Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ozymandias.8263

Ozymandias.8263

I don’t really have anything new to add, so I’ll just state my support for mix/match townclothes.

(not displayed on the picture are pirate’s boots…)

Attachments:

Posted by: SoulCrystal.2186

SoulCrystal.2186

I also want to be able to mix and match parts – like using the Pirate Captain’s top and pants without the hat and boots. I never wear any of the helms that chop off hair. I wear my Devil’s Horns instead. I also do not wear the pirate boots because I prefer to wear the default human boots with the set. Consequently, with this new implementation, I will never wear the outfits I have purchased – two Pirate Captain outfits, one Blood Prince, and one Witch costume.

According to the knowledge base article, it states only items turned into tonics will be eligible for a gem refund. This seems pretty unfair given that what I purchased is being turned into something less functional and desirable for my needs.

(edited by SoulCrystal.2186)

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

the FAQ is out

There is no reason for this change to the town clothes, it unnecessarily restricts the use of both outfits and the clothes that will become tonics. You won’t have the option to mix & match, I have Devil horns, the pirate outfit and the witches broom equipped on my main I will no longer be able to do that.

Just make them all skins with no armor restrictions since the current town clothes can be used by everyone and are largely gem store only.

I seriously hope that FAQ was released when they released the blog post. If they released that FAQ just an hour or two ago, then it shows they are ignoring us completely and are going ahead with their plans without giving us any thought.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Liraz.8062

Liraz.8062

I seriously hope that FAQ was released when they released the blog post. If they released that FAQ just an hour or two ago, then it shows they are ignoring us completely and are going ahead with their plans without giving us any thought.

The FAQ is from yesterday. Don’t despair!

Firstwatch Irregular Company – RP, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

The FAQ on Town Clothes has been out since midday, maybe earlier, yesterday.

Posted by: Wote.3627

Wote.3627

the FAQ is out

There is no reason for this change to the town clothes, it unnecessarily restricts the use of both outfits and the clothes that will become tonics. You won’t have the option to mix & match, I have Devil horns, the pirate outfit and the witches broom equipped on my main I will no longer be able to do that.

Just make them all skins with no armor restrictions since the current town clothes can be used by everyone and are largely gem store only.

It’s been out since yesterday. Someone posted it back on, like, page 6 or so.

The Tyria Wildlife Fund: Having absolutely nothing to do with the Cyborg Moa Incident since 1325 AE.

… Yes, we know that it happened in 1326 AE. We had that little to do with it. We swear.

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

First I want to say that what I have written below is based off of my own experience and knowledge. Take it with a grain of salt!

I don’t think anyone here expects to “force” a refund. This is about customers getting enraged by a problem and making their rage known. This is in line with “go to customer support or their superiors.”

Otherwise, if you really think games should not eveolve because some want those old features, then you have to try checking Wiki too, you will find some informative pages about MMOs.

This has nothing to do with evolution of design. In truth, gw2 can evolve further with town clothes and it would result in less issues, not more.

I’m going to address bits and pieces of this below, but wanted to throw this block in here so people skimming get some context. Totally agree with town clothes being one fantastic way for the game to evolve.

I’m not sure here either. The best theory I’ve seen is Allaraina’s which boils down to “seemed like a good idea at the time….”

Just to clarify so that people don’t take it lightly (not that I think you are, but in case others do) in my experience company decisions are made based off of politics and the interpretation of current revenue data.

Now, we don’t know the numbers, but I wonder if perhaps the money Anet was making off of town clothes was dwarfed by money they made off of other aspects of the gem store. The wardrobe significantly increases the revenue they could potentially make off of gem store armor sets while their second decision (might) simplify the work they’d need to put into this other aspect of game play (town clothes). Town clothes certainly appear to have a devoted following but it might not be as large as other products.

So I’m guessing that changing something that DID take a lot of work to code, design, implement, etc was not a flip decision. Companies do NOT like wasting money. Maybe the guess is that they can generate more revenue by changing over where they focus their finite resources.

This, as we can see, solves some problems but generates ones as well:
1. Despite it being a potentially smaller percent of customers who make gem store purchases, there is an existing pool of who bought a product that are having that specific product changed on them. MMOs DO change over time as employees come and go, and as the player base evolves. But this is very specific and not attached to the rest of the game in the same way that say balancing professions would be, or adding another race.

2. As we can see from the comments, changing a product you sell to someone in a manner that goes against the philosophy or purpose of the purchase creates uncertainty. This type of uncertainty is BAD for a for-profit company because consumers are less likely to make a purchase.

