Open world Duels [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

I would love to see the post where they said they would never balance Tpvp.

For.

You forgot the key word.

There’s a world of difference between balancing tPvP and balancing FOR tPvP. One implies that the game mode is balanced, the other implies the other game modes take a backseat to the one being balanced for. Understand?

PS:

JonathanSharp.7094:

As Allie said, we want to be careful to balance their (classes) WvW/PvE potential against their PvP potential, and then inside of PvP, we have to be careful to watch how they perform at high ranks vs. low ranks.

So, you think if they add dueling people will QQ and that QQ will lead them to break their whole entire game to appease that group of people? Because not only will they balance dueling they will balance the game FOR dueling.

I am trying to understand your argument, but you are assuming alot of things from one thing being added.

Also what does that quote have to do with anything? To me it sounds like when they make balance changes they do it keeping in mind each game mode people play. Isn’t that what you want?

in Suggestions

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

For.

You forgot the key word.

There’s a world of difference between balancing tPvP and balancing FOR tPvP. One implies that the game mode is balanced, the other implies the other game modes take a backseat to the one being balanced for. Understand?

PS:

JonathanSharp.7094:

As Allie said, we want to be careful to balance their (classes) WvW/PvE potential against their PvP potential, and then inside of PvP, we have to be careful to watch how they perform at high ranks vs. low ranks.

So, you think if they add dueling people will QQ and that QQ will lead them to break their whole entire game to appease that group of people? Because not only will they balance dueling they will balance the game FOR dueling.

Yes, because they’ve already demonstrated they’re willing to balance one area of the game to detriment of others. If they’ve taken an action once (or multiple times, as is the case), what’s unreasonable about expecting them to do it again?

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

Yes, because they’ve already demonstrated they’re willing to balance one area of the game to detriment of others. If they’ve taken an action once (or multiple times, as is the case), what’s unreasonable about expecting them to do it again?

And that is your opinion. An opinion that I do not share and the Devs do not share as stated in your quote. They balance the game with the whole game in mind.

I actually have faith in the Devs to not make a bone headed move such as balancing the whole game for a subset of players.
So, to me duels can only add one more layer to an already good game and make the experience that much more rich for everyone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

So, you think if they add dueling people will QQ

We know for a fact dueling people will QQ – just look at this topic.

Between implementing a seriously flawed feature and not implementing it, the latter is better. Dueling would be something seriously flawed considering how the game has not been balanced around 1vs1. The game developers right now can’t even balance the current skills for the current game modes, they would never be able to balance more skills (which we have been told are incoming) for all the current game modes plus 1vs1.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

For.

You forgot the key word.

PS:

JonathanSharp.7094:

Lmao these anti-dueling arguements make me LOL

so you don’t want dueling because you’re worried the devs arnt smart enough to NOT ballence the whole game around it?

So you don’t want dueling because you’re worried anet is kittened,?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

Between implementing a seriously flawed feature and not implementing it, the latter is better. Dueling would be something seriously flawed considering how the game has not been balanced around 1vs1. The game developers right now can’t even balance the current skills for the current game modes, they would never be able to balance more skills (which we have been told are incoming) for all the current game modes plus 1vs1.

This game seams pretty ballenced to me, some classess may need a few tweaks, more so classes need MORE OPTIONS then anything, but right now i;d say the game is pretty ballenced in pvp / wvw / pve.

Plus i 1v1 really good players all the time on multiple maxed out characters and have yet to see anything game-breaking.

This game was never horrible unballenced, drama queens will be drama-queens yes theirs some ballencing to do, but nothing so bad as to with-hold features that every other game in its genre has had from launch.

in Suggestions

Erasculio.2914

This game seams pretty ballenced to me, some classess may need a few tweaks, more so classes need MORE OPTIONS then anything, but right now i;d say the game is pretty ballenced in pvp / wvw / pve.

We have entire subforums here filled with arguments saying you are wrong. Can you counter all of them?

but nothing so bad as to with-hold features that every other game in its genre has had from launch.

Every other MMO has also had quests, the Holy Trinity, etc, etc. MMORPGs tend to be mediocre games, so it’s a great thing that GW2 does not share everything in common with other games in its genre.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

I never denied that… Way to look at half a sentence!

People whine about everything on these forums and I am sure dueling will be no different and I have even stated that.

