Wheres New Content?? (State of the Game) [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

@Devata

sorry I disagree rewards absolutely do not make content fun. Never did never will, they may make it worth while but they’re never going to make it fun. If you hate say PvP you’re not going to find it fun just cause doing it will get you a legendary. You may be happy to endure it cause you really want a legendary but you’re still not going to find it enjoyable.

You might want to consider replacing the word, “you,” with, “I,” in a couple of places there. You might not find rewards to affect the fun factor of something but other people will. For some people a sense of reward is intrinsically tied to experiencing fun. This is not an uncommon psychological phenomenon. It does not mean that a sufficient reward will always overcome distaste for a given activity in terms of having fun for these people, but reward is still an inherent and all but inseparable part of fun for them.

I disagree else people would never complain about grind in any game. Why? 2 important factors, if a grinding activity doesnt have a desirable reward no one would do it. if a desirable reward makes content fun then no one would consider it grindy.

going with an example in game, ascended gear is desirable enough that people feel they have to have it thus not only they feel they cannot simply skip it altogether but its desirable so much they have to earn it as soon possible. Yet they complain about the grind they need to endure (grind that in most cases can be perfectly skipped entirely since you get all the stuff you need for your ascended gear by playing the content you want to play yet people dont do that because it is obviously considerable slower to do that). Hence I feel this is a pretty clear example of how the reward doesnt make the content fun here but actually quite the opposite the reward is driving people from the content they feel is fun to content they feel is boring.

I am sorry but you are wrong. The fact that some people consider something grindy despite associated rewards does not mean that everyone does. The, “they,” to whom you keep referring are not everyone. For some people the rewards associated with content influence or even completely determine whether or not they perceive of it as fun.

The fact that rewards do not determine whether or not something is fun for some, or even most, people is completely irrelevant to whether or not some people do. Most people are not colorblind, that does not mean that no one is.

So assuming you’re part of the group you claim reward overrides content perceptive, what you’re saying is there is type of content you look forward to playing say for example you hate fighting champions in a zerg but because of the rewards you will actually look forward and enjoy fighting the champions now? rather then simply enjoy opening the bags for the reward?

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

“If you’re that keen on permanent updates, find yourself a nice subscription mmo.”

I am keen on permanent expansions. That is why I went for a B2P game in stead of a F2P game.. You know F2P game focus on there cash-shop and that is not so good for the quality of the game and it’s content.
…….

If you’re keen on permanent updates, find a subscription MMO
I am keen on permanent updates, so I chose B2P.

That doesn’t make sense!

“If you’re keen on permanent updates, find a subscription MMO” was a quote but I forgot to place the quotes. That’s why it indeed seemed to make no sense. I fixed it.

Devata.6589

I ran into an Anet tag the other day, and as you do, I pumped him for info.

“Future content will be released at some time in the future.”

That’s a quote straight from the horses’ mouth, thanks Evan!

Man you are easy to please. I wonder people like you are the target group.

Maybe i can add something to the rumors.

Future Contend will be released in the future.
Right now we can bridge some time with present contend.
Or what about the past contend we played in the past ????

Now we have a reason to look forward.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with sarcasm being hard to spot on the internet.

I personally can’t wait for something new. On the other hand, I like to keep my expectations realistic. Some people have been comparing s subscribtion model mmo with a buy to play mmo. If you’re that keen on permanent updates, find yourself a nice subscription mmo. I hear ESO is… eh..new. There’s plenty of them out there, and another soon to launch!

This break was expected. IIRC, they said ‘break – feature patch – break’. They possibly need the extra time for the China launch; GW2hub is speculating about some major new content in the works, like the new zone a lot of people are craving.

TL:DR: Be realistic. Expecting a buy to play MMO to deliver the same level of content as a sub based one is likely to lead to dissappointment.

If you’re that keen on permanent updates, find yourself a nice subscription mmo.

I am keen on permanent expansions. That is why I went for a B2P game in stead of a F2P game.. You know F2P game focus on there cash-shop and that is not so good for the quality of the game and it’s content.

Sadly Anet then decided that they would still go for the cash-shop approach in stead of expansions.

So no need to look for another game, this game should just start focusing on expansions instead of monthly patches. You know, it being B2P and all.

If this game would have been a true B2P game we would have had or first expansion by now. So people don’t ask for to much imho.