The last thing to remember is that both the United States and much of Europe are still living in a recession. Thirty or forty years ago (if mmos existed) people might be slightly less angry over losing money. However, $10 is a larger percentage of many people’s income than it was forty years ago (flattening wages, increased cost of living and education, greater inequality between the middle class and super wealthy). Stress has a tendency to make people snappier than they normally would be, especially where money is concerned. The forums create a safe ‘face’ behind which people can vent their rage.

Also, I care about this place more than uneducated people not knwing anything about the MMO industry, believing that games should never evolve becasue they are happy with the way they are.

I’ve been reading through your comments Gumball and I’d like to say that first, you have made a few good points. However, it is arrogant to say that you care more about a particular game or industry than someone else. There are a lot of impassioned people here and I’m sure many of us want to see this game and Anet succeed in a tough industry.

Second, people will play for whatever reason they choose and they vote with their wallet. I voted to stop supporting Blizzard when they began made decisions I disagree with, including pay $60 to make your character max level. As a consumer, that was my vote. My one little vote, but as we’ve seen with Blizz’s quarterly reports over the last few years a lot of other people have voted the same way. Those votes add up fast.

The base of the problem is that a group of customers made a purchase and the product (town clothes) that they purchased is being drastically changed in a way that goes against the initial philosophy behind making the purchase.

This is about game evolution to the extent that it effects this particular aspect of the game. It’s important to discuss it because it also brings to the table a business practice customers find to be questionable.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

(edited by Allaraina.8614)

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

My suggestion:

1. Turn the costumes and town clothes in to armor skins, all of them, even the retired and limited edition ones like the bunny ears and hoodies.

2. Take the skill-sets associated with those skins (wintersday, mad king, etc…) and turn them in to the new type of toys that activate from your inventory.

4. Add a second armor set players can switch to out of combat.

You now have all the functionality that is being added with the wardrobe without removing any functionality of the previous system.

I’m curious what’s 3? Is it a secret? :O

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

The FAQ is from yesterday. Don’t despair!

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Hopefully we’ll hear something soon about this then.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

My suggestion:

1. Turn the costumes and town clothes in to armor skins, all of them, even the retired and limited edition ones like the bunny ears and hoodies.

2. Take the skill-sets associated with those skins (wintersday, mad king, etc…) and turn them in to the new type of toys that activate from your inventory.

You now have all the functionality that is being added with the wardrobe without removing any functionality of the previous system.

Point three didn’t make the cut, and four refused to take its place. :P

Posted by: ASaturnus.4980

ASaturnus.4980

I could live with a refund of the retired skins if these skins come back in an improved form without clipping issues(or whatever the problem is).
But this tonic-nonsense is just absurd – sorry for these harsh words. The same for the costumes. You are making these and similar future gem store items less valuable by making them less flexible. I can’t understand why you would devalue costumes without need.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Why not simply convert town clothes into armor skins and keep the costume pieces separate? That way everyone can continue to mix-and-match, and there is no need to introduce the confusion and frustration of town clothes tonics.

Because most of the townsclothes costumes have the pants and shirt parts already added together.

They basically need to leave town clothes alone.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Adelas.6598

Adelas.6598

But we didn’t mind the fact that town clothing couldn’t be used in combat!

Careful with your “we”. I’ve been begging to use town clothing in combat since day 1.

Devs, I hope you aren’t feeling too downhearted by the negative feedback. I will admit I am disappointed about not being able to mix and match (and as I understand it, the problem would mainly be one of clipping/matching up, so I understand you wanting to avoid that whining too).

But reusable, account bound skins, easy to preview, had me texting my game friends in all caps and doing a literal victory dance. The voice chat for my guild was full of cheers last night, and a couple of former players dropped into our room in mumble and sounded like they might come check it out due to the changes. I know you guys will do better planning going forward, because you are illustrating that you listen to us. Thank you.

Howell Qagan.9752

Point three didn’t make the cut, and four refused to take its place. :P

Perfect time to reuse the gif I created earlier to express one of my character’s thoughts about the removal of mixability of town clothes.
Here it is.

(edited by Howell Qagan.9752)

Posted by: dcjester.4507

dcjester.4507

My suggestion:

3: Profit.

Just more time in another place, a little more time to remake this face -Maestro

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I think it would be very much appreciated if there was an option to make a skin infinitely freely usable without further charges by using up a number of charges.

The current system bugs me because it just doesn’t feel like you actually unlocked those skins, but more like they’re up for sale from your hero panel.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Why not simply convert town clothes into armor skins and keep the costume pieces separate? That way everyone can continue to mix-and-match, and there is no need to introduce the confusion and frustration of town clothes tonics.

