Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cobalt.1846

cobalt.1846

I would love to see this come back simply as emote.. I would be good for when your waiting but don’t want to dance… You could simply have it doing airplanes in a circle.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

After a long hard day at work, I finally got home for GUILD WARS!!! I loaded it up and I was shocked. I thought my game was glitched. I WAS PANICKING. Then I found out it was April Fool’s. I was FURIOUS!!!! I was so upset that Arenanet would screw up my game like that. I’ve invested time and $ into this game and the April Fool’s joke had me seriously considering deleting the game. I was livid. Are there really any gamers ( over 12 years old) that enjoy that nonsense? That was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen a developer do to their game. I couldn’t even bring myself to play for 5 minutes. Wasted evening after such a hard day. THANKS (sarcasm) ARENANET FOR RUINING MY EVENING AND CAUSING MY BLOOD TO BOIL. I vote for whoever’s idea that was to be FIRED!!!!!

I hope you’re not being serious, because if you are, you really need to take an inward look at your anger issues. Lol.

Seriously though, it’s just a bit of fun on April Fools day. Try not to take it so seriously. I myself, and a lot of others, had fun with it. We did lots of recordings, posed in funny angle, used funny emotes and took lots of screenshots. Now it’s over and will be nothing more than a fun memory.

It’s just one day out of a whole year that you are, at most, somewhat inconvenienced or, at best, able to have a lot of silly fun. It’s a day of the year that you could simply play any other game if you’re not really into the April Fools jokes on GW2. If you can’t even tear yourself away from the game for one day without going into a complete fit of rage, however, then I would go as far as saying that you might be dangerously obsessed with GW2. So, with that in mind, I’ll just assume you were using sarcasm to take a dig at other commenters (hopefully).

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

i wonder what you guys would say if you were involved in this event

I would say freedom of art transcends my personal tragedy. And if I didn´t, because emotions would get the better of my personal values, that would maybe be a human reaction, but still not invalidate those values.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Here’s why you shouldn’t expect a toggle off option…when someone pranks you on April Fool’s Day do you get the option to opt out of it? No, so why should anyone expect to get the option to opt-out of A.nets April Fool’s Day joke on all of the players?

Here’s why you should expect a toggle off option:

When someone pranks you on April Fools Day, it never lasts a full 24 hours and when someone pranks you after 12 noon, traditionally, the joke is considered to be “on them”.

If you/ANet really do insist on people being pranked (whether they like it, or not) for a minimum period of time, then I guess the toggle could only become useable after, say, 5 minutes?

If people were asking to remove the prank entirely, from everyone, I would object to that as strongly as anyone.

No one has asked for that, however.

A toggle option hurts no one.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Tigaseye.2047

Here’s why you shouldn’t expect a toggle off option…when someone pranks you on April Fool’s Day do you get the option to opt out of it? No, so why should anyone expect to get the option to opt-out of A.nets April Fool’s Day joke on all of the players?

^ winner winner chicken dinner!

Nope.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

When someone pranks you on April Fools Day, it never lasts a full 24 hours and when someone pranks you after 12 noon, traditionally, the joke is considered to be “on them”.

Ah… then explain me this.

How do you cope with a game that covers all timezones? Hmmm?

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Some people like it. It was funny when I logged in til I realized that the pvp and wvw maps and dungeons were also like it.

PvP was excluded, no matches had the april fools effect. None of it.

Tigaseye.2047

But on April 1st, you don’t get to choose if pranks are played on you or not

Or you just stay home and disconnect.

Yeah, you stay home until noon (not for a full 24 hours) and/or get some less annoying friends.

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

After a long hard day at work, I finally got home for GUILD WARS!!! I loaded it up and I was shocked. I thought my game was glitched. I WAS PANICKING. Then I found out it was April Fool’s. I was FURIOUS!!!! I was so upset that Arenanet would screw up my game like that. I’ve invested time and $ into this game and the April Fool’s joke had me seriously considering deleting the game. I was livid. Are there really any gamers ( over 12 years old) that enjoy that nonsense? That was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen a developer do to their game. I couldn’t even bring myself to play for 5 minutes. Wasted evening after such a hard day. THANKS (sarcasm) ARENANET FOR RUINING MY EVENING AND CAUSING MY BLOOD TO BOIL. I vote for whoever’s idea that was to be FIRED!!!!!

Me? I doubt that you are over 12 years old…

Tigaseye.2047

Ah… then explain me this.

How do you cope with a game that covers all timezones? Hmmm?

Not really my problem how they cope with that.

