Open world Duels [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

Let me help explain it to some people here, the people opposed to dueling don’t want to look bad or like a coward when someone asks them to duel and they decline. That’s it, there’s no other real reason, simply put, they don’t want the feature implemented because it makes them uncomfortable.

+1 for dueling. It’s fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

to open world pve?
Never
You have custom arenas those were put in specifically as a result of dueling requests.
if you want open world ganking it is never going to happen

Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I was suspecting that, but I’d rather have the opposers speak for themselves. Because that’s a pretty selfish reason to deny others their fun.

Oh and I do have duels in SPvP, but sometimes you just want to test gear or try out how my PvE builds fares in duels. Or heck, play in a different area, such as a JP.

@ Morrigan : custom arenas were never put there to substitute duels, but to allow teams and guilds to organize matches, scrims and tournaments with different rules than the standard ones. Also duels =/= ganks.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Suggestions

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I sure hope so. The last thing I want is to see Queensdale become the new Goldshire.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

@Morrigan, no ganking or open world pvp. They’re saying duels. So, I send you a request to duel, you accept or decline. That’s it.

@wolfheart, they won’t say it out loud because that would mean admitting it, which also makes them uncomfortable.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

@Araris.7839 exactly what u said.

“don’t want to look bad or like a coward when someone asks them to duel and they decline”

Is the only reason they dont want this system.

Or is there another reason? please let us know, because is unfair that we dont have the oportunity to fight with our friends with our pve gear just to have fun because of you.

I dont see how this will affect any person, a easy to add a option to decline automatically any duel.

in Suggestions

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

@Araris.7839 exactly what u said.

“don’t want to look bad or like a coward when someone asks them to duel and they decline”

Is the only reason they dont want this system.

Or is there another reason? please let us know, because is unfair that we dont have the oportunity to fight with our friends with our pve gear just to have fun because of you.

I sure hope so. The last thing I want is to see Queensdale become the new Goldshire.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

I really don’t care if others want to duel. Each person finds their own enjoyment in games like these. But, if it was ever implemented, the only thing I would demand is that there be an option to “Ignore Duel Requests” so that people like me don’t have to be bothered by it.

But, seriously, if a couple of people want to kill each other for kicks, go for it.

More people should be like you!

I would probably rarely use the feature, but as long as you have a ignore option, why not? It doesn’t prevent you from doing what you like, and might bring in some new people and give existing players one more thing to do to avoid burnout.

The only bad thing I can possibly imagine is QQ from sore losers, and as long as Anet is not stupid and balances the game for people 1v1ing, I can just ignore that problem literally.

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

“I sure hope so. The last thing I want is to see Queensdale become the new Goldshire.”

How? you will be abble to decline any pvp duel.

Right now almost every single PVE map is empty, how this will affect you?

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

Banono.4597 exactly . . . is not like Lineage 2 that every person will be abble to kill you while you are lvling.

It is a duel with mutual agreement, how this will affect any of your game playing?

in Suggestions

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Let me help explain it to some people here, the people opposed to dueling don’t want to look bad or like a coward when someone asks them to duel and they decline. That’s it, there’s no other real reason, simply put, they don’t want the feature implemented because it makes them uncomfortable.

+1 for dueling. It’s fun.

Or, maybe they’re people like me, who have played in other games that allowed dueling and got annoyed by it.

There’s nothing more annoying than this: Someone asks you to duel, you politely decline. They request a duel from you again. You politely decline again. They do it again and again and again. Then, they start sending you tells: “Duel me! What are you? Afraid?” You say: “No, I’m just busy and don’t want to duel.” So, they do it again and again and again and again.

I know I’m not the only one this has happened to. Any game that has dueling but doesn’t have the option to block duel requests doesn’t last long on my hard drive.