Anet from the start have been pretty clear what content they intended to deliver. You buy the game, you get the game, plus frequent living story updates.

I’m not sure where you are getting the:’It’s buy to play, thus expansions’ from. You appear to be redefining the Buy to Play term to fit your own expectations, not the commonly accepted meaning of it.

I see a lot of people naming GW2 a F2P game so it looks like what they are doing does also not fit the general description of B2P. So then what is the general description of B2P. Does it only mean that you buy the game ones and whatever you do after it does not matter anymore? No because when we talk about sub-based vs F2P vd B2P we are talking about payment models and because a MMO tries to generate money for a longer time it should also say something about how they make money in the longer time. So B2P also means you buy more game to play more later… you know like expansions.

GW2 does that now using the cash-shop being it a cash-shop focused game. What many people also refer to as F2P.

Anet did not say “We ask money for the game but after that we will purely focus on the cash-shop to generate income.” No in fact they even said expansion would be used to generate income. We all knew and they said there would also be a cash-shop to generate money but it was not stated if it would have a focus. It was until after release that a they said that they did not want to do expansions (id the LS was a success.. so there is still hope for expansions).

Another reason to think they would use expansions is because of GW1 where indeed they did seem to use a true B2P payment model.

So there are many reasons as to why to define B2P that way. As it stand not it’s a cash-shop focused game.

Devata.6589

I think you misunderstood me there. I did not say the reward is the content but the ‘working towards it’ is content. As a matter of fact if Anet would now trow all mini’s in the world and some in JP’s, some in dungeons and so on then I would consider that game-play as it would then be something I could start hunting down. However usually you of course do it together. You release the new dungeon + the rewards. Then the dungeon itself it content but working towards that mini is as well.

I am confused… sure you cannot get mini drops in JP, or world bosses etc… but you can get ascended gear in any JP, world boss so isnt this already the case? or does the reward specifically have to be minis?

No it has to be specific rewards for specific content so you can work towards something you like.

You know like how the Molten Facility dungeon could drop that mini and the backpack. If only that was not temporary. That was great. You want that mini or that back-pack go do that dungeon.

Now what is available in the world are all general drops. Yeah I can get some good drop from a dungeons but I can not specifically work towards a specific reward. I can not do the JP in Southsun Cove because that will have the change to drop a mini drake while I could kill one of the bosses in AC because it can drop that cool sword (skin).

There are a few examples in the game. Tequatl, the worm and the last added dungeon path have a specific drop. But with 90% of the reward of the stuff not being implemented in that way the whole fun of collecting them is already gone and I would not even bother with those 3. (plus I am not really interested in that skin and because it’s farmed so much the TP has overflown by them making them sell for a few gold)

Would you have done that with 90% of all mini’s, skins and so on, all over the game then you add new game-play. Hunting down mini’s for your collecting or hunting down that skin you like so much.

Devata.6589

~

It is not just for WoW, many games have it. It are mainly F2P games that do it like GW2 because they try to monetize those items.

“Only now that you’re level 100 with your mega super gear its no longer an adrenaline filled fight as its intended to be, its you hitting the boss for 5 seconds while passively healing more damage then the boss can deal.”
Now you already imagine that you are lvl 100 and the mop is 60. While that is of course not needed ans especially in GW2 that would not be true.

However, well yeah you do go back to farm that boss in your example don’t you? So you replay the content. And maybe there is no adrenaline rush but there is the feeling of ‘will it drop’ and if it does the joy of that. However as I imagine it in GW2 it would in those cases never be so easy. However there might indeed be a group of mobs that can drop a mini and then it’s indeed nothing more then just farming that mob.
This is the least interesting example obvious but even that’s not bad once in a while. Overall you want them behind content that is challenging.

“for this scenario to happen you’d have to skip that boss entirely” huh? You skip it? Why would you skip it?

In your example the boss would never have given me 100 it would have given me 10 or 19 using your numbers. And I might do it more then once just don’t keep doing it.

However I want to state again that indeed that would be true if you level up and then come back. However you can and should do the same for content at your level.

As an example, I likely did Molten Facility more then any of the other dungeons together and I had fun doing it. (did the pirate one also a lot) Motivations where the mini and the back-pack. That btw never dropped and then they removed the dungeon increasing my then already existing hate for temporary content.

