Expansion Thread [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Do you really think they would introduce a new class or raids in a LS update? Because thats what you are saying. I know its possible. But its very unlikely.

Class, no.
Raids, no.
Raid (singular), yes.

I think the first raids will be in a feature update, and not really connect to the LS. They’ll be separate, and they’ll refine them a bit to get them to where they want them to be. THEN they’ll release the occasional one with the LS, and see how that goes.

You can easily introduce a new class outside an expansion pack via LW. Just look at LOTRO. Arenanet can monetise it via gem store.

I also hope that the will introduce the first raid via LW or feature pack. we have to see what kind this raid will be and philosophy behind. It would be very risky to launch several raids via X-pack or as a pack via gem store and the players hate all of them.

I would prefer an expansion via LW/feature packs. The reason is the real-time-feeling the LW can produce. It does not mean that I am not willing to pay for certain aspects like a new class or raid via gem store.

It is clear for me that the current treatment of the LW concept will never enable the delivery of larger chunks of World beside the core story. The current LW team and manpower is simply too small without support from other teams. This lesson season 2 taught us. If Season 3 is one of the big projects in the background LW could easily reach a much larger dimension with a lot of new zones, skills weapons and even a new class or race. But we know nothing about the so secret projects.

Another problem is the communication of Arenanet. We still do not know what LW really means for the company. Is it a filler then they put too much effort in it. It is something bigger then they currently put too less effort in it. Was Season 2 still a test? Was it the optimum of LW Areanet want to deliver?

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I also know I may not be in the target demographic anymore. I can accept that and if the future of the game is best served by going in directions I’m not comfortable with that’s fine. However, I want to play a game that fits me a bit better if so. I don’t think I’m ever going to be one of those “that’s it I’m leaving” folks… hopefully. lol

Either way they decide I want GW2 to succeed. Gw1 was my first real MMo (well that could be debatable) and the GW brand will always be special to me.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Do you really think they would introduce a new class or raids in a LS update? Because thats what you are saying. I know its possible. But its very unlikely.

Class, no.
Raids, no.
Raid (singular), yes.

I think the first raids will be in a feature update, and not really connect to the LS. They’ll be separate, and they’ll refine them a bit to get them to where they want them to be. THEN they’ll release the occasional one with the LS, and see how that goes.

You can easily introduce a new class outside an expansion pack via LW. Just look at LOTRO. Arenanet can monetise it via gem store.

Pretty certain this is something ANet will not do: lock a profession behind the gem store. Actually, they won’t lock any races, skills, traits, gearsets, etc. behind the gemstore. Cosmetics? Sure. Mechanics? No.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Class, no.
Raids, no.
Raid (singular), yes.

I also hope that the will introduce the first raid via LW or feature pack. we have to see what kind this raid will be and philosophy behind. It would be very risky to launch several raids via X-pack or as a pack via gem store and the players hate all of them.

I would prefer an expansion via LW/feature packs. The reason is the real-time-feeling the LW can produce. It does not mean that I am not willing to pay for certain aspects like a new class or raid via gem store.

It is clear for me that the current treatment of the LW concept will never enable the delivery of larger chunks of World beside the core story. The current LW team and manpower is simply too small without support from other teams. This lesson season 2 taught us. If Season 3 is one of the big projects in the background LW could easily reach a much larger dimension with a lot of new zones, skills weapons and even a new class or race. But we know nothing about the so secret projects.

Another problem is the communication of Arenanet. We still do not know what LW really means for the company. Is it a filler then they put too much effort in it. It is something bigger then they currently put too less effort in it. Was Season 2 still a test? Was it the optimum of LW Areanet want to deliver?

I think this is a great point. Knowing the direction the game is going would mean a TON.

Belenwyn.8674

Class, no.
Raids, no.
Raid (singular), yes.

Pretty certain this is something ANet will not do: lock a profession behind the gem store. Actually, they won’t lock any races, skills, traits, gearsets, etc. behind the gemstore. Cosmetics? Sure. Mechanics? No.

