Feedback/Questions: MegaServer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

Most of the people I’ve talked to, including random players, friends and guildies, dislike the megaserver. There is no challenge in game any longer, since there are soooo many people on the maps. Bosses go down in seconds, rather than minutes. Easy way I suppose if 50 people are fighting a Champ Risen Wraith. LOL This game is easy anyway, for pretty much anyone. Now it’s like set on auto-attack and go knit a sweater. Friends/guildies are not placed on the same server, there is alot of party/taxi’ing to do guild events/missions. Gathering is horrendous since every MegaS is different. RP is difficult with trolls, even map chat is beyond annoying. I can’t even imagine what it’s like in EU worlds. I’d rather have overflow, any day of the week. And, it does not bother me if I’m the only one a given map, such as Snowden Drifts. At the least, Anet could exclude the racial cities from Megaserver status.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Most of the people I’ve talked to, including random players, friends and guildies, dislike the megaserver. There is no challenge in game any longer, since there are soooo many people on the maps. Bosses go down in seconds, rather than minutes. Easy way I suppose if 50 people are fighting a Champ Risen Wraith. LOL This game is easy anyway, for pretty much anyone. Now it’s like set on auto-attack and go knit a sweater. Friends/guildies are not placed on the same server, there is alot of party/taxi’ing to do guild events/missions. Gathering is horrendous since every MegaS is different. RP is difficult with trolls, even map chat is beyond annoying. I can’t even imagine what it’s like in EU worlds. I’d rather have overflow, any day of the week. And, it does not bother me if I’m the only one a given map, such as Snowden Drifts. At the least, Anet could exclude the racial cities from Megaserver status.

As I said, in another thread, the reason they went to the mega server is to prevent lag, also. Segmenting the system will introduce more lag and then y’all will be complaining all over again.

A.Net says they are observing and studying what is going on. Let’s just hope you don’t get what you wish for …

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If you want to read a more positive outlook on the Megaserver, check out the subreddit for GW2. People are rigorously downvoting all posts which dare to imply even the slightest that MS could use a tune-up.

Have you considered that’s because, overall, the Megaserver is popular? And maybe the forums are over-representing a very vocally angry minority?

I have considered that. Then i have considered the common response i get in the game to the MS (when people learn they are on one – most are completely unaware such a thing even exist) and discarded your thesis.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

If you want to read a more positive outlook on the Megaserver, check out the subreddit for GW2. People are rigorously downvoting all posts which dare to imply even the slightest that MS could use a tune-up.

Have you considered that’s because, overall, the Megaserver is popular? And maybe the forums are over-representing a very vocally angry minority?

I have considered that. Then i have considered the common response i get in the game to the MS (when people learn they are on one – most are completely unaware such a thing even exist) and discarded your thesis.

While you were busy being condescending, I asked right as Fire Ele was starting. http://i.imgur.com/5194qpB.png

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

As I said, in another thread, the reason they went to the mega server is to prevent lag, also. Segmenting the system will introduce more lag and then y’all will be complaining all over again.

A.Net says they are observing and studying what is going on. Let’s just hope you don’t get what you wish for …

And by making people suffer through bosses with 5-10 FPS, that’s helping lag how?

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: sterling.4238

sterling.4238

I see a few solutions to not being able to get into the same map as your group. The first is putting a soft cap on the population of a map. The only way to get in once the soft cap is reached is to “join” someone who is already there. That has already been suggested and I think it’s probably the simplest solution with the least amount of work for the developers but it’s still not perfect. In the case of world bosses, you will likely still hit the hard cap pretty quickly. But still, it works great for guild missions.

I think a better option is to allow entire guilds to switch maps together. Say you have a group of about 50 people from your guild trying to do the three headed wurm. You all WP in and find that you are spread across 5 different servers. Someone from the guild can activate a guild upgrade that would move all members of the guild that are currently in Bloodtide Coast into a different server that can accommodate all of them. When the the upgrade is activated, each member of the guild get’s a popup asking them if they’d like to join the guild in Bloodtide Coast. After 10 seconds or so, 45 people have selected yes (the remainder afk or something) and they are ported to a server that can accommodate 45 people. Those that were left behind can join on a player that is already there but they run the risk of the new server filling up.

