More Skimpy Armor Please? [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I see nothing wrong in wanting to expose fur patterns and Sylvari glow…nor do I find it embarrassing and offensive. Plants and fur…quite alright. Perhaps expanding cultural armors for these races would solve the problem? Because I can only see Sylvari in plant-like armor (most fitting).
As for Humans and Norn…I think female Norn have quite a laaaarge variety of revealing armor…as well as female Humans…and it can be offensive towards certain people.
As kmaeropa said, GW1 armors were very form fitting and weren’t offensive nor were they tasteless. The only armor set which bugged me a lot was the Necro tattoo set, since she was in nothing else but underwear with tattoos (but so was the male). So I can freely say that GW1 armor sets were more than well balanced.

The monk set was the same deal. It never bothered me. Skin or covered makes little difference. My earlier judgement for the thread was purely based upon the behaviour (tone, if you’d prefer) of the posters.

One side wanted options, the other side seems to think that the ones who want options are mentally damaged. (Misogynist was the most polite term. Morally lacking, perverted, “drooling, sweaty teenagers”, pretty sure, for the uptight crowd, there’s something about judging not, lest you yourself… nah… wasted effort.)

My attitude is that more variety, even the skimpy type, is good. Add lots of choices, and see where people’s taste leads them. (It’s a foregone conclusion, btw. Aversion to skin is learned – even babies have been proven to prefer skin or very bright colours. Plain covering is for prudes, and god-botherers. Biology will trump prudery each and every time.)

I’ll live by your rules in your home, you can live by your rules in my home, but don’t you dare presume to tell me to live by your rules while in my own home.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I still agree with the idea (female too btw, thinking it is only young boys that want it is ignorant)
But it isn’t really helping to make a new topic on it. Especially when the other one is still running.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Suggestions

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

Male here. And i personally think more skimpy clothing would be a bad thing. First of all this game has a more grounded style than most MMOs out there. They really did make most of the armor (i mean actual warrior heavy armor) look like it would actually protect you in combat. and they made light and medium armor look like something someone in the medieval/ Victorian ages would actually wear. Changing that to appeal to the male audience would go completely against the original style this game was going for. If you need more evidence for this look at GW1 armor.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Axvil.2839

Axvil.2839

I don’t necessarily think that “demand” is an appropriate word to use in a post.
Asking for something usually nets better results..
However, I do agree with the OP, it would be nice to have a wider selection of clothing (revealing/non-revealing) available, for both male and female characters.
Then people would have the -option- to dress however they want to.

in Suggestions

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

I’m going to go out on a limb here and call you a fake female gamer just like every other thread like this that the OP claims this. You know after years and years and years of female gamers trying to voice OTHERWISE. Not to mention how they are so happy to finally get noticed by so many gaming sites citing the problems such as this one within the gaming industry. It is so unlikely that after years of trying for everything else the movement would suddenly do a 180 and people like you would exist in mass.

Even more so when many races like the Norn and Human light armor is just pathetic and skimpy as well. Not to mention how tasteless many of the female order armors are when compared to the males. The Vigil male armor is great but the female armor for a group known for HEAVY IN YOUR FACE COMBAT makes no sense at all. Same really goes for scholars called the Priory. Those who take great pains to research the unknown and are know for shutting out the world TOTALLY WANT PEOPLE TO SEE THEIR HIPS AND MIDRIFF! The only space it is even is with the Whispers as both men and women were bondage garbage.

There is already to much skimpy garbage in this game. It is refreshing to at least have some choices in dungeon gear to get away from this crap for once in a MMORPG.

Oh.. and you could also be a troll as well but whatever.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

ahem ok. first of all, if you’d like, i can give you my husband’s info so he can confirm that i am, in deed, completely 100% female. second? i agree, i don’t think i would have stated this request as a demand. but that’s just me. last?

i have, currently, 13 characters that i bounce between. all female. all have their own personalities, likes, dislikes, etc etc etc. some of them like a more formal look, some of them like a more playful look, some of them like a more barbaric look, and some of them just like showing off their pure smexiness. yes, i’m an rper at heart.

the point i’d like to make, quite simply, is that i was overall thoroughly delighted at the availability of SENSIBLE armor selections for those of my females who prefer a more sensible wardrobe. but i’m pretty disappointed, for my characters who like things a little more risque, at the options available. my husband was, if not the first, then one of the very first, to combine the vigil leather legs with the duelist top on his ranger, because he wanted her to be sexy as well as powerful. in order to GET that look you MUST mix and match armor pieces, which means sometimes your dyes don’t quite match up. and so on and so on.

so, tl/dr — love the availability to have fully clothed/armored characters, would be thoroughly delighted with some more options for a little more playful or sexy sets.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

More armour looks in general would be nice, both skimpy and ‘classy’.

Aurora Glade [EU]

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShadyNZL.9018

ShadyNZL.9018

If the females get skimpier clothes I will be happy – but for the love of Melandru do not give the men the option of a Mankini! Last thing I want to see is a Norn male’s bits in my face while I’m fighting Teq…

in Suggestions

Posted by: GuardianOMS.8067

GuardianOMS.8067

After all, this is an MMO and we should be able to dress our characters the way we want it to be..

What makes people think just because it’s a video game, they should get what they want and have all the rights in the world? It’s like, someone baked a vanilla cake for you and all your friends to enjoy and you start ranting about how it should have had some chocolate chips in it to make it better because they made it for you , so you should be fully satisfied.

