Expansion Thread [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Do you know how badly this game is doing?

The real reason for megaservers was to merge to populations because if they didnt the server specific maps would have been empty! That is how many players have left the game!
If an expansion comes out, how many will buy it? How long will it keep those who do buy it, in the game?
WvW populations have fallen dramatically as well, where there was once queues on all 4 maps, you only see 1 map queued to 50+ as all players try to join the zerg, cos there are only roamers on the other maps doing very little.

If an expansion doesnt come out, more people will leave the game
If one does come out, some players will continue playing for a while until they have finished one or two run throughs.

But what we all know for certain is that they “cannot talk about it”.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

The real reason for megaservers was to merge to populations because if they didnt the server specific maps would have been empty! That is how many players have left the game!
If an expansion comes out, how many will buy it? How long will it keep those who do buy it, in the game?
WvW populations have fallen dramatically as well, where there was once queues on all 4 maps, you only see 1 map queued to 50+ as all players try to join the zerg, cos there are only roamers on the other maps doing very little.

If one does come out, some players will continue playing for a while until they have finished one or two run throughs.

Megaservers were more to reduce the issue of particular maps being empty while others are permanently on overflow. For instance, before Megaservers, you could go to Brisban Wildlands pretty much any time you pleased and see, at most, two other players. Now that map is more populated because they can condense multiple server’s worth.

In comparison, getting your Frozen Maw done practically required you being on the map a half hour before the event even started, as otherwise you were kicked off to an overflow where the event could have still been an hour away and possibly not even have enough people to complete it.

Megaservers were not done because of a shrinking player population.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Wait. So now the servers are empty, and the population is dying. But in another thread, there were too many players zerging and the scaling was all wonky because of it.

Uh huh.

On that note, I like pie. Do you like pie?

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Megaservers were more to reduce the issue of particular maps being empty while others are permanently on overflow. For instance, before Megaservers, you could go to Brisban Wildlands pretty much any time you pleased and see, at most, two other players. Now that map is more populated because they can condense multiple server’s worth.

In comparison, getting your Frozen Maw done practically required you being on the map a half hour before the event even started, as otherwise you were kicked off to an overflow where the event could have still been an hour away and possibly not even have enough people to complete it.

Erm, the examples in your posts proves shrinking populations.

As players left, some servers became less active. As a result players moved to more active servers.
As a result, the servers which were losing players had empty maps, and the servers gaining players had the overflows.

Megaservers were done precisely because of shrinking populations. Anet could not let people think players were leaving the game. Megaservers throwns everyone onto one server until it fills up.

Oh and I forgot to post megaservers helps reduce costs. With so many players leaving they cannot afford the upkeep of server specific worlds.
No longer having to upkeep server specific worlds, they just need the one main and a couple overflow. So they have gone from 25 servers to probably 5 at the most.

If that isnt shrinking population, I dont know what is!

All the evidence that this game is on it’s last legs is right in front of you. And unfortunately an expansion which will be more of the same as the current state of the game, will not help matters.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Erm, the examples in your posts proves shrinking populations.

As players left, some servers became less active. As a result players moved to more active servers.
As a result, the servers which were losing players had empty maps, and the servers gaining players had the overflows.

Megaservers were done precisely because of shrinking populations. Anet could not let people think players were leaving the game. Megaservers throwns everyone onto one server until it fills up.

Oh and I forgot to post megaservers helps reduce costs. With so many players leaving they cannot afford the upkeep of server specific worlds.
No longer having to upkeep server specific worlds, they just need the one main and a couple overflow. So they have gone from 25 servers to probably 5 at the most.

If that isnt shrinking population, I dont know what is!

All the evidence that this game is on it’s last legs is right in front of you. And unfortunately an expansion which will be more of the same as the current state of the game, will not help matters.