This doesn’t put you in a private guild instance. It just puts you in an already running instance that has room for your group. If your group was large enough to fill an entire map then it would be a private instance allowing you to do things like attempt a world boss without randoms or get a fresh map where all the temples haven’t already been opened.

Another option for solving the guild missions issue is for the megaserver to just be smarter about reserving spots for your guild on certain maps when you have a guild mission active. If there are 70 people online in my guild when I activate a guild puzzle in Wayfarer Foothills chances are we are going to want to be put in a server that has room for at least 50 people. It can even be smart and not reserve space for guild members who are not the right level. Or determine the likely hood of joining the mission based on WvW/PvP status.

Anyway, I’m sure Anet will think of something. These were just a few ideas.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

Megaservers:

Concentrating all of GW2’s kittens into one map since April 15/2014.

Seriously Anet…..killing the game experience to save money on servers is a bad idea. Go back to individual world instances. This is lame as hell.

Posted by: Cerai.9741

Cerai.9741

Personally, there is more I enjoy about the mega servers than I hate. That said, many things need to be adjusted. The new world boss system is my least favorite addition as it breaks the world’s immersive nature. Having an event spawn with no resolution is a terrible solution to avoid having several world bosses up at the same time. While it IS neat to have them spawn at set intervals, it breaks all immersion to have the Scholar Brogun run up to find out whats bothering the grawl then disappear wordlessly after destroying the totem. If you want to make it so only a single world boss is up at a time and keep this system (something I find slightly ridiculous and unnecessary) you should adjust the pre events with dialog and redirected events. As of right now, doing almost any world boss spawning event feels broken and incomplete. Oh, what’s that Gamarian? You just wordlessly gave up on your quest to find the darkness in the swamp? At least say something like “Oh, I was mistaken, Whatever darkness dwells here is still dormant” Please Anet, take the effort to make events feel complete when they don’t spawn the boss.

Oh, and make it so the megaservers can read which WPs temples and whanot are ACTUALLY open on other maps. I understand that there are multiple maps open at any given time, but at least run the checks on the oldest existing map instances. Stupid to have to double WP for no reason.

(edited by Cerai.9741)

Posted by: lchan.2169

lchan.2169

Excuse my french…but ANET totally f**k this game up.

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

All the megaservers have done is to make it possible to fix dinner and kill Shatterer at the same time. I’ve never felt so alone in the game as I do now. Guild Missions last weekend were horrendous, parties/taxi’ing members to the map, some missing it – Meh! There is little challenge in PVE now, with the exception of Cursed Shore events that are a little more challenging.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Difficulty is a tough subject in the open world.

If you want to make things “challenging” you could go the Tequatl route, but that’s no so much about skill as it is discrimination between the elite and the casual.

Win an event and it’s too easy. Fail an event and extreme rage and hatred boils between players, servers, groups .etc

Personally I’d rather play a game that’s maybe a little “too easy” with people around, than to go at everything solo.

Now if they made some solo dungeons, I’d be all for that.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

now that almost every map ( i think every map) is now in the megaserver, do you think ANET will abolish guesting system ?

i mean, really, why would it need to be there anymore if guesting is now effectively meaningless…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Talissa Chan.7208

Talissa Chan.7208

Well, you probably don’t meet min requirements for the game or need to turn down your settings. What do you expect playing on hardware that is outdated.

My computer is perfectly fine. By your logic, about 30-40% of players need to stop playing this game because they have hardware similar to me.

What my computer can’t handle is 100+ people in a small spot.

It’s also why I STAYED AWAY FROM BIG SERVERS ON PURPOSE.

You know, so I could play the game smoothly.

But ArenaNET apparently assumes everyone that plays their game has a megacomputer (GET IT? HA!) and good internet connection.

Let me just go ahead and drop 1500+ on a new computer so ArenaNET can implement their kittenty ideas.

PS : Megaservers would still suck even if I had a beastly computer.

5 fps is not “fine”, it definitely can’t handle the game it seems. Not ANets fault at all. They have minimum requirements for a reason and they can’t tune their game for minority of people with outdated hardware.

cool story – tell me his exact specs. ohhhh, you’re trolling.
also a higher number of large parked norns in delicate jumping puzzles is not a good idea.
Try thinking before you speak.
also – why a reply from devs just on the german channel? shouldn’t it be a reply across all forums at the same time as a company release? or was the german dev jumping the gun and will get in trouble like the sab dev.