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

Is this discussion going anywhere now as its obvious there are people on both sides loyal to their argument no matter how right or wrong they are and maybe know they are. Leave it to Anet. In my opinion the accounts are not looking too good and they need to balance what they can afford to add to the game against can they afford not to add to the game. The push to sell the game 50% off and the push to sell gems to me is indication things are not all well.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

What has all that to do with the discussion of contend ?
People asking each other to leave to other games and self declared lawers
picking words apart of what game contend is……

Let’s put it this way… there are a lot of Pvp’er who are happy with the game right now and can’t understand at all why something should change… but you guys have to understand that there are no Pvp’er who have no new contend at all.

And these many people who left the game left for a reason. PvE didn’t offer a lot contend related since release. There are no new areas to explore, no new storys to experience, no new skills… nothing. The game basically didn’t change since release.

So please let these people hope for something Elona, Canthaish to round the game.
It will benefit you PvP’er as well.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

PvE didn’t offer a lot contend related since release. There are no new areas to explore, no new storys to experience, no new skills… nothing. The game basically didn’t change since release.

This is actually blatant lying.
We have gotten new area(s), we have gotten new stories and new skills.
So basically nothing that you claimed is actually true.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

PvE didn’t offer a lot contend related since release. There are no new areas to explore, no new storys to experience, no new skills… nothing. The game basically didn’t change since release.

Feel free to make that ’’huge list" of new content we had

I will start,

New Heal, and useless Antioxin heal, Fractals, Southsun cove.

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

Galen Grey.4709

However, well yeah you do go back to farm that boss in your example don’t you? So you replay the content. And maybe there is no adrenaline rush but there is the feeling of ‘will it drop’ and if it does the joy of that. However as I imagine it in GW2 it would in those cases never be so easy. However there might indeed be a group of mobs that can drop a mini and then it’s indeed nothing more then just farming that mob.
This is the least interesting example obvious but even that’s not bad once in a while. Overall you want them behind content that is challenging.

not so sure, with zero risk and a fraction of the time it was designed to take to aquire it I dont think you’ll feel any better then buying that mini off the trading post. Like I said before its the difficulty to acquire that gives stuff their value. Trivializing content by doing it after you severely out-leveled it will take that away.

“for this scenario to happen you’d have to skip that boss entirely” huh? You skip it? Why would you skip it?

well if you didnt skip it you’d have your mini already no?

However I want to state again that indeed that would be true if you level up and then come back. However you can and should do the same for content at your level.

I agree but if you do that they you’ll never come back and fight this boss again would you? in which case its not that different then temp content in gw2.

As an example, I likely did Molten Facility more then any of the other dungeons together and I had fun doing it. (did the pirate one also a lot) Motivations where the mini and the back-pack. That btw never dropped and then they removed the dungeon increasing my then already existing hate for temporary content.

well thats a bummer I totally agree. Its never nice when you dont win the lottery but its also what makes the lottery so sweet when you win. Everything has its cost.

joneb.5679

I will start,

Dont start them . LoL They will rhyme off a huge bullet list which if you read is mostly the same thing just broken down again and again. IE, Two jps, a world boss, a zone, 2 activities is Southsun Cove.

them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

lordkrall.7241

I will start,

So, we have gotten all those things the poster claimed we didn’t?’

Thanks for proving my point.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Galen Grey.4709

Is this discussion going anywhere now as its obvious there are people on both sides loyal to their argument no matter how right or wrong they are and maybe know they are. Leave it to Anet. In my opinion the accounts are not looking too good and they need to balance what they can afford to add to the game against can they afford not to add to the game. The push to sell the game 50% off and the push to sell gems to me is indication things are not all well.

which part of the accounts is not looking too good? in the last quarter they made more money then the previous three quarter (individually). This quarter they will undoubtedly make even more because they’re launching in china. The game is now 2 years old. Most of those who bought it bought it so the 50% off might simply be to incentives those who didnt buy it cause they thought it was too expensive to buy it. The more players they have the more money they’re likely to make on from the gem shop.

You dont just discount a game cause you’re doing badly.

Galen Grey.4709

I will start,

Dont start them . LoL They will rhyme off a huge bullet list which if you read is mostly the same thing just broken down again and again. IE, Two jps, a world boss, a zone, 2 activities is Southsun Cove.

so wait what you’re saying is …. southsun cove was released in November 2012. The karka Queen world boss was released may 2013… so it shouldnt count just cause it happens on the same zone?

