Play for Free Confirmed [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

If GW2 truly had the “friendliest” community i’m sure the huge influx of bored WOW players will make it the happiest place on earth. I just can’t wait to see how much fun it will be with trolls everywhere.

(and chat isn’t the only or even the best way to troll, just the LFG tool itself is proof of that!)

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I will be on soon. need to get Hero Points on my Necro. So I am willing to allow low levels to stick with me as I explore some parts of the map. Just PM me or whatever way you have to contact me in the game.

Posted by: x indigo x.6981

x indigo x.6981

good lord teh salt is real … it’s just like any company with their products people. One day the sell it for $100 the other day they sell for $10, maybe next year they package it as buy one get one free .. it doesn’t matter ! It’s product and they’re selling it.. you’re bought 3 fun years .. if they weren’t fun, you wouldn’t still be here whining about it.

Products go sales ALL THE TIME .. just because you bought before the sale started doesn’t give you ANY legitimacy in arguing “i got ripped off” .. this is a capitalist market.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Ok, you made me really laugh.
I’m listening, trying to prove to me how.

I suppose you reading the actual restrictions are too much to ask?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Why are people so mad about F2P? F2P players are limited like crazy… O.o

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

it’s a free trial . the free2play word is just a sugar-coating.

So when does the trial expire?

When you buy the game.

Oh so if I don’t buy it it never runs out? I might actually try this game out then.

How are you posting in these forums if you don’t have a paid version of the game?

Sorry. I was just having fun with some of the things people say on here. Basically acting like a dunce to see what replies I got.

Thanks though now I have the giggles from your reply

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

(edited by briggah.7910)

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

i dunno… why this thread reached 25 pages is beyond me… we have posted the restrictions a bunch of times. Nothing is going to be adversely affected by it economy wise so….

maybe some people just want to watch the world burn….

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

i dunno… why this thread reached 25 pages is beyond me… we have posted the restrictions a bunch of times. Nothing is going to be adversely affected by it economy wise so….

maybe some people just want to watch the world burn….

Unfortunately, we gamers are extremely cheap it seems, as well as entitled.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

F2P accounts have no access to /map ever. If you want to type in /map, then you need to buy the game.

ah, well that sucks then, blocking it until a certain level would deal with alot of the gold selling annoyance.

While true, it should be a VERY high lvl to hinder goldsellers at all, lvl 5 or 10 wont do anything, should be at least like 50 or higher of gold sellers would easily find ways to bot up to the needed lvles in very little time

The trouble is, by the time you get to that level, you’ve probably figured it out mostly for yourself – or just given up trying.
They should have rolled out this mentor system with the F2P introduction, so that new players at least have obvious friendly helpers to whisper for assistance.

Posted by: arakkune.1429

arakkune.1429

So the base game is free to play what are you people’s impressions from it I havent noticed anything out of the ordinary no bot spam no nothing I went to metrica province and saw there were some new players but from my point of view the game hasnt boomed with f2p like most others mmos(at least first weeks). So discuss im rly interested in opinions considering how noone wanted this to happen

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

So the base game is free to play what are you people’s impressions from it I havent noticed anything out of the ordinary no bot spam no nothing I went to metrica province and saw there were some new players but from my point of view the game hasnt boomed with f2p like most others mmos(at least first weeks). So discuss im rly interested in opinions considering how noone wanted this to happen

Already a mammoth thread on this topic, which I suspect this thread will merge with.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I dislike that ANet insists on calling it p4f instead of f2p

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

It’s best just not to be loyal to companies in the first place. Exchange your money for their product if you wish, but they are not your friend.

This exactly. Loyalty to a company is meaningless, and they do not owe you anything for it.

If I’ve said it before, I’ve said it a million times: THIS IS A VIDEO GAME. And beyond that, it is a video game that costs the price of a standard AAA game yet provides thousands of hours of entertainment. You’ve gotten your money’s worth. All else is bonus, and you ought to be kittening grateful, because you aren’t going to find a better MMO experience out there.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: master of da elements.9425

master of da elements.9425

What id like to know is if this is like what they did in GW where u had a time restriction or its forever

possessions 9/10ths of the law the other tenth’s a tank and I got both -Sarge Red vs Blue

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

All i can say is, i’m meating allot of new people, and i’m making new friends.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

Boy is that super convenient for Anet, nope, no way gem store is changing, for sure.

…we need gold to leave the game, not more flow in. Seriously Anet, why?

Posted by: Slyther.1297

Slyther.1297

A friend of mine just downloaded the game because it’s now F2P, and he tells me the button to switch world is greyed out and so he cannot pick mine. He says he got put onto Borlis Pass.

The tooltip on the button implies he’ll get a free world change if he buys the game, but why restrict their choice to begin with?

I had told him which server to join before his download even finished, and it seems he was never presented the option to pick the server he wanted.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

my guess is that it’s to stop free account spamming in WvW. With free accounts it would be very easy to overload maps so that legit players can’t get in, drain supplies, etc. Also, spying in WvW was probably a concern, but realistically spying happens all day every day anyway so that one’s a moot point.