Posted by: Gwenryth.9450

Gwenryth.9450

also – why a reply from devs just on the german channel? shouldn’t it be a reply across all forums at the same time as a company release? or was the german dev jumping the gun and will get in trouble like the sab dev.

Ramon isn’t Dev, he’s German Community Manager
His post in few words for non German speakers (sorry for bad english, I’m no native speaker). Maybe later there will be an official english post.

He says A-Net is reading our feedback and they work on the Megaserver.

1. Chatfilter is only a temporary solution.
  2. They consider feedback from large guilds and Server organisations, they don’t want to make organisation of big events impossible, but dont have a solution at this time.
  3. They are looking what can be done for RP community, some changes in algorithm were done especially in towns, but isn’t finish yet.
  4. Megaserver system wasn’t made to save Server costs, it only redistributes serverloads.
  5. They’ll rework schedules for world bosses, especially Karka Queen, Tequatl and Worm, for getting a better time frame for EU.
  6. They are watching the max. number of people on one map and will make adjustments if necessary.
  7. Devs are working active to improve the Megaserver, and watch our feedback, so keep on posting, especially EU feedback because of the different languages problems. Keep on posting, we are listening.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

So the megaserver move was done in order to loosen up cloud loads and give more resources to some high-intensive maps? Huh. If that’s the case, then people should be seeing less skill lag in WvW.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

I just logged back on for five minutes, to see if the new megaservers were any more tolerable after a couple of days. Needless to say, I`m now waiting on final confirmation from Anet on whether or not I need to cut my losses, and uninstall the game. I honestly enjoyed the game before the “update”, but now, now I can`t be on for five minutes without gritting my teeth. I Honestly would revert to the game prior to this update, wardrobe system and all, if it meant I could ACTAULLY CHOOSE WHO I PLAY WITH. One way or another, this`ll be over for me when Anet finally decides to comment on it, either it`ll get fixed, or it`ll be just one more customer they`ll lose.

EDIT: typos

Yep. We’re all just waiting to see if they will revert this change or lose thousands of customers. The ball is in their park, and they’re being pretty kittening quiet.

I think they’ll lose less people than you think, because I think more people like the megaserver than is immediately apparent on these forums in particular. Plenty of people love these changes.

And many who don’t will get used to it.

There was a mass exodus from this game during the ascended gear, and though it hurt the game short term, it looks like the game has full recovered. This exodus won’t be nearly so large, and won’t hurt the game nearly as much.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

now that almost every map ( i think every map) is now in the megaserver, do you think ANET will abolish guesting system ?

i mean, really, why would it need to be there anymore if guesting is now effectively meaningless…

It’s not meaningless, it figures into the algorithm used to determine on which server to place you. People have tested it and it does just that. If you guest to Tarnished Coast, that would be your home server for the calculations.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

So let me tell you about my experience yesterday:

I was leveling a new character when someone said Behemoth pre’s are up.

I switched to an 80 only to find that he was halfway down because I was in another part of megaserver

After he was dead I switched back to the character I was on before- and when someone asked about Behe replied in map that he had just died.
Only to be called a troll and a liar because he was up— so in the space of 10 min I was on 3 different Megaserver shards or whatever..

Now think about this- basically all those people you see around you?
You are never likely to see them again because they are completely random.
This is not good- it makes other players nothoing more than pretty npc’s, you have no reason to engage with them because they are as fleeting as bubbles.
Megaserver completely destroys community.

oh- I forgot, for the first time since the patch I saw that one of my friends were on and at Maw- naturally I wanted to join him.
So I went to Maw- only there was no friend, 2 other people and no Maw.

That was when I just logged out.

MMO’s live and die by the cohesion of their communities- we have none atm.
It is currently more lonely playing GW2 than it is playing a single player game

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Karuna.1357

Karuna.1357

I was leveling a new character when someone said Behemoth pre’s are up.

I switched to an 80 only to find that he was halfway down because I was in another part of megaserver

After he was dead I switched back to the character I was on before- and when someone asked about Behe replied in map that he had just died.
Only to be called a troll and a liar because he was up— so in the space of 10 min I was on 3 different Megaserver shards or whatever..