Same with the 2 new activities which were released seperately from those 2 updates.

you may have an argument regarding the jp to a degree. but then again if consolidate everything as simply southsun cove people will need to interpret that as all the content that came with it unfortunately it seems people easily miss a lot of the content that was release as discussed previously in this same thread.

Besides content is content so that huge list you’re referring to can on a highlevel be summerized as much as you want. Now tell me if I were to answer arwen what huge list of content? the 30 releases we got in 2 years. Essentially thats the same as the huge list you’re talking about how many people would that convince? I mean we go with an itemized low level list and still people try to find an excuse how most of that doesnt count imagine if we go with the high level list.

So yes Stepping stones jumping puzzle might have been released in the same update as southsun but that doesnt mean the jping puzzle wasnt new content and it doesnt mean southsun doesnt count. A new zone can be released as bare as say cragstead. No events of any kind there, no jumping puzzles of any kind just a few npcs with some nice lore and stories. It still has value and it still has taken arenanet time to first do the models of cragstead in flames and then models of cragstead being rebuild as well as updating the dialog in some of the releases. Even taking the time to ensure braham was removed from cragstead while he was in kessex hill for the tower of nightmares event. But was the same work that went into southsun ? of course. Did it provide the same level of content of course not. Thats why it makes sense to break things down to a degree that makes sense.

joneb.5679

I will start,

so wait what you’re saying is …. southsun cove was released in November 2012. The karka Queen world boss was released may 2013… so it shouldnt count just cause it happens on the same zone?

Same with the 2 new activities which were released seperately from those 2 updates.

you may have an argument regarding the jp to a degree. but then again if consolidate everything as simply southsun cove people will need to interpret that as all the content that came with it unfortunately it seems people easily miss a lot of the content that was release as discussed previously in this same thread.

Besides content is content so that huge list you’re referring to can on a highlevel be summerized as much as you want. Now tell me if I were to answer arwen what huge list of content? the 30 releases we got in 2 years. Essentially thats the same as the huge list you’re talking about how many people would that convince? I mean we go with an itemized low level list and still people try to find an excuse how most of that doesnt count imagine if we go with the high level list.

So yes Stepping stones jumping puzzle might have been released in the same update as southsun but that doesnt mean the jping puzzle wasnt new content and it doesnt mean southsun doesnt count. A new zone can be released as bare as say cragstead. No events of any kind there, no jumping puzzles of any kind just a few npcs with some nice lore and stories. It still has value and it still has taken arenanet time to first do the models of cragstead in flames and then models of cragstead being rebuild as well as updating the dialog in some of the releases. Even taking the time to ensure braham was removed from cragstead while he was in kessex hill for the tower of nightmares event. But was the same work that went into southsun ? of course. Did it provide the same level of content of course not. Thats why it makes sense to break things down to a degree that makes sense.

A zone is the content thats in it. A zone without a boss, jps, and just events is nothing much imo. The queen should have been there at the start like the jps anyway.
Activities that pit player vs player is not pve either. As for Cragstead whats the point of an empty zone? It may have a point in the future but we need stuff now.

As for Anet doing well. Im a cynic because big business is good at just releasing figures they want people to see, cooking books, manipulating. I dont think they are doing as well but if they are doing so well they make me more sick by not putting more content in. I would pay for it. Theres plenty more fish in the sea. If Anet wants to wait until a certain other big Asian game is released internationally then add content and I wont jump ship. This may be the fourth MMO ship I have not come back to ftp or not.

Im not going to sit here twiddling thumbs waiting for some nice new stuff then when some other game catches peoples eye, only then do they release new content to divert those eyes.

Galen Grey.4709

I am sorry but this its should have been there from the start is a very unfair argument not to mention one that doesnt really matter. Its unfair because where do you draw the line and how do you decide? and in any case does it really matter? if the karka queen came with the southsun release would that not be a new world boss anyway?

NCSoft is a public company hence these are audited accounts, We’re not talking profit and loss here, we’re talking direct revenue you cannot really cook that number in any way to inflate it or deflate it without whoever is auditing you catching you. Not to mention it would be a stupid move to make, if you want to cook the books you make that number smaller not larger because if you make it larger then it really is all that is going to happen is you paying more tax then you have to and the share holders expecting larger dividend on income that doesnt really exist. They really have no reason to do such a thing.