Considering WvW is the only game mode where your choice of server matters at all any more they should probably just rename them to “WvW team” for clarity.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Slyther.1297

Spying will be an issue no matter what.
F2P accounts have to get to level 60 before they can even enter, so spamming shouldn’t be an issue.
Should my friend want to try out WvW in the future, I want to be able to play with him.
I told him to send in a ticket, so we’ll see if ANet will change his server for him.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

err.. did your friend try to get into a full server ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I created a free to play account just to try things out. I was able to select my home server at first log-on. Granted I wasn’t able to select the one I wanted because it was full, but I was able to pick from all other available servers, both on NA and EU. If he deletes all characters, I believe he’s still able to switch servers.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I was able to pick any not Full server when I made a free account, and I could choose EU or NA. Your friend probably chose Borlis Pass without really paying attention. Keep in mind that if you’re on a Full server, your friend will have a very hard time getting onto that same server.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

A friend of mine just downloaded the game because it’s now F2P, and he tells me the button to switch world is greyed out and so he cannot pick mine. He says he got put onto Borlis Pass.

The tooltip on the button implies he’ll get a free world change if he buys the game, but why restrict their choice to begin with?

I had told him which server to join before his download even finished, and it seems he was never presented the option to pick the server he wanted.

Your friend wasn’t paying enough attention. Also, if you are on a full server, he isn’t going to be able to join you anyways for WvW.

Slyther.1297

Transfers are greyed out, the delete all characters trick (He hadn’t even made one yet) won’t work.
The server I’m on is also not full.
Either way, I got him to send in a ticket.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Sounds like it’s working as intended. There’s no reason to overburden already full servers and you have to be level 60+ to even access WvW which is really the only reason to even care about which server you’re on at this point.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

From what they said in a previous post, f2p accounts can’t transfer once they choose a world. It would probably be a lot faster for him to make a new account and try again, rather than waiting days for Support to move him, if they will. They might just tell him to make another account.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the F2P accounts only get to select a home world once (hence the note about how you can change worlds when you upgrade when you hover over the greyed out World Selection button). Your friend could always just abandon that account and start a new one, using a different email address, to play on your server.

Slyther.1297

Yeah he just told me he’s going to just make a new account.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

You could make your own F2P account just to show him the ropes.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Just wanted to say that F2P players are really funny – it’s like watching bots – they try to destroy everything with their skill 1 while not saying anything at all. I rezzed one of them 4 times during 100 game metres – but I really had no time, needed to finish my dailies, so the 5th time he sadly died.
I remember having been similar when I started out but back then it was just me and my guild, now it’s hordes behaving like that – and yeah this is with a laughing and crying eye.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I made one and you can pick a server to join. Of course the one my main is on is full so I picked one of the low pop servers. This was Sunday I think.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

First of all Borlis Pass is a fantastic server with a tight knit community that has never been ravaged by transfers or server collapses.

It is pound for pound one of the best servers in the game (meaning it does a lot with not a lot of people). This week the server is losing, and going to place third, but the server overall has one of the best records, due to its ability to pull out second place finishes when all seems lost. (The server has a never-quit community of diehards).

I think your friend will love it on Borlis Pass, and maybe it is you who should transfer to play with him! (Transfers to Borliss Pass are in the cheapest tier, but Borlis Pass is one of the highest ranked servers with the cheap transfers)

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

ESO on sale for $40 which is cheaper than xpac for all those that are upset. Go put a couple years into another buy 2 play game that will probably go free faster then this game did. :P

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

As a free account does not receive daily login rewards it is impossible to aquire laurels. Is that working as inteded or a oversight? It means they have only a very limited way of getting ascended amulets (only the Triforge Pendant) and ascended accessories (only the ones from dungeon achievements).

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Can’t you get them with commendations? And rings in fractals? Also wvw/EotM uses badges and ectos, not laurels right?

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

MegumiAzusa.2918

There is the option of commendations for accessories, not amulets. I already never mentioned rings, as I know they’re just 10 relics. WvW is just less laurels and a few hundred badges, but still laurels.
So okay it’s only the amulets where you only can get the Triforge Pendant on a free account, though I’m a bit unsure if you can get to SW to get Jurah’s Jewel and Wynne’s Locket.

(edited by MegumiAzusa.2918)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You get laurels from achievement chests as well.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

MegumiAzusa.2918

You get laurels from achievement chests as well.

Considering you want to spend it on an amulet (30 laurels) and get some infusion for it (20 laurels) you need 10k achievement points for that.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If they are so far along in the game as to need ascended accessories, then they should be seriously considering buying the game anyway. That way they’ll have access to the laurels. If not, they’ll have to use the rings from fractals.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

So, arenanet, really quick to push that pre-purchase…I hope you’re just as excited about my disinterest in buying gems.

I’m not…upset…I am a little scared. There was a poster some time ago that called for this very exact thing. MMO’s come and go and that most of those MMO’s have this tendency to become free to play (by way of some trial) just before that inevitable…no longer a viable MMO.