Because most of the townsclothes costumes have the pants and shirt parts already added together.

They basically need to leave town clothes alone.

That’s not as big a problem as one would think. There are several existing armor pieces that take up the slots for both the head and shoulders, chest and shoulders, or chest and hands, it would be no different having a chest item covering the chest and legs. And even if they didn’t wish to do it that way, they are two seperate meshes and can be seperated with some work.

EDIT: Wait, I forgot, there already IS one. The Cof Light chest armor takes up both the chest and leg slots.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Noxxi.5947

Noxxi.5947

I think it would be simple, if you could choose headgear as outfit for combat armor like it was showed in the video before, but still keep the current town clothes system instead of full “outfit” system. I don’t think there are so many problems with the current system, and I think most people would be okay with this.

Many people don’t want the “tonic” idea as “town clothes”, me neither.

So, basically my suggestion is:

• Keep the current town clothes “system” what we have already so this way we can freely mix out town clothes.
  • Drop the “tonic” idea, it’s not effective in my opinion.
  • Using “outfit” for headgear as combat armor could stay as an “extra” (which mean you could wear “glasses” as headgear with your combat armor).

I think there was no problem with switching between combat and non-combat armor. The wardrobe system could remain as it is, except that the “outfit part” remains how the town clothing works right now. Why take out something that works nicely already? And no I really don’t want a refund as a “fix”, I want to wear my town clothes, it’s the reason I bought them.. with gems.

No need to bash Arenanet with “RIOT! RIOT!” kind of comments. Give suggestions, this is mine. Posting mindless raging comments won’t solve neither our or their problem with this, all it does is just make us look less until they just actually won’t care about this thread.

Charr Guardian – Asura Mesmer
Leader of Serenity guild
Desolation

Posted by: Ashadow.6874

Ashadow.6874

Instead of creating tonics, destroying people’s looks and ruining parts of the old Town Clothing system — JUST — to satisfy people who have wanted a Wardrobe.

Why not allow us to have all Town Clothing simply converted to being armors.

-
-

We already deal with massive clipping issues as it is on some sets of armors. Not many people will care THAT much more that their new armors clip if they can actually use them as armors.

-
-

Please stop adding more limitationsand introducing worthless tonic versions of thingsthat can be done within your current new system.

And please do not combine this post into the massive disappearing walls of the new Wardrobe topic.

We are discussing the removal of Town Clothing entirely in this thread, and the conversion of them into Armors. (To avoid having any cosmetic damage to current Town Clothing people wear.)

We have come a long way, removing a lot of limitations that make this game a pain to play. Why would adding more, odd, unnecessary limitations be a good thing?

You are already removing the limitations from Single Town Cloth items, and making them armors. Why can’t the same be done for ALL Town Clothing Sets?

#SAB 2014 plx

#OccupySAB2014

(edited by Ashadow.6874)

Posted by: Ashadow.6874

Ashadow.6874

Simplest possible fix ever:

Convert ALL Town Clothing (regardless of if it is a single piece, or multiple pieces) into Armors.

Why are they going for the hard fixes, when the simple fix is right in front of them. Stop differentiating between Town Clothes/Armors.

#SAB 2014 plx

#OccupySAB2014

Posted by: Gerolux.5978

Gerolux.5978

some town clothes do not “fit” the style of classes. Plus there are some who play large norn and enjoy the cooking outfit and would lose out on it because the town clothes became light armors.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

Just to clarify so that people don’t take it lightly (not that I think you are, but in case others do) in my experience company decisions are made based off of politics and the interpretation of current revenue data.

Fair enough. I suppose me shortening it as I did doesn’t help. I updated that post and link it to your others.

So I’m guessing that changing something that DID take a lot of work to code, design, implement, etc was not a flip decision. Companies do NOT like wasting money. Maybe the guess is that they can generate more revenue by changing over where they focus their finite resources.

Agreed. That’s part of why this choice doesn’t make a lot sense to me. And when I say that, I mean “over less invasive and/or less work-heavy alternatives.” Trying to shift towards a more profitable setup is understandable, but this is not a new minefield they’ve wandered into. It has happened before with the Flamekissed controversy. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that messing with an entire category of cash shop items is going to spark a fire. No pun intended.

(edited by Fenrina.2954)

Posted by: Liraz.8062

Liraz.8062

some town clothes do not “fit” the style of classes. Plus there are some who play large norn and enjoy the cooking outfit and would lose out on it because the town clothes became light armors.

