Wheres New Content?? (State of the Game) [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MegiddoZO.3409

MegiddoZO.3409

The developers are heads-down working on the future content releases. We are also in the middle of launching the game in China. Launching a game in a new country is kind of a big deal. Because of the team’s focus on game development, they are not able to dedicate as much time out of their workday to posting on the forums. While they might have time to read the forums, they don’t necessarily have time to engage in discussion.

I know it’s hard to be patient in this down time between Living World seasons, but please bear with us. As much as you’re craving new content to play, the team is dying for you to play it.

Unfortunately, I can’t give you any information about future content, whether it’s plot spoilers or timeline. I can say that, as a player, I am very excited about the next season, and I cannot wait to see what you all think about it.

Please know that your feedback continues to be important, our devs are still reading (though they may not have time to respond), and we sincerely appreciate your support and you sharing all your thoughts with us (critical or otherwise).

Couldn’t you at the very least give us a speculation of -when- we get updates again? Is it a case of weeks? a month?

Posted by: Vunter.6245

Vunter.6245

The developers are heads-down working on the future content releases. We are also in the middle of launching the game in China. Launching a game in a new country is kind of a big deal. Because of the team’s focus on game development, they are not able to dedicate as much time out of their workday to posting on the forums. While they might have time to read the forums, they don’t necessarily have time to engage in discussion.

I know it’s hard to be patient in this down time between Living World seasons, but please bear with us. As much as you’re craving new content to play, the team is dying for you to play it.

Unfortunately, I can’t give you any information about future content, whether it’s plot spoilers or timeline. I can say that, as a player, I am very excited about the next season, and I cannot wait to see what you all think about it.

Please know that your feedback continues to be important, our devs are still reading (though they may not have time to respond), and we sincerely appreciate your support and you sharing all your thoughts with us (critical or otherwise).

Though I am surprised the thread actually received a response, I am not at all shocked at the response given.

So not only have we received two long breaks one prior feature patch and one after feature patch, but both times we received no approx time for new content. As a long and valued player having no timeline on when to expect patches, even approx makes it harder for me to want to spend time in the game. I really only login to either do dailies or a fractal, then I just log out.

My Anet friend the feedback I give to you is PLEASE communicate with your player-base besides saying “be patient it’s gonna come.” I understand being hush hush and what it will entail for stories and spoiler, but the main point of the thread is WHEN not WHAT.

An important business statistic is customer acquisition. Once a player leaves it’s going to cost your business more to reacquire them in the future. Please consider at least telling your player-base the month or even how many months out. Do you think it is smart for your company to refrain from communicating to its players when you have major competitors on the horizon, that being ESO and Wildstar that have fresh new content?

Based on your reply I assume 3-4 months from the April 15th. So July or August.

(edited by Vunter.6245)

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

We already know that they want to release LS season 2 in EU/NA and China . I think that we will see season 2 about 1 month after the china release.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Thaia.5146

Thaia.5146

—SNIP—
As much as you’re craving new content to play, the team is dying for you to play it.
—SNIP—

The team is dying for you to enjoy it.
Fixed that for you.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

With all the hype that never coalesced into decent content I simply won’t accept another round of “Just wait, it’ll be awesome when it arrives!” ANet hasn’t delivered on that phrase yet and I won’t be holding my breath for it.

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

no one is saying we want content now, we understand that it takes time particularly if you want to put quality and polish content which i am hoping for. the problem is lack of communication with player base properly. for example: rift players know that expansion #2 is coming late this year, same goes for wow and other games just check mmorpg.com or any other mmo related websites to see many of those games considering to be triple A are actually announcing state of the game specially if they are 20 months old already.
silence is like we have nothing worth mentioning for now, wait for us to put something together.
this how some replied to me when i brought this problem up in my post:
and you know what it has no sub fee so its all ok come back whenever there is content. play other games do not ask for quality content and proper support and communication because you are not paying sub fee understood.