If they make this a game mode. I do not expect nor want it to be balanced.

It would just be there for kittens and giggles. Using the same builds and stats from PvE/WvW

in Suggestions

Erasculio.2914

If they make this a game mode. I do not expect nor want it to be balanced.

It would just be there for kittens and giggles.

It’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye and fills this entire forum whining about how his Thief always loses to a given profession using a given build. You can claim dueling would only be for feline objectification for you, but you don’t speak for all the dueling players. Considering how often dueling is a matter of ego, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a wave of sore losers claiming that the fact they keep losing is proof of flaws in the game, flaws that ArenaNet MUST fix (with a few 11!!!111!!!! here and there).

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

And that is your opinion. An opinion that I do not share and the Devs do not share as stated in your quote. They balance the game with the whole game in mind.

If you really think that the devs have not, in balancing one aspect of the game, severely hurt others then I think we’re done. You won’t face reality.

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

@Erasculio.2914
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/So-how-can-I-beat-CND-with-a-necro
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/How-can-you-beat-ilusionary-Mesmer

You mean like this?

@Craptrain – Ok, then goodbye. You think the Devs can’t balance their game. I think they do a good job. We agree to disagree.

(edited by Banono.4597)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

I never saw Anet say that dueling would come out sometimes after launch. And every thread about it is filled with opposition to it.

And very many people that want it too. I think it would be unfair to say the community as a whole is against it if that was what you were suggesting.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

in Suggestions

Erasculio.2914

Yes, imagine it one thousand times worse once dueling is officially in the game. Thanks, but no thanks (and ironic that both topics are in the Thief forum).

(Banono, does your main happen to be a Thief, too?)

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

Yes, imagine it one thousand times worse once dueling is officially in the game. Thanks, but no thanks (and ironic that both topics are in the Thief forum).

Yep.That is why In jumped on the thief forum and grabbed the first two threads I saw. Do we know each other?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

So don’t read them. I don’t see the big problem.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Suggestions

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

“I don’t want to check a box opting out and verbally tell people no, so other people can’t have nice things.”

is what I get out of opposition, unless there’s some other issue i’m overlooking.

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

@Craptrain – Ok, then goodbye. You think the Devs can’t balance their game.

Yeah, I think when they ask the sPvP forums to suggest balance changes, it’s pretty clear they don’t know what they’re doing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Personally, I think an open world dueling option is a good feature to have, it could generate more interest towards sPvP who knows. But I’d really rather have a free-for-all arena, like the one they have in Perfect World. Just pure unadulterated mayhem. 1vs1, 1vs2, 1vsParty, PartyvsGuild.. <3

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Suggestions

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

An arena needs to be implemented where you use your pve gear and the option to participate on 1v1, 2v2 and so on. As much as I would love sa imple open world dueling system, implementing it at this point will cause so many complains from the straight pve lovers.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Let me help explain it to some people here, the people opposed to dueling don’t want to look bad or like a coward when someone asks them to duel and they decline. That’s it, there’s no other real reason, simply put, they don’t want the feature implemented because it makes them uncomfortable.

+1 for dueling. It’s fun.

A mind reader you’re not.

I don’t want dueling because the type of player that is attracted to that stuff isn’t at all generally attacted to the type of game I want or play. In general I think the duelist community is incompatible with the community I’d rather see in the game. I feel the same about open world PvP of any kind.

Open world PvPers call those of us who don’t want that sort of that carebears. I also don’t want to see the flood of my profession isn’t balanced posts, because the game was never meant to be balanced for 1v1.

Thinking that I’d be embarrassed to refuse a duel request isn’t just wrong…it’s completely wrong. I’d be PROUD to refuse a duel request.

dueling isn’t open world pvp. dueling means two players have to accept.

So you dont want people who like to duel to have fun because they MIGHT not like the same stuff as you?
Everyone i know wants dueling, even the people who only do pve, and the people i know that do pvp and wvw also play pve so i dont understand..

Im big on pve and immersion and all that, but i find it fun to duel people while waiting for dungeons, lfg’ing for people for an activity, or while waiting to figure out somthing to do, or to settle a score, or just to have a bit of competetive fun.

what do you like?

Not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying generally speaking the people who PINE for dueling are the same people I don’t enjoy playing with personally. Anet created a basically not competitive game.