‘’All the evidence that this game is on it’s last legs is right in front of you’’
I lol’ed. I remember seeing people like you in WoW forums all the time. All they did was making a joke of themselves.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Not to mention the fact that every game, including WoW has had problems with underpopulated zones.

So I don’t think underpopulated zones means anything at all…unless you claim that WoW isn’t doing well.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Underpopulation of zones is not necessarily a game-wide population issue, it’s just the nature of every MMO.
Servers were never a heavy cost for Anet, confirmed multiple times by them and others even.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

Turns out the project they’ve been working on behind the scenes for the last year was a GIANT LS update with new races, classes, and starting areas and they were going to give it all to us just for logging in.

Then they read these threads and realized how dumb that would be so they put it in packaging, called it an expansion, and listed it for $49.99.

Jokes on us.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

Ok I am posting my opinion of why I think we should get an expansion pack.
I really feel like this game had so much potential with the core game and the lore but right now the game does not feel like it is moving forward at all. The living story is not progressing the games core, almost everything feels the same as when the game first launched except for all the cosmetic changes and new leveling experience. It seems like the living story is only good for introducing some new mission that is completed in about 30 minutes to an hour every two weeks.

There are a lot of new things that an expansion can deliver to the core game
-Player housing
-GvG
-New races
-New classes
-New weapons for each class
-New utility and elite skills
-New crafting disciplines
-Raids
-Massively expand WvW, new structures,siege weapons,etc.
-New continent
-Expand the personal story
-Guild halls
-Level cap increase
-Player ships and sailing, sea based zones
-New dungeons

There are so many things this game could be getting instead it feels like all it will get is the bland living story every 2 weeks. We have only gotten just one new healing skill and it’s been almost 3 years. GW1 had Factions with new class,continent,etc in just one year.
IMO the game had extreme potential and if things were just done differently this game would probably be over 20 million sales and killing WoW by now but the living story is just keeping gw2 in the same place and not moving forward. They should at least continue the LS the way they did it in November 2012 when they introduced a new island,fractal dungeons, new armor, and led players on a huge open world raid but I really think the game should at least get one paid expansion throughout its lifetime.
I think an expansion may be the only way I would spend money on this game again because I really have no desire to buy gems at all.

(edited by sonicwhip.9052)

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Just pointing this out there, but if Anet is not nearly finished with this expansion you feel is needed then even if they start today (and pull everyone in from the holiday vacations), it will not be out in a timely enough manner for your liking.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

There is already a thread about this very same subject. Why it is believed an expansion is needed, if one is in the making, and what it would look like if/when it does get released. Please post in that thread. Thanks.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/What-if-expansion-doesnt-come-in-2015/page/8#post4658089

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

sonicwhip.9052

Just pointing this out there, but if Anet is not nearly finished with this expansion you feel is needed then even if they start today (and pull everyone in from the holiday vacations), it will not be out in a timely enough manner for your liking.

Better late than never but the game was released in 2012, almost 2015 now.

sonicwhip.9052

There is already a thread about this very same subject. Why it is believed an expansion is needed, if one is in the making, and what it would look like if/when it does get released. Please post in that thread. Thanks.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/What-if-expansion-doesnt-come-in-2015/page/8#post4658089

I started my own thread to post an opinion of why an expansion is needed and why LS should be scrapped and not asking a what if question about 2015.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

So is just me or the last 2 months the world feels less populated? I remember after megaserver all capital cities being packed, but now there’s barely 10 people around in each one of them. Also wvw state t2 is depressing you have people the day after reset and then its just empty again. The game does need expansion for the sake of bringing back people too

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

pdavis.8031

I started my own thread to post an opinion of why an expansion is needed and not asking a what if question about 2015.

Yes, but that thread also contains much discussion as to why an expansion is needed, although the topic is a bit misleading. the whole premise of the thread is about why it is felt an expansion is needed, what it would look like, and whether or not it is in the works.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: airick.9850

airick.9850

I do like most things on your list.