Not saying voicing your opinion of what you want is wrong or anything, but kitten stop acting entitled to every little thing.

Sgt Killjoy – “Pedantic” “babe” and “bff” of Saiyr
The devs don’t care about WvW so I’m gonna kill players in PvE!

in Suggestions

Posted by: GuardianOMS.8067

GuardianOMS.8067

If the females get skimpier clothes I will be happy – but for the love of Melandru do not give the men the option of a Mankini! Last thing I want to see is a Norn male’s bits in my face while I’m fighting Teq…

That’s kind of sexist, but lady bits are okay? Bits for everyone or bits for no one. Bits all around! Bits as far as the eye can see!

Sgt Killjoy – “Pedantic” “babe” and “bff” of Saiyr
The devs don’t care about WvW so I’m gonna kill players in PvE!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turkashi.4502

Turkashi.4502

Great, let’s let the art style become just like a Korean factory MMO!

Also, I’d rather not have a better idea what AFKs are doing while they’re, er, afk in that armor…

I though Anet or NC soft was originaly a Korean.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caatalyst.7289

Caatalyst.7289

I see nothing wrong in wanting to expose fur patterns and Sylvari glow…nor do I find it embarrassing and offensive. Plants and fur…quite alright. Perhaps expanding cultural armors for these races would solve the problem? Because I can only see Sylvari in plant-like armor (most fitting).
As for Humans and Norn…I think female Norn have quite a laaaarge variety of revealing armor…as well as female Humans…and it can be offensive towards certain people.
As kmaeropa said, GW1 armors were very form fitting and weren’t offensive nor were they tasteless. The only armor set which bugged me a lot was the Necro tattoo set, since she was in nothing else but underwear with tattoos (but so was the male). So I can freely say that GW1 armor sets were more than well balanced.

The monk set was the same deal. It never bothered me. Skin or covered makes little difference. My earlier judgement for the thread was purely based upon the behaviour (tone, if you’d prefer) of the posters.

One side wanted options, the other side seems to think that the ones who want options are mentally damaged. (Misogynist was the most polite term. Morally lacking, perverted, “drooling, sweaty teenagers”, pretty sure, for the uptight crowd, there’s something about judging not, lest you yourself… nah… wasted effort.)

My attitude is that more variety, even the skimpy type, is good. Add lots of choices, and see where people’s taste leads them. (It’s a foregone conclusion, btw. Aversion to skin is learned – even babies have been proven to prefer skin or very bright colours. Plain covering is for prudes, and god-botherers. Biology will trump prudery each and every time.)

I’ll live by your rules in your home, you can live by your rules in my home, but don’t you dare presume to tell me to live by your rules while in my own home.

This is exactly why I felt it necesarry to respond to this thread. A hand ful of players should not be able to dictate to others what they should be able to enjoy in a ‘fantasy’ game.

in Suggestions

Caatalyst.7289

Please read the rest of my post before replying, so you get full understanding of what I’m trying to say.

(The Reasoning)

I understand that there will be some who disagrees and some who do agrees. But there are lots of fully clothed armour types for those who don’t like the skimpy stuff but it would be really nice if there was more skimpy stuff for those who do like it.

(I’m a female myself and me and my friends happen to like revealing armor.)

Oh and I do not see it as objectifying women… some women LIKE to show skin, strong women that are proud of their body and don’t care about the stereotypes of society.

After all, this is an MMO and we should be able to dress our characters the way we want it to be. You shouldn’t hate someone for wanting to look like this, it isn’t your character.

All
we are asking is for more choices for those who do like them. And I’m sure, that there are way more people who prefer and don’t mind them then there are people who dislike them.

Where did somewhat immature and whimsical, but also absolutely essential staples of fantasy fashion go?

This game is lacking Skimpy Armor and we need more. I’m not saying every single piece of gear should be skimpy, I’m saying there should be at least a few more.

I’m not saying that skimpy armor should just be for females, in fact there is a lot of males gaming characters in which their armor is revealing. Such as, Kratos from God of Wars and Leonidas from Spartan total warriors.

Before you say revealing armor is not realistic at all, does gloves and chest pieces with flames or floating cubes realistic?
I’d like to remind you that this game and other MMOs alike, where people carry a zoo in their pockets and fling fire from their fingertips, 200 foot tall boss being destroyed, wrecked and somehow held back by a single 3 foot tall Asura and all evil in the world mysteriously revives itself after time even when proclaimed defeated. There is enough applied magic and game-mechanic-elements that are more an offense to logic and immersion than presumably enchanted jockstrap providing the same protection as slightly less enchanted spiky armored greaves with skulls on their kneecaps.

One point I agree with is various Asian allegedly-free-games using skimpy armor to an atrocious extent as a marketing gimmick, but I’m not asking for that. I ask for choice in the matter.

Please remember to stay on topic and keep up a constructive and positive discussion on these forums.
All
we are asking
is for more choices for those who do like them.
I mean lets be honest here, there is probably way more to those that don’t mind them and like them then there are those that do not like them. When describe female characters in the world of FAN ARTS, you’d see that most of them are in more skin revealing armor. Most of female fan arts are in revealing armor! why is that? because it just appeal to people more, not just to male but also to female.
It just looks good and sexy, even females are willing to cosplay that way and enter competition that way because it just looks sexy.

Ash why did you start this thread again?

I agreed with your original post.

More outfits like the human Cultural T3 for medium armour wearers.

