WvW Season One Rewards Are Unacceptable

in WvW

Posted by: Righteous.4307

Righteous.4307

ArenaNet,
I am sure that over the course of the next week that you will see countless threads popping up complaining about the rewards found in the WvW Season One reward chest. I don’t want to waste your time, but to be blunt something needs to be done. The rewards are… not only underwhelming, but for the health of WvW moving forward I feel that the current reward is inexcusable. Rewards in for events in GW2 (and any game) serve a few key functions:

1. Motivate players to partake in an event.
2. Provide adequate time/reward compensation to players who participate.
3. Grant players a feeling of accomplishment.

The current WvW Season One rewards do none of the above as the same reward for a 7 week undertaking is equal to about 30-40 minutes farming Frostgorge Sound. The implications may be greater than you previously anticipated. The full impact of the lackluster Season One reward should not be underestimated. Many servers in Bronze/Silver league worked diligently to recruit and motivate players who had never participated in the WvW game mode. Given the insignificant current reward getting people to try (and continue to play WvW) will only become harder. If no action is taken, when WvW Season 2 rolls around fewer players will be motivated to participate because the reward is not worth the investment of their time. Furthermore, as I’m sure you can see, the vast majority of the Season One participants feel that the reward was inadequate compared to their time investment. Finally, I think that it is safe to say that the current rewards provide absolutely no sense of accomplishment for anyone.

So, here is my clear and concise recommendation:

Amend the WvW Season One reward chest by providing the following-

1. Provide a unique, worthwhile reward for every player on every server who earned the reward key. Here are some suggestions:
a. An ascended quality back piece with a unique skin that is only awarded at the end of a season. (Think Karka Shell or Fractal Capacitor)
b. Utilize the release of the upcoming ascended armor release and reward players with a single set of ascended armor.
c. A single unique weapon skin (allow each player select one weapon from a set) that is only awarded in the WvW Season chests.

2. Remove the 250 count from the Gold/Silver/Bronze Dolyak finishers and make them permanent until the beginning of Season 2. The top 3 servers in each league should be given the gold for first, silver for second, and bronze for third. Essentially you would be giving 9 servers finishers rather than only 3. Clearly this would provide less insensitive for players to rush to a handful of servers and more intensive for players to participate spread throughout the range of servers so that nobody has to deal with a 4-5 hour queue.

Many are suggesting that we as a community simply accept the current reward and move on. However I would encourage you to consider the long term implications of inadequate rewards on the GW2 playerbase between now and the end of Season 2. ArenaNet has these forums so that the players have a clear channel of communication to the developers. Luckily, ArenaNet does listen and is taking strides at showing that with the Collaborative Discussion as well as removing the Flamekissed Light Armor Skin being removed/reworked. Make your voice heard.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander
http://mugw2.enjin.com/

(edited by Righteous.4307)

in WvW

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

The thing is, Anet originally planned to have worthwhile rewards for the servers finishing in the top spots. However, several (justified) forum threads about the injustice in such a system, with most scores already set before the match-ups even started, made them see the flaw in that. So instead of giving top servers good, and the bottom servers bad rewards, they gave the bottom servers bad, and the top servers slightly less bad rewards.

in WvW

Righteous.4307

The thing is, Anet originally planned to have worthwhile rewards for the servers finishing in the top spots. However, several (justified) forum threads about the injustice in such a system, with most scores already set before the match-ups even started, made them see the flaw in that. So instead of giving top servers good, and the bottom servers bad rewards, they gave the bottom servers bad, and the top servers slightly less bad rewards.

I understand your point. I feel that the dolyak finisher is going to be meh and after a week or so most people would rather have the gemstore ones. However I feel that EVERY player who earned the key on EVERY server should be given a reward that makes them feel rewarded for their time. Currently nobody feels like the reward is adequate when compared to the time investment.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Draghmar.2594

Draghmar.2594

I must say I’m quite disappointment with rewards. I was pretty sure it would be somehow RNG but I thought that the pool of rewards would have much higher level items. My server has second place and I’ve got ONE cheap exotic, TWO golds and lots of greens and tomes/scrolls of (useless) knowledge. It was the hardest chest for me to get from the beginning of the game because I had to spent a lot of time on it and do things other then grind (this was good actually – I only wanted to point out that the key took a lots of effort)…And this is how I was rewarded…few event runs would got me same (if not better) results.
It made me especially sad when I saw someone that has got ascended rifle…

(edited by Draghmar.2594)

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

When EotM comes, the whole PPT meta goes right out the door.

