Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Because it’s April Fools and guild wars ALWAYS does something to celebrate it. And just like last year’s bobblehead laboratory, we will more than likely be able to buy something on the gem store that can simulate the airplane whenever we want

I am aware of this. But since it will normally only be available for a single day, it would be a waste of time and resources to build in an manual off-switch. That is all I am saying.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

It was funny but in bad taste considering Germany’s recent crash.

C’mon Anet, you shoulda known better.

This event was planned and developed for months. It is not something they decided to do a week ago.

There are always things that happens around the globe. Does that mean they should never be allowed to release anything?

Could they not have changed the headgear to goggles and made everyone look like they are driving a car? the sound effects would have made sense still and they would have avoided a sensitive issue in the news.

Posted by: Bojoo.7819

Bojoo.7819

TIL: gw2 forum is full of tumblerinas.

inb4 someones gets triggerd.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Is it a bad time to now say me and other Canthans are going to bomb Lion’s Arch Harbor?

“For the Emperor!”

Also there are 900 other Canthans behind me!

Attachments:

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

lordkrall.7241

I dont even know why im going to bother responding to you. but really its not that hard to write a button that simply “Turns off” the event when pressed(Assuming that their coders have any experience with the programs, etc they use), at least from my admittedly very small time spent trying out flash games, it was one of the first things i got taught back when i was taking a video game design class…

It might not be all that hard, but it is still something that would take time and resources. And why waste time on it for something that will only be available for 24 hours anyway?

It is also a rather massive difference between a flash game and a game like this.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

Interesting that the apology was posted in German (on the German forum) but there’s been no similar statement in the English-language forums. (And I say this as someone who sees nothing wrong with this April Fool’s and thinks that some people are just being extraordinarily oversensitive.)

What? You mean, on the forum where the only people even affected by the plane crash might be?

Also, I hope when you say “some people are just being extraordinarily oversensitive” you aren’t referring to those who had friends/family on that plane. Because from where I’m standing, the oversensitive people are the reddit meme-lords who thought it appropriate to make 100 threads complaining about the 5 threads complaining about the joke.

You’re proving my point. I, for the life of me, cannot comprehend how making the players wear old-time leather aviators’ helmets, stick their arms out to emulate prop-driven airplanes, tweak the postprocessing to make the screen look like a silent-era or early talkie-era movie (the first thing I thought of when I figured out what was going on was “The Dawn Patrol” or “Wings”, both classic World War I aviation films) and adding funny noises and music had anything whatever to do with the recent tragedy in the Alps. I’m going to be blunt here: the connection exists only in your mind and in the minds of others who somehow made a connection that absolutely does not exist.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

… for adding a “holy grail knights with coconuts for pretend-horses” animation to the game? No.

I want that now! Come, Patsy!

:D

lordkrall.7241

Could they not have changed the headgear to goggles and made everyone look like they are driving a car? the sound effects would have made sense still and they would have avoided a sensitive issue in the news.

Oh, but what about all those people that have died on car-crashes the last few weeks then?
There was a rather large one here in Sweden quite recently. Wouldn’t that also be unfitting in that case?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Because it’s April Fools and guild wars ALWAYS does something to celebrate it. And just like last year’s bobblehead laboratory, we will more than likely be able to buy something on the gem store that can simulate the airplane whenever we want

I am aware of this. But since it will normally only be available for a single day, it would be a waste of time and resources to build in an manual off-switch. That is all I am saying.

Oh I apologize, I thought you originally meant that the prank was dumb because it’s only lasting one day, not the button thing. Then yes you make sense lol.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It’s either going to be SAB or a complete disappointment.

…. I guess I was right.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Then you have to worry about upsetting those who have recently been in car accidents or who have lost loved ones to car accidents.

There is no reason for them to change it from airplanes to anything else because silent films, people pretending to be airplanes, and an old game bug have nothing to do with real-life tragedies.