But re-posting the same thread isn’t going to help the cause. The game can’t really get much more revealing without showing genitals. But I agree there should be more of the human Cult T3 style armour for medium wearers as we are lumped with mostly trench coats.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

I would like to see more options for male norn and charr medium i just cant find any i want.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blur.3465

Blur.3465

Nothing gives people rights to ’’demand’’ anything, besides I wouldn’t mind if we had a laaaaarge variety of everything, because we do LACK decent light armor.
Also those who want skimpy armor can’t claim to have all the rights for it certainly offends a certain number of people.
I do understand that majority of you want skimpy clothes, but just how skimpy you want them?
Seriously, seeing a lot of half-naked people running around makes the game lose on its seriousness and decency…
Let’s keep it nice and decent, a lot of beautiful armors can be made without making it look extreme and offensive. When one looks at the list of GW1 armors, you can see the perfect balance…
And I am certain that those who wish skimpy armor would love some of these armor parts…and I am also certain they won’t ’’die’’ if ANet doesn’t add too extreme clothes.
I don’t want this to turn just like the other MMO’s….if you really want skimpy armor this badly…you can always go play Tera, Aion, etc.
Also…this is a 12+ game.
Nothing will ruin your ‘’rights of freedom’’ if some decency is kept at appropriate level.
Excluding Charr and Sylvari out of this.

Feanor

in Suggestions

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Great, let’s let the art style become just like a Korean factory MMO!

Also, I’d rather not have a better idea what AFKs are doing while they’re, er, afk in that armor…

I though Anet or NC soft was originaly a Korean.

ArenaNet has always been a US-based company, it just so happens that their games are produced by the Korean-based company NCSoft. ArenaNet has had almost complete freedom in the way they developed Guild Wars 2, with the exception of a few details (some possibly being the removal of Asian-themes from the game, and the rushed release).

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Yet, you show up in our screens in offensively skimpy armor. That is not okey.

Yeah it is okay. Why? Because I payed my way to play just like you. How I show up on your screen has nothing to do with you.

You insist that we wish to affect your “free will”?
Well, that is only because you wish to force your “free will” on us.

That’s idiotic. No one’s forcing you to dress up your character in skimpy outfits. If you have a problem seeing other people wearing what they want, then I truly feel sorry for you. Beyond specific restrictions (like walking around nude and other such laws), you can wear what you want. The limitation here is ‘keep it T rated’ so I hardly see how adding more options is forcing anyone nor offending just because you don’t like it.

Consider this: If how you clothed yourself had zero effect on others, devs would be able to sell 13+ and 18+ versions of the game, where 13+ version wouldn’t have the option to run practically naked yourself, while still seeing the bondage / kitten armor that 18+ players wear.
So, I take it you understand now that “it’s only an option” is not really a valid argument.

Irrelevant. No one’s asking for mature wear.

Frankly, I find it offensive that my gaming experience must be influenced by your tactless demands. It’s annoying.

And I find your annoyance amusing. If all it takes is to wear skimpy stuff, I’d love to go in game and troll you with no armor and just jump around you.

If you’re offended by someone’s opinion, don’t come to a forum where opinions are discussed.

It was more a sensationalist post as, honestly, I don’t care that you don’t like skimpy things. I’ll keep asking for them, praise the devs for adding things I like and there’s nothing you can do about that.

When I stand in an outpost like Lion’s Arch at any given day, there’s side-boob to my left and thong + cleavage to my right. I think its simply in poor taste. It has always been in poor taste in every single other MMO, and I make no excuses for GW2 (even if they have a limited selection of normal outfits).

I can tell you’re close-minded. No one in the dev team needs to be listening to close-minded people.

Heck, if you read my first post in this thread, I’m asking for more skimpy armor for MALES. That you’d bring up side-boob, light armor and such when people are asking for options WHERE THERE’S LITTLE OPTION AVAILABLE just because you’ve got some feminist opinion on it…yeah, don’t even need to bother.

Add more skimpy medium armor for both genders so my ranger has more options there.
Add more skimpy heavy armor for both genders.
Add more skimpy armor for males in general.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kmaeropa.3986

kmaeropa.3986

I’m going to go out on a limb here and call you a fake female gamer just like every other thread like this that the OP claims this. You know after years and years and years of female gamers trying to voice OTHERWISE. Not to mention how they are so happy to finally get noticed by so many gaming sites citing the problems such as this one within the gaming industry. It is so unlikely that after years of trying for everything else the movement would suddenly do a 180 and people like you would exist in mass.

Even more so when many races like the Norn and Human light armor is just pathetic and skimpy as well. Not to mention how tasteless many of the female order armors are when compared to the males. The Vigil male armor is great but the female armor for a group known for HEAVY IN YOUR FACE COMBAT makes no sense at all. Same really goes for scholars called the Priory. Those who take great pains to research the unknown and are know for shutting out the world TOTALLY WANT PEOPLE TO SEE THEIR HIPS AND MIDRIFF! The only space it is even is with the Whispers as both men and women were bondage garbage.

There is already to much skimpy garbage in this game. It is refreshing to at least have some choices in dungeon gear to get away from this crap for once in a MMORPG.

Oh.. and you could also be a troll as well but whatever.

I saw that no one replied to you so I will. There’s no reason to make personal attacks or claims against anyone on this thread. There is no such thing as a “fake female gamer” and each person can play this game however they desire within the limits of ANets rules and regulations. I hate to be the white knight but HOW someone chooses to play this game should be beyond this thread’s topic and isn’t necessary here.