Now think about this- basically all those people you see around you?
You are never likely to see them again because they are completely random.
This is not good- it makes other players nothoing more than pretty npc’s, you have no reason to engage with them because they are as fleeting as bubbles.
Megaserver completely destroys community.

oh- I forgot, for the first time since the patch I saw that one of my friends were on and at Maw- naturally I wanted to join him.
So I went to Maw- only there was no friend, 2 other people and no Maw.

That was when I just logged out.

MMO’s live and die by the cohesion of their communities- we have none atm.
It is currently more lonely playing GW2 than it is playing a single player game

This is an excellent example of how the whole megaserver thing actually works contrary to the stated goal. Thanks for the post.

Guild Leader/Commander, the Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Tarnished Coast
http://www.espguild.com

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

So the megaserver move was done in order to loosen up cloud loads and give more resources to some high-intensive maps? Huh. If that’s the case, then people should be seeing less skill lag in WvW.

It’s done to loosen up cloud loads, …to save money… not to give more resources to other parts of the game.

Posted by: qazqazqaz.2098

qazqazqaz.2098

People thinking megaservers were implemented to save money need to take off their tinfoil hats and stop being ridiculous.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

People thinking megaservers were implemented to save money need to take off their tinfoil hats and stop being ridiculous.

Well, if they were implemented to help with lag, as per anet claims, then they achieved exactly opposite results.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vio.2506

Vio.2506

Well, if they were implemented to help with lag, as per anet claims, then they achieved exactly opposite results.

Agreed, marked increase in skill lag for me.

More importantly there’s just too many bloody people around now killing and finishing everything, with lots less ‘active’ events hanging around. It also seems that the scaling isn’t working properly making kills far less challenging/fun.

Posted by: Moss.5371

Moss.5371

My feedback on Megaserver: I barely do any open world content since the patch. I don’t like megazergs, I don’t like how aggressive map chat is, I don’t like being tied to a schedule, I don’t like being charged twice to WP, I’m experiencing more and more lag, …
So I got my traits unlocked and I’ve avoided events ever since and sticked to dungeons. Megaserver has ruined open world for me, I just don’t feel like going out there. My constructive feedback: since Anet doens’t seem to like the gw1 districts idea and insists in tying us to this -in my opinion- stupid server pride model, please go back to the old server communities and merge low populated ones.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I wrote this up for our community, but i think it touches on where i stand on this whole debacle.

http://northernshiverpeaks.org/index.php?/page/Articles%20and%20News/articles.html/_/articles/general-news/megaserver-woes-r39

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: EKAN.4051

EKAN.4051

I realy dont like the new megaserver, hope you scrap it. Thats my feedback.

“Death is just another path”

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

John and several classes from his school went on a beach trip.

After arriving, he and some other children decided to swim out into the sea.

When far enough from the shore, John asked: – Hey, everyone here can swim, right?
- Yeah!
- Sure!
- Of course!
John: – Oh, cool! Everyone I know can swim!

Those on the shore who couldn’t or didn’t like to never heard him.

So much for you, people who’re polling players who attended because they liked it in the first place.

I personally want megaservers heavily reworked because I want them to:

• provide enough people but not overwhelmingly a lot of people when you can’t even see the boss under players and particles and have lag spikes and severe FPS drops even on high-end PCs when otherwise you can play on max settings and enjoy the graphics (may be achieved by softcapping map to ~50 players and having everyone else in only through guild/party sorting);
  • have bosses (once player amount is lowered) which remain fun and challenge with a chance of fail in case of lack of effort from players, instead of constantly being zerged in seconds disregarding any mechanics and boss skills (Fire Ele, Taidha, Ulgoth), or simply taking very long (new Behe) or permanently defended (Orr) without a chance to perform the event itself – ANet can easily make a CDI for world boss mechanics which could work even for larger groups of players;
  • provide a living changing world experience and let me do any boss I want and not only those on the timers – I’m already sick of the Taidha gate event and I’ve done it just a couple of times (can be partially achieved with a] spawning several bosses instead of a single one and b] letting us trigger boss events outside of timers, and not only guild ones and c] introducing more non-syncronised bosses of world-boss class and reward level), as well as giving me ways of knowing what’s happening where (in-game event informer);
  • remove current random contested-uncontested waypoint behaviour (probably a byproduct of the underlying server mechanic) and rework the contested waypoint mechanic – the best of which is having all contested waypoints portable but highly defended by mobs to make players who chose to use them fight for their lives;
  • let me play with people who speak my language (English even though it’s not my first language) and understand English which otherwise leads to insults and miscommunication;
  • let people from the same parties and guilds and servers play together;
  • let me and large guilds perform events which require almost a whole map of suboptimal players to find that empty map and fill it without being griefed by random players playing how they want and speaking whatever language they speak.