There will not be a Season 2.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: gebrechen.5643

gebrechen.5643

Can’t Anet send us shirts instead?
I’d take a “7 weeks hardcore WvW and all I got was that lousy t-shirt” or something like that.

Some people die on epidemic, other have skill.
- great warlord Waha of Sea 2981bc

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Reset gold Tier 1 match:

No queues on most Piken maps.
SFR players reporting zero queues .. on EB.

Yup.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Arnon.1563

Arnon.1563

This was very easy to complete over the whole season. Took almost no effort for me to complete JPs and ruins were the only thing I did out of the normal. The reward was fine if ya didn’t OCD out on finishing it the first couple days.

in WvW

Posted by: Chess Jurist.3580

Chess Jurist.3580

Guildwars stated that they want to be different from all the other mmorpgs. Instead of rewarding lucrative rewards, they reward you with a swift kick to the face. IT’S THEIR WAY OF THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX!

As a 9 year Guild Wars veteran, I think it’s almost time for me to hangup the old cape; oh wait that’s right, we don’t even get capes in gw2…

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

So they ran this season, messed up a lot of servers with people transferring at the random hope of a good reward, we then got nailed after 7 weeks with the reward chest.

Anyway you know this is the WvW forum not the sPvP forum, dev’s don’t come in here.

in WvW

Draghmar.2594

Sigh…I liked the idea that was behind this chest. It motivated to play more in WvW then I would normally do – I was really looking forward to it. But for the second season? I’m already know that I won’t…I will play of course in WvW on it’s own because I like this game mode but I will not spend additional time for it and chances are that there will be lots of other activities (and duties) that will get higher priority. Sorry AN – you’ve made bad decisions here.

in WvW

Posted by: LampGhost.9658

LampGhost.9658

agreed. finishers not permanent, mini is uglier than the 1 from gemstore. i got same amount as exotics as my pve friends. why no wvw related rewards?

Black Lion Key [AIM]
~ Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: Sko.5048

Sko.5048

ArenaNet,
I am sure that over the course of the next week that you will see countless threads popping up complaining about the rewards found in the WvW Season One reward chest. I don’t want to waste your time, but to be blunt something needs to be done. The rewards are… not only underwhelming, but for the health of WvW moving forward I feel that the current reward is inexcusable. Rewards in for events in GW2 (and any game) serve a few key functions:

1. Motivate players to partake in an event.
2. Provide adequate time/reward compensation to players who participate.
3. Grant players a feeling of accomplishment.

The current WvW Season One rewards do none of the above as the same reward for a 7 week undertaking is equal to about 30-40 minutes farming Frostgorge Sound. The implications may be greater than you previously anticipated. The full impact of the lackluster Season One reward should not be underestimated. Many servers in Bronze/Silver league worked diligently to recruit and motivate players who had never participated in the WvW game mode. Given the insignificant current reward getting people to try (and continue to play WvW) will only become harder. If no action is taken, when WvW Season 2 rolls around fewer players will be motivated to participate because the reward is not worth the investment of their time. Furthermore, as I’m sure you can see, the vast majority of the Season One participants feel that the reward was inadequate compared to their time investment. Finally, I think that it is safe to say that the current rewards provide absolutely no sense of accomplishment for anyone.

So, here is my clear and concise recommendation:

Amend the WvW Season One reward chest by providing the following-

1. Provide a unique, worthwhile reward for every player on every server who earned the reward key. Here are some suggestions:
a. An ascended quality back piece with a unique skin that is only awarded at the end of a season. (Think Karka Shell or Fractal Capacitor)
b. Utilize the release of the upcoming ascended armor release and reward players with a single set of ascended armor.
c. A single unique weapon skin (allow each player select one weapon from a set) that is only awarded in the WvW Season chests.

2. Remove the 250 count from the Gold/Silver/Bronze Dolyak finishers and make them permanent until the beginning of Season 2.

Many are suggesting that we as a community simply accept the current reward and move on. However I would encourage you to consider the long term implications of inadequate rewards on the GW2 playerbase between now and the end of Season 2. ArenaNet has these forums so that the players have a clear channel of communication to the developers. Luckily, ArenaNet does listen and is taking strides at showing that with the Collaborative Discussion as well as removing the Flamekissed Light Armor Skin being removed/reworked. Make your voice heard.