Maybe they could use the clock in the game?

Ultimately, though, as long as it was toggle-able, I would be happy to forgive them their faux pas.

Styxx.1564

Not really your problem? Well guess what. Your annoyances are not really theirs either I guess.

It’s just 24h… Just a day. But it sounds like the end of the world for so many people.

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Thanks for that Anet, most hilarious wvw night in ages.

Attachments:

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

What i really don’t understand is how people can play a game and have so obviously no sense of fun whatsoever. What are you playing a game for if you can’t have fun? Silly, waste-of-time, irrational fun. No efficient farming, minmaxing, meta builds, grind gold, level up by crafting, speedclear dungeons.

Just spread your wings and fly. If you cannot smile about this, you might as well just not play games.

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

What i really don’t understand is how people can play a game and have so obviously no sense of fun whatsoever. What are you playing a game for if you can’t have fun?

I think they just go around the world farming herbs and delete their character if they kill anything.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Posted by: StarNightz.8496

StarNightz.8496

So wat was april fools evebt?

Kimditcher

Posted by: OldGreg.6428

OldGreg.6428

So..I sat down last night after a long hard day of work, I think to myself at least I can play my guildy wars. A smile spread across my face at the thought, I logged in and went to get some cereal while on the loading screen. I sit back down already eating a spoonful of my well earned cereal, that’s when I see it. My smile dropped, I could feel the adrenaline building. I spat my cereal onto my keyboard and literally screamed at the top of my voice. “ANET I AM OFFENDED!” I am not sure how long this lasted, as everything turned into a blurr. All I knew was that I had to find out why this was happening in my guildy wars, as I frantically tried to clean my keyboard in order to access the forums to find valuable info I knocked out the shift key. I screamed again and lunged for the key. On the way down I hit my head on the desk almost knocking me out cold. This was the last straw, I threw my cereal across the room, it hit my TV cracking the screen in the process. I roared with rage and in the confusion got tangled in the wires under my desk. I fell and grabbed my monitor on the way down which caught my speakers and both landed on top of me. As I lay there, tangled in wires, I thought of Anet, how dare they have the audacity to do this to my guildy wars. I let out one last roar “ANETTTTT!!!!! I AM OFFENDED!!!” before crying myself to sleep.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

What i really don’t understand is how people can play a game and have so obviously no sense of fun whatsoever. What are you playing a game for if you can’t have fun?

I think they just go around the world farming herbs and delete their character if they kill anything.

People’s idea of fun is different. What you perceive as fun some others will just perceive it as childish nonsense. That doesn’t mean they do not have fun, just that they have a more mature outlook when it comes to fun.

(edited by Azala Yar.7693)

Styxx.1564

Except that someone with a more “mature outlook” wouldn’t be whining about a game all day on forum, especially for an event that lasts only 24h.

That’s actually a very childish outlook.

Azala Yar.7693

Except that someone with a more “mature outlook” wouldn’t be whining about a game all day on forum, especially for an event that lasts only 24h.

If they didn’t voice an opinion then nobody would be any wiser that a lot of players didn’t like it.

It’s not childish to have an opinion and not be afraid to voice that opinion.

All they needed to do was have a means to turn it all off and then most likely there wouldn’t have been many complaints if any.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

If they didn’t voice an opinion then nobody would be any wiser that a lot of players didn’t like it.

All they needed to do was have a means to turn it all off and then most likely there wouldn’t have been many complaints if any.

so, why exactly are the people arguing against your point of view – having an opinion and voicing it – childish? Because they are not your opinion or opinions rubber-stamped by you? Ah, the good ol SJW trick, of cause, everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as I consider it politically correct.

Azala Yar.7693

so, why exactly are the people arguing against your point of view – having an opinion and voicing it – childish? Because they are not your opinion or opinions rubber-stamped by you? Ah, the good ol SJW trick, of cause, everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as I consider it politically correct.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, couldn’t agree more with that.

No, now you’re just trying to be clever. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, now with people as they are that would be a miracle.

Comments in-game
Comment from those that didn’t like it, ‘is there anyway to turn it off’

Comments from those that liked it, ‘you don’t have to play’, ‘turn the game off for 24 hours’.

Now which of those two groups is being more reasonable? I know which group I think is being more reasonable.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The group that accept that a SINGLE DAY each year have pranks and if you don’t like it you can take a break for that SINGLE DAY?