The converted skins would undoubtedly need to be available to all armor classes. As for ruining the look of classes, it can’t possibly ruin them any more than the absurdity of a bunch of folks fighting in Mad King’s armor, which is about to be a reality. You can’t tell a light-fighter in Mad King’s from a heavy-fighter, after all. I think the “sanctity of armor class appearance” ship has already sailed where PvE/WvW is concerned.

Firstwatch Irregular Company – RP, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Azalea.8341

Azalea.8341

Anet, you sold us specific items with specific functions and features. Upon the purchase of town clothes, it was understood that they were interchangeable and dyeable. I understand technically it was the gems that were sold to the costumer, but it could be argued that this was actually a currency conversion, as the digital currency “gems” has been used to purchase “goods,” in this instance, town clothes. The gems were often used by customers to purchase a specific product offered – a product that has been reduced to tonics, which the player did not purchase, and may have had no interest in purchasing. This is really, really disrespectful to your costumers.

In fact, this arguably could be a major conflict for consumer protection. Many US states have passed legislation to protect consumers, such as the Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act, which specifically states “A person engages in a deceptive trade practice when, in the course of his or her business, vocation, or occupation, the person: … represents that goods or services are of a particular standard, quality, or grade or that goods are a particular style or model, if they are of another (Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act, 815 ILCS 510/2, from Ch. 121 1/2, par. 312.)”

However, I do understand that you are protected under your own user agreement. “SUBJECT TO SECTION 12©, ANY SERVICE, CONTENT OR SOFTWARE FROM NCSOFT, ANY THIRD-PARTIES UNDER AGREEMENT WITH NCSOFT, ANY PARENT, SUBSIDIARY OR AFFILIATE OF NCSOFT, OR ANY EMPLOYEE, AGENT, SUPPLIER, LICENSEE, CUSTOMER, DISTRIBUTOR, SHAREHOLDER, DIRECTOR OR OFFICER OF ANY OF THE FOREGOING, IS PROVIDED AT YOUR OWN RISK ON AN “AS AVAILABLE,” “AS IS” BASIS IN ITS CURRENT CONDITION AND WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATION, GUARANTEE, OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND OR IN ANY WAY RELATED TO SERVICE, SUPPORT, INDEMNITY, ERROR FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED OPERATION, UPDATES, CORRECTION OF DEFECTS, OR THAT IT IS FREE FROM DEFECTS OR VIRUSES OR HARMFUL COMPONENTS OF ANY FORM WHATSOEVER. (Guild Wars 2 User Agreement, Section 12, paragraph a).”

Even if you are protected by a user agreement, that does not mean you’ve not been deceptive. Anet, your costumers paid for a specific, well defined product, town clothing, some of which have been owned for over a year. You gave no warning that they would no longer exist, change in nature, or be converted into another item (tonics). They were understood to be interchangeable items. In fact, you put many on sale recently, not informing buyers that the items they were purchasing would soon not be of the nature the costumer was led to believe. Even if legal, it’s unethical, and how a company respects its client purchases says a lot about how successful they will be.

Personally, I like the idea of running around in my town clothes, guns ablaze. However, I don’t like the idea of items I specifically purchased to be interchangeable no longer being interchangeable, and tonics are a poor substitute. Gem refunds are also poor condolences, as many people used gems only to buy town clothing. Would it really be so much to ask that you find the models for the town clothing and set them to skins that can be applied to specific parts of an armor set, much like the current skins? Or at least provide a clear explanation as to why it would be impossible, even given time? As a forewarning, clipping is not a fair excuse, as the game is already littered with clipping issues.

If you want your customers to respect you, and continue to feel safe to buy in the gem store with trust that the content they purchase and its qualities will be preserved, please take the time to address this issue in a way that doesn’t brush under the rug the concerns of the player community.

Completely agree with everything cmlanton said. I did not pay for a tonic, nor would I now if I had known what was going to happen to my town clothes. I paid for my interchangeable, dyeable, fun pieces of clothing and I am upset that you’re changing them without warning. And I feel the same as cmlanton in that a gem refund is not enough to redeem the situation for me. I won’t feel safe purchasing additional skins through the gem store in the future knowing you could just pull a tonic card out of the blue on me. Honestly, it’s kind of an appalling business decision that you would treat your customers in this way. This update with the wardrobe, while probably turning it into a cash cow for Anet, looked nice despite that fact. But the town clothes fiasco has just put so much of a damper on my feelings for it that, while it would have brought me back to the game for more of an extended period of time, now I’m not sure if I’ll be returning.