(edited by saye.9304)

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

No, no. That argument doesn’t work. I never again want to hear “you don’t pay for it so shut up.” We DO pay for it. This game wouldn’t exist if people weren’t paying for it. We have every right to complain. And don’t use the “Well, if you don’t like it, don’t pay for it. And now that you’re not paying for it, shut up, because you’re not paying for it.” If I didn’t care, I would just stop playing. But I do care about the game. That’s why I come to the forums, and try to offer up constructive criticism, even if I fail at times. This game isn’t run by anet as a charity. They make a profit off of us, the players. If no one ever bought gems, how many updates do you think this game would get? Just one, to shut down the servers. (gw1 is cheaper to run, so it can exist in perpetuity). Players have the right, and the duty to bring up problems they have with the game. The devs don’t have to implement all of our suggestions, but they at least have to pretend like they’re listening, and right now, they don’t even give us that. What other company goes virtually silent after dropping a major feature patch?

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

No, no. That argument doesn’t work. I never again want to hear “you don’t pay for it so shut up.” We DO pay for it. This game wouldn’t exist if people weren’t paying for it. We have every right to complain. And don’t use the “Well, if you don’t like it, don’t pay for it. And now that you’re not paying for it, shut up, because you’re not paying for it.” If I didn’t care, I would just stop playing. But I do care about the game. That’s why I come to the forums, and try to offer up constructive criticism, even if I fail at times. This game isn’t run by anet as a charity. They make a profit off of us, the players. If no one ever bought gems, how many updates do you think this game would get? Just one, to shut down the servers. (gw1 is cheaper to run, so it can exist in perpetuity). Players have the right, and the duty to bring up problems they have with the game. The devs don’t have to implement all of our suggestions, but they at least have to pretend like they’re listening, and right now, they don’t even give us that. What other company goes virtually silent after dropping a major feature patch?

i made joke by saying that, but wrote post against that logic and people who think that way they answered me like that. do u want to meet them here is my post.
if it takes subscription
thats title i dont know how to link it but if want to meet such people you find plenty there.

(edited by saye.9304)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

For the love of god, Buy more employees. More people= job will be done faster. = Profit!

I am rather sure that slavery is illegal in most parts of the world.

Aside from that adding more people doesn’t automatically mean things gets done faster. Not everyone can do everything, and every new person they hire will need to learn the code and so on before they can start working, which takes time from both the new employee and the ones having to mentor said employee.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Not sure why the payers outside of china have to sit on our hands while china ramps up. I would have expected a new revenue stream to have additional staff to support it.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

lordkrall.7241

Not sure why the payers outside of china have to sit on our hands while china ramps up. I would have expected a new revenue stream to have additional staff to support it.

So you suggest that they hire a bunch of staff with a revenue stream that they don’t actually have until they have launched it, to help launching it?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

So you suggest that they hire a bunch of staff with a revenue stream that they don’t actually have until they have launched it, to help launching it?

Yes, that’s how it works. You start with investment. Otherwise GW2 would never been born.

In this case they risk losing NA/EU customers by diverting resources. It sends a bad message to the player base.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

lordkrall.7241

Yes, that’s how it works. You start with investment. Otherwise GW2 would never been born.

In this case they risk losing NA/EU customers by diverting resources. It sends a bad message to the player base.

There is a rather big difference between making an investment before a product is released and when a product is expanding however.

They might lose a couple of NA/EU customers (entitled people that feel the need to have constant updates about everything) but at the same time most likely gaining a much larger group of new customers.

Another thing to keep in mind is that ArenaNet does not hold the money. NCSoft does, and for NCSoft the current priority (and rightly so) is to focus on getting a as close to perfect launch as possible in the largest MMO market in the world.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Shadowmoon.7986

Shadowmoon.7986

[/quote]
Blackmoone Faire was not weekly when it was first released, not even close, it was for X period of time, then it was gone until next year. Then you might as well count Dragon Bash, Gauntlet, Zephyr Sanctum, every mini-game they’ve added, SAB.

Not to mention Southsun Shore, an entire zone.

3 battle grounds? EoTM is as big as all three of those BGs combined (in addition to the already giant WvW maps we had at release).

10 world bosses huh, which were farmed much the same way the world bosses in GW2 are being farmed, and GW2 has more of them. Even worse in WoW those bosses were farmed by the same guilds over and over, leaving everyone else out in the dust. Was good of them to add content that the majority of people never got to experience.