But I agree to an extent with the latter of your post. That’s why we were discussing how nice some of armor in Guild Wars 1, it seemed to have a more realistic feel to it and it would be nice to see that introduced into this game. Not to mention that even though that armors covered a large amount of body up they were still pleasantly form fitting and nice to look at.

Bubbles Utonium X, Khali Mae – Maguuma [PYRO]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

just because you’ve got some feminist opinion on it…yeah, don’t even need to bother.

What is feminist about my opinion? Is it feminist to criticize a clear double standard in an MMO regarding skimpy clothing? Is it feminist to point out that steel thongs and chain mail bikinis are pretty embarrassing?

You don’t need to be feminist to point that out. You could be male or female and still find it offensive and degrading. Defending this side of the argument doesn’t automatically deserve a “feminist” label. If anything it reveals a lot of presumptions and bias on your part.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

be blunt and say “we need a bikini armor”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I think my argument would be for more armor options across the board, which I’m sure ANet will do as they release more content.

As far as skimpy armor choices…it’s not ALWAYS about sex appeal (although I won’t try to say it doesn’t play a part). Honestly, I chose skimpy armors for several of my characters to show off some of the racial traits (the Norn tattoos and the Sylvari bioluminescence especially) since with most of the realistic armors those are obscured to the point that you’ll never see them again.

I agree that skimpy armors should be balanced between both genders.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SijjvraVisz.7159

SijjvraVisz.7159

They could start calling the game Playboy Wars 2 then, I guess…

I vote NO. I’m sick of MMO’s looking like underwear shows and making women into the usual vapid sex objects. This game has plenty of trashy looking armor already. Coupled with the fact that most of the female faces look about 12 years old, it’s already entered into the realm of disturbing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

there is a double standard in this game indeed, i propose a solution for both male and female, what about a tampax armor set, is that skimpy enough?

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Anet, there are many people with extremist points of view on how much skin should be visible in game. Some claim it undermines women to show more skin ingame. But few people have said they want the armor to look like Tera. These extremists forget that many women in the 60s and 70s fought hard to express themselves in the sexual revolution.

Instead of armor like Tera. How about armor that’s a little more skimpy but stylish.
Like these examples.
*first image: shows the type of form fitting armor this game is missing
*2nd image: Is skimpy without being like Tera
*3rd image: Or right, need more mini dresses/shirts

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Caatalyst.7289

Anet, there are many people with extremist points of view on how much skin should be visible in game. Some claim it undermines women to show more skin ingame. But few people have said they want the armor to look like Tera. These extremists forget that many women in the 60s and 70s fought hard to express themselves in the sexual revolution.

Instead of armor like Tera. How about armor that’s a little more skimpy but stylish.
Like these examples.

Great armour, I think that looks really cool and it’s not too skimpy at all. I’m sick of having to use the word skimpy. At the end of the day we like it because it looks sexy and seductive, male or female, young or old. There is nothing to be ashamed of feeling that way and it doesn’t make us perverted. We are only human beings after all.

Nobody is asking to be running around in chain mail thongs or braziers. We’d just like to see more armour for medium wearers like the human cultural T3 set.

As someone mentioned earlier, it would be nice to see more medium armour that compliments both the male and female figures.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Smugmane.2835

Smugmane.2835

It comes down to 1 fundamental fact – if you have a single armor set, where both sets, male and female, are designed to be practical then it’s fair. If the same armor set is skimpy and revealing for both genders, then it’s fair. If within the same set only the male one is practical and closed, and female revealing, that’s sexist, I’m sorry.

I think this is the best point made in the thread so far. It’s fine if there is more of one kind of armor or another as long as it looks similar on both genders. I can’t count the amount of times that I’ve had potential transmog sets for my female characters ruined by a difference between male and female skin coverage.

Anyways, this would be nothing for me (or anyone that shares my opinion) to be upset about if certain sets and pieces didn’t look objectively better on another gender.

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

It comes down to 1 fundamental fact – if you have a single armor set, where both sets, male and female, are designed to be practical then it’s fair. If the same armor set is skimpy and revealing for both genders, then it’s fair. If within the same set only the male one is practical and closed, and female revealing, that’s sexist, I’m sorry.

I think this is the best point made in the thread so far. It’s fine if there is more of one kind of armor or another as long as it looks similar on both genders. I can’t count the amount of times that I’ve had potential transmog sets for my female characters ruined by a difference between male and female skin coverage.

Anyways, this would be nothing for me (or anyone that shares my opinion) to be upset about if certain sets and pieces didn’t look objectively better on another gender.

The “looks similar on both genders” people are just making a excuse. Tera male armor does look skimpy too. They just want players to look ultra conservative.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

I’m sorry… but I’m going to have to disagree with this point of view. Ya’ll may view it as sexist to offer separate male and female variants to an armor set. I however, find it more sexist to force the male armor variants on females.

If I was told in RL that I cant wear a dress to an event because all the males will be wearing a suit and tie, and that I a female will have to dress the same. I wouldn’t call that equality. If I wanted to dress like a male, I’d dress like a male out of my own free will, I don’t want to be told that I have to dress like a male.

Also, currently a large percentage of Medium and Heavy armors are the same across both male and female. There are only minor changes to the female versions, such as a lower neck line on several medium armors and a female breast-plate on heavy armors.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

(edited by Panda.1967)

in Suggestions

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I’m sorry… but I’m going to have to disagree with this point of view. Ya’ll may view it as sexist to offer separate male and female variants to an armor set. I however, find it more sexist to force the male armor variants on females.