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

At least they apologized, maybe next time they won’t preplan a ‘prank’ months in advance and have it written in stone, maybe next year they will actually give a crap about events going on in the world and not be so American focused.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

It might not be all that hard, but it is still something that would take time and resources. And why waste time on it for something that will only be available for 24 hours anyway?

It is also a rather massive difference between a flash game and a game like this.

It wouldnt be a waste, seeing as how this game is going to be out for many many years, and those who dont want to see it will probably use those things. Just like the mail carrier skins, alot of the people in my guild think that was a waste of time, and it should have been spent on other things.

And no not really, the coding is still just that, coding. To enable or disable something is just that, coding. And unless their code is so broken and hard to navigate that it actually makes writing a button a chore, its not very different!

Alas, i must leave to go shopping! but, i do hope you have a good day! cause when i get back, ill be playing my ranger xD

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Eight Samurai.6840

Then you have to worry about upsetting those who have recently been in car accidents or who have lost loved ones to car accidents.

There is no reason for them to change it from airplanes to anything else because silent films, people pretending to be airplanes, and an old game bug have nothing to do with real-life tragedies.

^This… okay we can all go home now.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Should they have known better? Should they have thought that the chars pretending to be airplanes making engine noises, like small children playing, would cause anyone to link it to a plane crash a week ago? You are aware that planes crash every day aren’t you?

I have to wonder, if it was a plane crash a week ago and the same number of people died but it was not as well publicized, would these people still be posting about it?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

lordkrall.7241

…. I guess I was right.

And yet it would be just as disappointing for them to just re-release an old April Fool’s joke.

People really should understand that it is extremely unlikely that we will ever see SAB released on April Fool’s.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

This event was planned and developed for months. It is not something they decided to do a week ago.

There are always things that happens around the globe. Does that mean they should never be allowed to release anything?

No, because the original joke – which has been explained over and over and OVER again – would have been lost. The joke refers to a bug that happened during the beta phase in 2012 and that has been joked about ever since, with some players asking for a “/plane” emote. As I remarked in another thread, I see no connection whatever – and it makes no sense to me why some people see such a connection – between characters wearing vintage leather aviators’ helmets, sticking their arms out to emulate prop-driven planes, funny noises and music, and the screen postprocessing being tweaked to emulate a silent-era or early talkie movie – and the recent tragedy in the Alps. If ANet had meant to make fun of said tragedy, I submit to you that they’d have done something like have the characters dress as modern airline pilots, hold their arms to emulate jet-driven airliners, make jet noises, and crash every so often.

Posted by: moonsugar.4793

moonsugar.4793

The more I think about it the angrier I get. People demanding an apology from Anet for this prank claiming they lost loved ones to an airline tragedy. What is wrong with you people??? Why are you gaming when you should be grieving instead? Its like hearing someone say “My grandma died yesterday, think I’ll go to the movies.” The credibility is totally lost.

I don’t agree with all the whining about the April Fool’s joke; that whole thing is ridiculous. But you have absolutely no right to tell someone how they should choose to grieve or cope with grief. When my brother died last year, I played video games as a way to help me get through hard days. I also took my kids to see a movie to cheer us all up when we went back home for his funeral.

Being in mourning does not mean you have to become a shut-in who doesn’t participate in social activities.

I’ve suffered loss myself. No, I didn’t shut myself in and give up on life for good but I gave myself a break from certain activities while the pain was still fresh. Most importantly, I didn’t shame other people for going about their lives normally and amusing themselves. That’s what upsets me here. I’m calling into question why they should care about a game event at a time like this in their lives! Their fresh full of grief and they’re lashing out a insignificant things.

Eight Samurai.6840

…. I guess I was right.

And yet it would be just as disappointing for them to just re-release an old April Fool’s joke.

People really should understand that it is extremely unlikely that we will ever see SAB released on April Fool’s.

Lol it would be great if they also made it so that if you tried to enter the SAB cube, you would be teleported above Rata Sum and dropped down with our airplane hands hahahaha.