I just had to add my voice to the outcry, because the more people who speak out against this, the more you’ll probably hear us and make a change that will satisfy your customers.

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

Anet must keep in mind that, after all, everyone who bought town clothes by gems never ever wanted it for combat, so there is no real need of give new features to this items. Don’t get me wrong, it would be awesome if this clothes could be used also in combat, but not if that destroys the original intention of this kind of item.

It’s not true that “everyone” who bought town clothes never wanted to have them in combat. I’ve been hoping for the ability to wear town clothes in combat for a very long time. I bought several sets under their non-combat functionality because I liked the skins a great deal, but I always considered it something of a waste of armor art which would have been very desirable for a constant look on a character, and admittedly bought them with the hope that they’d someday be useable in combat.

If the changes go through as planned, I’ll still be happier about it than if ArenaNet hadn’t decided to make them combat-capable at all. However, this is ideally what I’d like to see happen:

—“Outfits” would become a way to implement universal body armor without impacting PvP, since they would use a separate paper doll that could be disallowed if necessary in sPvP and WvW.

—Said paper doll would work exactly the same as town clothes do now, with the ability to mix and match on items that currently contain separate parts. Outfits which are already all-or-nothing, like the Bloody Prince set, would remain so.

—Head slot items that are sold separately would unlock a version for regular armor and for outfits.

What this would accomplish:

—People would still be able to mix-and-match town clothes sets.

—It would add immense value to items sold as outfits (particularly head slot items and mask skins), as they would instantly become desirable as universal costumes.

—It would provide a great opportunity to sell one-off armor designs which are not “themed” to any particular profession and don’t correspond to a specific armor set. Someone on the team comes up with a great single piece like the hoodie, but it doesn’t really fit as an armor skin? Gem store!

The only downside I can see to this is if there’s a technical limitation in what would basically just be preventing the current town clothes paper doll from removing player skills and reverting to armor in combat. I’m not going to assume that this isn’t the case, but if it’s not, I think this has exciting possibilities for armor customization in PvE. I’d be willing to pay for extra outfit pages to swap as I liked, or pages that would allow me to save and swap to more than one armor set, or pages that would let me wear different armor weight appearances in PvE…like, I’d be willing to pay a lot.

(edited by Bonefield.9813)

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Honestly, it’s kind of an appalling business decision that you would treat your customers in this way.

I think it’s kind of funny (in a sad, shaking my head way) that the ones who are most negatively impacted by this update are the ones who are most likely to have spent real world money.

That is, if you just look at the armor side where people spent in game gold or karma, it’s a win. If you look at actual cash store purchases… haha, you lose.

I’m still completely baffled that this decision was given the go ahead. I am still hoping for a satisfactory resolution, but I can guarantee that I will never spend another cent of real world money in the gem store. I can’t be sure that my purchases will remain as I bought them. It’s a horrible precedent to set for the company, given that their gem store is their only source of recurring income.

Posted by: Glider.5792

Glider.5792

Please! Dont remove what we love.

Attachments:

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

Will I be able to use my mad king outfit in PvP after April 15th? This is literally all I care about in life right now. I’m so confused, some people are saying “yah usable in combat” then others are talking about this weird tonic thing.

Let’s be real for a second, GW2 armor skins are pretty effing bland compared to most RPG’s (no offense to art team, still love you guys, but it’s the truth). The ability to finally use town clothes in combat would really be a huge incentive to actually play the game for many people (I’m less inclined to logg into a game when my characters look generic/boring). This would also add significant value to town clothes across the board; boosting sales and making gw2 cosmetic sales more profitable than the RNG crap everyone hates.

The Arguement: “People won’t know what class is what!” -This logic is kittened. You don’t look at armor to identify what class you’re dealing with in PvP; that’s not even intuitive since there are only 3 armor sets to begin with. There are obvious tells we use to identify class in sPvP and I’ll point out a few right now to deflate this argument.

• Rangers: have a pet (pretty obvious). Also spam evade skills.
  • Necros: have death shroud/minions, marks, wells -lots of unique/obvious plague-like animations.
  • Eles: 90% of them open fights with RTL or air atunement (pretty much only class that has any lightnight animation). If that isn’t enough, they have particle rings around their wrists that identify their attunement.
  • Engineers: have either giant packs on their backs or turrets or are spam drinking potions. They are also usually wielding a pistol/shield (only class that can wield that combo) -if they are using a rifle or p/p in PvP, you probably don’t need to know what class they are playing to beat them in a 1v1 anyways because their using troll builds (jk lol). Also spam evade cas perma vigor.
  • Thief: blink around and in and out of stealth, will usually be spamming same skill over and over.
  • Guardians: have giant blue shields on their offhand @ the start of every fight, and nearly all their animations are light blue + spam giant symbols all over the ground.
  • Mesmer: Clones, the color purple.
  • Warrior: Signet icons on HP bar, ‘leap’/‘charge’ animations, LB explosions, or banners on the ground.

