scream bloody murder again.

They have proven that their word is flexible.

(edited by gadenp.7586)

Posted by: Osprey.6587

Osprey.6587

As long as these are as easily obtained in wvwvw, I am fine.

You’re dreaming man. If they were easily obtained in WvW then nobody would bother doing the dungeon for them thereby defeating their purpose. I can see them making them obtainable in WvW but I would bet anything it won’t be easy. Those of us that PvP always take it in the kitten on stuff like this.

UnderdogSMO.9428

@above

For the patch this week, yes. Legendary will be equivalent to Ascended. For the future, who knows. (judging from other MMOs “item progression”, dont count on it.)

There was never any stat gap between legendary and exotics anyway, so the entire Ascended thing with better stats is why people are pissed. We all bought the game to get away from stuff like that since that is what they marketed GW2 as.

there should have always been a stat gap, just not a big one

its not like you cant kill people 1 on 1 who has better gear than you I do it all the time ((unless there gear just looks better than mine))

As i said i dont have any exotics

Posted by: Cheiron the Centaur.1829

Cheiron the Centaur.1829

First, I’d like to thank Chris Whiteside for his response. But it just doesn’t make this right.

ArenaNet made the big mistake of giving legendaries a new level of stats. If legendaries had been at the same level of stats as exotics (and only differed in skin, as they were originally supposed to), there wouldn’t have been a problem, and they wouldn’t have needed to introduce ascended armor (now that they’ve discovered that people can obtain legendaries a lot easier/faster than was intended).
And imho the better solution would have been to either upgrade the stats on exotic armor, or downgrade the stats on legendaries. Both would probably have made some people (the group who farmed the legendaries for their stats) unhappy, but definitely not as much as introducing a new level of gear. And once all the ascended gear is introduced, nobody will want exotic gear anymore, as those stats will be inferior… so what’s the reason for NOT simply upgrading the exotic gear stats?
Regardless of how they introduce it, it will mean that people who spent a lot of time and money getting their current exotic gear, will be forced to go out and spend more time and more money on getting ascended gear… as their exotic gear will quickly become obsolete. In short: it IS a gear treadmill.

Posted by: Khados.8147

Khados.8147

I’m against this type of gear progression and gating mechanic. What’s most frustrating, though, is just the principle of it all based on the past statements by Mike and Colin quoted in this thread. I’m disappointed in the change in direction, and thought GW2 was going to be different than other mmo’s.

Osprey.6587

I guess I have to post this again since I just got a pm saying my original was deleted for too much italics (you guys are really trying to torque me off today aren’t you?) My thoughts on this change are basically this:

They are making a huge mistake here IMO. We have all heard the old saying that when you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one and that is exactly what they are doing. They are trying to add item progression to appeal to WoW style MMO players but I would almost guarantee it won’t be enough to sate them and get them to drop whatever real progression game they play to come spend money in the GW2 gem shop (let’s not kid ourselves, this is the real impetus behind this move.) What it will do is alienate people that came to this game to get away from item progression games. WvW on my tier 1 server is already gotten to a point where we seldom have a queue for any of our borderlands. There are tons of players on Blackgate that only do WvW and this will drive even more players away because they are not interested in doing dungeons for gear progression.

UnderdogSMO.9428

as for the People kittening about WvW that was never ment to be for strate up PVPers and has always had a level of gear progresion of some sort, from level 1 to level 80 your gear is crap

I play alts in WVW to level I still kill plenty of players

Namu.5712

@above

Exotics were basically a freebie when you hit 80. I am sorry thats the truth.

Posted by: Manatee Nymph.8261

Manatee Nymph.8261

Ok, To start off with I’ll say that I get the fact that you all are concerned about a gear treadmill. It is bad by design! No contesting that!

However, I don’t think it is as bad as you guys pretend it to be. This is probably a one-time design “ammendment”, so lets just treat it as such.

I does however feel like a lot of you people have reading comprehention problems.

Mr Whiteside mentioned the gap between Exotic and Legandary REWARDS.

Most of you keep on hammering on about the fact that stats are the same for those types of weapons, which is of course true.

What you seemingly fail to realise is that there is indeed a HUGE gap in REWARD from exotic to legendary.

What is this REWARD I speak of?

1) You play the game…
2) you get drops… trash, trash trash trash…. trash, RARE.
3) boom you get that “happy” feeling. Your brain produces dopamine
4) repeat
5) eventualy get geared up in full exotics.
6) continue…
7) ad infinitum

The obove mentioned is relatively easy to get, and once there, the great “grind” to get a legendary starts.

From here on, the “happy” moments are few and far between. Actually, your next big “happy” moment will be when you get that legenday weapon, which might be in months time. The game will most probably be a tad less fun, and feel like work.

My view is that the introduction of the ascended gear is to relieve the time gap of you “happy” moments. Now there is someing else to give you your dopamine injection along the way to getting your legenday.

