What's the biggest mistake you've ever done?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

Crafted 2 Incinerators.
Soon (april 15th) one of them will become 2000g worth piece of junk.

^this.
same story on my ele…

+ the buckload other expensive double skins, oh no wait, that actually isn’t it because I’m all for the game improving.

- Leveling a Necromancer and Warrior first because my friends told me ‘they were challanging and interesting to play’ I should have known better.

Posted by: PattyCakeChamp.5268

PattyCakeChamp.5268

Misinterpreted what a developer stated on the forums during the first halloween, and thought I had to equip or transmute the ghastly grinning shield in order to keep it, because of the other temporary weapons which were available during the event.

I have nothing I can do with it, don’t like it on my engineer, hate the shield on the warrior and guardian. 1000 G shield sits in my bank doing nothing.

I actually contacted support when it happened, they stated that they understood how I could have thought that but didn’t have the ability to replace the item, and if they ever did they would like to. I’ve never got back to them because I kind of doubt they would stick to that after all this time.

Also, during that same Halloween, had two Chainsaw greatswords and a scythe drop, sold them all during the event for only like 90G total, the scythe is worth several hundred now, the chainsaw great sword is worth several thousand. I thought at the time, ‘I know these are going to go up, but ANets economist can’t seriously be stupid enough to keep these so rare, so they’ll go down next halloween.’ If only I had known John Smiths elitist-driven economic policies then…

OK that’s worse than mine, I flipped great saws like they were going out of style during the event, and after all was done only kept 2 for myself. I quit in January and came back in sept, sold one right off the bat so I had the gold to flip stuff (economy had inflated a lot). The other sits in the bank, waiting for that special day.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I assumed that GW2 was an MMO (a world built on the unwritten premise of “permanence”.)

I assumed that LS would offer on-going exciting content based on the first Flame and Frost Dungeon.

I assumed that the level of developer communication that occurred around release would continue.

I assumed at some point, the honeymoon period would fade, that the game would become boring, I would disagree in the future with the developer’s vision and implementation, and that I would probably end up complaining about it on the forum at some point.

Hey, at least I got the last one right!

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Dehvi.1435

Dehvi.1435

While new to the game, and not knowing what can be bought with laurels… Used 72 to buy unidentified dies, and proceeded to sell them for a few gold. I still kick myself when I think about it.

The only thing achieved without effort is failure

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I let her go.

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Lessee…

• Main Ranger

Can’t have a topic without the ranger hate. Seriously though, what’s everyone’s problem with this? Didnt want to play a pet class?

As for me, it would be

-Sell abyss for 3g way back when
-soulbind my Torch Precursor when I had very little intention of making Rodgort

(edited by Ryoki Hokishami.2756)

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Crafted 2 Incinerators.

Here, lemme find the world’s smallest violin to play for you…

Sorry, that would require me having any sympathy for your plight.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

To be quite honest, I’ve not really made any kind of mistake in the game where my afterthought was “oh, man, that was stupid! What was I thinking?” Only thing that could come close was purchasing the Viper’s Medium Armor Skin just before the March Sales were announced and had I waited a few weeks I could have got it slightly cheaper. Same with buying a character slot some time last year and then seeing it on sale the next day. Those are more about timing and not the result of an actual mistake. I intended to buy them at full price anyway, so getting them cheaper would have just been icing.

Something I saw someone else do:
Yesterday I was in Rata Sum and saw a new level 2 asura thief who had “The Theif” as part of their name. Unfortunately, just as I wrote to tell them that it was actually spelled “Thief” and that there was still time to remake and correct the spelling, they used a Level 20 Scroll. I then said, “Um…never mind.”

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

Lessee…

• Main Ranger

Can’t have a topic without the ranger hate. Seriously though, what’s everyone’s problem with this? Didnt want to play a pet class?

I have little to no Problem with having a Pet. I have a problem with the low level of control of said pet (And the fact that I can’t have a Dolyak. I want a Blazing Dolyak). But that’s neither here nor there in this thread, and hopefully I can cross this off of my list if the CDI amounts to anything.