I have dueled. I have both won and lost. It can be fun. But 99.5% of the time, I have better things to do.

in Suggestions

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

There’s no dueling in the open world because it would be horribly imbalanced.
There are the food buffs, nourishments, and BLC boosters that are some of the issues with dueling in the open (pve) world.
Are all of you prepared to face the horrible pve/class nerfs due to people complaining about “op classes” from imbalanced dueling?
I’m not and I’m sure as hell MANY people don’t want to face that either, ESPECIALLY “pet” classes.

Devona’s Rest

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

Trash talking will always be there in any situation.

If you have a duel system with autodecline option, how will this be anoying for anyone?

If a person see that u r in a non duel mode they will just go ahead.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

At this rate I’m almost hoping that dueling will never be implemented. We’re already seeing enough attempted balancing around dueling rather than actually relevant gameplay.

in Suggestions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The answer, like in all other threads about this subject, is no and will always be no. And a lot of people will also answer no.

in Suggestions

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

/waves hand

I forgot about dueling.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

@blakdoxa.7520 is a duel, if you agree to have it it is because you want it.

Is not like WvW where you can get pwnd just because the other wants.

For real, sometimes it feels playing PVE is the same as playing The Sims.

It is all about skins and archivement that gives you more skins.

I dont see how this improvement will serious affect any your current gaming.

in Suggestions

Wolfheart.1938

@ ProphetSword: autodecline option, already mentioned multiple times. Thanks for your feedback though.

@ Darkace: I’m no alliance scum so I don’t know what happens in Goldshire when I’m not raiding it on the way to Stormwind, and that was… 7 years ago? I suppose people met there to duel each other just like it happened outside Orgrimmar? I don’t see any problem with that, I only see people having fun. If the “clutter” bothered you, we could fix it with specific, istanced areas like an Arena in LA or whatever.

@ blakdoxa: Arenanet developers aren’t kittenes, I’m sure they wouldn’t balance around duels just because duels exist And I’m totally fine with imbalances, I want PvE dueling just for testing and fun purposes.

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Yea I forgot all about it.. I want dueling implemented too. Or maybe just a free-for-all arena in the cities or something.

It’s very easy to block people who annoy you should you decline a duel, this is just a very selfish reason.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Suggestions

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

@blakdoxa.7520 is a duel, if you agree to have it it is because you want it.

Is not like WvW where you can get pwnd just because the other wants.

For real, sometimes it feels playing PVE is the same as playing The Sims.

It is all about skins and archivement that gives you more skins.

I dont see how this improvement will serious affect any your current gaming.

I won’t duel, unless I go to the pvp lobby.
The main issue is when people start complaining about balance because they are getting melted going 1v1 in the open world.
Those people complaining will take to the forums, tickets, reports, etc. and the first wave of “dueling” nerfs happens.
This will be a wholly different game then.
You don’t want the game to be rebalanced because of pve dueling. I’m telling you for real. The ability to pve will disappear from some classes. This will affect pvp too since Anet seems to not like splitting pvp/pve. Between pvp and pve there are different stats and different builds solely built for a singular purpose. (point defense, roaming, conditionmancers, zerk/dungeon crushers, etc)
PvE dueling will likely displace many builds in the short run that were essentially long term, reliable builds for whatever purpose.
It’s already enough to deal with the class balancing around pvp now and really pve dueling doesn’t need to be involved.

Devona’s Rest

in Suggestions

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Open world dueling please, i want to have goofy fights in strange places throughout the world. Yes we have custom arenas, but they are not convenient or fun. Yes the dueling culture is annoying to some (myself often included) but you should be able to disable dueling in your options. Like it or not, dueling is a standard in mmorpgs and it creates a certain community/gives people something to talk about.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

in Suggestions

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have nothing against dueling, I simply prefer pvp to stay in the mists as it always has been.

While there is nothing wrong with open world dueling in and of itself, it is neither negative nor positive it simply ‘is’. It the attitudes and actions of many of its participants that I do not want to have to deal with. Many of them are kittenholes and greifers. However, all of this is thoroughly discussed and debated already in the suggestions dueling thread.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

On the subject of open world dueling. Yes I did forget all about it, because I said my peace on it and why it won’t work here.
In the PvE environment there is no reason for dueling. You have places to fight other players. Those are called the sPvP areas and WvWvW, plus there is always the custom arena.