RoseofGilead.8907

The more I think about it the angrier I get. People demanding an apology from Anet for this prank claiming they lost loved ones to an airline tragedy. What is wrong with you people??? Why are you gaming when you should be grieving instead? Its like hearing someone say “My grandma died yesterday, think I’ll go to the movies.” The credibility is totally lost.

I don’t agree with all the whining about the April Fool’s joke; that whole thing is ridiculous. But you have absolutely no right to tell someone how they should choose to grieve or cope with grief. When my brother died last year, I played video games as a way to help me get through hard days. I also took my kids to see a movie to cheer us all up when we went back home for his funeral.

Being in mourning does not mean you have to become a shut-in who doesn’t participate in social activities.

I’ve suffered loss myself. No, I didn’t shut myself in and give up on life for good but I gave myself a break from certain activities while the pain was still fresh. Most importantly, I didn’t shame other people for going about their lives normally and amusing themselves. That’s what upsets me here. I’m calling into question why they should care about a game event at a time like this in their lives! Their fresh full of grief and they’re lashing out a insignificant things.

Honestly, I think 98% of the complaints here aren’t even coming from a place of grief. Rather, it’s coming from a place of annoyance (at the arm position, at the supposed betrayal of Anet for not letting them opt out, and so on). So yeah, their annoyance rage is making them lash out at a video game prank that lasts 24 hours.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Could they not have changed the headgear to goggles and made everyone look like they are driving a car?

The joke is a plane, not a car.

Pyriel.4370

Oh, but what about all those people that have died on car-crashes the last few weeks then?
There was a rather large one here in Sweden quite recently. Wouldn’t that also be unfitting in that case?

I know it sounds bad but car crashes are no way near as sensitive to the international public. All I said was it is in bad taste and offered a simple alternative anyway.

Easiest way to put it is ‘too soon Anet’.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I mean, I didn’t mind the bobblehead thing last year; played as usual. This time, I pretty much just logged off after doing only 1 daily and doing some home instance mining.

This game has a bad habit of not really thinking things through before unleashing them on the general populace— this is just small beans though.

Now if they turned our characters into planes…

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Just a flesh wound.3589

What if ANet had had a snowfall April fools instead where there was thick snowfall in game. Would that have been a problem?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Afghanistan_avalanches
“On February 24–28, 2015, avalanches in Panjshir Province, Afghanistan killed at least 310 people, and another 129 were wounded. 1,000 troops have been deployed to Panjshir Province to assist rescue efforts. According to the acting governor of Panjshir, Abdul Rahman Kabiri, these avalanches were the worst Afghanistan had seen in three decades.
The avalanches were caused by heavy snowstorms in the area.These snowstorms have also hampered rescue efforts, with some areas receiving nearly a meter of snow.”

Would there have been people posting about how this was insensitive and how ANet should have known better?

Or if they have a major storm with rain for a day for that matter?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Southeast_Africa_Floods
“The 2015 Southeast Africa Floods, known as Tropical Storm Chedza, killed at least 176 people in Malawi, 86 in Mozambique and at least 46 in Madagascar over a course of a week, while named Chedza, and while leaving hundreds more missing. Vice President of Malawi Saulos Chilima stated that over 200,000 people had been displaced because of the flood.”

The thing is, something is happening all the time to people. Everywhere you look, there are disasters, large or small. It’s not possible to show something in the game that doesn’t tie into a disaster somewhere else.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

you guys are aware that this prank is rather on the unsensetive side for rather a few europeans, right?

lordkrall.7241

I know it sounds bad but car crashes are no way near as sensitive to the international public. All I said was it is in bad taste and offered a simple alternative anyway.

But why would it be?
The personal tragedy for people involved is just as great in a car-crash as in a plane crash.

The fact that the plane crash got massive amounts of publicity doesn’t make it worse than a car crash. People still died.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

lordkrall.7241

you guys are aware that there was a plane crash/suicide in europe last week, right?

