Upcoming Daily/Monthly changes 12/10/14

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Again another feature/change nobody had asked for….

Really? Because it seems to me that a lot of people asked for it…

I’m pretty sure noone (or almost noone) asked for limiting the choice of dailies, or to make them require way more specific activities. In fact, when the previous change happened, the resulting negative feedback was enough for anet to increase number of choices (from 10 to 12).
Seeing the picture presented, it seems that all the general dailies are now gone. Of the 4 options visible, two are limited by region, but two other require specific zone. Not to mention 2 of 4 are meant for fully leveled characters (which means that it will be simply impossible to complete dailies in PvE while levelling).
They really should have done a fourth tab, with generic dailies that can be completed in any game mode (the equivalent of current Leveler, Recycler, Reviver, Condition Applier/Remover, Dodger, Kills).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: BlkPrince.2854

BlkPrince.2854

The only thing I would like to know is the pvp wins that require you to win with a specific class what about the new people who only have 5 character slots and not all the classes that wont be able to finish those daily achievements?

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

OK, so from all the posts, this is how I understand the new system to work:

1. AP from Daily/Monthly is now combined and capped at 15,000. (Which would put me at just about 10k right now.)

2. Dailies are now split up into PvE, PvP and WvW. There will be 4+ Dailies in each category. You only need to complete 3 Dailies, across any of the three categories, to get your “Daily AP” reward, which is 10. (Which means that I’d complete my last 5000 AP in 500 days. This is actually a good change for me since I was at 8.6k Dailies, but only about 1.7k Monthlies, meaning that in order to hit the 5k limit for Monthlies, I’d need to be playing GW for more than 4 years.)

3. Each Daily now has a bonus reward associated with it, such as getting a bonus Pristine Fractal Relic for a daily Fractal run, or extra WvW XP for capturing a Tower. These rewards can still be obtained even after you complete 3 Dailies for the AP.

4. Laurels and Mystic Coins have now been moved to a Login Calendar, which also contains a bunch of other rewards that you get simply for logging in. (Will need more information about what the rewards are like, but I don’t think ANet will drastically reduce the number of Laurels/Mystic Coins being given out.)

Overall, I’m quite excited for these changes. It means I won’t need to spend an hour or two every day doing every single Daily; I can just pick the 3 Dailies that most appeal to me each night (or the 3 that are most profitable), and just pick up whatever else comes through normal play. (Assuming that Dailies like “Kill 50 foes”, “Daily Gatherer” and “Daily Interrupter” still exist.)

Yes, it does feel a bit like a skinner box getting us to hit the lever more often, but eh, I was already hitting the lever every day anyway. :P This way I’ll actually be getting MORE rewards just for showing up every day.

That’s not the way I read it…you can do either 3 PvP, 3 WvW or 3 PvE…I don’t think you can mix and match. Unless that is what you meant an I misread your comment, and if I misread your comment, apologies in advance.

(quote from the story page)
“As part of this change, we removed achievement points from the individual dailies. In the past, if you wanted to max out your achievement points, you’d have to do all ten daily achievements in a day and run all over the world. Instead, we’ve created a new meta-achievement for completing any combination of three daily achievements from any category. "

Bolded emphasis is mine, the way I read that, and the way it is written says that you can chose 3 daily achievements from any category and combine them together, not combine a single achievement from 3 different categories. If they meant 3 total achievements combined from any of the 3 categories, then I’d agree you can mix and match. The way it’s currently written, I don’t see it that way…any =/=each.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

1st impressions, it sounds pretty good…its like a advent calendar but for every month of the year (with a extra+ month thrown in for good measure over the entire year) and I like advent calendars.

Looks like extra rewards for pretty much doing the same’ish dailys but we are also having easy dailys and some harder ones. Its also good you only need to do 3 dailys to get 10 achievement points and that if you miss a day, its no big deal on your progress to the full 28 days completion.

All in all pretty good…

Is this starting with the Wintersday update in DEC or is it being implemented in the January update?

Posted by: vectorfox.6894

vectorfox.6894

This player base is like a baby that wants a particular pacifier and then when they get a pacifier they don’t want or extremely detest they just shut up and don’t care anymore and yes i know groups of people can’t be summarized since everyone is different but who cares.