PvP is separated from PvE, that’s how it was in GW1 and it worked out well. There’s no sense in combining them now. This isn’t about ‘being a coward’ or ‘refusing and looking bad’, it is about game structure and flow.

If they ever do adjust skills for PvP different than PvE then how in the Six Gods/Pale Tree/Eternal Alchemy would they balance it if the blasted modes were mixed in the PvE world? One could say they have a mode switch that allows you to be purely PvP in the PvE like some other online games.

If that’s the case why bother adding such a ridiculous notion in this game when there are perfectly good spots to kill another player?

To those who want such an event I ask how well received would it be if PvE folks started demanding PvE dynamic events in PvP territory? Now your game mode isn’t about skill against another player, its about half baked game modes clashing together.

We already have such a abomination now, it is called WvWvW.

So in short: If dueling is instanced, pushed away in its own sPvP corner, I have no problems with it. Adding it to PvE is ridiculous and not worth the time when you factor in that your duel will be interrupted by PvE griefers pulling a mob train to mess up your game.

Addendum: I do fully agree with the idea of letting your PvE gear be used in a custom arena. In fact that should be a checkbox selectable for your custom arena ‘Allow PvE gear’ or something. if that is a decent compromise.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

(edited by Atlas.9704)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I really dont know why anet put many resources on this temporal content and dont focus on permament greate functions like this duel system.

It will be greate if a dev can tell us something about this.

Sorry for my bad english i try my best.

Because it’s THEIR game and they design it how they want to, not how people tell them is should be. Direct 1vs1 dueling in PvE doesn’t fit into the game at all. The types of dueling that they have added -Costume Brawling & Belcher’s Bluff- do fit into the game and are permanent additions to it. These kinds are also balanced with players having an even chance of winning and it’s about skill rather than gear.

9/10 times the players that want to have dueling in PvE areas with PvE gear, are those wanting to do so for the sake of gear measurement and (forget the barbaric term) kitten measurement. Because 1vs1 is currently possible in sPvP via custom arenas that are set that way (and can have spectators watching, cheering from the /map chat sidelines).

Also, there is a very logical reason for not wanting 1vs1 duels set up in this game: balance. First to note (as already done above) that this game is not set up or balanced around 1vs1. But there are many that lack the comprehension to that fact. Those people will take to the forums, social media, map chat, and whatever means they can to vociferously complain about how one class or another is “OP”. This will plague the PvP forums, plague the normal general forums, and worse yet is plague the ears of the developers that would otherwise be listening to legitimate issues with the game. Don’t tell me it won’t happen, because it’s happened in every other situation like this, and it will happen in this one. To that, I say “NO!”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

it creates a certain community

Yes, it does. That’s part of what I’m afraid of.

Just let there be an option to be turn off dueling requests and not see duels happening. I don’t care otherwise.

in Suggestions

Wolfheart.1938

Really, it is positive for people who like it, whether or not some people use it to annoy others. And as many said already, a simple "ignore duels "option would go a long way to fix one of the most common complaints : I’m bothered by the fact that some kid somewhere may think that I’m a coward.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

Really, it is positive for people who like it, whether or not some people use it to annoy others. And as many said already, a simple "ignore duels "option would go a long way to fix one of the most common complaints : I’m bothered by the fact that some kid somewhere may think that I’m a coward.

Ah yes, because if I don’t want to fight you I must be a coward.
See? It’s started already.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Just let there be an option to be turn off dueling requests and not see duels happening. I don’t care otherwise.

