More Skimpy Armor Please? [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Must bring chaos gloves and destoyer gloves, I am glad that weapons made it into the game, but gloves is a must!

Also, please have more skimpy female armor =p I think there is plenty of conservative armor in game.

In addition we need better staff skins, so badly!

Armor is not same thing as clothing. Majority of people forget that. MMO industry has turned armors into a fashion show and that’s ok for those who like it, but don’t mix those 2 things. Armor by default is not supposed to be cute or skimpy, but hey, kittenton of people like those things, so whatever.

in Suggestions

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

I vote elegance instead of skimpy!

There is no reason skimpy armor cannot be elegant at the same time.

Edit: Due to boredom I have read the majority of this thread, and I gotta say, this is an entire college philosophy class right here. Seriously.

(edited by phlemhacker.1372)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

One thing I feel should be brought out is that provocative does not equate to objectifying. Though their execution may be close to one another, their meaning is quite opposite.

On that note, I’d like for there to be more provocative male armor, and more variety to provocative female armors. Sometimes men, too, like to have provocative characters in games. As it is, the options for that are very limited, especially when using a profession that wears medium armor.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fievre.4510

Fievre.4510

I sort of think it’s silly to try and deny people additional armor options based on the fact that it’s not realistic or that it’s objectifying pixels.

For people who RP, skimpier clothes could be in character. I mean honestly do you think most light armor would realistically provide much protection anyways?

ANet is pretty capable with designing a wide variety of armor, and even when it’s skimpy it’s still tasteful.

I was going to link to specific armor sets that I personally liked and would dig seeing something similar, but then I realized that’s way too many links… So I’ll just solve my issue by linking to basically everything.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Vabbian_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kurzick_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Luxon_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Obsidian_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Prophecies_armor

There are a lot of sets where both genders show (or hide) an equal amount of skin, that aren’t just kitteny. Also ritualist, some monk, and necro armor show a LOT of skin but by use of tattoos have still kept it pretty tasteful, imo.

I seriously like. If they reintroduced old armor sets or made something similar to them I would probably spend all my money to get them. For real.

Armor was what kept me playing GW1 for as many years as I did. I’d like to have that incentive keeping me around on here, too. (I’d also rather grind gold than dungeons but hey, baby steps.)

in Suggestions

phlemhacker.1372

Lets be perfectly honest here. The majority of victims from domestic abuse ARE women.

While I concede women are more likely to suffer nastier forms of domestic violence, quantitatively though, a lot of research shows the numbers are indeed pretty equal in initiating said violence.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

I had to do research to get skimpy armor for my female elementalist.

Seriously speaking, there are far too many non-revealing armor in the market (and no, I’m not attempting sarcasm). For light armor, the first two armors and the last few armors are revealing. The rest is pretty much the things you’d wear at UNICEF meeting. Medium and Heavy Armors are even worse, as the number of revealing armors can be counted by hand, most are heavy trenchcoats or full-set platings. IIRC the

We have enough non-revealing armors already to shut all the people that screams “OBJECTIFICATION!” up.

By the way, I’m not asking for bikini-level revealing here. I just want to see the effect of that “skin color” setting I chose to be more pronounced. Take the Human T3 light armor for example. Skins, yes but also quite elegant.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fievre.4510

Fievre.4510

I had to do research to get skimpy armor for my female elementalist.

Seriously speaking, there are far too many non-revealing armor in the market (and no, I’m not attempting sarcasm). For light armor, the first two armors and the last few armors are revealing. The rest is pretty much the things you’d wear at UNICEF meeting. Medium and Heavy Armors are even worse, as the number of revealing armors can be counted by hand, most are heavy trenchcoats or full-set platings. IIRC the

We have enough non-revealing armors already to shut all the people that screams “OBJECTIFICATION!” up.

By the way, I’m not asking for bikini-level revealing here. I just want to see the effect of that “skin color” setting I chose to be more pronounced. Take the Human T3 light armor for example. Skins, yes but also quite elegant.

Basically this. You can mix it up for a semi-revealing set of armor but it takes a good amount of time and effort to find something that mixes well. I had a hard enough time just mixing it up for anything to fit the holidays.

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Youkay.5294

Youkay.5294

Mad queen Malafide, you do your name justicce, indeed.