Seriously i don’t think i have heard anyone ask for a daily reward system or at least not as much as other more important improvements and features. Whats funny is when those random features are implemented everyone says ‘oh, yes this is great and an amazing feature’. When really, why encourage them to keep making content they think should be worked on then what content we actually want being worked on.

End of rant and a personal view to this update is that from now until the time when i decide to quit the game or the game eventually dies it will feel like i have been playing an app game made by faceless money hungry companies desired to give you small incentive rewards that get you hardly any closer to whatever meager end you hope to achieve.

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

So. Funny thing happened to me last week. I logged in because i felt like I want to play some GW2. Even undusted a character I havent played in a month. Progressed a bit in open world, renown hearts, exploration, lazy stuff. Suddenly I realized that I have done the daily without trying. Then the feeling of accomplishment overwhelmed me so much that I was like “I have done everything here that I should, for the day.” Then logged out. Played something else. Had I not realized that I “accomplished” something however meaningless it was for me, maybe I wouldnt have stopped.

When the game starts to congratulate and reward me for just logging in, I may not go further half of the time. Why should I? Appearently Im already awesome enough to warrant a reward for just double-clicking an icon.

That said, I dont really care for most of the rewards we get, for whatever real or made-up accomplishment. Going with another character 2 weeks ago, I deleted every Mordrey ingredient as soon as I got them. Dont want it cluttering up in my inventory. Guess I play for the game itself, not the items in it. Alas the game itself is getting a bit stale after a while. With no new classes, skills or effects, there is not much going on. (Dry Top and the Silverwastes are bringing in some new stuff a least.)

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I think it sounds good. Putting in a request for “daily overgrown grub kill” in the wvw category, as is the only trait that is too annoying to get because no one on my server kills the grub. Ever. I was in wvw once, we were matched against two weak servers, the commander said after we took all three keeps we’d kill the grub… of course he was “just kidding”.

The changes to the monthly are really good, because it has been just way too easy to get. I usually got it in the first couple days of every month.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I think it sounds good. Putting in a request for “daily overgrown grub kill” in the wvw category, as is the only trait that is too annoying to get because no one on my server kills the grub. Ever. I was in wvw once, we were matched against two weak servers, the commander said after we took all three keeps we’d kill the grub… of course he was “just kidding”.

The changes to the monthly are really good, because it has been just way too easy to get. I usually got it in the first couple days of every month.

You can always buy traits for a few gold and SP’s.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

This to me just solidifies that management in ArenaNet is what’s driving the game into the ground. The daily system was absolutely fine, it certainly didn’t need a revamp when compared to other systems in the game or lack of endgame content. That begs the question of how this got implemented? Once again ArenaNet managers look at metrics and see that daily logins are down, they don’t care why they are down or how to actually fix that problem. Nope! Instead they implement a daily login reward as a bandaid fix to get logins back up. It just makes them seem desperate that this is what they have to resort to in order to get people to login. This is pretty sleazy and the worst part of it is a lot of players won’t even realize it because they can’t see past the free loot. A really sad demise for the once heralded ArenaNet, using sleazy tricks to get players to login instead of making a fun game that players want to login to.

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

So for people who can log in twice a week (or month), they have already missed 5 laurels, now they’ll miss daily rewards.

How about a reward system where when players log in, they can spend their time doing the stuff they enjoy and move towards their in-game goals? Rather than get left that little more behind each day they don’t log in? Maybe things like they can craft the stuff they need, when they need it and have time to spare, rather than have items time gated?

This seems like a reward in name only, eventually it will be viewed as a ‘daily task.’

Games are meant to be fun, not a gentle reminder that your being psuedo punished for not logging in daily.

Rewarding for logging in…not for enjoying the game when you’ve got time to. What’s next, rewarding your partner for seeing you?..it has a kinda desperate feel to it.

Posted by: Silversteen.1360

Silversteen.1360

Are PvP players forced to do PvE now? And I think much people want to spend the holidays/ free days to their family instead of lohging in all days and doing JP and world bosses. The system is nice but the time of launch is.. not fair to the casual gamer with life. 24/7 nerds wont care I guess. So people who already got alot (precursor, gold, legendarys, laurels..) caus of 24/7 getting more and casuals less than they got before.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

That log-in reward system is great as feature (I mean that every day count towards last reward) but it sould not be only reward for login. Please change it as reward after completing daily at least

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

How is this supposed to excite the people who’ve left because of the non existent updates of real repayable content like Dungeons?
If I were Arena Net, my top priority would be to stop the leaking player base.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

The daily system was absolutely fine, it certainly didn’t need a revamp when compared to other systems in the game or lack of endgame content.