Mauradon and Dire Maul I’ll give you, but both of those combined are less than all of FoTM combined.
[/quote]
Blackmoone fair was a monthly event, lasted a week, came back next month. I never mentioned it was weekly, only the fishing event on sundays. Wow still had holliday events.
Wow did not added an incomplete zone like gw2, they just completed a incomplete zone, Sithilus. So wow fixed a boring zone that people only farmed to be a good quest hub with things to do including a raid instance. Gw added a boring zone the people only farm karka in.
Comparing EotM and WvW is the BG is dumb. I could understand comparing it to AV or open world pvp (which every zone in wow can have pvp in it) . WG and AB can be compared to spvp, but after a year and half latter we still only have conquest, no capture the flag or any other game types (besides a basic team death match). Anet has added maps but no new gameplay options.
I find it funny that you compare the world bosses of wow where you had to have team coordination and strategy to the zerg, autoattack, and loot bosses of this game. This game only has 2 strategy world bosses, teq and worm. And guess what, if your not in the few guild that farm those bosses, you are left out in the dust, just like wow.
And FOTM is so much less than the 5 raids they wow put out. There is no difficult content for coordinated groups can do. Heck with the introduction of the Megaserver, they have made it hard for coordinated groups to form.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am not defining what is grind or what is fun for other people

Actually yes you are. In the following statement you define whether or not someone will find an activity more (or less) fun.

the reward will not make the activity itself any more or less fun

I completely understand that rewards may not make an activity more fun to you…but what is or is not fun for you has no bearing whatsoever on what someone you do not know finds fun.

You may not have encountered them but there are people out there for whom the rewards are an inherent and integral part of whether or not something is fun. The act of winning the drop lottery, or accumulating in game wealth, or the like is actually fun for them.

As to grind…what is grind to you may not be to me. For example, I rather enjoyed certain GW1 solo farms that my friends considered too much of a grind to bother with. For me the very same repetitive activity that bored others were an interesting challenge to improve my completion times, increase my kill rate, etc. Managing to knock three seconds off my best time was FUN ! The rewards (more than fifteen thousand ectos) didn’t hurt either.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Any updates on this month’s patch?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

IMO – the Living Story can’t do justice to what I personally want to see… The other Dragons and the areas they are in.

I was always hoping we would get expansion packs with a “Dragon Chapter” in each, and then after those, maybe some completely new areas we’ve never seen before.

To me, that was an easy four or five expansions at $60 a pop.

But, lets say they use the LS to add the other Dragons. How will that work out for players joining later? Or alts that want to finish off those dragons as well? Will they add those in quick made Dungeons/Instances rather than lasting stories that show more of the devastation they’ve brought?

I just don’t see the LS bringing justice to what I know Anet can do. It’s far too limited IMO.

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

I’m fairly positive that the Elder Dragons, when we eventually get to them, will be done on a grand scale. The game revolves around them, after all.

Traditional B2P games are expansion fueled. But, apparently, the cash shop model is what was adopted and we’ve had to suffer through it.

Maybe we’ll see an expansion “soon”, as they’re “working on it”, and “nothing is off the table” since with Scarlet’s demise, we’ve seen Mordy make an appearance.

At least we can hope, right?

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

I’m fairly positive that the Elder Dragons, when we eventually get to them, will be done on a grand scale. The game revolves around them, after all.

Traditional B2P games are expansion fueled. But, apparently, the cash shop model is what was adopted and we’ve had to suffer through it.

Maybe we’ll see an expansion “soon”, as they’re “working on it”, and “nothing is off the table” since with Scarlet’s demise, we’ve seen Mordy make an appearance.

At least we can hope, right?

i cant say that at all just by the ls went so far.
i just wish anet would say hey your going to get info on a certain date would be enough for me right now they dont even have to say release date of the stuff. i think the longer they go without communicating the more people who leave. im sorry they set the schedule of 2 weeks even when we said pace then out more. so going so long without any info just isnt going to cut it

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

I hope that Regina and the rest of devs realize that thikittenus and lack of knowledge about the future is making people leave…
and unless LS come back really strong, they wont return…
They are winning new players with the china’s release, but they are loosing a lot of europeans because megaserver and lack of vision on the future…

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I hope that Regina and the rest of devs realize that thikittenus and lack of knowledge about the future is making people leave…
and unless LS come back really strong, they wont return…
They are winning new players with the china’s release, but they are loosing a lot of europeans because megaserver and lack of vision on the future…

Your asking them to hand hold you though every day in effect. Your asking to be told something new is coming by some one every day of the game over and over even if its the same things. Heck the community over all cant stand to not have a post from a dev. with in the first 1hr of there post. There is something vastly wrong with the mind set on these forums.