Why should they lock a class or profession behind an expansion pack? This means we will get races, skills, traits, gearsets, raids etc for free. It seems there is not much left for an X-pack.

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Class, no.
Raids, no.
Raid (singular), yes.

Why should they lock a class or profession behind an expansion pack? This means we will get races, skills, traits, gearsets, raids etc for free. It seems there is not much left for an X-pack.

One, I’m pretty sure an expansion pack isn’t coming.

Two, even if one was released, it would not only be available through the gem store. In fact, that may not be an option. Tougher to say on an actual expansion.

I’m a Geeleiver

Belenwyn.8674

Two, even if one was released, it would not only be available through the gem store. In fact, that may not be an option. Tougher to say on an actual expansion.

For point two you are right. Arenanet would release special editions/bundles only available outside the gem store.

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

For point two you are right. Arenanet would release special editions/bundles only available outside the gem store.

Digital Deluxe upgrade is in the gem store. I said that any such expansion wouldn’t only be available in the gem store. Could buy it off of various websites and in stores too, in all likelihood. Only reason an expansion may not be available in the gem store is gold→ gems conversion.

I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

What if expansion doesn’t come in 2015?
I’ll continue to play as I have been, completing the living story when they update and participating in guild activities.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

One thing you’re forgetting here: Guild Wars 2 is the first game to ever attempt the Living Story style content. Season 1 was a huge, risky experiment, but you know what? ANet feels it paid off. That’s why we’re in Season 2, with Season 3 (likely) approaching.

Wrong several games release smaller content patches within their games in between releases. WoW does it every 3-4 months after a release of an expansion. Then takes a year off but still. This makes permanent changes to zones, tweaks abilities, adds raids or dungeon content. ANet calls theirs living story but when you really objectively look at it its the same thing other expansion do without having to put a name to it.

Saying “so many games in the past have proven the expansion model is super efficient and brings more hype and interest in the game” is stupid because expansions are all anybody else has tried. Your statement insinuates that other methods have been shown ineffective, but that is definitely not the case because other methods haven’t been attempted yet.

Before you call others statements stupid maybe you should reconsider y our own. You are reading in “insinuates” which is a personal interpretation by you. You should probably get clarification before making assumptions because we all know what those make. As far as other methods being tried. The MMO industry has been around for a lot longer than several people on this forum have been able to walk. Many methods have been tried over the years in many different games. Of course their going to go with the most efficient and effective methods. “Hey Gary how are we going to handle this?” “Dunno George lets do it the worst or at least 2nd best way of doing it!” Actually on 2nd thought that may be a Anet conversation.

But anyways yes look at Warlords of Draenor. They have had more returns and subscriptions then GW2 has had sales. Let alone current customers. Should probably get a clue yourself before calling others comment “stupid.”

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

But anyways yes look at Warlords of Draenor. They have had more returns and subscriptions then GW2 has had sales. Let alone current customers. Should probably get a clue yourself before calling others comment “stupid.”

WoD sold 3 million copies and jumped again to 10m subs .
PPl from Asia dont have to buy/pay the x-pack .
So it seems 3m million ppl are from the West (Eu+Russian+Eu)
GW2 didnt launched in Asia at 2012
How may coppies it sold again ?

:P

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Honestly thinking about it I don’t know what the sales figures for GW2 were in Asia other then they were less then expected. I don’t know that an actual number has been published has it? Also the WoD sales figure that has been released was for the first 24 hours. Doesn’t include pre order and orders since.

Posted by: Sekhmet.6153

Sekhmet.6153

First of all, I do believe they are working on an expansion or at least what is essentially an expansion. Now, whether they choose to release it like a regular expansion pack or they choose to market it as “something different” (which to me makes the most sense looking at their track record of trying to separate themselves from competitors) I am not sure. But I would be willing to bet that sometime in 2015, there will be major additions or they will release teasers about the upcoming additions.