You make it sound like they never released anything when they’ve been adding new content every 2 weeks! I’d pay other MMOs to do that not the other way round personally. Permanent or temporary while the Living story was going on we had new stuff to play all the time!

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

This seems like a silly argument when you know things like China release is still going on and the WvW league is still going on they are not going to add much to the pve side till these are done with. Why would you think that they would or even should add in new pve content during these down times? It would mess up WvW leagues even more and China side could miss more pve content if things are pushed too early before there worlds are comply stabilized.

From a pure logic stand point how would added in pve content help the game atm? Keep in mind “i want more things to do” is not logic that an imposable statement that not really base in truth because every one always wants more things to do at every point of life in every point of a game.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

You make it sound like they never released anything when they’ve been adding new content every 2 weeks! I’d pay other MMOs to do that not the other way round personally. Permanent or temporary while the Living story was going on we had new stuff to play all the time!

Just a clarification. They haven’t just added every 2 weeks. They’ve added AND removed every 2 weeks. There’s a big difference.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

lordkrall.7241

Just a clarification. They haven’t just added every 2 weeks. They’ve added AND removed every 2 weeks. There’s a big difference.

Not really relevant though, since they must have added stuff in order to be able to remove it, right?
And quite a bit of stuff did stay for at least 4 weeks for that matter.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

The developers are heads-down working on the future content releases. We are also in the middle of launching the game in China. Launching a game in a new country is kind of a big deal. Because of the team’s focus on game development, they are not able to dedicate as much time out of their workday to posting on the forums. While they might have time to read the forums, they don’t necessarily have time to engage in discussion.

I know it’s hard to be patient in this down time between Living World seasons, but please bear with us. As much as you’re craving new content to play, the team is dying for you to play it.

Unfortunately, I can’t give you any information about future content, whether it’s plot spoilers or timeline. I can say that, as a player, I am very excited about the next season, and I cannot wait to see what you all think about it.

Please know that your feedback continues to be important, our devs are still reading (though they may not have time to respond), and we sincerely appreciate your support and you sharing all your thoughts with us (critical or otherwise).

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

(edited by Regina Buenaobra.6193)

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

thanks for the update. looking forward to whatever comes next!

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So again not deciding for anyone what fun / grind is. Just that if it was true that reward makes content fun then statements like its too grindy to get that awesome rewards shouldnt exist and they do which in my opinion disproves the theory that rewards can make content fun. You can be happy to get the reward not disagreeing with that and that happiness can make the effort worth while sure but it will not make the content any more fun to play then it would be for you to play it without any reward associated with it. Thats all I am saying.

If you’re saying what I think you’re saying — you’re saying that if rewards make content fun, then there shouldn’t be complaints about grind to get a reward. That involves a false assumption — that the same people who are complaining are the ones who find the reward to be fun. What about all the people you postulated in an earlier post who want the reward because they consider having it a must?

Fun is subjective (which I know you know). That means universal statements that involve fun are generally unwise.

Your later point, about the separation of the components of play (reward and content, and whether they generate fun or not) also brings up a point. While logic might lead us to believe that one can make that separation, by doing so you are assuming that people are always going to be logical. They aren’t always, especially with themselves.

People fool themselves all the time. To illustrate, I’ll use an anecdote. The main tank in a guild does 10-man raid Y many times. He continually talks in chat about how much fun he’s having. Zero indication he’s bored with the content, even though completing the raid is rote at this point. On the Zth run, he gets a shield drop that completes his tier set, and is deliriously happy. When next week rolls around, he’s suddenly reluctant to do the raid. He complains constantly about how boring it is, and how he’d rather be on his alt.

This is a real occurrence, and I’ve seen this pattern multiple times on different people.

So, what happened? Did he coincidentally reach boredom on the fun—→boredom continuum at the same time he got his drop? Was he lying about having fun in earlier runs — even though he cannot have been getting the dopamine response from the content itself once the raid was on farm? Did he change his mind in the week between runs? Did he just think the content was fun as long as anticipation was fueling his desire to be there? Was he bored when runs started, but stuck around for his drop, and actually began enjoying the content once he lost himself in playing his role as tank?