Don’t you see that EVERYONE here disagrees with you? You are very lonely in your stand. A person needs to know when it’s time to say “I have a different opinion. I see I can’t change yours, so having this discussion any further is meaningless.” This goes for everybody else here as well. Having this discussion with the mad queen is pointless.

I fully agree with Rubykuby. I prefer his fair and global point of view. His arguments convince me much much more. He doesn’t digress like the mad queen does but only if there is an urgent need.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Mad queen Malafide, you do your name justicce, indeed.

Don’t you see that EVERYONE here disagrees with you? You are very lonely in your stand. A person needs to know when it’s time to say “I have a different opinion. I see I can’t change yours, so having this discussion any further is meaningless.” This goes for everybody else here as well. Having this discussion with the mad queen is pointless.

I fully agree with Rubykuby. I prefer his fair and global point of view. His arguments convince me much much more. He doesn’t digress like the mad queen does but only if there is an urgent need.

Oh, do I love proving people they are wrong. I don’t disagree with her, not completely. Nor do I completely agree, either, but that’s besides that point.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad queen Malafide, you do your name justice, indeed.

Don’t you see that EVERYONE here disagrees with you? You are very lonely in your stand.

Why thank you, I enjoy living up to expectations. But the fact that the majority of people posting in this topic disagrees with me, does not mean that I am alone in my point of view. What you are reading is the VOCAL majority, but that doesn’t mean it is THE majority. The fact that so many players are unable to critically think about objectification of women in games, is all the more reason for me to stand up against it. That’s why I’m in this discussion in the first place, to address an issue many people shut their eyes to.

Its not about limiting anyone’s choices. Its in fact about expanding choices, and calling out the game industry for setting a poor standard in the portrayal of women overall.

If anything, I think I’ve proven to be a quite reasonable and polite person to discuss with. And you should never be afraid of polite discussion darling. Even if it’s with an insane queen around whose ego orbits most of the known galaxy.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

The only thing I tend to disagree with are with the tropes. What message they carry is purely dependent on the context of a story.

I’ve long already understood MQM is just of a different opinion regarding how females are portrayed in video games. I’m not innocent, I do like looking at my female Ranger’s body while I play her…but I like doing the same for my male Warriors and Elementalist too (I only made the Ranger like a month ago, btw). And I’m not asking for ‘skimpier’ armor, just a larger gallery of ‘just as skimpy as we have’ armor. By now, my characters are looking into a 3rd or 4th set of armor and with one set being covered while the other is revealing, I need more options so I’m not using the same pieces over and over.

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

And just for clarification, I don’t see any harm in that. I’m sure plenty of women also enjoy looking at an attractive male character. But I think we should stand up for tasteful clothes, and an equal amount of attractive outfits for men. This idea that women always have to walk around in their underwear in video games has got to stop.

in Suggestions

Raestloz.7134

And just for clarification, I don’t see any harm in that. I’m sure plenty of women also enjoy looking at an attractive male character. But I think we should stand up for tasteful clothes, and an equal amount of attractive outfits for men. This idea that women always have to walk around in their underwear in video games has got to stop.

Of all clothings (light armor) in the game, only:
1) Apprentice (starter)
2) Embroidered (first tier craft)
3) Winged (level 65)
4) Feathered (75)
6) Masquerade (80)
7) Human cultural T3
8) PvP tribal
9) WvW Wizard
10) Koda
11) Inquest
12) Conjurer
12) Tactical
13) Whispers
14) Vigil
15) PvP armaggedon
16) Norn Cultural T1
17) Norn Cultural T2

Can be seen as “revealing” (and nordic culturals completely cover the waist and below). Mostly, “revealing” only because they show cleavage or show some thighs, but nothing below whatever you can see on public pools or beaches on western countries.

Currently, I’m looking at a compilation of light armor skins, and I count there are 35 skins, including 3 human culturals, excluding the culturals of every other race (even nords). There are more than enough armors to choose from that doesn’t even show skin at all.

So, if you’re looking to debunk the thing about female armors in MMO, you’ll not find it here.

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: GrizzlyTank.3145

GrizzlyTank.3145

All for skimpy outfits…
Well for charr that is :P

Humans all ready got enough of it .-.

in Suggestions

Posted by: artsed.9702

artsed.9702

I’m all for more variety, but there are plenty of skimpy armors already in terms of percentage (as Raestloz pointed out, basically half of all the female light stuff would be considered skimpy anywhere that wasn’t a hot summer day outside).