Back on topic, here’s a few more Mistakes I’ve made:

• Tried to Solo a Zerg in WvW once. I don’t know what I was thinking. Probably something starting with Leeroy.
  • Once used Fiery Rush off a cliff. “Once”, ahem.
  • I no longer count the amount of times I dodgeroll into something spikey. Or on fire.
  • Did you know jumping of a cliff cleanses all conditions?
  • Once wasted 6 transmute crystals on an outfit I then later salvaged for Ectos anyway.
  • And that’s without mentioning all the dungeon tokens I’ve wasted on the Wrong armor class or Stat combination.
Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Love that “Johnny Dangerously” quote

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Lessee…

• Main Ranger

I have little to no Problem with having a Pet. I have a problem with the low level of control of said pet (And the fact that I can’t have a Dolyak. I want a Blazing Dolyak). But that’s neither here nor there in this thread, and hopefully I can cross this off of my list if the CDI amounts to anything.

Back on topic, here’s a few more Mistakes I’ve made:

• Tried to Solo a Zerg in WvW once. I don’t know what I was thinking. Probably something starting with Leeroy.
  • I no longer count the amount of times I dodgeroll into something spikey. Or on fire.
  • Did you know jumping of a cliff cleanses all conditions?
  • Once wasted 6 transmute crystals on an outfit I then later salvaged for Ectos anyway.
  • And that’s without mentioning all the dungeon tokens I’ve wasted on the Wrong armor class or Stat combination.

I can respect that. You gotta understand, I love my main, but I get a lot of flak for it, so I’m a bit defensive. And if we’re talking oddball other pets, I still want a basilisk. How great would F2 petrify be?

Some more for me:

-bought black lion keys hunting a skin, before realizing I could have just BOUGHT the skin on the TP with said gems.
-trying to play ele in PVP when I barely knew the class
-getting a worthless mini moto instead of investing in SAB skins
-Not getting more tribulation skins (COME BACK SAB PLEASE)

And speaking of dodge rolling
-Dodge rolling off a ledge at the END of a jumping puzzle.

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

- 1: I started the game in an NA server instead of an EU one. When i realized my misstake i already had a lvl 44 character that i had to delete to join the EU spanish server.
- 2: Still in the NA server, I found the “not so secret” puzzle before any of the other puzzles in the game and i tried to complete the diving googles jump in it with no training from other puzzles. “Only” took me 7 hours… 3 consecutive days.
- 3: I though being zerker was fun because everyone was doing it, big misstake there.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: Paponzi.1637

Paponzi.1637

Crafted 2 Incinerators.

well, at least they’ll become account bound and you’ll be able to choose stats freely

Posted by: Elrond.9486

Elrond.9486

In the first months after launch I told everybody that this game will be really great in a year with Anets speed of updates.

Lol.

I’d say it’s doing pretty well esp with these Apr 15 updates

Zeus Thorsson – Guardian
Silver Moon [MOON]
The Toast

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Transferred my account bound Mad King’s Tome to a new character… and subsequently deleted the character.

Posted by: Tarreth.8914

Tarreth.8914

I’ve sold armor pieces, you get from storyline, which normally are available only in pvp…

Also, my engineer is a human, not a charr…

“We fight to live and we live to fight”

Posted by: Lightlord.4752

Lightlord.4752

How about the funniest mistake?

When I first got my perm Molten alliance MiningPick
I was dodging every time the lava would spout. Not realizing it was the special effects for using it.

(edited by Lightlord.4752)

Posted by: xsquared.1926

xsquared.1926

My biggest mistake was not rolling a killshot warrior earlier.

Seriously, this is so much fun

Attachments:

Master Ruseman. Lv80 Mesmer 10/20/0/25/15
Boon Dispenser. Lv80 Guardian 15/25/0/20/10 Boom Dispenser – Lv80 Engineer 30/30/0/10/0
Chuck Thunderstruck – Lv 80 Ele 30/10/10/10/10

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

Buying the game in the first place.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: Javert.5367

Javert.5367

The week before ascended armor came out I bought almost 200 gold (all the money I had) worth of silk scraps because I had a hunch their value would go way up. A few days before the patch a friend of mine convinced me to use the mystic forge to turn them all into gossamer scraps because he thought they’d be worth more.

All the gossamer stacks are still in my bank, and I can only dream of the profit I would have made :/

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Crafted 2 Incinerators.