Most ppl like the LS they just did not like the limited time on the events (mind you it would not be a LS with out these time windows of the events.)

Some EU ppl as well as NA ppl has a bad mind set for mmorpg to the point where you find that if a person on there world is not even from the same time zone they often resent that person its even worst if they do not speak the same languages as they do. This is more of a truth that the world we live in and the inability for ppl with this mind set falling way behind the world because they cant deal with meaningful changes in an globalized world.

The vision is there and has been stated a number of times the LS are still going to come but they are going to be slower and bigger. We are going to see many more zones due to these megaserver system letting them push new zones in an already big map with out the fear of making dead zones for players to think they are not playing with other ppl. Seems very clear to me and i do not need to be told this every day nor do i need to be told every thing 2 weeks in advances its some times nice to be surprised by content then just knowing what coming out well over a month before it dose.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

As much as I’d like to be all hyped up and super-excited about new content, I’m just not.

It’s been so long since we’ve actually had any new content to play (feature patch stuff should have been in game since day 1, and I hardly call attaching some achievement points to playing WvW, “new content”), and quite frankly I’m getting a bit bored of constantly waiting, walking on eggshells, and not even getting any tid bits.

Not even throwing us some scraps as to what’s to come or even when we can see some physical new content, is pretty tragic. I understand GW2 China is out now, but any professional gaming company should know that you need to have a completely separate team for the release of your own game in different countries so as to not make people lose interest in the main game.

I think it’s fair to say that many are losing interest because there really is just nothing new to do. I’m extremely disappointed in GW2 to say the least, and I, like many others it seems, only now log in to do dailies and perhaps check on the trading post, and log out.

And to those who say things like “I don’t know what you guys are whining about, they do plenty of content” (you know the sort I’m talking about – the type that would be happy to have no updates for a year and say how great it is just to be able to walk around GW2 and play dress up). Wake up and smell the grass people, because all this lack-of-update stuff? Yeah, it’s only the beginning…

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I was really excited about new content before the 15th of April patch.
Unfortunately I could now, not care less.

No matter how amazing season 2 is- the big mess that is the Megaserver makes it a moot point.
Can you imagine trying to play LS content with the Megaserver?

I sure can
shudders

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: supamoose.9028

supamoose.9028

Could we bring back some PVP armor that is no longer available, like Stalward……

Posted by: Arundo.5802

Arundo.5802

This is why I always hope game have some sort of subscription model. All Arenanet is doing is create more skins, finishers and other crap for the cashshop. I dont want another fuzzy hat, bunny ears, lama finisher… I want to see a new expansion and new zones to explore.

But there is not room to create those because they need to create items for the cashshop to stay healthy on the cashflow.

Good thing I can spend my time in ESO at the moment, it has bugs and stuff missing but atleast the patches are flying around on a weekly base and new content is coming after just one month.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

This is why I always hope game have some sort of subscription model. All Arenanet is doing is create more skins, finishers and other crap for the cashshop. I dont want another fuzzy hat, bunny ears, lama finisher… I want to see a new expansion and new zones to explore.

But there is not room to create those because they need to create items for the cashshop to stay healthy on the cashflow.

You’re aware that the people who create the framework for the content (game designers, gameplay programmers ect) aren’t the people who create cash-shop stuff (modellers and animators)?

Playable content teams and gem-store teams are seperate.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Arundo.5802

Arundo.5802

You’re aware that the people who create the framework for the content (game designers, gameplay programmers ect) aren’t the people who create cash-shop stuff (modellers and animators)?

Thats great, the fact is that after 1,5 year Guild Wars 2 has had no expansion or any big content patch. Sure the living stories are fun for about a week but why do we not get something more then the same old stuff with some news quests ?