If I was told in RL that I cant wear a dress to an event because all the males will be wearing a suit and tie, and that I a female will have to dress the same. I wouldn’t call that equality. If I wanted to dress like a male, I’d dress like a male out of my own free will, I don’t want to be told that I have to dress like a male.

Also, currently a large percentage of Medium and Heavy armors are the same across both male and female. There are only minor changes to the female versions, such as a lower neck line on several medium armors and a female breast-plate on heavy armors.

I think you missed the point here. I wasn’t talking about how the armors should look completely 100% the same, but simply considering skin coverage. If I have a full plate Vigil armor for male, why should female version, as it is now, have opening to reveal boobs? See? Unfair and it looks stupid. I was just saying we should avoid such examples. There is a subtle way to provide armor equality without one side looking awkward.

And how in the world is sexist to offer male armor variants on females? It’s armor. Not clothing. We’re not talking about dresses and suits here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: jayb.1329

jayb.1329

man….ytf do people who play video games have to be so kittenn weird and ask for stuff like this?

like seriously….it’s a video game stop being a weird pervert.

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

man….ytf do people who play video games have to be so kittenn weird and ask for stuff like this?

like seriously….it’s a video game stop being a weird pervert.

Nothing weird of perverted in wanting my avatar to look good. It’s quite normal.

(edited by Onshidesigns.1069)

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

I think you missed the point here. I wasn’t talking about how the armors should look completely 100% the same, but simply considering skin coverage. If I have a full plate Vigil armor for male, why should female version, as it is now, have opening to reveal boobs? See? Unfair and it looks stupid. I was just saying we should avoid such examples. There is a subtle way to provide armor equality without one side looking awkward.

And how in the world is sexist to offer male armor variants on females? It’s armor. Not clothing. We’re not talking about dresses and suits here.

Ok, lets look at this hypotheticly. If they design say 5 new armor sets. In 1 armor set the male and female versions are virtually identical. In the next set the female version has a few minor alterations but still looks like the male version as a whole. On the third set the female version is an elegant dress while the male version is a simplistic suit. The fourth set has a traditional plate armor look for both male and female. While the fifth and final set has a traditional fantasy appeal to the female armor and a full coverage standard armor look to the male set yet the style between the two armors is still the same despite the difference in skin coverage.

Now Armors 1, 2, and 4 go through unaltered but armors 3 and 5 are forced to have the female armor changed to match the male armor more. All because a dress does not equal a suit, and a tastefully revealing and form fitting fantasy style plate doesn’t equal a contemporary full coverage plate.

Forced changes like that is sexist. There could be nothing wrong or offensive about the female versions. But the standpoint that someone might claim “it objectifies females” as a basis for denying the option is still sexist.

Do I wan’t chain-mail bikini’s as some people have suggested in this thread? HELL NO! Do I want an armored thong? HELL KITTEN NO!!!! I just want to see more armors that are on par with the “skimpy” armors we already have in the game. I don’t want skimpier armors, I just want to see more of the “skimpy” armors we already have… ugh… I hate that word… “skimpy” it really doesn’t reflect what I and most of the others in this thread are asking for accurately…

(edited by Panda.1967)

in Suggestions

Posted by: nenosronhir.3658

nenosronhir.3658

You know, I was going to try and think of a way to respond to this with some semblance of civility, but seeing as a few people already have and the kind of response they’ve gotten, I’m not even going to bother. In summary:

qq cry more and go play one of the dozens of other games/mmos that have skimpy armour and GTFO GW2. More variety? Sure. More absurd, skimpy armour designs? No, thanks.

This game already has enough cheerleader skirts to go around; IMO the design team has done a fair job of toeing that line, and I want to see them dial it back and give the ladies some kitten armour that looks brilliant and isn’t sexualized like the rest of the women in gaming.

Speaking of, to the women wanting skimpier armour; that’s cool, that’s fine, but please stop using the “I’m a woman and I think this is a great idea and therefore all women probably think this is a great idea” argument because you are MARGINALIZING LEGITIMATE CONCERNS OF OTHER WOMEN WHO DO NOT FEEL THE SAME WAY.

Let me reiterate: you, as women, are allowed to like the idea of your characters in skimpy armour. You are not allowed to assume that, being a woman, this allows you to speak for other women on this board who do not.

To everyone claiming that this is a fantasy game and therefore real life does not apply: while yes, this setting and the characters, fashions etc therein may be fantastical and do not operate by a standard we can judge, THIS GAME AND THE DESIGN CHOICES IN IT ARE NOT MADE INSIDE A VACUUM.

Our society, and gamer culture in particular, is inherently misogynistic and so help me if someone tries to dispute that (no doubt someone will, but it is not my responsibility to educate you; go do your own research on the treatment of women in gamer culture).

So coming here and saying “needs moar skin” as though real world consequences to that request do not apply is bullroar. So express your opinion all you want, but don’t be surprised when someone is outraged at the idea of oversexualization being demanded in yet another corner of the Internet where it’s already prevalent but apparently not enough for dipkittens like you.

Suinidios ~ Sylvari Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: ColdSlot.6928

ColdSlot.6928

Isn’t it possible to have armor that actually looks protective but still shows a BIT of skin, WITHOUT being skimpy?

