Changes to Amulets for Season 2

in PvP

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Immediately after the conclusion of PvP League Season 1, we removed several PvP amulets from rotation because they pushed gameplay in a direction that we weren’t happy with. These amulets were then replaced with four new four-stat amulets, none of which has either Toughness or Vitality as a primary stat.

In keeping with the intended trend of aligning four-stat amulets, we also are planning to remove the Vigilant Amulet from rotation for the start of Season 2, as it currently features a primary stat of 1050 Toughness in addition to its other stats.

We are posting these details now to let players know about this plan in advance of the start of Season 2 so that they can adjust their builds accordingly. PvP League Season 2 begins on February 23, 2016.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

First of all, thanks for the communication! We the playerbase really appreciate it. Now, I have no issue with the removal of this amulet, but I’m a bit confused: does this announcement mean that the removal of the vigilant amulet is a top balance priority? There has been a lot of community feedback in this subforum regarding major balance-breaking skills/traits*, and Vigilant Amulet ranks nowhere on this list. Will any of the community concerns be addressed in the Feb. 23 balance patch?

*For example:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Disapointing-balance-preview/first#post5989378
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Revert-Nov-4-Deathly-Chill-buff-Balance/first#post5958280
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Unranked-Is-a-Poor-Laboratory/first#post5993945
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Minor-balance-tweaks-on-23th/first#post5994028
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Is-core-equal-to-elite-specs-desirable/first#post5991156
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Some-Constructive-thoughts-on-Balance/first#post5967639

(edited by Salamander.2504)

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I don’t mind the amulet change. However, this is still a “lazy fix” and not sufficient anyway. The problem is the insane amount of sustain some classes can get through their skill and traits. In particular, scrapper and herald can even play full offense amulet and be as tanky as a cleric guardian.

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Now, I have no issue with the removal of this amulet, but I’m a bit confused: does this announcement mean that the removal of the vigilant amulet is a top balance priority?

no, it means the code is well written enough that its not a disaster to remove it quickly. probably unlike many of the issues youre linking.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Posted by: Coxy.5269

Coxy.5269

Sigh. There goes boonshare mes. Which was already close to trash anyway.

Was anybody actually complaining about this? Will a new amulet which has concentration as a stat be introduced?

Nyiiooxxxxxxxeeeyyyyy

in PvP

Posted by: Silverthorn.8576

Silverthorn.8576

So if we follow this logic Crusader amulet should be delete too?

in PvP

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Was anybody actually complaining about this? Will a new amulet which has concentration as a stat be introduced?

Anet sure is going out of their way to make sure Mesmers cant even come up with build that will give them a fair chance in sPvP.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Immediately after the conclusion of PvP League Season 1, we removed several PvP amulets from rotation because they pushed gameplay in a direction that we weren’t happy with. These amulets were then replaced with four new four-stat amulets, none of which has either Toughness or Vitality as a primary stat.

In keeping with the intended trend of aligning four-stat amulets, we also are planning to remove the Vigilant Amulet from rotation for the start of Season 2, as it currently features a primary stat of 1050 Toughness in addition to its other stats.

We are posting these details now to let players know about this plan in advance of the start of Season 2 so that they can adjust their builds accordingly. PvP League Season 2 begins on February 23, 2016.

Hi, thank your the heads up. Please clarify the status of the Crusader amulet ?

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

First of all, thanks for the communication! We the playerbase really appreciate it. Now, I have no issue with the removal of this amulet, but I’m a bit confused: does this announcement mean that the removal of the vigilant amulet is a top balance priority?

It means the vigilant amulet is being removed and they are communicating that fact. Don’t read into it more than that.

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Thank you very much for the heads up.

Do not get discouraged by the feedback, it is only saying that some other stuff is alse affecting the “too tanky” theme.

Please continue with such open posts, thank you.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: JayAction.9056

JayAction.9056

Thanks! Great Change!

I assume the dev team is not a fan of their combat system being turned into a game of who can sit on a point the longest without dying, rather than actually scoring kills? I for one am not lol.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Can you just change the Crusader Amulet’s name and make it either:
1050 Power/Ferocity 560 Toughness/HP

Or 1050 Power/Ferocity 560 Precision/Toughness? This would be a fun amulet for classes with significant crit-fillers
Please consider when deciding the fate of Crusaders. <3

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: The Ace.9105

The Ace.9105

Also currently cleric amulet on ele is making the next meta be bunker meta also if nothing is done and damage reduced.

in PvP

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Oh joy….the bursty meta is going to be so much more fun. rolls eyes

in PvP

The Ace.9105

I mean exact same kind of meta than the last one where no one dies and the first to capture a point wins.

in PvP

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

I mean exact same kind of meta than the last one where no one dies and the first to capture a point wins.