That’s only about megaservers, not about traits, town clothes etc.

EDIT: I would also prefer to see the main city maps off the megaserver system. I liked The Grove calm, it felt like “my” city and “my” server that way, instead of the overcrowded megalopolis those are now – and this would also help relief the WvW and RP communities’ problems.

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Posted by: Rapier.3675

Rapier.3675

rofl 1 t6 material per day cos of xxx farmers… this will take few years to craft legendary weapons. and prices for materials are getting bigger and bigger every day. GG!

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

His post in few words for non German speakers (sorry for bad english, I’m no native speaker). Maybe later there will be an official english post.

2. They consider feedback from large guilds and Server organisations, they don’t want to make organisation of big events impossible, but dont have a solution at this time.
  3. They are looking what can be done for RP community, some changes in algorithm were done especially in towns, but isn’t finish yet.
  4. Megaserver system wasn’t made to save Server costs, it only redistributes serverloads.
  5. They’ll rework schedules for world bosses, especially Karka Queen, Tequatl and Worm, for getting a better time frame for EU.
  6. They are watching the max. number of people on one map and will make adjustments if necessary.
  7. Devs are working active to improve the Megaserver, and watch our feedback, so keep on posting, especially EU feedback because of the different languages problems. Keep on posting, we are listening.

It’s really, really great to read this and I truly hope we see fixes for these problems sooner rather than later, however I have to wonder why any company (MMO or otherwise) would knowingly introduce and roll out “broken” solutions to their servers. These problems were highlighted before the patch when they (and other problems introduced by the patch) should have been fixed before these changes hit the live servers. Even if (especially if) that means either delaying the entire patch or delaying certain features from it.

Other people have called for a public test realm and I really think this shows the benefits one could bring; all these problems that were apparently missed by ArenaNet would have been caught and highlighted before the changes went live. Also the simple knowledge that features I really wanted were on the test server in other games was enough for me. Sure it’d be a while before they arrive but now at least know they’re coming!

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

I think they’ll lose less people than you think, because I think more people like the megaserver than is immediately apparent on these forums in particular. Plenty of people love these changes.

There was a mass exodus from this game during the ascended gear, and though it hurt the game short term, it looks like the game has full recovered. This exodus won’t be nearly so large, and won’t hurt the game nearly as much.

I am in the EU server regain, and far more people hate these changes than like them.

And no, the many I know who do not like this will sooner leave the game, rather than put up with this nonsense.

GW2 had run it’s course for many players I know even before this patch. For some it was only the notion of some sense of community, or meeting on TS to do events like Teq and Wurm that was keeping them in the game.

Communities have been destroyed and the mufti-server guild alliances formed to the difficult open world bosses are struggling with a stupid time schedule and the pains of getting guildies on the same map to do these events. This represents over 10k players across the EU/NA server regions. Add in the 10K RP’ers, and you have over 20k kittened off players, who could all leave.

Also, now there are other games out or soon to be released for players to move to, This was not the case during the ascended introduction fiasco. In fact, I predict the exodus from the game over megaserver will be far larger than the one over ascended.

Look PvE was dead on many servers, thus the reason Anet made these changes, You really the game can afford to loose so many players at this point in time??

By all means, carry on in your state of denial and rosy world of GW2 bliss.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

<snip>

Now, take your experience in trying to join your friend at Maw and consider 120+ players all trying to do the same thing.

This is what the multi-server guild alliances go through, at least twice per day, trying to do Tequatl and 3-Headed Wurm.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Morrigan.2809

I just logged back on for five minutes, to see if the new megaservers were any more tolerable after a couple of days. Needless to say, I`m now waiting on final confirmation from Anet on whether or not I need to cut my losses, and uninstall the game. I honestly enjoyed the game before the “update”, but now, now I can`t be on for five minutes without gritting my teeth. I Honestly would revert to the game prior to this update, wardrobe system and all, if it meant I could ACTAULLY CHOOSE WHO I PLAY WITH. One way or another, this`ll be over for me when Anet finally decides to comment on it, either it`ll get fixed, or it`ll be just one more customer they`ll lose.