If you are correct, that it is possible to separate content from reward when talking about fun, then you should at least be able to eliminate at least one of the above possibilities.

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Any thought of returning old temporary content while we wait? Stuff like super adventure box, queens gauntlet, zephyr sanctum are all great places that are already in the game, just no way to reach them. It would take maybe 10 minutes to enable their use again and presto, you have temporary (hopefully permanent) content while new patches come out. Everyone is happier*.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Ms Regina Buenaobra, each and every one of us can’t wait for new, fresh and permanent content as opposed to the temporary one. Then, certainly, expecting patience from those of us that have been with you [ANet] for almost 2 years now will be more than justifiable.

Hope to see expansion-worthy content ASAP.

Cheers for your response

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

The problem is that with the huge changes to boss rotation and the megaserver a lot of people have become disconnected from the “old content” that they filled their time with and enjoyed doing.

There is a real disconnect out there and while the players could usually survive that a fair while, with the situation as it is, things are not good.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Thank you for the heads up, Regina. We miss you all dearly and hope everything in China is going well

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I will start,

A new big boss experience fighting Scarlet’s hologram
A whole new experience in Lion’s Arch while it was being invaded by Scarlet
A new “world-map” called the Tower of Nightmares
A new big world boss in Lornar’s Pass
and so on and so on

The list of content we got is huge, maybe bigger than what most other games have done in the same time frame.

What are you saying? It’s temporary? Yes, but it’s what kept me busy all these months, the reason I was logging in (and many others I’m sure) was to follow the story every 2 weeks and do whatever new thing had just appeared.

It was what kept the game fresh every 2 weeks instead of releasing an expansion, finishing it in 1 week, then get bored for the next 23 months + 2 weeks until the next expansion is out.

You don’t call it content, but I do, it doesn’t matter to me if it’s not available for new or returning players, a game doesn’t need to cater only to the new or returning players, offering something new to their CURRENT players is equally important, something expansions never do.

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

The developers are heads-down working on the future content releases. We are also in the middle of launching the game in China. Launching a game in a new country is kind of a big deal. Because of the team’s focus on game development, they are not able to dedicate as much time out of their workday to posting on the forums. While they might have time to read the forums, they don’t necessarily have time to engage in discussion.

I know it’s hard to be patient in this down time between Living World seasons, but please bear with us. As much as you’re craving new content to play, the team is dying for you to play it.

Unfortunately, I can’t give you any information about future content, whether it’s plot spoilers or timeline. I can say that, as a player, I am very excited about the next season, and I cannot wait to see what you all think about it.

Please know that your feedback continues to be important, our devs are still reading (though they may not have time to respond), and we sincerely appreciate your support and you sharing all your thoughts with us (critical or otherwise).

Thanks for at least replying, Regina. I’ve got a 500 person guild that is slowly losing numbers day in and day out because of the China release and lack of GW2 content. Thankfully, GW2 isn’t subscription base so I know they’ll be back at some point…I sure would like to have my friends playing again ASAP though

Maguuma Guardian

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

God, people like you make this community feel so childish…

Why do you feel the need to insult people? Totally un-necessary and adds nothing to the argument.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

I’m down from 4-6 hours a day to about the 20 minuets it takes to finish dailies.

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

I hate how they always make it seem like we are just children banging on the table for more food. “Be patient children”.

I started to doubt what was going on in gw2 over a year ago. And I keep telling myself to give them time…every…single…release.

Many of the problems we started with from day one are still in the game. In addition the game is stale and needs a real update.

Not to mention the most infuriating fact of it all is they haven’t even DECIDED how they will go about giving us the updates we actually want (box xpac or whatever the alternative will be called.)

But of course it’s us being impatient.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

kitten we’re spoiled. Used to be MMOs would release maybe a months worth of content every four to six months and people would lap it up. Now people are so used to having new things to do every two weeks that withdrawal symptoms are setting in. Perspective people! Perspective!

#TeamJadeQuarry

jweez.7214

I agree they have added content but not really what a large percentage of players are looking for. I think that is apparent and proven true by how often threads like this pop up. I don’t know if those of us who want deeper content like new dungeons new weapons etc are just playing the wrong game or what.