I am absolutely apposed to any higher level gain. Personally I think they should just scrap the level system all together.

Definitely do not want to see new crafting. It’s a choir right now as it is. I don’t want to level something else to level 500. It would be hard to find new weapons (if there are any) that can’t fit into Artificer, Weaponsmithing, or Hunter.

New maps would be nice for WvW, but I definitely do not want to see “New Structures” or any sort of new siege.

The Living Story is the personal story expanded.

Other than that, I like every idea on there

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I started my own thread to post an opinion of why an expansion is needed and why LS should be scrapped and not asking a what if question about 2015.

People are pointing this thread to you because there’s been hundreds of threads on the topic, and that one is the latest active one.

A quick summary of all these threads: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/List-of-Common-Controversial-Forum-Topics/first#expansion

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

My thoughts.

-Player housing
This is not a thing that needs to exist in the game. It serves no purpose
-GvG
Yes, doesn’t need an expansion to happen
-New races
Yes please
-New classes
Maybe, I dunno. What classes actually need to exist that would be sufficiently unique to a current class with possibly updated skills? I’m not discounting it, it makes sense, just what?
Yes please
Maybe, I don’t know. Maybe an added skill group
What exactly do you want to craft that doesn’t fit into one of the crafts we already have?
-Raids
No thank you
Eh, I suppose if you’re adding a whole continent then why not, but what new things actually need to exist that don’t?
-New continent
This is minimum for a new expansion, so obviously
This stands to reason, but it really doesn’t inspire me
-Guild halls
Yes please
-Level cap increase
This doesn’t need to happen at all
There is nothing even remotely exciting, inspiring or interesting about this. I would not like to see this, and if done I’m afraid of how ANet would implement it.
-New dungeons
Yeah, alright

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Piratoz.8627

Piratoz.8627

I agree, GW2 really needs an expansion/huge LS release to bring back veteran players. The combination of the lack of content and poor/no communication from Anet makes it look like they have no plans for the future. I don’t quite understand people who valiantly defend Anet and their policies regarding communication and content release. People complain because they care about the game and are unsatisfied with the direction it is heading in. Anet’s communication policy of not speaking about any plans for the future is hilariously bad and continues to damage their relationship with the player base. People might be disappointed if a future piece of content doesn’t quite pan out but honestly Anet employees need to toughen up. And no matter how you look at it, the amount of content released in the past 2 years is extremely meager compared to other popular MMOs such as WoW and FF14. Both games by the spring of 2015 will have had an expansion pack released, namely WoW: WoD and FF14: Heavensward complete with new skills, new races, new lands, new dungeons/raids, new skins/weapons/armor etc. GW2 should have these things, but as of now we’ve gotten: 3 small zones, 1 dungeon path with 1 removed, a handful of skins, living world events you can no longer do, about 8-10 of living story instances, 5 grandmasters per class, and a some QoL changes. Sure GW2 does things differently, but do they do it better? As of now it appears that the answer is no for me personally.

(edited by Piratoz.8627)

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Wrong. GW2 does not need an expansion, and it is far from needing one critically. I’ve said it so many times already that I don’t even feel like typing out the full response. Just, no. You’re paranoid / unable to see the full picture, just no.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Another expansion thread?

Attachments:

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Another the game is dying soon unless you do what I want thread.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

You realize that all of those things can come via the Living Story system and that an expansion is just a different way of packaging that content?

There are benefits to having content come in via an expansion but it isn’t as though an expansion is the only way to get those things into the game.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Piratoz.8627

Wrong. GW2 does not need an expansion, and it is far from needing one critically. I’ve said it so many times already that I don’t even feel like typing out the full response. Just, no. You’re paranoid / unable to see the full picture, just no.

Yeah GW2 doesn’t need anything. GW2 could continue releasing content at a snails pace and slowly shrink and fade into obscurity as an example of how not to manage a MMO. And no one is able to see the big picture as Anet refuses to talk about future content releases, a communication policy that in my opinion is a farce, an example of how not to do things in an industry where communication with your player base is essential to success.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

“In critical need of expansion.”