Secondly, It baffles me how many people I read say that expansions won’t work and will just be played in a month and people will be “bored”. Did Factions or Nightfall really only add 1 month of playtime for people? of course not. Thats such a really poor argument that I can’t even fathom the people who are making them. If Anet release an actual expansion in the vein of Factions or Night Fall or even Eye of the North, you can bet it would add months and months of play.

Naturally it won’t make everyone happy, but if there were 10-20 new maps, 50+ new weapon skills, a couple new weapons in general as well as increasing the number of weapons available to a class, more dungeons and possibly upgrading WvW or adding GvG would add another year or two of play since thats completely changing the way players can choose to play the game. And thats not even bringing up new classes or races.

New weapons and skills = much more players getting back into PvP, and if its accompanied by more modes and maps and rewards to PvP, you’ll definitely give pvpers reasons to play.

Just saying that I doubt GW2 will go through most of its prime without actually attempting to add significant things.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Also the WoD sales figure that has been released was for the first 24 hours. Doesn’t include pre order and orders since.

Pre-ordering counts on the opening day
The day that they ’’open’’ the ’’gates’’ to the new x-pack , and you can play it

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

First of all, I do believe they are working on an expansion or at least what is essentially an expansion. Now, whether they choose to release it like a regular expansion pack or they choose to market it as “something different” (which to me makes the most sense looking at their track record of trying to separate themselves from competitors) I am not sure. But I would be willing to bet that sometime in 2015, there will be major additions or they will release teasers about the upcoming additions.

Secondly, It baffles me how many people I read say that expansions won’t work and will just be played in a month and people will be “bored”. Did Factions or Nightfall really only add 1 month of playtime for people? of course not. Thats such a really poor argument that I can’t even fathom the people who are making them. If Anet release an actual expansion in the vein of Factions or Night Fall or even Eye of the North, you can bet it would add months and months of play.

Naturally it won’t make everyone happy, but if there were 10-20 new maps, 50+ new weapon skills, a couple new weapons in general as well as increasing the number of weapons available to a class, more dungeons and possibly upgrading WvW or adding GvG would add another year or two of play since thats completely changing the way players can choose to play the game. And thats not even bringing up new classes or races.

New weapons and skills = much more players getting back into PvP, and if its accompanied by more modes and maps and rewards to PvP, you’ll definitely give pvpers reasons to play.

Just saying that I doubt GW2 will go through most of its prime without actually attempting to add significant things.

Point is though that MMO expansions are almost never as big as the original GW’s. GW in the first place wasn’t an MMORPG and the content created for it was mainly single-player centered. When MMOs release an expansion, it is usually a couple of new zones and other additions. I have never played an MMO where they add a gigantic continent with a playable area almost as big as the original one. Alot of GW2’s players have really little experience when it comes to how other MMOs work and some haven’t ever touched another MMO aside from GW2. Yea, people will gladly complain and ask Anet to release an expansion like most other MMOs however most of them don’t realize that if a traditional expansion is to come, it won’t be nearly as big as the original GW’s. I would love it if that happens but it is not something that I would await. There is simply no point in waiting for a miracle when the chance of it happening is too low.

When people saw GW2’s manifesto, they actually believed that Anet will give them content that is never repeatable. A world where you will never grind and if you so choose to, you will never have to play something twice. Well, it is fancy to think like that but it is totally unrealistic. Alot of people felt cheated and blamed Anet for lying. None though took the time to reconsider their own actions. Was it really reasonable to think like that? today, we don’t have the technology to create a game like that so what was the reason that people actually believed such a dreamy MMO would be publishe dso soon?

Back in time, people didn’t have enough knowledge to see the difference between promotion and reality and once again alot of people will be shocked as to where MMOs actually are in our current age. Most MMOs in the industry are suffering but people are too ignorant to notice that and would rather sit down here and blame Anet, praising other MMOs that hey have never played. Not even realizing that the MMO industry barely have a couple of titles that are doing well.

I would love an expansion and I do think that Anet have messed up alot of things that could have been better. I also think that an expansion would help the game and make its’ popularity explode once again. However, I am not going to have high expectations either. And awaiting a new continent to be fully opened with a new expansion is one of these expectations.