Definitely this. I don’t want to go to a beautiful area of the game and see two random guys there fighting each other for kitten. I would rather not have dueling in the game at all, but if it is introduced, keep it deep down all the way in the Mists, very far from the open world.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

For me it’s about game culture really. If you PvP, dueling is the best way to sharpen your skills. I practiced several forms of martial arts and in each sparring was an essential part of the practice. And, in each, I went to a studio to duel. I really don’t want an offer to duel made on the street on my way to the studio and that describes the cultural dimension to which I refer. I’ve experienced that culture in another game and don’t want to repeat it here. We have the “studio” in-game right now. If you want to sharpen your PvP skills use it.

in Suggestions

Wolfheart.1938

Hyperdefensive much? I’m not suggesting it, but this line of thinking (unfortunately) exists and has to be taken into account, because it’s what annoys a lot of people.
Well, a simple autodecline option and, if necessary, /block, puts a stop to being you annoyed…forever!

in Suggestions

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Hyperdefensive much? I’m not suggesting it, but this line of thinking (unfortunately) exists and has to be taken into account, because it’s what annoys a lot of people.
Well, a simple autodecline option and, if necessary, /block, puts a stop to being you annoyed…forever!

An auto decline feature would be all well and good (and well used I’m sure); however there are many people that would openly give the decliner kitten for doing so. Open world dueling, in my experience, is full of trash talking arrogant fools and the ignore list has a max limit, which is a heck of a lot lower than the population it would most likely be required to ignore….

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

God, the things i read.

WvW is not the same as an open duel system.

in WvW you:

- Can not chat with the people you fight, is very hard to make duels or pvp without a clan link communication.
-Can not just look people that wants a 1v1, because in 1 second a zerg comes and kills you.
- Can not duel with a friend to try new build with your pve gear. WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? Because is the gear you will use agaisnt your enemies to take castles or towers when your are in a real WvW fight.

Again, if you have an option just to decline any duel request automatically, how can this be bad for you?

I dont want to see people fighthing in my pretty map argumetn is to selfish and embarrasing.

Balance!!! LOL

The Balance argument is already in the forums with WvW.

Come on guys be real your only concernis that you will look coward if you decline a duel, is all about ego and selfish no sense points of view.

in Suggestions

Erasculio.2914

is all about ego and selfish no sense points of view

Indeed, that’s what dueling is all about.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

I never saw Anet say that dueling would come out sometimes after launch. And every thread about it is filled with opposition to it.

With good reason, the PVE environment has to kept about PVE only, dueling is a PVP activity !!!

you wanna duel ? go to the mists and duel all you want till your fingers bleed !
leave PVE alone with this crap already

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

Erasculio.2914 hell no!!

i Want to test my builds with my friedns, so when i go to take a castle in WvW i already know how my build will behave.

And there are a lot more reasons not only one.

Be real, there is not another real reason than looking coward that you dont want a duel system.

The balance argument is no valid, since you choose to have a duel and we already have this issue with WvW.

in Suggestions

Atlas.9704

Come on guys be real your only concernis that you will look coward if you decline a duel, is all about ego and selfish no sense points of view.

Says a number of folks who want open PvP “Because I want it”. So apparently both sides have selfish folks.

If dueling was put away in some form of sPvP where you can communicate with others I have no problems with it. This way you won’t have PvE folks running around and triggering Dynamic Events or mobs just to kill you and ruin your experience.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

Well maybe if we have this duel system in WvW only?

Or maybe exclusive zones that allows this?

People that loves PVE killing computer mobs will not be afected, and we PVP people will have a tool to fight and improve our gaming at same time.

Duel system in WvW then, Many will be happy with that.

in Suggestions

Atlas.9704

Or maybe exclusive zones that allows this?

People that loves PVE killing computer mobs will not be afected, and we PVP people will have a tool to fight and improve our gaming at same time.

Duel system in WvW then, Many will be happy with that.

Holy Six, a pro-dueling post that doesn’t enrage me. I guess the Alchemy does work in mysterious ways.

I’ve always wondered why WvW doesn’t have some form of instanced PvP where small groups of players fight against each other for points. It would give those that don’t like zerging a chance to still contribute to the server.

We could apply something like that to ‘honor duels’ where you could duel in WvW instanced just for fun or your victory adds some amount of points to the bigger total.