Two things bother me slightly about the armor in this game/thread, though. One is that, while GW2 isn’t nearly as bad as other games on the MMO market right now, I think it’s a problem that the gender dichotomy in Tyrian fashion is just so large. Light armor is the worst offender, with ~17 “skimpy” female armors, and only 2-3 “skimpy” male armors (although I probably wouldn’t bat an eye if I saw a man wearing something like that in public, honestly).

Another thing is that a lot of the armor, especially the female stuff, gets very same-y after a while. There’s this false dichotomy floating around some of the more obnoxious posters in this thread that the biggest design choice in armor has to be revealing or concealing, but there are other clothing areas I’d much rather they’d flesh out first.

For instance, and most specifically, I have a wandering-adventurer dual-sword-wielding type female mesmer, and I think it’d be just swell if I could equip her with pants.

However, there are no exotic pants-sets for females in the entire game, and the low level sets that do include pants are almost universally atrocious, and completely unflattering.

I’d take a half-dozen sets of well-done pants before another bikini, if Arenanet was in the mood to add armor to the game. As is, I’ve got my mesmer decked out in Twilight Arbor armor, but the skirt keeps getting caught on those darned nightmare blossoms…

(edited by artsed.9702)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katody.7138

Katody.7138

GW2 has PLENTY of skimpy armor. We don’t need more thanks. It’s hard to find female cloth armor that ISNT like seriously I have 4 shirts and 3 pant skirts with leggings all the high level stuff is skimpy. Just no.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

GW2 has PLENTY of skimpy armor. We don’t need more thanks. It’s hard to find female cloth armor that ISNT like seriously I have 4 shirts and 3 pant skirts with leggings all the high level stuff is skimpy. Just no.

This topic is primarily regarding Medium and Heavy armor. Please take a look at what few options they actually have in this regard.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reinforcments.5713

Reinforcments.5713

I think the real question is….

are all of you sexist bigots?

10 pages of any other comment than, “are you sexist?”, clearly don’t disagree

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

This game is limiting in variety of skimpy armor and form fitting armor. Even light armor is lacking when it comes to armor with no Butt-capes.

in Suggestions

Raestloz.7134

I’m all for more variety, but there are plenty of skimpy armors already in terms of percentage (as Raestloz pointed out, basically half of all the female light stuff would be considered skimpy anywhere that wasn’t a hot summer day outside).

This is simply not true. Most of the armors are “revealing”, yes, but not “skimpy”. And the “revealing” isn’t the same across everything.

Most are simply “revealing” because they show cleavage, which is pretty much not unusual even on urban/rural streets. I only include them to save myself from feminists that would scream at me otherwise.

I ask for more things like Masquerade (80 rare light female) or human female T3 armors, they’re skimpy, but also looks elegant. Skimpy for the sake of skimpy such as Scarlet Blade / Tera armors are not what I’m talking about.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

This is simply not true. Most of the armors are “revealing”, yes, but not “skimpy”. And the “revealing” isn’t the same across everything.

Most are simply “revealing” because they show cleavage, which is pretty much not unusual even on urban/rural streets. I only include them to save myself from feminists that would scream at me otherwise.

I ask for more things like Masquerade (80 rare light female) or human female T3 armors, they’re skimpy, but also looks elegant. Skimpy for the sake of skimpy such as Scarlet Blade / Tera armors are not what I’m talking about.

Baby got “show” back! On new skimpy armor.

in Suggestions

Leo G.4501

All for skimpy outfits…
Well for charr that is :P

Humans all ready got enough of it .-.

For you, you get the new ‘Boots Armor’.

You see, when you put on the body and leg armor, it’s boots…

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Ideas for males (I think it might also work for charr and asura). Would appreciate any comments.