I doubt the two teams are equally divided, it seems Arenanet is more busy making cashshop content then to create new zones (yes more then 1) for use to adventure through.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I think the cashshop content doesn’t require a huge number of resources from Anet, so that’s just bull and ignorance believing their developers are all focusing on cashshop content over playable content. They can churn out small additions to cashshop with little effort and it’s a “quick win” to keep it updated all the time, whereas new playable content requires a lot more development.

I bet part of LS2 development also comes with mechanism to replay stuff or make it more permanent for later experience. They’ve had so much negative criticism about the temporality of LS1 and how it was nice for 2 weeks but then content – good as bad – was gone and not possible to play again. Imagine if we still had everything from LS1 in-game to play at our leisure, I wouldn’t be sad about last year then. Now, what’s left of e.g. the Aetherblade’s Retreat are two fractals, one nice encounter and the other bloody one with Mai Trin that I just always seem to get. In truth, I’ve not seen the Jade Maw boss fractal since that update; it’s always been either Mai Trin or Molten Champions… anyhow, enough about that.

I doubt we’ll see a patch this month, with China release and development of LS2, Anet seem set on letting PvP reward tracks and WvW tournament run its course until end of May, so my guess is Dragon Bash in June to set things off. Luckily, May has a lot of national holidays and RL stuff going on, because PvE-wise this game is on the back burner right now…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

TheDaiBish.9735

Thats great, the fact is that after 1,5 year Guild Wars 2 has had no expansion or any big content patch. Sure the living stories are fun for about a week but why do we not get something more then the same old stuff with some news quests ?

I doubt the two teams are equally divided, it seems Arenanet is more busy making cashshop content then to create new zones (yes more then 1) for use to adventure through.

It doesn’t take more people to model a hat / create a set of armour than to create them content patches, since content patches in themselves require a wider range of expertise.

Second, they’ve said in the past that they were a bit tentative of adding new maps as to not spread the playerbase out too thin. However, with the introduction of the megaservers, in an interview with MMORPG.com, they also said they were less worried about spreading the playerbase too thin now.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Hmm, actually thats one of the issues, they could have modelers and animators working on new enemies, new skills, and new rewards for new content.

Posted by: Beliskner.5039

Beliskner.5039

OMG stop complaining about content i would understand if you didn’t have anything new for 6 months. Let them launch the game in the new country first. If you don’t like it go and play other mmo’s that give you new content every year.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

OMG stop complaining about content i would understand if you didn’t have anything new for 6 months. Let them launch the game in the new country first. If you don’t like it go and play other mmo’s that give you new content every year.

problem they created was the 2 week schedule got everyone looking for content right after content. not we got feature pack it would be great to get news when the 2 week content will begin again or whatever path they are taking. they dont have to release trailor or nothing of that sort. maybe a blog post where the games going and a date for season 2(even if its a month away) to begin is all im asking. they started the 2 week process and its been better then 2 weeks and no info when new stuff might be coming its there fault

TheDaiBish.9735

Hmm, actually thats one of the issues, they could have modelers and animators working on new enemies, new skills, and new rewards for new content.

Except:

• the modellers and animators are either a) part of seperate teams; that is, content and monetization or b) animators and modellers use any down-time to create these gemstore items.
  • enemies, skills and content are more than simply animations, thus they require other specialities to work alongside them.
  • it’s pointless to start animating and modelling enemies before the content team have devised a theme on which to base them, and the concept artist has drawn out roughly what they’ll look like.

One thing I will agree on though is armour and weapon sets. At the same time, we don’t know the allocation of staff. It’s all well and good saying that they could work on such and such when we don’t actually know their workload, how many modellers and animators there are ect.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Max Wal.2076

Max Wal.2076

Because of the team’s focus on game development, they are not able to dedicate as much time out of their workday to posting on the forums. While they might have time to read the forums, they don’t necessarily have time to engage in discussion.

Thank you! Very few companies communicate the fact that they can’t communicate as much. This is much appreciated feedback for the community and lets us respect your situation.

+1 Anet

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Because of the team’s focus on game development, they are not able to dedicate as much time out of their workday to posting on the forums. While they might have time to read the forums, they don’t necessarily have time to engage in discussion.