We don’t compete for kills, we don’t compete for nodes. This is sort of out of the standard what Anet tried to do in PvE which is to make it no-competitive. Everything that’s really competitive is instanced….tucked away. It’s part of the allure of this game for lots of people.

The closest thing we have to PvP in the open world is costume brawl which I don’t think anyone sees as competitive. It’s just a bit of fun.

But dueling isn’t just a bit of fun. If it was, people wouldn’t be so pushy about it. Its’ serious business for some people. And I don’t think that Anet was designing this game for those people…not the PvE game certainly. They’ve made it as noncompetitive as possible.

So yeah I think it goes against the whole flow of the game. It’s not in the game because Anet didn’t want it to be…or they’d have put it there.

I don’t mind 1v1 PvP or duels as long as they’re in a place where I don’t have to deal with them….and that includes people fighting around me while I’m crafting or banking or just chatting.

Let Anet make a dueling instance and that’s cool. But keep it out of the open world, please.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PwnsFroggles.7561

PwnsFroggles.7561

I don’t get why people would say no to dueling. I mean they could implement a dueling ring zone or something like that. It makes me mad when people just make up stupid reasons to deny what a lot of other people want.

Runescape anyone? A wildness zone would be kittening amazing too.

in Suggestions

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Dude, open world duels will:

-break events when aggro happens on duelists (or duelists aggro stuff)
-clog waypoints
-introduce griefing whiners (the previous thread before the merge was full of people who admitted they wanted it purely to troll new people.)
-bring the whiney “duel me bruh” freaks that that other game is overrun with.

none of these are good things.

I’m afraid I don’t understand a couple of your points.

One, how would dueling break events? If people are dueling and not doing the event then scaling doesn’t apply to them, no more than someone af’k in an event area. The event only sees people who are doing the event. And if they get aggro from event mobs, then they will have to stop dueling to deal with it. At that point they are doing the event.

The other was, clog waypoints. How would they clog waypoints? You can still travel even if people are standing on a waypoint. And what difference does it make if people duel on top of a waypoint or somewhere else?

Been ignoring this thread, because why feed the people who want to troll, but you’re speaking (as it were) directly to me.

The first one – breaking events. Simple – ANY skill that interacts with an event enemy or NPC has an effect on event scaling. Let’s say the mortal kombat kiddies have chosen a nicely public place to duel. (In WOW they always did, safe to assume the same kittens will do the same thing here.) Without fail, they’ll be altering the dynamic events near them, to the detriment of people playing the game.

For clogging waypoints; Waypoints are pretty much the other obvious place the trolls are going to gather to play their games. Having an extra 10-20 people at a WP when loading will slow up older machines. Having dozens will be crippling for those players.

There’s also the simple fact that you can go to PvP, choose to duel there, and not be annoying to the rest of the world who doesn’t want to either a) wade through the people “fighting” at/around where stuff is going on, or b) the “duel be brah” kittens who crawl out of the woodwork when world dueling is an option. (Again, WoW as a great example of “duel me brah! You scared? I’ve got a bigger kitten than you! You scared Brah!” crap that inevitably comes with this sort of thing.)

Seriously, there’s nothing at all to be gained by open-world dueling, other than the ability to grief players. Since Anet has managed to produce a wonderfully anti-grief climate to play in, I’m dead set against anything opening the door on this mindset.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

not interested, go to a custom arena for your dueling needs.

This.

People bother me enough in WvW with demands to duel. I definitely do not want PvE overrun with the same crap.

Not like they can’t add a auto reject duels option, and really it would probably happen much less frequently in PvE areas as in WvW areas people figure you are there to PvP so you might want to duel.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

If the dueling crowd really wants an open-world dueling option, designated areas could work, because one of the technical issues ANet had to touch on is the interaction of dueling with open world events.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

The problem with custom Arenas is for some reason Anet decided that you cannot pick separate armor pieces to mix and match therefore killing any variety and making the dueling community sway away from SPvP. Until Anet introduces a system in which you could make your build such as you would in WvW, foods and nourishment included, a large part of the dueling community won’t participate in SPvP dueling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t mind 1v1 PvP or duels as long as they’re in a place where I don’t have to deal with them….and that includes people fighting around me while I’m crafting or banking or just chatting.