Looking through this thread alone I found numerous posts stating the exact opposite. It was exactly not absolutely fine for everybody. It may have been for you though.

Yes, other systems are in desparate need for fixes, reavmps etc. in my view too. And we don’t know if and when they will be tackled. But it is not as if dailies and monthlies were flawless. There have been sugestions to fix these in the past, even from player side.

Posted by: Tenbo Meiholikh.2038

Tenbo Meiholikh.2038

My concern is about the resetting larger achievements. So if I do all 28 individual rewards they reset. As a person who generally only does PvE and WvW, if there are PvP metas and I don’t do them, mine will never reset.
I’m not into PvP and never have been. This is crap for the people who like the game but just aren’t into other parts of it. I’m now being forced to play the game in a way I don’t want to if I wish to continue getting rewards.

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I really wish ANet would just concentrate on making the game fun to play and improving their relationship with their players via an improved communication policy. This constant obsession with trying to manipulate us into logging in (first by ensuring that we’ll have to pay for living story updates if we don’t, and now this) is just the wrong way to go. You’re not supposed to have to dangle carrots in front of our faces to get us to log in. The game IS the carrot. Or at least it’s supposed to be.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not totally opposed to these new log-in incentives. I think they’re better than the punitive living store chapter incentives since they don’t have that negative “do it now, or you’ll pay for it later” vibe. It’s just that I think that ANet is stubbornly treating the symptoms and not the root cause. If people are not logging in, there are reasons. If they would address those reasons instead of trying to bribe people to log in, I think they would fare better.

TLDR: Log-in incentives are fine, but don’t ignore the root causes of why people aren’t logging in in the first place.

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I really wish ANet would just concentrate on making the game fun to play and improving their relationship with their players via an improved communication policy. This constant obsession with trying to manipulate us into logging in (first by ensuring that we’ll have to pay for living story updates if we don’t, and now this) is just the wrong way to go. You’re not supposed to have to dangle carrots in front of our faces to get us to log in. The game IS the carrot. Or at least it’s supposed to be.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not totally opposed to these new log-in incentives. I think they’re better than the punitive living story chapter incentives since they don’t have that negative “do it now, or you’ll pay for it later” vibe. It’s just that I think that ANet is stubbornly treating the symptoms and not the root cause. If people are not logging in, there are reasons. If they would address those reasons instead of trying to bribe people to log in, I think they would fare better.

TLDR: Log-in incentives are fine, but don’t ignore the root causes of why people aren’t logging in in the first place.

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

Posted by: kuittaa.7360

kuittaa.7360

Neat.

Next, can we get rewarded for not logging in and not playing the game at all? Please?

I mean, in form of “rest xp” for the time you aren’t logged in, or maybe something like “you haven’t logged in a week. If you log in once during the next 72h you will receive an additional exciting bonus glorified gilded coffer, which contains laurels, ascended crafting materials, mystic clovers and random exotic item”?

Edit: almost forgot: will there be separate achievement section for daily log ins?

(edited by kuittaa.7360)

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

-Anet: “FREE STUFF FOR EVERYONE WITH NO ACTION IN THE GAME REQUIRED!!”
-Players : " OMG REALY ANET!??! WOW SERIOUSLY!? Q_Q -makes treads on forums how horrible the idea is-

how bad does this make the community look?

I find it mind boggling people can complain about getting rewarded for logging in. Its like they are saying “Anet please reward me less and stop trying to get players to log in everyday.”

excerpts from Konigs post

I don’t think either of you are getting the actual points being made.

I would rather have enjoyable replayability than “give me something for doing nothing” which is what the log-in reward is, a reward for not really doing anything.

I’m not saying “reward me less” and I don’t think the others are either.

I’m saying “don’t try to spoonfeed me rewards just to boost your statistics” (or alternatively, “I want to be rewarded for doing something, not nothing.”).

This is exactly what I’m saying. I don’t want to be rewarded for clicking a login button. The harder I worked for an item, the more enthusiastic I am when I have that item.

If there is no challenge in a game, I don’t see it as any fun.