Pranks like these takes time and resources to make. Giving people the ability to simply turn it off at will, when it is only available for such a short time, is disrespectful for the people that spent their time working on it. Simple as that.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Now, I didn’t log in to the game to see this change, but from what I understand of how it went I imagine my reaction may have gone something like this…

Amusing for the first 5-20 minutes, annoying to continue listening to “Nyeeeaaaaa nyyyyeeeeaaaah” from my character continuously afterwards.

Azala Yar.7693

The group that accept that a SINGLE DAY each year have pranks and if you don’t like it you can take a break for that SINGLE DAY?

Pranks like these takes time and resources to make. Giving people the ability to simply turn it off at will, when it is only available for such a short time, is disrespectful for the people that spent their time working on it. Simple as that.

Really, disrespectful?

Could argue that it’s inconsiderate for a company to force something onto their customers without giving them an option to opt out.

An option that doesn’t include not playing for a day, as they’re entitled to play the game just as much as you are.

Azala Yar.7693

I’ll also point out, from your point of view it would also be disrespectful for them to log out for the day as they would also not be doing the content provided for the day.

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

Azala Yar.7693 you are entitled to nothing. Your access to the game wasn’t inhibited by your character being in a T pose.

Some people have such an outrageous entitlement complex.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

lordkrall.7241

Really, disrespectful?

Could argue that it’s inconsiderate for a company to force something onto their customers without giving them an option to opt out.

An option that doesn’t include not playing for a day, as they’re entitled to play the game just as much as you are.

Yes, I find it disrespectful. It is after all only a single day out of 365. It is not like we have this forced upon us a month or even a week. It is a single day.

You could play the game during the event as well. You might have CHOSEN to not play it, but it was in no way or form unplayable.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Azala Yar.7693

Really, disrespectful?

Yes, I find it disrespectful. It is after all only a single day out of 365. It is not like we have this forced upon us a month or even a week. It is a single day.

You could play the game during the event as well. You might have CHOSEN to not play it, but it was in no way or form unplayable.

I find your logic odd. That you think people shouldn’t play rather than the company giving people an option to opt out when they like.

I did play the game for about 8 hours in two 4 hour sessions.

I was sure glad when it was over.

For a lot of people it ruined their gaming experience for the day. It was kind of strange when I first logged on, thinking this is different, but the novelty factor didn’t last long, in my case around 10 minutes.

Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693 you are entitled to nothing. Your access to the game wasn’t inhibited by your character being in a T pose.

Some people have such an outrageous entitlement complex.

It’s not about entitlement it’s more about common sense and if ANet had exercised common sense they would have added an opt out.

As I said in another post it did ruin a lot of players gaming experience for the day. That has nothing to do with entitlement.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I logged on and did my dailies in about 10 minutes. Halfway, the joke had gotten old. I didn’t even bother cleaning out my character’s inventory when I was done, which I always do before logging off.

Not funny at all, annoying as hell. Oh well, I got to spend some more time on other things.

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

This is really the full extent of what a company of Anets size and resources can do? All airplane mode was essentially was to deliberately put the character into a bug state as that is what characters do if their animations do not load properly, then add stupid sounds and a screen filter any decent home video editor coul produce. Just offends me they’d do something so cheap and amateurish.

lordkrall.7241

This is really the full extent of what a company of Anets size and resources can do? All airplane mode was essentially was to deliberately put the character into a bug state as that is what characters do if their animations do not load properly, then add stupid sounds and a screen filter any decent home video editor coul produce. Just offends me they’d do something so cheap and amateurish.

Ah yes. They should of course pull 20 people away from working on the expansion in order to work on a thing available for a single day then gone forever.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Well, this year April Fools was a disaster, lets hope next year will be an improvement.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

…THANKS (sarcasm) ARENANET FOR RUINING MY EVENING AND CAUSING MY BLOOD TO BOIL. …

No one ruined your evening but yourself. You chose to respond the way you did. Take responsibility for your own happiness.

Lazuli.2098

What i really don’t understand is how people can play a game and have so obviously no sense of fun whatsoever. What are you playing a game for if you can’t have fun? Silly, waste-of-time, irrational fun. No efficient farming, minmaxing, meta builds, grind gold, level up by crafting, speedclear dungeons.

Just spread your wings and fly. If you cannot smile about this, you might as well just not play games.

I think some people don’t know how to “play”. They compete.

Edit: I think in the future Anet should provide a toggle to opt out of the April Fool’s prank for those who want to play as usual. I know I just went for my dailies and didn’t really take advantage of the opportunity for fun that Anet provided. I would have appreciated to play as normal. But when I logged into the forums and saw how much fun some players had, how creative they were with using this joke, I envied and admired them. I’m looking forward to next April fool’s joke and I also hope Anet adds an airplane potion.