Agree 100%.

Bigbadsanta – Yes, the I’m that big norn thief in HOD that looks like Santa Claus.

in WvW

Posted by: Psykoyul.9147

Psykoyul.9147

Seriously people… what are you talking about??
Everyone is talking about this so called “seven week investment”… I call BS on this.
You could have this reward in two ways:
- rushing it if you’re not a usual WvWer. Why not. The 15 achievments needed could easily be done in a week, a few days if you really wanted it done asap. In that case, the reward is not that meh for only a few days. And if it makes people only farming for reward stay away from WvW: good. The massive afflux of players only wishing to farm achievements was a pain in the… foot… for the first weeks of league.
- doing nothing special. Nothing special at all. I am a dedicated WvW player and i just got my key by playing. So basically this chest is pure bonus. Okay I’m exagerating, I had to find someone to port me in ONE puzzle jump, which I never would have done otherwise. 10minutes investment. So all the rewards in that chest are a satisfying bonus.
So stop it please. If you are just here for reward, don’t farm it next time and everyone will be happy. If you enjoy WvW, then just enjoy the free extra candies.

GM of Soul Reapers [SR] JQ

in WvW

Posted by: Basket of Boxes.1976

Basket of Boxes.1976

I am glad the reward sucks, won’t be as much stacking if there is a season 2

in WvW

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Guildwars stated that they want to be different from all the other mmorpgs. Instead of rewarding lucrative rewards, they reward you with a swift kick to the face. IT’S THEIR WAY OF THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX!

As a 9 year Guild Wars veteran, I think it’s almost time for me to hangup the old cape; oh wait that’s right, we don’t even get capes in gw2…

Remind me again of the amazing rewards you got in GW1????

Take those rose colored glasses off please. How bout those amazing rewards in MMOs where you gotta roll for loot, bet that was a fun 3 hour raid to get nothing.

in WvW

Righteous.4307

Fixing the reward and fixing the stacking are two different things. I think that people agree that 4 hour queues and the population disparity are significant problems and need to be addressed, however the current lack of a compelling reward is a separate issue and should also be addressed.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Well i was looking forward to get my chest but now i dont even care tbh , was expecting the finisher to be permanent and at least 1 choice of an ascended weapon meh

will not be playing wvw in future

[WM]give us in game ladder

in WvW

Righteous.4307

will not be playing wvw in future

ArenaNet… this is exactly what you (and we as a community do not want. Please do not let the multitude of posts like this on threads like this fall on deaf ears.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Toumai.4812

Toumai.4812

So stop it please. If you are just here for reward, don’t farm it next time and everyone will be happy. If you enjoy WvW, then just enjoy the free extra candies.

Come on, are you serious ???
Arena can also remove rewards in pve with this argument … Because if you enjoy pve no need extra candies also …

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

They can’t give top rewards, all it would do is encourage server stacking. I havn’t checked, are we able to open this chest yet?

I would fully expect either all the rewards to be basically the same for people or perhaps a very slight increase to those who finished in higher spots.

Imagine this, suppose Anet decided to give an ascended to the winner, how exactly does it make the rest of the servers/players feel who have absolutely no chance in winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Predator.7321

Predator.7321

They can’t give top rewards, all it would do is encourage server stacking. I havn’t checked, are we able to open this chest yet?

I would fully expect either all the rewards to be basically the same for people or perhaps a very slight increase to those who finished in higher spots.

Imagine this, suppose Anet decided to give an ascended to the winner, how exactly does it make the rest of the servers/players feel who have absolutely no chance in winning?

give weapon for everyone special skin for winners

in WvW

Righteous.4307

I am suggesting that EVERY player on EVERY server receive better rewards. Furthermore the only reward that I am suggesting Season winners get is a permanent finisher based on your servers placement in your bracket. I feel like every server had players that worked hard. I am from HoD and as a result I get the Dolyak Finisher, but I know that SF and DH (to say nothing of those who placed #2 and #3 in Silver, Gold, and EU Bronze, Silver and Gold) worked hard and improved over the course of season one and I cant help but feel empathy for their players who undoubtedly feel robbed.