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

Again another feature/change nobody had asked for….

Really? Because it seems to me that a lot of people asked for it…

I’m pretty sure noone (or almost noone) asked for limiting the choice of dailies, or to make them require way more specific activities. In fact, when the previous change happened, the resulting negative feedback was enough for anet to increase number of choices (from 10 to 12).
Seeing the picture presented, it seems that all the general dailies are now gone. Of the 4 options visible, two are limited by region, but two other require specific zone. Not to mention 2 of 4 are meant for fully leveled characters (which means that it will be simply impossible to complete dailies in PvE while levelling).
They really should have done a fourth tab, with generic dailies that can be completed in any game mode (the equivalent of current Leveler, Recycler, Reviver, Condition Applier/Remover, Dodger, Kills).

This +1000! Since Anet had become so focused on New Players, as you say 2 out of the 4 PVE in the example require a level 80, which will shut the newer players out of getting them (and in the process confuse them even more).
But, people apparently like the pretty UI colors that the NPE brought and now this, I guess. It wasn’t broken – for PVE players there were enough choices to consistently complete the dailies. And, no one was forcing players to do anything they didn’t want to do for the reward. Heck, most days I just played and got them without as some described “painfully or tediously” searched for them. If I wanted to get it done in 30 minutes then I’d go out and get them. Big whoop!
It just really bothers me that new players will be excluded for the most part, and I’ll admit I’ll miss getting 40 laurels per month.
As far as the log-in rewards, now I really have an incentive to log-in EVERY DAY (I do anyway) since I’ll get some useless crap filling up my inventory, especially that gear. So how do they figure out what type of gear to send? And most likely it will be similar to the levelling rewards, unsalvagable and unsellable.

Too bad, Arenanet didn’t use that manpower to fix some of the bugs/issues in game. Foulbear Krall, hobo sacks, the list is long. <smile>

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Syzygy.5031

Syzygy.5031

It took 7 years for another MMO to give rewards just for logging in daily. That was the last cheap manipulative push I needed to uninstall after their 2 year f2p experiment that slowly sucked the fun and challenge out of the game. Slowly everything centred around the cash shop and casual horse collectors.

Dailies and monthlies were lovely as they were. I always got all monthlies, and most dailies apart from PvP. I could “play how I want”, and get dailies and monthlies incidentally.

“more challenging ones like … “Defeat the Shatterer.”

LOL! Since the ridiculous 15 minute world boss schedule, the one thing Shatterer isn’t is challenging. How can it be when it melts to the 120+ zerg? The most challenging aspect of world bosses now is being in zone at the correct spawn time.

Perhaps people aren’t logging in as much because there’s nothing challenging or fresh left to do?

My WvW guild is slowly dying due to the same repetitive unbalanced match ups every week.
Dungeon guilds barely exist any more outside the top speed clear folks. There’s no one in the middle any more between pugs and top end.
Living story is 2 hours and all achievements done every few weeks.

Truth be told, unless there’s some new dungeon, fractal or good repeatable open world content soon I’ll not be logging in much. A daily log in reward won’t change that in the slightest.

Your metrics will tell you I now spend 90% of my game time in Arah, that can only hold me for so long…

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I wonder if we will ever have a change that people will wait for being implemented before they rage like mad about it.

Maybe the better system would simply be to not talk about it until it was actually released.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

My concern is about the resetting larger achievements. So if I do all 28 individual rewards they reset. As a person who generally only does PvE and WvW, if there are PvP metas and I don’t do them, mine will never reset.
I’m not into PvP and never have been. This is crap for the people who like the game but just aren’t into other parts of it. I’m now being forced to play the game in a way I don’t want to if I wish to continue getting rewards.

You don’t seem to have grasped it. You can do 3 of any of the daily achievements from the PvE, WvW or PvP categories to get your daily reward. You also get a reward for logging in each day and this is different to the ones you get from dailies. When you reach 28 log ins (over the course of time not in one particular month) your progress resets and you start again.

They do mention that by doing more than 3 dailies you’ll be able to get some extra rewards but you’re not being forced to play PvP. By not playing at the moment you’re already missing out PvP only rewards like the Balthazar back pack and the glorious armour so for you there should be no change.

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

Seems a way to fill up you slots with stuff you might want one day…. I’d rather just the Points .