(edited by Lazuli.2098)

Azala Yar.7693

…THANKS (sarcasm) ARENANET FOR RUINING MY EVENING AND CAUSING MY BLOOD TO BOIL. …

No one ruined your evening but yourself. You chose to respond the way you did. Take responsibility for your own happiness.

So they ruined their evening (and during the day) by playing GW2.

They didn’t choose to respond the way they did, they couldn’t have responded any other way. You either found it funny or didn’t and if you didn’t find it funny like I didn’t it was not a very pleasant experience.

Again it comes down to having no opt out.

So ANet if you read this, next time at least add an option to opt out when people have had enough of the joke.

Lazuli.2098

No, by responding as they did.

They didn’t choose to respond the way they did, they couldn’t have responded any other way. You either found it funny or didn’t and if you didn’t find it funny like I didn’t it was not a very pleasant experience.

OK, so you both did not find it pleasant, but did you also choose to respond in a rage?

It is not external stimulus that determines our happiness but how we choose to respond to it. The same truly tragic event can happen to different people, say loosing a limb. Some learn to overcome it and to use it to grow and make a happier and more fulfilled life. Others let the event “ruin their life”.

We choose, although some like to think they have no choice – it’s always someone or something else’s fault.

Azala Yar.7693

No, by responding as they did.

OK, so you both did not find it pleasant, but did you also choose to respond in a rage?

It is not external stimulus that determines our happiness but how we choose to respond to it. The same truly tragic event can happen to different people, say loosing a limb. Some learn to overcome it and to use it to grow and make a happier and more fulfilled life. Others let the event “ruin their life”.

We choose, although some like to think they have no choice – it’s always someone or something else’s fault.

I don’t tend to use rage as a response, prefer a more logical argument.

Let’s look at it this way, you’re in a room filled with sounds that irritates you, do you just sit there and decide you will like the sounds, or will those sounds continue to irritate you? For me they would continue to irritate me.

You could say leave the room, which is in effect don’t play the game. But that’s not an acceptable solution.

You could turn the sound off, but then the overall gaming experience is diminished. Playing games with no sound is not great either (maybe a matter of taste or with some people no choice).

Having a character with their arms up all the time is also irritating to some people as it’s just completely stupid to them. Stupid doesn’t always equal funny.

Which brings us back to there needed to be an opt out option.

It’s not the players fault, the fault is with ANet for not thinking it through fully and neglecting to add an opt out option.

(edited by Azala Yar.7693)

Lazuli.2098

Let’s look at it this way, you’re in a room filled with sounds that irritates you, do you just sit there and decide you will like the sounds, or will those sounds continue to irritate you? For me they would continue to irritate me.

You could say leave the room, which is in effect don’t play the game. But that’s not an acceptable solution.

You could turn the sound off, but then the overall gaming experience is diminished. Playing games with no sound is not great either (maybe a matter of taste or with some people no choice).

Having a character with their arms up all the time is also irritating to some people as it’s just completely stupid to them. Stupid doesn’t always equal funny.

It’s not the players fault, the fault is with ANet for not thinking it through fully and neglecting to add an opt out option.

An option to opt out would have been nice and appreciated by many. I was certainly glad that I could log out and back in to get rid of the bobble heads last year, which I found way more irritating. But we don’t always get what we want. How we respond is our choice. (And not playing is a valid option.)

Azala Yar.7693

An option to opt out would have been nice and appreciated by many. I was certainly glad that I could log out and back in to get rid of the bobble heads last year, which I found way more irritating. But we don’t always get what we want. How we respond is our choice. (And not playing is a valid option.)

Not playing is a player option, but it isn’t the solution. The solution would have been the opt out had ANet implemented one.

Gamers like to game, they’re usually not happy if they can’t.

Posted by: Derez.6510

Derez.6510

Absolutely loved the Anet April Fools Day!!!!

I logged in for some SAB and waited and waited, then the screen color changed and my arms stuck out and I got a stupid looking hat.

I still waited for about 15 minutes and still no SAB, so I figured this would go on for the next 24 hours or so I logged off for 24 hours.