This is how I feel and I posted a very similar opinion on this as well. I’m sure there are plenty of people that want to duel that would try to not make this an issue but it is kind of like the music instrument situation where others would not care or would do it to get one people’s nerves. I highly doubt they could make a slider option to not view dueling in open world.

If open world dueling did occur I think I know where it would occur and it wouldn’t be out of the way places or contested areas. I think it would probably be the easiest places to access with no chance of picking up agro from mobs. It would be the more populated areas so that those wanting to duel can find people faster to have pickup duels. This would most likely be where other people are trying to do transactions, crafting and other things. Even if they set it so it was not allowed in major cities I have a map in mind where I think it is most likely to occur.

It isn’t so much I don’t want to see dueling if I am roaming around. I would prefer not to have combat effects all over my screen with the accompanying sounds while doing something at a TP or crafting station. Then of course you would have to see the affect it would have on /map and /say. It would probably result in a lot of back and forth specifically related to who won and who lost and who won’t fight who. I’m being a bit forgiving when I leave it at that level of conversation. An instanced dueling area I’m all for.

Just looking at this thread and seeing some pro open world dueling players saying people that don’t want it are just QQing kind of makes me wonder if that attitude would spill into open world as well.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

So now the problems are: Balance (still) and Immersion.

1: Balance: Dueling is not a game mode. Its a feature that most people who enjoy it use for fun whilst doing other things/waiting around places. Arenanet isn’t going to balance for 1v1 duels because, unlike sPvP, PvE, and WvW, which all have seperate balance concerns, dueling is flat out not a game mode. You can’t possibly play the game doing nothing but dueling the way you can with the three true game modes.

2: Immersion. If anything, random duels in open world are more immersive. I’d love to run across some sort of bridge and get challenged by a random guy holding it.

In regards to pretty scenery, how is it that you don’t have a problem with the offchance that some guy will be rolling through deer in the middle of your scene? With duels enabled, is the world going to suddenly be filled with people smashing each other in places where they weren’t smashing mobs before? No.

In regards to cities, I feel like people are kind of nitpicking here. Is it a valid concern that you might get annoyed by combat noise while you stare at your bank/crafting/trading panel? Sure. Is it a valid concern that players have no option at all to pit PvE builds against guildies or anybody on their own server? Aye. I’ll leave it up to you to decide which consideration is more valuable to the most people.

Not to mention, given that ANet’s culling system works on audio, its highly probable they could work out a way for you to never have to see or hear anybody dueling ever.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

in Suggestions

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

it is funny to see the balance complain. Iam a active WvW roamer, SPVP player and i can say by experience that this game is really well balanced.

People dont get that the professiones are different and they have different functions.

As i say before, all this QQ for having a duel system, is because people dont want to look coward when someone ask for a duel.

Well i dont really want to mess with the game play of others soooooooooo

Please Anet give us a cool instance where we can duel with our friends!!

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

As i say before, all this QQ for having a duel system, is because people dont want to look coward when someone ask for a duel.

Your attitude is exactly why I don’t want to see dueling in open world. I don’t want /map and /say littered with players like you saying things like, “So and so is such a chicken because they won’t duel me. They are just afraid of getting pwned LOL” IMO that’s the light version of what would occur. Making statements such as yours is not helping the argument for dueling in open world.

As I have said, I’m not against dueling and I would probably participate in it from time to time if it were in an instanced area. People that don’t want dueling in open world does not translate to coward. They are entitled to their opinion on the matter as well and just because they don’t want something you do does not mean they are QQing. Making this your argument for dueling is juvenile and lacks substance.

There have been several valid points made by others on why they don’t want it in open world. Some of pro dueling people in this thread have ignored several of those points.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

in Suggestions

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

Alot of people seem to forget that this Game was advertised as a PvP centric one much like GW1 was if I remember correctly. Anet keeps on pushing PvP on to the e-sport scene even though the content patching was a bit late.

Every standard MMO from the last 10 years had/has a duel preset option , and quite a while ago Anet replied to this Duel feature with something like " we will see in the future " .

Even though I hope dueling will be implemented as soon as possible the PvE community has nothing to fear , an on/off duel setting and a special zone will not effect our lovely carebears that keep on finding reasons against it.

play hard , go pro.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I despise dueling and in games that feature it, I always have duels set to auto-decline.