TLDR; make town clothes usable in combat=more town clothes sales=more town clothes creation=1. More customization options for players & 2. Less reliance on RNG cs packs to generate financial revenue for the studio. Not being able to tell what class is which based on armor is an unreasonable argument that lacks foundation. Make MK outfit usable in PvP, Anet. It just makes sense.

PS: If the living world/lore team is seriously worried about people running around in sun glasses and Santa outfits because it would “break the immersion of the game”, forcing players to conform to a single art style and limiting the customization of their character doesn’t facilitate a world in which players can feel truly invested in, and thus breaks immersion for fashion divas like myself. Loosen up, the sandbox mmo genre is all the rage right now anyways.

PSS: You guys are located in Bellevue, which is like the most hipster city in WA. You should be all about that non-conformist swag.

Neglekt

(edited by Zodian.6597)

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

The new changes to town clothes are the like the following:
1. they will be converted into outfits as in a one piece look you have on your gear
2. those can be used in combat

Positives:
Now, you can wear the clothes, using them in more situations for better use of them.
Negatives:
For a reason or another, the system where town clothes could be mixed and matched is gone since town clothes are considered as one piece outfits atm. The only thing announced to be viable doing is opo up or off your ’’hat’’, coming with the outfit.

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

The new changes to town clothes are the like the following:
1. they will be converted into outfits as in a one piece look you have on your gear
2. those can be used in combat

Positives:
Now, you can wear the clothes, using them in more situations for better use of them.
Negatives:
For a reason or another, the system where town clothes could be mixed and matched is gone since town clothes are considered as one piece outfits atm. The only thing announced to be viable doing is opo up or off your ’’hat’’, coming with the outfit.

So will these “outfits” be distributed as tonics? Cas some devs were saying something about tonics and I’m pretty sure you can’t use tonics in sPvP..
Thanks for the info tho, that does clarify a lot.

Neglekt

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

The only downside I can see to this is if there’s a technical limitation in what would basically just be preventing the current town clothes paper doll from removing player skills and reverting to armor in combat.

I’m kinda doubtful that there is. They either reused or remade the switching code for outfits anyway. There shouldn’t be an issue there with 1 slot vs. 4 slots that would mess up skills.

Posted by: Razyll.2081

Razyll.2081

I rarely post but this is just too much of a problem for me to ignore.

I play this game to dress up for the most part. Removing my option to do so makes me less inclined to play. Let’s not forget that when I purchased town clothes from the gem store I thought I was purchasing what they are; town clothes… not tonics or ‘all-or-nothing’ costumes. I can tell you I will be saving my money for different purposes than this game if I can’t be sure of what I’m buying.

I’m willing to overlook the fact that it will cost an exorbitant amount of gold that you tacked on to wardrobe use. You are just masking the rest of the wardrobe behind a pay wall. Maybe you guys could scale the cost of the wardrobe with total account character level? Not everyone is level 80 and rolling in gold. Just something to think about.

But essentially removing town clothes is taking away from people; not adding a feature

I want to mix and match and dye my town clothes. Just like my armor.
Please reconsider what would be an amazing feature.

Last note… would it not be easier and more beneficial to just adjust the feature rather than be willing to refund all these gems?

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

I’ve cooled of slightly and decided to look at it from a different angle.
At lease I’ll be getting a nice refund in gems back after the 15th when I submit for all those tonics I don’t want (potentially 10 if the FAQ page is correct).

I still think that the handling of Town clothes issue as one-piece skins is a poor decision in general though.

Posted by: wharone.1809

wharone.1809

I never really post either because Anet never seems to acknowledge us until new mmos start coming out and the playerbase starts tanking, but I’ll just chip in this. Why are you making a business of REMOVING features with updates? I had a town clothing set made just for this and to find out now that mixing and matching isn’t welcome where it was actively encouraged in its early days is both laughable and horrifying.

Please, PLEASE do NOT go through with this change. I know this plea falls on deaf ears but kittenmit, I’m not ready to give up my town look. If this is truly the end, RIP town clothes, you were a symbol of a better time.