I usually play GW2 4 to 10 hours a day… So I stared at my desk for a bit, then thought… I can go do something.
I mowed and edged the lawn.
I went to the hardware store and got some weed-n-feed, then fixed up the lawn even more.
While in my garage I found a box with my broken Pioneer laser disc karaoke machine — I fixed it — now we can do some singing.
Then I setup my old school Pioneer receiver and EQ with a Technics record player. LP goodness
Moved an antenna from the small attic to the big attic and put a signal booster inline. Free HD OTA
Washed the wifes car and mine also.
Went to the park with my son and a few of his friends and passed the football around.

I forgot that there are more fun things to do than play GW 2 all day.

I’m now cutting back to a couple hours of GW 2 per day.

I’m not putting Anet down because of their stupid April Fools but giving them a big thumbs up and a hearty thank you.

But…. when HOT comes out… I will probably be back up to 10 hours a day

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

If you/ANet really do insist on people being pranked (whether they like it, or not) for a minimum period of time, then I guess the toggle could only become useable after, say, 5 minutes?

If people were asking to remove the prank entirely, from everyone, I would object to that as strongly as anyone.

You must live under a rock, go check YouTube if you don’t believe me that some April Fool’s Day jokes last 24 hours, or do a Google search, it’s not unheard of. As the other person pointed out, this is a Global game, that operates in ALL time zones as well as both sides of the International Date Line, so no, in order for it to work properly it needs to run for a full 24 hours, if not longer(personally I think it should have run from 12:00:01 a.m. on the 1st until 12:00:00 p.m. on the 1st PST, but that would have meant a little extra coding).

Besides, I’ll bet you can log into any other online game that does April Fool’s Day pranks and not find a toggle off option either, it’s the companies game, can the employees not have fun at the expense of the players?

All the complaining also proves how so many people don’t have a sense of humor anymore. If you can’t laugh at anything or yourself, you’ve got serious issues that playing a game won’t solve. You can find the humor in ANY situation, even terrible tragedies, though people will think you’re insensitive, what other people think about you is unimportant, it’s what you think about yourself that matters.

(edited by Zaklex.6308)

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

i wonder what you guys would say if you were involved in this event

If I were involved in this event I assume I would be dead, and as such I would not care what happened in a video game. I would no longer care about anything at all.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

You must live under a rock, go check YouTube if you don’t believe me that some April Fool’s Day jokes last 24 hours, or do a Google search, it’s not unheard of.

April Fool’s is about pulling pranks on people. Jokes are over the exact moment people realize they’ve been pranked, and then they get on with their day. It may take some people the better part of a day to realize they’re being pranked, and that’s fine, well done prankster.

This though was nothing like that. No one was fooled, pranked or misled in an amusing fashion. It was funny for a few minutes, but the rest of the 24 hours it was an annoyance that drove me away from the game for the day.

They pulled some good ones in GW the first. I fondly remember the transgender day. I did a doubletake when I logged in for the first time and had a great time logging on all my characters and grinning at how they looked gender-reversed. Also, it didn’t interfere with play at all. It only worked in cities, not while adventuring.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

How about we just lock this nonstop complaining and nonsense now? The event is over and won’t be coming back given all these tears.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You must live under a rock, go check YouTube if you don’t believe me that some April Fool’s Day jokes last 24 hours, or do a Google search, it’s not unheard of. As the other person pointed out, this is a Global game, that operates in ALL time zones as well as both sides of the International Date Line, so no, in order for it to work properly it needs to run for a full 24 hours, if not longer(personally I think it should have run from 12:00:01 a.m. on the 1st until 12:00:00 p.m. on the 1st PST, but that would have meant a little extra coding).

Besides, I’ll bet you can log into any other online game that does April Fool’s Day pranks and not find a toggle off option either, it’s the companies game, can the employees not have fun at the expense of the players?

All the complaining also proves how so many people don’t have a sense of humor anymore. If you can’t laugh at anything or yourself, you’ve got serious issues that playing a game won’t solve. You can find the humor in ANY situation, even terrible tragedies, though people will think you’re insensitive, what other people think about you is unimportant, it’s what you think about yourself that matters.

Having fun at another’s expense is not really a good thing.

Its a bit of a stretch to go from a desire to be able to skip something that one does not enjoy to , “youve got serious issues that a game wont solve.”

Its also a bit odd for you to go from attempting to psychoanalyze people based on their dislike of a single game event to telling them that others’ opinions of them dont matter.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Many others had April Fools pranks:

http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/01/your-mmo-april-fools-roundup/

It makes me wonder how many were QQing over those….

Posted by: devilzard.3850

devilzard.3850

April Fools?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZcDW-3XNqk
I was just running around for hours around with Top Gun OST. I still wonder how people could dislike this particular one…