For some odd reason it makes me think of Lil Jon screaming “Emergency!”… like so:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TctYzfs80Fg?start=69&end=83

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

pdavis.8031

Yeah GW2 doesn’t need anything, GW2 could continue releasing content at a snails pace and slowly shrink and fade into obscurity as an example of how not to manage a MMO. And no one is able to see the big picture as Anet refuses to talk about future content releases, a communication policy that in my opinion is a farce, an example of how not to do things in an industry where communication with your player base is essential to success.

And releasing a chunk of content every 2 years is a better way to go? So you get an expansion, then nothing for 2 years, then another, then nothing for 2 years, and so on. OR they could continue doing what they are doing and release a smaller chunk every 2 weeks (not counting breaks for holidays and such) for free, and still achieve the same amount of stuff that would be in a traditional expansion?

So during those off times, after an expansion, and everything is played through in less than a year, the game still loses players, as those who are bored stop playing, and the same dire predictions of the game fading into obscurity are even more realized.

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

Ok I am posting my opinion of why I think we should get an expansion pack.
I really feel like this game had so much potential with the core game and the lore but right now the game does not feel like it is moving forward at all. The living story is not progressing the games core, almost everything feels the same as when the game first launched except for all the cosmetic changes and new leveling experience. It seems like the living story is only good for introducing some new mission that is completed in about 30 minutes to an hour every two weeks.

-Player housing
-GvG
-New races
-New classes
-Raids
-New continent
-Guild halls
-Level cap increase
-New dungeons

There are so many things this game could be getting instead it feels like all it will get is the bland living story every 2 weeks. We have only gotten just one new healing skill and it’s been almost 3 years. GW1 had Factions with new class,continent,etc in just one year.
IMO the game had extreme potential and if things were just done differently this game would probably be over 20 million sales and killing WoW by now but the living story is just keeping gw2 in the same place and not moving forward. They should at least continue the LS the way they did it in November 2012 when they introduced a new island,fractal dungeons, new armor, and led players on a huge open world raid but I really think the game should at least get one paid expansion throughout its lifetime.
I think an expansion may be the only way I would spend money on this game again because I really have no desire to buy gems at all.

Also just want to say that here are some things that can be delivered via the Living Story:

-Player housing
-GvG
-New races
-New classes
-Raids
-New continent
-Guild halls
-Level cap increase
-New dungeons

recognize my command!”

sonicwhip.9052

You realize that all of those things can come via the Living Story system and that an expansion is just a different way of packaging that content?

There are benefits to having content come in via an expansion but it isn’t as though an expansion is the only way to get those things into the game.

Then why hasn’t the living story delivered these things yet? If the LS story was capable of expanding the game like this it would have happened already but so far it has given us none of these things. Maybe because it is not capable of giving us anything besides a new mission to be completed in under an hour?
You can’t expand an mmo with constant 2 week updates. It should be more about quality than quantity. The games revenue has been shrinking with every quarterly report the LS is just bland,boring and causing a lot of people to lose interest.

(edited by sonicwhip.9052)

pdavis.8031

Then why hasn’t the living story delivered these things yet? If the LS story was capable of expanding the game like this it would have happened already but so far it has given us none of these things. Maybe because it is not capable of giving us anything besides a new mission to be completed in under an hour?
You can’t expand an mmo with constant 2 week updates. It should be more about quality than quantity.

Because the LS has only been around for about a year, while a traditional expansion generally takes about 2 years. The LS is fully capable of releasing all that stuff, but instead of getting it in smaller chunks, you’d rather get nothing for a long time, then everything all at once. Which, going by other games who rely on expansion content, leads to a lower player base during the off times, then peaks at when the expansion comes. The LS bite sized chunk way at least keeps players playing on a more regular basis.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: jucca.8219

jucca.8219

If you think 2,5 years passing in GW2 a.k.a 1,5 season of living story + features like NPE & Trait Update = expansion, then think about it for few minutes if there’s been anything done to add more for example core stuff to game like dungeons, sPvP maps, GvG, Guild interaction like a guild hall.