Attachments:

Posted by: The Pitboss.1465

The Pitboss.1465

Meh

Posted by: Reminiscent Valkyrie.3109

Reminiscent Valkyrie.3109

How about single items from the promo, like the Dragon Shirt? That is a single item unlocked right? Tried searching but no results. I’m a hardcore GW2 supporter, and would still love this to be permitted in game as armor!

Alyssah Shyles – (Shirokami Kyoudan, Fuse Midori, Hinata Ema, Kimishima Kana)
Administrative Guild Leader of The Luminiferous Constellation [Lumi] on Kaineng US
www.luminiferous-constellation.com

Posted by: Tatzen.4710

Tatzen.4710

I will add my name to the list of people requesting a change, and say it will affect my future purchases if the system remains so inflexible.

I bought the khaki cargo shorts for three characters, because they look so CUTE in them. I was looking forward to adventuring in them under the new system: Cargo shorts with some boots and a nice top.. mix-and-match! Dress up is fun! But I find out today that it’s a tonic that doesn’t work in combat, and doesn’t work with other gear? Even if it wasn’t a tonic, I can’t mix-and-match outfits either?

Please make this wardrobe system much more flexible, as is found in any other games (MOST other games in fact!). If it remains this way, I must refund all my clothing turned into “tonics”, but I’ll also not be buying clothes in the gem shop because I can’t mix-and-match.

I was planning on a shopping spree to buy new clothes with your new system, but the limitations you impose make me say “no!” I won’t be putting my money to support this weird and restrictive system.

Just make them all skins with no armor restrictions as others have suggested. Turn my flame legion pants into cargo shorts? Sounds good to me! And I’ll even pay for the transmute stone. Win-win.

(edited by Tatzen.4710)

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

My suggestion:

3. Add a second armor set players can switch to out of combat.

This would be pretty great, at least from my (layman) point of view

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Fair enough. I suppose me shorting it as I did doesn’t help. I updated that post and link it to your others.

Agreed. That’s part of why this choice doesn’t make a lot sense to me. And when I say that, I mean “over less invasive and/or less work-heavy alternatives.” Trying to shift towards a more profitable setup is understandable, but this is not a new minefield they’ve wandered into. It has happened before with the Flamekissed controversy. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that messing with an entire category of cash shop items is going to spark a fire. No pun intended.

I completely agree.

That said, I feel that there is a place in the game for infinite tonics. I enjoy being a golem, quaggan, etc on occasion. But, especially since they were introduced as two different things, I feel that there should remain a distinction.

And what can I say? I love my witch boots, mini skirt, and devil horns.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Howell Qagan.9752

You tell, me. I’m so much going to lose this look It’s like the Boss GW2 fan outfit.

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Mix and match!

Can’t remember who said it, but some game developer blog I once read said that you can’t give a player the ability to create something awesome without giving them the ability to create atrocities.

So c’mon. Armor clipping isn’t a huge deal. There are games out there where armor clips into flat, still-standing character’s faces.

Attachments:

Posted by: Shaman.2034

Shaman.2034

Instead of tonics, why can’t the single-piece town clothes be converted to armor skins? I’ll never be able to look like this again…

Attachments:

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Everyone, I’m just as upset as most in this thread, but can we please keep it civil? As devs have said in the past, they care about the game and they do not make changes to “slap the community in the face.” Can we please not threaten them with any sort of violence and refrain from assuming they are out to spite or ignore the community? Even if you feel this way, it is not productive nor will it help the situation.

Yes, thank you. Please keep it civil to not only our staff, but to each other, while you are giving us your feedback. We are compiling it all together and we should have more answers on a variety of topics regarding Wardrobe when we do.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

If we’re being combative, consider it the training and life lessons from the game. Considering not only are the majority of but, the greatest of rewards, comes from non stop killing and destroying. Town Clothing was one of the few things that us non homicidal types can do for fun in GW2. Not only that, town clothing was some of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, appearance items in game. Some us want NICE and not skulls, flames, spikes, horns, etc… It’s easy to feel slighted or ignored when some of us have been very vocal about this since launch. The greatest imbalance isn’t in PvP or professions, it’s in appearance and choice. Yet, the face and voice of the developers have been mostly the PvP team.

I can’t stress enough, it’s worth taking the town clothes and making them into proper combat skins. Most of the items we are upset about are already in individual pieces. And, I can’t stress this enough, we use the boots and shoes from the sets because the gem store has never focused on selling individual foot attire.

The assorted glasses, bunny ears, hats, the ruched shirts, the hoodies, dragon t-shirt (I wish was re-released), the Khaki Cargo shorts, etc. should be made combat ready skins.