You are aware that people die daily due to guns, knives, bombs, sickness and starvation right?
So clearly they should remove every single thing in the game that even slightly refers to anything of those things.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Eight Samurai.6840

But why would it be?
The personal tragedy for people involved is just as great in a car-crash as in a plane crash.

The fact that the plane crash got massive amounts of publicity doesn’t make it worse than a car crash. People still died.

In fact, more people die due to car crashes than plane crashes every year, by idk… 100 fold maybe more?

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

you guys are aware that there was a plane crash/suicide in europe last week, right?

You are aware that people die daily due to guns, knives, bombs, sickness and starvation right?
So clearly they should remove every single thing in the game that even slightly refers to anything of those things.

And it’s not like we’re being forced to “fly” ourselves into buildings/stuff. We’re playing airplane. Should airplanes cease to exist anywhere because someone died in a crash?

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

You are aware that roughly 150,000 people in the world die every single day and as such we can’t cease all humor everywhere every time some one dies, right?

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Was this really necessary ? it was only last week some mad man killed 150 on a plane.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Posted by: Hellworthy.1359

Hellworthy.1359

Well, this has been an absolute waste to the one night of the week I had free. Thanks for that, Anet. I honestly don’t know why you didn’t think of implementing a toggle function. Really quite disappointed that the one night this week I could have sat down to play has to be ruined by this stupidity.

It’s not hard to implement a toggle feature. Do it next time.

Just a flesh wound.3589

you guys are aware that this prank is rather on the unsensetive side for rather a few europeans, right?

600 people died last week in the US, killed by guns.

The thing is, they failed to die in one spot and at one time, there wasn’t any big publicity about their deaths so no one gets on the forum and demands that ANet remove guns from the game in consideration that so many died last week.

Is it only deaths at one time and place that get sufficient publicity that deserve forum outrage?

ANet may give it to you.

lordkrall.7241

Was this really necessary ? it was only last week some mad man killed 150 on a plane.

Yeah, I am sure ArenaNet went and worked overtime just to get this even ready at the very last minute….

The event have been planned and developed for MONTHS. And tragedies happens EVERY SINGLE DAY. They can’t just stop releasing stuff because someone can draw a (very thin) line between it and a recent tragedy. If they would do that, there would never be anything released.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Eight Samurai.6840

This is why ‘merged’ forum posts annoy me sometimes. We have so many pages of posts about the prank already in this forum, and now we get a post like this… again.

RoseofGilead.8907

Well, this has been an absolute waste to the one night of the week I had free. Thanks for that, Anet. I honestly don’t know why you didn’t think of implementing a toggle function. Really quite disappointed that the one night this week I could have sat down to play has to be ruined by this stupidity.

Believe it or not, you can still play.

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Was your comment necessary? It distracts from the 150,000 people that died yesterday

lordkrall.7241

Oh no. A SINGLE DAY out of 365 have a little prank (that in no way or form make the game unplayable), how dare they?

It might not be hard to implement a toggle, but why waste the time, when the event will only ever be live for 24 hours?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Wow…with all those threads merged into one….this convo is going to get mighty confusing (not that it’s not already)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Pyriel.4370

Simply put, Anet cannot be expected to know every tragedy that happens in regards to small local accidents but this one was blatantly in the news and it is insensitive to Europeans.

Is it so hard to admit the plane thing is a bit in bad taste or a little too soon?

Would this have happened after 9/11? Probably not. It would have been insensitive.

Posted by: Toast.1495

Toast.1495

This was friggin’ hilarious. I can’t stop myself laughing at the airplane noises as I run around.

Actually, seeing the response of the professionally offended, I can’t stop laughing at that, either.

“Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they’re yours.” ~ Illusions (Richard Bach).

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

In fact, more people die due to car crashes than plane crashes every year, by idk… 100 fold maybe more?

According to the Aircraft Crashes Record Office, and not including 2001 due to the 9/11 attacks, Aircraft fatalities top out at 1,582 in one between 1999 and 2013.

Over the same time, motor vehicle deaths top out at 43,510 in one year in the United States alone.