Because you can’t kill the ele yourself right? If it still causes any problems the problem isn’t the amulet…

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

in PvP

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Can you just change the Crusader Amulet’s name and make it either:
1050 Power/Ferocity 560 Toughness/HP

Or 1050 Power/Ferocity 560 Precision/Toughness? This would be a fun amulet for classes with significant crit-fillers
Please consider when deciding the fate of Crusaders. <3

Crusader is supposed to be with healing pwer, you can take both cavalir/valkiry.

in PvP

Posted by: Engel.6029

Engel.6029

So this is the minor balance change mentioned in the blog yesterday?

in PvP

The Ace.9105

Because you can’t kill the ele yourself right? If it still causes any problems the problem isn’t the amulet…

It’s not about killing the ele myself. Like i said no one dies. Imagine having bunker mesmer that heals allies at the same time.

in PvP

Varezenem.2813

It’s not about killing the ele myself. Like i said no one dies. Imagine having bunker mesmer that heals allies at the same time.

Clerics amulet has a inherent weakness to condition damage while the power damage mitigation provided by all the toughness it gives is about 33% on light armoured and 29% on heavy.
If this amount is a problem the problem is more likely to be with the tempest than the amulet.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

in PvP

The Ace.9105

Clerics amulet has a inherent weakness to condition damage while the power damage mitigation provided by all the toughness it gives is about 33% on light armoured and 29% on heavy.
If this amount is a problem the problem is more likely to be with the tempest than the amulet.

Well, ele with any other amulet is basically useless and I think ele is the only class that uses cleric effectively atm.

in PvP

Posted by: warherox.7943

warherox.7943

Toughness doesn’t do that much anyway. You still can get crit for 6-8k with 3k+ armor.

Doctor Beetus – Burst Engi Maguuma
twitch.tv/doctorbeetus

in PvP

Varezenem.2813

Well, ele with any other amulet is basically useless and I think ele is the only class that uses cleric effectively atm.

But not in the past and I can’t remember any build that was OP while wearing it before.
I’m not against tempest improvements but if they caused the same problem while wearing two different amulets, the problem isn’t the amulet.

Clerics can be used by revenants and druids it’s just less effective.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

in PvP

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

First of all, thanks for the communication! We the playerbase really appreciate it. Now, I have no issue with the removal of this amulet, but I’m a bit confused: does this announcement mean that the removal of the vigilant amulet is a top balance priority? There has been a lot of community feedback in this subforum regarding major balance-breaking skills/traits*, and Vigilant Amulet ranks nowhere on this list. Will any of the community concerns be addressed in the Feb. 23 balance patch?

*For example:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Disapointing-balance-preview/first#post5989378
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Revert-Nov-4-Deathly-Chill-buff-Balance/first#post5958280
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Unranked-Is-a-Poor-Laboratory/first#post5993945
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Minor-balance-tweaks-on-23th/first#post5994028
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Is-core-equal-to-elite-specs-desirable/first#post5991156
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Some-Constructive-thoughts-on-Balance/first#post5967639

Oh sure, you can be certain that the PvP Team is aware of and reading the other threads and posts on the subject of balance. It was super nice of you to make a list for them, though!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

When are you guys planning on releasing the other balance notes? I’m especially curious about the nerfs to scrappers.

in PvP

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Ahh, the Crusader Amulet. Good question! Yep, the team is aware of concerns about that amulet and they’ll be addressing those in the very near future.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

in PvP

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

So this is the minor balance change mentioned in the blog yesterday?

This change wasn’t part of those referred to in yesterday’s blog post. This was an unrelated tweak.

When are you guys planning on releasing the other balance notes? I’m especially curious about the nerfs to scrappers.

Waiiit a minute! We don’t nerf! We “adjust!”

I am not sure about other balance notes. If I get more info I’ll post. This was what the team mentioned today (plus the crusader bit) but again, if more info becomes post-able, we’ll get it out there to you!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

in PvP

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Q: Are you heading towards more of a oneshotting game, to make it look more interesting to all twitch kiddies out there? Live fast die young?
I get a feeling thieves are in for a real treat the next few months.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Will this include the “Wanderer’s” and “Clerics” Amulet?

They both have high toughness, and just like Settlers amulet that was removed, it’s my clutch against DH trap burst while still being able to participate in an engagement.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Sharen Graves.1276

Sharen Graves.1276

Quaggan knows we don’t want a bursty meta or a bunker meta. Both are not fun at all. Removing amulet(s) (again) is a lazy way of doing something like oh lets say balance traits and specs. The main reason people went tanky is because of the power creep that has not been addressed. Why because esports.

Removing of this amulet is yet again removing builds. At this point they might as will just remove all the amulets and just leave Marauder and Viper.

in PvP

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

At this point they might as will just remove all the amulets and just leave Marauder and Viper.