Think of it this way, you’ll have 2 genuine ones, the real deal.
Sure if people apply the skin on an ascended you can’t tell the difference, but they’ll still be fake like a reproduction and you’ll still have your originals.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

You will be able to tell the difference, don’t forget actual legendaries can change stats on the fly, and are guaranteed to always be BiS.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Easy…

Finding my first jumping puzzle in Orr. Read instructions on how to do said JP … which specified there is a big hole right before the final chest. And DONT FALL INTO THE BIG HOLE. well…after one hour of falling and jumping to get to the end….i fell through the hole. I still have nightmares.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

Biggest mistake I ever made was buying townclothes items, since their compatibility with each other is being permanently broken.

Posted by: MidnightX.6294

MidnightX.6294

Lessee…

• Decided that my first Elementalist was gonna be a Healer. Leveled to 80 through PvE in Healing Power gear. And Staff.
  • Wasted almost all my G on getting Tailor to 500, only to realize that I won’t be using it anyway.
  • Main Ranger
  • Bought too many character slots. And Krytan Armor only for the Chest piece.

Thats exactly what i did too.

Posted by: calavel.6249

calavel.6249

First exotic set I crafted, spending all the money and resources I had at the time: Carrion.

Buying the wrong laurel item… twice.

Messing up transmutations and losing a full set of perplex runes.

Saving up for weeks and buying 10 transmutation crystals, 6 hours later they go on sale.

Spending a BL ticket on a weapon I almost never use.

Posted by: DDCarvalho.2071

DDCarvalho.2071

If your worst experience is buying the game, why do you still play it and post on forums ?

The 50$ (30$ if discounted) for 19 months of play was too much of a price to easily forget.

I usually value my time much higher than my money, specially when my money is 50$ spread in a period of 19 months.
To continue playing a game you don’t like just to “recoup the investment” seems to me like a case of “throwing good money after bad”.

But maybe you are just a lonely troll looking for attention in the forums. If that is the case, virtual hugs to you. It gets better if you get better.

Posted by: DDCarvalho.2071

DDCarvalho.2071

Crafted 2 Incinerators.

Your incinerators will continue to be legendery, with the unique ability to change stats on the fly. The others you can make with the skin will just be pretty torches.
And you will be able to send one of them to another character.

Of course, if you never use the on the fly stat change, it still sucks a little.
Maybe now that they will end a lot of items in the gem store (transmutation stones and splitters) they may create an item that reverses the account-bound condition on items. I would probably price it at exorbitant levels (whatever is equivalent to 300g in gems) but it would still be worth it for a legendary.

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

post here the worst/stupidest mistake you’ve done.

Putting hope into the Ranger getting fixed.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Selling all my mats in a blind rage at this game and quitting for two months (80 g for all that) then come back and now I am working on ascended and legendaries again.

Buying 40 unid dye when it started decreasing in price (hasn’t went up since). I got some nice colors though, but no super expensive ones.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

Having high expectations for Personal Story ending.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Got another one. I transmuted and deleted a Profane armour skin piece by piece on my first low-level char because I had no idea what to do with it and it took up too much space in the inventory.

I usually value my time much higher than my money, specially when my money is 50$ spread in a period of 19 months.
To continue playing a game you don’t like just to “recoup the investment” seems to me like a case of “throwing good money after bad”.

But maybe you are just a lonely troll looking for attention in the forums. If that is the case, virtual hugs to you. It gets better if you get better.

Ah well, I just went and put a [sarcasm] sign there.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

When I was a new level 80, I bought ~400k karma worth of temple gear, planning on salvaging it for the expensive runes.

It was a major facepalm moment when I remembered karma items aren’t salvageable. All that karma…

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I decided not to buy the jetpack skin and let it rot in my bank when it was only 100g.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

On the last day of Flame and Frost dungeon I sold all my mats to get enough gold to buy the mini Molten Firestorm, since I didn’t get it after farming the dungeon the last 3 days.

Mistake part 1: I bought the mini for 110g because I was thinking it is going to stay that high after the event or go higher so better get it now….I was wrong it dropped to 60-70g after the event and stayed that way for 6 months.