Eight Samurai.6840

This was friggin’ hilarious. I can’t stop myself laughing at the airplane noises as I run around.

Actually, seeing the response of the professionally offended, I can’t stop laughing at that, either.

VVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMRRRRROOOOOOOOO

lordkrall.7241

Simply put, Anet cannot be expected to know every tragedy that happens in regards to small local accidents but this one was blatantly in the news and it is insensitive to Europeans.

So suddenly because car accidents happen it is fine to be insensitive towards Europeans who might be affected by the plane crash and subsequent witch hunt over depressed people.

Is it so hard to admit the plane thing is a bit in bad taste or a little too soon?

But what about those people getting shot at basically EVERY SINGLE DAY? Isn’t it in that case also bad taste to have guns in the game?

Or the cities being bombed around the time Scarlet destroyed Lion’s Arch?

A tragedy is a tragedy no matter how much or how little it is talked about on the news. The fact that the news care more about certain type of tragedies than others doesn’t mean those tragedies are worse.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

And no one has yet got upset for my posts on here…. I guess it wasn’t worth my time to do so.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Hellworthy.1359

Hellworthy.1359

Oh no. A SINGLE DAY out of 365 have a little prank (that in no way or form make the game unplayable), how dare they?

It might not be hard to implement a toggle, but why waste the time, when the event will only ever be live for 24 hours?

You need to make up your mind. You’re claiming in previous posts that they’ve spent “months” developing this prank; if you’re correct (which you’re not), it would have been a very small aspect of that to make a simple function to reverse the actions. For that matter, why waste ‘months’ worth of development on a prank? It’s also not a waste of time to take a bit of consideration for those members of your player base that can’t get on every day out of 365. Excuse me for not being able to play very often. My mistake.

(edited by Hellworthy.1359)

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

people die everyday, from what ever reason, we all know that. I am just saying that 150 people died from a plane crash lol

and yes, merged forum post do suck for this reason, i thought what i said would of already been posted but i am not going to sit here and scroll though all of there’s post just to find it.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I’m rather disappointed with April Fool’s pranks so far in GW2. My favorites from years past were the Sex Change (2007), Mini/Max (2010), and Commando (2011).

If I could make one suggestion for ArenaNet, it would be to make any In-Game prank come with a toggle option to deactivate it. There are pranks like last year, with the bobbleheads that made some people sick. There are other pranks that people consider to be terribly insensitive. Then there are other pranks that while amusing for a time become incredibly tiresome after the first 5 minutes. Being able to turn it off if desired would be a good change from…

1. Enjoy this prank,
  2. Suffer through this prank, or
  3. GTFO the game.

Just my two cents.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

You are aware that roughly 150,000 people in the world die every single day and as such we can’t cease all humor everywhere every time some one dies, right?

i am aware that it is considered cool to play the delusioned hard guy and throw statistics arround to rationalise the death of people. i really wonder why people have to do this. i am also aware that many people that play mmo´s (judging from my servers TS channel) don´t give a dime for what happens in the real world. but i invite you to reconsider your point.

do i have the right to rationalise the death of people.
do i have to compare the importance of peoples death with one another?
do i have to attack people and call them either names or hypocrites because they stand for what they think are moral standards?
what are my moral standards?

and no i do not need more discussions along the lines, everyone dies, grow a pair, cry some more, they were only frensh/german/spanish.
there has been quit a lot of grief on both sides, as is normal in a forums discussion ( as we are not able to kick each others faces in, what seems to be what quite a lot of people in this forum seem to want) i don`t think either side will “win” anything by flaming each other.
Simply reconsider if you have to attack people as hypocrites for talking about deaths that they might care for just because you do not.

Posted by: recipesw.7453

recipesw.7453

I totally agree with the topic, it’s so annoying that it makes me extremely angry. I laughed when I first saw it, yes, but having this effect on the whole day is something I really dislike, at least make it deactivatable. I was going to continue the storyline today and did nothing of it just because of this annoying effect…….