Thank you! Very few companies communicate the fact that they can’t communicate as much. This is much appreciated feedback for the community and lets us respect your situation.

+1 Anet

The thing is though, even when they don’t have a busy schedule, they still don’t communicate as much as they should, OR listen to and implement the many brilliant suggestions posted on these forums on a daily basis (with the exception of some of the CDI’s – I’ll at least give them some credit there). But they certainly don’t have my full respect. Like trust, respect it is earnt.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

If a company has to completely neglect its existing customers because its reaching for a new market with new customers, I doubt that company is capable to handle that at all.

Oh and that “you will see, its sooooooooo excitiiiiiing…someday, somewhere, something, something!!!” PR line is getting really old.
It may have worked after release, not 2 years after with that proven record of ‘exiting content’.

This won’t end well…

TheDaiBish.9735

The thing is though, even when they don’t have a busy schedule, they still don’t communicate as much as they should, OR listen to and implement the many brilliant suggestions posted on these forums on a daily basis (with the exception of some of the CDI’s – I’ll at least give them some credit there). But they certainly don’t have my full respect. Like trust, respect it is earnt.

Except we have no idea what a regular day is like for them, so you can’t really say “when they don’t have a busy schedule”. For all we know, they could be busy constantly, and any replying they do could be in their breaks.

As for implementing player suggestions, development takes time, and player suggestions aren’t going to take priority over anything they have on a to-do list. Not to mention ‘brilliant suggestion’ is in the eye of the beholder. For someone who enjoys the addition, you’ll get someone who’ll start a sentence with ‘why have they wasted their time doing this when…’.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Oh and that “you will see, its sooooooooo excitiiiiiing…someday, somewhere, something, something!!!” PR line is getting really old.
It may have worked after release, not 2 years after…

It’s amazing how people are still falling for that hype.

“Oh, all the previous content was garbage, but they promise this time it’ll be great. I’ll assume it’s going to be great!”

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

This is a very dangerous attitude. Let me give you a little history, back playing WoW when people started complaining after Cataclysm went live everyone reacted the same way and within 18 months their sub base dropped by 6.5 million players, that amounted to almost a billion dollars a month of lost revenue from subs. Granted they don’t have that model here but the gem shop is their revenue base right now so if they begin to lose players in droves they will suffer the same fate I assure you.

I’ve stayed because the fact is I love this game but I won’t be spending another nickel in the gem shop until I feel they’ve earned it again and it’s going to take a lot for me to open my wallet again. I completely disagree with the way they chose to handle their current customers so I’ll do the only thing I can do, stop buying from the gem shop.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Your asking them to hand hold you though every day in effect. Your asking to be told something new is coming by some one every day of the game over and over even if its the same things. Heck the community over all cant stand to not have a post from a dev. with in the first 1hr of there post. There is something vastly wrong with the mind set on these forums.

Funniest comments on reddit regarding this topic:

“We’re like an insecure boyfriend, having to be reminded every week that our girlfriends still love us even if she can’t talk to us 24/7 because she’s busy at work.”

“Baby, we’re still good, right? Yeah? Then WHO’S THIS CHINA GUY I HEARD ABOUT??!! Am I not good enough for you anymore?!”

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

In some days, 1 Month After the last update and Devs are still nowhere to be found. O_o

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Challenge helps but so does rarety and working towards it even if it’s less challeging.

thing is a 1 in 100 might create rarity but only if its a challenging encounter that no everyone can do so people give up before hitting that average 100 tries. If its trivial plenty of people will endure the 100 trivial fights to get that “rare” pet so it will not be rare anymore. doing 100 trivial fights is nothing i played games where regular quests wanted me to kill more mobs then that

well if you didnt skip it you’d have your mini already no?

Only if it was a ganranteed drop. Else if the drop-rate would be 1/100 it’s likely you still don’t have it.

Partially right. yes you’re absolutely right you could try him once and then go on do other things only to come back but a 1/100 drop rate is there for a reason and that reason is developers intending this boss to be content lasting how long it takes to kill him multiplied by a 100 on average .By doing the encounter once and moving on you technically only did part of the game sessions developers intended for and by coming in after maxing out you’re further reducing the amount that boss is supposed to last. That being said conceptually I agree more with you then developers here. Being forced to repeat content isnt really content.