Like a compromise?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

You know, I was going to try and think of a way to respond to this with some semblance of civility, but seeing as a few people already have and the kind of response they’ve gotten, I’m not even going to bother. In summary:

qq cry more and go play one of the dozens of other games/mmos that have skimpy armour and GTFO GW2. More variety? Sure. More absurd, skimpy armour designs? No, thanks.

This game already has enough cheerleader skirts to go around; IMO the design team has done a fair job of toeing that line, and I want to see them dial it back and give the ladies some kitten armour that looks brilliant and isn’t sexualized like the rest of the women in gaming.

Speaking of, to the women wanting skimpier armour; that’s cool, that’s fine, but please stop using the “I’m a woman and I think this is a great idea and therefore all women probably think this is a great idea” argument because you are MARGINALIZING LEGITIMATE CONCERNS OF OTHER WOMEN WHO DO NOT FEEL THE SAME WAY.

Let me reiterate: you, as women, are allowed to like the idea of your characters in skimpy armour. You are not allowed to assume that, being a woman, this allows you to speak for other women on this board who do not.

To everyone claiming that this is a fantasy game and therefore real life does not apply: while yes, this setting and the characters, fashions etc therein may be fantastical and do not operate by a standard we can judge, THIS GAME AND THE DESIGN CHOICES IN IT ARE NOT MADE INSIDE A VACUUM.

Our society, and gamer culture in particular, is inherently misogynistic and so help me if someone tries to dispute that (no doubt someone will, but it is not my responsibility to educate you; go do your own research on the treatment of women in gamer culture).

So coming here and saying “needs moar skin” as though real world consequences to that request do not apply is bullroar. So express your opinion all you want, but don’t be surprised when someone is outraged at the idea of oversexualization being demanded in yet another corner of the Internet where it’s already prevalent but apparently not enough for dipkittens like you.

This game has 1 cheerleader skirt. Believe me, I have been looking. I am not a huge fan of it either (light armor beginner skirt). There are 0 skirts on Medium armor, several long (ugly imo) skirts on Light armor (I want above the knee) and 1 short-ish skirt on Heavy armor that has weird fish-net.

To all the women saying they are women and they approve of the addition are entitled to their opinion and are saying they are a woman for context. Given that the nature of the argument against this is sexism, it’s quite valid.

On that note, people who say it is sexist, I just don’t even.. Why is it sexist to give people a choice in what they wear? It is only sexist if what they wear is forced on them. That is to say there is 1 set and that 1 set is skimpy, then yes, it’s sexist. Likewise, if there was 1 set and that 1 set was pants and a sweater, that is still sexist. This, naturally, assumes that men characters have more choice. If both are given equal amount of choice (not necessarily the same choices, but the same amount of choices), then that is not sexist. The reason why they do not have to be the same choices is because men and women are actually different. What looks good on one does not look good on the other. What men find attractive are generally not what women find attractive. Men’s body shape is different than women’s body shape.

Taking into account real world? Girls, especially in the summer, show a lot more skin than most characters in this game. I show a lot of skin on my character, and it is definitely similar to what I see girls wearing during the summer months. They wear that by choice. No one forced them to wear it. I would even bet that their fathers are against them wearing it, but the girls want to wear it anyway.

Your last paragraph is extremely hypocritical. You seem to think that everyone can have an opinion, but to everyone who has a different opinion than you, you look down on them and seem angry at them. You should not be surprised that me (and others) may be outraged by your thoughtless post.

+1 for more skimpy armor and +1 for less skimpy armor. Pro choice.

in Suggestions

nenosronhir.3658

This game has 1 cheerleader skirt. Believe me, I have been looking. I am not a huge fan of it either (light armor beginner skirt). There are 0 skirts on Medium armor, several long (ugly imo) skirts on Light armor (I want above the knee) and 1 short-ish skirt on Heavy armor that has weird fish-net.

my bad, I guess the fact that every light-armoured woman being forced to start off with that skirt and is stuck with it for a while means there aren’t enough to go around

To all the women saying they are women and they approve of the addition are entitled to their opinion and are saying they are a woman for context. Given that the nature of the argument against this is sexism, it’s quite valid.

newsflash you can be a woman and still be sexist wow what a concept, hence why utilizing being a woman in this argument is damaging to the opinion of other women in this thread. the fact that you’re admitting they’re using their gender to legitimize their defense because being a man in this argument automatically makes it sexist is why it’s sexist.

On that note, people who say it is sexist, I just don’t even.. Why is it sexist to give people a choice in what they wear? It is only sexist if what they wear is forced on them. That is to say there is 1 set and that 1 set is skimpy, then yes, it’s sexist. Likewise, if there was 1 set and that 1 set was pants and a sweater, that is still sexist. This, naturally, assumes that men characters have more choice. If both are given equal amount of choice (not necessarily the same choices, but the same amount of choices), then that is not sexist. The reason why they do not have to be the same choices is because men and women are actually different. What looks good on one does not look good on the other. What men find attractive are generally not what women find attractive. Men’s body shape is different than women’s body shape.

any -ism is the systematic oppression of the given party. you’re assuming men and women are starting on equal ground here, that’s cute.

and by cute i mean wrong.

(not necessarily the same choices, but the same amount of choices)

no, if men were given three choices between pants, different pants and briefs, and women were given choices between skirt, short skirt, and shorter skirt, it is most definitely sexist.

your whole argument here is gross. if you’re arguing for equality then logically speaking there should either be no difference between what men and women can wear in this game (boring), or men should be able to wear what the women do and vice versa (which would be kittening awesome imo because kitten gender barriers honestly i’m so sorry this whole thing is very erasing of non-binary gender which is a whole other kettle of fish).