• a tank top that’s cut off just above his chest, exposing his nipples and lower body. would go great with those pants that show all of his happy trail and hip bones. Why not? Female human cultural does it.
  • men’s pants that show his happy trail (hair line under the belly button) and hip bones until you can’t go down anymore without showing his genitals
  • a male character wearing no pants, only hot pants (shorter than boxers) that show off his firm buns flexing when he runs around
  • female duelist armor on a male, just like hers perhaps having the pants tied on the front of the leg instead of the side, so that as it comes up it exposes his hip bones
  • a small bolero that exposes most of his upper body
  • his upper body completely exposed except for a few bracelets on his wrists (gloves), a cowl on his neck made of jewelry (shirt), and shoulders also just jewelry (shoulders).
  • a long tunic that goes down to just below his knees, open at both sides up to his elbows, with no pants or underwear (it’s ok, you’ll only see the side of his torso, hip, and legs, you won’t even see anywhere near his genitals. Worn with gladiator sandals or jewelry on his ankles.
  • pants where the “waist” seam is diagonal, not horizontal, so it exposes one side of his legs until his knee, and part of his butt (could be tied together… or not)
  • a shirt that’s a single strip of fabric, leather, or metal running down from his neck, between his breasts, until it reaches his pants. (like what this man has under his suit coat )

And also

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

in Suggestions

Raestloz.7134

Baby got “show” back! On new skimpy armor.

Backless is nice, they look good anyway. Besides, who will complain about backless? I can picture people raging all over if you’re frontless

in Suggestions

Leo G.4501

**Ideas for males

I already beat you to it WITH pics…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

http://humon.deviantart.com/art/Skimpy-armor-for-dudes-289282243

Equality, sure go ahead Now give more skimpy for everyone + some not skimpy stuff.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I would like more options that show off the bio-luminescence I chose for my Sylvari.

Oddly enough, even though there is a decent number of more revealing female armor, almost all of it is terrible at showing this. Sylvari bio-luminescence is across the back and on the arms and legs. A large portion of revealing female armor features the stomach and chest, while covering the back, arms, and legs. :P

And for my male Sylvari, there is one heavy armor set, no medium, and one light set that reveal the back, arms and legs.

in Suggestions

lorazcyk.8927

I already beat you to it WITH pics…

Link please….?

in Suggestions

Leo G.4501

It’s already there…can’t get more skimpier than that Boots Armor.

And here’s a pic of the Witch’s Naughty Apprentice light armor for Asura modeled for males. You can’t see what’s in the front from the back because it comes with a salute animation.

Attachments:

(edited by Leo G.4501)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Coopziana.1802

Coopziana.1802

I personally think this post is a little creepy. Basically you’re asking for more nudity but with the bonus that armour’s give…

I kinda think you all need to get out a bit and perhaps go find someone to be with… I know i’m gonna get a lot of hate for saying that but this entire post just screams of stereotypical nerds sat in front of the computer playing with themselves over a picture of Lara Croft.

All I’ll say is: “There is a reason that ANET are in charge of designing armour and not you guys!”

Like & Subscribe to “Game Slobs” on YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/gameslobsuk

in Suggestions

Leo G.4501

I personally think this post is a little creepy. Basically you’re asking for more nudity but with the bonus that armour’s give…

Are you talking to me? I hope so, because I’m not being serious in the least.

And what I’m asking for, truthfully, isn’t nudity but more armor that shows some skin similarly to the few options we have now (like Duelist for Heavy or T3 cultural for human) and those definitely would never qualify as ‘nudity’.

in Suggestions

Coopziana.1802

My only comment is this:

What’s the point in designing an armour set that is pretty much non-existent? (E.I. Skimpy!)

I can just see how amazing the dyes would be on them, sorry but the whole point of armour is to protect you in battle… Let’s try and keep it slightly realistic shall we guys!?

in Suggestions

Leo G.4501

My only comment is this:

What’s the point in designing an armour set that is pretty much non-existent? (E.I. Skimpy!)

What are you talking about? Non-existent? Um, my characters wear armors that show their stomach, back or arms but there’s still something that exists.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/b2/Human_male_PvP_Pit_Fighter_armor_%281%29.jpg

I can just see how amazing the dyes would be on them, sorry but the whole point of armour is to protect you in battle… Let’s try and keep it slightly realistic shall we guys!?

Have you ever made a Norn with tatoos? Or what about a Charr with a fur pattern/color scheme you wanted to show off with your armor?

in Suggestions

Raestloz.7134

My only comment is this:

I personally don’t buy a video game to be bound by reality. In reality, you don’t see a Centaur.

I know such an armor doesn’t exist IRL, that’s why I turn to video games.