Posted by: vectorfox.6894

vectorfox.6894

Oh wow i just thought of a good joke.

cough cough

What next, are they going to give achievements for how many days you have logged in consecutively or a raffle that to enter you must log in and talk to a person. Oh wow the possibilities are endless!

Posted by: Elaron.8150

Elaron.8150

Log in rewards fill the same niche as dailys,but aimed at the potatoes who cant even do anything.Therefore i am as a player,and not a potato dislike this change.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

The new Daily system which hand-holds clueless and aimless players is, accidentally, once again leading to additional limits and constraints for loyal veteran players, which will turn dailies for casual players into even more of a chore and annoyance – just like the Traits (67 pages) and NPE (17 pages) changes did.

PROBLEM

According to this article, players will only have 4 fixed PvE dailies, and they will have to do at least 3 of them to get the daily reward. However, the problem is not with the amount, but with the requirements of new dailies:

• Daily Ascalon Forager
  • Daily Maguuma Wastes Vista Viewer
  • Daily Malchor’s Leap Event Completer
  • Daily Fire Elemental

Let’s look at what this means:

• Bring your character to a region you might not have or don’t want to explore yet (new Sylvari player in Caledon Forest) to harvest stuff there.
  • Bring your level 80 character which you might not have to a region you might not have or don’t want to explore yet and find a vista there.
  • Bring your almost level 80 character which you might not have to a region you might not have or don’t want to explore yet and look for events across that map.
  • Log in at specific time after looking up times at external websites (no in-game schedule exists) and bring your character to a region you might not have or don’t want to explore yet.

How is it different from the current PvE dailies?

• Daily Kills
  • Daily Reviver
  • Daily Events
  • Daily Gatherer
  • Daily Leveler
  • Condition Applier
  • Daily Kill Variety
  • Daily Recycler

Let’s look at what this meant:

• Kill stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
  • Revive stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
  • Do stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
  • Gather stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
  • Do enough stuff to get a level while playing the game when, where and how you want.
  • Spam different skills while playing the game when, where and how you want.
  • Kill different stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
  • Salvage stuff you get while playing the game when, where and how you want.

In other words, you were rewarded for simply playing the game; unless you were an achievement hunter, it felt natural and it was rather hard not to get dailies while playing PvE. (I think it would be safe to assume that most casual players do not ever step into WvW/PvP; however, the new PvP dailies will have variations of the same problematic concept, like “win a game on a class you don’t know”).

With NPE in mind, I see where there problem lay: completely new players felt clueless and didn’t know what to do! So just as with “go to this vista and press F, go to this PoI and you don’t even have to press F…” system, the new dailies are telling people what they can do. The problem is, though… there are next to no options!

BACKGROUND

These threads from the past are worth noting:

• Only 10 Daily Achivements? – an 8-page thread from 7 months ago where players are annoyed since they’re forced to do specific PvE dailies because of lack of choices. Result: increase in choices.
  • Please make dailies feel more natural – a thread about making dailies feel enjoyable instead of forced.
  • Daily Orrian killer – adding a daily with unnatural requirements caused a lot of distress, and it was still only a subset from a large pool.

SOLUTION

Unsurprisingly, the solution is simple: add at least 3 permanent choices for dailies which come naturally while playing. You know, something from this set:

• Daily Leveler
  • Daily Kills
  • Daily Events
  • Daily Gatherer
  • Daily Recycler
  • Daily Dodger

This way, playing players will be happily getting rewards for playing, and those who need directions or extra rewards, can do the specific stuff.

WHY THIS THREAD IS IMPORTANT and SHOULD NOT BE MERGED

Because threads like this one will appear in tens, if not hundreds when the patch hits. We’ve seen it with megaservers, traits, town clothes, commander tags, gem exchange… well, with all the changes which had easily predictable outcomes which were pointed at by the community, but were implemented regardless because they were already planned to.

So maybe, this time it’s better to listen to players before making this change? It will save so much time for everyone. Thank you.

Attachments:

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

removal of monthlies and combination of monthly/daily points? Does this mean that the new cap is 15000 AP? Other than that concern, i think i will like these changes.

Yes, combined at 15,000.

In that case… im excited about this change. Plus i can sell my extra mystic coins in a few days for a lot of gold just because people are worrying about nothing.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Once again, dumbing down and hand-holding for clueless players who migrated from Android games… which, accidentally, once again leads to additional limits and constraints for loyal veteran players.