And that’s not a threat to quit like a lot of people do. It’s just me staying that I no longer know what demographic gw2 is for.

jweez.7214

kitten we’re spoiled. Used to be MMOs would release maybe a months worth of content every four to six months and people would lap it up. Now people are so used to having new things to do every two weeks that withdrawal symptoms are setting in. Perspective people! Perspective!

Yep now we get content that can be completed in 5 hours every two weeks that is taken away if it is actually cool.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Yep now we get content that can be completed in 5 hours every two weeks that is taken away if it is actually cool.

It’s never 5 hours only, at least for the majority of people. But for the “hardcore” players 5 hours every 2 weeks is still more than what you get from an expansion every 12 months. Those fast players finish expansions in less than 1 week (getting to max level, finishing the story etc)

Posted by: cerulean moth.2743

cerulean moth.2743

I’m feeling the lull, but hope it’s more of a “calm before the storm” moment. ^^

In the meantime, I’ve been finishing my achievements and gearing my alts to take on Mordremoth!

I think this break is also giving the wave of new players time to level and ready themselves for the next Living Story, and is giving our WvW population a chance to focus on the Tourney. Nothing wrong with either of those things.

Can’t wait for a new Dungeon though.

jweez.7214

It’s never 5 hours only, at least for the majority of people. But for the “hardcore” players 5 hours every 2 weeks is still more than what you get from an expansion every 12 months. Those fast players finish expansions in less than 1 week (getting to max level, finishing the story etc)

I know. I am exaggerating to make the point of people like myself who think Ls updates are an inferior supplement to the traditional box xpac.

Galen Grey.4709

I cant speak for you of course but for me it wasnt that much of a difference at all. what is important to me is to have new stuff to enjoy. I am not the type of player who enjoys repeating the same dungeon for months at a time. I just find that boring sorry. And by the way with the exception of a few mmo most mmos remove content when they add content. They might not physically remove it but they still effectively remove it by increasing level cap and increasing gear tiers. With no down scaling older content becomes unplayable not to mention that quests which makes up the bulk of any MMO are generally designed to be played once and then thats it. Gw2 might have removed a large part of the new content it added true but it still left a larger variety of content at max level then most other mmos out there.

Again not talking for other just saying why i like this model more then the traditional way.

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

Gw1 Cantha Expansion

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

Galen Grey.4709

If you’re saying what I think you’re saying — you’re saying that if rewards make content fun, then there shouldn’t be complaints about grind to get a reward. That involves a false assumption — that the same people who are complaining are the ones who find the reward to be fun. What about all the people you postulated in an earlier post who want the reward because they consider having it a must?

True but I think they’re one and the same. What makes you happy about getting a reward? any in game reward is not really going to make any difference in your life, its virtual! a reward is merely a vehicle that greats some form of desire and then another vehicle for you to satisfy that desire and the fun element is your happiness when you satisfy that desire. Now there are many ways to create desire. A desire can be wanting to look better or it can be wanted to be most powerful. Depending on the individual the most powerful driver will change. I for example value more cosmetic rewards then I do a better powercurve especially in a game like Gw2 that power doesnt matter as much as it does in other games if at all. But thats me. In anycase I dont think it makes a difference, its always a must have if its something you desire so I dont think its a variable in what we’re discussing.

Fun is subjective (which I know you know). That means universal statements that involve fun are generally unwise.

Your later point, about the separation of the components of play (reward and content, and whether they generate fun or not) also brings up a point. While logic might lead us to believe that one can make that separation, by doing so you are assuming that people are always going to be logical. They aren’t always, especially with themselves.

People fool themselves all the time.
snip…

If you are correct, that it is possible to separate content from reward when talking about fun, then you should at least be able to eliminate at least one of the above possibilities.

I completely agree that some people fool themselves and yes its a major headache and probably makes such an argument impossible to proof or disproof because if you find an exception its impossible to distinguish if they genuinely feel that way or if perhaps they might unknowningly projecting the joy of getting the reward on the content or vice versa of course.