Giving more reward to players will encourage more players to play WvW. Giving finishers out to additional servers would encourage players on stacked servers to spread out not stack harder.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

So the reward chests have been sent? Before the season is over?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

These rewards will only accomplish two things.

1. They encourage more bandwagoning for better rewards.
2. They discourage people who usually PvE but came to WvW for rewards to not bother with WvW for the next season because it isn’t worth their time or effort at all. This hurts the population.

in WvW

Posted by: notalent.4102

notalent.4102

The whole point of having a season reward chest is to give people a incentive and reward for earning their WvW meta achievements, the rewards should scale depending on which spot your server placed. There should be a distinction between winners and losers. I’m on Maguuma…we failed HARD this season and I think it’s completely unfair for the servers that earned their spots to be given bad rewards to the losers don’t whine.

in WvW

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

First and Foremost

• If you thought the rewards would be good, I sincerely feel sorry for you and your naïveté. (<—woah fancy iPhone correction)

Second

• If ANET would like a decent idea. Create an exclusive WvW armor and weapon set. Give a token or two each season for a piece of this armor and weapon for completing the meta. SHAZAM! Progression.

Third

• #magswag, the only reward you need.
Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Unless they do some serious course corrections, there also won’t be a reason to play in season 2. As much as I love facing Fort Aspenwood every other week. Next time, I’ll just pass.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in WvW

Righteous.4307

If ANET would like a decent idea. Create an exclusive WvW armor and weapon set. Give a token or two each season for a piece of this armor and weapon for completing the meta. SHAZAM! Progression.

I actually like this idea. Perhaps there could be a full set of exclusive WvW skins. Completing your Season One reward chest gives you 1 token to redeem for a single piece of the set. Additional pieces of the set can be earned by trading in badges of honor. This would give players a rewarding feeling and also provide incentive to continue adventuring in WvW.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Syde.5961

Syde.5961

Truthfully, the reward really is not worth it….first of all the dolyak finisher isn’t even permanent? That’s just plain dumb! If nothing else, that should be changed. If it’s limited use I doubt I will ever use, just because I’d like to be able to see that my server actually accomplished something.
I’ve one other thing to say about this finisher. Why are the PvP tourny finishers permanent when the WvW one is not? I feel like that’s not okay.

Og Salmonder [oT] – Warrior
Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Watch Arena Net completely ignore this.

Who on earth thought green trash weapons would make a good reward? I mean seriously? Who? Why? Greens. Seriously. Are they out of touch with their own game?

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

give weapon for everyone special skin for winners

Something like this, I think could work.. the variance is very little.

People have to realize that if the rewards for placing higher are either moderate or substantially better, it encourages server stacking. I don’t want to put words in people’s mouths, but I would venture to think this is probably the worst thing that could ever happen to WvW.

Again, I havn’t seen what’s in the chest because it seems I havn’t gotten one yet. I personally thing the reward system is not the way to lure or encourage people to play WvW; I think offering a completely unique “grinding” experience for achievements/rewards is the way to go. I say grind because I can’t think of a better word.

If there is a Season 2, this is what I’d much rather see:

- All maps now come with their own set of achievements (each season)
- Once the meta achievement is met on a map, a chest with GREAT stuff is rewarded for completing that map (strive for all 4 chests)
- New legendaries are introduced to WvW that can only be completed with materials found in WvW.
- New nodes added for materials needed for legendary weapon
- Maybe new skins awarded for certain objectives completed in WvW

Things like this, I would think would encourage more people to join WvW, not giving people better or worse rewards depending on how they place.

in WvW

Posted by: Typhus.3502

Typhus.3502

I’m so relieved. This means most of the pve population that takes up spots and refuses to get on teamspeak will stick to frost-gorge? Hopefully the abysmal rewards will stop a max exodus of transfers to our server, s1 queues were bad enough.

[TW] Pumped

in WvW

Posted by: Rosy.5194

Rosy.5194

Look at it like this: we have a monthly achievement, right? And we all know that it’s darned easy to get in casual play usually within a week, but you’re given 30 days to get the meta achievement accomplished.

And what do you get for the monthly achievement? 50s, 20 coins, 1 essence of luck, 1 flask of liquid karma, but most importantly: 10 laurels.

The WvW Season 1 meta was 7 weeks long. Logic says the reward should be “worth” almost twice the monthly meta reward. Let’s say 20 laurels, for easier math…

For 5 laurels, I can get 2 rare or exotic gears. So 20 laurels should be worth 8 rare or exotic level gears.