That stuff that isn’t played once to thrice through then moving on…Living Story is adding story to the game but what else does it add that keeps players involved with this game?

Guild missions for example were very good update as were Fractals. Those have replayability like no other even that people are fed up doing Swamp fractal they still do because of the Loot factor behind finishing fractals.

Longevity and replayability is the way of winner MMO.

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

There is absolutely nothing in your list that requires an expansion. Almost everything can be delivered through the living story, and what can’t can be delivered in the feature packs. There is also no guarantee that if there were an expansion that you’d get all, or even most, of the items on the list.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Because the LS has only been around for about a year, while a traditional expansion generally takes about 2 years. The LS is fully capable of releasing all that stuff, but instead of getting it in smaller chunks, you’d rather get nothing for a long time, then everything all at once. Which, going by other games who rely on expansion content, leads to a lower player base during the off times, then peaks at when the expansion comes. The LS bite sized chunk way at least keeps players playing on a more regular basis.

FFXIV:ARR does both. It is getting its first expansion before GW2, and we’re talking about a game which was released long after GW2, and it gets monthly(?) patches with plenty of new story missions/ classes/ dungeons, etc.

Chances are, they are currently working on expansion-like content. Their communication policy just happens to be terrible, so we’re all left in the dark, much like what happens with games on minimal support.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

All that your asking for not realty expansion only content its just content that your asking for and could be put out by the LS expansion system. Why would update content with a 6 month in-between be better then a 2 week in-between? If any thing if your on a 2 week Expansion system you can changes things much faster then say a 6 month.

FFXIV:ARR does both. It is getting its first expansion before GW2, and we’re talking about a game which was released long after GW2, and it gets monthly(?) patches with plenty of new story missions/ classes/ dungeons, etc.

Chances are, they are currently working on expansion-like content. Their communication policy just happens to be terrible, so we’re all left in the dark, much like what happens with games on minimal support.

FF14 is mostly a pve game its a lot easier to add things to that type of game then say something like GW2. If ff14 had a open pvp map (gw2 wvw) and a very competitive map (gw2 spvp) you would see major times between updates.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

FFXIV:ARR does both. It is getting its first expansion before GW2, and we’re talking about a game which was released long after GW2, and it gets monthly(?) patches with plenty new story missions/ classes/ dungeons, etc.

But… It has a subscription fee.
(This was bound to be put out there eventually.)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Amroth.2170

Amroth.2170

FFXIV:ARR does both. It is getting its first expansion before GW2, and we’re talking about a game which was released long after GW2, and it gets monthly(?) patches with plenty new story missions/ classes/ dungeons, etc.

Which favors long term players who have invested something tangible, besides their time, into the game.

I know people aren’t going to want to hear it, but GW2’s income is mainly generated off of new players at the gem store. Content for veteran players is less important for them because veteran players have by and large spent most of the money they would have spent on the game already. That’s why we’re seeing updates aimed at holding newbies in that gem-buying phase of the experience to maximize returns. ANet wants to make money, first and foremost, and they have to do that via the gem store, so their actions are going to be based off of that premise.

This is why I’m skeptical we’ll ever see a real expansion in the traditional sense. Living Story does release more content for us, but in tiny amounts at a time over a long period. Summing up everything put out by LS so far doesn’t even equal a fraction you’d expect from a traditional expansion. But that might be the level of commitment they feel is adequate to veteran players.

(edited by Amroth.2170)

Piratoz.8627

Which favors long term players who have invested something tangible, besides their time, into the game.