Consider, Perfect world and Neverwinter…both great to play…both will never see nor have seen a penny out of my wallet.

I guess…I’m disappointed—god I really wish I could find that post where some user was mentioning this VERY exact thing.

Gw2 will eventually turn permanently free top play and it will just kind of be..one of THOSE MMO’s. It’d be like if Paypal released an MMO featuring all new paywall content.

I mean the good thing is most of the crap you can directly and listlessly buy with gems everyone has to as well but…I think it’s quite funny how ArenaNet begs to differ regarding its “business model” but it’s actually pretty F***ing worse for those of us who continue to play…over time.

They haven’t changed anything except instead of making the new players pay out initially they displaced that on to existing players and reward them english style cookies (dry/crispy) and no milk. :/

If you have 10 expansions of GW2 the person who’s played and PAYED for all 10 of them B****es would have spent 500-600 dollars while the new guy hanging out and just picked up the game for 50-60 bucks just got all ten of them for 50-60 bucks.

It doesn’t seem like people are looking out far enough to see just how WRONG this is. I’d much rather just have a subscription and have a well tailored game versus all this Bull**** to try and finagle money from it’s players left and right just to have the ball, forget about getting and keeping it rolling, that’s a whole other struggle.

But like I said…I really hope ArenaNet is just as excited about my not spending money on Gems. F*** a bunch of that noise. It’s hard for me to want to monetarily support a seemingly dying MMO.

Free2Play spelled backwards is scam. A hard free trial, is ok that has a definite end.
But just letting players turn tricks all in the streets…no charge? Nope

great news, so i just have to wait about 10 years without playing GW2 an I can save 500 $ – in this time all my playing friends can tell me what is new and so I even don´t miss anything …cool
you saved me a lot of $

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

If they are so far along in the game as to need ascended accessories, then they should be seriously considering buying the game anyway. That way they’ll have access to the laurels. If not, they’ll have to use the rings from fractals.

THIS!

MegumiAzusa.2918

For fractals you only have to be lvl 80, which is a few days, and from there you can get to a point quite fast where you need the AR.

Just a flesh wound.3589

For fractals you only have to be lvl 80, which is a few days, and from there you can get to a point quite fast where you need the AR.

I don’t think you are getting the point of the f2p accounts and the restrictions on them. The f2p account is basically a glorified trial account. It’s not going to have all the advantages of a full account and never should have them. The point of this type of account is to let people try the game for free and let them see the carrots (such as the laurels) that the paid for accounts provides. If the f2p person wants the advantages of the full account then he should pay for a full account. And that includes laurels, which is one of the big advantages of a full account.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

for fractals you also should use sigills and runes that fits which you cant buy as a f2p from tp!

MegumiAzusa.2918

Yup so basically as a free player (or just one who wants to play with friends who are on a different continent (US/EU)) you can basically do anything but fractals, at least for quite a while.

Posted by: fFamous.8720

fFamous.8720

f2p player can buy runes and sigils on TP?

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

If you have 10 expansions of GW2 the person who’s played and PAYED for all 10 of them B****es would have spent 500-600 dollars while the new guy hanging out and just picked up the game for 50-60 bucks just got all ten of them for 50-60 bucks.

It doesn’t seem like people are looking out far enough to see just how WRONG this is. I’d much rather just have a subscription and have a well tailored game versus all this Bull**** to try and finagle money from it’s players left and right just to have the ball, forget about getting and keeping it rolling, that’s a whole other struggle.

I’m not gonna go into the rest of the rant, but this part here caught my eye. Let’s do a little math!
Let’s be generous and say 10 dollar subscription a month and one expansion a year (which is quite unrealistic). So we have 120 bucks a year for 10 years (at which point the 10th expac comes out, which would add some more months of play, but for simplicity let’s stay at 10 years). Makes a grand total of 1200 dollars. Don’t know about you, but 500-600 dollars sounds like a hell of a lot better deal to me than more than 1k.

And now let’s imagine a player getting into the game at the time of the 10th expansion. They play for 6 months to a total of 60$ in subsription fees, but have all the content you have now paid 1260$ for. Oh noes, how unfair right?

Posted by: Chris McSwag.4683

Chris McSwag.4683

lvl to 80, do fractal scale 1-9 daily for 20 days (or 1-9 + 11 for 10 days).
Use your 20 pristines to buy two ascended rings
Profit

But yeah, i dont really see any point to do it much on a free account. If you hit 80 and like what the game has to offer, simply upgrade

[eS] Ethereal Synergy
DPS Benchmarks, Raids, Low-mans etc.

Posted by: DaniTheHero.6318

DaniTheHero.6318

I’ve made a new character when F2P was released to play with a F2P friend who joined. And i was overwhelmed by the amount of players around me.
Which made me wonder,how many new players actually joined after the F2P was released?

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Been discussed before. There are options to get ascended trinkets/weapons/armor without any use of laurels.