Let’s keep the killjoy down, okay guys? And inbefore people start screaming “OMG a lonely basement pervert nerd!”, please, this is a video game. I want to see the impossible. I want to see perfection. I don’t play a video game so I can see a beer-belly 45 years old guy that doesn’t do sports and fall when lifting something heavier than 10 lbs, I go to the bar for that.

The entire point is to see more skin. The word “skimpy” doesn’t define anything else.

in Suggestions

Coopziana.1802

That’s strange, and here’s me thinking the game was about challenging content and socialising with friends… WHAT was I thinking!?

Tell ya what guys, if you really want to see skimpy clothing and to design a character with different “skimpy” outfits for a little pleasure, I think you should take a break from GW2 and perhaps take a look at this site:

http://www.cuteflashgames.com/games/dress_up.html

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

That’s strange, and here’s me thinking the game was about challenging content and socialising with friends… WHAT was I thinking!?

Tell ya what guys, if you really want to see skimpy clothing and to design a character with different “skimpy” outfits for a little pleasure, I think you should take a break from GW2 and perhaps take a look at this site:

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

This game’s horizontal progression is geared towards aesthetics. Therefore, having more armour choices would match this ideology. Additionally, it would create a greater variety in what everyone wears.

Taking what you said about playing challenging content and socializing with friends, I could recommend you play some puzzle games on facebook, that way you can play challenging content and socialize with a greater number of real friends. I won’t suggest that though, because obviously you like Guild Wars 2, just as we do. I hope you can respect that.

I personally do not like 99% of the armour in this game. There is almost something I do not like in every set. For example, I do not like the dye colouring on the starter light armour skirt. I do not like the tattoo thing on the winged armour set. I do not like the fishnet stuff on the commando heavy armour set. I do not like the straps on the profane armour set… and so on. I personally just want an armour set that is clean looking and revealing.

Obviously, I do not think my opinion is the one that matters most. So I urge Arena Net to put in time to develop a bunch of new armour sets that are both revealing and not, for both men and women.

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

I have to ask, how much of the thread have you read? I’m under the impression that all you’ve read is the Title, and a few posts on the last page… If you had read more you’d notice that the majority of us aren’t asking for your definition of “skimpy” and that on multiple occasions we have expressed that “skimpy” was the wrong word choice. What is being asked for here is more armors that are moderately revealing. Nothing more revealing than what we already have now. The majority of the requests revolve around Medium and Heavy armor since the revealing armors for them can be counted on one hand.

If we could get a mod to alter the thread title to better reflect what is actually being asked for that could help with the misconceptions.

in Suggestions

Leo G.4501

If we could get a mod to alter the thread title to better reflect what is actually being asked for that could help with the misconceptions.

You could also put up my pic of that Charr butt in the OP to help with that too. It’d clear up everything

in Suggestions

lorazcyk.8927

“It’s already there…can’t get more skimpier than that Boots Armor."

Oh, you’re talking about charr and asura… I thought you were talking about male humans/sylvari/norn as I wrote my suggestions for them.
Where is it in PvP armory? I just played with armors in PvP and didn’t see it. Does that armor work for male humans too? I don’t recognize the armor icon, what’s it called?

“You’re just assuming it’s to simply sexualize women when that may not be the sole or only goal. For some women, after all, expressing themselves through their clothing is a form of empowerment."

Assuming? Nope!
Men like to express themselves with fashion/style too (I see this more in europe and asia than USA, in USA most guys don’t seem to care about their appearance besides showering and shaving every morning).

Why would a woman feel empowered if she’s dressed like a victorias secret model or a samba dancer? I hope she has more self worth than that! Not that those clothes are bad, they can be fun to wear, but empowering? Honestly, seek therapy if you need it to feel self worth and empowerment! Women aren’t objects!

And indeed, I AM a woman who likes expressing herself through clothing. Because it’s fun to play with clothes, just like it’s fun to paint, draw, rollerblade, or play guitar.

But anyway, just a little problem… I like to play male characters! But their armors are so boring compared to females’ armor! Now what!? No nice armors for me. So I can’t express myself through my clothing

My husband and my friend also like working towards new armors, playing with armors, getting it to look just right, etc. And they’re both male players who play male characters. They complain of plain clothes, or goofy overdone armors like COF. They want sexy stuff.