Actually, I agree. Remove them all and find out the true profession balance in this game. I would think lots of people are in for a major surprise if that were to happen.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in PvP

The Ace.9105

But not in the past and I can’t remember any build that was OP while wearing it before.
I’m not against tempest improvements but if they caused the same problem while wearing two different amulets, the problem isn’t the amulet.

Clerics can be used by revenants and druids it’s just less effective.

Long time before cele amulet eles used cleric and tanked 3v1. It was op and then ele was nerfed to make sure that ele wasn’t really viable in pvp. Then after some time they buffed ele and it made ele viable again.

(edited by The Ace.9105)

in PvP

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

If we continue with this meta, it will be less about the fights and more about rotations and where you can +1 the node. Not to say that it’s not strategic but since people pick the path of least resistance, ganking sides will be more prevalent. Also, with the loss of defense, AoE continues to become better. Bringing more AoE to provide more area pressure instead of direct damage will bring us into a meta where if you get to the point first to setup the burst, you win. Which is exactly where we were with getting to the point first and bunkering the longest to win. Defense is a valid form of counter play and we are having less options to counter burst which is less counter play in general. AoE needs to be reviewed and other skills to see where damage can be shaved to bring more diversity to team compositions.

in PvP

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

What the ****? Did anyone actually complain about this amulet? Don’t just remove stuff randomly because it has the toughness stat. Seriously, the logic the devs have behind the changes in this game is absolutely ridiculous and it gets worse with every patch. I don’t see why a simple solution like removing 500~ toughness and providing more power or concentration/expertise isn’t being done (even though removing all defensive amulets is a terrible idea to begin with and I’m not even going to pretend that 1050 toughness alone is a problem).
At the very least, provide an amulet that still has concentration and expertise (or at least just concentration).

Ikr? I’m pretty sure no one had a major problem with it. If there’s no replacement, I’m going to be rather upset.
The worst part is that one of the devs won’t even legitimately respond to criticism of this poor attempt at “balancing”. “Balancing” by removing content is utterly idiotic, and if I were in their shoes as a designer, I’d be embarrassed.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

well, 1050 toughness, without vitality and healing power seems pretty kitten balanced to me. not even druids could make good use of this amulets, infact they don’t they go clerics.

if 1050 toughness was the problem. then one could have switched concentration with toughness. 560 toughness on mesmer is really only 2500 ish. with 15 k hp.

seems perfectly fair to me.

I do hope that this is not going to be a trend, in which we just remove all amulets that could be considered tanky,together killing several builds just because certain classes have an very high sustain.

as others have noticed, bunker/support mesmer is gone, this time he’s perfectly killable, espically with the alarchity nerfs and now the build is death.

not all amulets have the same effects on each class

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Oh look, more amulet removals for no reason. Here’s a hint: Amulets weren’t the problem, apart from cele and (arguably) sentinels. Even for the couple that weren’t fine, deletion is not the correct answer, number changes are. If you really want to balance the game, try, you know, actually balancing skills and traits, particularly the new ones HoT brought in.

in PvP

Posted by: Chiltonium.7643

Chiltonium.7643

Used to love sPvP in this game. When I first started playing my friends and I did like 75% spvp, and the rest the PvE game. Used to make youtube videos and guides, and now I don’t even play sPvP.

The meta has migrated so heavily to be like the PvE meta where everyone builds zerker and just mashes their face on the keyboard. Counterplay has become “wait until your teammate gets one shot, then one shot the person who one shot them.” It isn’t PvE though and you can only counter and dodge so much from players who act much much MUCH faster than NPCs who attack like snails in recognizable patterns.

The removal of toughness amulets was stupid, as toughness wasn’t even that effective against power and crit damage, and not effective AT ALL against conditions.

In the end, it’s not my game, it’s anets, but from someone who’s been PvPing since UO, it’s stale, boring, and makes me not even want to play right now. And definitely dont want to WATCH it, which is bad for any MLG plans.

in PvP

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Hmmm… I had basically decided that playing mesmer was going to make me unpopular enough on pvp ranked teams in the next season that I had started working on a crusader’s ranger alt.

Now it’s a bit unclear if crusader’s amulet will be available.

I guess if there were a couple tweaks on Feb 23 to make mesmer a little more viable (more illusion health, shorter f2 cooldown, shorter cooldown on chrono-specific skills like shield and wells given the loss of alacrity), I would be just as happy going back to mesmer

Otherwise, I’m stuck for right now trying to figure out what / if I have a build I want to play in this pvp season.