The Fancy Wintersday’s outfit is already in individual pieces.
The Cook’s outfit is already in individual pieces.
The Pirate Costume is in pieces except for the top and pants. Easy to separate.
The Bloody Prince is in pieces except for the top and pants. Easy to separate.

Now the ones I’d say combat tonics would be acceptable for are the Mad King and the Executioner. Though you still have separate pieces in those two sets that could be made into useful combat skins. Don’t be wasteful and throw them away. The Mad King gloves and The Executioner hood, gloves, and boots, are already separate pieces and would make good combat skins.

Let’s be practical and use as much as we can. Appearance items are in very short supply as it is.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Honestly, the outfit/headgear separation seems completely arbitrary. Add an outfit checkbox and slot to the interface for each gear slot. Allow them to be toggled individually. Suddenly welding together pieces that are already functional as separate entities just so you don’t have to put a little more work in to the interface (after already putting so much work in to the interface) is a total cop-out to get the system out the door.

Don’t rush it, justr apologise, state that it’s coming, and roll it out with an LS update after you’ve dotted the Is and crossed the Ts.

Go ahead and make the toys endless tonics as they are the only part of the town clothing system that wouldn’t otherwise fit with the new system, but the clothing should continue to adhere to the rules of clothing, become armor skins, or otherwise retain every bit of its old functionality.

Nobody cares if they have to wait a little bit for this to happen.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Shaman.2034

Shaman.2034

Honestly, the outfit/headgear separation seems completely arbitrary. Add an outfit checkbox and slot to the interface for each gear slot. Allow them to be toggled individually. Suddenly welding together pieces that are already functional as separate entities just so you don’t have to put a little more work in to the interface (after already putting so much work in to the interface) is a total cop-out to get the system out the door.

Don’t rush it, justr apologise, state that it’s coming, and roll it out with an LS update after you’ve dotted the Is and crossed the Ts.

Go ahead and make the toys endless tonics as they are the only part of the town clothing system that wouldn’t otherwise fit with the new system, but the clothing should continue to adhere to the rules of clothing, become armor skins, or otherwise retain every bit of its old functionality.

This is exactly right. I don’t care if I have to wait longer, I want to keep my individual town clothes skins one way or another. Making them tonics, with other “complimentary” pieces and preset dyes goes against what this update is supposed to be about. Easier character customization, right?

Posted by: Felix.9170

Felix.9170

Now that my initial shock and anger has calmed down I am just bewildered. Why is the removal of town clothes needed or desirable? I personalty have no desire to put a top hat on my heavy armor, for instance. Why not just leave the existing system alone and continue to sell us silly hats and anachronistic sports wear! If town cloths realty must be worn in combat why not use the existing dye-able slot system and have it override the appearance of the combat armor, like the costume being presented, only multiple slots. I very much enjoy town cloths, mixing and dying them. Down-grading the game to remove this content seems counterproductive at best.

Posted by: ProsaicPudding.6437

ProsaicPudding.6437

While I think the ‘make all town clothes armor skins’ option is a lot better than the alternative currently proposed, I feel like I’m losing something in not having the additional town clothes set I can switch to whenever I want. Whatever ends up being done, I really hope I can still have at least 2 sets of toggleable armor available (without storing things in inventory or paying charges etc.), since having features taken away is a kind of painful experience.

Side note: this would have been a great topic for a CDI. Have those been scrapped, or was it not done for some other reason?

Posted by: agamedivine.6789

agamedivine.6789

Just putting my two cents in here…
Not a fan of the tonic idea… and about the clipping?
This is normal armor. This has been clipping since last summer….
I think we can deal.

Attachments:

Heidvalkyr
[SoX] Standard of Heroes
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Jajuju.6970

Jajuju.6970

This, this, and this.

No one cares if we have to wait a little longer to get a proper costume system. Do your thing, devs! We’ll wait!

When I first read about the “costume slot” and being able to use Town Clothes in combat I was thinking it’d be very similar to those kitten Korean F2P games that have complete working costume systems… You can mix-n-match 90% of armor in these games, no problem. Sad to see that it’s not what me and many others were hoping for.

I am not sure why ArenaNet couldn’t do something similar. This is a joke, really. Reconsider, eh?

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

the FAQ is out

Thanks for posting the link to the FAQ. It’s nice that ArenaNet put that out yesterday, it would have been even nicer if they told people about it with a link on the blog.

I agree with your views, I would like the ability to mix and match costume/outfit items. It’s also unfortunate tonics can’t be dyed. I would prefer everything to just be individual item skins.

I am 100% behind this. I am willing to see this get pulled for April and implemented in a better manner at a later date.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)