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

One thing you’re forgetting here: Guild Wars 2 is the first game to ever attempt the Living Story style content. Season 1 was a huge, risky experiment, but you know what? ANet feels it paid off. That’s why we’re in Season 2, with Season 3 (likely) approaching.

Wrong several games release smaller content patches within their games in between releases. WoW does it every 3-4 months after a release of an expansion. Then takes a year off but still. This makes permanent changes to zones, tweaks abilities, adds raids or dungeon content. ANet calls theirs living story but when you really objectively look at it its the same thing other expansion do without having to put a name to it.

Saying “so many games in the past have proven the expansion model is super efficient and brings more hype and interest in the game” is stupid because expansions are all anybody else has tried. Your statement insinuates that other methods have been shown ineffective, but that is definitely not the case because other methods haven’t been attempted yet.

Before you call others statements stupid maybe you should reconsider y our own. You are reading in “insinuates” which is a personal interpretation by you. You should probably get clarification before making assumptions because we all know what those make. As far as other methods being tried. The MMO industry has been around for a lot longer than several people on this forum have been able to walk. Many methods have been tried over the years in many different games. Of course their going to go with the most efficient and effective methods. “Hey Gary how are we going to handle this?” “Dunno George lets do it the worst or at least 2nd best way of doing it!” Actually on 2nd thought that may be a Anet conversation.

Does WoW use that as their primary content? No. What I said is very much still correct.

Stating something as a universal truth inherently insinuates anything that is not that is not true. To know something is not true, some testing would have had to be done. No game before GW2 has attempted to do major content updates outside of a full expansion pack before, so no proof can exist that an expansion is the only way to do it.

As for your comment on WoD,… Duh? WoW has always been a titan among giants in the MMO genre. When you have 2-3 times as many subscribers to your game as GW2 has players, your expansion is going to have higher sales.

I’m a Geeleiver

nGumball.1283

Honestly thinking about it I don’t know what the sales figures for GW2 were in Asia other then they were less then expected. I don’t know that an actual number has been published has it? Also the WoD sales figure that has been released was for the first 24 hours. Doesn’t include pre order and orders since.

WoW is no form the standard for how MMOs should perform.
We have never had a title as successful as WoW and we probably never will.

Your arguments to support your delusion that GW2 is doing badly, are nothing but made-up points based on no knowledge whatsover regarding how the MMO industry works. I already pointed it out for you, most of the MMOs in the industry are suffering and just a couple of them are doing well. Everything from SWTOR and ESO to Archeage have been nothing more than a disappointing run considering the huge titles behind these games and what people actually awaited to get. Are these games dead? no, SWTOR is much better than release in fact, however none of these became popular to the point of dominating the industry or even having enough commercial success to gain more popularity. Frankly enough, most of the titles out there have had tough commercial runs and just a few got praises in which many are nitch titles like TSW (nitch titles like that are good games however they sadly have no big player-base for a reason or another).

We have FF14 with a pretty successful re-release and a huge popularity, first and foremost in the eastern industry. Aside from that, we really have had lackluster performences in the industry. And since the situation is like this, don’t await a miracle to happen and Anet to go out of their to make your wishes come true. Is GW2 on a decline? yup, it is. Does it need an epxnasion? I personally think it does. Is GW2 dead? it is more active than most MMOs out there so I doubt it.

One of the reasons that GW2 has been successful out there despite the lackluster updates is that there is not much else in the industry. Alot of GW2’s players play the game because there are no better options atm.

PS. I am talking here about commerical success, not quality. Quality-wise there is alot of good MMOs. Lotro is still an amazing experience, same goes for TSW and ESO. All are recent games that I personally have played and enjoyed.

(edited by nGumball.1283)

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

I will answer the question:

“What if expansion doesn’t come in 2015?”

With another question:

“Would that be a surprise?”