No because the boss still have that mini to offer that you want that the stuff at your level do not drop. So you have a reason to do both.

That’s a choir not content. Without the difficulty and the challenge what will I enjoy, starting the auto attack and checking the news for the next minute or so ?

No, there is nothing sweet about it being temporary. You do it more then eventually you get rewarded for it. That is sweet. Having stuff you like being removed from the game is not even close to sweet imho.

It is sweet because if you win you have something of real value. There is a reason why a rare Aetherized pistol sells for 80g while other rares sell for a few silver. Final rest also started pretty rare because it had a really low drop rate. I remember when it was first available you had to pay something like 38g for it but now you can get for 4g easily. the drop rate didnt improve it still a very rare drop, its still one of the most beautiful staffs available in the game but because it wasnt a time bound reward eventually it lost its value cause as long as you have all the time in the world unless you gate how many times players can try to get that reward or the difficulty is such that its unreachable for most players its not going to remain rare for ever.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

God, people like you make this community feel so childish…

Why do you feel the need to insult people? Totally un-necessary and adds nothing to the argument.

Catharsis?

kitten we’re spoiled. Used to be MMOs would release maybe a months worth of content every four to six months and people would lap it up. Now people are so used to having new things to do every two weeks that withdrawal symptoms are setting in. Perspective people! Perspective!

Yeah. I remember my days in WoW were like that. In fact they didn’t so much release a months worth of content so much as content that would take the elite Raiders maybe a week to beat and casuals like my old guild 3-4 weeks.

I’m feeling the lull, but hope it’s more of a “calm before the storm” moment. ^^

Jip that’s what I’m hoping. I think ANet is still developing content, even if it isn’t necessarily a full team doing it. So when things start up again they’ll be able to polish what’s already there.

Personally I don’t mind there is no next season yet. I tent to like the game better without a ‘do it now or miss out forever’ feeling. But I would love to see an expansion with some great permanent content in the future.

oh I must say I agree. Looking at the new Wardrobe, there’s so many skins that just aren’t available any more. Not to mention a lot of content I wouldn’t mind replying.
But since the forums have been going on and on about temporary content I’m hoping ANet takes it to heart. Remember when Living Story events were once off like Karka invasion of LA? We complained and ANet changed. So I’m hoping.

anet is so cheap they can’t have more than 1 studio?

How much do you have?[/quote]

I’ll agree with the sentiment, if not with the usages of a ad hominem.

For the love of god, Buy more employees. More people= job will be done faster. = Profit!

Ever read the Mythic Man Month. I have it, but I haven’t unfortunately. Time and what not. However I think it basically provides a counter point to your argument.

Yes, but you were all excited about Season 1, and we all know how that turned out.

I honestly think people are retrospectively making it far worse than it was.

Couldn’t you at the very least give us a speculation of -when- we get updates again? Is it a case of weeks? a month?

I think we as players have basically burned that bridge… We don’t tend to know the difference between ‘speculation’ and ‘promise’.

In the same way that 9 women can’t produce a baby in one month, adding more people to a software development project does not necessarily decrease the time required. Me paraphrasing the mythic man month.

In some days, 1 Month After the last update and Devs are still nowhere to be found. O_o

Apparently they’re busy.

Karizee.8076

They posted yesterday in this thread Max, calm down lol. It’s on the previous page.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

What I say (and keep saying) is that they stated nothing during WvW s2, which ends in 28 days. Plus the Chinese release, my two cents that we’ll have some news around June.

It’s frustrating to have been used to “news every two weeks”, but people there are working on things we do not even have a clue about. We speculate thanks to Belinda Delaqua, Scarlet’s death and the portal in the fort. This game has potential, for now it is not well used, but I’m sure we will not be disappointed.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Karizee.8076

I think they are past the modeling stage, yesterday I saw one of the writers cracking jokes on twitter about one of the names he came up with for a monster that he had to delete because of the way it pronounced.

(edited by Karizee.8076)

Galen Grey.4709

I am not defining what is grind or what is fun for other people

Actually yes you are. In the following statement you define whether or not someone will find an activity more (or less) fun.