That said, I can think of no good reason to deny duels to people who enjoy them. It doesn’t affect me in the slightest. And in over 15 years of playing MMOs, I can count on one hand the number of times a dueler said something to me about declining his request, and they all went on ignore. Problem solved.

Besides, duels are occasionally fun to watch. Sometimes its cool when you’re walking through the city and suddenly a fight breaks out. I mean, as much as the “Living World” concept has been shoved down my throat… aren’t street fights something that happens in a Living World?

I will support this if, and only if, the lionguard show up to haul off the fighters once done and pay a fine.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

I have not forgotten and would love an official response on this, seriously. It’s been far too long, and there have been far too many requests for it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

Your attitude is exactly why I don’t want to see dueling in open world. I don’t want /map and /say littered with players like you saying things like, “So and so is such a chicken because they won’t duel me. They are just afraid of getting pwned LOL” IMO that’s the light version of what would occur. Making statements such as yours is not helping the argument for dueling in open world.

Ok then Anet please take off the dance, laugh, wave functions because our enemies in WvW use it to make fun of us when they kill us.

Start giving good reasons instead of the selfish no sense argument “i dont want people to tell me chicken”.

People already talk trash, in every single game is the same.

Anyways AGAIN, make a instance so the “i dont want to be called chicken” people dont have to deal with the SUPER MEGA anoying people asking them for a duel.

Is not fair that the people that bouoght this game for the pvp aspect, doesnt have any change to fight against guild members or friends with our PVE equipment that we use in WvW.

It is just unbelivable.

I hope anet give us some feed back, at least give us some information about their thinking . . . sorry if they did and i dont know.

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

Is not fair that the people that bouoght this game for the pvp aspect, doesnt have any change to fight against guild members or friends with our PVE equipment that we use in WvW.

Stop QQing.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

No one forgot about dueling. It is just that if you put in dueling then you have to balance the professions so they somewhat stand a chance at each other. As it stands now, everyone would run Mesmer, Thief, or Necromancer. There is no reason to run another profession.

As a Mesmer you have access to everything, so while being super defensive you can still deal a lot of damage. Necromancer can just pile on conditions till you are out of cleans while being one of the hardest classes to kill without multiple stuns/blinds. Thief will either 2 shot you or run and come back and try again.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I love these threads. Seeing the responses from the pro crowd reminds me exactly what I hate the most about PvP. Every time I see some poster use the line “care bear”, it shows their level of mentality and just reinforces my dislick of everything PvP based in this game.
In GW1, you could duel in the guild halls, that was pretty much it. When/if they add guild halls, that would be the place to add dueling. Group events are an example of what you would start seeing, so many particle effects going off from the duelists you would not be able to even make out the rest of the game.
I am sure Monday morning the mods will simply merge this thread in to the many, many other threads already merged.

Oh yeah, please stop with the “every other mmo/game, etc has it”. That is not even close to being a valid argument and is the last resort of someone who cannot think of any real valid reason.

(edited by ShiningSquirrel.3751)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Fine by me with 4 caveats.
1. Not in crafting areas, bank areas, Black Lion trader Areas.
2. Autodecline option.
3 Removal of the dueling option after the first 20 page thread on “DEWLIN” balance.
4 a dueling harassment report option.

Duelers don’t have actually duel you to harass by dueling. Was pretty common for some segments of the dewl crowd to show up at RP events or locations and mass dewl, effectively disrupting an event as badly as any group of trollers, without ever leaving a reportable chat log.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I just love how they tied the custom arenas to the gem store. As much as I would love to duel, I won’t spend a single gem to do it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

saying custom arenas are ok is rubbish. that is a lot of red tape and bureacracy to even get a match. not worth it. you need to watch other people duel in front of you, not have to load instances for 1 quick duel….that’s unacceptable, from a dueling perspective

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Custom Arena’s Suck…

Open World Dueling Please…

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

(edited by Daecollo.9578)

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

…it shows their level of mentality and just reinforces my dislick of everything PvP based in this game.