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Mister Stygian.2135

Mister Stygian.2135

Living story isn’t coming close to delivering because when you log in, you are going to be playing with the same skills and classes and the same way you did three years ago. LS hasn’t actually changed the experience of playing. A trickle of story is far from what this game needs for revitalization. If an expansion doesn’t come or they don’t completely overhaul what the LS delivers, it is going to be bad times.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

How many expansions have actually had influence on the areas of the game not introduced by the expansion itself? Very, very few.

In my experience every expansion that adds new classes, races, game mechanics, skills, etc influences pre-existing content.

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

I will answer the question:

With another question:

“Would that be a surprise?”

Nope, better give that game a fast painless death instead of letting it bleeding out like that.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

People need to stop saying things like “the Living Story can deliver X, Y, and Z just fine so there’s no need for an expansion.” Until the Living Story actually delivers X,Y, and Z (and for most people their particular X, Y, and Z have not been delivered and in some cases their W has been removed) that kind of argument holds absolutely no merit when discussing the desire for a traditional expansion.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

People need to stop saying things like “the Living Story can deliver X, Y, and Z just fine so there’s no need for an expansion.” Until the Living Story actually delivers X,Y, and Z (and for most people their particular X, Y, and Z have not been delivered and in some cases their W has been removed) that kind of argument holds absolutely no merit when discussing the desire for a traditional expansion.

On the same token, people need to stop saying that without an expansion the game will die, people will leave in a mass exodus, and Anet will go out of business. Because those arguments have no merit.

As far as LS not delivering X, Y and Z…we already got X and Y from the LS alone. New game mechanics (X) and maps (Y). (i.e. Boss mechanics, new skins, new gear stats, instances for story telling, new maps, new achievements, new enemy types, new mystic forge recipes, etc.)

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Depends on your definitions of expansions.

But frankly, if nothing comes, well, not much will probably change for me, unless WvW starts tanking; in which case if it does, I’ll just leave since it’s the sole reason I play the game as a whole.

But if something that’s actually a contender (that isn’t over-hyped garbage like AA, TESO, WS), comes along before there’s any significant update? Then simply, I’m out of here unless they can pry me back.

And I believe that’s what GW2 needs to actually have content developed. They basically co-released alongside TERA in 2012. Makes one believe that they developed the game to be so incredible on the basis that they didn’t want to lose interest to their direct competitors.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

On the same token, people need to stop saying that without an expansion the game will die, people will leave in a mass exodus, and Anet will go out of business. Because those arguments have no merit.

As far as LS not delivering X, Y and Z…we already got X and Y from the LS alone. New game mechanics (X) and maps (Y). (i.e. Boss mechanics, new skins, new gear stats, instances for story telling, new maps, new achievements, new enemy types, new mystic forge recipes, etc.)

Your X and Y and everyone else’s may (and probably do) differ significantly. I highly doubt many people rate “new mechanics” as an integral part of expansions. Furthermore, even if people share your particular X and Y, I doubt anyone would say they received them in full. If Y is new maps, most would say the Living Story has delivered maybe a third of what would be expected out of a 2 year life cycle.

So if your argument is that Living Story is currently delivering traditional expansion-like content in both quality and quantity, you’re clearly out of touch with the expectations of many gamers. Now, given that Living Story is clearly not meeting many people’s expectations (obvious from a cursory examination of in-game chat or the forums), those saying that without an expansion GW2 will ultimately face a mass exodus do have merit to their argument. Name me a single game that grew its playerbase by failing to live up to the player’s expectations, because I can name dozens across multiple genres that did, in fact, have a mass exodus due to spotty content delivery.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

ok, so we’re gonna discus if the LS has given us expansion size content?
firstly, about 90% in LS’s are temp contents so most of the whole LS content crap doesn’t exist anymore.
secondly, let me bring you an example on how big GW1 has become from pre to post EotN:
http://billywr.com/guild_wars/imgs/map.jpg
you see all the places you can visit before EotN was live, now see how much you can explore within 1 single expansion.
http://i.imgur.com/0SyFS.jpg
that’s what you call an expansion, it added 4(5) new armor sets in-game for each profession(so that’s every set times 10), forgot how many non-profession specific pieces but plenty and we even got plenty of PvE-only skills we could use.
that’s not all, it brought plenty of dungeons and most of them are done without all the HM crap(you could still do HM but by choice, it’s not forced like in GW2), you can do the main story all over again if you wanted to (so like redoing your PS from scratch) and enough new weapons all around.