Applause nice compromise and ideas.

in Suggestions

Erasculio.2914

i Want to test my builds with my friedns, so when i go to take a castle in WvW i already know how my build will behave.

So in order to take a castle in WvW, you are sure you are going to fight players 1 by 1 like in a duel?

in Suggestions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

That’s it… I wasn’t following the other Duel threads at all, so I don’t know if this has been suggested before, but they could add something similar to Obsidian Sanctum (a new instanced-like area) but instead of jumping around you get to duel people. Obviously duel without being able to see the other person’s name and/or chat with them is just silly, so allowing this in an area of WvW could work. You could of course duel people from your own server too (and friends) something I don’t see doable in general WvW. Also, the problem with having duels out in the open is how they could prevent the zerg from messing the duel.

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

maddoctor.2738 yeah it will be a greate solution for this duel thing.

Adding a big area on near TP on WvW will be greate, we could test our builds or train with friends to counter other professions.

I hope Anet reads all this disscusion and take some notes, i will play a lot more having this new feature.

in Suggestions

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Since so many want to ‘duel in pve gear’ they should just add that as an additional option on custom arenas. ‘Pve Gear allowed – yes/no’

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

The reason they don’t have dueling is because the game is balanced around team fights. Yes people state dueling is just for fun but we all know as soon as dueling is implemented everyone will come to the forums screaming “x” class is op, nerf, etc

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

The reason they don’t have dueling is because the game is balanced around team fights. Yes people state dueling is just for fun but we all know as soon as dueling is implemented everyone will come to the forums screaming “x” class is op, nerf, etc

This is already happening. See all the crying about necromancers.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Yes, we all forgot about dueling because almost no one cares about it. I’m not being sarcastic. Really, who cares?

in Suggestions

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

I wouldn’t be interested in dueling myself, unless it was a contest of witty comebacks and rebuttals, but by the same token, i don’t see an enable/disable box in the options being a problem either. While there are those who would certainly look at that as a possible sign of weakness or whatever, and then proceed to harass me with snide comments, i think i’d get more of a laugh out of that than anything else.

DUELER: Dude, you’ve got your duel option on disable. You a kitten? Ain’t got the kitten to kittening battle it out, one on one, right here on this mountaintop?
ME: Not particularly. I was just enjoying this bottle of rice wine and watching the way the sunlight plays through the trees.
DUELER: HA! I kittening knew it. You are a kitten and have no skills.
ME: HA indeed! I’ve got a full time job, a house with a mortgage, two boys, and the moment I feel the need to “prove” myself to be a “man” by utilizing my “mad skillz” in a video game is the moment I will check myself into the nearest psychiatric ward for rehabilitation. Care for some wine?
DUELER: Kitten you.

But, by all means — if that’s something that people would find enjoyable, have at it! Just provide me with the option to disable that content.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

Well if they add this they should have the ignore duel requests option and not make it a temporary event and I would also enjoy dueling people from time to time .

in Suggestions

Wolfheart.1938

@ ShufflePants: I don’t know, do you?

As for WvW, I’m not really convinced about a system for duels there. I’m more for an istanced dueling arena or whatever, if folks don’t want their PvE experience ruined. Implementation would be the difficult part though.

/off topic
Atlas, you can’t believe in the Alchemy and the Holy Five ( no Kormir plz ) at the same time :P They are mutually exclusive, as far as I know.
/on topic

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

in Suggestions

Atlas.9704

@ ShufflePants: I don’t know, do you?

/off topic
Atlas, you can’t believe in the Alchemy and the Holy Five ( no Kormir plz ) at the same time :P They are mutually exclusive, as far as I know.
/on topic

Not true, the Alchemy does factor in the Gods.

They are merely cogs in the machine, Kormir is that one piece you never really wanted but somehow the manufacturing company still crammed it in there.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I’m pretty sure most of the players who were really interested in dueling have gone back to WoW or some other mmo.

According to the latest numbers, its not WoW…