Taking into account real world? Girls, especially in the summer, show a lot more skin than most characters in this game. I show a lot of skin on my character, and it is definitely similar to what I see girls wearing during the summer months. They wear that by choice. No one forced them to wear it. I would even bet that their fathers are against them wearing it, but the girls want to wear it anyway.

neglecting the fact that real life women are held to absolutely ridiculous standards by mainstream media, yes, women are allowed and should be encouraged to wear what they feel comfortable wearing and it doesn’t hurt anyone else. (and i don’t give a kitten about their “father’s” opinions because their father’s opinions shouldn’t dictate what they can and cannot wear, why would you even bring this up, it’s skeezy and implies kittenshaming).

Your last paragraph is extremely hypocritical. You seem to think that everyone can have an opinion, but to everyone who has a different opinion than you, you look down on them and seem angry at them. You should not be surprised that me (and others) may be outraged by your thoughtless post.

+1 for more skimpy armor and +1 for less skimpy armor. Pro choice.

i don’t even know if i should validate this with a response that is exactly what I said?? i didn’t expect everyone to leap up and screech in righteous melodic approval of my every word and indicated that no one else should expect that from me.

(insert attempt at witty tally here)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Do any girls in the real world dress this skimpy?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Masquerade_Armor_Female_Human_Coloring_Front.jpg

Or walk around in something like this?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Winged_Armor_Female_Human.png

Sexism is not a matter of being forced to wear something. Its the persistent idea that women are sexy barbie dolls, and men are not. Its the different treatment of both genders that makes it sexism. And its hard to deny that there is a double standard.

In almost every MMO, when ever a male character wears armor, he wears something practical. Something that could function as armor.

But whenever a female character wears armor, it is usually something centered around showing their cleavage or underwear. How is that not sexist?

For example:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Arah_armor_light_human_female_front.jpg

Boob-armor!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

in Suggestions

nenosronhir.3658

Isn’t it possible to have armor that actually looks protective but still shows a BIT of skin, WITHOUT being skimpy?

Like a compromise?

oops i missed this, i’m sorry; yes, absolutely. like i mentioned (very briefly), i think the designs currently in GW2 toe the line pretty well, but honestly i’d prefer more androgynous stuff (which doesn’t necessarily mean less skin, but less emphasis on boobs and butt).

I think someone mentioned being unable to find any open-back stuff for the sylvari and yesss yes yes yes that would be really cool (i am one of those people who think the flowers covering the sylvari genitals is really dumb because sylvari don’t reproduce like that but that there design is case in point example of the game not being created in a vacuum because it wouldn’t be acceptable for them to have visual genders and not be covered in some way, or to have an ambiguous gender and identify as either a man or a woman or both or neither because that would make other people uncomfortable oops sylvari rant sorry).

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

Do any girls in the real world dress this skimpy?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Masquerade_Armor_Female_Human_Coloring_Front.jpg

Or walk around in something like this?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Winged_Armor_Female_Human.png

Sexism is not a matter of being forced to wear something. Its the persistent idea that women are sexy barbie dolls, and men are not. Its the different treatment of both genders that makes it sexism. And its hard to deny that there is a double standard.

In almost every MMO, when ever a male character wears armor, he wears something practical. Something that could function as armor.

But whenever a female character wears armor, it is usually something centered around showing their cleavage or underwear. How is that not sexist?

For example:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Arah_armor_light_human_female_front.jpg

Boob-armor!

No said men can’t be sexy barbie dolls.

Also this isn’t real life.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Why do people keep saying this isn’t based on real life? Everything you see in game is based on usual images you see in media and all over the place so it’s a bit weird to say that just cuz it ain’t real, we can do whatever we want in our game and nobody should find it offensive because of that. It’s the feeling I get whenever I see a post like that

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

Why do people keep saying this isn’t based on real life? Everything you see in game is based on usual images you see in media and all over the place so it’s a bit weird to say that just cuz it ain’t real, we can do whatever we want in our game and nobody should find it offensive because of that. It’s the feeling I get whenever I see a post like that

It’s fantasy and not based in this world. We are trying to create a world that’s different with our suggestions.

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

I’m surprised by how many people still don’t seem to understand and what is being asked for here.

No one is asking for chainmail bikinis or the like. The current level of “skimpy” armor is the type of armor being asked for here. We don’t want skimpier armor we just want more armor that shows off to the level of existing armor already in the game.

Additionally we are not in any way opposed to adding more armor sets that cover more as well.

We understand that most of the full coverage light armor sets are undesirable and that nearly every medium armor set is a trench coat. We want to see that changed too. The word “skimpy” is used in this thread for lack I a better word. We aren’t asking for the ability to run around in armor that barely covers anything more than our private regions. Several examples of just what we are asking for have been given throughout this entire thread. At this point anyone who still believes this thread to be asking for inappropriate gear or otherwise objectified armor hasn’t actually read the thread any further than the title.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

DEAR LORD NO!