Earlier:

• Do what you want. Enjoy your time, casually play the game the way it was supposed to be played (leveling, events, gathering, dungeons, fractals…).
  • Get rewarded for playing the game.

Now:

• Go out of your way and do things you do not like to get rewarded. Go to a place you do not like, go at a time which is inconvenient for you, do things you do not want.
  • Get rewarded for agreeing to do the content you didn’t want to do in the first place!

I do not like daily PvP and “competitive” PvP elitism. I do not like daily WvW and zergs. I once loved world bosses, but nerfs and megaservers ruined them for me. Why, why do I have to do it to get my supply of laurels and other important things?

This sounds like 2 cheap tricks to boost metrics for those who care about numbers more then about people, and make it look like there’s a lot of content in the game. Sad truth: there’s only “a lot of content in the game” when every player who enjoys specific type of content has enough of it, not when you force players to do stuff they don’t want.

ANet, before even rolling out this system, please see player’s concerns regarding forced specific daily requirements! I have a separate topic on it here because I think it’s important enough.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

+1
Very well written and nice presentation.
I just like to quote myself from the other thread about the new daily/monthly system to show my support for your suggestion:

Dailies nowadays are pretty unspecific and most of them can be done everywhere (dodging, interrupting, condition stuff, gathering materials, getting skill points, level ups). And I strongly think that’s a very good thing!
The new system instead forces players to do very specific things they’re probably not interested in.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

+1
Great post with excellent examples and suggestions.
I can only support what you have posted and hope that the team will reconsider and add dailies that don’t force me to participate in activities and I have no wish to.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I can understand them trying to get away from generic dailies. We’ve been here once before. It’s hard to make a “worthwhile” (and I’m really using that loosely) reward for something as generic as ‘kill 50 foes.’ Of course, since the beginning of the game, they have stated (and as far as I know, this hasn’t changed) that they don’t really want to do generic things like that. Which was why they tried (and were only semi-successful) to make ‘questing’ different.

Yes, having generic ‘kill 10 rats’ type achievements are much easier to accomplish and happen (in a sense) more naturally as you just play through, but I think there are some people that would like the more specific ones. I’m sort of on the fence personally. I know when we had the more specific ones before I didn’t do my daily as often because it wasn’t occurring naturally, where as I have a couple of guildies that really enjoyed having the very specific direction.

I do agree that a solution would be to have a mix of the generic and specific options under pve. This should appease most people (because you’re never going to please them all). Maybe not 3 generic (easy) ones necessarily (because then you’ll get the complaints that its “too easy” for some people to get the max AP for dailies). However they could mix it up, maybe 3 and 3 one day. 2 and 4 the next, etc.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Blude.6812

Once again, dumbing down and hand-holding for clueless players who migrated from Android games… which, accidentally, once again leads to additional limits and constraints for loyal veteran players.

Earlier:

• Do what you want. Enjoy your time, casually play the game the way it was supposed to be played (leveling, events, gathering, dungeons, fractals…).
  • Get rewarded for playing the game.

Now:

• Go out of your way and do things you do not like to get rewarded. Go to a place you do not like, go at a time which is inconvenient for you, do things you do not want.
  • Get rewarded for agreeing to do the content you didn’t want to do in the first place!

I do not like daily PvP and “competitive” PvP elitism. I do not like daily WvW and zergs. I once loved world bosses, but nerfs and megaservers ruined them for me. Why, why do I have to do it to get my supply of laurels and other important things?

This sounds like 2 cheap tricks to boost metrics for those who care about numbers more then about people, and make it look like there’s a lot of content in the game. Sad truth: there’s only “a lot of content in the game” when every player who enjoys specific type of content has enough of it, not when you force players to do stuff they don’t want.

ANet, before even rolling out this system, please see player’s concerns regarding forced specific daily requirements! I have a separate topic on it here because I think it’s important enough.

+1 and be sure to read Listenbirds’ link.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I agree completely. Very clear writing. I for one would not bother completing the new daily. Seriously… what a junk system.

In a game I’m doing what I want.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

Blude.6812

Daily Ascalon Forager
Daily Maguuma Wastes Vista Viewer
Daily Malchor’s Leap Event Completer
Daily Fire Elemental
Too forced and decided on by some dev that wants to control how I play.