I know people aren’t going to want to hear it, but GW2’s income is mainly generated off of new players at the gem store. Content for veteran players is less important for them because veteran players have by and large spent most of the money they would have spent on the game already. That’s why we’re seeing updates aimed at holding newbies in that gem-buying phase of the experience to maximize returns.

As much as I want to deny it, I get the feeling that this is mostly true. But this kind of philosophy seems so shortsighted. Why would they do this if they want to keep GW2 healthy? Why look only toward short term profits and pure numbers? What happened to the philosophy of “we make money to make more games”?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Raids are already confirmed to be coming, so might want to look for a new game if that is the case.

What we needed was raids 6 months ago, not a year from now. There won’t be enough players in the game a year from now to actually play raids.

Posted by: Amroth.2170

Amroth.2170

I know people aren’t going to want to hear it, but GW2’s income is mainly generated off of new players at the gem store. Content for veteran players is less important for them because veteran players have by and large spent most of the money they would have spent on the game already. That’s why we’re seeing updates aimed at holding newbies in that gem-buying phase of the experience to maximize returns.

As much as I want to deny it, I get the feeling that this is mostly true. But this kind of philosophy seems so shortsighted. Why would they do this if they want to keep GW2 healthy? Why look only toward short term profits and pure numbers? What happened to the philosophy of “we make money to make more games”?

GW2 is still one of NCSOFT’s better performers, even though its less profitable than it was y-o-y. It’s just the nature of the money making system they implemented. I don’t think they anticipated what demographic of players was going to be spending the most on gems. Once they noticed this, it was only a matter of time before management started targeting gameplay updates around maximizing returns from that segment of the player base. If they were making most of their money off of long-term players then maybe we’d see things unfolding differently, but that’s not the case. Their target player is the one who plays to 80, spending money on the way. Anything after is just gravy.

(edited by Amroth.2170)

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

If they put raids in here, I’m going back to WoW.

Might as well go where the raiding isn’t about guaranteed to be utter catastrophe.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Not to derail the topic, but, there are raids in GW2. They are called zergs though. What some of you want is instanced raiding.

Back to the topic, i don’t think GW2 needs a traditional expansion, but it what it really needs is some of those things on that list in the original post.

The problem is, there is no hype, or any upcoming content to generate excitement, and that’s why it’s hard to get excited for GW2. All we have to look forward to is living story.

Beldin.5498

Not to derail the topic, but, there are raids in GW2. They are called zergs though. What some of you want is instanced raiding.

I have no problem with zergs .. just with instanced raids where a small percentage
of the playerbase constantly wants to be treated much better than the big majority
of the players … only because they raid.

Even if some player say they don’t want better stuff .. i had again the feeling in that
CDI thread that maybe every second post was about “exclusive rewards”.

So if we get maybe 6 new armorsets per year .. and 3 of them are “exclusive” for 5% of the playerbase .. that means 95% of the players get only 3 new sets instead 6.

And even if the 1% of the players that post in the forums think that is a good idea
i have my doubts that the other 99% also think so.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

I conclude from this thread that Living Story does not give enough content.

the following text is just my suggestion.

For example, after completing certain part of LS (that would be separate from the LS chain, so that players would not feel forced to do LS) new map would be revealed. Not a temporary map. A permament one. Temporary maps keep more people complaining. A serious map, not some do this quest and run off.
More difficult quests.
A difficult map. BIG one.

edit: may i add that some quests would actually link worldwide, so you would have to travel to complete this long quests. separate from LS. im actually irked that i have to enter LS instances. instances dont always work out. especially when it has alot of stuff inside, your in midway and boom, d/c. guess how i feel after that.
long non-LS quests that are long. and that new map, not to forget.