let’s look at all the LS stuff we got, there are some weapon sets behind a pay wall, only 1 armor set and some fluff skins i see no one use. (i do not count event skins, GW1 would then be way above GW2 so no fair already)
oh ofcouse, we have 3 max level areas….but also some areas (like kesseks hills) being screwed up, it doesn’t even count as an expansion but more like a cheap DLC.

we want an expansion, not fluff over fluff just to keep us sweet, you can’t keep players sweet with useless crap when it doesn’t really expand the world.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

McDonalds sells more meat and makes more money that Peter Luger’s Steak House. It’s not better. Judging a game by the number of sales it makes over all or even the amount of subs means less than zero to the quality of the game.

Blizzard came into the industry at a time when there was a tiny bit of competition and they had the money to advertise. I’m pretty sure there are no South Park episodes about Guild Wars.

Regardless of that, if you take WoW out of the Equation and look at every other MMO in the last five years, Guild Wars 2 as successful as any of them (and far more successful than most).

Zero Day.2594

Regardless of that, if you take WoW out of the Equation and look at every other MMO in the last five years, Guild Wars 2 as successful as any of them (and far more successful than most).

That’s like when a professor says the class average is 60% on a test, and on that test you got 70%. Well, yeah you did do considerably better than the rest but… Well… seems like the “average” student is not so bright (or the test was extremely hard…) and you didn’t really do so well either – just a 70%…. 80% would have been better, +90% would have been preferred to say “yeah I did much better than the rest”

Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Nothing changes for me, GW2 has a great foundation and beautiful art style, at least until I see another game that has a WvW/RvR focus that I enjoy more.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Anet will make an expansion when they really lose a lot of player. Who knows if it’s gonna be 2015 or 2016.

Want an expansion? Stop playing GW2.

Or it could do the complete opposite.

Losing many people could make NCSoft decide spending money on an expansion would not be worth it, and as such an expansion would never happen.

Agreed, although Zanshin appears to be confused as to why expansions are released in the first place. Expansions are made to re-invigorate their existing playerbase while attracting new players. There has to be a combination of both for their efforts to be successful.

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

I’m not sure how they just left a lame christmas update and for us to have fun during the vacation time.

i’m already seeking for new games..

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I have an idea if no expansion comes can start one of those change.org petitions to get Obama to turn the screws on ANet

Posted by: vectorfox.6894

vectorfox.6894

If no expansion is released next year than i will just sit back and watch the game burn to the ground while playing with my barbie dolls, unless they don’t release any more character customization options than ill just migrate to some other game.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

If no expansion is released next year than i will just sit back and watch the game burn to the ground while playing with my barbie dolls, unless they don’t release any more character customization options than ill just migrate to some other game.

That’s why we need real player housing so that you can play Malibu Barbie.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That’s like when a professor says the class average is 60% on a test, and on that test you got 70%. Well, yeah you did do considerably better than the rest but… Well… seems like the “average” student is not so bright (or the test was extremely hard…) and you didn’t really do so well either – just a 70%…. 80% would have been better, +90% would have been preferred to say “yeah I did much better than the rest”

Nope. nothing like it. Because in a class test, everyone is in the same environment. Guild Wars 2 couldn’t be in that environment without a time machine, and not even then.

WoW’s success, in my opinion, is largely dependent on timing and budget to advertise. Which means they had an advantage other companies didn’t have.

Guild Wars 2 launched at a time with dozens of free MMOs. WoW didn’t have that. What had made 5 competitors, none of which could come close to them in investment capitol, particularly coming off the success of their RTS games.

What you’re really doing is judging something after the rules have changed. Of the MMOs playing by the same rules (as in today), Guild Wars 2 is up near the top of the pack.