EDIT: typos

Yep. We’re all just waiting to see if they will revert this change or lose thousands of customers. The ball is in their park, and they’re being pretty kittening quiet.

EU here and I am not aware of anyone liking the megasever.

During the ascended mess I still stayed because I could continue playing the game and ignore it.
if you think people will simply get over it or get used to the total bugger- up the Megaserver has made of the game – you are sadly mistaken.

I have loved this game- I have played it for 2 years now- almost everyday- I have been really happy.
I have recommended the game to all my friends and I spent way more than I should have in the shop- because I wanted to
yet
this update took all that I loved and valued away from me- why on earth would I continue playing?

I am not a masochist- I play games for fun.
A company that can take everything I value from a game in one update- does not deserve my time or respect because they clearly have none for me

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Morrigan.2809

<snip>

Now, take your experience in trying to join your friend at Maw and consider 120+ players all trying to do the same thing.

This is what the multi-server guild alliances go through, at least twice per day, trying to do Tequatl and 3-Headed Wurm.

I know- and the Guild Alliances have my deepest sympathies because it kills the game for them

Gunnar’s Hold

munkiman.3068

Thanks for this. My response isn’t to you, but those points you translated.

#The language problem has no solution under this merge. You’ll still have people that use a french client, that speak english, wanting to play with english speaking players and so on. Go back to the original system.
#You’ve literally broken all sense of a server community. You don’t have a solution since there isn’t one, apart from going back to the old system.
#I don’t remotely pretend to know how you’ve coded the game, but i can guarantee there is no magic algorithm that is going to solve the major issues with this system.
#Yet the lag is even worse than before. What’s the real reason for this change?
#Making it so world bosses don’t overlap might have been ok, but combined with this megaserver nonsense, you’ve created a mass of players pummeling these bosses.
#No need, go back to the old system.
#By making this move, you’ve just created a pile of work for yourself and arguable made the game worse for it. From a players perspective, the only thing this “solves” is a solo players experience of being able to complete events they can’t solo. That and the more people on the map. Most of your player base, i would say, were fine with the original system.

My personal take is, why not just have this megaserver fill only barren maps dynamically instead of this flat out toss everyone into a map fiasco?

Posted by: Faeyas.2816

Faeyas.2816

I discovered three significant opinions about this mega server business….one: a fair number of players liked it out were willing to go with it before all of the maps changed….two: most of those advocates hated or started to oppose it after we lost all of the maps… three: the stronger the community and the more important that community is to a player or community, the more unhappy they are with the megaservers in general.

Therefore I think that ultimately anet would benefit from studying nations and what makes a nation a nation, and how that relates to our server communities. I believe understanding this will help you see how many of these complaints about the mega servers are really all the same.

Basically what you did was create an artificial diaspora fot all of your players to muddle and suffer through. This isn’t because mega servers are flawed…no….it is because you did it wrong.

We have lost the ability to find, communicate with, and interact with general people from our servers outside of wvw. It is like you took a pool and dumped all of our coloured buckets into it. Yet somehow you expect us to maintain our colour because we were dumped in the same area.

Not that your intentions were bad, but you have left our servers with no identity, and in some cases a cultural crisis. You need to fix this or even wvw will suffer in the long term.

We build community and identity a and relationships in pve because we have time to. Wvw is solely for battle. We train in pve, we organize in pve, we recruit in pve for wvw. We create culture, events, and community in pve. We can’t do that now because we don’t know if our server is in our map, or if our enemy servers are in our map. We can’t communicate with only our server, we have no means of organizing server wide events because all it takes is a wp change and anyone can suddenly be serverless.

This does not mean abandon the idea entirely…just give us a point of reference….a Home base…maybe the cities don’t have to be mega…no events or battles happen in them outside of instances anyway…further cities have historically been where events and organization occurs for all the servers.

If cities were left server exclusive, servers could then maintain their ability to organize, communicate, and be communities with unique identities as each server defines itself, While still creating fuller maps out in the world.