Change them to

Daily Forager
Daily Visit Any Vista
Daily complete events on ANY map.
Daily Kill a World Boss.

Posted by: Daggos Skelito.2910

Daggos Skelito.2910

+1 Very nice post!
I didn’t have a clue before reading your post. You are kidding me right? So basically no more daily’s because I play the game naturally the way I want to huh!

First Traits, then NPE, now this! Whats next?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Do we know if those pictures are actually the final version of the system though? It is also an example.

Based on the picture we got a low-level character can complete two out of three needed dailies in PvE alone. Then add to that 8 other possible ones from PvP and WvW.

It is also fully possible that there will actually be more dailies from each category available or dailies based on your character level.

One should also keep in mind that they are achievements. While this game is rather bad at actually making achievements something you achieve, the original idea is that you actually have to do (achieve) a very specific thing to complete an achievement.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

(edited by lordkrall.7241)

Posted by: Grifter.3684

Grifter.3684

Wow!! no surprise , another worthless update ,and to dailies , wtf GW2 , what are you all doing to this game , i have had to stop playing because i am so bored with all of this crap , WvW is boring , same ole teams we play week after week , no money i can make ever , cuz all i like is PvP and for what you spend playing there you can never make enough , i have given this game time to grow and to try and go in the right direction for me and it just is not going there ,i have tons of friends here that play and we all feel the same way , its so sad , i am to the point of just letting this game go for good and so are the rest of us.. Sorry Anet

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

So ppl that log in every day for a minute get more rewards than ppl logging in every couple of days but when they do, they play for a few hours. Epic.

No, someone who plays for a few hours will quite definitely be able to acquire more items than someone who only logs in for a minute to get a single daily reward.

And I don’t care that you already said “Don’t give me the completely obvious and correct rebuttal to my gripe.”

Someone logging in for a minute will never get more items or money through this system than someone who’s playing for hours unless that person playing for hours is just running around Queensdale kicking critters.

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

I like the new system. The old dailies were so generic that they might as well have been a reward for logging in.

The new system helps give people some direction, if they didn’t already have some goal in mind, which can help players stay engaged. It also potentially helps cluster people at content that might otherwise rarely get completed due to lack of an appropriately sized group.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Filaha.1678

This is exactly what I’m saying. I don’t want to be rewarded for clicking a login button. The harder I worked for an item, the more enthusiastic I am when I have that item.

If there is no challenge in a game, I don’t see it as any fun.

Then delete your daily reward.

Problem solved.

Now you get absolutely nothing extra, and the rest of the game is exactly the same as it was for you before to earn your things.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Importantly though, if I’ve understood the announcement correctly, the daily reward is only 10 achievement points.

Laurels and mystic coins are now rewarded simply for logging in and after that each daily achievement had it’s own individual reward.

So unless you want 10AP you don’t need to complete 3 dailies. And for AP hunters it must be an improvement to only have to do 3 achievements, even in different areas, over having to do 10 every day.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Completely disagree. You say it will be a bad thing for “veteran” players and good for new ones, but it is the exact opposite. If youre a vet and you dont have map complete by now youre a pvp/wvw player and can do those dailies instead. Where if a new player has to go to an orr zone to do them they will be screwed.

The only change is you wont always be able to sit in one zone 24/7 getting your dailies done automatically while you farm the same content over and over. If anything this IS what people want, because plenty of people complain about this game being too mindless and simple.

You also quote people who complain about the same things but you ignore other recurring threads asking for dailies to be more meaningful, or for daily quests to be added, or whatever.

Whining that you will have to spend 5-10 minutes a day to get rewards in a progression based mmo (when you WILL still be getting rewards just from logging in now, but it will be from the new rewards instead of dailies) sounds a whole lot like complaining just for the sake of it. Having to spend 20+ hours doing difficult things to unlock traits on every alt is a bad thing, having to actually play the game to do dailies isnt even comparable.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know. There are no ‘rewards’ from the new Dailies, only Achievement Points for the first three, as I understand it. The usual Daily rewards were moved to the ‘Log In Reward’ system (Laurels, Mystic Coins, EoL, etc.)

It seems to me this was, at least partly, in response to all the AP hunters that expressed concerns about having to do so many tasks each day to earn the maximum possible APs. They weren’t as concerned about the ‘reward’ part, just making sure they were awarded all possible Achievement Points.