I am so SICK and TIRED of seeing women with virtually no clothing, and huge breasts, in video games. As a female, it makes me feel like a piece of trash… or a piece of meat. There are already skimpy options in this game for those who want it—it needs to stop where it’s at. Guild Wars 2 has actually shown some class, and some concern for women’s issues, by providing lots of creative modest options, giving us strong female characters, and defying gender roles with the female charr. What they have going is a good thing, and I would be deeply disappointed if they ruined it by coming out with more skimpy armor.
The objectification of, and disrespect towards, female characters, has been battled against for years. If you think having your chainmail bikini isn’t an issue, you’re mistaken. Images like that are so prevalent in society, they damage young girls and women every day. They encourage men to objectify women, and women to objectify themselves, in real life.
So no, please no more skimpy armor.

in Suggestions

Posted by: shenhua.2186

shenhua.2186

I love how you managed to pick an an armor that shows no skin, unless of course the armor changes the color of your skin. Perhaps it’s like one of those tattooed sleeves or whatever I’ve heard about.

Let’s say that hypothetically people are offended by people showing some semblance of skin in a video game due to whatever reasons. Can’t I just say that I’m offended that someone covers up their character so much that it makes it seem like they’re trying to protect the world from the greatest evil mankind has ever seen?

I’ve hardly ever seen the pro-skimpy crowd go for the removal of all garments that cover any skin whereas the other side seems to want the game to feature mummified corpses with atleast 4 layers of bandages underneath everything.

One side tries to add variety for all, the other wants to belittle and insult anyone even remotely interested in something other than 150% coverage.

Has it not occured to people that the reason why “LA” looks like a stripjoint is because there is a serious lack of variety in armors. If there were more DIFFERENT looking armors of both kinds maybe(but I doubt it since some people want to be offended) LA wouldn’t be the stripjoint people are referring to.

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

DEAR LORD NO!

I am so SICK and TIRED of seeing women with virtually no clothing, and huge breasts, in video games. As a female, it makes me feel like a piece of trash… or a piece of meat. There are already skimpy options in this game for those who want it—it needs to stop where it’s at. Guild Wars 2 has actually shown some class, and some concern for women’s issues, by providing lots of creative modest options, giving us strong female characters, and defying gender roles with the female charr. What they have going is a good thing, and I would be deeply disappointed if they ruined it by coming out with more skimpy armor.
The objectification of, and disrespect towards, female characters, has been battled against for years. If you think having your chainmail bikini isn’t an issue, you’re mistaken. Images like that are so prevalent in society, they damage young girls and women every day. They encourage men to objectify women, and women to objectify themselves, in real life.
So no, please no more skimpy armor.

As I JUST got finished saying… this topic is NOT about adding skimpier armor than is already in the game. It is about adding more options for armors that are no skimpier than what we have right now. The level of “skimpiness” to the existing armors is perfect and we don’t want to change that we simply want more armors like them.

And for the umpteenth time WE DO NOT WANT CHAINMAIL BIKINIS!

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

This post is being trolled by people with Very extremist points of view. I suspect some of them are from countries where their governments suppress their individual rights.

in Suggestions

nenosronhir.3658

I love how you managed to pick an an armor that shows no skin, unless of course the armor changes the color of your skin. Perhaps it’s like one of those tattooed sleeves or whatever I’ve heard about.

Let’s say that hypothetically people are offended by people showing some semblance of skin in a video game due to whatever reasons. Can’t I just say that I’m offended that someone covers up their character so much that it makes it seem like they’re trying to protect the world from the greatest evil mankind has ever seen?

I’ve hardly ever seen the pro-skimpy crowd go for the removal of all garments that cover any skin whereas the other side seems to want the game to feature mummified corpses with atleast 4 layers of bandages underneath everything.

One side tries to add variety for all, the other wants to belittle and insult anyone even remotely interested in something other than 150% coverage.

Has it not occured to people that the reason why “LA” looks like a stripjoint is because there is a serious lack of variety in armors. If there were more DIFFERENT looking armors of both kinds maybe(but I doubt it since some people want to be offended) LA wouldn’t be the stripjoint people are referring to.

let’s be honest i’m belittling the reasons less than 150% coverage is wanted, not the desire of less than 150% coverage. honestly i’d be alright with less coverage if everything that entailed wasn’t hypersexualized or impractical (or more often than not, both).

also not intending to speak for Malafide here but they’ve continuously been arguing points about armour practicality, not only criticizing the armour-to-skin ratio, so your point there is moot.

http://l-clausewitz.livejournal.com/384382.html
http://madartlab.com/2011/12/14/fantasy-armor-and-lady-bits/

both relatively on topic and informative links about breastplates and women-in-armour in general, not sure if this was linked previously, but hey, relevant.

This post is being trolled by people with Very extremist points of view. I suspect some of them are from countries where their governments suppress their individual rights.

what is wrong with you do not even attempt to undermine the arguments going on here by implying non-white non-american voices don’t carry the same weight seriously go kitten yourself and don’t let the door hit you on the way out

in Suggestions

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Like these examples.

Why do people keep posting armor from Aion……..

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

in Suggestions

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

If the armor gets any more skimpy they will be naked… The title of this thread just makes it sound straight sexist and teen-boy ish…

Why not just start a “serious” thread about how we would like new armor styles on characters outside of gem shop. Then an actual discussion could have been had.

PS to the person who keeps posting the Aion pics.. I’m just gonna give people the actual link, cause basically thats what your asking for is armor from Aion.

http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Crucible+Gear

Attachments:

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

More armour looks in general would be nice, both skimpy and ‘classy’.

Basically my own stance on the issue. I just want there to be lots of options for players, and then everybody picks what they want to wear. We do not have any right to demand what another player does or does not choose to wear on their character, whether it be a gigantic male Norn wearing nothing but a sequined Speedo and nipple tassels, or a female Sylvari wearing a burqa.