Anyone who tries to compare a game that debuts now in this climate and a game that debuted 10 years is ignoring reality.

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

They never said they won’t do an expansion.

Actually, they have. This statement was somewhat retracted in 2013 by Mike O’Brien. He hinted, in an interview, that expansions were a possibility . . . but not any time in the near future.

“We don’t need an expansion to pay the bills, and we’re not focused on an expansion right now. I won’t try and predict the future, maybe someday we will do one, maybe we won’t. But for now we are focused on the living world. We believe we can update the world and adapt the world in any way we want to through these bi-weekly updates.”

http://www.pcgamesn.com/guildwars/guild-wars-2s-future-we-dont-need-expansion-pay-bills

All signs point to no expansion next year. Sorry. Not happening.

By Nick Wilson, 482 days ago, 1 Comment

….

Posted by: vectorfox.6894

vectorfox.6894

That’s why we need real player housing so that you can play Malibu Barbie.

Only if the housing system comes with a doll house accessory i can put my mini Marjory and Kasmeer into.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

By Nick Wilson, 482 days ago, 1 Comment

….

Thread question: What if an expansion doesn’t come out in 2015?

Answer: It won’t.

Most recent source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-Expansion-targeted-for-2013/first#post1391159

By Martin Kerstein, this year (January to be exact), 36 comments with some familiar faces saying the same stuff there as they did here.

Kerstein said, “It is also true that we have said in the past that we will do an expansion at one point. But currently we are fully committed to expand the world of Guild Wars 2 through our Living Story (you can read more about it in this blog post by narrative designer Angel McCoy)”

Better?

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

Yes, thanks
/15

Zero Day.2594

Nope. nothing like it. Because in a class test, everyone is in the same environment. Guild Wars 2 couldn’t be in that environment without a time machine, and not even then.

WoW’s success, in my opinion, is largely dependent on timing and budget to advertise. Which means they had an advantage other companies didn’t have.

Guild Wars 2 launched at a time with dozens of free MMOs. WoW didn’t have that. What had made 5 competitors, none of which could come close to them in investment capitol, particularly coming off the success of their RTS games.

What you’re really doing is judging something after the rules have changed. Of the MMOs playing by the same rules (as in today), Guild Wars 2 is up near the top of the pack.

Anyone who tries to compare a game that debuts now in this climate and a game that debuted 10 years is ignoring reality.

Yeah perhaps the classroom example is a bad one, especially since it’s possible to get 100% (hell even over 100%, due to “bonuses”) as well as 0% (not sure about going into the negative, I dont think many tried… – must investigate…).

And yeah it’s true that it has and is doing better than some other games…

Though let me ask you this… Can GW2 do/become better?

Comparison can only really lead to one good thing, and that’s the question if that which you’re comparing can become better than what it is. Otherwise, and if you can pose a that question yourself, comparison is kind of useless.

Join the TEEFs!

nGumball.1283

For the people who are so commited to Living World. This game will eventually die without an expansion. This is how MMOs work and Living World, despite how good it could become, will never be able to replace an expansion.

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

Then the game won’t have an expansion in 2015 :P

Anyaway, I thought they regard the LS updates as “mini expansions”. Personally, I’d like to see an addition of an area larger than DT/SW. They map is pretty big, but the explorable area is… A bit dissapointing size-wise. idk if the game needs a new class, but that would be nice. A new playable race is much more relevant, it seems weird to me that there are all kinds of races taking part in the PS/LS that we have no access to, or can’t even explore their living areas.

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

What if they just make one mega living story update were they add 6new zones and 6new dungeons + more battlegrounds

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Someone would come here and complain it wasn’t fair for some reason.

Gone to Reddit.

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

For the people who are so commited to Living World. This game will eventually die without an expansion. This is how MMOs work and Living World, despite how good it could become, will never be able to replace an expansion.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? No MMO using Living Story as their content delivery method has died yet (because GW2 is the first). I can point to a large number of dead MMO’s that used expansions, though. I’d say Living World has a pretty good shot.