Mistake part 2: I took him out of the tp on the wrong character so I deposited the mini and swapped characters. When I went to take out the mini I see that I had not 1 but 2 Firestorm minis…I got him as a drop in the dungeon without ever noticing!!!

To this day i still have have 2 mini Firestorms. Mostly because I wasn’t going to sell him for 70g when I spent 110g on him. Now his price is ~100g, and a month ago I noticed he spiked to 200g, but I’m still not going to sell him out of shame. He will be a reminder to me to check my bank before I buy, plus it’s a funny story.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Not the biggest but definitely my funniest.

I’ve been playing since launch and about 6 months ago, I had just heard of the Spectral Walk bungee jump.

So I managed to taunt a warrior with the legendary Sunrise to cliff hoping he would follow me down while I could bungee jump back up.

Well, I hd forgotten that I used Spectral Walk earlier, I jumped off of said cliff and asked myself

“WHY AM I NOT GREEN??”

I died lol

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Antharius.6950

Antharius.6950

Thinking Arenanet would fix necromancer minions.

Minion Master (Broken), Turret Engineer,
Guardian, Ranger, Warrior.

Posted by: Jonny.6013

Jonny.6013

Salvaged Final Rest, thinking it was a low level staff.
Deleted a character with all my gold in inventory in the pre-wallet days.
Same character was also wearing my Wizard Hat as town clothes.
Need to pay attention!

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

Creating an Elementalist with the intention that it would be my main character.
(Instead it became a mule char very fast.)

Posted by: Hoplomachii.6213

Hoplomachii.6213

Buying a set of T3 Cultural Armor instead of a few Precursors waaay back in Oct/Nov 2012.

Posted by: MatthewCam.4391

MatthewCam.4391

This comment.
You know, hindsight.

Attachments:

Sea of Sorrows | Lt Mc Muffin
Don’t worry the games still in Beta.

Posted by: Liquid.4671

Liquid.4671

If your worst experience is buying the game, why do you still play it and post on forums ?

1)I never said that I was still playing.
2)I read the forums to see if there’s anything that would change my mind.
You don’t have to play a game to post on the forums, and you don’t need to be hostile.(You sound that way, to me.)
Eh, in retrospect, this is my fault. I trusted my friend’s word instead of researching to see whether the game was worth it. I should have at least waited for a free trial weekend or for a sale.
Oh well, lesson earned.
Wonder if there’s a guide on how to enjoy the game. Maybe I’m just doing things wrong.

(edited by Liquid.4671)

Posted by: Shriibot.4569

Shriibot.4569

I sold “The Chosen” for 60g. =__________________=

Gate of Madness Server [SC][RH][INK][PsQs]
| Xaija | Tipsqueak | Solena Snow |
—{“Optypical is my George Knightley.”}—

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

sold zap for 20g

Posted by: Hanako.1827

Hanako.1827

Filled myself with hope that one day anet will buff Elementalist outside of D/d…..

And semi-regret building Meteorlogicus. It is my favorite legendary and to me personally one of the most detailed in the game don’t get me wrong… but when it turns night time….

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

Not investing my money in precursors after the Karka event on Southsun cove. I could have bought 30 of them for 10-30g each and sold them for 500-700g each 1 year later -.-

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Transferring to SOS. At least that was when this was free.

Deleted a toon holding an ectoplasm stack

When levelling tailor made a celestial insignia without having the armour recipe

Bought the wrong ascended accessory (not actually that big a deal, they aren’t that expensive)

Lent some ectoplasm (stupid spell check changes the short version to echo automatically) to a guildie. Never got it back.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: Aniltiger.9186

Aniltiger.9186

Not buying silk when it was between 8-14 copper each, and then sell after ascended armor update. Went for gossamer instead, which lowered in price after an hour or two.

Having high expectations that build diversity would be a core freature.

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

bought 2 of the same rings from the guild commendation vendor

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Mine was attacking a chicken in Ebonhawke.

. . . that darn poultry. Even Link didn’t need to put up with that much.

My biggest mistake? Rolling an asura. I swear the attitudes of that whole race make the first part of the Personal Story so unbearable to me I just want to get on my norn and punt some to see if they can reach the Ring of Fire.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.