Only thing left that I would say supports my opinion (but by no means irrefutably confirms it, thats not what I am saying here) is that such a bias applies to both sides. some people will feel joy where there is none and some people will feel there is no joy where actually there is. But if we look at say a ascended gear which is a rewards thats very desired I am sure you’ll agree feedback was very one sided. People complained that it was very grindy to get and the only feedback to the contrary that I have ever seen simply suggested that to make acquiring ascended gear fun what one had to do is abandon any attempts of acquiring ascended gear quickly and instead slow down, play the game get the gear when you earn the stuff required playing the content you want. Honestly didnt see a single post stating the poster disagreed that working to get an ascended gear was quite enjoyable as is no need to change any strategy which I would imagine you would expect some if indeed reward could make the content itself enjoyable. That is also including the fact there are people who enjoy content that most people would consider grindy which makes this situation infinitely worst most likely!

Devata.6589

~

Challenge helps but so does rarety and working towards it even if it’s less challeging.

well if you didnt skip it you’d have your mini already no?

Only if it was a ganranteed drop. Else if the drop-rate would be 1/100 it’s likely you still don’t have it.

I agree but if you do that they you’ll never come back and fight this boss again would you? in which case its not that different then temp content in gw2.

No because the boss still have that mini to offer that you want that the stuff at your level do not drop. So you have a reason to do both.

well thats a bummer I totally agree. Its never nice when you dont win the lottery but its also what makes the lottery so sweet when you win. Everything has its cost.

No, there is nothing sweet about it being temporary. You do it more then eventually you get rewarded for it. That is sweet. Having stuff you like being removed from the game is not even close to sweet imho.

Devata.6589

Thank you for your response.

Personally I don’t mind there is no next season yet. I tent to like the game better without a ‘do it now or miss out forever’ feeling. But I would love to see an expansion with some great permanent content in the future.

Devata.6589

The opposite. I am having more fun (with the exception that the mega-server causes problems for the game) now then when they have those Ls patches. I did have periods of more fun and that was always when they had a break or almost no LS. During SAB 1, SAB 2 was also at a break combined with the Tequatl patch, just after Wintersday and now.

Most people here are not complaining about not having a LS patch but they are asking when we will get a real expansion (-like content). Maybe might have expected that as the finally of S1 but that did not happen. And now almost 2 years after the release there is still no new about good new content coming up. That is what many people here complain about, not about having no LS patch for a few weeks.

Posted by: ExAstris.8527

ExAstris.8527

Guys, guys…if the lack of new “living” world content is driving you nuts, do what I did: go play an actual RPG. My Steam library is overflowing with a backlog of goodness. I almost forgot what it felt like to play a cohesive story that didn’t require kittenloads of grind. And it feels GOOOOOOOD!

If Saturday morning cartoon vibes turn you off, try the Witcher series.
If your exploration itch isn’t being scratched, Oblivion or Skyrim will ease your troubles.
Need to flex your mad skills, Demon’s/Dark Souls will prove what a bad kitten you are!

If your getting burned out in Guild Wars 2, it’s healthy to go be somewhere else for a while. It’s not like you’ll be wasting your monthly sub if you go.

Gwen Dlynn; human engineer (1st class)
Sir Reginald Doom; Charr necromancer (wip)
Aurora Skykin; Norn guardian (wip)

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

anet is so cheap they can’t have more than 1 studio?

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

How much do you have?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Or maybe the income gained wouldn’t justify the expenditure in opening a second studio?

It’s not a case of ‘being too cheap’.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Or maybe the income gained wouldn’t justify the expenditure in opening a second studio?

It’s not a case of ‘being too cheap’.

Its not upto Anet, its NCSoft money to dictate.
Why pony up for another studio which will not bring in any more profit lol?
Yea absolutely as a player I wish they (NCsoft) would allocate more resources to anet because this game has a lot of potential but right now, I don’t think NCsoft is all that worried about their player base growing impatient. They can afford to wait it out.

Anet’s hands are tied by NCsoft. This game will continue to see ACTUAL meaningful, permanant content (not LS nonsense) at a snails pace as long as NCsoft dictates.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

For the love of god, Buy more employees. More people= job will be done faster. = Profit!

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Yes, but you were all excited about Season 1, and we all know how that turned out. Why has Anet seemingly decided that chasing potential players in China is worth turning off your current players by essentially going silent in terms of non customer service related posts? Your players are dying for information, and coming here, and saying, YET AGAIN (this was a constant theme in season 1), that you can’t tell us anything, but it’s going to be super awesome, doesn’t help. We feel like we’re talking into a black hole, and the company just doesn’t care about it’s current fanbase, because it seems millions of players in china. What are you going to do to counteract this feeling?