Those interested in the basic rewards are now rewarded for doing whatever they want, just by logging in. There are no special requirements (other than logging in), the player can play anywhere, do anything…or, if so desired, nothing at all.

It seems rather well-thought out to me. I’m sure some adjustments can/will be made if the community finds the choices for the 3 required tasks (out of a minimum of 12) to earn the 10 AP each day too difficult/time-consuming/unpleasant.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Anet has been moving away from “when, how and where you want” for quite some time now. This next change is not really a surprise. It’s not welcome, but it’s not really a surprise.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

First of all, I’m not sure the dailies aren’t mix and match. That is I might be able to do one of each of the three and get the daily. It seems to say that in the article, but the writing is ambiguous.

In the case of above, and this really stuns me that people feel so put out, they’d have to go to three beginning zones to do content that takes a relatively short amount of time to get five more achievement points than they’d be getting now, plus whatever reward for logging in.

Take the current example. Maguuma Vista is any vista in Maguuma. Including any of the ones in Metrica, where the Fire ele conveniently spawns, which gives you a guaranteed rare. That’s two of the three you need.

And then gathering 4 things in Ascalon. 4 things.

Yes, you may have to waypoint twice, or go through LA and don’t waypoint if you’re cheap.

But the amount of effort to get this for double the achievement points is pretty small.

And if you want to complete 4 events in Malchors you can.

I’m not seeing this as some sort of huge issue. In fact, I’ve the achievements for the daily have basically been a joke (and the monthly is even worse).

It’s almost a reward just for logging in now. Achievements, in my mind, should be something you achieve. Not something given to you just for playing the game. If you don’t want the achievements by all means, don’t do them.

But the way they are now, they might as well not be in the game at all. They’re basically like free loot.

And the way that it’s being arranged now, you get rewards for logging in even if you don’t do a daily that day.

Sorry, OP, but this is not a mountain, it’s a mole hill. And the backlash over this isn’t going to be anywhere near what the backlash for the trait system was. The backlash will be small and will be over relatively quickly because many of us like this better than the old system (which couldn’t be said of the trait system).

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Looks kinda cool. Too little information to analyze the details at this point. Will hold off judgment until release.

Also, please fix your overactive filter one of these days. I couldn’t even type a synonym of analyze without it turning my word into kitten. That word that’s spelled similar to access, but with all s’s.

Anet’s filter has had issues in GW1 as well. In Factions I believe it was, one of their own NPC char names couldn’t get past the filter if you had it on. Not even sure if that same filter will let it show here, but I am referring to Captain Quimang from the Shing Jea island explorable area on the west side of the island, if I remember correctly.

See also: the kitten ed Cleric from Prophecies. Let’s see if it passes muster.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/kitten ed_Cleric

Nope. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Daily/Monthly changes thread, already in progress.

PS: yes, more silk, plz.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

apparently you didn’t read the title of each article
content driven dailies..
log-in rewards
the free daily rewards are to compensate for the no-longer mind numbingly simple dailies.. and you want them to degrade the content oriented portion by duct taping the old dailies onto them?

Attachments:

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

There are no ‘rewards’ from the new Dailies, only Achievement Points for the first three, as I understand it.

No, there is an actual reward attached to each daily, which seems to be specific to the daily.

“Rather than having a generic reward for all achievements, each one will give players something that is thematically tied to the content they’re playing. Completing a fractal daily achievement will get you an extra pristine fractal relic, some additional agony resistance , and a tome of knowledge; taking a tower in WvW for an achievement will grant you World vs. World experience and additional badges of honor; or capturing a point in PvP will give you additional reward track progress.”

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Filaha.1678

Take the current example. Maguuma Vista is any vista in Maguuma. Including any of the ones in Metrica,

Minor correction.

It says “Maguuma Wastes”. That’s different from Maguuma Jungle.

Wastes is either Dry Top or Silverwastes.

As such, I’m actually curious about how scaling is going to work with this, if at all. By which I mean, Maguuma Wastes and Malchor’s Leap are obviously completely out of reach for low level players. So do low levels get achievements scaled for their level range so they can complete them?

If so, how does that work? Could I log on to a low level character to get easier dailies done or does the fact that I have 80s automatically put me into the “Do level 80 things” bracket?

(edited by Filaha.1678)