(edited by Pockethole.5031)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The game needs new meaningful content, but that content doesn’t need to take the form of an expansion. If they released 2 new WvW maps and 5 new PvP maps this year as part of a living world updates for example the game competitive mode would survive. If they don’t do new WvW maps only Tier 1 will survive and in 6 months even that tier will be bored to death of fighting the same servers

Same with dungeons, the living story should be story modes for new dungeons, right now it is given way too much importance over real content; having to listen to hundreds of chat bubbles about a story does not equal new dungeons and WvW map in terms of playability.

Anyway if they listened to the players in the first place they would have over twice the current amount of players online.

Beldin.5498

Personally for me LS1 gave me enough content .. and i never had problems with its
temporary kind because when it ended i had mostly also played it enough and so
it was no real loss for me.

In the end i spent maybe 5-10 x more hours in LS1 than in LS2.

Big problem with LS2 were however also that we got more breaks than content
so in the end we had 7 new LS Updates after the end of LS1 .. and that was more
or less one update every 5-6 weeks instead of every 2 weeks.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

Personally for me LS1 gave me enough content .. and i never had problems with its
temporary kind because when it ended i had mostly also played it enough and so
it was no real loss for me.

In the end i spent maybe 5-10 x more hours in LS1 than in LS2.

Big problem with LS2 were however also that we got more breaks than content
so in the end we had 7 new LS Updates after the end of LS1 .. and that was more
or less one update every 5-6 weeks instead of every 2 weeks.

if expansions are suggested already, in any case LS is not giving enough content now. that means whatever the guys and ladies are doing who are making this game should change something for the better. or simply get more sleep and less stress.
also personally i would advice for the staff… not as a player but as someone who had imagination as kid – and i wouldnt know that if other people didnt tell me – just, look, when i started doing what every gender does alone or not alone sometime in my teens (waits, im still a teen), i came up with FAR less ideas. so take a break from… just that and anything else related to it, maybe the content starts popping from your ears? this is my personal discovery.

also i’d like to add that few quests should be worldwide, difficult and challenging. if someone wants it easy, they can drop few gems. that would make a game.

(edited by Pockethole.5031)

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Another “I think I know what the game needs, although players are given no information whatsoever about how well the game is actually doing” thread!

Just keep in mind that all an expansion is, is a big patch. Why would you want even less frequent content updates for the only purpose of getting it in a bulk at a later time?

It would be great to get a lot of things in Guild Wars 2, but an expansion certainly is not it. It doesn’t even mean anything.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

1. Player housing
  2. GvG
  3. New races
  4. New classes
  5. New weapons for each class
  6. New utility and elite skills
  7. New crafting disciplines
  8. Raids
  9. Massively expand WvW, new structures,siege weapons,etc.
  10. New continent
  11. Expand the personal story
  12. Guild halls
  13. Level cap increase
  14. Player ships and sailing, sea based zones
  15. New dungeons
  1. No reason why this couldn’t come via Living Story or just a generic patch.
  2. They’re already talking about a CDI on GvG. Also does not need an expansion to implement.
  3. Could be easily delivered via Living Story. In fact, I’d expect them to have planned that from the start.
  4. Could be easily delivered via Living Story. In fact, I’d expect them to have planned that from the start.
  5. Could be easily delivered via Living Story. In fact, I’d expect them to have planned that from the start.
  6. We’ve already gotten healing skills in patches tied to the Living Story so I see no reason why there would be any need for an expansion to add skills.
  7. They’ve been adding crafting recipes and expanding crafting in general (Ascended crafting, revamping the crafting interface) without an expansion so far.
  8. They’ve done dungeons and revamped world bosses with ties to Living Story, no reason they couldn’t do this as well as it’s practically identical in terms of gameplay.
  9. They’ve already changed WvW plenty (adding WvW skills and traps, changing the maps) without needing an expansion.
  10. They’ve already added new areas via Living Story so there’s no need for an expansion to add areas.
  11. Living Story is an extension of Personal Story.
  12. How are guild halls different from player housing?
  13. They should never, ever, increase the level cap for any reason. Increasing the level cap would make all non-Legendary gear obsolete, which would cause a massive shift in the TP, not to mention kittening off everyone who’s spent time getting Ascended gear.
  14. I don’t think this is that kind of game.
  15. They’ve already tinkered with dungeons via Living Story, what makes you think they would need an expansion to do it?