Also…other note…. you should probably fix the bosses…wping should not change boss status because you randomly changed meta maps….that’s just broken.

Posted by: Faeyas.2816

Faeyas.2816

Hail and hark!

I am Snow, a warrior from the Mists, who has come bearing grave news pertaining to the stability of the world itself!

There is trouble in the mists, and the different shards of reality are colliding! I have travelled the breadth of the lands, and it is clear. The mist invaders, those evil mockeries of ourselves, are everywhere and claiming everything as their own! These fiends that hesitated no moment to slit the throats of good men now take the guise of warriors that seek justice in the world. But be not fooled, fellow warriors, for these demons will still murder yourself eagerly if not for what meager security our numbers and presence of the dragon minions provides!

However, there remains hope! We must use the very nature of this strange occurrence against it! Unite under one banner for but a brief moment, demons and men alike, to cast the shards apart, and restore the uniqueness of each shard of reality, so that every man knows man and every beast knows beast!
If we do not do this, the Mist War itself will spread to the world, not in its form of glorious combat, but in the form of treacherous poisons and foul play. If this were to be allowed to happen, I see no end to the madness and misery. If you, brave warrior, thought that the controlled war was terrifying, then wait until the day comes when the war spreads to every inch of the land!

We must cast this evil back into the pit from whence it came. And we must do this, together!

Do this unthinkable deed once, and we can return to blissfully murdering each other without it having morale repercussions, and no longer need fear that our fellows in arms are actually snakes from another realm!

Huzzah!

Posted by: Porterhouse.6304

Porterhouse.6304

With the current megaserver situation, how would you be able to tell?

Even if half the GW2 population were to up and leave, they just crammed multiple servers into one single zone. It’s going to look more populated than it actually is.

600 people across 6 servers is a higher player base than 300 people packed into 1 server.

Anyone who was around after the final Scarlet event can tell you that the population took a nose dive. After this last fiasco with the town clothes and the megaserver I can only imagine it is even worse.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Anyone who was around after the final Scarlet event can tell you that the population took a nose dive. After this last fiasco with the town clothes and the megaserver I can only imagine it is even worse.

Just like after Update [insert any name here]?
For some reason everyone seems to pack up and leave after every single patch. And yet the game is still full of people.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

timmyf.1490

For some reason everyone seems to pack up and leave after every single patch. And yet the game is still full of people.

It’s amazing that people are still here since they’ve nerfed ecto salvage rates for 15 patches in a row!

Porterhouse.6304

I think the fact that they had to implement megaservers to fill all the empty space has already proved you wrong,

timmyf.1490

They can afford to have staff on 24-hour thread editing duty, but cannot spare one comment about the state of the game?

I’m sure you recognize that these are different people.

Community Managers are responsible for enforcing the Forum Code of Conduct. They are doing this by deleting threads and posts where appropriate, combining threads where appropriate, and giving warnings where appropriate.

If you don’t like this, there’s not much you can do, since even commenting on the Code of Conduct is against the Code of Conduct. You can email forums@arena.net, but they’ve practically flat-out said they’re not changing it.

So the CMs are doing their job, even if you don’t like it.

What you want is a “comment about the state of the game.” No Community Manager worth their weekly paycheck is going to fall into that trap. They’ll deliver a message if asked to, but they certainly aren’t going to start voicing their opinion in the middle of a flame war. (We saw a brief message from the German CM, by the way, but I guess you found that insufficient?)

Even individual developers would be crazy to wander into this.

Realistically, what this community needs is for Colin to come out, take his lumps, and explain to people what the long-term goals of the game are. Again. Because people keep forgetting.

(As I understand it…) The goal is to create a game where large numbers of players come together in the open world to take down monsters. Megaserver is a necessary piece of that “large number of players…in the open world” part.

There are (obviously) issues with Megaserver. They are (obviously, I thought) in the process of fixing those issues. What more needs to be said?

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Dat transparent communication…

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I think the fact that they had to implement megaservers to fill all the empty space has already proved you wrong,

Ah yes, of course.

I am not that good at math, but I am rather sure that 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 is still 0, no matter how many of them you add together.
And wouldn’t all those statements about “almost everyone packing up” after every single update basically mean that there is about 0 people on each server?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: NelvonJ.7516

NelvonJ.7516

sorry for my english.
the only thing i like about ms is it makes the world feel alive.

my MS problem.