I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

What if they just make one mega living story update were they add 6new zones and 6new dungeons + more battlegrounds

then the wvw players will say…

“why is wvw ignored but they keep adding pve/spvp content”.

nGumball.1283

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? No MMO using Living Story as their content delivery method has died yet (because GW2 is the first). I can point to a large number of dead MMO’s that used expansions, though. I’d say Living World has a pretty good shot.

Apparently I don’t and therefore I apologize for not mentioning that it was my own personal opinion. Living Story as an idea is great and I have to say that it has improved dramatically, I also believe that it could improve even further in the future. However, despite how successful Living Story can be, GW2 as an MMO needs more than happy players to survive. LS in fact is mostly about players who already play the game, players who left and/or haven’t played the game yet will in most cases not care about LS neither how well it develops. Not only because LS is an in-game updating sytem which usually attracts less people but because LS as a system had a really bad reputation last year as it didn’t live up to the name of GW2.

GW2 as a title needs promotional impact and commercial success. Quite frankly, the title is already enormously popular and an expansion announcement could explode its’ popularity in the industry again. MMOs are about commercial success and media attention and GW2 really needs that to keep on going strong. Sadly enough, I don’t think LS will ever have that impact in the industry despite what it brings to the game. Not to mention the fact that at its’ current state, LS doesn’t have enogh content to statisfy the players’ expectations from a game that had such a strong start as GW2.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

So far to me, the living story has only proven to be incapable of providing the quality and quantity of writing and gameplay I expect out of an mmo that releases “an expansions worth of content”.
People keep saying that the living story can provide the exact same thing a full blown expansion can. Well, where is it?
Maybe I’ve just been spoiled by other mmorpgs and shouldn’t expect much. I don’t think so though. I also think anet agrees and I think that’s why they have been working on an expansion. If anet wants to have an mmo that gains popularity over time instead of losing it they will have to really shake things up to get people playing again. The living story just isn’t doing that.

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Now was that so hard? :p

You do have some solid points there, that Living Story does primarily appeal to those who already play, so it has a really tough time of attracting new players. It does do so, but not a large quantity.

I’m not convinced a true expansion is necessary, but a huge patch with hypable content (dungeon, raid, something similar) would not go amiss.

I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

So far to me, the living story has only proven to be incapable of providing the quality and quantity of writing and gameplay I expect out of an mmo that releases “an expansions worth of content”.
People keep saying that the living story can provide the exact same thing a full blown expansion can. Well, where is it?
Maybe I’ve just been spoiled by other mmorpgs and shouldn’t expect much. I don’t think so though. I also think anet agrees and I think that’s why they have been working on an expansion. If anet wants to have an mmo that gains popularity over time instead of losing it they will have to really shake things up to get people playing again. The living story just isn’t doing that.

+1, mostly because Living story isn’t living at all. In contradiction to season 1, where are the impacts of the current LS? Nothing really. S1 had LA destroyed, along with a main protagonist everybody hated; now we have a dragon that made no real diffrence – except adding some boss fight in Iron Marches, and stuff that is instanced like the Pale Tree being sick – so it’s not really there. And when an update does come – we get 2 chapters, and then – nothing. Just another cliff hanger, and at some point, these become boring because you lose the story line with all the “breaks” in between. It becomes something you just want to get over with, instead of enjoying the story itself. I mean, yeah people deserve their holiday break, but it’s not like Christmas came as a surprise, is it? The releases should’ve been scheduled better. Furthermore, there is no epic feeling in current LS. From what I hear (read) from other players this was something really awesome and compelling. But now? We got some instanced encounters and that’s it.
Release LS episode once a month, if that what it takes, but make them worth of that name. Allow us to truly have an impact on Tyria, let us re-visit the existing dungeons with a path related to the story (don’t need a new path in every single one, but a search party to find Rytlock in AC would be nice). So yeah, maybe its not a full expansion, but it’s more true to the “expansion worthy” LS chapters.

And for heaven’s sake, get rid of that glory-hogging cabbage (Trahearn).

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

(edited by Eric.6109)