Anyway,
thats my take. I say: calm down. Try it out. Its not all doom n gloom guys.
And if it is indeed as bad as you say, theres always the “next big mmo” to migrate to. It is after all 2012, and we have choice. I’ll exercise my right to decide. If it sucks, and feels like a chore, I’ll be gone too. In the meantime: I’ll keep on enjoying a great game, and look forward to more content updates!

./shrugs

nem·e·sis
/?nem?sis/
The inescapable or implacable agent of someone’s or something’s downfall.

(edited by Manatee Nymph.8261)

Posted by: Angrec.6970

Angrec.6970

@above

60 gold is a freebie? Because thats how much it costed to fully exotic out/set up a character of mine and transmute it to look decent.

Posted by: Hilko.1760

Hilko.1760

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Synitare.3176

@above

That’s the point. That is precisely what they were meant to be. There was never meant to be an item rarity that was better and more difficult to obtain. It was supposed to be all about aesthetics.

Posted by: steelwolf.9864

steelwolf.9864

@above

Which was the point, the intention was that the gear variable wouldn’t be a factor in this game like other MMOs.

Namu.5712

Yes I am unhappy, because they went back on their promise made.

Here is one of their quote:

Anet is clearly going back on their promise to all of us. I and many others came to GW2 because it was promised there was no gear grind or “brand new gear that is better then the current best” releases.

Exotic and Legendaries stats are ON par with each other pre-15th Nov.

If Ascended was introduced before GW2 came out. They would have been the best, stat wise, from the start of GW2.

It was not introduced when GW2 came out. Instead exotics were.

So clearly Anet broken their own promise. What is keeping them from doing it again in 6 months time when the grinder scream bloody murder again.

They have proven that their word is flexible.

No you are assuming that the new gear is going to be hard to get…. you have no idea if its just another part of your progression when they release the content…. just like how you aquired exotics with pretty much 0 effort you just played through the content and got them.

You have no idea really. You are just mad that there is a stat change its that simple. It could be hand me out gear just like exotics. While legendaries take a lot of effort to get.

They didn’t break their promise. They said they don’t want to make it a gear grind, and since you don’t know how the new gear is aquired you can’t assume its going to be some grind. Because it very well may be that you get the gear by simply doing the new content ie. the new dungeon.

Unless you don’t like new content in which case you probably wouldn’t do it either way. So why does the reward even matter to you at that point?

Posted by: Altair.6109

Altair.6109

Anet! Know your player base.
We don’t like gear progression period.

Implementing Ascended Gears and you will lose majority of your player base
or
Not implementing Ascended Gears and we will all be happy customers.

It’s easy as that, Keep the Guild War tradition!

(edited by Altair.6109)

Posted by: toomuchtatose.6874

toomuchtatose.6874

Anet! Know your player base.
We don’t like gear progressing period.

Implementing Ascended Gears and you will lose majority of your player base
or
Not implementing Ascended Gears and we will all be happy customers.

It’s easy as that.

Or they can implement Ascended Gears which has same stats as Exotics, but uses infusion instead of runes/sigils/jewels/etc.

Posted by: rikuharada.3152

rikuharada.3152

@above

60 gold is a freebie? Because thats how much it costed to fully exotic out/set up a character of mine and transmute it to look decent.

Last I check, ppl saying it take an average of 1 hr and 30 mins to get 1 gold, assuming you totally focus on grinding gold that entire time. So inorder to get 60 golds, that would mean you need to delicate 90 hours of farming gold. So unless that player play the game 24/7, the 90 hours isn’t freebie >.>

UnderdogSMO.9428

@above

That’s the point. That is precisely what they were meant to be. There was never meant to be an item rarity that was better and more difficult to obtain. It was supposed to be all about aesthetics.

thats Bull

Gear was just never sapost to be a pre-reg for content

even with this update its still not

Osprey.6587

Regarding #2, I would argue that is not at all true. Those in masterwork gear, which are greens, are the ones that are constantly downed. If you don’t like laying on the ground with your hand outstretched, you don’t use greens in WvW.

(edited by Osprey.6587)

Posted by: Bregah.7365

Bregah.7365

And that is bad because?

I chose to get and play GW2 precisely because it is not (or was not) about the gear grind. That was a major selling point Anet pushed before release.

Now that is changing.

gadenp.7586

@Namu

A new tier of gear, not matter how easy to get is Gear Progression and Power Creep. If you cannot understand that simple premise, then there is no point to discuss anything with you.

It is ok, you win.

Hilko.1760

How come swords can’t all be 15-22 and staffs 11-22 again?

Why are you doing this to me ANUT

It makes me sad…

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

You have no idea really.

Thing is: It doesn’t matter. We were promised an easy to reach gear plateau.

They are now doing a180 on it and add a different level on top of it, mostly to appease addicted statgrinders who “have no goals” and apparently can’t have fun without getting stat boni somewhere.