1. It’s a lag feast on world bosses. If i get dc and log back in, i get only the daily bonus chests and not the ground chests because i cant get back into my previous megaserver.
2. 50 people on melandru 2nd beacon is not funny. i cant tag.
3. the boss schedule is bad because it feels like work/school.
4. was doing 10 man guild bounty, half of my guild is in other MS.(not realy big deal with join option, but it should not be a problem in the 1st place)
5. i hate camping in orr waiting for some event to happen.

my/lots of other people suggestion if any anet people is reading
1. make it like gw1 district where i can join any MS. eg. MS1,MS2,MS3 etc. this could end the server identity/ RP community/overcrowding problem and i can still loot my ground chest if dc. a lot of people will be happy.
2. make multiple boss spawn at the same time so i can choose which boss i want to do. the timing can be adjusted.
3. make some sort of in game event tracker.

regards

Porterhouse.6304

What you want is a “comment about the state of the game.” No Community Manager worth their weekly paycheck is going to fall into that trap. They’ll deliver a message if asked to, but they certainly aren’t going to start voicing their opinion in the middle of a flame war. (We saw a brief message from the German CM, by the way, but I guess you found that insufficient?)

Realistically, what this community needs is for Colin to come out, take his lumps, and explain to people what the long-term goals of the game are. Again. Because people keep forgetting.

So you’re essentially telling us that this latest patch is so bad that no US community manager will touch it with a 10’ pole?

I don’t think this happens with a good patch.

timmyf.1490

So you’re essentially telling us that this latest patch is so bad that no US community manager will touch it with a 10’ pole?

The patch is fine. The community is not. Just my personal opinion.

I’m loving the patch so far.

munkiman.3068

The patch is fine. The community is not. Just my personal opinion.

I’m loving the patch so far.

I can tell you from just looking through this thread and reading map chat, you seem to be in the minority.

They’ve essentially removed the choice to play with and interact with the group of players you want to be in. All this to give people that “launch day feeling”. I’ve been playing this game since beta, i don’t want or need that launch day feeling. I have an established community, with plenty of people i don’t know as well. I’ve never been lacking in the department of meeting new people. These are very real concerns, not just for me, but for many.

Not to even mention how they just gave the finger to all the people who’ve developed event API interfaces with these new world boss schedules. How is kittening off a bunch of people that support your game, better for the game, in any sense?

Damage control at this point is something that should probably happen, sooner rather than later.

Posted by: qazqazqaz.2098

qazqazqaz.2098

There are (obviously) issues with Megaserver. They are (obviously, I thought) in the process of fixing those issues. What more needs to be said?

Very well said. People expect immediate changes to something that came out just a week ago, something that needs data and observing before going all crazy and reverting/changing everything. It’s a longterm plan, didn’t you guys read the blogs they published before the patch?

Personally, I think this all megaserver thing turned out really well, I expected them to roll it out on much slower pace. And there’s not that many issues with it, AND they are working on fixing those.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

(As I understand it…) The goal is to create a game where large numbers of players come together in the open world to take down monsters. Megaserver is a necessary piece of that “large number of players…in the open world” part.

Yes and by putting together large numbers of random players it makes it impossible for non-random players to play together. Guild Missions are a total mess if you are in a guild that has 30+ active players doing them, big bosses like Teq and Wurm are a mess too.

They tried to put as many people as possible together and for that objective the Megaserver did a great job. Now allow guilds to create their private overflows to solve the issues that the Megaservers caused.

timmyf.1490

Very well said. People expect immediate changes to something that came out just a week ago, something that needs data and observing before going all crazy and reverting/changing everything. It’s a longterm plan, didn’t you guys read the blogs they published before the patch?

Personally, I think this all megaserver thing turned out really well, I expected them to roll it out on much slower pace. And there’s not that many issues with it, AND they are working on fixing those.

That said, I was expecting a much slower roll-out and am dumbfounded as to why they decided to move so quickly. Many of the issues would have been discovered had they stuck with 4 or 5 zones for a week… and then we’d only have these problems in those 4-5 zones.

To the extent that ArenaNet made a major mistake, I’d say it was accelerating the rollout so quickly.