“Yeah, I’m going to say women in GW2 are portrayed as pretty darn good. Having a set of armor that shows a bit of underboob or adding some more than shows more midrif or leg isn’t going to somehow undo all the above I just typed."

According to you? Because YOU don’t have a complaint, you completely dismiss those of us who do. How nice of you. Won’t be voting you for president, that’ for sure.
Also, way to miss the point for the millionth time. Again.
You’re talking about NPCs, not our characters. This thread is about adding more skimpy armors to our characters, not he NPCs.

Why does Anet think females need to be sexualized to have worth? You say women like to express themselves through their clothes, but why does that mean that for females, they get sexualizied clothes, and more males, they get boring clothes?

What a nice message to teach to the young girls and women who play Guild wars. That men’s worth is not tied to their appearance, but women need to wear demeaning clothes.

If you have two lieutenants, one male and one female, both great at their job, why should the male be respected by others, while the female is not unless she chooses to wears heels, make up, a push up bra, and a buttoned shirt with the buttons nearly popping off? That’s not her job description.
Why does her worth have to include her appearance? Are we back in old china where we bind little girls feet? Geez!

As for me?
I want a male character to look good/attractive, because I’m a straight woman and I’d rather stare at a sexy guy when I play. Just like guys would rather stare at a cute women’s butt instead of a male character.

• Mad Queen has said everything you need to understand. Go over her posts. Before and after you read each post think of this question:

“Why must female characters be portrayed in a completely sexualized manner, as if they were Victoria’s Secret models or Samba dancers instead of just fighters, and in that case, why is it enough for male characters to be portrayed as just fighters? Why aren’t female characters portrayed as “just fighters” too?
Why aren’t male characters also sexualized to look GREAT like a underwear model or a male samba dancer? After all, straight women and gay men are physically attracted to men too!"

Then go from there. If you do that you will understand. If you don’t, you won’t.

Our characters are fighters, not lingerie models or carnival dancers. Male characters don’t model lingerie nor do they wear male samba dancing attire… Would be nice if they did, to be on par with women. I might actually get a good looking male character for once. YAY!

(silly pic attached for comic relief)

Attachments:

in Suggestions

lorazcyk.8927

I would definitely wear that (with some tight pants with exposed skin, at the hip bones, tied togehter).

some women LIKE to show skin, strong women that are proud of their body and don’t care about the stereotypes of society.

So if a man doesn’t show skin, it means he’s not a strong man, and it means he’s not proud of his body, and that he does care about stereotypes? See what I mean? Very sexist of you.

( another double standard: )

ANet puts less effort into male characters: worse skin shading (check male and female faces on Best Appearance graphic settings, male face skin is very flat). Worse armor, Worse animations. For “beast” races, they don’t bother making a different armor, or separating by gender. Even simply making one unisex armor for the charr that’s different than humans, and another for asura, would have gone a LONG way! But they don’t care, because it’s not “a sexy female”.

Why do you think they would do that?
Sexualizing women / not bothering with making males or beasts sexy because “women have to be sexy, but no one expects men to look after their appearance anyway!”

If you look at screenshots on Anet blog (or did they take the blog down?), you’ll see that when humanoids are portrayed they are predominately female, and when beasts (asura/charr) are portrayed, they are predominately male. Or if there’s humanoids of both genders, the female is focused (male as afterthought), and if there’s two gender beasts, the male is focused (female as afterthought).

Also goes for promos (like profession banner at the top of the gw2 professions page, the screenshots and videos there).

Why do you think they would do that?
Sexualizing women / using women as objects in advertising.

Anet, we like male characters too. Please show them some love. Make them sexy. Your metrics might show more players play female characters, but why do you think that is?
If males are ugly and have goofy/boring armors, a lot of us make a female even if we don’t like to play female. We don’t want to play female. And my husband and a friend of mine, because neither of them like to play females both in Gw1 and Gw2, they went without playing certain professions they wanted to play because they don’t want to play female, and they don’t like how goofy the male armors look. So they decided to not even play the profession. As you can see, sadly it even affects gameplay for some people.