Quite simply, another level of gear, regardless how easy to reach it is, is already breaking this.

Even if it’s totally super easy to reach. If that were the case, it would a)defeat the point (statgrind-nerds would get it within one day, and then the same problem exists why ascended items were introduced) and b)only be a cashgrab for transmutation stones.

It breaks the premise regardless how easy to reach it is, just in different ways.

Namu.5712

@above

Last I check, ppl saying it take an average of 1 hr and 30 mins to get 1 gold, assuming you totally focus on grinding gold that entire time. So inorder to get 60 golds, that would mean you need to delicate 90 hours of farming gold. So unless that player play the game 24/7, the 90 hours isn’t freebie >.>

I don’t know about you but when I hit 80 I had plenty of gold….. and karma.

Heres the difference you didn’t grind for it you got it along the way while questing and completing story…. that is not the same.

Now this new gear could be entirely rewarded based on your new content progression the further you progress the new content the more new gear you get…. that is not =/= to grinding.

When new gear is introduced and the way you get it is say through some point system that has nothing to do with story or progression THAT IS GEAR GRINDING. When new gear is introduced as part of the story line that you get alone the way THAT IS NOT GEAR GRINDING.

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

For the complainers, have a little dignity. Don’t beg Anet to get rid of these changes, which I highly doubt they’ll do since it seems like the system has been in the works for a long time. Why even waste your time continuing to drone on all the evils of these changes? Just leave.

As opposed to addicted statgrind-nerds, who were screaming about this to be changed for nearly two months straight, right? Where were you when they kept doing it?

Let me guess: Screaming alongside them. I guess asking for things to be changed is only okay in your eyes if it’s a change in your direction

Namu.5712

You have no idea really.

They are now doing a180 on it and add a different level on top of it, mostly to appease addicted statgrinders who “have no goals” and apparently can’t have fun without getting stat boni somewhere.

Quite simply, another level of gear, regardless how easy to reach it is, is already breaking this.

Even if it’s totally super easy to reach. If that were the case, it would a)defeat the point (statgrind-nerds would get it within one day, and then the same problem exists why ascended items were introduced) and b)only be a cashgrab for transmutation stones.

It breaks the premise regardless how easy to reach it is, just in different ways.

Again how do you know it wont be easy to reach? More freaking out over unknowns.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

At the end of the day, stat chasers will demolish this content in a week or so and then they will be right back here complaining about no ‘end game’.

You simply cannot please that type. It is utterly impossible. That other game and its’ failed clones proved that over and over; a decade or more worth of proof!

Stick to your Manifesto, please? Please?!

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Redtah.3016

Redtah.3016

The problem is the exotics are easily had, everybody has said it…“its easy to get exotics in 1-2 days of getting 80”, so there was nothing to work for once you got to 80. Exotics SHOULD have been the starter set for 80’s and the ascended the next step…alas it was not. They want to give 80’s something to work for and they didnt want 3 sets to all have the same stat values. Its that easy.

You know how I know you didn’t play Guild Wars 1? Because I had a full suit of max stat gear before I even had my first level 20 (The max level in GW1) The game worked that way for 7 years. I know that in WoW and other MMOs that your used to there’s effort required to be an even playing field with everyone else.

That was always one of the magic things about Guild Wars it was never about the grinding and putting in hours to be on par with other people it was about doing things you thought were fun!

No one ever knows what your talking about, so I guess you’re already there.

Posted by: steelwolf.9864

steelwolf.9864

You have no idea really.

Again how do you know it wont be easy to reach? More freaking out over unknowns.

The Anet post says they wanted ascended gear to “fill the gap” between exotics and legendaries, this clearly isn’t referencing a stat gap since there isn’t one currently. The only conclusion is they are referencing effort which means they intend to make ascended items harder to get than exotics.

Hilko.1760

GW Prophecies = Max Sword (15-22)
GW Factions = Max Sword(15-22)
GW Nightfall = Max Sword(15-22)
GW Eye of the North = Max Sword (15-22)

Here we are 3 months into GW2….just saying.

I’m all for cosmetics…but come on now..

Posted by: Rashaki.9162

Rashaki.9162

Why did the new tier need a stat increase? It still goes against the principles Anet sold me on before release, even if there won’t be a treadmill.

If the kitten crowd wants to feel better than other people by doing incredibly trivial tasks repetitively, let them get some special shiny skins that aren’t as shiny as legendaries, but why another stat tier?

I’d also like to know is why there are no shinies for special achievements that actually take skill, like beating a difficult dungeon without anyone in the party dying, or beating a specific boss under a set time. If legendaries required stuff like that instead of just an endless grind they might mean something.

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

so – let me get this straight

Chris Whitehead gave us the official word from ANet to reassure us that they are going to do exactly what so many people don’t want them to do?

Not sure that’s the best move in the world.

New looks – very good idea.
New and higher stats – very bad move.