How is that defining fun? defining something means stating what it is. IE if I said doing jumping puzzles is fun thats defining fun. but stating a reward will not make an activity and more or less fun is not defining anything that’s an observation.

the reward will not make the activity itself any more or less fun

I completely understand that rewards may not make an activity more fun to you…but what is or is not fun for you has no bearing whatsoever on what someone you do not know finds fun.

At no point did I state what is fun for me, you or anyone else. Any activity in the game can be fun, absolutely any activity. I just said if you find activity X whatever that might be boring, sticking a reward to it is not going to magically turn that activity fun. IF rewards made content fun I personally would expect very few if any people would ever complain about grinding. Why? because grinding (and again here this can be anything not stating here what is grinding or not) is content you dont enjoy by definition. if you’re having fun its not grind. Hence if you dont care about the reward and dont like the content you’re not going to play it. If you dont like the content but like the reward that’s incentive enough to play but if your theory that the reward makes content fun is true then the boring content should no longer be boring content and thus people wouldnt consider it a grind.

Now you could counter and you’d have a valid point that this might not apply to everyone. It might work for some but not others which is fair enough. To that I would ask you to look the feed back about getting ascended gear on the forum. Lots of people complaining how grindy it is some even went as far as saying this the grindiest game ever. Did you see even a single person say not is awesome as it is its great fun? cause I never seen 1. Even the people who always defend the game acknowledge that doing all the requirements for ascended gear at one goal is a choir and likely to feel grindy so all the suggestions I heard where for people to slow down.

You may not have encountered them but there are people out there for whom the rewards are an inherent and integral part of whether or not something is fun. The act of winning the drop lottery, or accumulating in game wealth, or the like is actually fun for them.

How do you know these people are having fun doing the content rather then just happy with the reward though? cause there is a crucial difference there.

As to grind…what is grind to you may not be to me. For example, I rather enjoyed certain GW1 solo farms that my friends considered too much of a grind to bother with. For me the very same repetitive activity that bored others were an interesting challenge to improve my completion times, increase my kill rate, etc. Managing to knock three seconds off my best time was FUN ! The rewards (more than fifteen thousand ectos) didn’t hurt either.

Completely agree but please note I never defined grind. I never said doing X is grindy. I simply went with the basic definition of grind IE boring repetitive task. That can be Questing, PvP, gathering, Crafting whatever doesnt matter.

Its good to know what you enjoyed but I would be more interested what aspects of Gw1 or Gw2 find boring and if you truely thing you’ll start enjoying that same content you find boring right now if a good reward is tied to that (whatever that may be for you as obviously good rewards are subjective too)

Galen Grey.4709

If a company has to completely neglect its existing customers because its reaching for a new market with new customers, I doubt that company is capable to handle that at all.

It may have worked after release, not 2 years after with that proven record of ‘exiting content’.

Dont you think that completely neglect is way too strong?

I dont think its a question of resources anyway. Thing is launching in a new market is obviously tricky because like any launch you’re going to run into issues and like any launch you need to address them as quickly as possible and that will be tricky to do if your code is in flux as you execute releases for your existent markets. So its most likely not just about being busy or not but also that they’re limited on how much changes to the live environment they can do until they have the new market running stable.

It is important to consider this is not us vs them kind of thing its both of us. We’re asked to wait a couple of months after they’ve consistently released stuff every 2 weeks is that a big deal to ask? should they risk alienating the new market by being unable to timely tackle issues that might crop up on release just for the sake of not having us wait a few weeks? Us who a good number of people have been asking Anet to switch to an expansion model which would mean not a couple of months but a couple of years waiting for new content?

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

Personally I am enjoying the break from new content, it does get quite tedious every 2 weeks more grindage to endure.

Sincerly, Me.

Posted by: spritefire.5234

spritefire.5234

This is such a risky move. Some of the Asian countries have MMO’s that put the rest of the world to shame.
It’s like, anet has a girlfriend already and sees a better looking girl and goes chasing after her and tells the current girlfriend to wait because they are too busy flirting with a hotter girl. Either way it’s going to end badly for the current girlfriend.
Or, the current girlfriend might go look elsewhere for a guy that will be purely devoted to them and the hot girlfriend might ditch anet, in which case it will end badly for anet.