Please don’t confuse duelers with PvPers. PvPers want a balanced playing field where skill, tactics, and well executed play win the day. Duelers want a playing field where gear advantage, food advantage, cheese factor and build win the day.

in Suggestions

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I keep trying to forget about open-world dueling, but every once in a while someone brings it up. On the odd chance ANet will read this thread and hasn’t read the prior ones, my stance is that open world dueling is fine with me IF:

• There is an auto-decline duels option as the default
  • The ignore list is not capped — just on the odd chance I start getting whispers about why I’m auto-declining
  • Open world dueling cannot take place in social areas (trading post, crafting areas, role-play spots); in other words, so there are places duelers can go to duel, and other places other players can go to avoid being annoyed by duels

Why do I impose those conditions? Because any system put into an online game can be and will be abused by some players.

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

• The ignore list is not capped — just on the odd chance I start getting whispers about why I’m auto-declining

I like how you worded it “on the odd chance”. Because it is a very rare chance this will happen.

I am sure many of us have played MMOs that had a /duel. I myself have never been harassed over duels and at most I have had someone send me an invite randomly to a duel and after I declined sent another one and I am a “PvPer”.

So, this fear of being harassed seems like a moot point because first off it is against ToS no matter what the harassment is about. Just report the idiot get him banned and the game will be better for it.
Secondly why would someone care that you, someone who doesn’t even want to duel, won’t duel them? Unless you are in map chat saying you are the best and everyone is a scrub, you are just one person in a sea of thousands which includes people who do want to duel.

Nothing against you IndigoSundown.5419, but I feel alot of you guys are just flattering yourselves thinking people are going to hound you for duels to the point your block list will be full and you will still have the whispers rolling in.

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

I keep trying to forget about open-world dueling, but every once in a while someone brings it up. On the odd chance ANet will read this thread and hasn’t read the prior ones, my stance is that open world dueling is fine with me IF:

• Open world dueling cannot take place in social areas (trading post, crafting areas, role-play spots); in other words, so there are places duelers can go to duel, and other places other players can go to avoid being annoyed by duels

Why do I impose those conditions? Because any system put into an online game can be and will be abused by some players.

Your forgot standard armor repair costs when defeated.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

I would like to see the duels end after you are downed. Mostly because I think the downed state in PvP is lame, but it will also solve that problem.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Custom Arenas are the answer to your prayers. They’re balanced.

Also, the Windmill in (insert server here) BL. They’re unbalanced.

Spvp is balanced for spvp, not duels, though. Besides, open world dueling could offer interesting places to fight at, like on some plank high above the ground.

Group events are an example of what you would start seeing, so many particle effects going off from the duelists you would not be able to even make out the rest of the game.

Group events where? At the middle of Gendarran Fields or some other area nobody EVER goes? Even disabling it in towns seems pointless. There is already costume brawl and I’m sure it doesn’t bother anyone – and if it does, then perhaps its time to look at the mirror.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

I would like to see the duels end after you are downed. Mostly because I think the downed state in PvP is lame, but it will also solve that problem.

But that isn’t the way it works in PvE. IMO if you are going to pick a fight with some random player then you should be prepared to spend some time visiting the armor repair merchant. Perhaps if you are dueling a friend or guild member they will do you a solid and call it a match once downed. Plus wouldn’t it make it even that much more exciting to have more at stake than bragging rights?

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

But that isn’t the way it works in PvE. IMO if you are going to pick a fight with some random player then you should be prepared to spend some time visiting the armor repair merchant. Perhaps if you are dueling a friend or guild member they will do you a solid and call it a match once downed. Plus wouldn’t it make it even that much more exciting to have more at stake than bragging rights?

I don’t care really either way. I am not ultra competitive and play for fun only.

I just want a quick and easy way for me and my friends to be able to have a quick duel in our WvW gear.

It is not like I am going to break the bank even if I duel and lose all day.

in Suggestions

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You mistook “do not give a rat’s kitten about” for “forgot.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Obtuse.1504

Obtuse.1504

LOL. I love how folks like myself, who aren’t in favor of Dueling, are the ones QQing. What?

And stop with the coward comments that doesn’t support your argument and makes you look like a kitten.

Also, you should stop saying how it helps you with WvW. You and I both know that while it does exist, small group and 1v1 fights are extremely rare. They can happen and they can just as much meet the zerg. Their is no way you are better prepared for WvW by 1v1 dueling, I might buy it if you said sPvP not WvW. And the PvE argument is just a cover for “I want to own you with my ascended and legendaries”.

Now, I could agree with what some others have suggested. A gladiator arena in each city with spectator mode, point system and achievemnets. That would be a cool feature if this game was designed around it.

Say no to Duels.