I’ve asked in many forums for many months (years?) for someone to give an example of a sexy skimpy male human in gw2, and nothing decent ever came up. I can do a decent heavy armor one, but not light or medium, and nearly every time I login I go play in the PvP armory. The challenge is still up and anyone can send me a screenshot by PM if they want; anytime. Your efforts are appreciated

Yet it’s easy to accomplish with females. If you browse any humanoid armor thread, you’ll see lots of sexy armors. Even just one male sexy armor for each armor class would have been happy, like being starved and being given bread crumbs, LOL. More would be better. Females certainly aren’t lacking.

People wanted older female faces, and other people said: “that doesn’t fit the story, your character has to be young!” They wanted a bigger sized body, but others said “but you have to be thin and fit to fight!”

Yet about 50% of male human and norn faces are of a much older guy (could be female characters’ dad or grampa!). You can also make them very overweight (human) or extremely obese (norn), yet female human and norn are all a healthy weight, even those on the chunkier side.

Why do you think that might be? Sexualization of female characters.
If you can’t see how this is a huge double standard and sexualizes females, then it’s hopeless; nothing in the world will make you understand.
(And yup, I’m aware there’s one older female face)

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

As for me?
I want a male character to look good/attractive, because I’m a straight woman and I’d rather stare at a sexy guy when I play. Just like guys would rather stare at a cute women’s butt instead of a male character.

• Mad Queen has said everything you need to understand. Go over her posts. Before and after you read each post think of this question:

“Why must female characters be portrayed in a completely sexualized manner, as if they were Victoria’s Secret models or Samba dancers instead of just fighters, and in that case, why is it enough for male characters to be portrayed as just fighters? Why aren’t female characters portrayed as “just fighters” too?
Why aren’t male characters also sexualized to look GREAT like a underwear model or a male samba dancer? After all, straight women and gay men are physically attracted to men too!"

Then go from there. If you do that you will understand. If you don’t, you won’t.

Our characters are fighters, not lingerie models or carnival dancers. Male characters don’t model lingerie nor do they wear male samba dancing attire… Would be nice if they did, to be on par with women. I might actually get a good looking male character for once. YAY!

And as has been expressed by every other poster in this thread, we want options for both. Both male and female as well as both revealing and conservative. The main goal of this thread is to expand armor selections for everyone.

Also in regards to you earlier post… 2 of your suggestions won’t happen unless they finally give Female Ausra and Charr access to female armor variants. To clarify, I’m talking about the tank-top and the cloth-strip top. I’m peeved enough with the nearly-topless heavy armors on my Asura…. I don’t want to see more armor options that are inappropriately over-revealing. Anatomical similarities to the male of the race is still no excuse for the females to have exposed chests like that.

Unless they give Female Asura and Charr access to female armor variants I will not agree with adding any more bare-chest armors for males. Bare-back, and mid-drift sure, but no bare-chest until I can wear something more modest for my Female Asura while still having access to tastefully revealing armors.

I just want to clarify before someone misquotes me. I’m not opposed to adding bare-chested armor’s for males or any other revealing armors for males. I’m only opposed to having bare-chested male armor on female Asura and Charr.

(edited by Panda.1967)

in Suggestions

Leo G.4501

Oh, you’re talking about charr and asura… I thought you were talking about male humans/sylvari/norn as I wrote my suggestions for them.
Where is it in PvP armory? I just played with armors in PvP and didn’t see it. Does that armor work for male humans too? I don’t recognize the armor icon, what’s it called?

Lol it was actually something someone linked in mapchat. People were clamoring about it so I tried it and yup, it makes your character naked…unless they’re Human Female and it puts them in a big old-style clown getup.

I don’t have any human or norn male characters so I didn’t get a pic of them wearing it

Oh…and you’re going to break down one of my posts too? Well….

Why would a woman feel empowered if she’s dressed like a victorias secret model or a samba dancer?

Because they get to wear what they want…rather than what men tell them how to dress. Also, no one’s suggesting Victoria’s Secret underwear armor.

According to you?

According to facts, sweetheart.

You can bend and twist the argument to include Lara Crofts butt or how helpless Princess Peach seems but none of that translates to GW2 where women aren’t portrayed as either.

You’re talking about NPCs, not our characters.

The argument from the post you were quoting was indeed about NPCs…or at least included them in the overall portrayal of women in videogames…or are we dismissing examples here? I guess Anita Sarkeesian’s whole video on tropes vs women completely misses the point because all the female characters she talks about that hurt the image of women don’t matter because they’re just NPCs we get to save.