From the looks of it, everything that you think they should put into an expansion they have already experimented with via Living Story or could easily do without an expansion. Expansions are a risk, because it would force all of the current players to re-consider whether they want to keep playing the game and it makes the bar for new players even higher. It’s not exactly news that the bar of entry to a game like World of Warcraft, with their heptillion expansions, is very high due to the costs and hassle of getting them all. And I have to say that one of the best things about GW2 is that you play it whenever you want to. There’s no gear treadmill making your stuff obsolete every 6 months and there’s no monthly subscription.

What an expansion does that Living Story cannot do, is hype the product outside of the current playerbase. Living Story is perfectly capable of delivering everything that an expansion can give, but it doesn’t cost anything for the players except time.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Although I agree with much of what the author of that article had to say about raids I do find it funny that so much of what he lauded GW2 for has been abandoned or de-emphasized by Anet.

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

1. Player housing
  2. GvG
  3. New races
  4. New classes
  5. New weapons for each class
  6. New utility and elite skills
  7. New crafting disciplines
  8. Raids
  9. Massively expand WvW, new structures,siege weapons,etc.
  10. New continent
  11. Expand the personal story
  12. Guild halls
  13. Level cap increase
  14. Player ships and sailing, sea based zones
  15. New dungeons
  1. No reason why this couldn’t come via Living Story or just a generic patch.
  2. They’re already talking about a CDI on GvG. Also does not need an expansion to implement.
  3. Could be easily delivered via Living Story. In fact, I’d expect them to have planned that from the start.
  4. Could be easily delivered via Living Story. In fact, I’d expect them to have planned that from the start.
  5. Could be easily delivered via Living Story. In fact, I’d expect them to have planned that from the start.
  6. We’ve already gotten healing skills in patches tied to the Living Story so I see no reason why there would be any need for an expansion to add skills.
  7. They’ve been adding crafting recipes and expanding crafting in general (Ascended crafting, revamping the crafting interface) without an expansion so far.
  8. They’ve done dungeons and revamped world bosses with ties to Living Story, no reason they couldn’t do this as well as it’s practically identical in terms of gameplay.
  9. They’ve already changed WvW plenty (adding WvW skills and traps, changing the maps) without needing an expansion.
  10. They’ve already added new areas via Living Story so there’s no need for an expansion to add areas.
  11. Living Story is an extension of Personal Story.
  12. How are guild halls different from player housing?
  13. They should never, ever, increase the level cap for any reason. Increasing the level cap would make all non-Legendary gear obsolete, which would cause a massive shift in the TP, not to mention kittening off everyone who’s spent time getting Ascended gear.
  14. I don’t think this is that kind of game.
  15. They’ve already tinkered with dungeons via Living Story, what makes you think they would need an expansion to do it?

From the looks of it, everything that you think they should put into an expansion they have already experimented with via Living Story or could easily do without an expansion. Expansions are a risk, because it would force all of the current players to re-consider whether they want to keep playing the game and it makes the bar for new players even higher. It’s not exactly news that the bar of entry to a game like World of Warcraft, with their heptillion expansions, is very high due to the costs and hassle of getting them all. And I have to say that one of the best things about GW2 is that you play it whenever you want to. There’s no gear treadmill making your stuff obsolete every 6 months and there’s no monthly subscription.

What an expansion does that Living Story cannot do, is hype the product outside of the current playerbase. Living Story is perfectly capable of delivering everything that an expansion can give, but it doesn’t cost anything for the players except time.

If they are so capable of releasing all of this content via LS then why don’t they? In my opinion living story has been nothing but throw away trash, bite sized pieces of busy work to shut up the players that are into story.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]