Eager to hear the final decisions on crusaders and any balance changes

in PvP

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

“We’re removing the Vigilant amulet because it offers 1050 toughness”

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cavalier_Amulet
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Knight_Amulet
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crusader_Amulet

I mean, if you guys aren’t going to use logic, at least stop pretending that you have any.

in PvP

Posted by: Lucifer.7289

Lucifer.7289

Thanks! Great Change!

I assume the dev team is not a fan of their combat system being turned into a game of who can sit on a point the longest without dying, rather than actually scoring kills? I for one am not lol.

Then they need to come up with a better game mode than conquest. Conquest is hardly competitive. Conquest will always revolve around people trying to come up with some type of bunker build or close to one to hold points.

They need to you know….put effort into class balance and tweaking mechanics, because removing defensive ammys is not going to fix balance.

Playing musical chairs is hardly pvp, I laugh so hard when people say “rotating and having map awareness in conquest is a hardcore Esport skill game” like are you on drugs???

Conquest game mode is a joke for anything competitive, glad arena net can make people happy with free money though for pretending their game is competitive.

Hellion

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I mean, if you guys aren’t going to use logic, at least stop pretending that you have any.

They said 4-stat amulet logic. 3 stats have a total of 1200 of a particular defensive stat, where as a main stat Defensive amulet with 4 stats (assuming 2 are defensive) would be closer to 1610. They already said they were looking at Crusader Amulet.

That said, though, that leaves Cleric’s in a bit of a pickle because their combined total is 1800 worth of defensive stat points because it holsters two 900-point defensive slots. I’m not really sure what to say about clerics. Maybe they don’t feel its as much of an issue because it has very little damage potential? It is a weird decision though.

Cavalier and Knights though really aren’t a problem.

Edit: I’d consider Vigilant’s Concentration benefit to be a defense-oriented (or at least Support oriented) stat, and the same argument could be made with Expertise. Though, I’m not sure the amulet really was a problem, I guess they’re just trying to be consistent.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

A community manager posting in the pvp forums ? Got lost ?

Is dev team aware that it will be hard to remove the Marauder amulet to reduce Scrapper’s tankiness ? At some point they might have to take a look at the professions themselves to actually balance the game.

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

(edited by Ara.4569)

in PvP

Posted by: warherox.7943

warherox.7943

They better not touch Cleric’s amulet.

Doctor Beetus – Burst Engi Maguuma
twitch.tv/doctorbeetus

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Isn’t this getting overboard?

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Varezenem.2813

They said 4-stat amulet logic. 3 stats have a total of 1200 of a particular defensive stat, where as a main stat Defensive amulet with 4 stats (assuming 2 are defensive) would be closer to 1610. They already said they were looking at Crusader Amulet.

That said, though, that leaves Cleric’s in a bit of a pickle because their combined total is 1800 worth of defensive stat points because it holsters two 900-point defensive slots. I’m not really sure what to say about clerics. Maybe they don’t feel its as much of an issue because it has very little damage potential? It is a weird decision though.

Cavalier and Knights though really aren’t a problem.

Edit: I’d consider Vigilant’s Concentration benefit to be a defense-oriented (or at least Support oriented) stat, and the same argument could be made with Expertise. Though, I’m not sure the amulet really was a problem, I guess they’re just trying to be consistent.

It’s actually 2100 in defensive status but it has no damage and has no vit also the extra toughness gives only about 10% extra damage reduction (vs 20~23%) over 4 stats secondary.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

(edited by Varezenem.2813)

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

crusader and cleric amulet are really fine.
they should leave them both alone.

in PvP

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Does anyone actually use Crusader’s Amulet? Seems like the only ones that can are those that can generate high Crit chance without Precision (not many can) as well as have good Healing power scaling.

So, basically Blighter’s Boon/Decimate Defenses Reapers? Or Spite/Blood/Soul Reaping core Necros?

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Does anyone actually use Crusader’s Amulet? Seems like the only ones that can are those that can generate high Crit chance without Precision (not many can) as well as have good Healing power scaling.

So, basically Blighter’s Boon/Decimate Defenses Reapers? Or Spite/Blood/Soul Reaping core Necros?

rangers with remorseless can make use of them to a certain degree.
and there are runes / sigils which grant guaranteed critical hits.

well, warriors could make use of crusader amulet, but warrior is not meta.

in PvP

Posted by: perko.8309

perko.8309

Ahh, the Crusader Amulet. Good question! Yep, the team is aware of concerns about that amulet and they’ll be addressing those in the very near future.

Concerns? As in … Please don’t take it away! Thanks, Gaile.

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

Thanks! Great Change!

Funny, because the one game mode they decided throw in all of their chips in is the one where the primary function towards winning the game is standing on the point to begin with. I could go on for pages on how removing amulets isn’t the right decision, but rather balancing the game modes individually, or fixing the bugs first, or toning down elite specializations. But doing so would be wasting my own time.

Countless