Mad Queen has said everything you need to understand. Go over her posts. Before and after you read each post think of this question:

I have read all of MQM’s posts and respect MQM’s opinion and freedom to express said opinion.

(edited by Leo G.4501)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ethos.4820

Ethos.4820

That’s the thing when it comes to revealing clothing.. People get all hyped up, saying it’s sexual and it’s provocative, but really…

It’s because you viewed it as sexual and provocative..
Skin =/= sexual

It just means you don’t like the revealing of other people’s skin and you’re just feel uncomfortable about revealing skin (whether it’s yourself or others), or simply you have no self control but to look at it in a sexual way..

It’s only sexual if you look at it like so..
(same goes if you make everything into a sexual joke.. anything can be made into a sexual joke if you’re creative enough.. xD)

It’s YOUR life, not THEIRS

(edited by Moderator)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Run Away PLZ.7639

Run Away PLZ.7639

I’d just say the game need more skins of armor in general and preferably not gem shop related. Also don’t see why the cultural armors are exclusive to the race when the weapons aren’t. You mean to tell me a race is willing to just freely sell their weapon secrets but god help you if you want to dress like them?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

shouldnt you guys be more worried about the objectification of women in real life than a video game?

that said, 2:1 sensible to skimpy ratio and ill be happy.

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

in Suggestions

phlemhacker.1372

That’s the thing when it comes to revealing clothing.. People get all hyped up, saying it’s sexual and it’s provocative, but really…

It’s because you viewed it as sexual and provocative..
Skin =/= sexual

It just means you don’t like the revealing of other people’s skin and you’re just feel uncomfortable about revealing skin (whether it’s yourself or others), or simply you have no self control but to look at it in a sexual way..

It’s only sexual if you look at it like so..
(same goes if you make everything into a sexual joke.. ANYTHING CAN BE MADE INTO A SEXUAL JOKE IF YOU’RE CREATIVE ENOUGH.. xD)

This really sums up the argument. There is nothing inherently sexual about clothing or even the lack thereof. It is the actions of a person that determine how they should be seen and treated. Now historically, at least in this country, revealing clothes started to be associated with hookers and whatnot because that is what a lot of them wore. In this game however, none of the characters in the game perform any actions that would get them labeled as sexual objects, and therefore should not immediately be assumed that’s what they are.

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

This really sums up the argument. There is nothing inherently sexual about clothing or even the lack thereof. It is the actions of a person that determine how they should be seen and treated. Now historically, at least in this country, revealing clothes started to be associated with hookers and whatnot because that is what a lot of them wore. In this game however, none of the characters in the game perform any actions that would get them labeled as sexual objects, and therefore should not immediately be assumed that’s what they are.

I’m going to disagree with that. While it is true that many of the women in this game are portrayed normally. The fact that sexy outfits had to be included for women, but not for men, shows that video games still haven’t gotten over the “women are hot” phase yet. It is objectification of women. And it has been going on for a very long time now. I encourage many of you to watch this video from Extra Credits regarding women in video games. It might open your eyes to what we’re objecting to:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I’m going to disagree with that. While it is true that many of the women in this game are portrayed normally. The fact that sexy outfits had to be included for women, but not for men, shows that video games still haven’t gotten over the “women are hot” phase yet. It is objectification of women. And it has been going on for a very long time now. I encourage many of you to watch this video from Extra Credits regarding women in video games. It might open your eyes to what we’re objecting to:

Just curious. Are you against women being attractive?

in Suggestions

Leo G.4501

The fact that sexy outfits had to be included for women, but not for men, shows that video games still haven’t gotten over the “women are hot” phase yet.

That’s like asking humans not to act like humans. Even women think women are hot…but I guess we should be politically correct about it?

I’m just saying, that part seems like expecting the world to spin in the other direction. It won’t happen any time soon and for good reason…it helps propagate the species.

in Suggestions

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Just curious. Are you against women being attractive?

If you had watched the video, you would not be asking that question dear.

As they explain in this episode from Extra Credits, there is nothing wrong with women being portrayed as sexy. But it is the sexist marketing that is so pervasive in the industry, that sets a terrible example. And that just bothers a lot of people, and not just women.