So yeah, we’re getting seriously underwhelmed with the reward chest.

Rosy Dawn – [CNB]

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People playing WvW for rewards are doing it wrong.

We have been playing WvW since release without any real rewards, and people haven’t really cared too much about it, but now that we get rewards and people (I am going to be a bit full of myself and assume that most of them are not actual WvW:ers but rather PvE:ers only wanting the achievements) whine about them being too bad.

It is an impossible situation.
If they made the rewards too good what would happen for the next league?
Most people that care about the rewards would swarm to the winning servers from this league, in order to “guarantee” nice loot next season.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

For those disappointed in the rewards, this probably sums up your feelings nicely …

http://www.priceisrightfail.com/

(make sure you have sound on)

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Syde.5961

Syde.5961

Personally, as a Bronze league server, I liked having the PvE player base come into WvW. We got a greater fielding of players for WvW and some people actually started liking WvW and we get some more constant WvW players for the next season.

Og Salmonder [oT] – Warrior
Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Posted by: Basket of Boxes.1976

Basket of Boxes.1976

Unless they do some serious course corrections, there also won’t be a reason to play in season 2. As much as I love facing Fort Aspenwood every other week. Next time, I’ll just pass.

If the people who just played WvW for the rewards didn’t play season 2 I don’t see that as such a bad thing. That doly finisher better be really nice otherwise those gems could have been used to just buy a few of the good ones from the gem store. Turning those gems into gold… imagine how many more greens you could have bought!

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

I’m so relieved. This means most of the pve population that takes up spots and refuses to get on teamspeak will stick to frost-gorge?

…haha that is hilarious.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in WvW

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

In my mind, Season 1 should’ve been more extravagant just so people would spread out and remember their first time. It’s said that “Good word spreads fast, but bad word even faster”.
At least we know we’ve lost the interest of PvErs who could’ve been our new force. Next season won’t be popular like this one

As a WvWer I don’t get why we didn’t get Badges and WvW stuff… We already had gazillion of ascended materials from all the Lords

I’d be much more happy with 250 Badges, Superior Blueprints and 400 gemsit

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

(edited by Nabuko Darayon.9645)

in WvW

Posted by: Zurish.4852

Zurish.4852

Honestly cannot believe you’re actually complaining about the rewards. Think about the number of people that actually participated in the season whom only farmed their achievements and then left without really ever attributing to anything to that server’s position in the league… things may seem “unique” to a certain population, but you’ll just have thousands of people running around with the same items and it’d be meaningless.

Really, what you should be taking away from Season 1 is a sense of pride in how your server did, in your ability to rally and work together. Think about how much fun you actually had during the season with having that many more people participating and getting in to WvW. Think about how now, out of season, your server has potential to tier up (or down if you did horribly).

in WvW

Posted by: Giotto.2607

Giotto.2607

where did you guys even see the rewards?????

in WvW

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I’m so relieved. This means most of the pve population that takes up spots and refuses to get on teamspeak will stick to frost-gorge? Hopefully the abysmal rewards will stop a max exodus of transfers to our server, s1 queues were bad enough.

heres the problem with your blackgate only thinking, almost every other server could use more players.

also blackgate specifically recruited people, dont complain now.

if anet balances rewards around blackgate, WvW will fail, blackgate is not indicitive of wvw as a whole.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Makes me LOL at all those band wagon jumpers who paid to win the league. Enjoy your reward.

in WvW

Posted by: matty.1052

matty.1052

Most WvW players knew going in this would be a ‘two blues and a green’ type reward. It’s been a running joke the entire season. Anyone who honestly expected more hasn’t played much WvW. Or was incredibly naive.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: grabemx.9836

grabemx.9836

This entire thread is based on the flawed theory that ANET cares about WvW.

Grabemx – Worst Necro NA
[SIC] – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

The European WvW has already cycled and they received their chests.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in WvW

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Europe got theirs already.

in WvW

Draghmar.2594

Really, what you should be taking away from Season 1 is a sense of pride in how your server did, in your ability to rally and work together.

So you’re basically saying that Olympic medals and other similar trophies could be just gone, right? Nobody wants them?

in WvW

Posted by: Slomo.1029

Slomo.1029

Go ingame, open the chest you recieved with the key you got for the meta achievment.

~ Gandara